Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    I went to the NY Autoshow and was so impressed with this vehicle that I'm considering it as a second vehicle (very nice second vehicle). Anyway, some things to take with a grain of salt based on my conversation with their tech rep:
    1)3.8L V6 producing 265HP/258TQ
    2)Fully loaded less than $30k
    3)Power everything, power lumber, power telescopic steering, everything...
    4)More room and better overall vehicle than the XG (but you knew that already)
    5)Appearing this fall (September) in showrooms.

Oh.. and it's definitely called Azera.
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    you saw this at NY auto show. good for you. Wished we in S. Fla had that same opportunity. Just curious why do say makes good 2nd car? I'm liking it more and more though. I'm really looking forward to test driving this. Maybe it will be better than most of us think. Hmmmm....Hyundai keeps surprising. Nice. :D
    ... because the first is a SUV that we are getting in June ;)
  • cingnokiacingnokia Member Posts: 1
    does this car not remind you just a little of the last Mazda 929 1992-1995
    Mabye. But it has more of a bimmer 7 series look from the rear and Audi/Acura look from the side, the front is more infinit M like, thats what I see from this car. I thought that the new '06 Sonata had more of likeness towards Honda Accord from the rear except that when I saw it in person at the Ft Laud Auto Show it looked nothing at all like that car. The front reminded me of the '03 Camry but just slightly.

I think this design was clever in a way because it reminds of so many other designs that were/are popular but when you actually see this car in person I'll bet you won't really notice this as much. Nice.
    but this car is well noticed and will definitely fill the gap that the XG failed to do.
    bigelm very true. It most definitely will make a brand statement positioning Hyundai as a serious mover and shaker in the competivtive space that Honda and Toyota has consistently dominated. The changing tides are coming and Hyundai is riding a wave of success!
  • bikerpabikerpa Member Posts: 68
    ...how the body accent line over the rear wheels curves to become the trunk seam and then flows into the taillights? I think in person that will be very pronounced, and I think I will really dig it. Subtle, Hyundai, nice and subtle.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I agree. Think it will be one of the styling features that makes the Azera styling stand out.
    while we're talking about styling, I think the grill will be the weakest style point. I looks a little too heavy in the pictures
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    The grille looks like a 97-01 Toyota Camry in my opinion. Overall, I think that the Azera looks very classy though.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I do have to agree that it looks very classy and upscale. Now only if Hyundai will launch an upscale brand... But the Azera would do great as Hyundai's flagship. Are they offering a Navigation System?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    The taillights look like they were lifted off the Honda Accord. The overall shape and design is very similar, if not identical.

Otherwise, this seems to be a very attractive car. I hear it will have around 260 hp, which is good for a large car. That kind of engine really puts Ford to shame for putting a 203hp engine in the fullsize Five Hundred.

I don't think it will come with a nav system, since no Hyundai vehicle has ever had one. But I wouldn't be surprised if a nav system came out in a year or two after release. Didn't Hyundai recently announce that all it's vehicles would come with XM radio standard? That's bound to be a good thing.
    With gas prices surging again, I'm worrying that the 3.8L that they will use in the Azera will have the same gas mileage as the 3.5L in the XG350 (like 18mpg city, ouch) I mean, the Avalon is supposed to get about 22-29, which is very good IMO. I'm glad that Hyundai has dropped the alphanumeric baloney, because it didn't fit iwht the rest of the lineup
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    > The taillights look like they were lifted off the Honda Accord.

It's funny, but three years ago when the new Accord came out, the thing going around on car forums was "the taillights look like they were lifted off a Buick." Apparently horizontal taillights make a strong first impression on people. Perhaps someday Buick (if they're still around) will lift the taillights of a Hyundai...
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    > With gas prices surging again, I'm worrying that the 3.8L that they will use in the Azera will have the same gas mileage as the 3.5L in the XG350...

My crystal ball says 19/28. The other one says 19/29...
    My I35 is rated at 19/26, and I'm fine with it. The ES330, however, has a 20/29 rating, but its only got 225 horsepower vs. the I35's 255.
  • wigan4wigan4 Member Posts: 23
    I'll be amazed if the Limited is less than $30K fully loaded, but if it is, everybody better watch out!
    Wouldn't that be great though? Fully loaded for under $30K...
    So far... that's the target price. Fully loaded under $30k.
  • beer4799beer4799 Member Posts: 23
    Do you think it will be an option this fall? I have read conflicting reports......
    I share your concern about engine size. The car looks like a winner; & I'm ready to replace my trusty 97 Millenia as soon as I see the car. But, since I drive over 100 miles a day, mileage is extremely important and XG 350 mileage would force me to rule it out.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    All of Hyundai's new engines are supposed to get about 20 - 25% better milabe than what they are replacing, so I would expect to see near 20 in the city and 28 on the highway. Just a guess.
    Good. Because the engine in the XG350 got about 200 hp and 18/25. I was a little scared for a moment.

