Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caliber

Comments

• silvercalibersilvercaliber Member Posts: 30
    Help!!! I'm waiting for an answer to the same question as I ordered a 1.8 5-speed some time ago and have yet to hear anything. Thank you.
  • orangertorangert Member Posts: 41
    Your totally correct here!!! That car in my are is worth $50 bucks on trade maybe 100!!! No offense. I can buy used Neons 99 and down for 1500 or under with under 100,000 miles.

Please take all of your extras off the car when trading it in, they don't help - nor do they care. That car will be "thrown" in the back lot for some used car lot guy to snatch up to resell.
  • katiescaliberkatiescaliber Member Posts: 45
    You can go to kbb.com to get an estimate of what your Neon is worth. I really don't think it is worth near $3500, no offense.
  • pacermanpacerman Member Posts: 62
    but....but.....but....its an ACR!!!! :cry: 98-2000 4 dr neons are going for 4-$6000 on the lots here.........but went and drove another caliber today and trade-in would be about $1200 :( .........its such a fun car to drive, maybe I'll just keep it. The SXT was inferno red 2.0,I did notice a little bit of "jerkiness" in the transmission, that I didn't notice in the first one I drove,and we really had to slam the rear hatch to get it to latch properly. Dealer has 2 RT's coming in within a month and has a total of 17 Calibers on order........thanx to all for the replies.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    It's Canadian dollars and kilometers. So, $3000 and 120k miles. Still high estmate obviously by the one offer you have, but not as unreasonable as you all make it out to be.

Aftermarket products rarely add value. OEM is usually better for trade.

The prices you see listed on used car lots are rarely what they sell for. Therefore, the trade offer will be significantly lower than that.

If there is nothing wrong with the car, I would keep it. Drive it until it dies, then dotnate it.
  • wcottwcott Member Posts: 35
    Let me fill you in on the world of car selling. The dealer makes approximately 2-10 percent profit on a new "ordinary" car. That percentage goes up with the popularity of a vehicle, etc. They make scads of money on SUV's, where the average profit per unit can run 5-7 thousand dollars.
    The REALLY profitable side of the car business is used cars. They offered my friend 3000 dollars for a 2001 F-150 pickup truck in mint shape. A similar truck sits on their lot with a sticker price of over 11 grand. THAT'S 8 grand in profit just by moving ONE used vehicle!! You do the math.
    What they give you on a trade-in bears little or no resemblance to what the price is when that vehicle ends up on their used car lot.
    Has anyone used DCX's "Friends and Family" discount?? Is that like "1% over discount"??
  • m1310m1310 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Caliber in the near future but I have a question about CVT. Could someone please explain the whole concept of CVT and potentially discuss pros/cons? Is it actually an automatic transmission or is it treated more like a manual where shifting of gears is required?

Thanks, in advance, for your answers.
  • wcottwcott Member Posts: 35
    Without getting OVERLY techical....a "conventional" automatic transmission has specific mechanical gears that the car uses when driving. You can feel them engaging upwards as you accelerate...or when you go up a steep hill, your transmission will usually drop down a gear to find the optimum gear ratio to keep up your speed.
    A continuously variable transmission (CVT) uses a belt (or chain) that connects two pulleys to provide an unlimited number of ratio changes and uninterrupted power to the wheels. So it's ALWAYS in the most efficient power setting, relative to your speed.
    They are supposed to offer better fuel efficiency than conventional automatic transmissions.
  • katiescaliberkatiescaliber Member Posts: 45
    Yes I was offered the Friends and Family Discount. Which is 1% below invoice. I don't know anyone who works for DCX nor did I ask for this discount. They offered it to me when I asked about their college grad discount since they didn't offer it anymore...
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Member Posts: 47
    "Bonus cash offered on eligible vehicles must be financed or leased through Chrysler Financial." :cry:
    That's what the Caliber web site says....has anyone actually got the $500 when they bought one?
    OrangeRT here!

