Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Comments

• benzsterbenzster Member Posts: 152
    You are probably right. The point of my post is that the situation was not drastic for the handling dynamic of my vehicle (no tire squeal, drastic lean). But a simple slightly aggressive maneuver produced a much different response from a lesser designed or equipped vehicle. You may not realize that what seems non aggressive in an AMG equipped vehicle is way out of range in a Toyota Corolla. I have seen plenty of vehicles with rear impacts due to the fact that other vehicles just can't stop in the same distance. Someone pulls out in front of you and you brake hard, but the person behind you is just incapable of doing so in the same distance.
  • chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    There is no doubt that Mercedes has a penchant for safety. I think my C32 had 8 airbags! and the braking/suspension/ESP, etc. made for an unbelievably confident car. I was rear-ended in my C32 by a van on a freeway who was unable to stop in time. I slowed due to traffic ahead and I could see this van in my rearview mirror going into full brake lockup. I had probably 10 feet between me and the car in front of me and as the van got closer I nudged the gas and when he hit me I then applied the brake and stopped both of us before my car hit the car in front of me! We both got out and there was only minor scrapes on the C32 bumper. I was shocked to say the least, but I think my little gas-brake maneuver caught the momentum of the van and harnessed it to some degree.

Ok, I was lucky as He**, but to tell you the truth that C32 performed amazingly well. The Mercedes product is a superior product and I'm not sure the outcome would have been the same in something else. For me, Safety is still the key and we all know where Mercedes stands on that. I expect the R-class to be the Best-in-class with regards to safety and I'm sure it is.
    I am always glad to hear about the safe outcome of an accident!
    The most incredible story for me to date is:
    An SLK was sitting in the turn lane and was struck from behind by a driver weaving to its left. They were attempting to go through the light to the left of a line of cars in the turn lane.
    It struck the SLK and knocked it through the intersection and into a brick wall on the other side.
    The engine was driven under the vehicle and away from the car. The trunk was nonexistent.
    All the airbags deployed and the driver was knocked unconscious. She walked away with minor cuts and bruising.
    The person who related this story was the gentleman who saw the incident and opened the car door. He made it a point to tell me that he feared the worst, but felt better when the door opened freely and the cockpit seemed intact.
    I think everyone has seen the video taken of the SL in Germany that flips at 130+ and slides on its roof until being tripped on the grass shoulder and flips back over on its tires. THE ROOF FINALLY POPS OFF AND THE GUY WALKS TO THE SHOULDER, SITS DOWN AND PUTS HIS HEAD IN HIS HANDS!
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    And it is the main reason that I keep on driving MBs. IMHO there is no safer vehicle built, whatever other brands advertising/marketing campaigns declare.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Your opinion and the National Institute For Highway Safety may differ. No car company in this class (Audi, BMW, MB, Lexus, Infiniti) has a bad vehicle. They're all quite safe and get very high marks.

But right now, Audi is the only brand that has (3) vehicles A3, A4, A6 that are all "double best picks" for both front and side impact. You may call it a marketing campaign, but it is based on reality.
    Actually, I was referring to Volvo. I agree that there are many excellent, well-engineered and safe vehicles out there, including the ones you mentioned. (And many employ safety concepts and engineering that MB originated.)

Test results aside, which differ markedly from real-world scenarios, MB remains my personal preference.

Happy (safe) motoring. :shades:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I had to take down the post with the interior shots becasue the width of the image forced the message area of the board under the right side videos.

To avoid this issue, please do not add images to your posts that are any wider than 500 pixels. If you have an image that simply has to be seen full sized to be appreciated, simply post a link to the photo. That way other users will be able to view the image in the new window it will open up in, and we avoid messing with the margins!
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    I agree with the rest, that Mercedes is a very safe product. Yesterday I saw a SLK that was broadsided by a Suburban. The SLK was hit pretty bad, but no one was hurt.

On the other hand, the on going nagging problems that they have has been a big problem for Mercedes. Alot of current owners are not happy with the electronic and transmission (which is also electronic) problems.

