Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think the Ridgeline is a poor example. The Fit is already a proven seller around the world, e.g. the #1 seller in Japan and very popular in Europe and throughout the rest of Asia also. And it is not a new market for Honda, as was the Ridgeline--it is actually re-introducing a car to a market that Honda owned not too many years ago.

I think it is inaccurate terminology to call special finance deals "rebates." They are not rebates of any sort but subsidies for financing programs. There are also manufacturer-to-dealer incentives. But generally when one thinks of rebates, it is the manufacturer-to-consumer type--like the $1000 Hyundai just started offering on the Accent after cries from dealers that the car was overpriced for its market.
  • ross14ross14 Member Posts: 36
    Not a sign of the New Accent Hatcback in Nyc. Has it appeared in the west, Midwest?
    Thanks for the link. They seem really positive on the car. But IMO is was not a very well-done review. Not a lot of details--they didn't even explain what equipment was on their test car. And the photos were from Hyundai's archives, and old ones at that, of a prototype instead of the current production car (note the interior pics).

I am going to try to drive one of these today, head-to-head with the Yaris. Right now the Fit, Versa, Accent, and Yaris are at the top of my shopping list, with the Fit having the pre-drive edge.
  • enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    I got to say dont buy a Fit because its not anything speacial ugly exterior people just buy it because it has a honda badge on it. Hyundai accent is so much better look at the sales of accent in europe like everyone is buying them and also in europe they have Hyundai Getz and that sells alot too and better loking than fit i would prefer accent Hyundai fan til i die
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I agree with you, the Honda Fit is one of the most homely cars I've seen since the Pontiac Aztek. OTOH, the new subcompacts from Hyundai(Accent), Kia(Rio)and Toyota(Yaris)are all worthy of second, third and fourth looks.

Honda's success baffles me sometimes. Come on, people, have some pride in how your rig looks. Their Civics are also hideously boring looking. Not as ugly as the Fit but just boring, much like Toyota's mundane looking Corolla.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

The Fit kind of reminds me of my old '85 Civic S hatchback, which I loved. Same general shape, but two more doors. I don't mind the looks of the Fit, and it has great versatility in those magic seats and is supposed to have sharp handling (haven't driven it yet). But it's in the details (and $$$$) that I have concerns about the Fit. It doesn't match the wonderful driving position of the Accent (or Rio/Rio5) because it doesn't have any way to adjust the seat height, so I can't get as comfy in the Fit as in the Accent. The Accent is quiet and smooth going down the road, even a bumpy road. I wonder how the Fit will deal with those pot-holed roads? The interior of the Accent looks like it could have come from a $20k sedan insted of an economy car. The Fit has nice gauges and the cloth on the seats is OK, but overall the interior reeks of "How can we shave every yen/dollar possible out of this car?" That is apparent due to things like: lack of driver's seat adjustments; thin, cheap carpeting; hard surfaces everywhere (even on the door panels, the cloth is glued to the doors--no padding there); no dead pedal; antiquated mechanical HVAC controls vs. electronic buttons; no driver's armrest; no lighted vanity mirrors or map lights; no fold-down rear armrest; no cargo cover (need to buy it as a dealer accessory); no floor mats (need to buy them as a dealer accessory); 4 speakers on the base stereo vs. 6.

