Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Backy, lets get real........$5000 to $6000 difference, come on. I live here in SO FL where both Hyundia`a and Toyota`a are discounted by some of the largest volume dealers in the country. Even those so called unbelievable give a way prices on the Sonata`s are for rebates and (Loyalty) bonuses on "certain" slow moving Sonata models, mainly the 4 cyl el cheapo units that are all over the lots. After the dust settles, A new 2007 Camry LE model with auto trans and 4 cyl fully equipt. will be in the $18000 to $18500 range vs a Sonata with all rebates an similar equipt. going for around $16000. Three or four years down the road the Camry will still have a ton of residual value and unfortunately the Hyundia can be sold then by the pound as scrap metal. I`d rather add the extra extended warranty cost to the Toyota and assure some trade in value down the road. Been there/done that!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    After the dust settles, A new 2007 Camry LE model with auto trans and 4 cyl fully equipt. will be in the $18000 to $18500 range vs a Sonata with all rebates an similar equipt. going for around $16000.

You said you were looking at the '07 Camry for a March purchase. That is why I said there would be at least a $5-6k difference. The dust will not have settled by then. Over time, the difference will narrow but I still think it will be substantial. For example, from the Sonata Prices Paid discussion I know that several people have bought a Sonata LX (that is with V6 and leather) for under $18k + T&L. What would a comparably-equipped '06 Camry go for? The closest trim is the XLE V6. Invoice on that car is $25,704. Subtract the $500 rebate and it's just over $25k, assuming you can get one for invoice before rebates. That is $7000 more than the comparably-equipped Sonata. You could add the CD changer and moonroof to the Sonata for about $1200 more. So that is in the $5-6k range I noted. Do you think the '07 Camry will cost a lot less than the '06? I suppose it's possible that with more standard features, the price with those features will go down. But I think it will be some time before you will see rebates on '07 Camries or be able to buy them for invoice less rebates.

P.S. On the 4-cylinder fully equipped '06 Camry LE, the invoice price is $20,452, so with the current $500 rebate it would be nearly $20k. That is with VSC and side bags. The comparable Sonata GL has an invoice of $17,957 and $1500 in general rebates ($1000 more for Hyundai owners). So the difference there is $3500-4500, although I have seen reports of Sonata GLs for under $15k + T&L.
    Since this has become a Sonata/Camry comparo thread, I have replied in a more appropriate discussion:

backy, "Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion" #2202, 21 Jan 2006 4:51 pm
    I finally got to take a close look at the '06 Accent today at my local dealer. They had only one, a black/gray model, fully loaded, sticker $15.4k, on the showfloor. By look and "sit" feel, I was impressed. It looks like a much more expensive car, especially inside. The two-tone interior is very tasteful I think, if you don't touch the plastic (so you feel how hard it is). The driver's seat felt very comfortable; it has the traditional Hyundai dual-knob height adjuster, which allowed me to set the seat just how I like it. With the seat set for my 5'10" frame, the back seat was just roomy enough for me to squeeze in without feeling too cramped. There is good toe space back there, but my knees brushed the seatback. It would be fine for small kids or for adults for a short trip. There were upscale touches to the interior like the fold-down rear armrest with cupholders, damped grab handles, and lighted vanity mirrors. The grey cloth interior felt durable and looked handsome. The driver's right armrest was hard-edged though, and the rests on the doors were hard plastic. The HVAC controls looked good with metallic trim rings and were reasonably smooth, but not as smooth as, say, an Elantra. The 3-spoke plastic steering wheel was thick and looked good. The trunk was quite roomy for such a small car, and expands with a 60/40 rear seat. Outside, the car looked classy in black (although I'd never buy a black car) and its 15" alloys. I was glad to see that the Accent's big outside power heated mirrors fold, unlike its bigger sibling the Sonata.

I look forward to driving the Accent when my dealer gets some more in stock, and in taking a closer look at it at upcoming auto shows. But I can't justify buying one until the rebates kick in and the crash test results are published.
    The 2007 Accent 3-door will debut at the Chicago Auto Show, Feb. 10-19:

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/vehicles/detail.asp?make_id=26

One thing I noted is that the 3-door will have a power sunroof option.
    I am disappointed to see that ABS is not even an option on the Accent GS, and it has been taken off the standard equipment list for the '07 GLS. That eliminates the GS from consideration for me. One of the things I liked about the '06 Accent 4-door is that it was easy to find a car with ABS, because it was standard. It's been hard to find low-end Hyundais with ABS in the past.