Yes I got the 500 rebate plus 500 dealer participation plus some other money off to get me at 19500 plus tax and title fees only.

The model -- Caliber R/T with extra cost Sunburst Orange, with extra cost Sunroof. It stickered at just under 21,000. I could have got more off, but we thought it was a great deal and it came off the truck and we bought it. The first in our area over 30 days ago to have an R/T !!!!
  • nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    Overall very happy with my new Caliber. A few days after I got it I noticed an odd rattle when driving on the highway into strong winds. Since then it has recurred and the car has also began making a loud tick as the exhaust cools when you turn it off in the driveway or garage - sometimes noticeable at a red light too. To me it sounds like the aluminum heat shield has come loose at the bottom of the firewall. Sound reasonable? Has anyone else had this problem?
    Hi nonnemacher OrangeRT here!

No rattle at freeway speeds but YES, OH YES I hear lots of loud ticks in the garage when I am working after my wife pulls in. Thought it to be normal cool down ticks, but mayber a little louder than normal. It is a new car with not that many miles on it though.
    When it first started it was on the highway, driving 70 mph into about a 40 or 50 mph headwind...maybe something got blown loose... it didn't tick loudly or rattle before that. By the way, we do get a ton of wind in my area - our town has recently put up windmills to make electric and they are getting more production than they had anticipated.
    If you post message #666, something bad might happen to you... Where's the host when needed??? LOL
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Nah... that post number stuff is just an urban myth :P

Of course, who knows WHAT will happen when we get to 666 Caliber owners in CarSpace!!
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    ...on post 666.

Hmmm...nothing happened. Oh well, back to the Caliber.

For those of you with an R/T, do you feel that the AWD helps the Caliber in the handling department? I like the larger engine that comes in the R/T, but am not sure if the extra weight of the AWD system is worth it. Hoping that Dodge releases a FWD R/T soon.
  • clockmakerclockmaker Member Posts: 9
    If you drive like I do buy the AWD system. I haven't been able to get the tires to chirp in a turn yet. I'm not suicidal, but I have pushed it harder than any other car I've ever driven. You can only tell the car has extra weight when taking off from a dead stop. Once you get going I think you'll find that the R/T has plenty of power, especially when you use the autostick. In my climate I have to drive in all kinds of different weather conditions from -5 to 108 degrees (F), and there can be tremendous wind, rain, hail, ice, and snow. I make many house calls in my business, and I never know what kind of roads I'll be on, so I bought the R/T specifically because it was AWD.
    Does anyone have the leather seats? None of the Calibers I have looked at have them. It appears that they are only putting them in the AWD at present.
  • bennettclbennettcl Member Posts: 6
    Hey Everyone, I am going to be graduating college in a month and looking for a new car. The Caliber right now is at the top of my list. I just had a question on how comfortable this car is to drive. As far as head room and leg room for the driver. I don't usually have many passengers, so only really worried bout my own comfort. I am only 6' tall, but tall enough that most cars are a little to small for me to be comfortable while I drive. I was just wondering if anyone else who is the same height as me or taller, has had any problems being comfortable while driving the Caliber. I am definitely liking this car. It looks a LOT more stylish than the Vibe and Matrix. The Caliber looks a lil more something like a guy could drive. The vibe and matrix are a little to girly. Anyways, if your taller than 6' and have a Caliber, please let me know how comfortable the Caliber is to drive. Thanks.
  • trgbassguytrgbassguy Member Posts: 21
    I test drove an SXT about 3 weeks ago. It had leather heated seats. Not AWD...you just have to find the right one. ;)
  • imperial2imperial2 Member Posts: 1
    New kid on the block-I have read many of the previous postings about "Who would buy this car?" I became interested in it when I spotted it on dodge.com (I'm mid-50's, middle class, married-no kids). Since then I have been hounding the local dealer. They have received only 4 cars (one at a time) and have sold 3 immediately. The fourth one just arrived and every time I try to test drive it, someone else already is. I believe it is going to appeal to a lot of folks across markets. I currently own a 2001 Stratus 2.7 (which I have enjoyed very much, thank you). Before that a 1995 (1994) Neon which I loved and a 2000 Neon which I positively hated. I would like to hear from anyone owning an R/T with CVT and AWD which is what I plan to order.
  • trav3491trav3491 Member Posts: 11
    i am 6 1 i have no headroom trouble but getting in and out i ussualy hit the door gaurd and mark it up
    I decided that my Steel Blue SXT would look much better with a black antenna since all of the other trim on that part of the car is black. Of course, parts are not yet available... but I checked and it is the standard Chrysler mast antenna, the same length as on our 2002 Caravan. You also need to buy a black "shroud" to complete the look. This piece of black plastic hides the chrome locknut that still shows after putting on the mast. Both parts came to $22 including tax at my local Dodge parts dept. I put a drop of silicone sealant on the underside of the shroud to help hold it down, but that was probably unnecessary. The black antenna appears to be coated with some sort of plastic or rubber, so you need to be careful when using the wrench to install it, so that you do not crack the coating. LOOKS GREAT NOW. ;) Maybe the black antenna is standard on the SXT Sport models, I do not know.

