Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    edited November 2010
    Wow...all the hits the Azera took for its suspension issues and now, the 2006-2008 Azera has been chosen by Edmunds as one of the best used car values for the large sedan segment.

Offering an upscale look inside and out and a number of unexpected luxury features for a reasonable price, the Azera also boasts the solid build quality and steadfast reliability that Hyundai is becoming known for. Strong crash test scores, smooth and refined performance and a quiet ride round out the Azera's impressive resumé. :shades:
  • donvickdonvick Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2010
    I do my own oil changes using Wix filter & Mobil 1 or Pennzoil full synth.

Apparently the last oil change I did not change the O-ring on the filter canister cap. About 5,000 miles into it, the oil started leaking around the cap flange.
    I kept getting puddles under the car and it was driving me nuts trying to locate the leak.

It was minor though it collected in the small tranny wells molded into the casing. Over time the puddles grew larger.
    This morning, Saturday, I removed the engine cover again and started the engine. Oil began to ooze out of the cap flange around the front portion of the canister.

I looked around and discovered a new O-ring in the trunk with the tools. Hmmm, must not have changed it out last time.

I swapped it out and all appears to be fine now. No leaks from the canister cap flange area.

Make sure you change the O-rings when you do an oil change or it will bite you at a later date.

We have 88,000 miles on this 2006 Azera Limited and love it. The Kumho tires are excellent, quite and plush ride.

The front seat heater seems to take longer to warm up but no biggy so far.
    Also the rear window shade has been inoperative for the last month or so.

The AM side of the radio is still lousy reception, FM is superb. I'm thinking the heavy window tinting may have messed up the AM reception qualities. Been this way since we bought it.

Have not yet changed the brake pads as all appears to be fine. Like another poster has mentioned, ours are mainly highway miles.

Vick
    Donvick...sounds like everything is indeed going pretty good for you.

88k miles and still on the original brake pads, huh? I do a lot of city driving so I've been through a few pair myself. I actually use Akebono ceramic pads via RockAuto.com and they are great pads.

I am approximately 10k miles ahead of you with my '06 and the only thing I really need to address is the upper control arm on the driver's side and the ball joint on the passenger side (i'll probably do both sides just to have them done).

Other than that...the seat heaters warm up nicely, rear shade still works and I've been rolling on the General Altimax tires as of late.
  • eod132eod132 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know how to disconnect the sensors at the front of the car. There is an on/off switch in the steering column but it defaults to ON each time the car is started.
    Someone tell me where there is a hanging wire so i can cut the damn thing with a pair of side cutters and put an end to the incessant beeping of this pest device.
    I thought it was a good idea at the time i bought the car but know 12 months on, i hate the bloody thing !
    Mike
    Gold Coast Australia
    About the only thing I can suggest is to look in the fuse box to see if you see a fuse listed for the parking sensors...if so, pull it and it would deactivate them.
    Upper control arm? What's it doing?
    No problems here along that line, far as I know anyway.

Just passed the 100,000 mile mark about 3 weeks ago. Did a brake job at about 99,000 miles. Started a squeak/scrape noise up front. Took it in to the dealer, Groppetti in Visalia, Ca. Turned rotors and new pads, $300 with new Air Filter swap.

Car still running great, A/C still blowing cold air in our 100+ valley temps. The Khumho tires still tracking true and quiet (Highly recommend these). Mileage still up at 28 mpg on the trips to Reno, Long Beach and Palm Desert.

Geez I love this car. I'd buy another. No negatives here.

Wish Hyundai would come out with a pickup truck.

Don
    The problem is whenever I go over a speed bump or hit a pot hole or anything that makes it move up & down...it squeaks loudly. The issue is the bushings within the control arm have deteriorated.

I totally avoid taking my Azera in to get the brakes done...total rip of with them. The squeak/scrap you heard is the sensor built into the brake pad letting you know that it's time to have them replaced. I have had my Azera now for just over 111k miles and have never had the rotors turned, just keep replacing the pads as needed.

Like yours, my A/C is still blowing cold and everything else is working wonderfully. I actually just upgraded my headlights with an HID kit about 2-3 weeks ago and I wish I had done it earlier.