I also noticed that A/C will be standard on the '07 GLS, and alloys will be available as a separate option--so you can get the power accessories and ABS w/o getting alloys. That is a good change I think; I don't need alloys. But I do want ABS. :(
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Why is this Accent page spread out all over creation? It is very difficult to read the way it is. Most of the other sites that I have visited here in Edmunds fit within the normal page width, this one does not. WHY NOT ?????? :confuse: :mad:
    just corrected itself.
    :)
    no it didn't :confuse: whatever is happening it is wierd. somebody should check it out. I have tried checking my machine, and it checks out OK...don't understand... :confuse:
    It appears to be only page 13 :confuse:
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    It's the giant picture that somebody posted on that page. All the text messages get stretched to accomodate the picture size. A reminder to use some sense in how large an image to post....
    OK... thanks makes sense, maybe... Hopefully others will be more careful with their postings. Sure had me going though. :)
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Sorry - that was my fault. At the time, all images available (at least on Hyundai's press site) were hi-res.

Question: how do I edit/delete the post...I'm still very new at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Great forum, by the way!!
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    A dealer friend of mine told me that at recent dealer mtgs in Vegas, they have been told to expect an Accent hyrbid in 2007....early! Starting price will be $19995.
    They expect to sell sell 100,000 Accent/Rio hybrids for the first year. I will be the first to buy one at that price! Most hybrids cars require 150,000 miles of driving to offset high cost. Such an offering, if they do get this out at this price, will IMO put Hyundai at the forefront by offering affordable hybrids.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I really like the looks of the hatch, but Im very surprised about the changes for the 2007 model year, in terms of standard safety equipment. I had thought this was Hyundai's move to get away from the warranty as a HUGE selling point; use the safety stance...

I am especially perplexed since the new Fit will have all the requisite safety features baked in.

FWIW, was in a Yaris sedan at the Philly auto show, and its really a whole new world from the ECHO- and some serious competition for the Accent. The interior was sharp even though I dont care for the center instrumentation- its larger now, more legible and the tach looks good. I was surprised at the space as well.

~alpha
    Exactly. Pending some crazy changes, look for Accent (for sure) and Rio hybrids to arrive by no later than this year. I was very surprised the Accent hybrid was unveiled late last year at an auto show in China, if I recall correctly.
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    I know they stillhave some work to do on it, but i am surprised they haven't put that hybrid out yet. I know they have moved the unveiling up significantly but not sure when. Could they do it in Geneva?
    Hyundai has publically stated that the Accent hybrid would be here late this year.

If they start at $19,995, and are not heavily discounted, they will not sell well IMO. Think about it... when you can get an Accent, Rio, Fit, or Yaris that get about 35 mpg, and you can get about 45 mpg in the Accent hybrid (based on reports when the car was unveiled to the press in China several weeks ago), why spend $7-9000 more for the Accent hybrid? It would take many, many years to make up the price difference through fuel savings. And $20k is only a couple of thousand away from the Civic and Prius hybrids, which are proven hybrid designs (and in the case of the Prius, larger and more versatile). Additionally, with the Accent hybrid you will probably lose trunk space and also the fold-down rear seat, due to the battery pack. I think the price of the Accent hybrid will need to be closer to $16-17k to get much buyer interest.
    Not just Hyundai hybrids, no hybrids currently on the market are economically advantageous versues its regular counterpart. That said, with gas prices continue to be volatile, any improvement in gas mileage will prevail as great marketing tool for automaker and draw consumer interests.

Hyundai competing in the small car and hybrid market are great moves and their vehicles will move off the lot, provided Hyundai contninue to build quality car on top of that, which is something they have strived for and done.

