Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    Sounds about like the Honda dealer, talk about attitude! I was suprised they didn't try and ask more for the Pilot because we had the nerve to cross shop it. Our Explorer has not been trouble free and we own 3 Fords. I am biased towards Ford more by default. I have owned 1 Chrysler product and 1 GM and both were very bad experiences. Toyota and Honda do not have a vehicle that fits our needs which include usable 2nd and 3rd row seating, decent power and looks, that doesn't cost over 40k.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I searched "Toyota 4runner problems"

Owners of these are not strangers to the service department. There also seems to be issues of unrepairable annoyances ... possibly of more significance than door handles that aren't body color. :shades:
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Search resale value while your at it! :)

Oh....and state if your a Ford employee... you know it's about perspective. Like I had with my '02 Explorer, with the bad leather, rear end whine, bad tranny solenoid, bad power window motor, the plastic body part underneath the rear window that cracked. You know these parts (underneath the rear window) are STILL CRACKING and Ford will not stand behind them even though it's a KNOWN DEFECT if your out of warranty? But it was an XLT with body-color door handles. Now, you can't get them on the XLT. That black matte plastic looks like garbage!
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Member Posts: 16
    I test drove a Eddie Bower 06 Explorer today and was very impressed. Could not find the exact vehicle I want, so I am looking to order. The dealer thought about a month. Anyone have any experiences with order time. Does this time frame sound about right.

Thanks
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    My 2002 Mountaineer had a few initial defects which were quickly corrected under warranty - a defective differential, a scratch in a door, and a pinched fuel tank vent hose. It was also on built fairly early in the production of the new models. After that it went just shy of 100,000 miles with just one problem - the need to replace a $25 idler pully. The dealer did replace the rear glass / or attachments when they replaced the pully, but it had not given me any problems. So my good experience cancel's out chuck1's less optimal experience.

By the way, I have driven 4Runners. The 4Runner does not even have lights on the door-mounted switches, and still has a primative solid rear axle. Anyone who has not driven a 2006 Explorer and a 4Runner back to back is missing out on a night and day comparison, especially if they drive on a good selection of streets, not just sooth new asphalt around the area in which some dealerships are located.
    "By the way, I have driven 4Runners. The 4Runner does not even have lights on the door-mounted switches, and still has a primative solid rear axle."

Yea, your right about the lights on the door, major pet peeve by the wife. And let's talk about the rear axle. It's a known fact that the solid rear axle allows for a suspension set up that has much more wheel/tire travel (up-down) in off road situations. Consequently, the 4Runner has much better off road manners than the Explorer. It is known as one of the best off-road vehicles one can buy. The 4Runner comes standard with skid plates for the motor and gas tank. (Even the 2wd versions.) Hope this helps. Also, I will tell you with the X-Reas suspension on the "Sport model" it handles much better than the Explorer in corners. Do a "google search" and read about the X-Reas setup. It is really unique!
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    My '02 just has about 50k, but it has been in the shop much less than a friends '04 4Runner, or '03 Lexus. Shorter wheelbase vehicles will always perform better off road. Can the 4 runner come close to a Wrangler?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    And let's talk about the rear axle. It's a known fact that the solid rear axle allows for a suspension set up that has much more wheel/tire travel (up-down) in off road situations. Consequently, the 4Runner has much better off road manners than the Explorer. It is known as one of the best off-road vehicles one can buy.

True. But what's the percentage of owners who actually take these things off road up to now? Is it above 10% yet?

"Sport model" it handles much better than the Explorer in corners. Do a "google search" and read about the X-Reas setup. It is really unique!

So is the Explorer's RSC system (unique). I'd rather have that and a slightly worse handling SUV than a sporty handling SUV that doesn't have it. My other car is the fun one anyway.

All of this would be better served in a comparison forum. Do we have one?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Do we have one?

We don't appear to have an active Explorer-4Runner comparison topic.

tidester, host
    It doesn't necessarily have to be Ex vs 4R only. Bring in in the Honda and GM folks too and we can have a big old Edmunds party! ;)

Your call Tidester. Something like this could end up like the CR-V vs Escape thread and I know you know where that stands. :surprise: You know better than I if there would be enough interest in the topic as well.
    How about this one?

Mercedes-Benz M-class vs Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer vs Buick Rendezvous vs Acura MDX

The selection of topics is largely member driven so if you would like to see a particular comparison feel free to start one up!

