Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I'll have new info. next Tuesday.

If you get a chance, please get the last 6 digits of a 2006 Mountaineer.

What did you think of what you saw?

I have X-Plan PINs availabe for anyone who is planning on buying a new Ford or L-M product.
  • fordexp2fordexp2 Member Posts: 8
    It is not possible to get too much info. on any vehicle because they are behind a gate. I liked both the Exp. and Mountaineer. The grill on the Mountaineer is pretty much the same, but the tailights are all chrome. There is no red or orange lenses in them. There is also a chrome strip running along the top of the rear bumper that reads "mercury" and it adds a lot to the vehicle. I would love to be able to see the inside of the Exp. or Mountaineer, but from where I was I could not see much of them. Please let me know about the new info. you'll get. What are the benefits of the X-Plan?
    I clicked on this and there is nothing there.
    X-plan prices are 1.5 percent below invoice.

And, no negotiation is required, the dealer is locked in to a price provided by Ford that the buyer can see.. Also, all other rebates still apply.

Re: the Mountaineers behind the gate. Sometimes, the last few digits of the VIN are hand-written in large letters on the windshield or rear window.
    I will look and see about the VIN.
    Does anyone know how to access the "Ordering Guide" from that link from another person. When I open it there is some text followed by a blank screen. All other cars/ suvs work, but not the Explorer.
    If not, could someone e-mail me the file as an attachment. jjcollom@charter.net
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    "no negotiation"...the X-plan price is printed directly on the dealer's paperwork, so they know it when they receive the vehicle...

But, if you are related to a Ford employee, you can receive A-plan, which is cheaper than X-plan, as Ford employees and the relatives can recive a greater discount...but you must be related...

X-plan not only gives you a unnegotiable discount, but all rebates still apply...may also give you a disocunt on extended warranty, another high-profit item for the dealer...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    laterag: how did you order a 2006 Mountaineer. I can not find any ordering guides. I stopped at a dealer yesterday and they told me that they do not have any of the ordering information. Maybe they don't, maybe the people I spoke with did not know, or maybe they just want to sell the 2005 models on their lot. I will try some other dealers when I have the time, but maybe you have a better idea. IF I can find the ordering guide, I will also place an order.

The link several posts ago no longer works. It appears that they have gotten ride of the Explorer ordering guide. I wonder if Ford is making some last minute changes?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    If we use your PIN numbers, are you going to get kickbacks from Ford?

I wish I could get another new car, but I bought a new car already. (had I not bought my I35, I'd probably be staring at a Saab in my driveway instead of an Infiniti)
    Not true.
    I wouldn't call it a "kickback" Ford provides employees and retirees a very modest reward for each vehicle purchased as a result of PINs issued.
    I don't know what's up with your dealer, but I've found that some aren't very ambitious.

I have "VEHICLE ORDER CONFIRMATION" dated 05/26/05.

Since then I received the VIN.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes - there is a new program under which retirees and employees get referral fees, so let's keep that out of the Forums as part of our "no solicitation" policy.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Futur Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Sorry Kirstie, the solicitation issue escaped me.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    you need to 'focus'. :blush:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    speaking of plan pricing. latest GM promotion is employee discount. based on limited data and talking to others, seems that you save only about $1000 on a $37k sticker vehicle with this plan. typically, 3k in rebates and 3k off sticker = $6k, the employee pricing saves you about $7k off sticker. any thoughts on this?
    That is the variable that I cannot figure out yet...is "Employee pricing" really that good???...if they start out at MSRP, and then give you the employee discount, is that better than negotiating from invoice, and then deducting rebates (assuming they still offer rebates)...

Further, is it better to car shop on June 29, to select you vehicle, and return to buy it on June 30, last day of the month???...as we have heard and read, if the dealer is about to break monthly quota and qualify for additional kickbacks from the manufacturer, might they sell you a car cheaper, simply because a $500 loss of your car may result in a $5K or $10K bonus to the entire dealership for meeting monthly quotas???

