Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well of course not. The previous-gen Sonata was designed in the mid-90s and debuted in 1998. The newest Hyundais tested by the IIHS debuted five years ago. Not many cars of that vintage are "best picks." Let's wait to see how the new Hyundais like the '06 Accent, with their standard side bags and curtains, fare in the tests. This is a discussion about a '06 model, not the 5+ year old models in Hyundai's lineup.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "The newest Hyundais tested by the IIHS debuted five years ago. Not many cars of that vintage are "best picks.""

Many of the former Sonata's peers from the same years earned "Good/Best Picks" in the frontal offset, thats a very lame excuse.

"The newest Hyundais tested by the IIHS debuted five years ago." Thats neither here nor there. Regardless of the debut date, the Elantra and Santa Fe are still being sold, and they are not at/near the top of the class for IIHS ratings. [I would also point that the Kia Spectra, with side curtains standard, did not perform at or near the top of the class in either IIHS frontal or offset, and that vehicle debuted last year].

The current Elantra also gives me pause with regard to safety for the fact that the IIHS tested it NO LESS THAN SIX TIMES in the frontal offset due to various safety related issues including two consecutive incidents of late firing airbags (which took Hyundai 3 model years to modify), a fuel tank leak (which Hyundai corrected quickly), and a non-firing airbag (which lead Hyundai to subsequently recall a number of vehicles). As they say though, the sixth time was a charm, and the vehicle now rates a "Good" though not best pick.

My point: Hyundai may lead the field for standard safety features, but they have to work correctly to provide any actual benefit.

Yes, the Accent is an '06 model. But, I'm skeptical as to its actual crash performance, due to an unstellar track record for the brand. Certainly, it would be nice if the record is reversed with these new entries.

~alpha
    Many of the former Sonata's peers from the same years earned "Good/Best Picks" in the frontal offset, thats a very lame excuse.

If you consider two to be many, then maybe it's lame. That's how many cars with as old a design as the '99-'05 Sonata rated "good/best pick" on frontal offset. And the IIHS rates the old Sonata ahead of one of them, the Passat, overall. So I guess that equates one with many?

The stuff about Elantras isn't pertinent to the '06 Accent, although it should have given Hyundai a wake-up call. Look how fast they (Kia actually) acted when the Spectra got a "poor" rating. With all their talk about safety, you have to figure they are going to put intense emphasis on scoring well on crash tests with their 7x24 models, or all their work (and marketing) is for naught. But we'll see for sure in a few weeks/months when the crash test results come out.
    Automobile Magazine has a preview of the 2006 cars, and for Hyundai they mentioned the Accent, Azera, and Sonata. For the Accent, they said it would not be available until December. :( Hyundai's web site says "Fall 2005". Since fall officially lasts until late December, I guess both could be true. The preview also said that power windows and locks will be optional on the Accent. I was hoping those would be standard on the GLS, as they are on the Elantra GLS now. Still, if Hyundai can keep the list price of the '06 Accent with power package around $13k with all of its safety equipment, including ABS, that would be a good deal after the discounts and rebates that will inevitably come soon after introduction.
    Pricing for the '06 Rio is out. For a sedan with power package (windows/locks/mirrors/remote) and ABS the price is about $14k. So much for my desire to see the '06 Accent at about $13k with that equipment. :( Looks like a '06 Accent with automatic, mats, and power package could easily top $15k. That's only a few hundred less than a comparably-equipped Elantra (no side curtains on the Elantra of course, but it does have traction control and more interior room). It will be interesting to see how the '06 Accent fares in the showrooms against the "close-em-out-the-new-'07s-are-coming" Elantras.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    MSRP for a 06 Rio LX Sedan with auto, power window/door locks, dual heated power side mirrors, tweeter/6 speaker sound system, CD, keyless entry, ABS, spoiler and floor mats comes to 15155. Invoice 14326. 5 door SX model MSRP is 15960 and invoice is 15106. SX has alloy wheels and leather wrap steering wheel as standard. Not quite as competive compared to Spectra models.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Love it.... bring it on!!!! I guess digital instruments are coming back.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Maybe, but the concept may have been spiced up for effect.
  • gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    http://www.hyundai-motor.com/common/html/showroom/flash/verna/main_ui.html

