Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    The title of this discussion isn't "Hyundai Fan Club," and you don't need the secret decoder ring to participate. All points of view are welcome - if it turns into off-topic rants or it's apparant that a member just bashing for laughs, then it's a different story. But negative opinions are fine. Let's stay away from ANY personal comments, and remember, a host is just an e-mail away (from insanity?).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    Thank you!
  • craig10xcraig10x Member Posts: 8
    Hi: My first posting on the forums...Here's the situation..my dad is interested in buying the 2006 Hyundai GLS 4 Door Sedan...Last week, he went into his local dealership in Deerfield Beach, Fla and was very suprised to see absolutely no vehicles of this model in stock, whatsoever...All he had in stock was 1 2007 2 door Accent.

He told my dad that because the vehicle was overpriced by Hyundai, as is selling poorly, they will not be stocking it until the 2007 4 door models come out, which, according to him, will be priced lower....

Huh??? Is the car salesman in his dealership completely wacky or is this true??? :confuse:
    The sales guy was probably right:

CARLINE MAY/2006 MAY/2005
    ACCENT 3,342 4,555

Down 26%+ from last year even with a new model. Those truely are awful numbers. It is surprising given that the circa 2006 Accents were awful little tin crashboxes. Then again, compared with the 52% decline that the Santa Fe has experienced, I guess it's not so bad. The only Hyundai model whose sales arn't in the toliet is the heavily discounted Sonata. One has to wonder where Hyundai would be if they hadn't discounted their Sonata $2.5K+ off MSRP.

Won't be too long before Hyundai rebates the hell out of the Accent like it does with the rest of the line to move what few of them Hyundai made off the floor. If you really want one (not sure why, but oh well), i'm sure the salesguy would be more than happy to get the heap off the lot.
  • meatycheesyboymeatycheesyboy Member Posts: 14
    [quote]The only Hyundai model whose sales arn't in the toliet is the heavily discounted Sonata.[/quote]

The Azera has almost double the sales year to date as the XG did last year and is selling for substantially more, so it is not only the Sonata that is doing quite well.

But this discussion is about the Accent specifically not about Hyundai as a whole. I think once the Accent hatch gets released in larger numbers, the Accent's sales numbers will turn around a bit.
    "The Azera has almost double the sales year to date as the XG did last year and is selling for substantially more"

The Azera is a completely different car from the XG. For any car to beat the 6451 YEARLY sales (a mere 3% of total 2005 annual sales) of the XG350, would not be the biggest accomplishment. Without going more offtopic than I allready have (sorry mods!), the XG was rubbish and Hyundai knew it. The car was an embarassment for Hyundai. No wonder it gave $5K+ rebates just to move them.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    I think once the Accent hatch gets released in larger numbers, the Accent's sales numbers will turn around a bit.

I agree. I'm waiting for the SE to come in. Today my local dealer had a Charcoal Gray GS hatch on the lot. The 3-door body style looks extremely nice!
    Appreciate the feedback...but kind of surprised at all the negative comments about the 2006 Hyundai GLS sedan...I knew people who owned the older Accents who absolutely love them (and some commute 100 miles to work each way)...and i figured that the newly designed version was even a marked improvement on the old one...

All the reviews i have read on the web seem to agree...or have i only been getting comments from the Hyundai bashers?
    I am really surprised the car isn't selling well...Anyone who has the car and likes it care to comment? Would like to know what the owners of the 2006 GLS think of it...thanks :)
    I think it's rather obvious why it isn't selling well.

1. Hyundai's reputation (or lack there of). Many people assocoiate Hyundai with small, cheap, simple, and poorly put together cars. The Accent (being cheap and simple) are what people think of when they think Hyundai. The Azera and Sonata, and to some extent the Elantra can escape this mentality b/c they are larger, and more expensive cars.

2. Accent's reputation. Piss poor. Claim all the annecdotes you want of how "my friend's friend had one and loved it," but it was almost universally lambasted as a poor quality car with zero resale value.

3. The 2006 and 2007 Accent is no longer the very cheap alternative to Japanese and American counterparts costsing thousands more. A decently equipped AUTO Accent (with such luxury options suchs as A/C and PW/PL) now costs around $15K MSRP. Sure there are some rebates, but this price is not the baragin it used to be.