With all that said, of course, many people buy hybrids for reasons other than better mileage but let's save that for another part of discussion. For my own preference, bring on diesel!!!
    As we have discussed here, the '06 Accent is priced too high. It looks like HMA finally agrees--they have put a $1000 rebate on the car. :) But the loyalty rebate is gone. :( With a very good discount plus the Auto Show rebate in many areas ($500), that puts a fully-loaded Accent at around $13k. Getting better...
  • good4ugood4u Member Posts: 18
    I watched a show on these hybrid cars. The automakers make them look good, but I'm not so sure myself.
    If you get into an accident and they have to get the "Jaws of Life" to pry you loose, that can be the most dangerous part of the accident. The wiring in the hybrid cars are not set up like normal cars. If they pry through a wire, it can cause an explosion... putting you and the firefighters at risk.
    Also, the battery...... I read once you replace the electrical part of that.... it can cost up to $3000!
    I'd rather just get a normal car with good gas mileage.
    Considering the new Accent comes with more standard features other comparable models do not, I guess the increased sticker price is justified. However, I would like to see a lower starting price. It is a nice car and great improvement over th outgoing model.

The 3dr Accent should be in showroom very soon, very competitively priced at $10K :)

It looks really good and I look forward to driving one shortly. Lots of accesories for personalization and tuning.
    The Accent GLS doesn't compare well in standard features to the Fit--no A/C, ABS (on the '07), or power package standard. Not to mention no hatch in the back. The Versa will undercut it by about $1000 on the starting price and will offer better interior room, versatility, power, and fuel economy. So I can't say I agree that the increased sticker price is justified. I think the new rebate is a sign that the price is too high for the current market--and in the coming weeks the market will get a lot tougher.

As for the GS 3-door, it will start at $11k according to Hyundai's press releases. I don't recall if that is with or w/o destination charge. That car will not have A/C standad, and no power package or ABS even available as an option. But for someone who wants a new car warranty and doesn't need all the convenience and safety features, it is about as cheap as you can get. I am more interested in the SE, which is well-equipped. I hope it is priced attractively.
    Actually, Versa and Accent have the same starting price. Versa base price starts around $11,950 but adding the destination charge will raise the base sticker price to $12,555, which is actually $100 more than the Accent :) Also, since Accent is equipped standard with CVVT, comparable CVT on the Versa starts around $15,555.

Accent GLS trim does offer ABS - ABS come standard with EBD; also six airbags which I don't think anyone else offers in the segment, at least by having it standard. As for interior space, the Accent has the most in the segment (interior and cargo, per Hyundai).

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/accent/trim/gls.aspx
    I suppose when the ABS is dropped from the standard list for '07, the Accent GLS will be about the same price as the Versa. But the Versa will still have more room, more versatility, and more power standard. Also doesn't the Versa have A/C standard? But maybe not side curtains like the Accent.

I think you are confusing CVVT, which is Continuous Variable Valve Timing, with a Continously Variable Transmission. Two totally different things. The Versa doesn't have CVVT, but I lived many years w/o CVVT and survived pretty well. If the Versa can deliver more power and better fuel economy than the Accent w/o using CVVT, more power to it (uh, literally I guess).

The '06 Accent GLS does have ABS standard. I was talking about the '07, which according to Hyundai has dropped ABS off the standards list except on the 3-door SE model. Both the Rio and soon the Fit offer 6 airbags standard.

The Accent may have the most interior room in its class for now (well, probably tied with the Rio), but let's see what happens when the Fit and Versa debut. The promos for the Versa state it will fit five full-sized adults comfortably. You sure can't say that about the Accent. I have found that much of the Accent's interior room is vertical. That is great for headroom, but what is interesting is that the Civic, for example, with less cubic feet of interior space than the Accent, actually has much more rear seat leg room. So the cubic feet measurement doesn't tell the whole story.

Also hatchback competitors like the Fit and Versa are much more versatile than the Accent GLS. That is one reason I am looking forward to driving the Accent SE--it has a hatchback, and it should handle a lot better than the GLS with its sport suspension and bigger wheels. And it has all the goodies standard. :)
    Hyundai is dropping ABS on the '07 Accent GLS? That's news to me. Can you provide a link please? Thanks!

As for interior space, you are correct. I just checked the specs, Accent is larger than Fit in most dimensions and does lead in some versus the Versa, but Versa is bigger overall.