Mike
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    Mike

Sounds like you like the HID's.....How much $ and was it labor intensive to install...I've got Sylvania Supers in mine for 6 yrs now...don't drive much @ night....just installed Hawk Ceramic pads @ 30k...didn't need them, but got a great deal 4 pairs for $60 on a clearance+ free shipping...
    Actually...I LOVE the HID's! LOL

I got mine off of eBay for $32 (free shipping). It took me about 20 mins to install...the hardest part was popping out the headlight housing to mount the ballasts inside the front fenders with the double sided tape. I've had the Sylvania Supers before and the HID's are much better & from a cost standpoint...better as well. HID's last longer than halogens.

Wow...4 prs. of pads for only $60!!! Yeah, that was an awesome deal!!! I think I paid $60 for the last pair I ordered, but that's still better than what most folks would charge anyway.
  • bw06bw06 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to remove the Driver side arm rest. I need to replace the one on my 2006 Azera.
  • plannermannplannermann Member Posts: 14
    Just passed 78K - the only thigns that have really gone wrong were the dash needed to be replaced twice. Last week my sunscreen stopped working last week, frozen in the up position - dealer said $125 just to tell me what is wrong - i said forget it. He told me can cost up to $700-800 to fix, i told him i will help it down myself and will not pay $800 to fix that.

My only other issue is i have a 1-inch tear in the leather on the door where i rest my elbow while driving - any thoughts on reparing that?

I am pretty sure that i will keep this car for another 4-5yrs before i consider a new one? Maybe a K-7???:-)
    I'm reading this from Australia and I have a 2010 Grandeur/Azera which only has 15000 kms. I have had no trouble of any kind and i reckon it is better than many of the upmarket Euro cars i have owned in the past. The sad thing is that this model was regarded as an expensive car in Australia and because of the brand name not many were being sold. A few months ago Hyundai ceased imports to our country because over here they sell mainly little cheap models. I'm really annoyed by this move but they assure me i will be able to get parts etc into the future. Having said that, they offered no apologies for the fact my almost $50000 car is now worth nothing as the car no longer exists in the market place. I wish i could buy a new Genesis or Equis from your country but the sales and import tax would more than double its cost. You guys have a wonderful range of cars at extremely cheap prices and i often laugh when i see people whinging about the cost of your cars. We are now exporting the top of the range GM Caprices to the US to be used a Police cars for around 20 odd grand. Over here the same car with better interior cost about $70+ grand. As for your split leather, any upholstery shop can fix that for a small cost and i'm sure you can get your sun roof fixed somewhere other than a Hyundai dealer for a lot less than the figure quoted. Enjoy you 2006 Azera because at least you can buy another one where i can't.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    edited August 2011
    I can NOT understand why a country will place such high import duties on a vehicle. If there were a cynical pact between a government and a union (or unions) to protect a home-soil industry, I can see the reason, harmful to all the rest of that nation's consumers though it be, but otherwise I don't see it.

