Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caliber

Comments

• justbilljustbill Member Posts: 7
    I rolled down the rear window on the drivers side only and the buffeting was almost painful... in reading the owners manual, I came across a passage that addresses this issue.. of course the fix was to roll the window up, open an opposing window some, etc... so they were aware of this issue from the beginning..

Bill
    Inferno Red R/T
  • utterutter Member Posts: 79
    justbill- its not really an issue- but a well known principle based on science that as mentioned occurs in most cars. This is from the article/link posted below that explains wind buffetting:

"An unstable shear layer that is established at the forward edge of a window opening causes wind buffeting. These disturbances (swirling wind or currents of different speeds and directions) travel along the side of the vehicle and, when they reach the rear edge of the window opening, generate a pressure wave that propagates both inside and outside the passenger compartment. Outside the vehicle, this wave moves both forward and backward along the side of the car. When the forward-traveling wave reaches the front edge of the opening, it triggers another disturbance that moves back to the rear edge. This process is repeated many times a second and causes the shear layer to develop a characteristic buffeting frequency, which depends on the vehicle speed and the geometry of the opening."
    link title

As for the CoolZone- I don't know that it was ever meant to be more than a place to keep drinks cold (not cool them down). For what it is, I think it's pretty neat that they thought to put that in there!
  • justbilljustbill Member Posts: 7
    Yeah I really don't have a problem with the CoolZone.. just wondered it if the ease of movement was only happening in mine..but in reading this and other forums, that seems to be the norm... if I do use the box for keeping things chilled, I will just wedge in something temporarily... :)
  • imnotsohappyimnotsohappy Member Posts: 4
    It just so great to know that you all are enjoying your Calibers, if you read back a little you know what i mean. They still cant figure out the problem with mine, and im stuck paying a Caliber payment but driving a beat up Ford Focus rental car. :mad:
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    too bad your dealer just does'nt send the car back to the plant and give u another one!
  • psychdocpsychdoc Member Posts: 147
    I just love my calibar, I got the SXT model with 2.0 engine, fog lights, and all power inside, the color is sunburst orange pearl. The question is the cool zone though, talked to the dealer and he says that he is going to a meeting and he intends to ask about what to do in order to keep the plastic vent open. I find that if you pull on the thing hard enough it will stay open, but you not need to pull it so hard that you brake it though. It is a poor design the salesman said and I agreed with him on that also. When I find out about the cool zone problem I will post it here for all to see. No problems so far. I just got my calibar on 5-31-06 and they are only 3 sunburst orange pearl calibars here where I'm at, and I'm just loving it.
  • tigger4848tigger4848 Member Posts: 3
    Just letting you all know that it was me that posted this on the 2007 calibar
  • caliberred1caliberred1 Member Posts: 7
    there is a web site www.dodgeparts.com you can find the door sill plates here. I have them on my caliber they are nice. :)
  • forbin42forbin42 Member Posts: 1
    HI first time posting, but I've been lurking. Just stoped by a dealer and sat in an SXT. It felt comfortable. It's yellow tho. I'm not a big fan of yellow but it didn't look all that bad really. Going back in the am to take it for a ride. Heres the window sticker from their web site.

MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE OF THIS MODEL INCLUDING DEALER PREPARATION

Base Price: $ 15,425

DODGE CALIBER SXT
    Exterior Color: Solar Yellow Clear Coat Exterior Paint
    Interior Color: Pastel Slate Gray Interior Colors
    Interior: Cloth Seats with Color-Keyed Insert
    Engine: 2.0-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve Dual VVT Engine
    Transmission: Continuously Variable Transaxle II
    STANDARD EQUIPMENT(UNLESS REPLACED BY OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT)
    FUNCTIONAL / SAFETY FEATURES
    Front Advanced Multistage Air Bags**
    Supplemental Side Curtain Front and Rear Air Bags**
    Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
    Solar-Control Glass
    Rear Window Defroster
    Rearview Day/Night Mirror
    Sentry Key(R) Theft Deterrent System
    Keyless Entry
    Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
    Sliding Sun Visors with Mirrors
    Power Accessory Delay
    Rear Window Wiper/Washer
    Power Mirrors
    Speed Sensitive Power Locks
    Power Windows with Driver's One-Touch-Down Feature
    Passenger Assist Handles
    Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    Touring Suspension
    12-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet
    Auxiliary 115-Volt Power Outlet
    Illuminated Entry
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    Air Conditioning with Chill Zone(TM) Storage
    Illuminated Cupholders
    Tilt Steering Column
    AM/FM/CD, Chgr Ctrl, Aux Input Jack
    4 Speakers
    Sliding Armrest with Cell Phone/MP3 Holder
    Flexible Seating Group
    Driver's Seat with Height Adjuster
    Rear Fold-Flat-Forward Seat
    Rear 60/40 Split Recline Seat
    Fold Flat - Load Floor
    Interior Removable/Rechargeable Lamp
    Satin Silver Shifter Bezel
    Satin Silver Instrument Panel Bezel
    Front and Rear Floor Mats
    EXTERIOR FEATURES
    Liftgate Door with Fixed Glass

PRICE INFORMATION (contd.)
    Halogen Headlamps
    17" x 6.5" Steel Wheels
    P215/60R17 BSW All Season Touring Tires

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
    Solar Yellow Clear Coat Exterior Paint $ 150
    Solar Yellow Seat Insert
    Customer Preferred Package 24E $ 645
    Sport Appearance Interior Group
    Color-Keyed Instrument Panel Bezel
    Cloth Seats with Color-Keyed Insert
    Color-Keyed Shifter Bezel
    Fog Lamps
    17" x 6.5" Aluminum Wheels
    MusicGate Power (TM) Sound System $ 495
    2 Articulating Liftgate Speakers
    6 Boston Acoustics Speakers with Subwoofer
    Steering Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls
    Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
    Heated Front Seats $ 250
    Continuously Variable Transaxle II $ 1,000
    Anti-Lock Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
    2.0-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve Dual VVT Engine $ 100
    Power Sunroof $ 750
    Speed Control $ 250
    SIRIUS Satellite Digital Radio $ 195
    Call SIRIUS to Activate at 888-539-7474
    1-Year Service Provided by SIRIUS

DESTINATION CHARGE $ 560

TOTAL PRICE:* $ 19,820
  • stevenbarbrnstevenbarbrn Member Posts: 5
    The yellow is HOT! Get the shiny chrome wheels instead of the aluminum ones - it will make all the difference. Ours was spec't out just like yours - about the same price too!

Check out pics of our neat ride! :shades:
    http://www.carspace.com/stevenbarbrn/?50@@.59a51db8
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    You got the R/T version. I agree with the chrome it makes the Yellow tolerable. In a plain SE I would say no to that color though. You need the upgrades for that color IMO.
    I've got almost all of my Mopar Parts on my car now. Here are the pictures, there are two pages of pictures. The second page is the stock car pictures.

Caliber Pics
  • racing4racing4 Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a Cruiser and love it (except for the highway road noise)! I was out looking for a New Cruiser and came across the Caliber. So now I have to decide ! ! ! Has anyone driven both and can tell me if the Caliber has the same noise problem? Thanks in advance
  • nicewheels1nicewheels1 Member Posts: 8
    I have posted several problems here in the last few weeks so I thought I would update the status. I can see that others may have had the same issues. First I reported a problem with a noisy fuel pump (high pitched ringing sound). The selling dealer would not do anything for me but I took it to another Dodge dealer and they ordered a replacement pump that did not correct the problem. Apparently there is a "harmonics" problem with the Caliber I purchased that causes noises to be amplified through the body of the car.
    The next problem I reported was the "popping" or "pinging" noise from the exhaust during driving, idling and after stopping. Chrysler told the dealer they were aware of this and were not working on a fix for it but the metal would cure and the noise would get quieter eventually.
    The third problem I reported was engine "knocking" that Chrysler acknowledged they were working on and eventually would have a program to retard the timing and correct the problem (also reducing the gas mileage). The fourth problem I reported was a rattle underneath the console that appeared to get worse when the wind was stronger. The dealer could not identify the source and I was told I might just have to get used to it.
    Since I was not willing to accept all these issues on a new car with less than 1000 miles (costing $20K)and I could not get any cooperation from Chrysler I decided to sell the car and buy something dependable to drive. I have owned several Chrysler products but I will not own another one after this one.
    I owned a PT Cruiser for 3 years and recently purchsed a Caliber. The Caliber is somewhat quieter on the highway but has many other noise issues that you might not want to deal with in the long run. I would keep driving the Cruiser for a while and wait until next year on the Caliber if I was you. There are still too many issues with this car to buy one now.
  • racing4racing4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks of the info and advice. Sorry to hear that your experience with the Caliber was not a good one. It all comes down to customer service and now a days $20k is nothing to most dealerships.
  • calibreathcalibreath Member Posts: 22
    I would like to purchase a Caliber, but I will wait out all the problems if I do. Right now, today, what is the best ie (most dependable and economical) :sick: car in this class? Vibe, PT Cruiser etc? Thank you.
  • racarnesracarnes Member Posts: 1
    I have the R/T and i got the click too. what is up with that anoying noise?
    I think I am one of the few that doesn't have the CVT, we opted for the manual transmission and I don't have ANY noise issues. I wonder if it's all related to the CVT?????

Anyone with a manual transmission having problems with noise?

So far my only complaint is that the car needs to be faster but that is because I traded in a Mustang GT and everything seems slow compared to that.

Oh, and it would be better if the interior was darker, having kids and a light grey intentior can be problematic.
    After recently purchasing a Caliber and then selling it three weeks later I would recommend you look at a Honda or Toyota for the best dependability and economy. Vibe is actually a Toyota Matrix in disguise but may actually cost more than the Matrix. Take a look at the Car and Driver and Edmunds reviews on the small wagon / hatchbacks. There's some good information in there.
  • nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    My SXT CVT has both the spark knock and the exhaust pinging. I would be satisfied if Dodge were to say something like "We know people are having these problems, but we do not have a solution right now - we are working on it."
    Instead it appears that Dodge is saying "there are no problems with the car" when they know otherwise. We are not making these thing up. I also suspect that changes are being made in the current production cars to solve these noises, but, as owners of early models, we are being ignored because they do not have enough good parts to fix our cars and continue building more cars at the same time.
    If anyone knows why Dodge is ignoring us, please let me know. I think we all agree that while Dodge has a good acr overall, this is unacceptable and Dodge needs to clean up their act quite a bit.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to "mute" the horn when using the remote entry fob to lock the doors? Our Caravan, and other cars we have had, gives a light toot of the horn when you lock the doors, but the Caliber gives you a full blast. This is quite loud if you are near the car and really unnecessary. Thanks!
    It's in the drivers convenice group menu on the dash.
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    the latest jd power survey:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/07/Autos/jdpower_iqs/

some surprises: porshe overall #1 in survey, hyundai #3. the rest none too surprising. dodge is way down the list-20th out of 38 nameplates.(see wall street journal, June 8.--sorry i couldnt find a link to the overall chart)) while this is an initial quality survey, i cant help but think if your cars have alot of problems in the beginning, that does not speak well to long term reliability.
  • fmfpjfmfpj Member Posts: 12
    :) :P i just had a fow master hushpower installed and it sound good considering the 1.8L I4. Does not sound like a bee hive at all. loving the caliber
  • fmfpjfmfpj Member Posts: 12
    i have the 5 speed manual sxt, no clicking. had 3 weeks now. just city driving no complaints. very satisfied :) .
  • silvercalibersilvercaliber Member Posts: 30
    :confuse: Caliberchic you may be onto something. My Caliber SXT Sport 5 speed was built about the same time yours was and after about 600 miles I have no engine noise unless I rev it up too much and that's not the car's fault. Maybe the cvt is trying to drop the revs too much combined with too advanced ignition timing. It's only an uneducated guess and I hope those of you with pinging engines can get it sorted out soon.
    Hey caliberchic!

Tolerable!!?! :P

There is a method to our madness however. We live in an area of good ol' WVa we like to call the "Methuselah Belt". About 75% of the population is >70 and they ALL drive Coupe de Hogs (or Buick boats), with their heads just over the steering wheel! :mad: It's nice to know we're driving a car we think they MIGHT see!

Anyhow, "X" is a real party car! We're still looking for suggestions for tricking her out.
    Has anybody attempted to contact Dodge Customer Service at their 800 number? We've tried calling them and wasted about 15 minutes just making selections on their automated menu - and never did talk to a real, live human being! :cry: Believe it or not, all we wanted to do is let them know they have our mailing address wrong! :mad: :mad:
    Check out my carspace page http://www.carspace.com/caliberchic for some ideas for "tricking" your car out. I have added several mopar parts BUT your R/T already has a hand up on us because you already have the chrome molding, chrome door handles and chrome rims.

What about getting the color matched spoiler? That's next for us. Oh, I think the rain guards look good too. Tint would be good too!
    I have about 600 miles on mine too! I have such a LACK of engine noise that I stall the darn thing in first because you can't hear the motor! :blush: I learned to drive on a stick and have owned MANY so I know it's not my driving skills. LOL
  • canoenutcanoenut Member Posts: 12
    I have also driven manuals for 35 years and I have never stalled a car more often than with my Caliber!!!

I'm not sure what the problem is (aside from myself)?
  • moonhunt18moonhunt18 Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know if the lights can be made to go on aotomatically when either engine is started or sun is dimming, and off when the engine is stopped or sun is bright? :shades:
    I couldnt find info in the manual about it.
    or do i have to do it manually all the time. Boy do i sound spoiled..lol :P

thanks!
  • imnotsohappyimnotsohappy Member Posts: 4
    Well at 2146 miles and at the dealership for repairs 5 times, Dodge has finally agreed that my Caliber is not good and are going to buy it back from me! Thank God!!! Hope everyone else enjoys there Caliber and doesnt experience the nightmares i went through. :)
    Caliberchic is right again, the quietness of this engine makes you stall it if you don't rev up until you hear it and I am not happy for my clutch. Had my Caliber gassed up and washed for the first time today and after that the engine "malfunction" light came on. The manual says this can be caused by the gas cap but there seems to be no problem there. Now have to make my first visit to the service department. Went to a Mopar show today and a guy took some pics of my car. Gave him 10 bucks to send me copies. Hope he's a straight shooter, seemed to be.
  • gljvdgljvd Member Posts: 129
    My buddy has the pinging on his , it has a little over 1200 miles on it . We drove down the shore in Jersey . IT was a two and a half hour drive down to alantic city. When we were done with the drive the pinging was gone and hasn't come back yet.

ITs a cool car all things considered . I might pick one up , depending on if your problems get solved
  • calibreathcalibreath Member Posts: 22
    Great! Hope you get a good one! :blush:
  • kjguy43kjguy43 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how and or where you can find out what date your car was mfg'ed. I have the SE model, I do have the noise from the exhaust. I haven't heard any knocking in the engine. Does the knocking happen all the time or it is just when you start the car. I know Chrysler is famous for their hydraulic lifters tapping like there is no tomorrow. I checked my vin and that doesn't tell me the date. When I took my bezel off to upgrade radio, it looked like a bunch of stuff had April 06 stickers.
  • angelelusiveangelelusive Member Posts: 2
    Hey all, new poster here, but I've been reading your comments for a few days now, and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm looking at the Cali, and the Mitsu Lancer, both in the base model. I've driven several Lancers, and I'm off to drive a Cali tomorrow. Any opinions on the two vehicles and how they compare?

Also, my local dealer only has 5spd vehicles in stock, which is ok, but I haven't decided if I want a 5 or a CVT model. How would owners rate the CVT tranny?

Any other factors to consider that I might not be thinking of? I admit, I LOVE the look of the Caliber... I'm leaning that way. Should I just wait and buy an off-demo model in 10 months? I've never purchased brand new before... little help? :)
    (sorry for all the questions...)
    Help a Caliberchic out, please vote http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/announcement/pig-and-bear-are-indecisive-enter-the-- contest-poll-180103.php

Mine is the Caliber peeing on the tree. And if you vote for any one else shame on you! j/k!
  • abbm0607abbm0607 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there, I purchased my caliber on may 12, i love it, but i after a few days, we started hearing a LOUD pinging noise coming from what sounded like the muffler, took it to dealer, could not find anything wrong with it, but the service manager did not like the noise either, so he called chrysler and they said just go ahead and replace entire exhaust system ( muffler, exhaust pipes, and catalytic converter). i have had no problems since then!! it is great on gas, very roomy, sirius radio is a BIG plus!! :blush:
    My input is that the only ones here that don't have engine/muffler noise are the ones with 5 speeds. Food for thought?
  • angelelusiveangelelusive Member Posts: 2
    Do you have any personal complaints about yours? You seem to love yours...
    It does appear that none of the 5 speeds have the exhaust tick or engine noise. However, this may simply be a function of the build date. All of the the early production (January - April) cars were CVTs since the manual trannys were not available to Dodge early on.

It does appear that Dodge is aware of the exhaust noise and the engine pinging. We will see what they are going to do about it on a large-scale basis. From what I've read with other posts, there was a problem with a joint being too tight on the exhaust causing the excessive cooldown noise. I'm not surprised that the replacing the exhaust solved the problem. All of the current production cars (May or June) should have the "fix" already done at the factory.

As for the engine pinging, mine does ping, but it is not noticeable with the windows rolled up. The 5 speeds all have the 1.8 liter engine and the CVTs all have the 2.0 liter engine. The computer programming for these two ehgines is most likely different, so the pinging is likely due to the programming, not the tranny.

As far as 5 speed versus CVT goes... The CVT is $1100 US more, but it is a nice tranny, the larger engine has dual balance shafts (the smaller engine does not), and ABS is included with the CVT package. A 5 speed with ABS is $700 US cheaper than a CVT with ABS. US MPG is only about 2 mpg higher with the smaller engine and 5 speed, but some folks have been reporting higher than rated MPG with the 5-speed but the CVT appears to be right on the ratings.

I thought the CVT with ABS was worth the extra money, especially considering the typically lower resale of 5 speeds.

As for the SE model, you can't get cruise control on it, so that's what made me buy an SXT model. The reclining rear seats and folding front seat on the SXT are very nice also. I think an SE with A/C and power package is only about $500 cheaper than the SXT, which has these items as standard.

Despite the two noises mentioned before, I'm happy with the car. Hopefully Dodge will spread teh word to dealers abotu how to fix both of these issues.
    :shades: I was a first time buyer myself and one of the most exciting things about buying my Caliber was that I was able to have it built just like I wanted it and after you get it you really bond with it and consider it "your" car. When you buy used or even "demo" off the lot, you have to search like crazy to get what you want, and even after that you often have to compromise on something. Custom orders are a long wait but once you get your car it seems to be worth it. I even kept the window sticker for a souvenir. It says "this car was built for" (your name)! Definitely a once in a lifetime experience. BTW some may say that the 5 speed has less resale value, when I picked mine up the sales manager told me three other dealers had phoned inquiring whether I was going to take the car ie. they had customers for it. Also, I think it will always be rare, a stick SXT Sport with most of the options. Here in Canada, if you forego the cvt and ABS brakes you save $1200.00, a lot of money that can go into some other goodies.The bottom line is before you lay out your hard earned money, make sure that it is the car you want.
  • neely2005neely2005 Member Posts: 70
    I've posted this Twice Before in this Forum but here it is again...

"All-round, I love this transmission. Its among the best CVTs Ive ever tried. Interestingly, what might be the best CVT Ive driven overall is fitted to Nissans Murano crossover, a transmission that just happens to be made by the same supplier that builds the Calibers CVT, Jatco; a Japanese company thats partially owned by Nissan. The Caliber CVT is a more sophisticated gearbox than that in the Murano, however, being a newer, more updated CVT2 example, and is probably only bested by the Nissan due to the larger vehicles torque-laden V6 engine - kind of an apples to oranges comparison."

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Dodge/review/2007-dodge-caliber-road-test/1680- /2
    It could be faster. ;)

It's difficult to see out the rear windows sometimes, but the again my other car has an entire glass hatch.
  • daveydodgedaveydodge Member Posts: 23
    I have owned a 1985 Daytona, a 1989 Daytona, a 1993 Dakota, a 1998 Dakota, a 2003 Dakota, and soon a 2007 Caliber. Am I progressing or digressing ?? Spending $350 a month for gas and the house is done...not much need for the truck..the Caliber looks fun and tough plus MPG's is a major draw with ample space. Hope I won't regret this purchase....I am 5 for 5 in my previous vehicle buys....Keep it rolling Dodge !!
    I won the Caliber Photo contest and I am getting a free IPod out of it. Now how does the Ipod/MP3 player thing work with the radio? I don't see any kind of jack or outlet for it? I am being dense?

Oh, and the car is averaging 29.5 miles per gallon now that we driven it a bit.
    The base radio/cd player has an input on the lower left. After plugging in the mp3 player you press the mode button on the radio so that it shows "AUX" and your ready to go. I did read a post or two a while back that said some of the upgraded in-dash 6-cd changers did not have the aux jack on them... If you don't have it, check with your dealer if you are supposed to ... perhaps the wrong radio was supplied or installed.

BTW, I saw the picture of your Caliber - it was okay, but I could not get a large enough image to see the effects, if any.
This discussion has been closed.