Mercedes are very solid in real life crash. However, you cannot ignore others such as Volvo, BMW, Audi...even Hondas and Acuras are starting to step up to the plate when it comes to saftey.
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    Why?

Because according to Automotive News (the Industry Bible), MB is subsidizing the R to the tune of $9000 per vehicle. $9000 !!

Aside from the obvious ramifications of this unbelievable subsidy, MB recently admitted that the R class has been marketed to the wrong people. MB finds it is getting a younger family MINIVAN crowd who are interested but when they see the sticker, they are off to greener pastures.

MB thought that the R would appeal to an older demographic looking for more spread-out room with SUV pretensions but car style. This proved to be wrong-headed.

Automotive News asked how MB could have been so far wrong on this considering how much advance marketing research was expended on the R class.

In addition, sales of the R class have been all over the map since its introduction. Not a good sign. Right now, sales are up, but who would expect sales to be down when a $60,000 vehicle is really being sold withthe equivalent of $40,000 monthly payment incentives.

My prediction: The R class will eventually bomb out- In fact the market for vehicles in this class has been shrinking significantly in the last couple of years.
    Bottom line- expect to see the sticker drop next year on the R. :lemon:
    I think your prediction and bottom line is on track. A case like that, it is best to lease than to purchase. Of course its just best to wait until Mercedes really comes out with a smoking deal. Will Mercedes come with a smoking deal or just drop the R Class all together? Only time will tell.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    It is very interesting as to how the R didn't become a hit considering all the marketing and auto show hoopla that it had for nearly 3 years starting from the original Vision GST days. That said Mercedes won't drop the R, but they'll likely re-package it for 2007 with lower prices and more standard equipment and if that doesn't work they'll just have to make do. In the end it really won't matter as much as say if one of the E,C or S-Class lines were bombing upon introduction. The GL looks to be a hit and the M already is and there are signs that the R is becoming popular in Europe. MBUSI will just adjust production from the U.S. to other markets and then the GL will take up some more capacity. Not a dire situation, but a significant blow to Mercedes' SUV/Crossover effort for sure.

M
    No one is more bummed about this than me(ok, well maybe the executives at MB are...). I followed this thing from day one and read every email, poured over the video teasers, etc., etc. and then the INTRODUCTION and PRICING arrived in a preview email with a "This is for-your-eyes-only because you have been following the R from day one and you should get your order in before the rush" message.
    It's been downhill ever since for me and alot of it has to do with what I thought was coming and eventually what arrived. I was looking for this beautiful, almost private jet-like interior with a seemless,flowing and unobstructed panoramic roof and all the goodies that go with it, so much so that it could never be compared to a MINIVAN and when I put down the big cash for this vehicle I would truly be in a situation wherein I knew I purchased another vehicle that truly EXCITED me. The excitement never happened and the minivan/crossover/pacifica comparisons just killed it for me. There isn't anyone I know(besides you folk here) that would look at a new R in my driveway and not make the minivan comparison. It is nothing special in the eyes of the consumer.

The funny thing is I would have paid the premium for what I thought the R was going to be. I will not pay the going rate for what the R eventually came to be and I feel duped by Mercedes for getting me all excited about something that has yet to be delivered, in my opinion. It really is sad.

I know for those of you who have purchased one it seems to work for you and that is fantastic. I just wish it was that dreamy, sexy, and ultra-comfortable cruiser Mercedes promised me. At this pont the price needs to be in the Toyota Sienna XLE Limited price range of $42,000 loaded with absolutely every option available from NAVI to the full entertainment package. In my mind that is the only way this thing will sell WELL.

True story(as much as I think I can make stuff up like this, I really can't...)- The woman who cuts my hair got a new Pacifica this past week and when I was in her shop yesterday she pointed out the window at it and said "that is the closest I will come to owning a Mercedes". I said what do you mean? She said "well, it's built on a Mercedes chassis". I didn't know what to say other than "That's nice".... :(
    I understand what you're saying and agree with most of it. What can they do to "fix" the current R is the question. I think that if the upcoming repackage (rumors so far) of options, new V8 and diesel models will help some. Autoweek has an article about the R and how MB got the marketing wrong and how the've dealt with it so far. It is must unusual for a new Benz to not sell well so I'm sure they're burning the midnight oil in Jersey trying to come up with a better way to present/market this thing. The looks and interior, which have put many off are pretty much a done deal until the re-design which won't be until at least 2011...seems like forever at the current rate.

