Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Comments

• benzsterbenzster Member Posts: 152
    It should light up when the remote is being used. Push a button and the light comes on.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    I've got water streaming into the passenger side footwell. It happens when I turn on the A/C. I had this happen with my 2000 ML. It had something to do with the condenser tubing. Oh well. We'll see what service has to say tomorrow....
  • chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    I've had that happen on 2 different cars myself. It's the drain tube for sure and I would turn off the A/C until you get it fixed. Once the carpet picks up that moldy smell it never goes away. It could be worse. When my kids were small one of them dropped a cardboard milk jug on the carpet and before my wife realized what had happened it was too late. Have you ever smelled rancid milk in a carpet? :cry: They should be able to fix you up with no problem.
    I had the pleasure in my sister in-law's c class. As a result, my kids have never been allowed milk in the car and all weather mats are standard.
  • benzsterbenzster Member Posts: 152
    Did that....milkshake in the carpet of a T&C. Never the same and that is a big carpet to replace.
    Well, tomorrow came and went. It seems that they don't stock parts in 'bama. The car is permanently parked in the shop, awaiting the blower unit from Stutgart (sp?). Maybe I should have gotten the sushi fridge in the glovebox(ala Volkswagen), rather than the water dispenser.
  • chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    That's not good and sorry to hear. Is there a crack in the condensor/blower unit and that's causing the leak?
    I picked it up too late to ask questions. The work order stated a clog caused the back up. It ruined the blower and filter. I hope it doesn't happen again.
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    I've been shopping around for the right color/options combo, and it looks like my preferred color (Alpine Rain/Ash) does not have the options I want. Available inventory is very limited, since the 2007s are coming, and the only one which has my preferred options come in a Desert Silver/Macadamia color. I want to take advantage of the current $5K incentive, since the 2007s will cost more when they come out in Oct. For those who has this color combo, can you tell me if the interior stays clean? Is the Macadamia too "yellow" as this is a classic MB interior color from the sixties. I'll like to hear your experiences after living with this color combo. Thanks for sharing.

Cary
  • bits1bits1 Member Posts: 6
    We have this combo and love it. At first I thought the exterior would be a bit too gold for us, but it really is closer to silver. It's a great looking car.
    Bits1,

Thanks for the assurance. I will be picking up this R350 today, so am quite excited. I think the exterior "Champagne" color is quite elegant, but am more concerned about the ability of the interior to stay clean. The first time I saw this combination was under a very hot sun, so the interior just looked very yellow. I saw it again yesterday in partial shade, and its better than my first impression. Do you need to treat the seats with anything special to keep them clean? Thanks.
  • martinfmartinf Member Posts: 121
    Someone just backed into my almost new R500. I need a driver's side rear tail lamp lens or assembly (I think they only sell as one piece). Does anyone know of a source of used parts from custom shops or salvage places? I have seen a number of "blacked out" custom R's that have replaced the rear tail lamp lenses with almost black lenses. I did see a rear tail lamp assembly on ebay for $59, but it was for the passenger side, not the driver side. Thanks!!
    A dealer contacted me to order a 2007 R350. Its too bad since I just picked up my 2006 loaded R350(Desert Silver/Macadamia) last week. I checked dealer prices for the 2007, and it looks like MB has made some adjustments. Here is just a snapshot, as I'm sure more details will be coming out:

1. MSRP for the R350 is now $43,000 w/o destination
    2. MSRP for the R500 is now $50,500 w/o destination
    3. A premium I and premium II package is available
    4. The premium II cost a little over $8000, but includes most options
    5. A rear camera is now included in the premium II package, along with Hands Free Communications

I checked with a couple other dealers, and it looks like the 2007s are just beginning to show up. With these aggressive prices, there is probably little room for discounts, but you never know. I'm sure the $7K dealer discount won't apply to the 2007s either, so good luck.

Cary
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Whoa, that is a as big a price drop I've seen on any Mercedes since 1994! Both the R350 and R500 are 5K cheaper for 2007, including shipping. That and the revised packages should help get them moving a little better now, but MB has to put some advertising behind the R again too.

Germans it seems never say quit and MB hasn't yet given up on the weakest of the Bama triplets.

M
    Think of it as the current $5 dealer incentive being applied to the MSRP ;)
    Yep, that is exactly what it is.

Any word on the MSRP for the R320 CDI or R63 AMG?