I remember when I was assigned to NATO in Italy in the late '70s and was allowed to import a duty-free '77 Honda Accord (which would be shipped back OUT of Italy when I left, or dumped at sea with the papers to prove it or the duties would be charged retroactively). I asked an Italian I worked with why there were so few Japanese cars on the Italian roads and he told me that, to protect Italian brands, the government and unions had agreed that there would be a 3,000-per-year Japanese automobile import limit in place, all Japanese marques totaled...
    Sadly it is all about unions and their Labor Goverment lackies protecting a union based workforce. Our own motor industry, Holden and Ford, are heavily protected and subsidized and as a result the product has always been a basic car with a high price. I have spent a great deal of time in your country and I am envious at the price you pay for your own cars and those from other lands. In fairness I guess there should be a price difference due to population and sales but our prices are way over the top. A BMW of any quality here would be around 80 -90 k for just a fully optioned 3 series and up to 250k for a 7 series. Only idiots and super rich can afford these cars. I recall once being served by a black man in JC Penny's who told me he owned a 5 series. Your Azera would have been half the price of mine! I must also state that our government, which is controlled by the unions, will allow us to import a ten year old yank muscle car with no significant taxes BUT the shipping and handling costs by the unions will negate the savings. I know it is hard to believe but it is a sad fact and a price we pay to live in the best country on the planet.
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    I've got a 2006 Azera, 24,000 miles, VERY carefully driven and in just about pristine condition. My passenger side front fender liner just came loose, and makes a lot of noise, probably rubbing against a tire. Has anyone else had this problem, and SHOULD this have happened? I didn't drive in snow, hitting any large frozen clumps, don't recall driving over any debris, etc....Thoughts, anyone?
    I've got just over 118K miles on my '06 Azera and have NEVER had a fender come loose. Definitely something to get checked out. Good luck!!!
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Are you sure it's the fender liner? There's a couple long plastic covers under the car - one on each side in midcar area - that are held on by screws that don't have large enough heads. They can ( and do ) come loose front or back, drag on the ground, and make a loud scraping sound. It's a common problem.
    Allmet33, thanks for the rapid input. Cobrazera, you might be right. Yesterday, I tried to have a look under the car, but, due to a second new knee in July, following one in January, I couldn't actually KNEEL (really lets me be lazy in church, though) down to have a proper look. I just checked with a flashlight, comparing left and right front fenders, and both liners appear to be intact. So, the mid-car liner must be the culprit, although I don't see anything actually touching the ground. The sound is just like one would hear if the car was dragging a branch along the roadway. Anyhow, guys, thanks loads for your input. I don't know what we would do without the MANY helpful comments you have offered over the past years....Phil
    Maybe yours just flops down when the wind hits it. When the one on my Azera failed, I was able to push it back up - and as long as I kept under 45MPH, it wouldn't scrape on the ground.
    The fix was screws with bigger washers to hold the original part better - about $25 at the dealer's. They maintained it was caused by a road hazard, so didn't cover it under warranty.
    I have found the Hyundai warranty to be mainly hype. This problem, the chipping fake wood steering wheel, my cracked dash which is out of warranty, etc. seem to occur on most Azeras, but the dealer always come up with a reason why it's not their fault.
    You NAILED IT ! Two screwheads at the front of the plastic on the passenger's side had pulled, through, and I couldn't see anything wrong, for it only folded down when the wind hit it while the car was moving. When I stopped to look underneath, it had sprung back up. A couple of over-sized washers did the trick at my local Texaco dealer's, who also found the beginning of a crack or two on the left front one. He put a couple of washers over there too. Very disappointing to hear of the lousy attitude of your Hyundai dealership. Considering that it was a ten-minute fix involving a handful of washers, any HONORABLE dealership would have done the job gratis ! People of MY generation have been accustomed to having things done just that way, but then, having been born in the heyday of Glen Miller and Benny Goodman, I realize things have changed BIG TIME !

p.s. It would be a good idea, I think, for all Hyundai owners with similar plastic panels beneath their vehicles to have a look next time the car is up on a rack for service, and pop in a couple of washers if any cracks are apparent near the screw heads, just to prevent what has happened to you and me....This is a poor design, and Hyundai should "Man-Up", admit it, and fix their error no matter how old the car is....Otherwise, they are deliberately planting a bad taste in the mouths of present and potential future customers...
    Wow...... my wifes 2006 Azera had one of those lower panels drop down 2 years ago. I wired it up in place enough so she could get to the dealer, http://www.visaliahyundai.com/ and they replace the entire panel under warranty. Then the next spring the passenger side fell down, they also replaced that one under warranty.
    I suspect your dealerships do not want to mess with the company's warranty paperwork etc?
    We have 108,000+ miles on the car now and love it to death. Still looks good, drives well and comfy too. We'll buy another if and when this one goes belly up.
    I've noticed quite a few of the other brands newer auto's are looking more like the Azera styling.

Sure wish they'd make a pickup.

Vick
    Happy to hear you located the source of the noise. BTW, my carping about the Hyundai warranty and my particular dealership, does not mean that we are disappointed in the car. Our '06 is 5 years old now, and other than the previously related minor problems, it has been ( and still is ) a fantastic car!
  • stunnerdocstunnerdoc Member Posts: 3
    hi everyone,