I wish I knew, but it can't hurt to shop on June 29, and then return on June 30 and see how bad they want to sell you a car, assuming you are ready to buy now...
    The dealer closest to my house, one I have used for service and like, is offering me $145 over invoice to order a 2006 Explorer Limited 4x2 V8 with options 96B (ultimate convenience), 76R (reverse proximity sensors), 21E (side / curtain air bags), 422 (CA emissons), HH (dark cherry exterior), and ZW (black interior).
  • ericzonaericzona Member Posts: 2
    I have my A-Plan pin in hand and was going to take one of the 2005's off a lot here in Az with the $5,000 cash back. When I saw the 2006's, I decided to wait. Does anyone know how to pre-order one and how much they're increasing in price?
    Simply go to a dealer and place the order. They apparently do not yet have the prices, but the dealer I am talking with simply wants $145 over invoice, whatever invoice is. I doubt that the prices will increase, especially given the decline in sales of SUVs.
    I placed the order for my 2006 today. The lady at the deaalership who actually enters the orders typed it into the computer while I was there. She had a color chart wwith small sample chips to show the 2006 colors, so most or all dealers should also have it.
  • ericzonaericzona Member Posts: 2
    Are they the same choices as ' 05?
    No, the new colors are Dark Cherry Clearcoat Metalic and Cashmere Tri-coat Metalic, while Ivory Parchment and Medium Wedgewood Blue have been dropped. If you consult the order guide from the link given in Post 21 here (it once again works), all of this information is listed.

I think that the Dark Cherry will look stunning with all of the chrome (grille, wheels, exterior mirrors, and roof rack) on the Limited.
  • bjohnrinibjohnrini Member Posts: 3
    2004 Mercury Mountaineer

Does anyone know if I have a device (gps unit - RM300) plugged into the power plug and have the unit turned off, does it drain any battery power? there is a green light on the cord of the device that always stays green? I was wondering if this is drawing any power?

Also, does anyone know of anyway to stop the power plug from providing power when the vehicle is turned off? I would rather have my gps turn on when I turn my vehicle on and turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

Thanks
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You can't drain your battery with that appliance left on - plus, your car should have a battery saver that would turn everything off after a specified period of time to prevent battery drain.

No, you can't easily make that plug turn of with the key, and I don't want to. One of the reasons I don't like Toyotas as well, is I can't charge my stuff with the car off in those cars. A serious intervention to the wiring and re-wiring would be required to make that plug inert with the key off.
  • smokie3smokie3 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone seen a price list on the Explorer or Mountaineer yet?
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    :( i guess 4wd isn't offered on the new mountaineers again

i like the 4wd system on the explorer but the new look on the mountaineer... oh well :shades:
    4wd is a feature on the '06 Mountaineer that's equipped with the electronic traction control & related stuff. The electronic set-up menu provides an "AWD Lock" option that applies power to all four wheels, and lights a "4x4" icon on the instrument panel. It has a warning to not drive on highway in this mode.

It only lacks the "high/low" feature. This isn't a big deal for me considering the 292 HP engine, 3.53 rear axle, and 6:1 low gear. :)
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    cool, thanks! i guess that's good news for me! :shades:

i do remember reading in some magazine that the mercury mountaineers were built purposely without the 4wd system used in the explorers to that they couldn't be used off road. with the explorer that i have now (02 xlt v8 4wd) i only have used the high/low feature a few times but it's quite useful, even got me out of trouble a few times :)

i will definitely put the MM on the shopping list when i shop for new cars next year in July or Aug (am also getting either the ford 500, fusion, or saab 9-3 v6).
    So, does that mean that MM is a 2WD rear wheel drive SUV until the switvh is pulled, then it becomes an AWD vehicle, just without Lo/Hi, just now all 4 wheels have pulling power???
    The default mode is AWD where electronics determine which of the four driving wheels get the torque. I BELIEVE that in this mode, it is RWD until rear wheel slippage is detected, then a bias toward the front is introduced. The introduced bias can be left-right as well as front-rear, whatever the stability system determines to be proper for the input it receives from the various sensors.

For serious off-roading, the driver can select locked AWD which applies torque equally to all four wheels. As I mentioned, this is not recommended for highway driving.

