Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm glad you like your R500. I have yet to see any on the road and I live in Benz country. Dealer here seems to have had the same 10 R's for weeks now. After looking at a lot of them in different colors I think it looks best in Alabaster or Pewter, even more so with the AMG package. I actually like the R-Class but it doesn't seem to be a hit like other Mercedes introductions.

M
  • chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    Anybody else get the Harris email poll yesterday on the R-class from your MB dealer? I went to the site and participated in the poll. Lot's of questions regarding the seating layout, roominess, LOOKS and comparisons to other vehicles(that is to say they wanted you to directly compare it to other cars,vans,suvs,etc. and how you would USE the R-class).
    Basically, I concluded that they were trying to figure out if you thought this is a kid hauler or adult hauler. They even had seating layouts with a second row bench and were looking for personal preferences.

Not sure what this is all about, but IMO sounds like they are trying to get a handle on this creation and if it is indeed satisfying the faction of the market they were intending it for.
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I got one and was glad to see that MB is asking and listening. What a concept. The survey was a good one, and touched on key issues that have been discussed here.

Clearly they are not selling, as was further evidenced by an offer I got today from a local dealer willing to sell one at $500 over invoice, even built to spec (and including any incentives in place at time of delivery.)
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I got the Harris poll, also, and responded. It looks to me like MB is wondering about whether they should offer a 3 passenger 2nd row seat. I think they definitely should. Cutting the price about $10,000 wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    For me, the issue with the R is not about 6 vs. 7 seating (I think adding capacity in the rear would make it another uncomfortable 7 passenger vehicle.) I think that MB got the pricing/content equation totally wrong. How they think the market will accept a $50-plus "luxury" vehicle without standard luxuries such as memory seats, dimming mirrors and other content standard in MB's at that price point is beyond me. At the very least they should be offering the Comfort package as part of standard equipment. But I guess they are at least listening.
  • djagdjag Member Posts: 39
    I agree that it will have to be loaded with all the extras to compete with the Pacifica Limited which comes with all the extras including BlueTooth, Sirius, memory seats, all heated seats, etc. That is the vehicle that should come stripped of the extras. I priced a Limited with a window price of $41.5 at $35. It is totally loaded. I was considering the R but now think it is too expensive.
  • mejomejo Member Posts: 2
    We are trying to decide if we want to buy the R Class. We love the space inside, but will the car be around to trade in in 3-4 years? I have a 2002 ML 320 now and had a lot of problems with it. The dealer said he would help with the price of a new car to keep us and he has worked very hard, but I still have hesitations. The one they would love to sell is the Saks Fifth Avenue listed at $64,000. It has everything I want but the power lift gate and the dealer said he would make a better deal since it is on the lot. How much room in the price are the dealers giving on these cars? Don't you think that the same deal would be there if I waited for the right one to come in? We were going with the BMW 5 Series wagon until we drove the R-Class. The room in the R-Class is unbelievable. My husband is over 6 feet and he fits comfortably in the third row! My eyes say it is pretty, but my brain is holding me back. My employees say it looks like a pimp car. :confuse:
    Pimp Car? First time I heard that. You ask a lot of key questions and if reliability is an important one for you it will take some time to sort that one out with the new R. My '02 was also problem prone and I'm not so keen on Mercedes quality any more. In negotiating the price on these now, I would start at $500 over invoice(whether on the lot or ordered). Quite frankly, I would not pay any more than that at this point with the poor sales and cars piling up on the lots. That is my opinion of course and if you want to pay more to your dealer please do!

Go with your gut instinct. The 5 series wagon and the R-class are supposed to be world's apart. Buy what motivates you and will service your needs. Best of luck in your decision. For what it's worth, I'm 6'-3" and fit nicely in the last row of my wife's Sienna... :surprise:
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    I also got one. My take on the poll is Mercedes is desperately trying to figure out what went wrong. This vehicle is just not moving anywhere close to the rates MB has assumed.

