Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• garfeinchargarfeinchar Member Posts: 6
    I've got the '06 Limited 4x4 with the V8 and about 4500 miles so far. I tow quite a bit and need the added power. MPG is terrible - about 12 city, best highway was 19. Mixed is about 13-15. But that is what I expected - I expense all my gas to my company.

Unless you tow or really NEED the extra power, there is no point in paying more and getting lower MPG. Power is ok if that's a primary concern, but unless you've got money to burn, and don't need the oomph, the 6 should be fine.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    i think the explorer packed on a few pounds for '06. the 6 may not get the mileage it got in the prior year versions. many thought the 'old' v8 did as well or better on gas because it did not have to work as hard. my '02 v8 w/towing is rated at 14-19. i usually get 16-17. have hit the highs and lows, too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    dealer to pick up a Commander brochure, with the intent of driving one after T-day...reading the catalog, I see 3 types of drive trains, Quadra-Trac I, Quadra Drive I and II...reading the catalog descriptions, they are all basically AWD, with some having the choice of a low range...I remember my Dad's CJ5 (yes, I know this is not a CJ5) with a 4WD chassis, but it ran in 2WD until you wanted to engage the 4WD, and then you had the choice of hi or lo range...later, my friend's GM Blazer had a "4WD switch on the fly", meaning you could just engage 4WD with a dashboard switch, rather than jumping out and engaging the Warn hubs...

I want a vehicle with 4WD on the fly, but designed to ride normally in 2WD...I just do not want an AWD vehicle, and the Commander and JGC only offer AWD with their Quadra-whatevers...

Can anybody list for me some of the SUVs that have the type of 4WD I want???...this is frustrating...even the Mountaineer has AWD, not 2/4WD...what gives???...if I wanted AWD I would get an Audi A6...

Does the Explorer offer anything like what I want???anything else???
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I believe the 4 wheel drive Explorers fit your requirements.On the 4WD Explorers you have 3 buttons to choose from. 4x4 Auto, 4x4 Hi, aned 4x4 Lo. The default mode is 4x4 Auto and in that mode the truck is in 2WD until the sensors detect slippage. Once a tire slips, the truck shifts power to the wheels with the most traction.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    The '95 V6 had 160 hp and a 4-speed automatic, the '06 V6 is rated at 210 and has a 5-speed. I got about 15 in the '95 and about 19 in the '06 (XLT 4x4).
    The Explorer 4x4 utilizes the rear wheels only until the AdvanceTrac system adjusts the power distribution to other wheels depending on road conditions and speed/braking.

So,no, it is not full-time AWD.
    Thanks for the responses...now, I understand 4x4 Auto, as it will automatically engage if sensors tell it to do so...

Suppose I have snow in my subdivision...is that where I can set it to 4x4 Hi or Lo, and just start driving in 4WD???...is it also something you can shift into while driving, or do I have to come to a complate stop???

I assume that 4x4 Hi, you can do up to, say 40 mph, and 4x4 Lo is only driven at speeds under 10 mph???

Thanks again...
  • ilmorilmor Member Posts: 8
    The basis Jeep system (Command Trac) is what you want. I think the Liberty and Grand Cherokee still have this as standard equipment. It is a manually engaged system, in 2 wheel drive unless you select 4WD. I have this in my Wrangler Rubicon (awesome vehicle).
    Wow, that is really true. I was interested in the Commander until I get in it. They really screwed it up, and I am a fan of Jeep, having a 2003 Wrangler Rubicon. But, I am also honest and the Commander is a failure in my opinion. They should have provided more rear legroom than the Grand Cherokee and ditched the riduculous 3rd row. What they have now is a large, overweight vehicle with inadequate legroom in every row. We have decided to purchase a Mountaineer because it meets all our requirements for quality, space, power, features, looks, etc., etc.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I think that Commander is an answer to DCX trying to come up with a full size SUV to go against the Tahoe & Expedition. But they built the thing on the Grand
    Cherokee platform, and so, yes, there is inadequate EVERYTHING to really do that job right.