i am new to the usa and am in the process of buying my first car..i loved a 2006 single owner azera limited up for sale and i am getting this car on road for 13500$ . the car has run 55,500 miles. I have very minimum experience about cars and i just want to know if this car is a worthy investment and if it will run another 50,000 to 60,000 miles if well maintained. As of now , the car looks really clean at the time of purchase. The second question is what are the recommended maintainence that i shud check at this time before buying the car. Does it need any mandatory replacements at this time?
    Any help would be much appreciated. :)
    The Azera engine and transmission and electrical system have been strong performers. With 55k miles the few relatively minor problems the car may have had have probably been seen to. If the rear window screen goes up and down satisfactorily, if any slight noise in the front struts is not a problem to you, if a visible line in the passenger-side dash (outlining the air bag) is inconsequential to you, you likely have a good deal. My 2006 Azera has a few thousand miles more than that used Azera has and I'm still quite satisfied.. and I bought new in November 2006...
    thanks gamleged,

have you had any major issues with the car so far and wat would u cask the dealer in particular regarding maintenance of the car if you were to buy this car now.
    I want to tick off from a checklist so that i am sure that the dealer has done the necessary maintenance eg oil change, filter change etc before he sells me the car.
    also is this an easy maintenance car like the more popular japanese brands. Are spares readily available and are repairs expensive? thx
    No problem with Azera maintenance. One item not yet mentioned is that the Azera engine uses a timing chain - not a belt - so a costly belt change is a maintenance item you don't need to worry about.
    If I had just purchased a car with the age and miles you describe, I would check in any records that may have been left with the car in order to see if the radiator and transmission fluids have been changed. If not, I would have those items done. Otherwise, oil changes every 5000 miles or so should be all you need.
    There are a few very minor items that most Azera's seem to have, so I would recommend reading through old blogs for info on those, and also for some tips to enhance the Azera ownership experience. Welcome to the blogs!
    Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Hyundai family. I for one am one who has had a 2006 Azera for the last 5+ years and have racked up just under 119K miles so far. The only major thing I've done (recently) was to get the front struts replaced along with the upper control arm on the driver's side. The upper control arm on the passenger's side was replaced around the 75K miles mark (if I recall correctly). I have plans of replacing the rear shocks in the next couple of weeks. Other than that...I have done nothing more than keep my oil changed, keep the transmission serviced as well as changing brake pads (haven't had to replace the rotors yet).

I live in the DC metro area and have driven my Azera to Orlando, Manhattan/Staten Island (a few times), Cleveland, Atlanta & Kinston NC (several times) and the car is a remarkable road vehicle. I would truly be surprised if you had any major issues with it if you plan on keeping up with the maintenence. Good luck & best wishes for many trouble-free miles!!! :shades:
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    My 07 seems to be getting about 10% worse gas mileage and the power seems not to be what it was . am approaching 60k and the Dealer wants $800 for the service to include changing plugs and cleaning fule injectors.Can't decide if it would be worth it.
    My 2006 is at 57k miles, original plugs (which the book says are good to 97k miles) and no notable difference in performance. I do add a can of Berryman Carb & Injector Cleaner or Techron Concentrate Plus or Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube to the tank every oil change, just in case...
    edited October 2011
    Not sure why they want to charge you $800. Most places I've checked with will charge around $275 to change the plugs. You could have a dirty fuel filter. As Oskidunker1 does...I add a bottle of Berryman's Chemtool to my gas tank with every oil change and I've never had any issues. As in my earlier post...I'm just over 119K miles, still on the original plugs and the engine is still purring and gas mileage is still good.

Try this...get a bottle of Berryman's Chemtool (Walmart, AutoZone...) and then go to a gas station. Pour the bottle of Chemtool in and then fill up wit a tank of premium gas (yes a little more costly than regular, but way less than $800). Then take about and hour and hit a highway for a nice long consistent drive. You may also want to change your air filter if you haven't already. Just a suggestion...
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    I will do that. Interestingly enough, my dealer just emailed me to say from now on they will only reccommend what Hyundai does in the book. So costs will be way down.I am wondering why they are backing off all the nice to do stuff they used to throw in.

Why does Premium Gas help to get your car back in order. I have about 1/4 tank left. Should i wait until empty?
  • armoredfrogarmoredfrog Member Posts: 9
    OSKI, before you buy ANYTHING, you might want to check your tire pressures. 5 psi will cause a 10% hit in mileage (in my Azera). If you run door sticker pressure (30 psi cold) during the summer, your pressure will most likely be ~36-38psi warm soon after a few braking cycles. Now that it getting cooler, if you're still running 30 psi cold, you'll be a lot closer to that pressure during the day. Cooler temps = lower tire pressure = more drag = less fuel mileage. The TPMS sensors (from my experience and test) don't throw a code/light until 22-24 psi.

