Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    If keeping the price as low as possible is your greatest goal, maybe you should try to find either an '05 Accent or '05 Elantra GLS. Amazingly, with rebates, they both cost about the same even though the Elantra has power everything, cruise, etc. According to Carsdirect.com, you can get an '05 Elantra for $11,600. A great deal by anyone's standard.

You also get the 100k warranty, which will help keep the price down on mechanical repairs over the life of the car. Something no used car can offer!
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    The 2006 Accent site is now live.

Check it out here:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/accent/accent.aspx
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I tried it and I think there is a little glitch in it--the MSRP for a loaded Accent with automatic and the PS package came to $27,260 USD! :surprise:

Also it did not add any charge for freight (which I expect will be around $500), and there was no way to ask for floor mats (which probably cost about $80).
  • justine1justine1 Member Posts: 4
    :surprise: I purchased a 2006 Accent this October, I love it except that I don't know how well its going to fare this winter. So far, with only a little bit of snow I have been sliding around, which is quite scary. With a huge snow dump last week,I have found that the wheel wells fill up way too quickly (with packed snow)which leads to the steering wheel shaking at even low speeds. The wipers are garbage for winter also. What I am wondering is has anyone made it thru a winter season with their original tires, or are winter tires a must??
    Welcome to winter! Do you have the Accent hatchback (old design) or the new '06 Accent 4-door sedan? They are much different cars. For one thing, the '06 4-door has standard ABS, which should help in the winter.

The wheel shaking is not due to snow in the wheel wells but inside the wheels, causing the wheels to be off-balance. I've noticed that before a number of times on many different cars over the years. It's easy to correct--wash off the wheels or scrape off the snow.

Most OEM wipers are worthless for winter. Do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of heavy-duty wipers at your local auto parts store. They can help you find the size for your Accent.

If you get a lot of snow, then winter tires might be a good investment. I've done ok with small cars and regular all-season tires, but I live in a city where snow plowing is an art form, so I rarely have to deal with more than 3-4" of snow on the roads.
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    Maybe $27,260 is the Canadian price :)
    At that price, I'll take a Sonata with a side of Accent!!!
    Actually, it looks like what it's doing is adding the base price PLUS the price of it as you configure it. Look to the left when you build it and you'll see the figures.

Mine was base of $12,455 and with options $13,955 for a grand total of $26,410.
    Edmunds.com has the invoice pricing up now for the '06 Accent 4-door. A fully loaded car is $15,330, and invoice is about $1000 under that. The PS package is only $1420, not $1500 as reported, and mats are $65.

Compared to a loaded Elantra GLS, the difference is a little under $1000 sticker-wise but only about $700 invoice-wise. And the Elantra has a $1000 general rebate on it that the Accent does not. So guess what? The larger, roomier Elantra with moonroof, cruise, and traction control actually costs less than the Accent right now. However, the Accent has six airbags vs. four for the Elantra, and the Accent also has alloys and a more powerful audio system. It will be interesting to watch the initial sales reaction to the Accent with the prices a little higher than its bigger brother.
  • jordisjordis Member Posts: 10
    You could not have bought the Accent 2006, it is not even out yet. It is the 2005 which is nothing to compareimage
    The 2006 Accent 3-door hatchback has been available for awhile, but it is the Accent design from 2000-on, not the new design like the 2006 4-door sedan.
    It'll be similar to the new Rio in comparison to the Spectra. The Rio is selling at or near sticker price and Spectra can be had at significant discounts. $13,500 will put you into a Spectra EX (no ABS) or Rio LX (with ABS). Wonder how Spectra sales are faring since the intro of the new Rio?

The Elantra sales probably will suffer, at least at first. The new Accent does look better, IMO. Although, the Elantra has features like moonroof and cruise control that aren't availble on Accent. The good news is, if the new Accent is this good, imagine how great of a car the '07 Elantra will be. I just hope they don't go too conservative on the styling (like they did on the Sonata).
    I like the looks of the Accent's interior better than the Elantra's, but I don't mind the exterior looks of the Elantra. And the Elantra has more interior room, especially in the back seat, than the Accent. Plus the moonroof, cruise, and (important for me here in Minnesnowta) traction control. Even the fuel economy of the stick cars is not that much different, but the Elantra is at least 2 seconds quicker 0-60. I'm not sure the Accent has an adjustable lumbar support, either.