Link for each:

Accent: http://www.hyundainews.com/presskit2006/06Accent_Specs.html

Fit: http://hondanews.com/CatID2150?mid=2006010735878&mime=asc

Versa: http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/2007vehicles/versa/specs.shtml

Fuel economy for three should also be fairly close. Keep in mind the 38mpg (combined) as stated for the Versa is with CVT transmission, which demands premium pricing. The base version should be a bit lower. 35mpg (combined) is stated for Accent, about the same for the Fit.

I agree mostly with your post, though. I am too, very much interested in taking a look at Accent SE :)

Great to hear lots of new entries are coming in the spring. The competiton is soon going to be fierce, and for the first time in a long time, in the entry class level. Great :)
    As I said, ABS is being dropped from the Accent GLS' standard features list for '07; it's still available as a option. Here is a quote from HMA's press release:

ACCENT GLS - THE COMPLETE PACKAGE
    The well-equipped 2007 Accent four-door comes in a single GLS trim level with either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. GLS trim includes a wide range of features, including several items that are either optional or unavailable on competitive vehicles in the segment, including a powerful 1.6-liter CVVT engine, 172-watt six-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system with equalizer, air conditioning, power steering, tilt steering wheel and driver and passenger illuminated vanity mirrors. There are a total of six airbags, including dual front airbags, front seat-mounted side-impact airbags and roof-mounted side-curtain airbags. Carpeted floor mats are optional. The Premium Package includes ABS, power windows with illuminated switches, driver's window auto-down feature, power door locks, remote keyless entry with alarm and panic alert and heated power-adjustable exterior mirrors. The Premium Sport Package adds all the equipment in the premium package plus 15-inch alloy wheels with 195/55VR15 tires.

http://www.hyundainews.com/presskit2007/3-Door06Accent_PressRelease.html

Looking at this again, it appears that Hyundai has made A/C standard (yay!) but dropped ABS as a standard feature on the GLS for '07. What is interesting about this is that the GLS is now much closer to the Rio LX in standard content--and I assume in price.

I doubt the Accent can get 35 mpg EPA overall, when its highest EPA highway rating is 36 for the (pricier) automatic transmission. It looks to me like 32-33 mpg is a more likely overall EPA average for the Accent, based on the EPA numbers. So it appears the Versa has the Accent beat on fuel economy, if Nissan's estimates hold up.
    When will Hyundia start switching the 06 to 07 Accent GLS line. The 06`s have only been out less then 3 months! If Hyundia is making any changes to the equiptment available in the 07 GLS line, how bout adding a power sunroof like what is being offered in the 3 DR Hatchback? And, so far as fuel economy goes, the Toyota Corrolla and Honda Civic WILL get 41 m.p.g. highway. Guess the Korean`s still can`t tweak their 4 cyl. engines like the Japanese and they certainly have had plenty of time to do so.
    The Rio automatic gets 38 hwy and the Civic 40--not that much difference. And the Civic automatic costs $3000 more than the the Accent/Rio automatics, comparably equipped. You can buy a lot of gas for $3000. (The Accent is a bit lower on the EPA rating--perhaps it has different gearing?)

Also check out the Civic discussion here and you will see that there may be an issue in the way Honda optimized the design of the automatic tranny for maximum fuel economy, which is causing several owners to complain.

No mention is made of a sunroof option for the GLS in the aforementioned press release on the '07 Accent.
  • gwidogwido Member Posts: 25
    Backy, about the Civic transmission, what issue are you referring to? I could not find it on the Civic forum. I wonder if the Fit will use the same automatic tranny design.
    Try searching the Honda Civic 2006+ discussion for "lug bug". There are comments in the Fit discussion that the Fit uses a modified version of the same 5-speed automatic transmission, but I don't know that for a fact.
  • bastidbastid Member Posts: 9
    I like to come to this forum just to read what all of you people discuss here.
    I am buying one of these cars being introduced to USA, I am in New Jersey, Yaris, Fit mostly, I doubt it would be the Versa, somehow it seems to me being on the luxury side and, this is not what I have in mind, besides it would be the last so far to come to this country and I need a car now, mostly a reliable transportation. And this is what brough me to write to you, backy, that looks to be very knowledgeable about cars.You said you want to try the Accent 2007 SE because it comes loaded with standard features, that I have read about it, but, what about the quality in this Korean cars compare to a Japanese. Would you buy the SE just because it is loaded?, besides I am sure you would have to pay good money for this. Please let me know. Thanks. :confuse:
    I own two Hyundais, a '01 Elantra and a '04 Elantra, and have found them to be reliable, solid cars that have held up well. But they are a six-year-old design! Hyundai has made big strides in the past six years in their quality and reliability. I think the Accent continues this trend. Take a close look at it and drive it, in addition to competitors like the Yaris, Fit, and Versa, and I think you will find it compares quite well in quality. For me, the long warranty is a big plus because I will keep my Elantras in the family for at least 10 years and the next car I buy will be handed down to my daughter for college after I drive it for 6-7 years.