While at the dealer they took a look at my wipers, which work great but appeared to rest a bit high on the windshield. There are black "sideways T" marks on the windshield where the wipers are supposed to rest when not in use. Minor adjustment. :)

They also said that several Caliber owners have asked about the sometimes loud tapping or ticking when the exhaust is cooling down. At this point DCX is saying that this is normal operation. Sometimes, I can hear this tapping when at red lights, too, so I'll turn up the radio for the time being. :surprise:

So far so good... :)
    I finally saw a caliber in person. The dealer here in my town finally got one in. I was happy to finally see one, I have been looking at the caliber for the last month and have been very interested. Now after finally seeing one in person it is still the car I want. Still need to test drive one, but for under 20k, and avg 27-28 mpg, and is versatile and stylish and easy to get around in. This is the car for me. It is so much more stylish than the matrix and vibe. Those two cars can't lay a finger on the caliber, in the style category anyways. And being a male those two are a lil too girly, but the caliber with its beefy grill is anything but cute. Just like the commercials say. I like it and can't wait to get in one. I am planning on custom ordering a SXT, silver, with slate gray interior, with the pimped out 9 speaker stereo, fog lights, 17" aluminum wheels. i really like the fold down speakers, they'll be perfect for tailgating.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the car if you special order one? Also if there are any extra fees or anything for having it customized?
    I noticed in your profile that you are in the midwest. With these cars coming out of Illinois, it should not take that long, especially if you want a 2.0 liter SXT with the CVT, which is the most common drivetrain. Also the options you mentioned are common as well.
    You might want to re-consider ordering alloy wheels, though. In my opinion, they don't look that much better than the steel wheels with the covers on the SXT and they are much more expensive to replace if you hit curb or something like that. The SXT, however, does NOT have cruise as standard, and I'm sure this is something you would also want.

Personally, I did not care for the silver, because of all the black trim around the roof and the big silver wheels. That said, the grey interior is a must. The tan interior still gets the silver console, white gauges, chrome shifter, and black-face radio. To me this looks really mis-matched. Both Silver and Steel Blue are available only with the grey interior, and I think maybe White too...

A SXT CVT with fogs, cruise, and Musicgate has a total MSRP of $17,820 - I think. The wheels would be about $450 on top of that. The cruise is $250, fogs $85, and the super deal is the $400 for the upgraded stereo package. You probably could not buy speakers for that price.

Sometimes a dealer can modify the orders they have already placed within certain limits. This way, you can get what you want without starting over from "square zero."

I'd call your local Dodge dealer first thing Monday morning and see what they have on order already and go from there.

If they know you are a serious buyer, they may get the car for you sooner than you might think possible, and you can get a good deal too. I suggested MSRP-$1000-rebate to others, and I still think those numbers are "fair" for the Caliber.

