Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I'm with you wt. The new Explorer/Mountaineer is a wonderful blend of strength and safety. And to compare it with a Honda Pilot is as ludicrous as comparing a Ridgeline with an F-150! The Hondas are Crossovers. The Fords are TRUCKS!!! Comparing the two is apples and oranges.

Who else comes close to matching the Explorer in both utility and family-friendliness? How many Pilots do you see pulling a bass boat or even a U-Haul? I've hooked a trailer to our 04 Mountaineer several times and it is always more than capable - even with the V6.

I think Ford has hit another homerun with this new Explorer. My prediction is that if gas prices go back down even a little bit, Ford may well set a sales record with this new Explorer.
  • ilikecars23ilikecars23 Member Posts: 28
    I must say im impressed, although the new explorer photographs well, it looks much nicer in person, the crome grill adds a nice upscale touch, but not looking to wimpy either. Fit and finish is excellent, especially for a suv, paint was flawless, ford is doin an excellent job with their strides in quality and it really shows. I have driven the previous gen. explorer which rode a little stiff, the 06' has a better balance and doesnt feel as stiffly sprung. I was deffinatly impressed at how quiet the interior was, its dead slient, maybe more so than a car, its very suprising. When you start the engine you cant even hear it with the doors closed. Interior was nicely done, this model featured the nav system which was very trick, it speaks the approaching street names. The 6sp auto like all ford transmissions was smooth as silk and very unobtrusive, the V8 was great, although it seems you have to rev it more than i thought was neccessary for normal driving. It doesnt just glide away like some V8's ive driven. But the overall charater of the engine is nice, it makes sophisticated sounds when it does become audible which is very high up in the tach. Steering feel has deffinatly been improved, the exp. feels light on its feet and has a nice on center feel comparable with a good car. If i were in the market for an SUV the exp. would deffinately be high on my list, but im currently awaiting my 06 fusion SEL. but if an suv fits your needs deffinatly give it a look or drive, and i dont see ford having any trouble maintaining its best seller status w/ the exp. it only improves on what made the previous model a hit. :)
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Ford will have a veery tough time selling these SUV's like they used too

Gee, ya think??!! In case you haven't noticed, Honda and Toyota SUV sales have fallen off a cliff, too - Honda still has plenty of '05 Pilots sitting on dealer lots collecting dust while the '06's are sitting in back. Pilot sales are down 26% year-over-year in Honda's latest sales report. The downturn in SUV sales is impacting all carmakers, not just Ford.

As for the "designed for females" remark - whatever that means - that's only "obvious" to you. Nobody in their right mind buys an SUV if MPG is a major concern, so, if the less powerful Honda and Toyota's SUV's would suit you better, then go for it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    ford is not expecting to sell as many explorers as they have in the past(although i am sure they would like to). based on the mpg feedback on the pilot forum, it is pretty similar to the explorer, but it gives up a lot of 4x4nessand can't compete featurewise. the 4runner can't compete with the explorer in space efficiency and features. the explorer is still the best overall design.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The Pilot and Highlander are nice SUV's for people who mostly haul kids and groceries from Wal-Mart and like to sit up high. Those people would be better served in a crossover or a minivan - both which get better MPG than an SUV and usually cost less, too. If you need serious towing and off-roading capability, the Pilot and Highlander are weaker in those areas than the Explorer. The 4Runner is a good "tough" alternative, but smaller in capacity, more expensive and gets poorer MPG (16 with the V8) than the Highlander.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Not to mention the 4Runner has that inconvenient "flip-up" third seat design. It is a nice, tough-built vehicle but the Explorer bests it on all counts (except, pehaps, long term reliability). I drove 'em all (except Durango) and even the '05 Expy, which I bought and got an unbelievable deal on, was best of the bunch. I didn't drive an '06 but I'm sure it's noticably better. The Pilot and Highlander are glorified mini-vans. If you can't even get a factory tow package (ie, Pilot) how tough can it be built?
  • garfeinchargarfeinchar Member Posts: 6
    I get a kick from people who make these grand pronouncements about cars they have never even driven. Yeah - that's what Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Road & Track, Consumer Reports , et. al. do...they go sit in a car for a few minutes, look at the footwells and door handles, and then write a review about how good or bad a car it is. NOT! How about making some effort and drive one? Maybe they'd find out that the new Explorer is actually now both quieter and more powerful than any Honda SUV? Who'd of thought?

And comparing and Explorer with a Pilot ? - get real. The Pilot nice a nice car for your wife, with it's "adequate" V-6 power and minivan-based ride. But the Explorer will out-haul, out-tow and can go many places place your Pilot would get stuck in. That is, if you want a real SUV, not one based on a minivan platform , ala the Pilot. The '06 Explorer interior is largely based on the very successful F-150 series design. It almost too lacey-britches IMO, and maybe that will appeal to the ladies more.