M
    I get Autoweek, but have not seen this article until you posted it. This statement from Turner reflects my sentiments exactly:

"In this market people expect Mercedes-Benz to be luxurious, sporty and just about anything that the R class isn't," Turner says. "It's too expensive for the styling statement that is has."

Funny thing is most MB owners will pay more for a high-grade product and I was willing to pay considerably more for a unique and high-grade product. Unfortunately, lowering the price is not a fix for me at all and I equate this to like buying something at OVERSTOCK.COM.

Thanks for that article link merc1!
    Someone (or more) in marketing at MBUSA should be canned over the R-class screw up.

I don't necessarily agree with Turner (or you Chirp) that the R is not luxurious. Maybe not CLS or S class standards, but it certainly is in line with many other MB products. I do agree that it is not sporty, per se, but what vehicles of this ilk are? Certainly not SUV's (Cayenne, SRX and possibly X3/5 excepted.) For a people hauler -- and I have no pretensions that it is other than that -- it certainly is the best drive and ride I have experienced.

I guess I am the correct demographic for the R: two young kids and the need for hauling flexibility. And when the pricing came into line, I was and remain, happy with the value.

Bottom line is that while I think MB could have done much better with the R in terms of content/pricing and marketing, I still think it is an exceptional vehicle.

Sorry, Chirp, but my friends' Siennas just don't match it on the drive/ride side. Of course, that's just my opinion, and for many the price difference between the two is so significant that the differences are moot.
    I would agree with most everyone on this subject. But....
    I think the ride is MUCH better than anything else with a similar configuration. The people that have driven/ moved it in the driveway, whatever, have all been extremely impressed. I have been around MB for 8 years now so I am numbed to interior levels somewhat. Others have said that it has a beautiful interior and is roomy and comfortable (the wife loves it so I am 1 to the good). Just look at a 98 ML compared to an 06 to see how far it has evolved.

I have a CLK350 and feel it is the bottom of the line, but I received a very positive complement on the looks yesterday. I certainly fit the demographic, two kids, extra car pool riders, traded a MB wagon, drive to the lake/beach,etc.
    I am still in love. MB has soooooo many models, and with multiple levels of engine choice, it is hard to think that MB is thinking they can corner the market with any one car. In fact, I believe it is just the opposite (something for everyone). That is why the sales comparisons are of little interest to me. Example: Others have how many sedan choices? MB has 15 4 door models.
    I know what goes into the production of an MB. I have removed rear seats to compare how they are made. Did you know that BMW does not clear coat their trunk jambs for example. Remove the rear seat and flip it over on similar models of different makes. All these items are seldom brought into consideration but add to value. Services are not covered by MB, but 65% of every MB ever produced is still on the road at last check.
    So, where do we go from here???
    Where do we go from here?

Just enjoy the ride, baby! And the kibbitzing. ;)
    Funny thing is most MB owners will pay more for a high-grade product and I was willing to pay considerably more for a unique and high-grade product. Unfortunately, lowering the price is not a fix for me at all and I equate this to like buying something at OVERSTOCK.COM.

This is true because Mercedes has never had a problem with selling cars at high prices when the car was worth it. The new S is a good example of that. It costs more than the W220 did when it came out and is selling better than it did and back then it was both the S430 and S500 doing the selling.

If Mercedes had just kept this R closer to the original concept in styling and interior design they wouldn't be able to produce enough of them. Ok the fancy doors and wheels would have to go in order to get to production, but that interior was stunning as was the first concept, the Vision GST. Seems they lost "sight" of that.

That said I've seen a few loaded R500s in that Alpine Rain color with the AMG package and they look good to me. Its the base models with the little wheels that don't looks so hot, IMO. I still the R can be fixed, but it may have to soldier on until facelift time for a real fix concerning the interior, but the price/equipment problem can be fixed for 2007 if MB gets serious about making this thing sell without so much "help".