'07 LTD, 131K miles, original plugs, 28.1 MPG combined city-rural-hwy. (I don't plan on changing plugs until I can see and feel the idle get a little rough or throw a code)

Good hunting, cheers.
  • penzfan1penzfan1 Member Posts: 28
    New to site. Has anyone changed the timing belt on their '06 Azera? I have 38,000 on mine and am considering changing the belt. Opinions? Also, can't figure out why my glovebox light will not lite up. Fuse and bulb check out o.k. but the owners manual mentions a swith which I can't locate. Thanks.
  • armoredfrogarmoredfrog Member Posts: 9
    gamleged,

Timing belt: There is no timing belt on the Azera. There are however 2 timing chains that are designed to last the lifetime of the engine.

If you're referring to the large belt you see when opening the hood, that's the accessory drive belt, which requires inspection only every 30K miles (I replaced mine at 90K).

Glove box light: If your bulb and fuse are ok, check out the door switch plunger, it may be stuck/pushed in (I've noted this once when changing the cabin filter). If the plunger isn't stuck, and if you have a Volt-Ohm Meter, you could test the switch in place.

Good hunting, cheers
    I'm not happy about the high beam cut-off on my car. It seems as if someone is holding a piece of cardboard over the top portion of my headlight, and the beam doesn't project as far ahead as I believe it should. Comments, gentlemen ? Thank you...
    It does have a sharp cutoff. The headlight beam can be raised or lowered, but the sharp cutoff remains unless you convert to an hid system (high intensity discharge)...
    Weird. I could understand a sharp cutoff on the low beams to keep them out of oncoming eyes, but high beams are to be lit with no oncoming traffic.
    I think a lot of it has to do with owners that pay more attention during difficult economic times. It's no secret that dealers try to get you to bring your car in more than it needs to be in there and make you believe the warranty will not be maintained if you don't do so. Of all the cars I've owned, the Azera has been one of the easiest to maintain and the only thing I have had the dealer do (outside of warranty work) is tranmsission & radiator flushes. Everything else I do myself or take it to a trusted mechanic.

As far as premium gas...in most cases they put more detergents which will help clean out your fuel system (along with the Berryman's Chem-Tool). Even though the Azera's engine is designed to burn regular, the higher octane in the premium gas will also ensure better burn-off as well, which will help in cleaning the fuel system. Getting a good long drive at highway speeds will ensure that the engine is completely warmed up and stay that way long enough to make sure any carbon build up on the spark plugs is burned off as well.

Try it and see if you notice a difference. I'm sure it'll beat paying the $800 that the dealer wants. :shades:
    I tell you one thing, I've upgraded to HID's for my low-beam lights and I find that I require the use of high-beams a lot less. There's a sharp cut-off on low beam lights as well...as Gamleged stated, just adjust the headlight housing up a little bit, but not too much because you don't want to blind on-coming traffic.
    Thanks for the reply. One of the Service guys said 2006 was the last year for the t-belt in the 3.8L engine. The A-Drive Belt is fine. I need to talk to that Service Manager as it seems like someones trying to make a quick $$$. Thanks Again
    Tried a bottle of Berrymans Chemtool and a tank of Premium Sunoco yesterday. Hope it gives my 06 Azera a good cleaning. Thanks for the tip
    I've searched high and low for that darn plunger switch and can't seem to find it. Any help? Thanks
    Azera 3.8 never had a timing belt. Ignorance or ripoff?
    Neither ignorance or ripoff...the Azera 3.8 V-6 has always had a timing chain.
  • atlbarbieatlbarbie Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone! Just left my Azera running while I ran back into the house thinking I could unlock it with the remote. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Does anyone know some trick to this that can help me get into my car?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If your car is running RIGHT NOW with the key locked inside, your best bet is to call a Hyundai dealership ASAP. Sometimes it takes awhile to get responses to forums postings because most members don't monitor the posts in real-time.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• atlbarbieatlbarbie Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I figured that was the only solution but I thought I should ask anyway.
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    try the age old solution...use the extra key to unlock the door....if you can get into the trunk the rear seats fold down for a pass thru