The new Grand Cherokee, IMO, is the best ever. I just drove one last week, and actually liked it better than my Mountaineer. However - you get no 3rd seat, and the Navigation was quite the joke - the worst I've seen yet. Don't know who makes it, but it sucks.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    here's what i dont understand...the commander is basically the same size as the cherokee. couple inches wider, couple inches longer. why didn't the add 8 - 10 inches and make it a usable 3rd seat? a cherokee has limited room. a cherokee with 2 extra inches in length plus a third row seat just doesn't make sense.
    Read this today in a local review...

"...Because the Commander is built with the same distance between the axles as the Grand Cherokee, and is a scant two inches longer over all, the truck's solid rear axle intrudes on passenger space in the way-back.

Even with the third-row seat set so high, the Commander has less legroom than a kindergarten desk. Children's friends can pile into the back for a trip to the mall, but forget any notions of third-row cross-country treks. The ride over dips and potholes is bouncy even in the driver's seat; in the back, it feels like a school bus on speed bumps...
    "

No thanks!
    Wow, sounds like a real mis-fire! I'm surprised, because I'm pretty impressed with the new JGC.....
    according to the experts(my kids), the 2nd and 3rd rows in the commander are compromised. in other words the 2nd row in the commander has less room the than the JGC.
    3rd row in the '06 explorer is not as good as the previous version('02-'05), either. it looks like the explorer and freestyle use the same 3rd row seats.
    Well, the second row was too tight for me, and I'm only 5'11". I think the Explorer still has the best layout in the class.
    I am 6-1 and fit fine in the 3rd row; in fact, it was the most roomy 3rd row of any mid-size SUV I tried. I didnt try a Navigator, Tahoe, or similar but those beasts are just too large overall for my tastes.
    same height as you. i can fit in the 3rd row of my '02 explorer. i did not try the 3rd row of the '06, but my kids who are not as tall, said it had less room.
    the split folding seat might work ok. my kids like having they own row to sit in on long trips. we work the luggage around that.
    We picked up our 2006 Mountaineer Premiere this weekend. Its black w/ black leather interior. Options are 18" wheels, moonroof, adj. pedals, rack cross-bars and cl. III tow package. Price out the door was $31,900 + tax/tag/title. MSRP was $37,725. We absolutely love this vehicle! It is so quiet, smooth and powerful. :P
  • kmannkmann Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying one just like that. Did your's have the navigation system in it? Did you put any money down, and what are your monthly payments? I'm a women and am trying hard not to get messed over, because I don't know what is a reasonable deal. The dealer I'm going through wants to sell me a premiere for $33,000, and it has a navigation system.

I appreciate any help I can get.

THANKS!

KELLY
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Am I allowed to offer forum participants an X-Plan PIN now that Ford no longer compensates employees/retirees for issuing PINs?

It seems that this would be an incentive for people to visit & participate in Edmunds.
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Is it fair to compare the 2006 Ford Explorer Limited to the Nissan Pathfinder and Dodge Durango? I rented both Explorer and Durango. Explorer, I like the vehicle alot pleasant ride, and had no problems with it what so ever. There is one little thing that kind of got me thinking. The gas mileage of highway some what suxed. I expected alot better. The Durango, wow the 5.7 HEMI I mean wow! I like the exterior look which was a plus and the usable 3rd seat I was comfortable, the Explorer I dont remember sitting back there. Back to the Durango I was so shocked to see the Highway mpg alot better then the Explorer. Comfortable ride but alot of wind noise though! And I'm currently trying to rent a Nissan Pathfinder and hope to see which I liked overall! Like all 3 vehicle just wanting to see what you guys thought! Oh and I have attention to look on the Mountaineer, just not my brand!
    Thanks~~~~~~~~Suave
  • cwescapexlt4x4cwescapexlt4x4 Member Posts: 6
    I looked at the Pathfinder, and was considering it until the 06 Explorer came out. The layout, styling, rear seat room and a V8 were reasons i chose the Explorer (Eddie Bauer V8 4x4) and LOVE it. The Pathfinder is nice, rides rougher and does have a strong V6, but personally like the explorer better. Take them all out, try them and decide.
    Funny, I was just thinking of a similar post...I was going to ask the folks about comparing the Explorer to the Durango to the Grand Cherokee/Commander...as much as I write about the arrogant UAW, I am trying to stay within the US makers, as I believe that their products are much better than the junk of the 70s, 80s, and some of the 90s...anyone who has made the comparos can post, of course

What (I think) I know...Durango, full size; Expy, midsize; GC/Comm, smaller than Expy...