Something like this could end up like the CR-V vs Escape thread...

<Gulp!>

Don't make me send you home for the rest of the week! ;)

tidester, host
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    If you are seeking a unique comparo topic, why not consider the Mini-Cooper vs Ford F350 Dually Diesel vs Fedex Delivery Van vs Honda GoldWing Motorcycle???

After all, I was torn between these four myself, since they are all so much alike...:):):):):):):)

Hey, cut me a break!!!...here I am at home on a Saturday night, when I could be out dancing and meeting beautiful women...of course, the wife may have something to say about that... :blush::blush:

Bob
    Bob,

LoL! You really DO need to get out more! ;)

tidester, host
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "By the way, I have driven 4Runners. The 4Runner does not even have lights on the door-mounted switches, and still has a primative solid rear axle. Anyone who has not driven a 2006 Explorer and a 4Runner back to back is missing out on a night and day comparison, especially if they drive on a good selection of streets, not just sooth new asphalt around the area in which some dealerships are located."

Well, I currently have 2 Fords and 1 Lexus, so I like both brands, but I have to agree with you on this - I've recently rented an 06 Explorer, and man, was I impressed with the way it drives! It's almost as quiet as my Lexus, and rides nearly as well too. If they fix the interior door panels, which are ghastly, it would be about perfect.
    The 4-Runner has much less headroom, have to take my hat off to drive it, and it's very trucky. Very very trucky.
    Mercedes-Benz M-class vs Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer vs Buick Rendezvous vs Acura MDX

Who was cross-shopping those? :confuse:

Looks like that one died a deserving death anyway.
    Who was cross-shopping those?

I have no idea but the common feature supposedly was that they were all "7 passenger mid-size luxury or near luxury SUVs."

tidester, host
  • rooskierooskie Member Posts: 26
    Our '06 XLT 4x4 just rolled past 7500 miles this weekend - just since January. Took it through the Rockies on a ski trip last month, after an 8" snowfall - flawless performance from the 4WD system.

Absolutely the best SUV I have owned (Chevy, Honda, Toyota, and Jeep)- quieter, smoother, and not a rattle or squeak, as opposed to my '06 Acura that is already going back to have a couple of annoying rattles looked at - after only 2500 miles.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I do try and get out more, but she keeps me tied up, wearing all that leather, striking me repeatedly with whips and chains, only releasing me long enough to post on Edmunds, where I offer my small contributions...

She really is mean...but...Oh, hi, honey, I was just getting off the Internet and Edmunds.com

Bye... ;););) ...the beatings will continue until morale improves...
    "Absolutely the best SUV I have owned (Chevy, Honda, Toyota, and Jeep)- quieter, smoother, and not a rattle or squeak, as opposed to my '06 Acura that is already going back to have a couple of annoying rattles looked at - after only 2500 miles."

Wow, this will make Chuck1 boiling mad.... ;)
    No NV---

I with you...may be the best Explorer built! They just totally BLEW IT on the redesign. Who hired those designers? Let me see - they were all in a room, and they finished up and it's hard to tell the new one from the one it replaces....

They are totally running scared since the Taurus fiasco. The 500 shows it too. However, the Fusion I like.
    Yeah, it's like they can't afford a single mistake, so instead, they make several. Bold, indeed.....
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    the fact that the 06 looks similar to the 02-05 is probably cost. using all the same body panels, you can only differentiate so much.

what i wonder is this, though - they totally redesigned the frame after 4 years, which of course nobody sees, and leave the exterior body panels the same. what am i missing? i cant imagine they needed to redesign the frame to improve the ride -
    "what am i missing? i cant imagine they needed to redesign the frame to improve the ride -"

Despite all the issues my '02 had...I have to agree it rode nice!
    Get this one - my wife's 04 Mountaineer's tailgate wouldn't open. Absolutely stuck shut - had to load everything through the back window. So, got my appt, took it in, the service adviser was stumped - said he's never seen this problem before. Gave me a free Grand Marquis to drive, and kept the car overnight. The next morning he said it was ready, and took so long because the mechanics couldn't get it open, so it went over to the body shop, where they got inside and kicked it open - only to find out the mechanism was just fine - my grand-daughter had poured some green sticky stuff down in there, and literally glued the thing shut!!! I was so embarassed!!