It's official hyundai accent (Verna in korea) show room (Korean model)

korean models have climate control, leather seat, 11 different exterior colors, price starts at around $8,500 (1.4 engine) to $12,500 (top of the line 1.6 engine), mp3 player, front heated seats, steering wheel mouthed audio control etc....
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    This concept is just BEAUTIFUL. This is exactly what I want the interior to look like. I'm gonna be so disappointed if this doesn't get made. :cry:
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    When is the '06 Accent available? It's a really nice looking vehicle for the class. With current gas prices, I'd think they can't introduce it fast enough! I'm sure it will be a hit.
    The trade mags have said December. Hyundai's announcements have said "fall 2006", so they are consistent. I can't wait to compare the new Accent to the new Rio to see if they have different suspension tuning, ala Tucson vs. Sportage.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    It's "fall 2005"
    Right, sorry about the typo. :blush:
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    now that I have seen the three door I am hyped. I fell asleep when I saw the 4 door sedan. You can put money on the fact that it will not show up in the dealer showrooms looking like it did in the concept. It will look like the concept minus the flared fenders, scoops and high end lights. I do agree with the economy group, that it should get better. There is no reason a 1.6 can not get 40mpg with the right programming. Koreans have always been behind on that front. Our Santa Fe has never gotten better than 18mpg and most of the time it is in the 14mpg range. My co workers gasp when I tell them.
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    The 2006 Accent should be a good improvement. I was recently at the
    LA New Car Auto Show. The new 2006 Accent was unavailable except for
    viewing. I did thoroughly check out it's sister - the 06 Kia Rio 4 door.
    I liked the 06 Rio very much. I imagine the new Accent will be similar.
    06 Accent and Rio get more power to 110 horsepower.
    I was at the Anaheim Auto show last week (I think this is the same) and I saw the 2006 Hyundai Accent. I couldn't sit inside or touch because it was on a big display pedastle. Anyway, the car looked really good and more upscale to me than the 06 Rio. It appeared like a smaller version of the Corolla though slightly more modern. The interiors looked near identical (they had the doors open on the Accent). I was able to sit inside the Rio and think the interior is a little better than I fist thought. I think when the Rio5 comes out with the metalized interior trim bits the car will look better. If Hyundai comes out with a 4 door equivalent of the Rio5 but with a moonroof option I would definitely consider the car.

Happy motoring
    The new Accent looks really good compared to the previous model. I think it will appeal to a much wider customer base and not just entry level customers. I have been shopping the Honda Civic and Mazda3, but if the Accent is available before I make a decision I will at least give it a serious look. I wouldn't mind saving thousands of dollars if I like it.

Any idea yet when the release date will be?
    I heard it should be in around December. I hope sooner so I could take a look and test drive. The Accent I saw was a Burgundy color with alloys and looked really sharp. The fit and finish was great. It was the best looking small car at the show.

Happy motoring
  • gwidogwido Member Posts: 25
    According to this review on the CanadianDriver website, the Accent should be available in late november (in Canada, at least)

It also mentions that a three-door hatch will arrive as a 2007 model in the first quarter of 2006 :)
    Thanks for the link, good review.

I still can't get over how much standard equipment it is going to have at the price. Wow!

The review mentions that ABS and multiple airbags aren't standard on the base GL (in Canada) but I'm wondering if they will be standard in the U.S. The Sonata GL in Canada doesn't have ABS, but it is standard on the U.S. model. Will be interesting to see....

I'm also curious where prices will start on the U.S. model. If a loaded GLS 5-speed manual can be had for around $13k, this is looking more and more appealing to me.
    Yes, Hyundai has announced that the GLS (only model offered in the U.S. at launch) will have six airbags and ABS standard.