Your certainty about the car will get you a good deal. What dealer wouldn't love to order a car, knowing it was already sold? All he has to do is 1) call you when its in, 2) prep it for delivery, 3) and take your money. I'm thinking he'll do alot to get to step three as quickly as possible.
    are the steel wheel covers you mentioned really what we know as hubcabs or are they actual wheels. I like that they are cheaper to replace and everything. But I would pay $400 more to not have hubcaps. So are those covers, hubcaps or actual solid steel wheels? Thanks nonnemacher, i've read a lot of postings and it seems you have provided the most useful information for anyone. I especially like the one about installing a black antenna instead of the regular metal one. A black antenna would look lot better. Thanks
    anyone know what the insurance runs per 6 months for one of these babies? I am a 22 yr old male, but I would probably have it listed under my dad's name until i'm 25. I was just wondering what basic insurance costs has been running people on these. They seem like they have some really good saftey features. If your okay with saying please let me know. Thanks
    1. The steel wheels do have plastic covers - but I think they look real good for plastic...

2. I traded a 2004 Saturn Ion for my Caliber SXT and the insurance cost was almost identical. I guess the added safety features offset the increase in the value of the car. With the CVT you get 4 wheel-ABS included and all Calibers have the head curatin airbags, as well as the new generation front bags.

I'm older, married and live in Ohio, which generally has reasonable auto insurance rates. My insurance company does a monthly draw from my checking account, which is really quite convenient. You may not be able to do this being on you father's policy - I don't know.

That said, I'm paying $43 per month for full coverage on my new Caliber, which includes $300K liability and a $500 deduct on collision and comprehensive. We also have a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport (with ABS and front bags) and the exact same coverage. The minivan costs us $36 per month to insure, so the Caliber seems reasonable to me - its five years newer, more fun to drive, and only $7 per month more.
    If any younger drivers out there are amazed at the numbers I just posted, I can console you with this... You can buy life insurance a lot cheaper than I can... Age has its advantages, but so does youth. ;)
    It will be a month before I order my caliber. I graduate college May 19th. So it is going to be my graduation present for myself. My parents told me to get a cheaper car, but like I told my mom I need a reason to work. I also am currently driving a '98 Explorer V8. Talk about a bad investment, getting an avg of 14 mpg. The difference in gas mileage alone will be saving me $100 bucks a month atleast. I also could not afford to leave town with the explorer, with the Caliber road trips will be a little more enjoyable. I can't stand cars and can't afford the gas mileage of a full-size SUV, so the Caliber is exactly what I need. I hope to test drive one soon, and maybe I can talk a dealer into some sort of student discount or something like that. I also have a job lined up at a bank, so I will wait til I start that job to order my Caliber. See if I can't get an attractive finance option through them. Thanks for the info macher.
    haha, that is funny macher. Those damn insurance companies always figure out how to get theirs. Sure we'll give you cheap car insurance, but we'll get ya with higher health and life. Maybe I should go into insurance, if only I was a better salesman. Although I know no poor insurance agents, so I think I could learn to sell. lata
    I too live in Ohio like nonnemacher. I just sold the 2002 Town & Country basically same as his 02 Caravan. We are about the same age for insurance 40(ish).

1. We have $1000 deduct. No points. No tickets.

2. We have a bit higher limits.

3. We paid $221 for the T&C for 6 months, now paying $226 for the R/T for six months! $5 dollar difference.

4. The payments only went up $12 per month.

5. The gas mileage went from 20.2 to right now 26.6 avg.

6. I am happy we are saving a couple of bucks a year.

7. Estimated fuel use for 15,000 miles per year

02 T&C 15000 / 20.2avg =742 x 2.75 per gal = $2040
    07 Caliber 15000 / 26.6avg =564 x 2.75 per gal = $1551

2040-1551=489 5 x 12=60 (diff ins per year)

489-60= $ 429. in savings. So I save two car pmts per year!!!! I hope mileage goes to 28 avg save another $80

Please note these are REAL mileage figures, I use recpts and verify with several different fillups to be sure!!