So, they cleaned it all up for me, washed the car. I expected to pay for this, since it wasn't the car's fault, but there was no charge. Not even for the rental.

This is why I've been buying cars at that dealership for 16 years......they appreciate their customers and actually try to help them - even if the customer is a moron and the problem is user error.....

Thought you'd enjoy that story.... :blush:
    Well,
    It's great that there are still some organizations that value their customers and wish to build-long term loyalty. Not charging you for the rental was a class act!!

Now it's good you can send the grand kids home when you get tired of them, or when they glue your car door shut! :);)
    "Now it's good you can send the grand kids home when you get tired of them, or when they glue your car door shut!"

Don't I wish!! Unfortunately - we raise the grand kids....long story.
    I just printed out the 2007 order guide, and it lists the new cup-style door handles in the arm rests. Unfortunately, Edmunds does not have prices up (Moderator - where are they?).

I am leaning towards buying a 2006 Toyota RAV4 V6 or 2008 Freestyle, but every time I drive my wife's C230, I am reminded that I very much prefer real rear wheel drive.

Nvbanker - Thanks you for the story about excellent service from a Ford/L-M dealer, and thanks for raising those grandchildren instead taking the easy way out.
    "thanks for raising those grandchildren instead taking the easy way out."

DITTO!!!!!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds does not have prices up (Moderator - where are they?).

Good question; I see the Sport Trac info is up for '07 so hopefully the Explorer info will be along shortly.

From the Help files:

"We strive to release information on new vehicles as soon as possible. However, we don&#146;t launch pages for new makes or models in the New Vehicles section of our site until we have sufficient information, including the vehicle&#146;s suggested retail price and invoice price.

In some cases, we have information about new makes and models in our Future Vehicles section before they hit our New Vehicles section, so check that too.

For a list of models that have been launched or updated in the New Vehicles section during the past week, look at the What's New page."

Steve, Host
    "and it lists the new cup-style door handles in the arm rests."

What punishment does the guy deserve that designed the old ones?? JUST KIDDING!!
    Actually, I seem to remember that a woman was in charge of the 2006 interior re-design, and her company car should be replaced (for one year) with an old Hyundai Excell.

It would be no surprise if Explorer sales increase slightly because of the new door handles.
    "It would be no surprise if Explorer sales increase slightly because of the new door handles."

Yes, it will be interesting to see if this helps. I think the redesign that isn't - (exterior) is more of an issue.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    If you need off-road capability, go for the RAV4. If you need the interior space, go for the Freestyle.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319
    this is an explorer thread, not 'escape'.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    "Yes, it will be interesting to see if this helps. I think the redesign that isn't - (exterior) is more of an issue."

You're right - though the lousy door panels are a hot topic of discussion by our valets here, the large GM SUVs are flat gorgeous - this from a guy who generally disdains the General. Put the Explorer up against them on that basis, no wonder they are getting ignored.
    nvbanker - I agree that the new GM SUVs, especially the Escalade, look nice on the exterior, but they still have solid rear axles and a lousy 3rd row design, plus very high prices.

Very soon, Ford will be out with the redesigned 2007 Expedition (regular and long versions) and Navigator, the new 2007 Edge and MKX, the redesigned Escape and Mariner, the redesigned Freestyle, the Mazda CX-7, and the Mazda CX-9. With all of those other choices, the small niche left for the Explorer and Mountaineer is people who:

A) Are willing to pay for the fuel;

B) Prefer rear wheel drive; and,

C) Want the easier parking and manuvering provided by a vehicle the size of an Explorer / Mountaineer instead of something larger.

An even smaller sub-set of those people will need the towing and/or off-road capabilities of a vehicle with a separate body and frame.
    "Very soon, Ford will be out with the redesigned 2007 Expedition (regular and long versions) and Navigator, the new 2007 Edge and MKX, the redesigned Escape and Mariner, the redesigned Freestyle, the Mazda CX-7, and the Mazda CX-9"

Mazda - while not extremely daring they are on the right track with their designs. We will have to wait and see what Ford comes up with the Expedition and others. However, Ford will really have to raise the bar to compete with the full-size SUVs from The General with the Expedition. With all the "budget crunching" that is going on over there, I am less than optimistic.
    However, Ford will really have to raise the bar to compete with the full-size SUVs from The General with the Expedition.