4. Competitors have taken notice. Only a few years ago, there were few manufacturers producting sub $16K cars. The Accent (and sister Rio) were pretty much it (aside from the crap Echo). Now we have the Scion xA/xB, Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, VW Rabbit, Chevy Aveo, Cobalt, Suzuki Reno, Dodge Caliber, and Toyota Yaris. More competition from more respectible brands (well, of that list, only Nissan, VW, Honda, and Toyota) hurts sales of the Accent significantly.

Hyundai only appears to sell cars when they can discount them atleast $4-5K below comparable competitor models. When they don't (ala Accent), they don't sell all to well (ala Accent).

So, the solution? The only way the Accent will sell reasonably well is for Hyundai to significantly reduce the MSRP price. $10K base, $12K full equipped AUTO. That's it...the only way. If not, expect to see declines larger than 26% YTD.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The other poster is looking for advice on the new Accent sedan.

While I am surprised by the slow selling pace of the Accent, it has much to do with the onslaught of Hyundai new vehicle lineup more than anything. Not only the supply isn't there (the demand is, however), according to various dealers I've talked to, Hyundai corporate has decided to allocate most of the advertising bucks on cars such as the Sonata and Azera, which is where the most profit is made on cars (it is widely known profit on small cars is marginal at best, across the board in the industry).

Anyway, to answer your question, craig, I had the opportunity to test drive a 06 Accent GLS earlier this year and came away very satisfied. The fit and finish, much improved vs. previous generations. Both the interior and exterior, very pleased for the eyes - overall I like a lot about how the new Accent was designed, especially the interior. Further, a few months after my test drive, I took custody of my friend's 06 Accent for about a month, while she was out on trips. After extensive experience in the Accent, I was even more pleased. The ride is defn. more than adequate, and the mileage, surprising better than my expectation.

On that note, I also test drove just about every other car in the class (except for the Versa). I concluded and found every car in this class to be very competitive. Of course, every car had its merits, but also drawbacks, including the Accent.

The 07 Accents are shipping to local dealers as we speak, and this time, two new trims, both three doors. I am looking foward to test drive the three door, specifically, the SE trim - 16" wheels, sport-tuned, accessories to personalize, and 70% firmer suspension, to name a few - defn. a sporty hatch for sure.
    "The 07 Accents are shipping to local dealers as we speak, and this time, two new trims, both three doors. I am looking foward to test drive the three door, specifically, the SE trim - 16" wheels, sport-tuned, accessories to personalize, and 70% firmer suspension, to name a few - defn. a sporty hatch for sure."

But at $15.5K+ for the AUTO, will people purchase it over its competitors? The cost gap is essentially nill at that point. What reason will people have to buy it over the Honda Fit sport, Nissan Versa, VW Rabbit other than to save $500-800 bucks or so? Hyundai needs an advantage to move these things. For years, that "advantage" was significant cost savings ($3K+). What is it now? Performance (no)? Resale value (no)? Interior quality (no)? Build quality (no)? brand reputation (no)? features (maybe)? looks (maybe)?
    Thanks joe97 for the report on your experience with driving the car...Well, i can tell that the other posters that answered were mostly biased against Hyundai..so guess they have an "ax to grind" (lol)... I'm glad to hear your experience with it was a positive one...My dad's old Buick Century is falling apart and he is ready for a cute, small, good on gas mileage (his Buick get about 14 mpg...i am sure the Hyundai will do way better) fun to drive car just for basic "getting around" and i felt the Accent will fill the bill.

Yes, i got the impression from that dealer's story that they were just trying to push the more expensive (and higher profit margin) Hyundai's and that's why he said what he did....A new Hyundai dealership just opened not too far from him, so i am going to suggest he go there as they will probably be more anxious for the business...

By the way Joe, did the Accent you drove have the automatic (my father will get that)...was the acceleration ok with it? I think it's very cute and much nicer in style then the previous Accent...