I have already seen the '06 Accent GLS 4-door and have driven its cousin, the Rio. I was impressed by what I have seen so far (I like the interior of the Accent better). I have seen the '07 Accent SE but not driven it. It looks like a quality piece. I love the styling and the interior looks like it could be in a much more expensive car. But I also like what I have seen of the Fit and Versa. One major factor is price. I bought my two Elantras because they offered the most car for the money, e.g. $14k out the door for my loaded Elantra GT 5-door with automatic, moonroof, leather, alloys, ABS/traction control etc. About $5000 less than any comparable Japanese car. But I will not pay the same money for a Hyundai as I would for a comparable Honda or Toyota because their resale values are still stronger than for Hyundais. So I need a lower price to compensate for that. However, if it turns out that I like the Accent much more than the Fit or Versa, then I could pay as much because I would be getting a better car. I don't know that yet, as I haven't driven the Accent, Fit, or Versa yet.

Sorry for the long response. Hope it helps you.
  • bastidbastid Member Posts: 9
    Thanks backy, it was nice of you to explain.
    My first choice was the Accent 2007 because of one thing
    -front leg room 42.8 inches- I am 6'4" and I need as much room as I can get. But I noticed this people are not offering standard features as they used to and they are expensive for what they offer. I went to see in December the Accent 2006 sedan as soon as it arrived here in NJ, it is nice looking I admit but inside it made me feel I was in a car from the past, no power anything! room I had, but that was all. Mostly every normal thing "optional"
    I have been waiting since September for all these small efficient cars since, I am retired, had a 2000 Rav4 that I had to get rid of after experincing 4 times what they call Sudden Surges or -Unwanted Acceletration- it was the Electronic Throttle, but they never admited it, eventhough others Toyota have been investigated for the same. Since you never win City Hall, I got rid of it in September, since I have been waiting for these small cars that are being presented like Debutants Girls in society, pityful!.
    I almost got an Aveo 2006 the other day but I read some bad reviews and I changed my mind, back to waiting. I do not want ay other cars but the above mentioned. Suzuki is coming with the SX4 that I hear is great and sort of an SUV with a decent ground clearence,very good for my height but it would come in September and I can not wait any longer. Thanks again and sorry for this long explanation. :sick:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I would encourage you to go test drive a 2006 Kia Rio LX or 2006 Kia Rio5 or a 2006 Kia Spectra EX or Kia Spectra SX. Kia offers the Long Haul Warranty along with Hyundai and I think you would like what you see in the Kia lineup. Their prices are very reasonable, too. For example, you can buy a 2006 Kia Rio LX sedan for only $13,055. Standard equipment includes side airbags and side curtains, too.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

For '07, Hyundai is aligning the standard equipment and options--and pricing scheme--for the Accent 4-door very close to those of the Rio. So the choice between the Accent and Rio can then be made based on which you like driving the best, which looks the best to you, availability of dealers/service, and available rebates and discounts. In recent years, Hyundai has had an advantage over Kia in resale value, but once people figure out that the new Accent and Rio are essentially the same car, I think that difference will diminish if not disappear.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    They play games with your money. Bogus window etching $169, document fees $189, and even DMV fees. Also, be sure you watch everything you sign, such as warranty paperwork. (note: they are not associated with Flemington Car & Truck Country.)
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    These are the official pricing for the Honda Fit. See how it compares to the Hyundai Accent. Seems that Hyundai has their pricing and packaging smartly well ahead of the fit. Let the numbers speak:

Fit Manual $13,850
    Fit Automatic $14,650
    Fit Sport Manual $15,170
    Fit Sport Automatic $15,970
    *Add $550 destination charge
    *No Rebates Currently Available
    Sources: Auto deadline
    Honda Fit Website
    -----------------------------------
    Accent Manual (Base) $12,455
    Accent Manual w/Air $13,255
    Accent Manual w/Prem sport $13,955
    Accent Automatic (Base) $13,305
    Accent Automatic w/Air $14,105
    Accent Automatic w/Prem Sport $14,805
    *Add $540 destination charge
    Price does not reflect $1,000 Rebate*
    Source: Hyundai USA Website
  • ross14ross14 Member Posts: 36
    Millennium Hyundai, Hempstead: 2006 Accent(new model?)march 19 rebates: $2000 double rebate+ $500 military+ 400 college grad. My Toyota pickup (240,000 miles) was vandalized, so looking for "Best buy" mini. Wow, cant wait for the NY Easter car show to see & compare the new minis. Full support for thighs is crucial. Don't like not seeing nothing after the front windshield. The 2007 Accent GL 3 door seems to be the front runner. Suspect the Yaris wiil be let down by seat cushions with no support. The new Civics emergency brake makes contact with the knee. Owned a Fiat 600, & a bug-eyed Sprite. Cant wait to drive the Fit, Accent, Versa, Yaris. Its a shame that the Aveo has such a limited warranty. Rules it out immediately.
    I am digging the 3 door. Just a little over $10K, and a looker too :)

SE trim looks even more attractive, and possibly sportiest of all other hatchbacks mentioned (Versa, Fit, Yaris) - sport-tuned, 16" wheels, light weight (lighest I believe, around 2,300 lbs).
    Not quite sure what you mean by "pricing and packaging smartly well ahead of the Fit." As I read the numbers, there is only a few hundred dollars difference in price for similarly-equipped cars. For example, the Fit Manual is $14,400 and the closest Accent, the Accent Manual with Premium Sport, is $14,495. However, the Accent has alloys (for '07 there will be a power package available w/o alloys). So I think Hyundai will need to continue rebates and discounts to compete against the Fit, given Honda's historically better resale value vs. Hyundai.

As for packaging, I think the packaging on the Fit is smarter than the Accent's. The Fit's "magic seats" are amazing in their versatility. Rear legroom is about the same even though the Fit is shorter. Interior materials quality is about the same. The Accent has a few advantages, such as a more adjustable driver's seat (no height adjuster on the Fit) and niceties like rear center armrest and lighted vanity mirrors.
    After following this Blog on the 06 Accent since late last Summer (05) an eagerly awaiting the Fall release of the 06 Accent which debuted very uneventfully late Dec. 05 with one or two vehicles per dealer, I finally pulled the trigger an bought an 06 Hyundia, but NOT an Accent. Drove an Accent and after drove an 06 Sonata with I4. Both had similiar safety equiptment and automatic transmission. The GLS Sonata had a power sun roof unavailable on the Accent and a much larger and more powerful 2.4 liter I4 engine vs the 1.6 I4 in the Accent. Highway m.p.g. was listed at 36 for the Accent and 33 m.p.g. for the Sonata. The difference in comfort, acceleration, handling, was well worth the 3 m.p.g. hit along with the total luxury experience the Sonata afforded. The Sonata ran just under $17,000. plus tax, title, tags which included all available rebates with exception of no loyalty, recent college grad, or active military. The Accent would have cost just $2500. less with NO power sunroof. I know one does`nt buy a vehicle on a price per pound basis like cheese or cold cuts BUT, you get soooo much more car for so little more, to me its a no brainer. Only had it a week so far, but its a great car. Check the Sonata out before deciding on that cute little Flintstone car.
    Congrats on your new car. I understand where you are coming from--the Sonata is a lot of car for the money. Then there's the car in between the Accent and Sonata, the Elantra--a lot of car for the dollar there too. I think Hyundai moved the price up too much, too quickly on the Accent.
    "Not quite sure what you mean by "pricing and packaging smartly well ahead of the Fit." As I read the numbers, there is only a few hundred dollars difference in price for similarly-equipped cars." - backy

I'm puzzled by this comment. In this segment where profits are squeezed, a few hundreds dollars here and there adds up. Also considering that Hyundai now has a $1k rebate on Accent, positions the Accent as the value leader overall. If Honda intends to offer a matching rebate to counter Hyundai's Accent then the Honda Fit will definitely come out ahead in terms overall pricing/packaging.

