Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ordering a New Truck

truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in GMC
Hi All. Ok, looking at 2000 GMC Sierra SLE 4WD
Ext. Cab 4 door.

My problem right now - most of 2000 are whatever
is left on lot unless you order a 2001. I have
NEVER ever ordered a vehicle in my life. There are
some specifics on a truck inwhich I want and some
I dont.

I talked with a dealer who gives my company
supposedly good discounts ($50 over factory
invoice). But, he checked and couldn't find the
truck I wanted in a 2000 so he suggested getting a
quote on a 2001 order. What is all involved in
this? If I order the truck, am I locked into this
truck? My hesitation is that I haven't seen the
2001 model and don't know all the specifics with
it.

HELP!

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Id order one. Its yours and no one elses (people test driving it and such). Most dealerships ask for a deposit when you place an order. I put down $1000 on my truck just because i could have put anything down. I would say dont put more than $500 down. I doubt you are locked into anything if for some reason you dont like the truck but im sure you will. Just ask for your deposit back if your not satisfied. My order didnt take very long to go throigh and the truck to be built. If i was you id start early so its not a long wait.

Ryan
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Hey Ryan, Would you believe I was supposed to hear (On Monday) from the guy who represents our company and gives our company deals on trucks and never did. I think I'll call him again this afternoon.

He didn't have a 2000 in the specifics I wanted and he was supposed to have 3 coming in (a white, storm grey, and pewy pewter. (sorry for anyone who has a pewter one). I may see what the white and storm grey is equipped with - then I could decide if I order or not.

Look out, if I decide to order, I'll need MORE advise........giving you fair warning now.

Truckchic
    is more fun. Gotta wait and keep bugging your salesman. I wouldnt have done it any other way.

ORDER IT !!! Get exactly what you want (i know you want blue too dont get white)

Ryan
    What is wrong with White?
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    give yourself the experience that like RYAN says
    is a onetime high that only you can enjoy. go
    through the ordering process and have a truck
    that was built for you and only you. there's
    something about getting into it for the first
    time and knowing it's only on the dealers lot
    because you had it built. no one else has abused
    it.

good luck,
    red
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    order it. You'll not regret doing it that way even if it does take longer. You'll also have the opportunity to change your mind a bit - adding or removing options - while your waiting for a build date.
    Nothing is wrong with white. I thought you decided on blue??? SOunds like me i wanted silver for a yr and a half then i seen a million of em so i got blue. Get what you like. Dont take it just because it is there.

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    But Ryans truck WAS abused...it had 200 or so miles on it when he bought it..

- Tim
    It had 93 mls on it. All put on by the salesman who by the way is a very good friend.

Ryan
    One of my best friends and I Built a big block Buick 455 in a Skylark...that thing flew...one day it needed to go to the trans shop and it was very farr for him and close for me...so we traded cars and I took it for him...

being my "good friend".....of course I just babied the heck out of it......(uh huh)

- Tim
    There is no way I'd settle for a color......White ain't bad, silver neither, Love the blue, but hey, I'll have to wait and see. White kinda sticks out a night though and then the cops can see me better, that's what I don't like about it.

I'd have to see how much the new ones are and what options the 2000's in his stock are.

Time will tell. That darn salesman hasn't called me back yet! Ugh! I hate salesmen!!!!

Ok, I'm done ranting.
    that was my point.

...red
  • 2timer2timer Member Posts: 27
    took 4 weeks to get it 2000 Sierra SLT 4dr 5.3 storm grey.
    the 98 I had was one that just happened to be on the lot. This time I wanted the truck with everything I wanted on it. I wouldnt do it any other way now. Its an awsome experience knowing that noone else drove it cept the guy who loaded and unloaded it off the truck and the salesman who hid it in the back so it wouldnt be bothered.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Remember your Participant's Agreement!

No profanity - actual or redactive(characters instead of letters).

Stay on topic!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    wave and was wiped out...or white out...now what was the topic...oh yeah

Just cause you ordered the truck doesn't mean that it wouldn't be used as a demo...for a couple of spins around the block. A lot of damage could be done in only .5 miles. In fact a lot of damage can me done in a .25 mile...ask anyone associated with NHRA ;)...just saying cause you ordered it doesn't mean it won't be abused. Take Ryan's truck for example...93 miles, a little more and it would have been considered used...and no one took a lie detector test so we really don't know now do we...
    OK...where is the profanity?????...why was my post deleted??....do you know?