M
    I have seen, sat in, but not driven the new S. I think it is da bomb. Mercedes did everything right in my opinion and they should sell every one they can produce.

Once again, my disappointment comes from just what you have said about sticking closer to the concept and what they kept feeding me all along. I don't mean to rag on any of you who have bought the R at all and I hope I'm not coming across that way. I'm 51 with a 15 year old and a 9 year old and I thought I was in this targeted demographic.

Maybe I need to see an R63 to get excited. I just don't know... Sorry, guys.
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    I am with all those that feel duped by MB with the R. I had waited anxiously for the R to come out. I also read every, everything I could find. I was soooo hopeful. Then I saw it, drove it, was disappointed with so many aspects. Frankly, I need a car like the R, and if it had been the car I was waiting for, I'd have paid full dollar for it. At this point, they will have to pay me to buy it! I drive a 98 E320 wagon, and it's wonderful. I had a 300td before that. I'm not new to MB and my cars have been mostly trouble free. We also have 2002 E class that has had a few problems - none of which would stop me from buying another MB.
    What was MB thinking when they built the R? If they had certain people in mind, and I think I was one of them, why did they not ask us? They must read forums - if not they should.
    Thanks for letting me vent!
  • mishmash1mishmash1 Member Posts: 16
    Hi everyone,

Interesting thread. Although I agree with most of whats been said I must say that MB's misfire on the R-class has been my gain. Where else can you get a $60,000 vehicle at a Toyota Sienna lease price. Talk about value!! My wife absolutely loves it. We were waiting for the Audi Q7 but could not pass up the deal MB is offering right now. Does it look like..... a minivan? Slightly.....a glorified Pacifica? maybe. But let me tell you THIS IS NO PACIFICA. I owned one and the ride and luxuries of the R-class are beyond compare. One positive side effect of the MB misfire might be to attract NEW MB owners, albeit at a $$$ loss for now. Time will tell. THANK YOU MB!!!! :D
  • ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    Can you go to IKEA with 5 kids and bring back 2 file cabinets and a desk home? A freind of mine just did that yesterday with a Sienna.
    Hmmmmmmm. I am 43, 13/11 children, married. Traded wife's 98 E320 for R350 and I was driving a 82 300td with 70k miles on it until I leased a 350CLK recently. When I saw the R the first time, I called the wife to come see it. I bought it before I drove it (in my mind). I don't have a building supply hauler anymore.... but that is a good thing. hehehehehe
    We are the same demo (before the CLK)so why would I buy and you not?
    Why would you drive a wagon and not the R? It is easier to get in and out of, roomier, better suspension, safer.... The only draw back is backing it up. What are its shortcomings?
    Nope! You can't. But I drove a rental one of those in Breckenridge and I was scared. That FWD BS just stinks in the wet and snow. We were getting 3-5 inches per day and every time I got in it I hated it. All I could think was, " Man, I wish I had my R out here". 4WD plus the best traction control period coupled with those huge tires would have been heaven. I missed a concert in Aspen just because I was afraid of the drive over. The Hyatt in Beaver Creek used the R Class this season for their shuttle vehicles.
    My view is that the other 364 days a year you would have to drive a Sienna.
  • ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    She lives in the Northeast and it is an XLE LTD AWD Sienna with blue-tooth, voice-activated navigation, laser cruise, back-up camera, traction control, vechicle stability control, parallel-parking assist, etc. It is a lot more and better vehicle than the R class 365 days a year by any measure.
    by any measure.
    Wow.
    So you don't want your rear passengers to be able to roll down their windows all the way or control their own A/C, audio component, heated seats... wait, does the Sienna offer rear heated seats?
    Alls I'm sayin is, by any measure means ANY. I like the features you mentioned, but if it came down to voice activated controls over adjustable air suspension with double wishbone front arms etc.....
    by any measure
    except displacement, torque, and horsepower you mean.
    I get it, camera over parktronic and voice activated over manual NAVI are the measure. Size matters to you and it is bigger. I can't argue that it is bigger.
    So you drove both and hated the R?
    I guess what I really wanted was my wagon, but bigger. The R is bigger, but then it doesn't have a bench seat in the middle, and I don't care about hauling people (it's all about the dogs!), so I don't want the 3rd row of seats. In my 98 wagon the seats were not an option, but in my 300td they were, and I had more storage space. I want a bench seat so I can have the dog barrier. I don't want to spend money on a console.
    I do especially like the idea of the 3 zone climate control. But going back to the wagon - I want roof rails. I do haul 4x8 sheets of things occasionally and I'm not going to put them in the car! I realize I can't have the roof rack/rails on the roof itself, due to the panaroma roof, but rails would be nice. Even some of the Pacificas have the rails. Thankfully my Thule roof box can most likely go on the car.
    The options, options, options bug me - they aren't options, they're a must!
    I wish it had the hood ornament so I could see where the front end started and ended, but no, I must opt for parktronic - YIKES!
    I am the perfect demo for what MB had in mind, I just wish they had called me first!
    I complain and I whine about it, and I'm arrogant in my choice of cars, but I don't see any other option! I need more space and I really want the added aircon, as we know, the Germans of old didn't do a very good job on air-conditioning!
    The more happy R owners I read about, the closer I get! The next question is if I jump, do I wait for the 2007?
    A little advice, don't waste your time debating the R there.