But the Fit seems to have superior handling and powertrain, in addition to the cargo capacity. That is why I am looking forward to driving the '07 Accent SE, which is loaded with equipment and has a sport suspension with 16" alloys. I think that car will be a very interesting comparo to the Fit.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    To me, the Fit looks kinda fun and playful. The Rio5 looks sorta the same way. The Yaris is okay; nothing special. The Accent is clean, but boring. It sort of looks like a Corolla junior. Not offensive, but nobody will ever give it a second look. The interior is nice but also boring. Once again it looks like they tried to copy Corolla. It is like a Buick version of an economy car.
    IMO the influence for the Accent's interior was the Sonata, especially the dash. I'm glad Hyundai didn't copy certain features of the Corolla, in particular the terrible driving position (the Accent's is great) the boring cloth of the interior (the Accent's tweed with contrast stitching is much more interesting I think), and the high dash (which makes me feel as if I am sitting in a tub).
  • ross14ross14 Member Posts: 36
    Looks like we are returning to our caves, & going to sleep. We know the GS is coming, but the waiting has changed from excitement, to exhaustion. Wake me up( far in the future?), when the new Accent comes in 2 doors.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The GS/SE Accent (3door hatch) should be arriving soon, actually. The SE trim, espeicially, perhaps the sportiest in the class, and many features not avilable on rival models: sport tuning, stiff suspension, 16" wheels, ultra-light weight, options for personalization...
    Re ultra-light weight--does the SE have some special weight-savings measures that the GS does not?
  • skikiddskikidd Member Posts: 7
    Everyone keeps saying the '07 Accent is coming out "soon" but noone actually knows what "soon" is not even the dealers. :cry: Hyundai claims its slated to come out this "spring" but spring is almost over!! Anyone have ANY insight as to how soon "soon" is? I will have to purchase a car "soon" and would very much like to take a look at this one, I've been looking forward to it for some time now.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    I sent an email to Hyundai consumer affairs with a request for an on-sale date for the 2007 Accent. I'll let you know if they give me any concrete information.
    Well, technically spring is only half-over. Based on other recent debuts (e.g. Accent and Azera), it's possible "spring" means June 20. :(

I did a search on my local dealers' inventories and found no 2007 Accents. In fact, I found very few 2006 Accents. One dealer had only one, one had four etc. Either these cars are not being shipped in large quantities or they are very popular--which would not be surprising with gas around $3.00/gallon.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    It doesn't appear they are selling too many. It seems Hyundai only cares about moving the Sonata in volume - maybe the Elantra to a lesser extent.

Model APR/2006 APR/2005 CY2006 CY2005
    ACCENT 3,491 4,022 8,256 13,269
    One thing to keep in mind is that for '05, the Accent had both sedan and hatchback models to choose from. So far for '06, only the GLS sedan has been available. That must account for some of the dropoff from '05, and also I think the lack of a general rebate until recently has hurt sales, since the '06 is more expensive than the '05.

But the Accent is definitely not a high volume car for Hyundai in the U.S. They are imported, and the profit margin is probably not as high as on more expensive cars like the Azera and Sonata.
    I sent them an email as well....about 10 days ago... no word yet :cry:

I was hoping with all the other new subcompact hatchbacks coming out they would be coming out at least near the release date of the fit, yaris etc. I guess this one will hang back w/ the versa.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    I've seen the 4-doors in Rochester, NY already: my impression was the hatch would take longer related to crash-testing issues???
    Where did you get that impression and what crash-testing issues do you anticipate?
    I swear I remember reading something about concerns about crash ratings (which appears to influence the availability of sunroofs too, apparently).

It's a vague memory - which means I could also be misremembering, too.

I have been known to do that - but perhaps putting this idea out there will allow others who keep up on these things in more detail to comment???
    I think you are referring to the Honda Fit. There have been several queries as to why the North American Fit is not available with a sunroof, whereas in other countries the Fit/Jazz has a sunroof option. I've heard people say that the North American Fit does not have a sunroof because of crash safety concerns.

One of the reasons the Accent 3-door appeals to me is because it is available with a moonroof. I sure hope Hyundai doesn't change their minds on this option.
    Hyundai has been featuring the moonroof in their marketing for the Accent SE, so it looks definite.

Keep in mind the Fit was designed before the latest crash tests (i.e. IIHS side impact) were designed. That may explain why Honda had to ditch the moonroof for the U.S. Fit. The '07 Accent SE, however, is a new design so Hyundai could take the crash tests into account when adding the moonroof.
    Keep in mind the Fit was designed before the latest crash tests (i.e. IIHS side impact) were designed.

You may well be right - while I like to follow auto news, I don't follow terribly CLOSELY in my reading.

One thing I personally want to know is if the 4-door sedan will be available in SE trim.

Sorry 'bout the brain fart on my part: I think the comment above by shado4 is probably accurate.
    One thing I personally want to know is if the 4-door sedan will be available in SE trim.

Good question. I believe that in the last iteration, the "sport" version of the Accent (Accent GT?) was only available as a 3-door.

Maybe Hyundai will extend the SE trim to the 4-door at a later date if enough people start yelling for it. :)

As it stands now, the 3-door SE is shaping up to be a nice little commuter car that could give you some fun in the twisties, provide some nice MPGs, and give you a lot of amenities not found in the competition. The only holdback is no cruise control, but upon reflection I haven't used the cruise control in my Elantra for over a year.
    An SE 4-door would be a sweet package, especially with the 5-spoke 16" wheels, high-zoot stereo (I could play my old cassettes!), and moonroof. I just hope they don't add ground effects--those don't work too well in winter and with most curbs.

I have seen a lot of complaints about the lack of cruise control (e.g. look at the consumer feedback on the Accent here at Edmunds.com--it is quite favorable except for the lack of cruise). So I have hopes that Hyundai will add it in the near future.

Since the Accent uses a conventional throttle (not drive-by-wire), a 3rd-party cruise should be feasible too.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I could swear I have seen the 4-door with cruise?!?!

Actually, what I am rather psyched about are the news in the Hybrid forums that a Hybrid Accent is coming (and is, apparently, already out in Korea) with about 40% improved MPG.

Given the latest predictions on fuel, that 45 - 50 MPG number (derived via the 40% improvement) would be mighty sweet.
    You can't be wrong if you have actually seen the 2006 Accent with cruise! But it is not currently available as a factory option.

A hybrid would be nice, and would compete directly with the rumored Fit hybrid. But I am not too interested in a hybrid that cannot run on its own on eletric power for a short distance. I drove the Accord hybrid and I was really put off by the way the engine restarts the moment you move forward after a stop. Not very good in stop-n-go traffic. The info I've seen says that Hyundai's hybrid system is similar to Honda's.
    Finally got my email returned....though the answer was not helpful :mad:

Unfortunately there is no official release date as of yet. The 2007 Accent will be available in the near future. Please feel free to contact us at a later time for further information. We do apologize for the frustrations.
    At least it was coherent.

You should see one of the posts for the '08 Corolla. Very "All your base are belong to us! You have no chance to survive: make your time."
    The 2007 Accent will be available in the near future.

Hyundai can't get any more vague than that, can they! :confuse:

I think backy may be on to something. Look for the 2007 Accent on the last day of spring. The elusive SE will be seen by July 4th, though no one will have a camera to prove its existence and it will be treated as a figment of someone's imagination. :P
    It takes lots of resources (money, people) to launch a new model. It's hard to do more than one at a time. Hyundai just got the Entourage rolling. The new Santa Fe is due in dealers in June-July (we know it's already coming out of the Alabama plant). The new Elantra is slated to follow the Santa Fe. So that means... the Accent 3-door should be coming around reeeal soon-like.

I just wonder if the '07 sedan will be launched at the same time, or wait until fall.
  • vermonter16vermonter16 Member Posts: 29
    I'm bummed that the Accent is taking so long to get on dealer's lots. I've been checking my dealer's lot and they had dwindled down to 4 accents...I thought surely that that was a sign that the 07 Accents would be coming in soon...NOT! They just got a shipment of like 15 - 20 06 Accents and that just plain sucks. When will the hatchbacks come in? I need a car soon and wanted to compare.... I originally wanted the Yaris (it's so cute) but the liftbacks coming out don't have ABS or anything like that... So now I'm forced to lean towards the XA...and I don't like it!!! But I'll have to get it if Hyundai doesn't get their butt in gear soon!
    the Accent 3-door should be coming around reeeal soon-like.

Are you sure you don't work for Hyundai? That sounds like something they would say! ;)

I really, really, really want to see the Accent SE in person. I used to own a Mazda 323 3-door and that was probably my favorite little runabout, until it was trashed in an accident. I still miss that car to this day. I don't know, there's something about small personal vehicles that appeal to me.
    You know....until the last few messages I didn't even realize that the Accent did not come with cruise control...now I'm bummed about that too. I love my cruise control. This is supposed to be a commuter car for me but it would be nice to be able to take it on some trips if I wanted to. And at 4am driving down the interstate 30 miles to work...sometimes my speed can get out of control so cruise control keeps me in check... Sheesh... All I wanted was a stinkin' little 2 door car with cruise...and nobody is offering it. Maybe the VW Rabbit that is coming out...but I am looking for something in the $14K range.
    Update: I have just learned the Accent hatchbacks are quickly ramping up production and rolling off the factory floor as we speak. Expect them to hit showroom in the next few weeks...
    I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! Although I'm still disappointed regarding the cruise - I'm still looking for a car in a certain price range and the accent is really the only one that I like...as far as looks and what you get. If it's just a couple of weeks...I can hold out! I just want to know that they are going to be out there when I need one.
    Looks like HMA will barely beat the "spring 2006" prognostication for the 2007 Accent 3-door. Typical marketeers! :P
    As Mr. Burns would say..."Excellent!"