I expect the base price of the GLS will be about $12.6k including destination charge. This is based on the price of the Rio LX with ABS. Since the Rio is the cousin of the Accent, they should be fairly close in price with the same equipment. The Rio LX includes A/C but public information on the Accent indicates it will be optional, so add about $800 for A/C. The power package is $600 more on the Kia so it should be similar on the Accent, bringing the price for a loaded 5-speed with A/C and power package to about $14k. Add some more for alloys and (if available?) a moonroof. The Korean site for the Accent shows a photo with a moonroof, but I haven't seen any mention or photos of a moonroof option on the U.S. Accent.
    Looks like the specifications for the 2006 Accent have been released. Go to autodeadline.com. Anyway, the gas mileage for the new Accent is not even with the 06 Rio. I would have thought that would at least be even with Rio for both manual and auto.

Manual: 32 mpg city 35 mpg hwy - same as Rio
    Auto: 28 mpg city 36 mpg hwy compared to 29 city 38 hwy for Rio

06 Accent isn't much better than 06 Elantra which is a design dating back pre 2001.

Happy motoring
    That is disappointing, and surprising since they have the same engine. With a list price of about $15k for an automatic Accent with ABS, and with an Elantra GLS with ABS and moonroof for not much more plus more interior room and cruise control, and almost the same fuel economy, the Accent doesn't look like a very good value proposition any more.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Hyundai Accent with an automatic tranny or a manual? Couldn't you save a skosh with the stick? Or don't you always, without much of an exception, buy automatic rigs?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I usually buy sticks, but am thinking of an automatic on my next car for the following reasons: 1) two kids will be learning to drive on it (and Son #1 destroyed the clutch on my '01 Elantra to the tune of $1300); 2) there seems to be a trend (see Rio and Civic for example) of automatics getting even better fuel economy than sticks; 3) automatics usually have lower revs on the highway--and are more quiet--than sticks; 4) the Hyundai/Kia 10-year powertrain warranty covers automatics but not clutches (especially if they are destroyed by abuse, see #1); 5) traffic is getting increasingly worse in my town, with more stop-and-go.

So yes, I could save about $800 with a stick, but it would be the same savings on the Accent or Elantra. All it would take is a few crunching shifts by my kids on the clutch and I'd be negative in that equation really quick. I might still get a stick if I get a car with a small engine and a great stick, e.g. Honda Fit, but if I got the Accent or another Elantra, or a Rio, it would be the automatic I think.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    to go with an automatic. The important thing is that you would be getting a Hyundai, which sets you immediately ahead of the game, eh?

Our situation is set for a while yet with our '01 Sportage 4x4 but recently it has been hitting me straight on that Hyundai/Kia makes the most sense of any other manufacturer (like I didn't already believe that).

I am going to take a good look at all of the cars Kia is putting out but the new Sportage is the rig I dig the most.

Enjoy your car shopping experience when it comes up, backy! :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Very interesting that the automatic is rated higher than the manual, much like the new Civic gets 2mpg better highway with automatic than manual.

The difference between the Rio and Accent automatic would most likely be gearing, correct? If it were weight, the manual would also be slightly lower for the Accent. If it is gearing of the automatic, then the Accent should be slightly quicker than the Rio. Of course, this is all just speculation on my part.

The biggest disappointment I've read is that cruise control won't be available. I find it a little odd that you can heated mirrors and heated seats, but no cruise. Some things just don't make much sense...
    Well, they have to give you some reason to spend a few more bucks for an Elantra. ;) I don't see any mention of an optional moonroof, either.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I can't say anything about gas mileage because Hyundai hasn't told us anything yet. I did get to see one that one of the district service reps was driving and it did have a moonroof in it.
    Check out Hyundai's recent press release on the Accent, in which they published the EPA numbers. There was a lot of other info in there about the car too.

That's good to hear about the moonroof.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I see no Accent press release on the Hyundai web site.
    Go here and you will see multiple press releases about the Accent, all from 10/17/05 (hopefully this is not considered competitive with Edmunds.com; it was mentioned a few posts back):

http://www.autodeadline.com/index.html
    I have seen a couple of sites (autodeadline.com is one) where they mention no option of a moonroof. This to me is quite a bummer. It seems to me if the Accent is released with MSRP prices similiar to the 06 Rio, and with the 06 Elantra prices where they are the Accent isn't very competitive against its bigger sibling. I think Hyundai is doing this purposedly so when the 07 Elantra comes out they can move it up in the price range a bit to be more in line with 06 Civic and 06 Mazda 3.

Happy motoring
    Exactly. The Civic LX and Mazda3i with ABS/SAB/SAC and power package are around $17k (3i includes alloys). So the '07 Elantra will probably start around $15-15.5k, putting it $1000-1500 above the Accent. I think if they try for any more than that it's really pushing it until resale values improve.
    The prices quoted for the new Accent seem a little unbelievable, don't they? I don't see how Hyundai can offer the Accent GLS starting at $11,455, including ABS/traction, when the Rio LX is about $1000 more with A/C but without ABS/traction. Of course, I would be very happy if the Accent does actually start at $11,455!

I think I like the exterior of the Accent better than the Rio's, and I definitely like the interior of the Accent better. It looks much more upscale, with the metalllic HVAC knobs, Sonata-style dash, and amenities like three rear headrests and the rear seat armrest with cupholders. Too bad the hatchback will come only in a 3-door for the forseeable future.
    After seeing the production Accent and Rio, I think Kia will have a tough time selling the Rio. What would be the benefit of buying the Rio when you could have the better/classier looking Hyundai?

Don't get me wrong, I think the Rio is actually a nice looking car. But I think Hyundai made the Accent look almost too good in comparison. They'll sell every one of these that they can build!
    The Rio has the advantage of a five-door model (priced too close to the current Elantra, IMO) and some people may like the more "European" looks of the Rio, including the sedan, than the more buttoned-down look of the Accent. But if the Accent winds up costing less than the Rio, comparably equipped (which I would find hard to fathom), it will be no contest. Especially for me, since I might be able to get a loyalty rebate on the Accent someday but not on the Rio. ;)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Styling is very subjective, and among the sedans, the Rio, to my eyes, is more attractive.

~alpha
    When I went to the Anaheim Auto Show in southern CA earlier this month they had both the 06 Rio and 06 Accent. I have to say that I was a lot more impress with the looks of the Accent. It looked very good to me. I know looks are subjective but between both sedans the Accent will win my heart. The only thing I don't understand is why the EPA ratings for the Accent are lower than the Rio when they use exactly the same powertrains and transmissions (I assume they are near the same weight).

Happy motoring
  • tatamy19tatamy19 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when they will actually be available to purchase? I live in South Carolina and my local dealerships are telling me they won't have them until after the 1st of the year. :(

I know they are already for sale in Canada.
    A recent review in CanadianDriver noted that '06 Accents would not be available in Canada until late November. Have you seen the new Accent in Canada already? One 2006 preview magazine I read--I think it was Motor Trend--said December for the Accent in the U.S. So it's possible your dealer won't get new Accents before January.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/06accent.htm
  • tatamy19tatamy19 Member Posts: 8
    A friend of mine in Montreal just bought a 2006 Accent. She paid $14,500 CDN for a 3DR, AT, loaded.

I was tempted to hop on a plane to buy one myself!
    I suspect the Accent your friend bought is the old design, not the new one being discussed here. The all-new 3-door Accent isn't supposed to be available in Canada until early next year as a 2007 model.
    Hi all,

Looks like Hyundai mad their press release of the 2006 3 Door Accent along with specs, features and photos. Car looks great. It would definitely be on my list the next time I am looking for a small car.

http://www.hyundainews.com/presskit2006/3-Door06Accent_PressRelease.html

Happy motoring
    It will be interesting to see where they set the prices for the 3-doors, particularly the GS which I'd expect to undercut the GLS 4-door. As long as they can keep it at least a thousand dollars under the price of the upcoming Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit and Nissan Versa, they have an unquestionable hit on their hands.

Will the GLS be the only trim for the 4-door or might they offer the sportier SE trim on it in the future?
    An Accent GT 4-door would make an interesting package, with sport suspension and 16" wheels. But that 3-door looks pretty sharp.