I'm pretty sure I read a comparo between the '07 Suburban and a pre-production '07 Expedition in MT a couple of months ago and the Suburban barely beat the Expedition solely based on engine performance. Call me crazy, but 0-60 times that are within a few tenths of each other for two huge SUVs shouldn't matter much to the vast majority of shoppers. So I don't think you're going to see too many Ford or GM buyers jumping to the other side anytime soon.

C'mon Chuck, SRA aside, you still have to pull a heavy third row seat out of the back of the GM's and store it somewhere to use the space. That's so 1980's. :P
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Member Posts: 16
    Yes, GM did a very good job on their exterior design. I looked very hard at the Tahoe before purchasing my 06 E.B. Explorer. The problems with the Tahoe include the four speed transmission. I think that the Explorer six speed transimission has the GM unit beat as far as helping gas mileage. Plus, GM is having a lot of problems producing this vehicle with options such as nav. radio, side airbags, 20" inch wheels, and rear camera. I think that due to penny pinching on GM's part, they way underestimated the demand for these options.
    They do a good job on the outside, but leave the engineering back in the 70's so many times.... Lots of folks don't notice that though, and they do run well - old technology works, the bugs are out. It's been GM's M.O. for years now, and it's still working. The 3rd seat thing though will always be a problem with me. Having had power folding 3rd seat, I could never go back to lifting one out and storing it again. I'll buy the Fords, Nissans and anybody else who has IRS and the folding rear seats - but not GM, Dodge or anybody who has the old fashioned design. 0-60 times are irrelevant to me in these trucks, and the Fords have always had sufficient towing power for my needs, and more.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    are the rear seats in the GM vehicles really removable and not fold-flat?

what a huge mistake.

the GM units will compete on rpice - they will be cheaper than the ford. and i concur that the cost cutting at ford will probably cost ford some.
    Absolutely they are. Their rear axle is still solid, like the Model T was, and their transmission is still a 4 speed - the Nissan has 5, and the Fords have 6 speeds. They look great - but honestly, they are the same old truck the old ones were - nothing much new under the truck.
    "Absolutely they are. Their rear axle is still solid, like the Model T was, and their transmission is still a 4 speed - the Nissan has 5, and the Fords have 6 speeds. They look great - but honestly, they are the same old truck the old ones were - nothing much new under the truck."

I believe they now have cylinder deactivation, and actually are rated at better mpg than the previous generation. The now also ride and handle better than the previous generation.

But the bottom line is this - EVEN WITH A 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION - EVEN WITH THE NON-FOLDABLE THIRD SEAT - EVEN WITH THE OLD MOTORS - the sells are up and the transaction (final) price is up as well. So apparently buyers feel there is something more to pay their hard earned money for.
    One can't say that about the "redesign that isn't" on the Ford Explorer.
    We all know THERE ARE A TON of used Explorers and Suburbans that can be had real cheap if you want to save some money!
    Proving once again, chuck1, that form over function still sells the most cars, right?
    "form over function still sells the most cars, right?"

Agreed! Most people will not even think about a 4 speed tranny vs. a six speed. Or a pushrod vs. OHC motor. Nope, with most people these things are not even a consideration!
    are the rear seats in the GM vehicles really removable and not fold-flat?

See for yourself! This is the '07 Cadillac Escalade from Edmunds' full test BTW. This copy rang the register at over $66k.

And even though I like the looks of the new Escalade better than the new Navigator (which I really hate, BTW, and will not buy), I wouldn't buy the Escalade because of that damn, old fashioned, out of date, ridiculously useless and inferior back seat. I'd get an Infiniti - they have at least figured out how to copy Ford's design and implement it. The Cadillac looks better all over, but function matters to me. Typical GM Form over Function engineering.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319
    other than the c and d pillars being wider, the whole light colored upper portion looks like an exact copy of an '02-05 explorer. probably expedition too.
    love those cadillac front seats, though.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    If the Explorer is "all new", they did a hellova job concealing it from the public.

I like Cadillac seats as well, and several other things about it, including how it looks. The moronic, unfunctional 3rd row though, just makes me furious, and I can't have it. I'd be psycho if I did, every time I had to use it.
    "I'd be psycho if I did, every time I had to use it."

I agree - it's a bad idea. And it doesn't even matter that some of us might not even need to remove it very often....but when you do that's when you break your back!