Also, one of the basher's mentioned about it's high price...well, it's true it did go up from the previous model, but i priced it on Cars Direct and with adding in an automatic and the package with the A/C, he should be able to get it (out the door ) for no more then $13,000 tops (and i mean with delivery and sales tax included)..
    Those are the only options he needs...everything else he wants is already standard, including the neat AM/FM/CD/MP3 player with 6 speakers and the 6 air bags too! Seems like a good deal to me! (there is a $1,000 manuf. rebate on this model). If he can get about $500 for his ol' Buick on the trade in, he might even get it for around $12,500...

Anyone else who either owns or has driving experience with the 2006 Accent GLS 4 door...your comments will also be appreciated..... :)
    In February I rode along as my wife test drove an '06 Accent sedan. While she ultimately went with a Scion xA (perferred the styling) she had no negative comments about the car.

I own an '02 Accent with 70,000+ miles on it and have had no mechanical problems with it. I have had a few minor problems with the interior (my lumbar support lever fell off) but nothing that would deter me from at least checking out and possibly buying an '07 hatchback once they become more plentiful. As for gas mileage, while I can't speak for the '06, I can tell you how mine is in the '02. When I first got thte car, I consistently got between 35-38 MPG. After about 50,000 miles, that number dropped to about 32-35 MPG. At 70,000 I got my 60,000 mile service and now my mileage is back up to 35-38 MPG.
    I apologize in advance here to the host but here is my rant:

Germancarfan, I am really tired of your "everything made by Hyundai is a POS" posts. Yes, Hyundai was terrible when they first entered to US, but they have improved vastly over the past ten years or so, and nowadays, they are one of the top automakers in many areas and rising ever so fast. This is not my opinion, but rather confirmed by the industry. I'd agree Hyundai has a way to go to catch the leaders, but they are defn. almost there - on par, and even better at some areas.

What I don't understand is that you claim you own an Elantra, yet you continued to bash everything about the car, and Hyundai in general, for that matter. I am surprised you still have your Elantra and haven't switched to the VW Golf yet. It was uncalled for, in the Elantra thread and other threads around here you advertised the new Golf like they were VW threads; and you continued to do so on more than one occasion, even after everyone asked you to stop the first time.

Anyway, back on topic, why would someone consider the Accent? Well I would think the fact the base model (GS) comes with six airbags, cabin air filtration, rear window defroster and spolier, and other neat features - all standard; the SE features STANDARD ABS, six airbags, A/C, power windows, power door locks, remote keyless entry, heated power-adjustable exterior mirrors and many others. Many of these features are either optional or not available in the class. Also, 37mpg hwy (auto) isn't too shabby, and sport-oriented + personalize accessories takes up to another level.
    The Accent I test drove was in fact a GLS auto. The acceleration was adequate, yet suprisingly smooth for the four-speed. Of course, my expectation wasn't to see how fast the car would do from 0-60, but more so on the ride. The CVVT engine is quite, adding to the quiteness of the cabin during regular driving.

Craig, good luck on your search. Keep us updated :)
    thanks joe and meaty (lol)...i promise that i will keep you guys updated...He will probably go to that new dealer next week. And to GermanCarFan...all i can say is, regarding Volkswagen, the ORIGINAL VW BEETLE was and is probably one of my all time favorite cars..but the Golf? (formally Rabbit) and the new Beetle...all i can say is: "feh"...personally, i'd rather have the Accent!

And Joe & Meaty: I used to work for the NYPD (civilian, not uniform...retired now) and there was a Police Officer and a Detective in my Precinct that both had 2001 Hyundai Accents, and the both drove in to Manhattan from Suffolk County (that's WAY OUT on Long Island...they lived about 75 to 80 miles out) every day to work and they both LOVED their ACCENTS, had very few problems with them and nothing but good things to say about them... And i have to tell you cops are pretty down to earth and honest about things and if they thought the cars were POS (as our german car fan poster thinks) believe me, they would have told me!

I'll report back as soon i have some news...and meanwhile, anyone else with good experiences to report about the car, would love your feedback... :D
    I wasn't aware that owning a particular car precluded me from voicing my opinion about that manufacturer (I own a 2004 GLS).
    As the moderator has already stated, this isn't the "Hyundai fan club."