The Pilot and Explorer are really made for two audiences. When the Explorer has a little mud on it, it looks like it's been doing what is was designed for. When the Pilot has mud on it, it just looks dirty -and gosh, what would the neighbors think with a dirty Pilot in your dirveway?!?. Must have driven through a puddle in the Barnes and Noble parking lot!

As someone said earlier, the Pilot is fine car for general driving and weekend trips to the Home Depot, but leave the real work that an SUV was designed for to an Explorer. IF your buying an SUV just to sit up high and look cool, look elsewhere. There are lots of converted mommy-mobiles made to look like SUV's that may appeal to you. The Explorer isn't one of them - although it it still the best selling SUV in history...and now more powerful AND quieter than a Pilot. Gosh darn that Ford!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Exactly. Fords are built so badly - it's incredible how people keep buying them over and over again, isn't it?

I've had 5 of the Explorers since 94, they're so awful.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    In the Fusion discussion, ANT14 says that the 2006 Explorer has lower emissions than the Accord Hybrid. Why isn't Ford advertising the emissions advantage? I am certainly not the only one who would thoroughly enjoy commercials (I watch little TV, so it would be enjoy hearing about them) along the lines of:

1) Explorer in a beautiful clean outdoor scene with a blue sky and a few clouds
    2) Accord Hybrid in a dirty industrial site photo with a smoggy sky
    3) Voice over which asks "Do you want a vehicle with lower emissions? Then asks "Did you know that the new Ford Explorer has lower emissions than the Honda Accord Hybrid?"
    4) Then more about the Explorer
    fsmmcsi, great idea. while we are having some fun... how about this?
    hah sitting in front of a ford explorer in traffic. somewhat dark fumes exiting from the honda, going into the explorer, and exiting the back of the explorer as a lighter color. :)
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Has Ant's claim been validated?
  • wt4000wt4000 Member Posts: 37
    Yes, it is in fact true.

The 06 Explorer is rated at the same low emissions standard as the Ford Hybrid Escape and lower than the Honda Accord Hybrid.
  • cwescapexlt4x4cwescapexlt4x4 Member Posts: 6
    To clarify, it's the V6 that is "cleaner" ... my V8 is nice, but maybe not so ... "Clean" :)
    Does the 2006 have the same 4.0L Cologne V-6 it had before? They got that old man to clean up that much? Must have 30 Catalytic Converters in a series on that boy to do that..... But good for Ford! The Green company...
  • msucarguymsucarguy Member Posts: 1
    I am debating between the Honda Pilot or Explorer. Since we have a family of 4 we need the extra room w/ seating for seven. And it's true my wife won't buy a minivan, so we are debating between these two SUV's.

I like the simplicity of the Pilot options. Ford seems to have so many options, and many of the Explorers come with a sunroof which seemed to cut down on my headroom. The cabin (especially the back seat) made me feel slightly claustrophobic in the Explorer w/ sunroof.

I test drove a Pilot and really liked it. As a big guy, 6' 4", it has plenty of room, more leg room and head room. Very nice. I must say after sitting in the 06 Explorer, the front is comfy, and I like the look of the SUV and chrome. I was not wild about the fake leather on the doors or center console, and the handle on the door was also tough to grab. Maybe after I drive it for a while, I will get used to the handle.

My question is how is the quality of a Ford Explorer? Will it hold up as good as a Honda Pilot?
    I would have to say, "almost". The Explorer is very very good - but Honda is generally more reliable over the long haul. So, if that's the tie breaker, get the Honda. OTOH, the Explorer is a tougher truck than the Honda, has a better 3rd seat and will tow and haul better with less stress on the truck. The Honda is built on the Odessey frame, so it's basically a FWD minivan. The Explorer is a truck, RWD unless you order the 4WD.

So, it depends on what you want - you decide.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    Will it hold up as good as a Honda Pilot?

Just look at how many 10 year old Explorers you see out on the road.

The big issue is going to be what you'll use it for. If it's going to strictly be mom's taxi then just go with what you like the best. (I personally think the Explorer is a much nicer looking vehicle. IMO there is nothing exciting about the Pilot.)

On the other hand, if you think you're going to be pulling a trailer I'd go with the Explorer. BTW, the Explorer with a V8 and tow package can pull two Pilots. One Pilot can't pull another. ;)

Gas mileage might also be a factor to consider. I know the new Explorers are supposed to get better than the older ones, but I don't know how they compare with the Pilot.
    The Freestyle may be worth a look. A very impressive vehicle, and a perfect fit for some situations.
  • cwescapexlt4x4cwescapexlt4x4 Member Posts: 6
    OK ... I got my X last week and now have had it for 2 weekends and 700+ miles.