Durango/Jeeps available Hemi, Expy 292 HP 4.6L (seems enough for me)

Expy, on demand 4WD; Jeeps same, I think (Quadra Drive?), Durango, 2WD or AWD, no on-demand 4WD (I think)

Durango, almost decent gas mileage, Jeeps always rotten, Expy better than Jeeps...

I lean to Expy ( and maybe the 2007 Santa Fe) because it seems to be like Goldilocks, not too big, not too small, but have not even come close to making up my mind...

Oh, ruled out Mountaineer as either 2WD or AWD...

Heck, maybe I just need a Kenworth and be dome with it...
    I'm curious about the reason for this statement.

"Oh, ruled out Mountaineer as either 2WD or AWD... "
    What I mean is that the Explorer can come with on demand 4WD, hi and lo range, whereas I believe that the Mountaineer has only 2WD or full time AWD...the Durango, while I believe that it has the same arrangement as the Mteer, has as its positive factors full size (if I want to go that big) and a Hemi engine which rocks, IMO...does that help?
    My '06 Mountaineer with advance trac (or whatever it's called) has a selectable third option ... 4WD where all 4 wheels always get power. I believe it's the same as Explorer in terms of on-demend power delivery to all wheels, but lacks the high/low option. The owners' manual warns against using this mode for highway driving.

The 292 HP 4.6 with its drivetrain ratios should be adequate for all but climbing vertical walls.

Are we on the same page regarding the differences?
    Check the Santa Fe closely, and you'll discover though it's a good SUV, with a good warranty, it's heavy, old tech, mileage isn't so great. Not a revolutionary SUV. About as modern as a Chevy Blazer.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

"We did a little math. Turns out the Mountaineer is less expensive and offers more stuff than the Explorer."

Follow-Up Test: 2006 Mercury Mountaineer (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    I recommend that Edmunds reviewers read the owners' manual:

"The system, which is called AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control, uses a gyroscope to sense a roll condition and then applies braking and engine controls as necessary to help the driver regain command of the vehicle. It works, but it seems to come on prematurely, and there's no way to shut it down."

No way to shut down? False. Even the ABS can be shut down.

Have to climb over the second seat to enter the third? (photo included) False. The second seat rotates forward beyond what is shown in the photo.

The credibility of Edmunds' reviews has dropped another notch.

Again: Please at least read the operating instructions before criticizing.
    Thanks for reading the review. :)

Comments and corrections can also be made directly to the editors via Letters to the Editors or use the email address on the byline of the review.

Steve, Host
    I just did, including photos of the 1-2-3 instructions that are clearly visible on the side of the seat. Shame on Edmunds for being critical of a Best-in-class feature that they overlooked.">
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I chose my XLT V8 for much the same reasons, plus the tow pkg/3.73 gears. I drove the Pathfinder and the V6 is very torquey, but to anyone considering the Pathfinder, look closely at the assembly/fit/finish. The one I drove was very sloppily put together- interior panels mis-aligned, several fabric sections not attached properly, and at least 2 rattles on a truck with 20 miles. Totally unexceptable in a 30K vehicle- maybe the one I tested was a "Friday-built car" but it turned me off completely. In addition to the rediculous third seat, able to accomodate up to age 5. Everyone has jumped into the 3rd seat option, but the only mid-size with real usable room I've seen is the Explorer/Moutaineer (and Durango, but that's really a plus-size-mid-size??). And I'm not a Ford fanatic, but in this class vehicle they really do seem best overall.
    nv: thanks for the thoughts on Santa Fe...

OK, listening to you guys gives me doubts on my own logic...am I wrong to want on-demand 4WD, instead of the Mountaineers AWD???...what are YOUR thoughts and musings on which option to get???

lateralg: and thanks for the info on the 3rd option, and I believe it has always been stated that vehicles engaged in 4WD (not AWD) should not be driven at highway speeds...
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I just love it when I'm right! :shades: I believe I explained this very same thing on an earlier post on either this board or the other Explorer/Mtneer Board. When we bought our 04 Mountaineer it was basically because it was like getting an Eddie Bauer Explorer with third row seats and the free center armrest in the second row for no additioanl charge. A savings of about $1000.
    I've done some semi-serious off-roading with my '06 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD. I like the way it automatically directs power to the proper wheels, & brakes the slipping wheel(s) when crawling through gnarly terrain. I haven't yet needed to apply 4WD.