My point here is simple: in Hyundai's quest for global expansion, they have forgotten the sole reason consumers purchase their autombiles: price. That certainly was the case for me, where I purchased the 2004 Elantra for 11K, where it's competitors wanted $15K+ for relatively the same thing (that same price differential is no longer present). However, after experiencing continual build quality issues, subpar service experiences, and the realitization of an awful resale value as a trade in, I believe that this "irrational exuberance" over Hyundai's recent "turnaround" is a bit overstated on this board. Hence, my reason for posting: to give potential consumers another opinion.

Take a look at the Honda Fit or VW Rabbit, it has many if not all of those features standard.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Here's my problem with you Germancarfan1. I don't understand why you're spending so much of your time and energy bashing Hyundai and their reputation.

I have owned VW and have been very dissatisfied with that car(Jetta). Should I go wasting my time bashing VW in their Jetta board?

I could go there and bash their quality and reliability. Yes Hyundai's are climbing up in price somewhat. However, so are all the Japanese and European cars. With the discounts and incentives, Hyundai is still relatively among the least expensive brands.

I saw the Accent 3 door and I thought it was the sharpest hatchback out there(among Yaris, Fit, Rio, and Aveo). It looks looks well balanced and sporty.

Hyundai is experiencing some success right now and I believe that it is due to their good products. You don't need to worry about Hyundai's business strategy. If their sales are suffering, it is up to them to lower or higher their prices. I don't think it is necessary for them to do anything right now as they're doing okay.

This isn't Hyundai fan club, but it also isn't Hyundai hater's club. I think I thoroughly know where you stand when it comes to Hyundai's. Let's move on.

I think the Accent will be another reliable Hyundai. Based on their last couple of product offerings, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Accent. I have yet to test drive the 3 door so I can't give a review. Sorry.
    As Backy stated earlier the advantages, Honda Fit base starts at 14,400 (with destination & handling charge), while range-topper Fit Sports starts at 16,520 (w D&H). The Golf doesn't compete with Accent directly but it starts around 15K as well, while Accent starts under 11K.

The Hyundai "turnaround" is not an overstatement on this board, it's a fact. Go check around the industry and find out for yourself. Consumers purchase Hyundai cars not just on price, which they do undercut competitions; there are a lot of reasons why consumers purchase Hyundai cars but it doesn't matter (it's not like you care anyway - everything from Hyundai is a POS to you anyway). If your perception was true, then Hyundai certainly would not be the #6 largest automaker in the world - which is a pretty amazing feat considering where they were just ten years ago. Certainly I am sure they made quite a bit of quality/reliable cars to acheive such status.

Since you keep divert to VW somehow, personally I lost confidence in them. I lost count how many trips I was in the service center, every local dealer in the area I tried - the same. Not only people there were rude and arrogant, they never fixed the problem completely. When one looked resolved, something else unexpectedly popped up. Now, especially after hearing horror VW stories of my friends, and in my opinion, overpriced models I want to get into, I am not sure if I would ever go back to VW anytime soon.
    I can only speak to my personal experience and my personal tastes but here is my take on the Accent and on the competition.

In the next 6 months to a year, I will be seriously looking for a new car, not because I have any problems now with my '02 Accent or forsee having any problems in the near future but because I just feel like having a new car again. Irrational? Probably. Waste of money? Probably. But people are irrational and waste money all the time.

My main criteria for a car is size, driving position, exterior looks, and to a much lesser extent performance and gas mileage. I appreciate safety features but they don't really come into my mind when I'm considering a car.

My price range is upwards of $30K so quite a few cars are within my reach but I tend to look near the very bottom of the spectrum, not because I'm cheap but because those cars are the one's that genuinely excite me. On my short list of cars to look at are the Mazda 3, Accent hatchback, Scion tC, Mazda mx5, Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit.

Of those I've not driven any of them but I've ridden with my wife on test drives in a Mazda 3 and an Accent sedan. I've sat inside the Yaris and the Fit and have a general idea of how the Yaris probably drives due to the fact that my wife has a Scion xA. The Fit for me is ruled out mainly because of dealer markup. Although the Sport is supposed to start in the $15s, I've seen ones locally for between $19-$20K (not exaggerating). The Yaris, also turns me off in the fact that once I spec one out the way I'd want it, it is almost $16k. Also, if my wife's xA is an indication, the Yaris has a ton of cabin noise at freeway speeds.