(Used to have a 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6)

1st off... I LOVE IT!!
    The ride (smooth but firm, not floaty luxo barge), the V8 power, (mileage is better than expected for brand new break-in), space (wow lots of cargo space!), comfort (seats are great and seat heaters!), stereo (full range and a nice bump-bump)....
    Easy to drive and park (reverse sensor is very handy)
    Steering wheel controls AWESOME!!

Needs attention...
    Tailgate rattle at slower speeds (to be completed)
    Over sensitive passenger seat belt (to be completed)

Wish was designed a little different..
    "angle" or bend of turn/wiper stalk (too much bend and too high, but getting used to it).
    Wish the center storage console was a little larger (was in the Escape)
    Garage door opener storage in overhead (with a sunroof, not an option... was in the Escape..)
    Why since the shifter was moved to center console, could the wiper stalk NOT be moved to the right side of steering wheel?

More to come soon....
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    i will agree with what some said in here... if you need to tow, get the explorer, otherwise the pilot should be much better fit. we don't see too many 10 yr old pilots out because honda didn't start making the pilot until 01 or 02 MY. we do however see a lot of 20 yr old honda accords out there.
    "we don't see too many 10 yr old pilots out because honda didn't start making the pilot until 01 or 02 MY. we do however see a lot of 20 yr old honda accords out there."

OTOH, you don't see too many 20 old Explorers out there, because Ford didn't start making the Explorer until 91. You do see a ton of 15 year old Explorers still out there though, and you can't find one in a junkyard. I tried, when I had my 94 with 140,000 miles on it last year. There were none anywhere in the county.
    guess you didn't see why i said that... nevermind...

and about the junkyard thing, no comment on that since I have never needed to look for anything in the junkyard.
    I've always thought the Pilot better suited for just tooling around town or the highway, but wouldn't consider it for anything too "tough". I have also always thought it was the blandest, most generic-looking SUV in this class, however. But looks aren't eveything...the Highlander is also highly rated by many reviewers. But both of these Japanese are minivan/car based, not truck-based platforms. And that does matter when the going gets tough. I'm generally buying into the Ford marketing slogan that the '06 is "the best Explorer ever"...it has many improvements...we'll see.
    Oh, I saw your point, it was just and invalid comparison, IMO. The Explorer has been a smash hit since inception, and this particular hit - is a great truck. My son drove ours over a median full on, blew both front tires, and smashed up the bumper. I put two new tires on it, and tried to get a bumper from a junkyard, which was not available anywhere - the truck ran great, never even needed an alignment, let alone any suspension parts. Now, the Pilot is a nice minivan in SUV clothing. Don't try that experiment with a Pilot, is what I'm saying.
    Luxury V8 AWD.
    Quiet, Outstanding transmission, excellent paint job, (Cashmere) decent ride & handling, excellent fit & finish.

Something that baffles me is the location of the overdrive on/off switch. It is ergonomically AWFUL!! Tomorrow I will make a serious effort to relocate it to a position that doesn't require contortions of my right hand/wrist.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
    congrats! when i test drove the 06 MM, i didn't find anything wrong with the O/D switch. maybe you will get used to it soon enough. :shades:
  • explorer05explorer05 Member Posts: 14
    does anyone have the nav system in the o6? like it? worth the extra cash? can it be retrofitted to an 05?
    How many times did you use it?

How long is your right thumb?
    I have the '06 Nav. system. It's now made by Pioneer. Lots of nice features that make it better than the Denso system I had in my '03 Lincoln LS.

However, one glaring drawback: The tone quality of the voice guidance is atrocious! Sounds tinny, like from the cheapest speakers made. It's very difficult to understand the street name that 'she' announces. It's so cheap sounding that I'm embarrassed to demonstrate the system to friends.

I've driven one other '06 Mountaineer with Nav. Same sound.
  • explorer05explorer05 Member Posts: 14
    so does this system fit in a 05 exp?
    To install the factory unit would require MAJOR rework to the vehicle since it also includes the premium sound system.

I believe the Pioneer aftermarket system is essentially the same: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_3149_269505659,00.html

A bit pricey, eh? I saw it advertized in today's paper for $1695.
    Can't you opt for a male voice on that system, lateral? I should think they would have the option to select which voice you want - maybe Bill Ford is more articulate?
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    where is the switch? how bad a position can it possibly be in?

let me guess - its not on the transmission shifter stalk where it should be?
    Three options:
    English
    Spanish
    French

English is marginally more informative for me than the other two.
    The switch is a 5/8" button located on the left side of the shift lever 3-3/4" below the top.

