Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

tundra limited slip diff.

robofirstrobofirst Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Just wondering how those Tundra's are doing on
slick boat ramps and stop signs in the rain? Do
they have alot of one wheel spin? I would hate to
have to lock into 4x4 every time or wear my tires
out too much. If they had a limited slip diff. I
would already own one. Trucks are bad for spinning
under acceleration but without limited slip they
are usually worse. Does any Tundra owners have any
comments. I need to know pretty soon. thanks rob-o

Comments

• rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    I can't comment on boat ramps. Rain or snow hasn't bothered my 2wd yet. Goes where I need it to go. Only time I had to back up and try again was when son-in-law of neighbor spent 45 minutes spinning his tires trying to get out of driveway access last winter (gunning it just ain't the right technique, but he drove a Dodge, hmmm). He polished that frozen slush real smooth. Just had to get a little head start and steady light throttle.
  • rubluetoo1rubluetoo1 Member Posts: 4
    Them ones be used for that commute "haul" each day. This be where most of that "workin" on em be gettin done now. This be why that factory not offerin up that limited slip on em, they knew that target customer well for sure. Good luck on this one now!
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    on slipping and sliding. I live where I forget what rain is!
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Got the new performance products catalog yesterday. They have a couple of aftermarket LSD's for the Tundra for @ $400. I haven't noticed a need for it yet with the 4x4 Tunrda but maybe it would benefit some 2wd versions on snow, mud, etc.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    $400 doesn't seem like a bad a price. I think it cost me $245 from the factory, this was invoice but I bought my truck for invoice + . Wonder how much it would cost to get it put on - and would it void the warranty?
    I don't know if this would work or not - but since the Tundra differential is from the Tacoma - and the Tacoma has a locker - is it possible (practical I mean - anything is possible) to install the locker from the Taco? May cost the same and I would bet Toyota would stand behind the truck if it ever did develop a problem.
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    I launch on some pretty slippery ramps with my Limited 4x4 in both fresh and saltwater. Haven't had to even use the four wheel drive yet on a ramp and haven't developed any wheel spin with either my boat (4800 lbs.) or jetskis (2,000 lbs.). My past experience with limited slip has been that sometimes its better NOT to have it because it allows the car/truck slide sideways when you spin both rear wheels, a definite minus on very narrow slippery mountain paths like the ones I like to 4 wheel on. By the way, where is this Tacoma diff. bs coming from?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    What's the difference?...

Not much

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Inches Tim thats the difference.

Quarter inch here half an inch there

haha

Ryan
    Tundra does use the rear differential from the Tacoma, tranny and transfer case are from the T-100. This is common knowledge - even confirmed by some Tundra owners and truck trend magazine article. It really is not that big a deal - I am sure Toyota engineers know how to calculate the stress these components must handle and still last for years under normal use. If you don't believe me ask your Toyota service department manager.
    The Tundra has larger gear rings, uses the same diff as lancruiser. The landcruiser uses a different anti-slip system than the tacoma. It actually engages the brake on the slipping wheel. It sounds goofy to me, but mercedes uses it. They say them Germans are pretty good engineers.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    I had a Toyota service guy explain to me what limited slip differential means. I have the basic concept now. I was also given driving situation where this will come into play. Being in Arizona, I think I won't worry about this too much. I was told unless I'm into crawling over boulders I don't even need a 4X4.

Also found out that the Tacoma has similar differential (or exactly the same? I forgot what I was told) and I have used my Tacoma to tow pop up trailers off road and have launched boats (sometimes the lakes are so low we are way into the lake bed already by the time we can lauch a boat)
    Toyota Landcruiser differential ratio is 4.3, Tundra and Tacoma are both 3.91. So it is obvious the Tundra does not use the LC differential. Like I said before - Toyota would not have used the parts from the compact Taco if they were not able to handle the load. All car companies go to the "parts bin" to save $$ when they are designing new models. Nothing wrong with this practice - If it was my company I would do the same thing. I almost bought a LC about 4 years ago - I think it had an option that locked at three points,the front and rear differential - also locked up the something else I can't remember (transfer case??), the effect was all 4 wheels locked side to side and front to back. A review I read of the Mercedes 4 wheel system said is was very poor in many conditions. Like starting out on slippery snow covered roads. The Ford Explorer, Isuzu, Rangerover and all other SUV 4x4's tested left the ML in the dust when the roads got slick. The dam thing kept locking up the brakes and reducing the engine power when the wheels started spinning.
    Sorry about the confusion. I ment to say the axle/diff housing itself. However the Tundra definetly uses different gearing. I recently compared aftermarket lim slip hardware for both. The difference was very pronounced. I don't think the Tac has a weaker or thinner gearing. The Tundra ring is simply designed for the larger rims/tire combo.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.