That leaves the tC, the Mazda 3, Mazda mx5 and the Accent hatch. The 3 is an amazing car that is worth the higher price compared to the others, no doubt in my mind about that and the tC definitely has a hip persona and probably has the performance edge, discounting the mx5 which is definitely the most fun to drive but loses big time on practicality and the fact that I live in WA and it rains at least 3 days a week; so where does that leave the Accent? That leaves the Accent as a competitively priced, optioned to the teeth, attractive hatchback with great gas mileage and a great driving position. Seems like its still a tough choice in my mind.

But as I have already stated, my opinions are wholely my own and should be taken as such.

*edit* I just wanted to add, I know it sounds strange that I said I can afford up to $30K but then complained about cars being $16-20K; even though I can afford them I don't want o feel like I'm getting ripped off. I just didn't want to cause any confusion with that apparent contridiction. *edit*
    This is another example of why I post here: to correct incorrect and misleading information like this.

"As Backy stated earlier the advantages, Honda Fit base starts at 14,400 (with destination & handling charge), while range-topper Fit Sports starts at 16,520 (w D&H). The Golf doesn't compete with Accent directly but it starts around 15K as well, while Accent starts under 11K."

The 2006 Accent GLS Manual (without such luxury items such as A/C and power anything, or even cheap floor mats) MAY start at $12,995 (with destination). Yes there may be cyclical rebates that bring down the price, but not to "under $11K."
    Add in the necessary A/C/Power package and your at $14,495 for the MANUAL (you still don't get floor mats at that price!)

In ALL Southern and Western states (where I live), there are NO cars SOLD without A/C, so the Accent MANUAL really "starts" at around $14K.

The 2007 Fit MANUAL starts at $14,400, but comes with all your basic necessities. So, where exactly is this large price differential? At the VERY MOST, it's $1K (using rebates on the FIT, though not available yet on the 2007). Own that car 5 years and half the price difference evaporates on GAS MILEAGE ALONE. I won't even go into resale value. Where is the cost savings for owning the Accent?
    "The Golf doesn't compete with Accent directly but it starts around 15K as well, while Accent starts under 11K."

So the Rabbit doesn't compete with the 2007 Hatchback Accent? It seems nobody on the board wants the Rabbit to compete with any Hyundai car.

A full loaded Rabbit 2-door with EVERYTHING but ESC ($450)(not offered on the Accent) or Alloys ($450) is $15,750. The 2007 Accent SE MANUAL is $14,495 (no rebates offered). Again, a 1K price difference. We may argue over reliability, but one certainly can't argue over the fact that these cars MOST DEFINITELY compete with one another.
    What misleading information? Accent GS starts under 11K. I didn't make up the numbers, by the way.

I get it, you are some "nice guy" trying to get everyone avoid a brand at all costs, just because you claimed you've had bad experience. Well, consumers will decide for themselves whether product A, for example, is the best option for themselves. If not, they will have other options to choose from.

I am curious to see your Elantra and all of the problems you have described (pictures would be the perferred option).
    Because the Golf isn't a subcompact by classificiation. Will there be some cross-shop? Sure. But going by price isn't always the best comparison - I mean would you compare a truck and a sedan, even though they are at the same price point?

If you do want to compare, Alloy comes standard on the SE (16" Alloy Wheels), Accent SE has six airbags standard, plus more standard features here - http://www.hyundainews.com/presskit2007/3-Door06Accent_Features.html. Of course sport-tuned, stiffer suspension, and personalized accessories.
  • jrtny04jrtny04 Member Posts: 17
    just under 16k for an accent se with a moonroof is absurd. does anyone think that hyundai will offer considerable rebates and incentives.
    "Because the Golf isn't a subcompact by classificiation. Will there be some cross-shop? Sure. But going by price isn't always the best comparison - I mean would you compare a truck and a sedan, even though they are at the same price point?"

hmm..you think b/c the Rabbit has a few feet more cubic feet of space, people won't look at it? That's ridiculous. Do you think most people even know what classification their car is? LOL. Now you're just stretching for argument. It will be compared, period.