The only real plusses for me with the Accent over the Elantra are better head protection in a side impact (due to the curtain airbags), better fuel economy (especially with the automatics), and a nicer-looking interior. If the Elantra costs less OTD when it's time for me to buy, it will be a hard decision to go with the newer Accent over the Elantra, unless maybe the Accent gets "Good" in all the IIHS crash tests.
    Came across this recent review from Autoweek. Some highlights they mentioned are the standard safety equipment such as six airbags, ABS with brake-force-distribution. The reviewer also mentions the "safe handling" characteristics of the re-designed Accent.

No mention of the interior quality or noise levels but the article does take note of the triple door seals and driver side armrest. Seems like the latter is going to be a big deal especially for cars in this class which are not known for having creature comfort features such as these.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051226/FREE/51214006/1004
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Hyundai dealer here in Pocatello, Idaho not only has no '06 Accents on their lot but they also have none available when you search for new cars on their Internet website, either. They have no '06 Accents and also no '05 Accents or even '04 Accents. What's with their Accent void?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Perhaps this dealer has chosen not to accentuate the Accent.
  • ooiringoooiringo Member Posts: 11
    I heard from 3 dealers in Seattle that they have them in stock. I'm going to drive (and maybe buy) one this Saturday.
    Cool, be sure to tell us how it goes! Also, if you have time, maybe you could drive the Accent and Elantra GLS back-to-back and compare the two, since they are about the same price out the door now, or actually the Elantra is a little less with current rebates.
    I'm also looking forward to your driving the '06 Accent. Make sure and report on the car when you're finished.

My local dealer has some Elantra's for what I think are really reasonable prices. They're in the $13,299-$13,750 range and I haven't gotten out of the Sportage 4x4 to look at how they're equipped but, knowing Hyundai, they're no doubt close to loaded.

I'm thinking of e-mailing or calling Lithia Hyundai of Pocatello, ID, up to inquire about their total lack of accentuating the Hyundai Accent! Whaddup widdat, dudes? :D

• phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Here in SO FL most Hyundia dealers are still awaiting delivery of their first 06 Accent. The few dealers that got lucky were dropped off one or two vehicles. One dealer said that the area Factory Rep. said that the hold up is at the port. Hyundia is playing Santa and checking his list and checking it twice before shipping units to dealers. All dealers should have able supply within two weeks. Guess Hyundia is hoping to have a smooth defect free introduction of the new Accent. Its gonna be a tough sell though at the beginning. With a list of $15.400 loaded and no rebates or cheap financing, most will wait a bit till the hesteria abates and discounts become the rule rather then the exception! Patience everyone......
    There is a $500 loyalty rebate on the new Accent, but that's it for now. But it can't last. I really don't see how Hyundai can think they can demand more money for the Accent than for the Elantra.
    I'm not a big fan of the Elantra styling, but if the price is low enough I very well might forego the new Accent for an Elantra. I'll drive them both unless the sales person comes out of the gates with a good price on the Accent. It's raining like a son of a gun up here so that should make for a good real-world test drive. I'll be sure to test the ABS.
    If the Accents don't sell off the bat, incentives should be very quick to follow. Then again, people are paying $13-14k for Chevy Aveos, so a $15k Accent is a step up for not much more money. Only time will tell...
    Accent, because that's what my 2006 Kia Rio5 is going to cost me towards the end of January, which I'm thinking will be when I trade in. I don't know if Kia will be rebating the '06 Rio's already by then, if I do find out about a rebate I might wait until it becomes effective.

I'm also going to go for the new grad offer that Kia and Hyundai both offer. You get $500 if you have just earned a college degree. I graduated in early May and so I would be eligible. They allow you to use it even if your graduation date was up to a year ago, I believe. Check with Hyundai or Kia on their websites and with your local dealer if you want to get that new grad discount.

I still haven't found out why my local Hyundai dealer isn't offering Accents of any flavor or generation. They do have about 6 2006 Sonata's for sale on the lot.

I think the Rio is a better looking car than the Accent and, if you're going for the Rio5, there isn't a comparable Accent version. The Rio is just such a sharp looking little car.