I agree with Albell that in this case, it is not 6 Vs 7 seats etc.. but the whole value concept / intended buyers is a disconnect. This vehicle should move to better price point with the expected amenities expected in a "touring" vehicle. $ 60K for "family" vehicle with V6 is just not a hot selling proposition. Both, standard content & price have to move to better equilibrium. I priced out R 500 and concluded that I rather put in a bit more and buy the S class .. Hell with the extra seatings that I may need sometime and will keep my E wagon for that.
    I am going for an extensive test drive tomorrow. Even at $500 over invoice, my going-in position is that I will probably order but wait for some sort of incentive, since even modestly equippped the car is 53-55k at that asking price.

I would also take the relative light traffic and modest enthusiasm on this and other forums as an indication that the R's introduction has suffered the same fate as it's Pacifica cousin. The Pacifica startng moving only once the value equation was fixed.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    If the market for the R-class is soft now, I presume it will be even softer once the Audi Q7 comes out. The Q7 looks like a more desirable vehicle in many respects, but I think they'll both be fighting over a pretty small market.
  • pai7pai7 Member Posts: 35
    I might consider an R-Class in 2007 if it is offered with a 3 passenger 2nd row seat.I also think that the vehicle is presently over priced by $10000 and sunroof plus power liftgate should be standard.I am interested with the experience of the new deisel in both M-Class and R-Class( Short Wheel Base) owners in Europe.
    The Q7 is essentially a Toureg with a 3rd row. A little longer perhaps, but it is still an SUV. It's built off the Toureg/Cayenne platform. And Audi's reliability hasn't been all that good lately, either.

I think MB will figure it out...the market obviously changed and they made some marketing and content errors, but the R is still an excellent vehicle.
    I think they'll sort out the pricing/options mess for 2007. It would be nice if they offered a R450 for less than the R500 and the R500's replacement - the R550 should be slightly more than the current R500. A V6 R350 isn't a mistake, but there seems to be one to many options you have to add to make the R "right".

The dealer here seems to have the same 6-7 R's on the lot for a couple of weeks now while the Cs, Es, and S-Classes move. They even have a R500 with the AMG sports package in White. Very dynamic looking imo. The price of this loaded R500? About 70K!

I think there might be three things holding the R back, styling, price and just a general downturn in SUV/Wagon type thingies right now. Not sure about the latter, but I can definitely see where the former 2 are reason to give some buyers pause. The Saks edition looks good in Pewter with its 19 inch wheels. The R needs larger, better looking standard wheels, ditto for the M-Class.

With a few changes like these and that diesel and no price increase for next year's new V8 (yeah right) the R would be ready to sell, IMO.

M
    Well, I did it. I will be taking delivery of an in-production R350 (Pewter/Black) right around Xmas. Scheduled to be produced on 11/29;they traded with another local dealer. Paying $500 over invoice, and got a good trade, in part because I didn't order, I think. The salesman worked quite hard to find one close to what I wanted. Will have premium, comfort, lighting, heating, 2nd row console, side airbags and 18" wheels. Could have done without the nav and wheels, but the wider tires will be good for this vehicle and I think they look ok. And my 8 year old will teach me how to use the nav.

The salesman said that they have sold a few, but not as much as they or MB expected. No S--t. He says that the lease deals are generating more interest.
    Good for you! Pewter is the best color in the MB lineup right now in my opinion. I'm sick of Silver(which I own, ha!) You also got all the right options and I assume you'll hold onto it for awhile. The price you negotiated also reflects the current market and you did well to hold out for a month or so until the sales people realized the vehicle wasn't going to move unless they started dealing.
    My COMMAND system navi is the world's worst, so I wish you a lot of luck with that one. I hope MB is continuing to work on this one because it is so far behind all of the other navi systems out there. My 1999 Acura had a better system that what MB has today. Let's see some pics when you get it!! Once again, I love Pewter.
    Thanks, Chirp. I like Pewter better than Silver (which I also currently have.) Yes, I intend to hang onto this or will be likely looking at divorce attorney fees ;)

Never has a nav before, and am pretty technically literate, so we'll see how it goes. Of course, my co-pilot is still confounded by her cell phone. I have read that the new Nav updgrade/software is better than the old version, but I am starting from zeo point of knowledge.