M
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Wow. Haven't seen that before. I suppose it's better that they address this now, but as an owner (rather than a lessee) it's killing me if I ever get decide to trade this car.
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    Thats why its better to lease. When the lease is up, you then could decide if you like the car or not. Look at what the pay off is and look at the Blue Book value. If your payoff is low and you like the car, then buy it. If the payoff is high and you like the car, you could try to renegotiate with Mercedes. Mercedes will negotiate. If you don't care for the car, just turn it back in.
    I have leased in the past, and fully understand the pros/cons. I never really liked to lease, though, given the mileage I generally put on and kids (wear and tear)...there aren't any real advantages for me.
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    I agree with you on the wear/tear and miles. That is why I like to lease. We usually lease the car at 15K to 20K a year. I let the kids do their thing (wear and tear) and turn in the car when done. Let someone else have the problems.

Last week someone side swiped my wife car. (06, BMW 750LI) I really could care less about the car because the car is leased. We let the body shop do their thing and at the end of the lease we just turn it in. Of course we want the body shop to do a great job, but for the long term effect, it will be someone elses problem. We'll just move on to another car.
    The beauty of leasing eh? ;)

M
  • plt03plt03 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just got a lease quote today from a Bay Area (CA) dealer for a R350. With $3000 down, I will have to pay $788/month for 27 months (18K miles/year). If I go with 15K miles/year, the payment is lowered to $725/month. Is this a good deal or can I do better? Thanks everyone.
  • vicsvics Member Posts: 10
    On the sales slip of my R350 there is a listing for a Group 101, Black leather.
    Where is the black leather? On what surfaces?
    Thanks for your help.
    Nah the price dropped because it wasn't selling.

M
    Check this Forum section: Mercedes R Class: Lease Questions.
    I think your quote is approaching a full MSRP price on the vehicle with no discount at all. I hope you comparison shopped a few other dealers in the Bay Area before pulling the trigger on this one. I understand the dealer in Walnut Creek had been offering significant discounts on the R's during these past few weeks. Mercedes is still giving the dealers $7000 cash back on the 2006's. Although the 2007's are $5000 less on MSRP, the mathematics of leasing strongly favors getting a vehicle with a higher MSRP and larger discount rather than a lower MSRP and smaller discount. You can run the numbers on a lease calculator from cars.com if you are curious. Good luck! It is a very nice vehicle (I have had 6 previous Mercedes, most recently a 2001 CL500, and I think the vehicle compares favorably to any. I like the room and the ride, and my R500 has a lot of get up and go with highway mileage of 20 so far exceeding EPA estimate. I would drive that one just be sure it is not better for you. I know it is only 34 horsepower more, but it is about 89 foot pounds of torque more, and you can feel that!).
    I just checked the Mercedes of Walnut Creek website. They are offering a "minimum of $12,000 off MSRP" on the 2006 R 350 and R500. Check with them!!
  • cartunrcartunr Member Posts: 4
    I was all set to lease a Honda my wife wanted for 36 months, the dealer wanted $645 a month with $2,000 down.

I drove the R350 and couldn't believe the ride and power, Mercedes is offering a 27 month lease for $529 with $4,074 down. No doubt the Mercedes is a lot more car!

Any feedback on the R350 or R500 would be appreciated, I'll probably wait a month or so to see if Mercedes comes up with even better incentives before leasing.
  • mbzr350mbzr350 Member Posts: 7
    Just leased the 2006 R350 today. I have done many test drives and finally leased this car.

It is a beauty, and everything that you looked for. It is also very roomy compare to other mini SUV. My children love to be in it enjoying the panorama view.

I almost leased an Acura MDX but glad that I found this one. Comparing for the price of the Acura with all the options, this one is far exceed expectations.
    I leased a 2006 because I have such a better deal I can't resist. My dealer also offers a life time road side assistance. He said this is typical for all Mercedez models.
  • irishrogue1irishrogue1 Member Posts: 127
    where on their website did you find this???
    The Mercedes website. The lease offer is for 2006 R350 $2999 (?) 499/mo. 27 months lease.
    I took the 10K/ year lease because I wasn't sure if I like this car or not.

But I am glad I did. I test drove many other SUVs, The 38K Toyota and Honda Vans. This one surprised me with just 46K but fully loaded. Sticker price on it is 54K with Navigation, Preminum sounds while everything else is standard. The best part is the gas per mileage at 17 and 21 same as my VW Passat sedan (unbelievable). Another surprise is my insurance is 200 dollars cheaper than my 2003 VW Passat...

It is definitely something for everyone to consider.

They also offer a 1 year Tele Service in case of an accident, the car will send a signal out to the central station. It is sensored with all 6 seats. My children seats very comfortably in all seats.