Wonder what exterior colors will be available with the SE? I'm guessing white, black, silver, red, blue, and maybe an orange. Do you think yellow would be too over the top?

I also wonder if the 35+ accessories Hyundai is promising for this car will be ready at the time the Accent hatchback is available for sale. A little personalization goes a long way to making your car unique.
    Of course...technically they have until June 21 or 22, or whenever before the first day of summer :)

Seriously though, if the longer wait means Hyundai working out all of the kinks and bugs, then I'm all for it!
    I think you've notched down the colors. In my opinion, I like white and orange the most.

As for personalization, the press release states it would be ready at launch, "as dealer- or port-installed add-ons, enabling buyers to make their Accent unique. The accessories will include a ground effects kit, cold air intake system, metallic shift knobs, aluminum pedals and doorsills, iPOD holder, LED interior light kit and many others. Factory-installed personalization options include a 220-watt, AM/FM/6-CD changer premium audio system with six speakers and Accent's first power sunroof."

White and orange-ish I was talking about earlier:

• pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    It is being reported out of Korea that Hyundai has delayed the launch of its hybrid Accent/Rio until 2009. This is a major letdown for those awaiting an affordable hybrid from Hyundai. It is thought that Hyundai was struggling to make the new vehicle profitable. This news is just another negative along with the indictment of their Chairman. Yesterday, Honda announced major expansion in N. America including the addition of a hybrid car below the Civic and a 4 cylinder diesel engine.
    These recent problems for Hyundai are again proving the skeptics right that Hyundais archaic leadership structure, void of checks and balances and laced with family domination, needs to be broken up and eliminated. The growth and future of this multi-billion dollar conglomerate, on which thousands and thousands of employees depend, has been jeopardized due the immoral actions of a few scoundrels. Every good thing this man, Chung, has done is now in the toilet.
    The other thing to consider is that by this fall, Hyundai will have launched eight new models in the past 24 months. That is a lot for any company to tackle in a short timespan. So delaying the hybrid Accent launch another year to make it profitable doesn't worry me. This would be their first hybrid in the U.S. so they have to get it right. Hyundai already sells diesel models around the world, so Honda doesn't have a big advantage over Hyundai there.

Can we talk about the cars, not the politics?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We can talk about the political climate, as it relates to Hyundai only. This is fine as long as it doesn't veer away from vehicles and get into a general cultural/political conversation.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Accent hybrid is coming a lot earlier than 2009. To the best of my knowledge, Hyundai is still on track to release Accent hybrid next year in the US. In fact, Hyundai has already released press pics of the hybrid, scheduled to arrive in the home market this month, I believe. As for the Rio hybrid, I'm not certain about its timing but should follow soon after the release of Accent hybrid.

Earlier indication: the hybrid will acheive about 45mpg fuel economy (note this is based on the Korean spec model) - not bad on first try.

Niiiice color. I wonder what the SE would look like in a metallic charcoal gray or dark silver like my dad's MINI Cooper S.

Right now I would lean towards blue or the orange/red in the picture above. I have a silver Elantra now and want something that stands out a bit more in my next car.
  • enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    i havent seen any accent on the road yet the new ones. just at the dealer but when the sr comes out i think the sales would increase cuz its a nice car to customize. young people buy a accent
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    Well, if you needed another reason not to buy the Accent, here it is: Awful IIHS scores. It's pretty much a death trap.

Side impact: POOR
    Rear impact: POOR
    Front impact: Acceptable

The Accent is the only small car tested, aside from the Aveo, that didn't receive a good frontal test. In addition, both the Yaris and Fit received good side impact scores (and good frontal impact). These scores pretty much solidify what many have suspected all along, exploding airbags won't make up from a poorly constructed body.

Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
    Yikes!
    There is going to be an Accent SR?
    I think it's a typo. Not SR, but SE.