The wait begins...
  • bosebose Member Posts: 8
    All:

Getting a used (1 month old, 1300 miles) R350 at invoice at the same lease deal as being offered through their winter sale. Car has Premium, Heated front seats, second row console and after market parktronic. (Sticker, 56,705, invoice 52,791, lease payment including tax $630, 39 month lease 10k per year)What do you think? Better this or pay the $500 over invoice that most seem to be able to negotiate on a new car? Your comments appreciated
    the lease price seems in line with the current offers, given that its "used." Not a great deal, but certainly an ok one.
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Bose,

it is crazy to save $ 500 in order to buy a used (even if only 1300 miles). Why not buy spanking new with the options that you want vs. what you get.

There is no rush for the R Class. take your time and buy what you like. Prices are not going up anywhere for this vehicle.
    What do you mean by "after-market Parktronic", Bose? Is it not the Parktronic option?, or is it really an after-market non-MB product? I think the MB Parktronic system is one of the best on the market. What are the taxes that are rolled into your lease. In Illinois you pay the full amount of the tax which could represent $115 of the monthly lease tab in this situation. You put $2,600 down as well to lower the payment to match the current MB lease offer?
    Will try and answer a few questions/comments
    It is not the MB parktroninc it is an after-market product.
    This transaction is in PA and the numbers I put up include the 9% tax. The $2600 I was planning to put down was to get to an apples to apples comparsion on this car vs. a new car under the MB lease terms.

I am not sure I can get a car for just $500 over cost but I have read a few comments on the web that say this is possible.

A few of you have pointed out and convinced me that the used one is not worth the effort. I am now trying to work out a lease deal on a new R350. Will let you kow how it progresses. From what I have seen most of them out there have the premium package which has components I don't care about so that is one issue, and the second I'd like to get the mileage up from 10K under the current offer to atleast 12k per year.

Thank you all and any futher insight is appreciated
  • carbuildercarbuilder Member Posts: 1
    No roof rack...remember pan. sunroof.
  • drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    :confuse: I have ordered my R500 with AMG Sport package a few weeks ago...when I questioned my dealer about build date, he states "2nd Week in March." I'm quite puzzled about this, and given the availability of inventory "on the lot" I have cancelled this March built vehicle...sounds like an unacceptably long delay!!
    I was told last week, when shopping and deciding whether to build or buy that the next available build dates were in March, so I don't think that your dealer was misleading you. There is going to be a shut down for the holidays, and in late October, mid January builds were the earliest available.

There is indeed lots of inventory, but the colors and content seemed, at least to me, not quite right. Don't think that many sport packages are in the market at all...there was delayed availability.
    If I had to wait 6 months for one of these, I would walk right out the door. You did the right thing and that is simply ludicrous. This is really getting to be sad for the R-class... :cry:
    In reading a lot of posts about the R-Class here and other boards it seems that Mercedes may have misjudged what options people wanted because it appears that everyone is ordering instead of buying from dealer stock?

drivenow,

That is a too bad about the wait. Did the dealer do nationwide search for you? It would seem to me that Mercedes would concentrate on building customer orders right away since they "standard build" models aren't selling. Doesn't make sense at the factory level to me.

M
    Did you actually get an R-Class or order one?

M
    M- I do not own an R-class, nor have I ordered one. I am getting pounded with MB emails and mailings at home from my dealer, but I will not be buying an R-class. I may go the M route in exchange for my C32, but there are issues with those models as well. I won't buy another MB sedan as it doesn't work with my family and dog... :)
    MBUSA sold 1213 R's in November, about 1/3 more than October, but I would think well below their expectation. On the flip side, looking at the evaoprating sales of large SUV's, for 60k and above, on average, I guess its not too shabby.