The Accent has more standard features than the Rabbit? HAH.
    I guess cruise control (how can you make a car without it?) or a decent stereo isn't one of them.

The Rabbit has: air conditioning, cruise control, remote central locking, anti-lock brakes, electronic brake force distribution, traction control, active steering, a 10-speaker in-dash CD/audio system, side impact and side curtain airbags, tilt/telescoping steering column, power windows with auto up/down on all windows, semi-automatic climate control, and many many more.

http://www.vw.com/rabbit/rabbitcompare.html?ic_id=promo_rabbit2006
    "Of course sport-tuned, stiffer suspension"

I hope its more "sporty" than the Elantra GT. That car actually drove less "sporty" than the GLS when I test drove it.
    I would agree. Judging by the fact that the 2006 Accent WITH $1K in rebates isn't selling (sales down 26%), I'd imagine Hyundai will have to offer even greater incentives to move the 2007 Accent. But will people even care remains to be seen.

Like i've said before, the ONLY way the Accent will sell is for Hyundai to price it at $12K for an AUTO trans fully equipped. Anything more, and people are shopping Yaris, Fit, Versa, Rabbit, etc.
  • cybergypsycybergypsy Member Posts: 51
    My Vw's were nothing but problems, thats why i dumped them...love the style....but not the cost!
    Yes, gotta love the vague, anecdotal posts. Let me guess, it was the "windows that fell through into the door" problem you read somewhere and try to post as your own.

Has VW had its problems, yeah it sure has. But then so has Hyundai which still places below average in JD Power's long term dependabiity survey (but then they're biased against Hyundai, right? But not in their IQS, then they're accurate! LOL). At least with VW, you get an engaging driving experience as you drive it to be serviced :)
  • acronisacronis Member Posts: 29
    I think that many points and arguments about why the Accent is inferior to the VW Rabbit makes a good debate but there is no doubt that the lame sales numbers is a signal to Hyundai that they need to change the packaging and pricing of this vehicle.

Another that could help is to give it a restyling from the front hood and grill;adding a more sleeker look. The sales numbers compared to year over year are not encouraging.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    I had a Karman Ghia once. What a piece of crap. Could not wait to get rid of it. Of all (many) the cars I have had it was the low point. I now have a 2004 Elantra GT. Love it.
    Listen germancarfan1 you are now accusing me of lying. I had a Karmann Ghia in the 70ties. If the quality of a vw was that bad in a car produced since 1949, the germans did not improve the car much did they. By the way a Karmann (sorry 2 ns) Ghia is a beetle with diff. body.
    As i said, using Cars Direct, and adding on the package with the air conditioner, and also the automatic transmission (but not the fancier wheel covers or option package with the power windows, keyless entry, etc.) The total Cars Direct Price is: $12,990...including the delivery charge of $585!.

It's my understanding that Cars Direct get a commission if you go through them (that has to be at least a few hundred $ i am sure) So, using a print out from Cars Direct (and buying direct from the dealer) i figure he should be able to get it out the door (with sales tax) for no more then $13,000 tops (plus probably about $500 for the trade in, which would knock it down to $12,500)....

Even at that, that's for a very fully loaded vehicle with: A/C, Automatic, 6 Air Bags, ABS Braking System, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, 6 Speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio/player....ALL INCLUDED! This is why i shake my head as to why people haven't been realizing what an excellent value this is for the money!

I did a little research, and it appears that the 2007 4 door models will have the A/C standard but not the ABS brakes (they will now be optional)...Also, delivery charge will be extra (not included in the MSRP price)....It's basically a "smoke and mirrors" ploy to make the car seem to be $1,000 cheaper (plus they will give the ususal $1,000 rebates) this way, bargain hunters will get the impression that the car is $2,000 less (instead of $1,000)...

For my dad, the way it works out is, if he can't find a 2006, and has to wait for the 2007, he will actually end up paying the same approx $13,000 out the door, and will get the same equipment (less the ABS system...if he wants that, he would have to pay extra)....

So, the irony is, he would be better off getting the 2006 (if he can find one)....But the "bargain hunters" will think they are getting an even better buy on the 2007 GLS 4 Door....