Lose the format talking and talk to us normal...

- Tim
    I am very (for a lack of a better word) ticked off now. This is ridiculous. Cant even carry on a simple conversation nowadays without being threatened. Watch im gonna get the ax now. People out there (you know who you are) deleting posts and hiding and also not explaining why. HMMM Could this be one of those onstar conspiracys???

Ryan
    One of those posts was mine and i know why it got the white out. I said _ _ _ _ the man.

Obyone my truck wasnt even close to being considered used. It had so many miles because i had accessories added.

Ryan
    admit it
    Its an old beater now

Ryan
    Ok, could I have caused the warning from meredith because I said what I said about my feelings towards salesmen? If I did, I will apologize right now.

Sorry Meredith. Didn't mean to offend.
    it wasnt that turckchic.

Ryan
    Truck not turck
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    What you said was fine. People rant about salesmen all the time. Generally the first thing they ever post is a rant about salesmen. It's a rite of passage...

As I said before, order your truck. There's nothing worse than looking at it 6 months down the line and thinking "I wish I'd got it with the...". OK, there are worse things, but you get my point.
    Ok, this was the deciding factor. Got a quote from a local dealer for a 2000 truck which was on the lot. Got a quote from a dealer who is a little further away but works with my company (the salesman is in fleet sales) This quote was for a new 2001 to order it. he said he'd give it to me for $100 over invoice. This happened to calculate $70 more than the 2000 which was on the lot. Not too bad I thought.

Any ideas. My other idea: I'm not planning on towing anything with the truck. Don't have anything to tow. So, I thought I could aways add a tow package later.....would this be a terrible thing to do? Help me out. I don't want to spend the extra $300-400 for a tow package I wont use.

Truckchic (who's learning more about trucks every second)
    Ok, this was the deciding factor. Got a quote from a local dealer for a 2000 truck which was on the lot. Got a quote from a dealer who is a little further away but works with my company (the salesman is in fleet sales) This quote was for a new 2001 to order it. he said he'd give it to me for $100 over invoice. This happened to calculate $70 more than the 2000 which was on the lot. Not too bad I thought.

Any ideas. My other idea: I'm not planning on towing anything with the truck. Don't have anything to tow. So, I thought I could aways add a tow package later.....would this be a terrible thing to do? Help me out. I don't want to spend the extra $300-400 for a tow package I wont use.

Truckchic (who's learning more about trucks every second)
    Its not a big deal to add the tow package later on. I got it i figured spending 30K+ might as well spend the $285 more. My cousin got his reese installed on his sonoma about a yr ago for $175 i think. Only thing is with the tow package you get the trans cooler. If you got an aftermarket you wont get this. if you really have no plans on towing i would say forget it then you could always add a hitch. I am planning on towing in the future thats why i got it. (saving for a jetski or boat and might take my cousins snowmobile to michigan this winter).

Good Luck on the order

Ryan
    appears Ryan's heading up your way this coming winter in his used truck...

Ordering trucks-

Ordering...depends on how long you are keeping the truck and how PARTICULAR you are in your needs. Since I lease one of my vehicles, as long as 80% of needs met, I'll take it. eg. color, xcab, engine size. To me it doesn't matter if it has aluminum or chrome rims as long as it isn't carmine red...and since the lease is for only 3 years it is really not a big deal.

Even on the company truck which is assigned to me for the next 5 years, as long as it had a/c, power windows, V8, and auto trans...it was ok, cause I added another $7K in mods anyway. PLUS I don't like to wait for anything...e.g you can drive a truck almost exactly what you want TODAY, but choose to order a truck that takes 2-3 months to get here. That's 2-3 months of wasted opportunity and emotion. Opportunity cause you could be driving a great truck now but decide not too causing more wasted time checking on order status and when it does get here, you may change your mind about it anyway. Emotional cause of "I wonder when it's going to get here syndrome which will drive you and the salesman crazy. Especially after waiting 3 months to find your order deleted due to constraints. After the deletion the next emotion will be pure anger...so buy a truck today...