There is no doubt that Accent wins the price/value contest based on the numbers.
    Sure, a few hundred dollars adds up--but does it put the Accent's pricing "smartly well ahead of the Fit"? Also, I thought we were talking about comparing list prices, not special offers which come and go like the wind. The intangible is out-the-door price. I do expect Hyundai dealers to be more willing to deal on Accents than Honda dealers will on Fits, at least while the Fit is a new model in the U.S. But for now, we have no data comparing out-the-door pricing of Fits and Accents so it's a little hard to make a comparison there.

As for value, that is not just measured by list prices. For example, what if Fits are snapped up off dealer lots at full MSRP as fast as they can be delivered while discounted/rebated Accents sit? What does that say about the public's perception of value?

I still don't understand your comment about the Accent being well ahead of the Fit in packaging.
    The Accent is well ahead of the fit in packaging and pricing based on the target demographics for this segment, who are early first time buyers or new car buyers on a tight budget. The starting price of the 3 door Accent is around $10,995. The Accent 4dr begins at 12,455. Both vehicles are equipped with std front/side/curtain air bags and ABS. Extras are a/c and power package. This keeps the initial price down and therefore allows Hyundai to keep Accent's pricing elastic if not more flexible and aggressive. From a marketing/packaging standpoint this is a smart move. It allows more buyers flexibility to "build" their own car.

However this last point should be obvious. Additionally, you mentioned that rebates are not the last word on value. So why do manufacturer's including Honda offer them? No one knows how the Fit will compete against the Accent. No one knows whether Honda will be able to maintain margins on the Fit.

Honda recently slowed production of their much ballyhooed Ridgeline. At last count it had 53 to 72 day supply on dealer lots. Honda To Cut Production Of Slow Selling Ridgeline
    Well, IMO the Ridgeline is an ugly, poor excuse for a truck--that may be why it's not meeting sales expectations. But it has nothing to do with the Accent vs. Fit discussion, does it?

I thought by "packaging" you were referring to the packaging of the car itself, not how options are packaged. It is true that the Accent starts at a lower price and has more option packages available. But this is an advantage only for people who want the stripped models. I have yet to see a '06 Accent on the lot w/o A/C--and I'm in Minnesota! So making A/C optional may cut the advertised price of the car but not the real price. For people like me who want all the safety features (including ABS and side bags/curtains) and power windows & locks, the Fit's packaging is better. And it doesn't force me to get options I don't want (like alloys) by throwing them into one huge package rather than offering them separately. (I notice Hyundai is tweaking the packaging on the Accent for 2007 though.)

To my knowledge, Honda has not offered direct-to-consumer rebates in the past few years on any of its cars. I doubt they will need to resort to rebates for a car like the Fit that will be priced about the same as its Korean competitors and available in small numbers.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    will need to offer rebates on the new Fit. It seems to be generating tons of interest and Honda will probably not be able to produce enough of them to fulfill all American orders for them.

They are already such a nice price, the first Honda's since the tiny Hondacar of the late 70's that is reasonably priced, IMO. I will even take a short gander at them.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I wish Honda would have waited to bring the next-gen Fit to the NA market. The current one is already a few years old; and dated judging by some of the items on board. Anyway, I disgress. Let's get back to the Accent :)
    "Well, IMO the Ridgeline is an ugly, poor excuse for a truck--that may be why it's not meeting sales expectations. But it has nothing to do with the Accent vs. Fit discussion, does it?"

The example regarding the Ridgeline was a comparative one. Note that when the Ridgeline was first introduced how much "media-citement" was stirred as well as consumer interest. This is a vehicle that was heavily promoted as well.

The Accent will do well within its segment due to its packaging/pricing and aggressive factory incentives. although I believe that the Fit is going to generate sales they are going to have discount to maintain numbers. Repeating: This is an extremely competitive segment and buyers are both price sensitive and value conscious. Looking at the overall strategy of Hyundai's Accent they have adjusted the dynamics of this car to meet the competition head-on.

One last, Honda does indeed resort to "rebates" they are known as reverse-rebates where they offer special finance deals and dealer incentives. However back on topic with the Accent.