Either way...i still say: this car is a great value for the money.....compare it to the "out the door" prices on Yaris, Fit, etc... ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    high cost and low quality. Hyundai is winning awards now for quality. My Kia's have both been great vehicles.

The new Accent's are not world beaters but IMO they would get the transportation job done for a low price. My local dealer is offering a Polar White 2006 Hyundai Accent 4-door sedan with all the options(airbags in every corner and coming from every direction upon impact), A/C, stereo, etc., for $12,699. That includes the Hyundai $1,000 rebate and the local dealer's discount of some $181 dollars.

$12,699 for that car is a great deal. If you take good care of that Accent you'll get 200,000 miles out of the powertrain and you'll be driving a car with nice design lines and decent mechanicals.

C&D rated it 5th out of 7 cars in their comparo. They didn't like the feel of the shifter-like it was attached to rubber bands, and they didn't like the undisciplined struts and shocks. But they did like how quiet the Accent was at idle and how quiet the car was inside the cabin at 70mph, more than any other of the comparo cars. They said it had a cushy ride and had good sight lines, too.

The confidence in Hyundai and Kia is there for me. More and more people are agreeing and buying the South Korean product every year. Recently, Kia's leader was freed of charges in the Hyundai corruption case and Kia will now be ready to build their new plant in Georgia and proceed with their growth as scheduled. Hyundai's leader is going to have to face some charges still, so that can not be construed as a positive for them(they have to do with bribery of government officials, part of the business culture and business process there. Read into that what you will). But their cars, vans and SUV's are improved to compete as world-class now. Some simple research will bear that statement out as being fact.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

You seem confused.

Cars direct pricing:

2006 Accent GLS AUTO
    Option Group 3 (A/C power package)
    Cars Direct price: $13,648 (have you ever used Cars Direct my friend? You almost NEVER get the priced quoted)

Not sure where you live but count on another $800-1000 for sales tax and annother $150-200 for title and reg.

Using Edmunds TMV (much more accurate than cars direct), expect to pay $14,700 - $14,900 out the door.
    No, i think you are...the poster right before your message, with his dealer quote for the 2006....pretty much matches what i said. And he is not getting option 3...just option 2...that's why the total is $12,990. Option 2 includes the Air Conditioner....3 has things he doesn't want, like power windows and keyless entry...who needs it....$1,000 for sales tax? I don't think so...it's 4% in Fla...title and reg is always extra, for EVERY CAR...

Boy, you really hate Hyundai's don't you??? :mad:
    Of the entry-level economy cars on the market today, the 2006 Hyundai Accent is one of the most likable and offers excellent value.

The above is a quote from Edmund's own review of this car...you should read it sometime (and also the Consumers Reviews section....seems like they all love it)...

And i just did a check on Edmund's (for an est. price) theirs came out a bit higher then Cars Direct (about $13,100) but i still think you can do better...and i think the quote the previous poster gave that he actually got from a dealer, bears that out)....

I'll check in if/when my dad is able to purchase it, and let you guys know how it went. :)
    The Ghia had the same running gear as the beetle just a diff. body. Research my "friend". This was a long time ago, but it is the only personally dealings I had with VW. And this is all I am going to say about this in this Accent forum.
    Sales tax in Florida is 6% (http://www.state.fl.us/dor/taxes/vehicle_sut.html) I know I live here. So, roughly $800 additional. So, out the door price of around $14K (including tags and tax) for a car without Power windows, locks, or any alarm. Enjoy ;) Either way, not under $13K like you said.

That being said, good luck finding one in Florida without the Power package. I've looked at 4 dealers (just for research, don't plan on buying the heap) in my area and the cheapest Accent they had was 14,700 MSRP (GLS with Option 3 package). Actualy, almost all on the lot were $16K GLS's with AUTO trans.
    Has VW had its problems, yeah it sure has. But then so has Hyundai which still places below average in JD Power's long term dependabiity survey (but then they're biased against Hyundai, right? But not in their IQS, then they're accurate! LOL). At least with VW, you get an engaging driving experience as you drive it to be serviced

Stop posting incorrect information once and for all:

2005 JD Power VDS:
    Hyundai: 260
    VW: 335 (third from bottom)

2006 JD Power IQS:
    Hyundai: 102 (third best behind Porsche and Lexus)
    VW: 171 (tied for third lowest)

2005 JD Power IQS:

Hyundai 110 (11th place)
    VW: 147 (fourth from the bottom)

I don't have 2004 JD Power in front of me, but I recall Hyundai finished ahead of VW as well, although not by much. The correlation - Hyundai is improving constantly; while VW contiunes to struggle and is plauged by problems here in the US.