I'm writing this from memory from reading a document that's at home ... I'm now away on vacation. So, some of my terminology could be off, but I'm confident of the essence of what I've said.
    "I do remember reading in some magazine that the mercury mountaineers were built purposely without the 4wd system used in the explorers to that they couldn't be used off road. with the explorer that i have now (02 xlt v8 4wd) i only have used the high/low feature a few times but it's quite useful, even got me out of trouble a few times"

Hey, I have had 4 Mountaineers, and have used them off road frequently, very frequently - I have found them to be totally off-road worthy, even in rough terrain. Maybe not a Range Rover, but they have never failed to move me, even in tough situations. The lack of a low-range only takes them off the Jeep trails, for that you need something more perhaps....
    Now, I thought my AWD Mountaineer defaulted to 20% front, and 80% back until a need would change that. Whatever it is, it's a great system - works perfectly for me every time.
    Since 2006 production has started, I wonder if anyone has photos. I have a Limited on order, but the only photos I have seen, including the one Edmunds has, are XLTs.
  • stillenxzstillenxz Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't agree with you more...I am getting my 1st car in a couple of months and was looking forward to getting an explorer...i come from a family where our suv has always been a ford and they ALWAYS had the shifters on the column the space it frees up is great for some reason I definitely prefer it over the other...I guess it feels more like a true truck..though the 06 Explorer sounds great i might have to settle with a end of the line 05 just to keep the tradition going in my family....BTW do u think that once ford re-designs the expedition and excursion (if not discontinued) they will have center shifters as well? cuz then that just leaves mainly GM with column shifters :)
    GM is the last anymore to update anything. If you like column shifters, you'll like that. Of course, you will also have to live with old pushrod engines, live axles, rear seats that must be lifted out and left somewhere to carry anything, recirculating ball steering, all the technology of the 40's and 50's..... That's the GM of today. Yesterday's technology today. I also like column shifts, but will sarifice them for the rest of the innovations the Ford gives me. You get used to it. :P
    I too dislike the loss of storage space, but withhold overall judgement until I see if/how they've compensated.

I prefer the linear gear selection and button detent action of floor shift to the rotary motion and lift detent of the column shift. Gain a little, lose a little.
    It'll be shift by wire also. The new Navigator is. It's a different feeling, not like the Navigator I have now.
    That opens up all kinds of possibilities for hacking. Maybe something like the SST on the Lincoln LS.
  • abhishek1abhishek1 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone seen any new pictures yet?
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    The ford website is full of pics!!
  • abhishek1abhishek1 Member Posts: 6
    The new XLS is pretty ugly but the other ones all look really good. The XLS has way too much plastic which ruins it. Ford probably did this so people would have to get the expensive ones. Also each trim level has a different gril. The interior looks nice also with the two tone colors.
    To me, the interior looks like pure class. That's what I spend most of my time viewing with my vehicle.
    the frame was brand-new in 2002. based on the ford website, they basically make it sound like it was totally re-engineered. doing this after only 4 years seems odd. is this marketing talk, or is it really that new? also, what could they have possibly changed? rumour has it that the load floor is flatter. did they go to all that trouble just for that?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Apparently, they redesigned the frame because the old one wasn't stiff enough.
    it was x% stiffer than the old one. what led them to believe it still wasn't stiff enough? was it an improvement or because of a problem?
    It's a "refinement" of the 02 platform, with several improvements, including even stiffer torsion coefficients. Continuous improvement - Lexus isn't the only company that does this, you know......
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    you: ...what led them to believe it still wasn't stiff enough? was it an improvement or because of a problem?

me: it's just an evil of our marketing culture - suggesting to everyone that what they just bought is inferior or obsolete. Just think of the computer you're using right now, is it weak and slow. Sure it easy!

Continuous improvement as all things in life has good points and bad points - the good being we have fairly good products, the bad being if you like the best, you're always "on the treadmill" chasing after the best.

Now has anyone seen if the Explorer is going to have a locking-rear differential?
    I don't believe that it will. I also don't believe it needs it, given an effective electronic traction control.