Looks like I'll be among the first 3000 or so owners when mine comes in at mid-month. Can't say that I've seen many in the NYC metro area. Two, I think.
  • atic96atic96 Member Posts: 1
    Hi albell, ca you please give the dealership who offered you the $500 over invoice deal? Would like to order one from them too. It's a great deal. Did you lease or buy? Thanks.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    While it's OK to mention a delaership, you may not identify individual salespeople.

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.
    Atic96: The dealer is MB of Nanuet, NY. If you want the name of the salesperson, email me privately. I will be buying, not leasing.
  • benzsterbenzster Member Posts: 152
    So, I did my trip from Memphis to Gatlinburg,TN. Love the vehicle!I had no problem setting the cruise at 85 (wink wink). I set the suspension on sport due to an aggressive cross wind. This did stiffen the ride a little, but eliminated my having to consintrate on correcting. A deer jumped up from the shoulder while I was at about 100mph. I had to cross my hands to avoid hitting her. I did manage to get to the shoulder and back with no problem (thanks ESP),but did unfortunately catch her in the lower rear leg. It broke the lower grill frame. Not to shabby. The lodge where we stayed employs 2 Penzgauers to shuttle the visitors to a creek side pavilion via a steep gravel road. Raise the suspension.... and let the ASR do its trick.

cons:
    There is drivetrane resonance from the 4wd at higher speeds thru the floorboard. Not much but if your feet are flat on the floor you can feel it.(expected)

The voids in the seats when folded were not an issue, but if Chrysler can do it why can't we.

Headlamps are easily over driven at 70mph.

No standard fog lamps.

To comment on posted issues... Mercedes-Benz has historically been an ordered car. Most of the vehicles in stock were built to dealership specs and Sales Managers preferences, not the manufacturer. I do wonder if those that boast a $500 over deal are a cash deal with no trade-in. Is $500 over on an ordered vehicle or an in stock item purchased before Nov. 30th?
    I negotiated all aspects of my deal for $500 over invoice separately. Yes, there is a trade involved in mine, and I am satisfied that I got a good price -- I shopped at several dealers before placing my order, and did thorough research on both trade in values and retail prices. I took a car that was in production and scheduled for another area dealer -- it was swapped. Car is scheduled to arrive in 2-3 weeks. I will give the dealer the option to finance if he can get me a competitive rate (which he says he can.)

Sorry to hear about your deer incidentand glad it was minor. You were fortunate to escape so lightly impacted.

Glad you are enjoying the R. The family and I are anxiously waiting our arrival.
    Sounds like a good deal. I financed thru MB Credit and it was very favorable. I don't know how your state deals with sales tax, but here we must trade at the time of sale. AR can off set tax within 1 year. Point being, you may be able to retail the vehicle and eek out a bit if your state allows, in that 2-3 week period.

I am glad you are excited. I don't feel you will be disappointed.
    Unfortunately, NY doesnt allow for such a tax credit on a private party transaction, which is why trading it in is the best route, tax wise. It adds another 1700 bucks to the effective yield on the trade, so, I am happy.

Do you have the 500 or the 350? What options other than the airmatic?
    I purchased a 350 with the panorama roof, 4 heated seats, Entertainment package, 3 zone climate, 18" wheels and tires, and air suspension. The paint is 755 Iridium Silver with a Black leather interior. This was a quick employee purchase so the next one will probably be equipped a little differently. I would like the parktronic and really don't need a changer since there is an in dash CD. I will add the navi to this one and I am considering adding fog lamps. Even though my wife and I had to change seating positions on the 98 e320 wagon, it is unnecessary with the R350. So, no need for memory seats.
    I just changed my order with my dealer to get the air suspension, after driving one with and without it. I think its a necessary option, especially for our 8 year old who tends to get car sick. There are some incentives now available on the R, which made me happy, so I opted for more equipment, which made the dealer happy.

To paraphrase David Byrne: "Changed my car so many times now, don't know what it looks like." :blush:
    Great! I am headed back to Gatlinburg on Thursday. They predict a little snow. I may drive up on Friday morning to avoid the evening rut:). My $.02 on the suspension is that it really helps with the cross winds. The truck is very stable as far as body roll in the twisties but this will help. DO NOT speed thru a parking lot with speed bumps in the sport mode! You may loose a filling. That is the MOST recognizable situational difference.