Just to remind We have the larger motor 2.4 R/T, SXT will be better on gas!
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    My dh and I are 27 and our monthly cost is apx $100 per month, we do have about 5 points on our record combined but other than that a good insurance score.

We are saving $32 per month from what we pay now for our Mustang GT so the rate doesn't seem bad but would love to have a rate half that price!
    My husband is 6'4" and didn't have a comfort problem when test driving the Caliber. The seats are adjustable up and down, he just put them on the lowest setting.
    We ordered the 1.8 5 speed 3 weeks and 2 days ago, can you tell I am counting the days?! And it was assigned a VIN number earlier this week which means it's in production. We expect to receive it with 4 weeks tops. I'll report back though.
    I was told 6-8 weeks for delivery, no extra charges. It has been 3 1/2 weeks and our car is now in production, we expect it to be no more than 4 more weeks.
  • 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    Your right about saving money of fuel but how much capability did you sacrifice from the TC to the Caliber. I was reading several reviews on the Caliber and it seems the suggestions to improve it was to add a V6, widen the cargo area, and reposition the cup holders. What do you say on the topic of likes/dislikes about your car.

Be sure to read: Dodge Neon vs Dodge Caliber
    79CustomD
    Please let the rest of us know is the 1.8 performs well. I am contemplating adding another Caliber to our stable for gas mileage purposes. My 02 neon gets 35ish.

I will probably get the SRT in a year or so when it comes out, but I may stay with the mileage car.
    I originally thought I would buy that combo, but ended up getting the 2.0 CVT. Several reasons... 1) only 2 MPG better estimates for 1.8/5speed 2) 5 speed not available 3) my wife likes automatics better 4) The 1.8 engine does not have balance shafts, ...

I'd also like to know about the performance and economy of the 1.8 5 speed. If its as nice to drive as the 2.0 CVT and gets 35 MPG, I'd also consider downsizing to another Caliber and letting my wife drive the one I have now, but I don't see that as likely.

PS: Our 2002 Grand Caravan Sport just turned 29,000 miles the other day. She really drives it hard, LOL
    I would NOT want the Caliber to be any different, especially not bigger!!! Let the Compass have that glory. I got rid of a Van to NOT have a van! We know what we did in space comprising! I also drive a Neon and know the siz limits in those.

Why would they add a V6 to this thing? Lets go right back into no mileage land! Why not put one in the PT then!
  • moonhunt18moonhunt18 Member Posts: 33
    in a couple of hours i am going to go check out the following caliber.
    my price with discount is $18850 (+ dmv of about $220)

what do you all think? is this an ok deal. it includes 7 year 100k ml warranty with raod side assist at no charge.
    thanks for input!

2007 MODEL YEAR
    CALIBER SXT SPORT
    Base Price: $ 15,425
    DODGE CALIBER SXT
    Exterior Color: Sunburst Orange Pearl Coat Paint
    Interior Color: Light Slate Gray
    Interior: Cloth Seats with Color-Keyed Insert
    Engine: 2.0L 4-Cyl DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine
    Transmission: Continuously Variable Transaxle II
    STANDARD EQUIPMENT(UNLESS REPLACED BY OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT)
    FUNCTIONAL / SAFETY FEATURES
    Front Advanced Multistage Air Bags**
    Front and Rear Supplemental Side Curtain Air Bags**
    Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
    Solar-Control Glass
    Rear Window Defroster
    Rearview Day/Night Mirror
    Sentry Key(R) Theft Deterrent System
    Keyless Entry
    Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
    Sliding Sun Visors with Mirrors
    Power Accessory Delay
    Rear Window Wiper/Washer
    Power Mirrors
    Speed-Sensitive Power Locks
    Power Windows with Driver's One-Touch-Down Feature
    Passenger Assist Handles
    Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    Touring Suspension
    12-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet
    Auxiliary 115-Volt Power Outlet
    Illuminated Entry
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    Air Conditioning with Chill Zone(TM) Storage
    Illuminated Cupholders
    Tilt Steering Column
    AM/FM/CD, Chgr Ctrl, Aux Input Jack
    4 Speakers
    Sliding Armrest with Cell Phone/MP3 Holder
    Flexible Seating Group
    Driver's Seat with Height Adjuster
    Rear Fold-Flat-Forward Seat
    Rear 60/40 Split Recline Seat
    Fold Flat - Load Floor
    Interior Removable/Rechargeable Lamp
    Satin Silver Shifter Bezel
    Satin Silver Instrument Panel Bezel
    Front and Rear Floor Mats
    EXTERIOR FEATURES
    Liftgate Door with Fixed Glass