Ryan-
    Of the 93 miles placed on your truck "getting options added" I'm positive that WOT was achieved more than once. And would that WOT be considered abuse? Think about it..the salesman that you said was your friend who would never do that...you never met prior to going to that dealership...not to say that he is...but are all car salespersons trust worthy? more so one that is your age? LOL

Sorry for the long post, I hope I've covered everything and in the correct language so as to insure that this post makes it past the twelve hour time stamp...
    for some reason this truckchic sounds alot like
    Cryin' Ryan. what do you think? remember how he
    could never make up his mind. to tow or not to
    tow! Hmmm maybe trying to get our opinions for
    his real truck. we never have seen the pictures
    we were all promised now did we.

...red
    not trying to be difficult, BUT any pics of the registration/ownership papers. Not for me but for all the other non-believers....you could cover the address part,just show the name and VIN....should be enough to convince red...

Dean

oh, BTW it's easier to talk to a wall...most of the time... ;)
    ..your post may go bye bye now...

Oby,

not sure I agree about the emotion and lost opportunity?....if you sit back and live life..what's the problem?....now if you sit and drool on the keyboard for 8 months before you order and 28 days after you order like Cryin'.......

LOL

Chill Cryin'......you are too easy.....we are sure you have a Tund..err..Silverado....(pretty sure)

Red,

I do notice that Ryan sparks up quite a bit when Truckchic pops in...

- Tim
    Those pics are of the truck before i picked it up. I dont have access to a scanner i dont own one and its an inconvience to use the one at school. AS soon as i get the pics of all my accessories developed (2 wks hopefully after i get my tail light guards) ill post em asap.

Ryan

Why dont you believe me? Why cause im 20 yrs old and bought a 30K+ Truck? Its called hard work
    it could also be called rich parents....LOL

Tim
    that's true about the ordering and emotional, but i keep thinking of Ryan when people tell me they are ordering one. Life becomes difficult for those close to that type of individual especially the last couple weeks prior to arrival... ;)
    Sorry man but your wrong. My parents arent rich. They are paying for their 2000 blazer and my college (yes they are paying my college about 5K a yr). Parents didnt pay for my truck but my mom did pay for my nerf bars (guess she thinks i needed them for her). I worked 60-80 hrs a wk for the past 2 summers and through school about 30-35 hrs a wk (most on weekends) and saved everything.

Its amazing what you can do when you want something so bad.

Ryan
    lower blood pressure will come with age young grasshopper....

CHILL!!!!!

You would be toooo easy to raz in real life..as you are here....

we believe you have a truck..(somewhere)....and that you payed for it....(mostly)

LOL

heheehehhee

- Tim
    with this picture....

Why does Mom and Dad have to pay $5k a year for education, while Junior goes out and buys a $30K truck? OK, so what's wrong with this picture?
    HINT: it has something to do with priorities...
    No actually they made me a deal if i stayed close to home (school is 3-5 min away) they would pay for it. If i went away i had to pay. Why not stay close to home, friends family work is all here.

Junior wasnt the only one who bought a 30K truck they did too.

Also their reasoning butter me up now so when they retire they can move in or close to me so i can take care of them AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! like that will happen haha.

Ryan
    Do I hear jealousy turning the corner in this forum....What's wrong guys....you think I take Ryans advise over everyone? I listen to everybody's advise. Rayn and I live in the same part of the country so he understands some of the needs of winter driving better than some. Not sure where you all live, but there are alot of folks on here from Western part of country who haven't driven in snow and some of them freek out if it rains, so I don't take advise about needing or not needed stuff from them.

Anyway.....I could be mean, but I won't (cause that's not me). I really appreciate all the help all of your have given me! Besides, I haven't bought a BRAND new truck before...bought a car but that's totally different than the options available on a truck. So....I needed advise (which is what this thing is here for) so I don't get screwed (oh shoot, can I say that?) by those salesmen who see a female walk in and think - easy sale. NOT WITH THIS CHICK.

Besides, Ryan doesn't have a motorcycle and I prefer guys who ride. Sorry Ryan........

:-)
    Thats alright ill be able to manage. I am involved with someone at the moment anyways.

I am glad to be of any help to anyone. I went through all this stuff and it was alot of fun (makes you wanna buy a new one every yr) i just want to make everyone purchase easy as mine.

Ryan
    nope none here...besides, we here in the western most state in the Union experience snow only at the 10,000 ft. level...however, we do have mudslides, flash floods, major rain storms, and once in a great while volcano eruptions...Hmmm..I wonder if the 4x4 would help me thru a lava flow... ;)
    lava flow? Now, that I'd be willing to come out and see. That would be cool.

truckchic
    We have floods, rain, blizzards, tornados the weather around here is kinda extreme one minute sunny next tornado weather. Or one minute sunny and cool and next cold dark and snowy.

better get some chains for them tires for the lava flow.

Ryan
    says the tires would be toast in a few seconds with lava.....I'd love to see it though...

LOL

Oby,
    I was on The big island (Hilton was awesome), Kaui? (don't ask me how to spell it), Maui, and main island..(aloha?) back in 95..it was nice there...flying over the volcanos was cool too. Big Island was too wierd..like the moon on one side from lava...and garden on the other side..

All in all...I commend Ryan for buying a 30K truck almost all cash at his age....I didn't do that at 20...(course 14K then was about 30K now??)

However...I would have put it towards a house...could have been a nice down payment...you gotta get your prioritys straight man!

- Tim
    Yea all my friends wanted me to buy a house down at purdue (turn it into a frat house i guess). They all wanted to mooch off me forget that. I am in my truck more than im in my house at this age. House and tahoe are next

Ryan
    We (the family) usually take a trip to the Big Island (Hawaii) and stay at the Hilton Waikaloa. Originally built by Chris Hemmeter in the '80's for about $600 million and became a Hyatt property fell into hard times during Hawaii's economic slump and was sold to Hilton for $300 million. 50% discount...Truly an awesome property with four towers so far apart that there is a tram or a lagoon boat ride connecting the towers. A few lucky individuals get to swim with the dolphins kept there...a place anyone going to the Big Island should at least visit. Island of Kauai made national news once in the 80's and in the 90's as they were hit twice by a hurricane. It was so unreal...an island that small in the middle of the Pacific where the eye of both hurricanes passed directly over the island. Damage unbelievable. Ryan mentioned something about tornados...nothing compared to a hurricane. Getting back to the lava...come within 100' of a flow is like putting yourself directly above a BBQ. Will turn your facial hair to zilch. I forgot the movie which starred Pierce Brosnan who drove thru a lava flow with a Ford SUV, tires melting and burning...no way lava would have exploded the gas tank in seconds....back to topic.

Like I said earlier...why order when you can drive a new one today...unless of course you need a 2500 or 3500.

Buying a $30k truck at 20 years of age mostly cash is pretty good...waste in my opinion...cause you can sleep in a house...a little more comfortable than in a truck....and the chicks will be more impressed with the house than with the truck...especially if they are thinking of marrying the sucker...LOL
    I have 3 yrs left of school (damn thing takes 5 now) i am cool living at home its no big deal. Trust me chicks are impressed with my truck. Kinda a waste??? Alot of people tell me that. i got what i wanted and im very very happy why is it a waste??? "One mans waste is anothers gain." haha

Ryan
    maybe out of just curiosity...a small survey of the girs that you know personally and would consider to be friends...ask them if they would be more impressed if a guy owned a house and drives a junk or if they owned a nice truck and lived at home with Mom and Dad..on second thought bad idea as I think we both know the answer to that. Not criticizing your decision. Just shedding some light on the subject so you don't go throwing away more money on mods and such..;)
    should read "a small survey of the girls..."
    haha man you sound like my mom. "QUIT SPENDING MONEY ON YOUR TRUCK" this after i told her i ordered tail light guards.

Would you like to go out on a date with a guy (if you were a girl of course) that drove a junky car? Then go back to his place and be alone?

Or would you like to go out and have people look at you in a NICE NEW truck and go back to his parents place and be alone still? Kinda wierd i know but there are ways to get around it.

Girls dont really care where you live (well at least around here they dont) i have never been asked do you have your own place or do you still live at home.

Ryan
    taht last posts states clearly you have some to learn about girls....not having to wonder when Ma and Pa will be back is much better than how you got there...

Oby,

The hilton was great...we would go back in an instant...My wife got to swim with the dolphins...of course it comes at a price..

we decided to spend a night at Hilo as well.....ickkk!....never...never will we go back there..(except for the copter ride)

LOL

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.