Also, although I love big cars (my dream car is an Arnage) I'm afraid that the Azera may be hard to park. Just a little, because my wife wants a big sedan and we're putting it on hold until the Azera comes out.
  • mleahymleahy Member Posts: 1
    Take a look at the new 2006 BMW M6, it is not due out until early next year, and the rear end looks very much like the new Azera. Who is copying who?
  • xg350xg350 Member Posts: 1
    you purchase the xg350 l i love my car but it looks like everytime i get a new car i see something new mind you i owe a lot on my xg but i have had every car/suv by hyundai good cars i think this ones awinner what are the wheel sizes. :(:(
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Car and driver has a short piece on the Azera in the June issue. Considering Hyundai's recent continuous quality improvements as reported by J.D. Power & Associates, the Azera should be reasonable competition for the Avalon and all other cars in the mid-luxury category.

One question though, will the Azera be manufactured in the U.S.? If so, where? And could the Americanization of the car compromise its quality.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The Azera will be a low-volume car, so it will come from Korea. Hyundai's Alabama plant will build V6 Sonatas, and the new Santa Fe when that begins production next year.
  • eljefe1eljefe1 Member Posts: 12
    Looks a lot like my 2002 Acura 3.5 rl both inside and out
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    Window on the C-pillar is reminiscent of the Elantra GT hatchback. Rear end looks like the Accord, but not as much as the new Sonata's rear end does. Roofline reminds me of the Ford 500. Grille looks bad. Where are the headlight washers? Wheels look really nice, although I would like them to be an inch larger (but keep the same design).
  • schuck1schuck1 Member Posts: 14
    I was just wondering if the headlamps were Xenon or not and if they are dusk sensitive (auto matic).
  • beer4799beer4799 Member Posts: 23
    I have read different things on the web.......It is a deal breaker for me. My other choices are the Avalon or Pilot w/Navi. I guess I will have to wait to find out!
    No navi at least for the first year.
    No HIDs, though the lights are automatic.
    Will the radio be bluetooth compatible for the phone? I read in a post somthing about "smart key". Does this mean the perameter key or the no need for physical key for locks and ignition? I have seen the pictures of the interior and I see an ignition key but no ignition button. This makes me wonder what the "smart key" refers. With the new "reclining" rear seats in sedans, will this be an available option on the Azera as well?

thanks
  • chankaishichankaishi Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

1. Anybody has information what type of gasoline this car will requre?
    2. CD supports MP3 or WMV?
    All Hyundais are designed to run on 87 octane. I can't see that changing with their new engines. The cd will support MP3. What is WMV?
  • chankaishichankaishi Member Posts: 7
    Thanks,

WMV is Windows media file format (more advanced then MP3 in some aspects). MP3 support is good enough for me.
  • lensky3lensky3 Member Posts: 5
    Will the new Azera have either XM or Siri radio?
    All Hyundais will have XM standard within the next year.
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    you mean wma. wmv is video. either way, .wma is a crappy format. i wish more car stereos would play .oggs, though...
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    WMV stands for Windows Media Video
    WMA stands for Windows Media Audio
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    The Azera looks great, but the name stinks!

By the way, anyone hear anything about Hyundai doing a Minivan?
    They will have a minivan coming in 2007.
  • jeenjeen Member Posts: 6
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Very nice pics, but this is not the Azera as it has a hood ornament that the Azera does not. Also, the interior dimensions appear to be compact rather than midsize. Still, it is a fine looking automobile.
    Um... it is the Azera but for overseas... also known as the Grandeur. Go a few pages back and you'll see a link to the website full of pics that have high resolutions to appreciate Hyundai's work.
    Thanks for the posts jeen. Best pics I've seen.
    I saw a picture of an Azera from Korea that had controls of some kind in the rear seat arm rest. Will these be provided in the US model? They appear to be rear seat heater switches, but I am not sure.
    Since Hyundai does not have "On Star" or any other type of hands free phone, will the radio be a "blue tooth compatible" which will allow for hand free phone usage?