Also, I can't imagine getting into a situation with my $30,000+ vehicle that would require low range 4WD.
    That's today's Nissan, unfortunately. I've seen them with flawed paint jobs on the hood, everything you mentioned, and horror stories on the Titan/Armada.

I've not found an SUV with a better, more efficient design than the Fords have, in either size. The Nissan comes closest, I think, but they still missed. The IRS makes the difference, it seems.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    We also bought a new Mountaineer back in March 2004 with the Luxury trim, v-8 AWD, Moonroof. I couldn't figure out why it seemed all reviews stated that the Mountaineer was a more luxurious and pricier twin of the Explorer. it was a bargain as compared to a Eddie Bauer with the same options.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    Ford's web site talk a lot about all the improved safety features in the 2006 explorer (the roll down side head air bags for instance), but not one word if they increased they roof crush strength from just above the minimum Federal standard of 1.5 the vehicle weight. A salesman checked the sales sheets give to dealers and not a word written about the roof strength; I e-mailed the NHTSA to ask for the roof cruse test data the Ford has to supply by law and they never answered; I've searched the Internet high and low and found nothing.

My only option is, I guess, to buy a 2005 and a 2006 Explorer A-pillers ($80 a piece) and do some strength tests of my own, but I don't know how.
    I doubt that you can buy an A Pillar. $80.00 sounds about right for A Pillar trim.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    the load floor in 2006 is flatter than 2002-2005. the 3rd seat headroom is also down about 2" or so. Is it safe to say they basically raised the lood flor in the batch to match the floor right behind the 2nd row, which used to be higher? or, did the new suspension allow everything to drop, creating the flatter floor?
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    From the pix I've seen, it looks like they adapted the rear seating found in the Freestyle. I don't think the suspension changed very much from the previous model. I'm just glad they made the load floor flatter. I have on occasion had things fall out the back of our 04 Mountaineer that I believe would have stayed put if it hadn't been for the slight incline in the back.
  • tweedietweedie Member Posts: 10
    Has this been removed for 2006?

Or are they on the tach and speedometer like in the Explorer?

Thanks.
  • nantcktnantckt Member Posts: 2
    Am about to pick up a 2006 Explorer. I've never seen this before, but there is a sticker on the driver's door that says they pulled this car from the line for "additional testing", and therefore there are approximately 40 miles on the odometer. Is this normal procedure, and if so, does anyone know what they test?
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    I would not take that Explorer. If its brand new, you should expect a 0 mileage on it! Ask them to ship you another one, after all your the one who payed for it!

As for the additional testing sticker, I have no clue, 1st time hearing about it! Sorry!
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    I don't know either, but I work with electrical equipment and about twice a month a unit is taken from the end of the production line (we make about 40 units a month -- that is about 5% sampling, though I would given Explorer higher production rates they might sample at 0.5%) and additional tests are run to assure quality is supposed to be where you want it. I would not be concerned about it -- I'm glad their doing it; shows maybe they are paying attention to quality. At least for your vehicle you know if passed more tests (if it failed, they would fix it). If what happened to your Explorer is what I think it is, then I am inclined to get one with the additional testing when I buy as soon as I get some more money.

P.S. Edmunds gurus -- any comment?
    Here's a recent thread that may help:

manoftaste, "Land Rover LR3" #3037, 28 Dec 2005 10:33 am

Steve, Host
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    About a year ago, I was browsing a Ford sales lot and every single Focus on that lot (about 5) had a sticker in the window saying that this vehicle was randomly picked for testing. I thought that they reset the odometer back to 0 though.
    Your's was an "M-10" car. The name comes from the license plates that are used during the M-10 drive.

Nearly every night a Resident Engineer pulls a vehicle from the line, or the lot, and drives it home. He/she then fills out an evaluation form which includes items that need to be corrected before shipment.

When I was ar Ford, and a relative or friend had a car on order, I'd contact the Resident Engineer at the plant and request that the car be M-10'd.

You probably have a better-than-average vehicle. And remember, your warranty start mileage is not zero, it's whatever was on the odometer at time of delivery.
    i would think re setting the odometer would be illegal.
    Absolutely. And very tough to do.