I have owned a LX 475 before and this one is driven smoothly as the LX 475 which is now about 70K.
    the MB website shows the $8k factory to dealer cash back but does not show the other approx $4k that dealers are discounting (difference between invoice and msrp).

also for the 2007 350, the mb website shows not only a reduced MSRP ($5400 drop from 06 to 07) but also factory to dealer cash of $1540!

so 2006 gets $8k and 2007 effectively gets $7k.

HAS ANYONE CONFIRMED IF THERE IS FACTORY CASH BACK ON THE 2007 500??
    Unless it has changed since yesterday. I have a print out and brought to the dealership. The offer is good until October 2. I will check for you.
    I just view the website now. They changed the offer.
    Try to call your dealership and asked them about the offer I mentioned above since it stated the offer is good until October 2.

I will give you my sales person name if you need to.

Email me with your email address.
    i just found the $12k coupon on walnut creek's website

R discount
    The R is priced so well in comparison that you have to go for it. If you end up with reservations, you can revisit the Honda after only 2 years.
    It's an apples and oranges comparison between the two manufacturers. I can say this, the Honda has more cargo space and moving between the second and third rows is easier. Both vehicles feel big when in reverse.
    The Mercedes is arguably better in all of the other points. 4wd, lower CG, safety, etc. I don't know the mpg of the Honda, but I get as much as 23mpg on the Highway.
    On which MB website did you see the $8k factory to dealer cash? On the Edmunds website under rebates and incentives, they are listing $7000 factory to dealer cash.

I am glad that you found the Mercedes of Walnut Creek $12,000 off MSRP coupons!!
  • cartunrcartunr Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the insight, I'll be leasing the R350 or R500 for my wife, getting rid of her 05 Caravan and my 05 H2. After I get the Mercedes I'll look for something for myself. I like the new CLS 550, but I also like the Corvette Z06.
    sorry, it is $7k. see my hypo breakdown under the leasing discussion.
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Any thoughts or feelings on the R320 which should be out any minute?
    I can't get it in NY but I would.
  • elmer3elmer3 Member Posts: 20
    I cannot find the 7k rebate discussed in this forum. Could someone help me with this. Thanks elmer
    The $7000 is "factory to dealer" cash. It is not a rebate to the retail consumer. You will find this information under Edmunds.com, new cars, incentives and rebates, Mercedes R class. Interestingly, kbb.com does not publish this very vital information. It is the dealer's discretion as to how much he will use to make the deal. In both Southern and Northern California, every dealer that I have dealt is reducing the retail price by that amount, plus anywhere from $6000 to $7000 on top of that, for total discounts off of MSRP in the range of $12,000 to $14,000. If you are a potential lessee, these large discounts off of MSRP set up a great situation wherein your residual value is only a bit more than your selling price, reducing your overall lease costs substantially. Welcome to the new world of car buying and leasing and welcome to Edmunds forum!
  • gtligtli Member Posts: 27
    What does the floor look like underneath? We are about to lease and my wife wants to lease one with a console and then remove it so that it will be easier for my children to get in the back seat. Does this make any sense?
    Are you talking about the R350? If yes, have you test driven it? My children have no problem getting in and out to the back seat of the car. This car is design to fit perfectly for everyone whether they are in the front or the back of the car.
    Yes. You see, we have 4 year old twins, both in booster seats. Flipping the seats forward so our seven year old can get in the back, won't do ( I think. We are going tomorrow to see what happens if we try to flip the seat forwards with a booster seat on it.)

The second row seats when the car is ordered without the console have arm rests that essentially block the "aisle".

The second row seats when ordered with the console have no arm rests. I'm thinking...take out the console and without the armrests there is an 8 or 10 inch "aisle" that our skinny seven year old daughter can sidle through to the back seat.

Does that make any sense?
  • mndmnd Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with access to the 3rd row. Instead of ordering a middle console I was wondering if the arm rests from the second row seats can be removed? Has anyone done this ? and if so how?
    i was planning on doing the same thing, except i think the DVD player is in the console for the dual screen video option 864....can someone confirm???

my alternate plan is no 864 and install visualogic headrests and find a place for an aftermarket player. OR forgo panaramic roof and install a large overhead screen/player.
    I have the Vizualogic dual DVD's and they are better than the OEM set-up from MB. You cant watch two separate DVD's in the MB system, which you can in the Vizualogic. And, installed the Vzualogic was about $800 cheaper than the MB at the time I had it done.
    Went down today and put booster seats in second row. Flipped seat forward with no problem, booster seat sort of folded in half and went right back into place when seat put back.

So, it seems it is a non issue. Just waiting for dealer to find me a black/black R500 from somewhere in CA, none to be had in Las Vegas.