About a month ago, I emailed several Hyundai dealers to get a quote on a new Sonata GL 5-speed manual just to see how good of a deal I could get. The best one was $15,499 + tax, tag, title. Edmunds show sticker on an '06 Accent GLS 5-speed at $14,415 and TMV of $14,116. Amazing that a Sonata could be had for about $1400 more than a new Accent with the same equipment (Sonata doesn't have alloys, but does have cruise).
    Sonata GL has a lot more on the Accent than cruise: traction control, ESC, active front head restraints, 162 hp, and a lot more interior room and trunk space for example. The Accent's sticker (the Rio's, too) is about $1000 more than it should be, IMO. It's interesting to me that multiple publications had the Accent's base sticker pegged at $11,995 before prices were officially announced. Of course, the real price with destination is $1000 more than that.
    You're right, I forgot all those extra safety features on the Sonata. And the 2.4L would no doubt make it much quicker than the Accent, too. You're also right about the price, the Accent is about $1000 too high and I wonder if rebates/incentives will soon adjust it down to that.

I can't remember- are we getting the 3-door next year or not? If so, I would think it would start out a little lower in price than the 4-door.

On a related but separate note, did you know the Canadians have a 5-door Accent (old body style)? I looked on the Hyundai Canada website to see how their prices compare to ours, but when you go to price it they're still showing the 2005 model. I'm not sure if it's just the wrong picture or the pricing is also for the old one. It's interesting sometimes to see how much less (when adjusted for U.S. currency) cars are priced up there.
    The new 3-door Accent (GS and GSi I think) are supposed to arrive in the U.S. next spring. They look pretty sharp to me. The base 3-door could be an interesting alternative for me--I'll take a 2-door with non-power windows and locks, but not a 4-door. I can't remember seeing the pricing on the 3-door, but maybe it will be cheaper than the 4-door as they shoot for the younger buyers (and parents of teenagers).

I've seen pics of the old-style 5-door from Canada--why can't we get a 5-door in the new design?? Maybe we will in a year or two. I compared the Canadian prices of the '06 Accent 4-door to those in the U.S., using a currency converter on the web, and found that the prices matched pretty closely for comparably-equipped cars. Although the Canadians get bun warmers! :)
    The Canadian Accents have seat heaters? I'm jealous! Heated cloth seats are almost unheard of. I think I saw one or two Focuses (Foci) with heated cloth when I was checking them out about a year ago. All of the Accents with Premium Sport package have heated mirrors, right? Very nice features in this price range.

I wanted heated seats on my Mazda3, but I'd have been forced to spend another $1500 to get a bunch of other stuff including leather, which I don't like.
    That is a low quote on that 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL 5-speed manual, $15,499 + tax, title and license. My concern there is that I want to save money on gas, I wonder how much worse the gas mileage will be on the Sonata than the Rio5. Kia gives mileage estimates on the Rio as 32/35. That is exactly what I want, as Idaho, Nevada and Montana have some very cool ghosttowns that I want to explore, as well as heading just west to the Seattle area to visit my family over there. I will not want my Sportage 4x4's 22/25, though I love my Sportage 4x4 and don't need to trade in already at all.

It's the gas mileage I am after with the '06 Rio5, or '06 Hyundai Accent 4-door. My chances of trading in towards the end of January or early February are about 80% right now, so Edmunds' resources are getting all the more relevant to me right now.

There is hardly any difference between the EPA highway mpg for the Sonata GL 5-speed (34) and the Rio and Accent 5-speeds. So if most of your miles are on the highway, to Seattle etc., the fuel economy shouldn't stop you from looking at the Sonata.
    my local Hyundai dealer has a half a dozen Sonata's on their lot, too. This gives me a totally different slant angle on things, as the Sonata is a great new car.

backy, in your opinion, do the whiners over on the Sonata board really have much to gripe about with the new Sonata? I mean, to me the concerns seem bogus. Front seats that tilt forward too much? Give me a break! This changes my car search to seriously looking at a 2006 Sonata. Are there any current rebates on it? :D

Will a dealer sell me one for only $15,499 with the 5-speed manual and will it have a CD changer and air conditioning? :D

I've always dug the '06 Sonata's styling, it is spot on IMO.

The deal may come down to who will offer the fairest value on my '01 Sportage 4x4 in trade. If it's Robert Allen Kia, I'll get the 2006 Kia Rio5 in Tropical Red and 5-speed tranny, A/C and CD changer, non-power locks, mirrors and windows et al. If it's Lithia Hyundai, it'll be the 2006 Hyundai Sonata in 5-speeds, A/C, CD changer and power W/L/M's. Colors for the '06 Sonata? I like the way the '06 Hyundai Sonata looks in white. They have a white one on the lot and several other colors. The Hyundai dealer is on the way over to the house we're buying in north Pocatello, so this guy in a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 will be peering about their sales lot big time the next several weeks! :)

I will reply to this post in the Hyundai Sonata 2006+ discussion.
    You may have to shop around a few Hyundai dealers to get that kind of price. I'm in the VERY competitive Atlanta market, but the highest I was quoted on a 5-speed GL was $16,495. Hopefully you could find one willing to do something close the $15,500 I mentioned. The GL 5-speeds are slow sellers (at least one salesguy was honest enough to tell me that). The benefit is for folks like me who enjoy a manual transmission. The 2.4L in the Sonata has a serious kick with the manual transmission.