M
    A little advice, don't waste your time debating the R there.
    I know, but it is always fun. Especially when someone says that they know someone who has the very best ______ that ANYONE could own. But they don't have one.
    I was talking to the sales manager at my MB dealer and he thinks MB is going to stop the $5000 incentive. Anyone else hear about this?
    Also, any thoughts on the diesel R that's supposed to come out in October?
    Also, any thoughts on the diesel R that's supposed to come out in October?
    With the added torque I think it will be an asset. Improved mileage is a plus.
    I do not feel it will end due to sales and the price point being missed by MBUSA. Incentives are released about 1 week into the month, so a mgr should not have that info. FYI I don't either.
    I don't drive much anymore, so is it a mistake to buy a diesel? We go on a couple of long trips a year, but otherwise it's short hops in town.
    If you average 10,000 miles per year in your vehicle and it gets an average of 20mpg you use 500 gallons of gas (pretty good math, huh?) If the price of gas escalates $2.00 per gallon more than it is today($5.00) it costs you a thousand bux more annually to drive the same car. To some that is a drop in the bucket; to others it is a big expense. If you drive a lot of miles annually it may make sense to seek out alternatives. If you drive a minimal amount(less than 10,000 annually) I don't see where you should worry at all about mpg numbers. If you want a Diesel for other performance reasons(i.e., hauling) then you may want to look into it, but finding convenient access to diesel fuel may be an issue for you.

The premium price on many Hybrids(not all) makes them just about impractical when you try to calculate any kind of payback as we have seen. People buy them because they believe in their haart they are doing the right thing for the planet.
    Keep in mind that diesel is also at least a biy more expensive in many parts of the country than even premium unleaded. That, plus the premium that MB usually charges for diesels over the gas-powered equivalent also needs to be factored into the value equation.
    I drove diesels for years (when I drove a lot) - started in a VW rabbit and then on to a 300td MB wagon. Then they stopped shipping the diesel wagons to the US so I moved on the the gas wagon.
    Of course, I do know where the local diesel stops are, but I would guess it'll be more truck stops on a trip.
    A friend of mine has 300 diesel (2005?) and raves about getting 40 mpg. Wouldn't that be nice.
    I'm going to take a look at a GL this weekend if I find time.
    Thanks for your input.
  • rclassfanrclassfan Member Posts: 5
    The windscreen on our new r-class cracked today with a small road stone... the interesting aspect though is the crack goes right to the edge, not where the stone hit

I have heard on other models this can be when the factory fitted windscreens are not fitted well (i.e., over tight in some areas). Has anyone else heard of this on the R-class?