Just for kicks:

JD Power Customer Rentention (measures repeat buyers)

2005:

Hyundai - 56.3% (5th)
    VW - 29.3% (6th from bottom)

2004:

Hyundai - 57.6% (4th)
    VW - 33.7% (9th from bottom)

2003:

Hyundai - 52.3%
    VW - 37.1%
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    After reading all the responses to your original post, I'm not sure if your question about the pricing of the 2007 Accent being lower was answered. Actually, for comparably-equipped cars, the GLS sedan is not priced lower. However, Hyundai has changed the packaging of the GLS for 2007, so it is possible to pay less money depending on the options you want.

For 2006, ABS was standard on the GLS. For 2007, it is part of an option package (along with power accessories and some other things). Also, there is a package now with power accessories that does NOT include the alloy wheels. For 2006, if you wanted power windows/locks/mirrors etc. you had to get the alloys too. So basically there is more flexibility now in getting options on the Accent. If for example you want a car with ABS, A/C, and power package but don't need alloys or automatic, you can get one thst lists for just under $14k. If your dad can wait awhile for rebates to appear on the 2007 Accents, and I don't think that will take long due to the strong competition in this class that germancarfan1 and others have mentioned, he should be able to get a GLS nicely equipped for $12 or less. If he can make do with a GS hatchback, it would be less still.

There are some real deals to be had on the Accent. I am down in central Texas now and there's a new dealer in Kyle (says they are the largest Hyundai dealer in the world, not sure how they measured that...) advertising '06 Accent automatics for $9990. I wouldn't be surprised if these didn't have A/C at that price; the ad wasn't clear. If I have time this week I'll stop over there with my BIL (his wife is looking for an inexpensive new car) and check it out.
    Thanks backy, that was helpful...Any idea of when we might expect to see the 2007 4 doors to be arriving (I know the 2007 2 doors are already starting to come in)....

Well, i guess if he can't find what he wants on the 2006 that are left in the South Fla dealerships, he might have to wait for the 2007s to come in...The closest one to him in Deerfield Beach says they will have none until 2007s arrive...The one in Boyton Beach has 2 (according to their online website inventory list) Coconut Creek (the new one) he will call this week to see what they have, and the one near Ft Lauderdale has the most...about 14, though he really wanted to buy from a dealer closer to home...

And yes, i misquoted the sale tax amount, germancarfan...it is 6% in fla....

I have a feeling he will have to end up waiting a while...i was so hoping he would get it now, so i can fly down quick to visit him and start driving it! (lol) ;)
    Since Hyundai and third-party sources have already published the pricing for the 2007 GLS, they should be arriving soon. Don't know exactly when, though.

You can use the New Car configurator here at Edmunds.com to get an idea of the list price of a 2007 Accent equipped the way your dad wants it, and the invoice price. Even though it's a 2007, I would try to negotiate down to invoice at least (before rebates) if I were you. The 2007 GLSes are unchanged from the 2006s (except for packaging) and competition is severe. Good luck!
    Backy I wonder if there is any rumor about the accent hatchback coming out in a 5-door.
    I hope so! The pre-2006 Accent was available in some places such as Canada as a 5-door.
    Thanks B.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I'd be very surprised if a 5-door Accent shows up in the US. Hatchbacks are still a niche market, and the Kia Rio5 already fills the 5-door slot (and is the same car under the skin).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Since the Germans are hosting my favorite event at the moment (soccer WC), I've been trying to be more tolerant of posts regarding their products. However, we're now at the point where it makes sense to focus exclusively on the Accent, and take the VW talk to one of the many existing discussions about their products. Schönen Dank!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    shouldn't that read Dank Schonen? And how did you get those two dots to appear over the "o"? These tricky hosts! ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick