Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caliber

Comments

• moparfancanadamoparfancanada Member Posts: 18
    Well, 13 weeks down and I'm sure many more to wait for my R/T. Contacted the dealer again, and still nothing concrete to pass on. I've been waiting now 13 weeks. The dealer says that the computer shows the status of my order is D1. Whatever the heck that means. Its been D1 for weeks.
    Anybody else getting ticked off with Chrysler? I can't really blame the dealer, but who else can I get a hold of.
    Next time, I'm buying off the lot.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    It was free because the picture in the brochere showed it chrome. My dealer didn't know any better that it was a Sport and shouldn't have the grille.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Here ya go dude!

ORDER STATUS CODES
    BB - review by fleet department
    BD - special equipment processing
    BE - edit error
    BG - passed edit n/a for schedule
    BGL - edit ok parts unavailable
    BX - passed edit available for schedule
    C - sub firm
    D - firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available
    D - 1 gateline schedule - scheduled to be built
    E - frame
    F - paint
    G - trim
    I - built not ok'd
    J - built ok'd
    JB - shipped to body vendor
    JE - emission check
    JS - shipped to storage
    KZ - released by plant , invoiced
    KZL - released - not shipped
    KZM - first rail departure
    KZN - first rail arrival
    KZO - delayed/recieved
    KZOA - plant holds
    KZOB - zone/distribution holds
    KZOC - carrier delays
    KZOD - carrier holds
    KZOE - mis-shipped vehicle
    KZOF - show/test vehicle
    KZOG - damaged vehicle
    KZOH - all other reasons
    KZT - second rail departure
    KZU - second rail arrival
    KZX - delivered to dealer
    ZA - canceled
  • grendel_cavegrendel_cave Member Posts: 27
    If you really want your RT now, contact Hall Dodge in Virginia Beach, VA. They were telling me yesterday that you can actually wiggle out of waiting for an ordered vehicle without too much difficulty, seeing as how the dealership will sell the one you ordered anyway. Hall Dodge has an inferno red RT sitting on the lot right now: sun roof with wind deflector, leather interior, sport spoiler, VIN etched on glass, chrome molding all the way around, etc. Its really nice. About the only options it doesn't have is the music gate and U-connect. Depending upon your distance you might be able to get your dealer to trade for it or just buy it from Hall Dodge directly. Hope this helps.
    Hey Chic: Thanks for all those codes. At least my order is in the system.
  • ltdaveltdave Member Posts: 3
    i saw Caliberchic's vanity plate SXTSPRT and thought we sould start a thread on plates...

i just went to the secretary of state (im on the other side of the state from Caliberchic) and ordered MYNSA45 as in "Caliber? Mine's a .45"...

i shoot pistols and rifles competitively so i thought that was appropriate...

whats YOUR plate say?

david
  • dnrmerlindnrmerlin Member Posts: 5
    Got a message from the dealer about the recall. I have two caliber RT's. So I brought the first one in tonight and the second tomorrow. Its a programming issue. They will re install the program with the update to control the engine temperature. No biggie. Both of mine didnt ping, but Im sure the temp thing would have an effect eventually. Having first oil change done too.

2 Calibers are better then one... LOL
    MERLIN
  • maniac36maniac36 Member Posts: 8
    Very good to hear that the dealerships are calling. Did they call you or mail something out? What were the details on the defect? Any ill issues that they said could have happened or known symptoms of this recall at all? Whereabouts are you located.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I moved the the posts about accessories to the Dodge Caliber Accessories and Modifications discussion.
  • dnrmerlindnrmerlin Member Posts: 5
    I am in NJ. It was a note from the Dealership. It is a programing issue. They reprogram the computer system. Without the update there is an issue with temperature control and what the computer says the engines temp should run at, potential for running too hot and overheating. I did not have this problem but they updated it as the vins I have are in the parameters of the cars with problems. I have two RT AWD 2.4's.
  • lhslhs Member Posts: 3
    That is not normal. It sounds like a problem in your charging system voltage regulation or a bad ground. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
  • commprocommpro Member Posts: 13
    I love an Orange SXT Sport, but according to my dealer that is a no go as they don't have the orange inserts etc. He's suggested ordering and SXT and building it with the options a sport would have except the color matched interior, is that really the only option?
  • bigtsrbigtsr Member Posts: 149
    I would say it's time to visit a different dealer,he
    may be trying to sell a car he has in stock.
    Go DODGE.CA use find retailer look for the vehicle you
    want.
    They have just upgraded the sites and now you can look
    at each vehicles factory sticker to check what options
    they actually have on each stock unit in their inventory.
    Good luck
  • guykassguykass Member Posts: 2
    Thank you to everyone who answered, I have an appointment with a different dealer about 20 miles away that Dodge told me to call because they are a 5 Star dealer (instead of the one where I bought it, 2 miles away.) Does anyone know how to get to the district people if I need to? The Dodge 800 number is/was sort of worthless.

Thanks again,

Guy Kass
  • grayseabringgrayseabring Member Posts: 18
    Don't count on a better deal or service from a "five star dealer" from Dodge. ca. The issues I had with a dealer were blown away by Chrysler saying that my issues were the actions of "an independent business enterprise" and they offered no help.

I have seen the Orange SXT with orange inserts at this Chat ham Ontario dealership. They have had 4 or 5.

Buy as if it is from a shady used car dealer. As far as Dodge is concerened....it"s Buyer beware.
    Dodge finally got around to posting the recall document regaurding the emmissions/thermostat problem. Evidently, the recall issue is with reprogramming the computer to annlyze the thermostat correctly. I don't know if this is the culprit behind "Caliber Click" or that pinging that other owners have reported. If you are curious as to what the document entails, use VIN: 7D516465. I tried several vins from the dealership, model search engine at Dodge until I found one that worked.
  • colenebcoleneb Member Posts: 2
    That is a BIG bunch of BULL I test drove an orange one with the inserts
    If anyone else was interested in the potential of a Caliber diesel, here is the dodge website in the UK with the specs, prices, etc. http://www.dodge.co.uk/dodge/page.aspx?ID=843,28,,
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    Yeah, I checked my VIN today at dodge.com and I have an appointment next week to have the new software installed.
    Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention as my dealer did'nt even know about the notice!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Although the reviewer still can't get over the cancellation of the Neon (I had 3 during their model run, so I sympathize!), there is a very perceptive review of the Caliber over at http://www.allpar.com/reviews/2006/caliber.html

The reviewer's main criticism is that an upright, bulky, heavy, chunky, (solid, safe) vehicle like the Caliber can't beat the acceleration and mileage of a swoopy, low slung, (flimsily built as reflected in crash tests) sports-car-styled economy car like the Neon.

Big surprise.

He also complains that the Neon had more people space (the Caliber, imho, has more useful rear seat space - you aren't sitting on the floor) and cargo space (technically correct, but the "pass through" from the trunk to the cabin in the Neon isn't nearly as useful as the min-wagon (hatchback) configuration of the Caliber).

He definitely nailed one point though: the real "competition" for the Caliber in the DC lineup isn't the old Neon, its the current PT which, once you get passed the "fashion statement" is a darned useful wagon, with similar acceleration and gas mileage.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    When will Dr. Z fix the Quality + fit and finish issues?
    Will Chrysler simply run commercials or do something about the recent problems with the new Calibers?

I am going to vote with my walled and stay away from the Dodge showroom. :mad:
    My pleasure....all in the spirit of this community. I am due for my first oil on Aug 14 so I will make sure I tell mine then!

Cheers

Mike
  • jttjtt Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone put a chip in their Caliber to increase horsepower? If so, how's that going so far?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    We have owned the following DC products, and all have been problem free and top notch: 1999 Neon; 2002 Neon; 2004 Neon, 2004 PT Cruiser, 2006 PT Cruiser (current). I test drove a couple of Calibers and did the usual door slamming. Nothing wrong. Solid. Good fits.

No, I am not easy to please. A 2000 Focus was a disaster, and 4 Focii which followed were much better (and all drove great which is why I kept getting them) but all had problems of one kind or another which surfaced during the first 5,000 or so miles, and were promptly fixed under warranty. A 2004 Cavalier from Chevy was rock solid; a 2006 Cobalt delivers excellent mileage but has several niggling problems I think the dealership will be able to fix quickly.

Here's what we know about the Caliber from this newsgroup: the problems that are surfacing only in a few areas . This means the assembly line workers are doing a good job of putting things together, which is terrific for the first few months of a brand new model. There have been no recalls or hints of recalls. Odds are the problems reported here are being fixed now, if they haven't already been, so that new buyers won't have the same "hotspots."

Given the fact that the Caliber is a runaway sales success, I'd say the number of problems reported is very minor. I find the many, and recurring, problems reported on the new Civic (which isn't as "new" as the radically different Caliber) more troubling. (Once again, the problems tend to focus in certain limited areas.) Nowadays the internet magnifies complaints - nothing is "buried" for long.

Consumer Reports research indicates most "new line" cars take one to two years to reduce their defect rate to "normal" for that manufacturer (although Toyota seems to get on track in only a year). Given that the total number of defects across all manufacturers is ridiculously low these days, "first year" problems aren't all that off-putting anymore. But I DO think that a first year buyer should choose a reliable dealer!

(At the same time that cars have gotten a lot better - I am talking over the past 20 years as a frame of reference - the threshold of pain for the average car buyer has gotten MUCH lower, and people "flip" cars almost as quickly as they "flip" new homes - ha ha.)
  • renchbnderrenchbnder Member Posts: 13
    Got my recall in the mail, today Something about temperate and a reflash of computer,, i wait till my next oil change,,,
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    micweb: We have had three Neon's as well We still have our 96 Dodge Neon, with 186,700 miles on the original engine, with the head gasket replaced under warranty. A 2001 ES and a 04 SXT, which was totalled on July 5 with 40,000 miles. In a 35 mph front end crash (hitting someone else in the rear. The car was like a paper box! The front end collapsed as they said it should in crashes. The damage was $8,500. Everything like the air bags went off, the steering column twisted, the engine mounts broke loose, the engine and trans were pushed against the fire wall and started to move down. Nothing from the front seats front ward was even worth salvage. I liked the Neons very much, but this is the first Neon without ABS, never will I get a vehicle without ABS. The Neon was a good car, but NOT in a crash.

Farout
    After nearly 15 weeks, my AWD R/T is finally here. I pick it up tomorrow. :) Its not the one I ordered back in early April. The dealer searched all of eastern Canada and found the identical one I ordered in Montreal. It had every single option I ordered. This one has the MusicGate and the Uconnect system. See you on the 401 :):)
  • ilcaliberblackilcaliberblack Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I ordered my Caliber on June 5 and it's been stuck at D/D1 status but today that code has changed to R. Customer Service won't tell me what that means - any clue?
  • habalanchehabalanche Member Posts: 57
    this was from an earlier post.

ORDER STATUS CODES
    BB - review by fleet department
    BD - special equipment processing
    BE - edit error
    BG - passed edit n/a for schedule
    BGL - edit ok parts unavailable
    BX - passed edit available for schedule
    C - sub firm
    D - firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available
    D - 1 gateline schedule - scheduled to be built
    E - frame
    F - paint
    G - trim
    I - built not ok'd
    J - built ok'd
    JB - shipped to body vendor
    JE - emission check
    JS - shipped to storage
    KZ - released by plant , invoiced
    KZL - released - not shipped
    KZM - first rail departure
    KZN - first rail arrival
    KZO - delayed/recieved
    KZOA - plant holds
    KZOB - zone/distribution holds
    KZOC - carrier delays
    KZOD - carrier holds
    KZOE - mis-shipped vehicle
    KZOF - show/test vehicle
    KZOG - damaged vehicle
    KZOH - all other reasons
    KZT - second rail departure
    KZU - second rail arrival
    KZX - delivered to dealer
    ZA - canceled
  • kentuckyrangerkentuckyranger Member Posts: 41
    Sounds like someone was breaking in and got chased off by a passer by.
    Tepered glass doesn't just break. You can easily break it with a spring punch or a sharp hit with a small object but for the heat of the Sun to cause it to shater, hummmm...
    I know if you put mirrored window film on tepered glass you're asking for trouble unless the glass maker states it's OK.
    I have seen Sun Roofs explode from someone putting mirrored film on the inside of the Glass. :shades:
  • rtinpartinpa Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there had problems with the paint on the Calibers bumper, I can scratch the paint off mine with my finger nail. Dealer said they will fix, just seeing if any other owners had this problem?
    Had the computer flashed at my dealer due to the thermostat issue/recall notice. Took them about 20 minutes to do. I've noticed nothing new or unusual from the way the car has performed so far. I now have 12,400 miles on it. Took it on a 5 hr. trip at 75mph and got an average 27.3mpg I've got the 2.0 w cvt.
    Nope! If I did the dealer would have it back to fix it. I hope all goes well with your paint issue.
    I reside in Vancouver Canada and got the recall notice today. So time to sked an oil change and get the reprogramming done. I have a question regarding the PING noise for everyone. Where do you hear that sound coming from?

When I accelerate, at times there is a ping or clicking type noise that sounds like its on the right side of car from both near the engine and the exhaust system. It sounds to me like a loose clamp or something like that. Just curious if people have more info they can help me with this. When the windows are up and the music is on, I cannot hear it so much....but with the windows down on a quiet street its really noticeable.

No performance issues with it....but it is annoying and should be quiet as a mouse. To me its more of a rattle than a ping.

Thx in advance

Mike
    I don't think anyone knows for certain what the cause of "Caliber Click" is. From reading the posts, it seems there are several theories among caliber owners. And the dealers, for the most part, deny its existence. However, and I think I speak for everyone, I am curious to see if this recall and reflashing of the computer will fix the problem. After you have the recall repairs made, please post to the forum if it solves the pinging/clicking issue or not. Thanks.
    The Caliber click has by most owners definitions
    been the heating/expansion or the cooling/contraction
    of the exhuast system and if you check other Caliber
    forums a good many have had these resolved by dealers
    who replaced the exhaust sytem.
    The pinging or spark knock is due to timing of the engine
    detonations and generally is heard upon acceleration
    more pronounced if up a grade.This according to some
    has been addressed with F29 or thermostat software
    flash upgrade provided by the dealer re DCX service
    bulletin.
  • k3lli3k3lli3 Member Posts: 4
    ok -

So I'm thinking of buying a Calibre (actually I have been thinking and looking at this for some time), Ive even rented one(SXT) to try it out.... and besides the very plasticky interior and limited visibility out the back and larger than preferd blindspot ...... I really liked it.

So ..... do they actually stack up to the hype? Would you buy one again, or would you look else where for a new car?

Help please! Any information would be awesome!!! Thanks!!! :)
    To those of you who also subscribe to consumer reports, the caliber road test has been posted. I used to put a lot of stock into what consumer reports had to say, but after this review I'm beginning to believe they are extremely biased--favoring imports over the American made. After reading through the road test, they ding the caliber on a lot of the same things they pointed out on the toyota matrix. The matrix, however, earns a recommended and the Caliber gets snubbed. I do not currently own a Caliber (as it is on order) but from the ones I have test driven they are extremely quiet: both the cabin and the engine. However, one of the things CR dinged Caliber on was engine noise and wind invasion into the cabin. I'm interested in hearing from people who have read the CR review and own a caliber--as to what they think about it.
  • nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    I agree that CR is biased toward the imports. They seem to have the belief that the imports are better in every way and as such they give them a pass on many small flaws. When testing domestics, however, every flaw is amplified, and the car is portrayed poorly. Also, these flaws are increasingly becoming minor issues such as noises that most cars have.

I do not know why they are this way.

I take care of my vehicles and I've never had major problems with any of them. I expect the same result with the Caliber, and so far that's how it has been.

The only issues I've had on the Caliber are/were the exhaust click and engine pinging. The exhaust click was virtually eliminated by changing the parts, which were apparently assembled too tightly by the supplier. The engine pinging has been a problem, but not as far as driveability is concerned. The F29 recall did not change anything on my car, nor did I have any previous thermostat problems.

Hopefully my dealer can find out what's going on with the engine pinging - it seems worse running the AC, but with the windows up its hard to tell.
  • neely2005neely2005 Member Posts: 70
    I've been waiting for the CR review, hopefully it will be in this months issue. As to them not recomending the Caliber that's not unusual as they rarely recommend New Models until they've had a chance to see how they hold up over time. The Matrix has been around for a few years now so they know what to expect. Also if the Caliber hasn't been crash tested by the IIHS yet (and passed) then CR won't recommend a car on that alone.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    neely2005: I will do a CR report for you. Which way do you want me to slant it? I can say it gets only 12mpg or as high as 38.789mpg. After reading CR's report on the Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) it was very clear that the person doing the report never even drove one, and they had to be in a YUGO when they thought it was a CRD Liberty. I canceled my CR subscription.

Farout
  • neely2005neely2005 Member Posts: 70
    If Consumer Reports is biased then every other forum, website, magazine, newspaper... is much more biased - Consumer Reports is a Non Profit orginization that does Not accept advertising and pays for every product that they test. I'm not sure how much less biased you can be.

In regards to the Liberty CRD's milage, Consumer Reports reported the Real World milage as oppossed to the EPA's BS milage stats.

I hope you had a chance to read this article before you cancelled your subscribtion:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023458

Don't be fooled by the manufacturers / EPA's milage numbers.
  • maryr22maryr22 Member Posts: 7
    Hello-this is my first post. I'm picking up my Dodge Caliber R/T tonight and have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with! by the way, I'm SO excited after reading these posts to get my new Caliber! I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee (an Isuzu Rodeo before that) so this will be a change, but a much anticipated one! Anyway, I have been waiting for this car for over 4 weeks and have had some problems with the dealership re: (mis)communication. As a result, they are going to pay for part of a dealership-installed navus navigation system (the one that is $724 on the Mopar website) My question is - do the dealerships pay MSRP on the Mopar navigation systems? That's what I was told by the sales manager when we were talking about price, and it seemed strange to me so I'm checking on here to see if anyone knows the real deal. ANY help would be greatly appreciated so that I can go into the final paperwork "in the know". Thanks in advance all! By the way, in case anyone wants to know price, I am paying $20,000 for the R/T AWD with leather interior group, heated seats, stereo w/6 CD changer, Musicgate,aluminum chrome wheels, sunroof,engine block heater, tonneau cover. I think that's it (steel blue metallic color)-any thoughts on what I paid? thanks!!
    holy crap!! Considering the RT starts at almost $20,000 you are getting a great deal on that. Where exactly are getting your car from? I might just have to cancel my order and get one from your dealer.
  • maryr22maryr22 Member Posts: 7
    hi grendel cave, I live in Massachusetts and bought my Caliber R/T at Ira Dodge in Medford, MA. Overall, the experience was very good except for the last few days where the communication dropped off. Part of the reason I got such a great deal was that the car had a few hundred miles on it before I bought it. A woman bought the car brand new, fully loaded, and returned it TWO days later because she had had her heart set on a Charger. So technically it was a used car, but with only 200 miles on it! took quite a while to get the title from the registry. yes, I did the TMV thing here on edmunds.com and the invoice for the R/T with above options came to over 21,000, and the TMV was 23,079, so I think I'm getting a good deal. Best of luck to you!! and thanks for the feedback.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    As you may have noticed, new discussions are popping up all over the forums. We're trying to move away from the huge, everything in one big pile type of discussions towards smaller, more focused discussions.

So here in the Dodge Caliber Group, you'll notice new discussions like:

New Caliber Owners - Give Us Your Report!
    Dodge Caliber Test Drive - What Did You Think?
    Dodge Caliber Safety & Crash Test Results
    Caliber Audio/Entertainment Questions
    Dodge Caliber: Care & Maintenance
    Dodge Caliber: MPG-Real World Numbers
    Caliber Accessories & Modifications

I'm still in the process of moving posts from this main dicussion to new homes, so this is a work in progress. ;)

Please be sure to check the discussion list for the appropriate discussion before you post. If you have an issue or problem with the Caliber that doesn't appear to have a home, feel free to start up a discussion or contact me with the suggestion and we can get one going. The idea is to make it easier for folks to find information without having to wade through thousands of posts in a huge discussion.

I'm sure thre will be a bit of learning new habits for all of us, but I appreciate your help and understanding as the furniture gets moved around a bit!
    I just went over 13K miles on my Caliber...would I buy one again? Yes...if it got better gas mileage. I knew going in that it would only get under 30 mpg at best. The thing that caught my eye when looking for a new car was the styling, the caliber had it. It drives like a mini SUV and has the versatility to haul things ( I've had a full mower deck and lumber in 8' sections hauled in mine). The only thing that I don't like is hard armrests and center console.
    You think DCX could've put some padding in those areas. The coin tray and cup holder area is difficult as far as reaching change or grabbing a smaller drink/bottle. Although these minor things bug me a little I still love the car. You won't find another car with ABS, front/knee/side airbags in this price range. The CVT w 2.0 is very smooth also, I love how fast it takes off and won't stop until u reach your speed. Anyway...u need to decide what best suits your needs and go from there but that's my opinion. Good car hunting! :shades:
  • polarbearsx4polarbearsx4 Member Posts: 1
    Twice now my Caliber would not shift out if park. Dispite pressing the brake pedal, starting and turning off repeatedly, moving the steering wheel back and forth I can not get the car into reverse, drive or any gear at all. Both times by the next day it works again. The dealer can't do a thing without getting it in while it has the problem. I called to have it towed but they sent a regular tow truck, not a flat bed, and could not move it if they can't get it into neutral. They tried to drive it as well and had the same problem.
    Anyone else having this problem?
    I have seen this complaint once before on one of the
    Caliber forums,however it turned out(I believe) that
    the car was being parked on a hill and the weight of
    the car was binding the parking pawl.
    It was suggested that before you put it in park that
    it should be 1.-put in neutral,2.-set the hand brake
    and then placed in park.
    Good luck!
  • nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    I had a Saturn that did this a few years ago. It turned out that the switch above the brake pedal was not installed properly in its holder. All automatics have a brake/park interlock so if teh car thinks the brakes are not applied, it will not let you shift out of park. This switch, or its exact position in relation to the brake pedal, is the comon point of problems with this system.

However, I while trying to figure everything out, I was always able to "fool" the system and drive the car anyway...

First look under the dash and you should be able to find the switch in question fairly easily. It should be activated when the brake pedal is depressed. Also of note, if your brake lights don't come on when you press the pedal, this switch is definitely a problem. It might take two people to check for this. If the switch looks loose in its mount, you can often re-install it by twisting it and taking out and putting it back in with no tools.

Now to defeat the problem: Put the key in and turn it to the the position that unlocks the steering wheel. This should allow you to shift into Neutral. In neutral, you can start the car and then shift to D or R...

Sounds like your switch is loose to me, because that's how mine was when it was an intermittent problem. No parts were required to fix it - just intelligence......... :P
This discussion has been closed.