Good luck.
    The fuel economy figures for the Accent and Rio aren't very good considering their size, engine size and competitors. Not bad, mind you, but not great either. I would expect closer to 40mpg highway.
    The new Accent is Awesome. It's interior is everything it's hyped up to be. The dark saphire blue model has a slate/blueish-gra on lighter gray interior. It's pretty slick. There is plenty of room up front and in the back seat. Overall it seems to be pretty solid. We drove a Sonata too and I was a little disappinted b/c the fit and finish wasn't as nice as it should have been. The fit and finish of the accent is great for its class. The 110HP was sufficient to get on the busy freeway and around town. It has VERY responsive steering and brakes. I think it will be a great little car for the next few years.
    if you would please continue to add interesting tidbits about your 2006 Hyundai Accent as your ownership experience unfolds, OK?

Congratulations! I hope to have either a 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL in 5-speed form or a 2006 Kia Rio5 in 5-speed form towards late January-early February of 2006. I want to get the maximum number of rebates, new grad discounts, sales, anything, etc. that I possibly can before I buy.

If the sale doesn't feel right I'll just hang onto my very fine 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 for a while longer.

Congrats! Can you please tell us the equipment on your car and also what you paid for it (total, and before tax & license)? I am curious if you got any kind of discount on one of the first '06 Accent 4-doors going out the door.
    Did you get a 5-speed manual or the automatic transmission?
  • lexuslover0329lexuslover0329 Member Posts: 7
    What you must also realize in case you haven't yet is just cause the government puts it on paper doesn't mean that it is absolute truth and fact if you read into it more you will find that the accent on the highway actually gets about 40 mpg or better on the highway. Window sticker ratings for MPG are almost never accurate.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    A good measure, in my experience, has been the standarized testing loop that CR runs for each of their full vehicle tests. Often, CR will get a lower CITY figure and a higher HWY figure than the EPA, and their overall mileage seems to be a more accurate representation of real world. Still, I've found that in mine and my parents' vehicles, we beat CR's average by about 2-3 MPG due to a heavier bias toward highway, less stop and go.

~alpha
    Alpha- have you read the report about Consumer Union's (CR) comparison of all their test vehicles for the past five years or so versus those of the EPA? It's really very interesting.

Here's a link to it if you're interested-

http://www.consumersunion.org/pdf/MPG-90205.pdf

I used some of the results in another discussion about the Mazda3 and Honda Civic. Their tests resulting in better than EPA highway numbers in the Civic and better than EPA city numbers in the Mazda3. It's an interesting and useful comparison. I get a feeling I probably drive my car a good bit harder than they do, though.
  • agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    ">link titleDon't know if this is old news, but just in case you missed it.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/12/hyundai_unveils.php

44.5 MPG for a Hybrid Accent! If CR verifies those numbers I will purchase a Hyrbid Accent over the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris. What Toyota and Honda have done lately in terms of fuel economy is shameful. The Yaris only gets .5 mpg better than the corolla! The fit will probably get 1 mpg better than the bigger civic.

[non-permissible content removed] IT! When people buy sub compact econo cars they want mileage! Not speed! Not power! Mileage! Gas will soon return to $3 permenently and then anyone who gets less than 40 mpg will rue the day they bought their gas guzzling Yaris or Fit!

Imagine what the second generation Accent H will do! With a full strength hybrid it could pull 50 MPG and with other improvements like CVT, carbon fiber, better engines, lithium ion batteries, we could see 60 mpg.

The question is: what will it cost? I predict a $14,000 base price, with a nicely equipped model for $15,000 and a drive out the door price of $17,000, which is still the cheapest means of getting 45 mpg.

Now if only Hyndai could fix its reliability, above average, according to CR is not good enough. Hyndai needs to get into the top 3. Currently held by the Toyota Echo, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, with the Mazda 3 barely making it to "much better than average".