Would you get it replaced at a MB dealer or just a glass shop covered by insurance?
    Have you noticed that some of the R Class have the 4-Matic on the right rear cargo door and some don't. I wonder why.
    They started badging everything with 4Matic with that after a certan production date. Later model ML/R and all GL models will say 4Matic. They really didn't need to do that IMO, 4Matic is a given on any MB SUV.

M
    More branding nonsense by the crack MBUSA marketing staff. I guess they feel the need to compete with the "quattro" and "x-drive" brands.
    Did you read that some of marketing people in Jersey are being let go over the R-Class? Oh well you make your bed you have to lay in it!

M
    yes, I had heard that rumor. As I have been there myself, I hate to see anyone "rightsized," but the R marketing scheme was completely bone-headed.
    I bet the fallout has been something around the office! I wonder what they'll do for the next generation R, if there is one. It is amazing though because the R had a long lead from 2002 onwards as a concept and the interest seemed to be sky high during promotion, but then it hit the showroom floor with a thud. Here is a post I made over at MBWorld.org:

This is hot topic right now, the lackluster sales of the R-Class. I'm seeing more and move them on the roads, but if you look at the sales figures they're way up one month and then down the next.

I think the R missed the target for several reasons. First off they styling went got killed from concept to production. That concept "Vision GST" was stunning both inside and out. Of course the Lamborghini-style doors couldn't make production, but the body should have been kept as close to the concept as possible. Mercedes is more than capable of doing this, witness the Vision CLS and the production CLS, both gorgeous and the production model barely lost anything compared to the original concept. So styling is one issue, a big one from what I see people write about the R on other forums. First flaw: Styling - it strayed to far from the concept.

Next up is the interior. Again the concept had a much better looking interior with a futuristic looking twin-post design with lots of real aluminum and what not. Ok some of that has to be toned down for production, but the design/layout should have been kept the same. Then there is a quality of materials issue that still plauges the Bama made cars. Yes they're all better than the original ML in both design and quality, but there are other products in the SUV/Crossover segment with better built interiors with greater material and assembly quality. A Mercedes is not supposed to be surpassed in this area. Period especially at an opening price of around 50K. If Mercedes is going to market the R (as they initially intended) as executive transport for 6 then the interior should be a knock out in both quality and design, something futuristic an unlike any other Mercedes would have done the trick along with material quality like that of the new S or the CLS. Second Flaw: interior design/styling and quality (for the price and mission of the vehicle they aren't up to snuff).

There there is the issue of price vs standard equipment. Simply put there are too many options and not enough standard equipment. Since the the R doesn't appeal a executive express for 6 it is being cross-shopped with minivans and no matter how clueless a buyer may be about a Mercedes' other virtues they'll always compare the window sticker equipment to a common minvan and the R doesn't favor well, unless you spend another 10-12K in options which by then the price is way to high for this type of buyer. Third Flaw: Value equation is way out of whack even for a Mercedes.

Overall the R isn't practical enough to be called or function as a minivan and it isn't styling or luxurious enough to live up to the initial promise of the concept being a new type of executive express for 6 people. A jack of a all trades and a master of none if you will. So the road is going to be long and hard for the R until it gets a re-design in 2012 if the typial 7 years apply. I can't imagine it going that long and still selling in good enough numbers for it to make sense to keep producing it.

That said, the R320 CDI should be somewhat popular and I guess the result of all this surveying will be a re-package of the equipment and options. Now what I don't get is why Mercedes isn't putting the new V8s in the R (or ML) for 2007. Now that is just plain dumb. My little theory for this is that they're waiting for the V8s to be fitted with direct-injection for more power and less consumption for the U.S. market. Afterall what other reason could there be for not selling the new GL500 (our 550) in the U.S. when it is on sale already in Europe? If this happens it will be for the 2008 model year, next spring at the earliest....a long time for the now ancient SOHC V8 to soldier on.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