Did you get the panorama roof? My wife came home with a Christmas tree strapped to the top a few nights ago. grrrrrrrrr Since I have an 82 300TD with 77K and a Thule rack just for that, I WAS A BIT MIFFED. Mine is all glass (R) so it did not leave a mark. But geeeees a tree?

If I get in any snow or ice I will let you know. The ML's are absolutely BORING in the snow and this should be no different. Which is a good thing unless you are into doing doughnuts for fun.
    My 4 matic wagon is boring that way, too. I did order the pano roof (premium package). Other options include comfort, lighting, heating and 3-zone climate control, as well as the air suspension. My weekend place is in a snow belt so the ability to raise the height has attractions. Actually, this will have more equipment than I really need, but the price was right.

Plan to pick up my tree before the R arrives so that I can use the wagon's roof rack...and let the dealer worry about the sap. ;)
  • 5total5total Member Posts: 15
    What incentive did you find out there for the R-Class. I have seen the 599 lease for 39 months. Did you find anything else out there in print, or are you just saying the dealers are motivated.

I am getting close to pulling the trigger. My tax guy says I should buy something this year. Its down to the SRX and the R-Class. If money were the only issue, the SRX would be the logical choice. But I do prefer the R-Class. Any help in getting the price of the R-Class down would help.
    5total: My salesman told me that there's a 2k incentive if financed through MBCC. Program started on 12/2 and runs through the end of the year. So, my negotiated price was $1500 off invoice, before tax and tags and some minor fees.
  • markc5markc5 Member Posts: 19
    WOOOHOOOO!!!!! I am so glad to see all these folks happy with their R Class. I was the first to take delivery of my R500 in our state and here on Edmunds. If you read back a few hundred entries I had to defend this purchase as thought I had bought a YUGO. We are at 4000 miles and 3-4 months into the purchase and we could not be happier or more impressed. No problems yet. My wife actually argued with me to put the Christmas tree on ours as well. After a few %$^$^%%&^% I think she realized I was a bit passionate about putting a freakin christmas tree on top of my $75K car. Women..... What can you say.... Can't live with 'em and you can't live with 'em :)
    Albell: Is the 1500 incentive avaible on a lease and purchase if one uses MBCC? Thanks for the info
    Bose: What I was told is that the incentive ($2000) is applicable to either a lease or purchase, but only if financed through MBCC.
    Albell:

Best I have been able to negotiate is $100 over invoice. Would you mind passing on the name of the dealership you were able to negotiate $1500 off invoice with?
    Bose:

Hmm, maybe it's just my skill. LOL. Dealer is MB of Nanuet, NY. If you email me privately, I can give you specific information.
    My apologies to all the forum readers on the last dumb request for info that was laready available. Chalk it up to working too many hours to try and pay for a mercedes!
    Trip was easy and the wife drove. I installed an I Pod integration harness and NAVI system before I left. They both work great! With a 40 gig I Pod and the ability of the system to read mp3's (not sure about dual layer yet)it is amazing how much this baby will hold. Has anyone discussed the fact that you can plug in headsets in the rear (w/ the option)and play a device while the other passengers listen to something else. Mercedes always falls short on promoting the cool stuff. Other car companies do it. Have you ever seen a G Wagon covered in mud on TV? Hummer, Land Rover, Toyota sure..... ML nope. I have driven an ML thru water so high that I could reach out the window and touch it. I have driven down an incline so steep that I my rear end came up off the seat. Any one ever heard of the "2nd gear no rollback" feature? Any one seen the GT40 commercial...... SLR Mclaren?

"Alls I'm sayin" is that this forum is a good thing because MBUSA won't promote 1/2 of the features and benefits on their cars.

I would love to see a commercial where a person has their hands full at the rear of an R Class and pushes the atomatic hatch closure button on their remote, or the kids are argueing over music and the problem is solved with the rear audio control feature.