Thoughts?
    There is no way I see the Accent hybrid starting at $14k. The regular Accent GLS starts at $13k--and that is without A/C, power package, or automatic. Hybrids have traditionally added $3000+ of a premium for the extra technology. Also it is not clear whether the Accent hybrid will come with a stick shift or require an automatic (or CVT). I think it will be lucky for the Accent hybrid to start under $15k, and more likely will be closer to $16k. Consider too that Hyundai is not yet able to spread the costs of their hybrid development over lots of cars, like Toyota is able to do. That might bump up the "hybrid premium" even more, unless Hyundai is willing to lose lots of money on each Accent hybrid they sell.

Hyundai is working hard on reliability. Look at what they have done in the past five years. I think they have already "fixed" reliability to the extent it is no longer a problem. So now they can focus on matching Toyota and Honda in long-term reliability, since they have already matched or exceeded them in initial quality/reliability (per JD Power).
    The Honda Fit for North America was announced today. Starts at $13k including ABS, side bags/curtains, A/C, power package, and stereo. An Accent similarly equipped (but with alloys) would cost $1500 more. And the Fit is a 5-door. Luckily for Hyundai, the fuel economy on the Fit isn't much better than the Accent's.

The Fit is supposed to be out in April. Which is I think when we'll start seeing those big rebates from Hyundai on the Accent.
    When people buy sub compact econo cars they want mileage! Not speed! Not power! Mileage! Gas will soon return to $3 permenently and then anyone who gets less than 40 mpg will rue the day they bought their gas guzzling Yaris or Fit!

Have to say that I disagree with you there. Perhaps a LOT of people buying econo-cars want economy above all else, but there is a substantial population of buyers who want performance and power while still getting at least moderately good fuel economy. Almost 100,000 people have bought Mazda3s this year and its EPA ratings are definitely in the lower end of the subcompact class. FYI- I am one of that number that bought a Mazda3.

I think carmakers are very wise to cover the full spectrum of economy and performance with a car. Honda, for instance, has everything from the 197hp high performance Si that gets 31mpg, to the Civic LX/EX with decent performance and 40mpg, to the Hybrid that gets 51mpg highway. It's a very wise strategy.

I think Hyundai would be smart to bring an Accent Hybrid to the U.S., but only if they can keep the price down. A performance oriented Accent 3-door would be a good seller, too. Especially if they could milk another 15-20 hp out of it.
    backy you maybe right. When you compare the standard equipment list the Fit offers compared to the Accent it looks like it is the best deal hands down. Whether consumers will line up in large numbers for the Accent compared to the Fit is another story and Hyundai may indeed need rebates. How large will obviously depend on demand.

The good news is that this segment is going to be very competitive and safety is a priority for both these makes. As gas continues moving above $2.00 a gallon, it should get very interesting.
    Almost 100,000 people have bought Mazda3s this year...

Wow! That translates into annual sales of, what, almost 4 million? ;)
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Funny, before the 2006 Hyundia Accent was officially released (one day before winter) to make their earlier fall release date valid, this thread was jumping with questions on what options would ultimately be available and what the vehicle cost would be. The damn car gets released and poof, interest disappeared immediately. Looks like Hyundai got a real winner with little overpriced under powered car with but mediocre EPA city/highway MPG estimates. Think I`ll wait till March and cough up an extra 5K and go for the new 2007 Toyota Camry! The extra money upfront will come back years later with a much higher residual trade in factor down the road. The only down side is the mere 3 year/36000 bumper to bumper warranty. Figure for less then a grand I`ll add genuine Toyota Extended warranty and extend for an additional 3 0r 4 years before the original warranty lapses. The Hyundai Korean web page shows the 2006 Accent with power tilt sunroof an fog/driving lamps not available in the North American market, go figure?
    If you are interested in a car the size of the Camry, why not look at the Sonata instead of the Accent? Sonatas are widely available at great discounts, for far less than what a comparably-equipped '07 Camry will go for in March. You would probably save $5-6k at least going with the Sonata--more if you buy an extended warranty on the Camry. You will never make up that much in resale value.

Last time I checked, a few days ago, my local dealer still had no Accents. Maybe that is why there is so little interest. Another reason my interest has waned is that right now a loaded Elantra GLS would cost me less than a loaded Accent. And the Fit, Versa, and Yaris are coming soon and will be very price-competitive with the Accent. So I am staying clear of the Accent until the inevitable rebates come.