Try resting your palm on top of a yardstick and see how far down the stick your thumb will reach.

Probably OK for Shaq, but my thumb falls an inch short of even touching the button.

I do have a fix, however.

I can post a couple of photos if someone tells me how.
    Interesting..... Sorry to hear that....
    "Sorry to hear that"

An inadvertent play on words, NV?
    only test drove it once

and when i drive, i don't like to rest my hand on the tranny shifter, whether it's a manual or auto. not saying you do or you don't, just saying it's the way how i drive. and when i need to turn on and off the O/D, i'd just reach for the switch.

but then everyone is diff and of course you're entitled to your opinion. :shades:
    Yup. No doubt.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    The poor button position is just one more reason to go back to the column shifter, at least as an option. They can also fix the door handle position while they are at it.
    I've corrected the button position problem using a tongue depressor & black vinyl tape. Works like a charm, and looks reasonably sanitary. All things considered, I like the floor shifter. No way can they afford to offer column shift as an option.

I like the door release, but one thing I'm confident the engineers didn't consider (but my wife detected immediately) is the inability to control the outward swing of the door once unlatched from the inside. A hand grip in the arm rest would help a lot. (A wood block attached to top of arm rest with drywall screws? Nah; doesn't meet my standards for sanitary.)

We've become acclimated to the location of the handle for closing the door from the inside. Just takes a bit of habit forming.

The 2006 Mountaineer has a few warts, but really is an excellent vehicle and I'm very pleased with it.

About 50 of my first 100 miles were on washboard mountain roads. No rattles before or after. Also, it does an exceptional job of smoothing out the washboard.
  • comancoman Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone purchased an 06 Mountaineer or Explorer with the 6 cyl engine? Have you measured your MPG? How does it compare the EPA spec?

Does the 6 cyl have enough power for the hills and passing? I don't intend to tow anything so I don't really need the lower MPG V8.

Trying to decide between a Pilot and another Mountaineer. My '97 Mountaineer has served me well but at today's gas prices, MPG is a concern. I know that SUVs will never be economy cars but some are better than others.
    Thanks.
    Mine is an 8 cyl. and too early to tell MPG. However, I have some advice: Calculate the annual fuel cost difference for the number of miles you drive. Then decide if the performance and capability difference is worth this amount.
    Yes, lateralg is right - the difference is usually less than your car payment annually..unless you drive a gazillion miles.
    the 3rd seat has taken a big step backwards in function. i lnow it has the powerfold feature now, but it much smaller rhan the 3 row in my '02. i am over 6 feet and can fit it it(the '02). even my kids noticed it. my wife said maybe the 2nd row captains chairs could work, but i doubt it.
    i would have to move up in vehicle size to at least match that feature. looking at plan b if i change vehicles.
  • ilmorilmor Member Posts: 8
    Just today we decided that we are going to purchase a 2006 Mountaineer, after closely examining and reading about every single SUV sold in the US in our price range. The overall package and price, expecially considering the current Ford Smart Pricing, we just don't see how it can be beat. We are looking at the Premiere model, in black. We had narrowed our choices down to a Nissan Pathfinder and a Mitsubishi Endeavor, until we looked over the Mountaineer and Explorer. The Endeavor would have been less costly of course, but then one gives up a lot for that too. And, neither has that beautiful Mustang GT V8 under the hood!! :P The quality of fit and finish of the Mercury was better than the Nissan. I was surprised to see that, as in years past the Japanese makes seemed so much better. We looked at Toyota and Honda SUV's too, but they simply didnt impress as much. The Jeeps are seriously lacking legroom; the Commander legroom is a joke - they should have thrown away the 3rd row idea in that one and just provided decent front and rear legroom. And, in case your curious, I am not a "Ford" guy or anything, I have owned several US and foreign makes and currently drive a Honda Accord, which has been a great car. My other car is a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (I love that thing).
    Also add the $1,200 or so increase in price for the V8 (invoice increase is around $1k). The V-6 should be fine for normal driving as well as passing and power for uphill driving. Base HP is up 30% over the first '92 Explorer V-6 I owned, which I felt was weak in those areas - back then.
    The 8 cyl brings A LOT more to the party than added HP. The 6R transmission is a huge improvement over the 5R55, which is a 3-speed transmission with two overdrives.
    i just posted on the commander thread about the lack of legroom in the second and third rows. it will be interesting to see what kind of constructive response i get. ;)