PRICE INFORMATION (contd.)
    Halogen Headlamps
    17" x 6.5" Steel Wheels
    P215/60R17 BSW All Season Touring Tires

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
    Sunburst Orange Pearl Coat Paint $ 150
    Sunburst Orange Seat Insert
    Customer Preferred Package 24E $ 645
    Sport Appearance Interior Group
    Color-Keyed Instrument Panel Bezel
    Cloth Seats with Color-Keyed Insert
    Color-Keyed PRNDL Bezel
    Fog Lamps
    17" x 6.5" Aluminum Wheels
    Driver Convenience Group $ 400
    Tire Pressure Monitoring Display
    Temperature and Compass Gauge
    Automatic-Dimming Rearview Mirror
    Universal Garage Door Opener
    Heated Front Seats $ 250
    Continuously Variable Transaxle II $ 1,000
    Anti-Lock Front Disc/Rr Drum Brakes
    2.0L 4-Cyl DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine $ 100
    Power Sunroof $ 750
    Speed Control $ 250
    AM/FM Radio with Cass/CD/6-Disc/MP3 $ 420

DESTINATION CHARGE $ 560
    TOTAL PRICE:* $ 19,950
    my price with discount is $18850 (+ dmv of about $220)
    That's pretty much the car we are getting minus the heated seats and the price is the apx the same. How did you manage a 7 year warranty though?! The standard warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles.
    I think they are buying the extended warranty package. The price we paid on our R/T was 19500. I have seen some SXT cars go for more than an R/T, whats up with that? We got Sunroof and Orange paint too!
  • lester4lester4 Member Posts: 3
    I'm 6' and have driven a Caliber for quite awhile and find the headroom to be more than adequate. The seat height is very adjustable. I find them more comfortable to drive than a Neon and feels more like a mid-sized car. Overall, great car.
  • moonhunt18moonhunt18 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the thoughts! i like knowing that i'm not getting taken.

i ended up getting the aforementioned caliber! the dealer in this area (well, one of the 3) offers the old Dodge 7 yr/100k warranty free.

I did end up getting the "Platinum Plan" warranty that covers EVERYTHING for about $1600, much less than the usual $2200, because the dealer already warrantys the basics so well.
    I also opted for the Xzilon interior and exterior coating that guarantees paint and carpet/vinyl/leather for 5 years. This includes a 1 day rental/replacement vehicle.

all said and done, it came out to $21000, everything inclusive....

and of course it's beautiful!
    anyone who's considering test driving this car..GO FOR IT! :D
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    if you are getting 35 mpg with your neon, better stick with it. we are getting quite a few customers asking if something is wrong with their caliber because of poor fuel economy. its heavier, considerably, than the neon was, and not too aerodynamic.

we sell chrysler/toyota. if they are hardcore about mileage ill steer them toward a corolla or , if they want more cargo carrying capability, the matrix. the caliber will make its name with its style and cargo room, but not with fuel efficiency. the pt cruiser suffers from the same shortcoming, thought the calibers numbers would almost have to be better than that car.
    Now those are some great pictures of the Sunburst Orange! Did anyone else notice that 9 times out of 10 the Orange Caliber is the one shown in pictures?
This discussion has been closed.