M
    I agree with much that you write, but I don't necessarily agree that the R isn't practical. If you listen to or read what owners say, they love it, by and large. At least for me, it is the most versatile vehicle I have owned. I think there is a market for it, perhaps not in as great a number as MB expected, but MB blew it by targeting it, and equiping/pricing it, for the wrong demographic -- this should not have been targeted to the S-Class set looking for additional seats, but to families who wanted something other than a minivan or SUV, but needed the functionality of both, plus the luxury, engineering and driving characteristics of Mercedes. I don't believe that there is a dearth of prospective buyers out there. But it may be that MB doesn't know how to reach them. :sick:
    I caved and bought an Odyssey Touring w/NAVI and Rear Entertainment System for my wife. $1500 under invoice and at $33,947 plus TTL, it's too good of a deal to pass up. Say what you want about that, but Mercedes blew it for me on the R. In 2012 I'll be out of the market for the R(and any minvan/SUV/people hauler for that matter). I honestly hope you all who have purchased an R-class don't get killed on resale/trade. Good motoring to you all and we'll see you on the highways! :)
    The Odyssey is a great bang for the bucks. Great van, high on reliability, safety and resale. The only great thing about the R class is that leasing it is very cheap. If I had to pay cash for the car, I would buy the Honda because it retains it value. The value of the R Class goes down rapidly and is not as reliable as the Honda. We were able to lease a $54,000 car, 27 months, 15,000 miles per year at $499 plus tax a month is not a bad deal. By the way drive off was $1400.00.
  • jabbahopjabbahop Member Posts: 3
    The R works for me. I've owned an ML with the 3rd row seats for 6 years and now my three boys are getting big enough that the back space is cramped. I have four requirements for the car...

1) I need space between the kids - this means three rows of seats. The "Will you stop touching me" episodes will lead to airbag deployment!
    2) I need to have a full sized seats in the third row. My kids are growing daily and I don't want cramped quarters or I have more fights
    3) It needs to be easy to get in the back.
    4) It has to have 4 wheel drive.

I've looked at full sized SUVs but they are too hogish and it still isn't easy to access the back seat in many of them.

I've looked at minivans but only the Sienna has 4 wheel drive. At this point I can't bring myself to drive a minivan even though they are quite nice and incredibly functional.

I've looked at the R - for me it seems like the right set of features for us.

I am probably not typical but a Sports Family Hauler is a better term than Sport Tourer for us. Not sexy but I have to think that there are bunches of family that would love something more sexy than a van but with much of its practicality.
    I think there is a market for it, perhaps not in as great a number as MB expected, but MB blew it by targeting it, and equiping/pricing it, for the wrong demographic -- this should not have been targeted to the S-Class set looking for additional seats, but to families who wanted something other than a minivan or SUV, but needed the functionality of both, plus the luxury, engineering and driving characteristics of Mercedes. I don't believe that there is a dearth of prospective buyers out there. But it may be that MB doesn't know how to reach them.

This might have been the way to go, but then wouldn't price be a problem??

M
    Bingo. The pricing -- or rather perceived value for $$ -- IS the problem for the R, given its demographic sweet spot. On the other hand, MB doesnt seem to have any problems moving very well equipped M-Classes, and likely will sell a bunch of GL's, which again suggests that marketing muffed this punt.
    Sorry about the late post. Mercedes glass is labeled, but the same glass is made on the same line as PPG. It won't be labeled MB and it may raise questions on trade in. That said, there is an issue with independents replacing glass and trying to reuse the sensors. Don't let them do it! Since this is through insurance, why would you not let MB do it? This is a structural part of the cabin and is glued in precisely. The glass through MB will have a new sensor area. If you don't go MB you can still buy the white sticker through parts.
    I have seen very few issues like yours on the service drive. I have seen it though, if the impact was "near" the edge. In seven years I have witnessed only 2 stress fractures without impact. I have a loop just for this issue.
    My suggestion is go to the Dealer or you might get your drains glued shut and inoperable rain sensor, interior lamps, dash lights to bright, questions raised at trade in due to red flags.
  • rclassfanrclassfan Member Posts: 5
    Many thanks, benzster, for the informative post on windscreen replacement... we'll probably get it done at the 1000 mile check up then at MB.

When you say you have a loop for this issue, I presume you mean when you service them in the shop, not something I should have?