Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Sounds functional enough. So far, when using it for decelerating, I just move my hand down the grip slightly, and let my thumb find the button. Almost second nature to me now. But thanks for your idea - in case I need it. Wonder when they will actually fix this issue?
  • Options
    hotvfrhotvfr Member Posts: 4
    Aloha All from Hawaii,
    I've been on the dodge Ram site (my beast)but I'm new to this one. Steve (host), I've read all 608 posts to this site and appreciate everyones input. I'm looking at moving to Oregon and I'm having a new Explorer meeting my wife and I there (Custom ordered) in January. I needed a real (2-speed xfer case) 4X4 because of what I sometimes get myself into. We ended up with the 2007 XLT Ironman with the stereo, nav, sunroof, and DVD for invoice minus whatever rebates they'll have in January. Right now I'm looking at $1000 cash & $500 military in rebates. Can anyone tell me (lateralg) if the rebates will change in Jan and what will they be? Sandman
  • Options
    hotvfrhotvfr Member Posts: 4
    Here's a breakdown of my cost. Does this sound like a good deal? This'll be my first Explorer. I would've got the E.B. but I couldn't get over all that chrome. :confuse: :confuse:

CODE DESCRIPTION MSRP INVOICE

U73 XLT, 4X4, 4.6L V8 28,795 27,182
    G2 Fire Red Metallic NC NC
    998 4.6L V8 NC NC
    44X 6-Speed Auto O/D NC NC

SPECIAL PACKAGES
    96A Convenience Pkg 250 213
    Ironman Package 1,495 1,271
    53G Tow Package 225 192

OPTIONS / UPGRADES
    58Q Navigation System 2,505 2,129
    90C Rear Seat Ent w/ DVD 1,295 1,101
    439 Pwr Moonroof 850 723
    872 3rd row fold-flat seat 845 718
    67C Auxiliary HVAC 675 574
    21E SCACS 560 476
    18P Black Step Bars 375 319
    85B Sirius Satellite Radio 195 166
    63D Pwr Adjust Pdls 150 128
    51D Day Running Lights 45 38
    153 License Plate Bracket NC NC

FACTORY ACCESSORIES
    50M Explorer Splash Guards 80 32

Destination & Delivery 695 695
    Sub- Totals 39,035 35,957
    Oregon DMV Fees N/A 218
    Total Price before rebates 39,035 36,175

CUSTOMER CASH BACK (until 02 Jan 2007) 1,000.00
    MILITARY APPRECIATION (until 02 Jan 2007) 500.00

TOTAL “OUT THE DOOR” PRICE $34,675
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Does KC know you're hanging out here? :shades:

I've read all 608 posts to this site

I think we have a merit badge for that!

Have fun in Oregon; I'm just 40 miles from the OR state line myself. It's going to be odd for you to drive all day and not wind up back where you started, lol.

Check out the Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for deal info.

Rebate news is usually closely guarded to keep people from delaying purchases. Lateralg?
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Sorry, I don't have a good source for that information.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    that certainly is the whole enchillada and an eddie bauer isn't what is used to be. has all the good stuff, v8, moonroof, aux air(great if you use the second and third rows), tow package.
    what is the ironman package?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    pablo56pablo56 Member Posts: 1
    The Expedition has a 2H mode its Control Trac, in addition to Auto 4X4, 4H and 4L. Is the Explorer always in 4X4 Auto mode unless 4H or 4L is selected? In other words, can you select a rear-wheel drive only mode in the Explorer as you can in the Expedition?
  • Options
    pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    My '96 had a RWD, 4H, 4L selection switch, but I believe I remember that starting with the '02 models, like mine, had no RWD and was replaced with 4Auto.

My '06 still has only 4Auto, 4H and 4L.

3800 miles Ky to Va, NC, Ga and Fl. Started out with 400 miles, ended with 4200. I love it-

'06 Dk Blue EB, V8, 18 inch wheels, Lux package. etc. Had to order the upgraded package just to make the EB what it was in the last 2.

nvbanker- welcome back to Explorer country. That was the easiest trip I ever made thanks to the power and ride of the '06 model, do you agree that it really has improved in ride, while seeming to suffer no loss on the handling side?
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I finally completed the installation of the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 with the Bluetooth, XM radio & NavTraffic, and backup camera units, and Cerwin Vega speakers. To see pictures go to

http://www.photobucket.com

and look at the album under my user name - fsmmcsi

Having the shop manuals was essential.
  • Options
    shawn7shawn7 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for this question, but my rental car is a 2006 mountaineer. The rental car clerk couldn't answer my question. What is the button that has a picture of a car, and two squiggly lines behind it. When you push it, the same picture lights up on the instrument panel. I'm driving through a snowstorm tomorrow, and wonder if I'll need that button. Thanks,
  • Options
    That button turns the traction control OFF! The light on the instrument panel comes on when the traction control is doing its job of controlling wheel spin.
  • Options
    the 4-auto defaults to 2wd until needed. it is easy to verify. wet road, upslope, nail the gas. :)
  • Options
    nvbanker- welcome back to Explorer country.

Ah, yes, similar for me. I wasn't really looking for an Explorer, having had Mountaineers since my 94 Explorer. But this one came rolling by, and it was so pretty, well equipped, drove so nicely - and the powerfold 3rd seat cinched the deal. I do agree, it's quieter, drives better, rides better, and performs better than ever. It is amazingly quiet. Sadly, the best Explorer ever, isn't selling like it used to, due to the SUV blues, and I think some styling issues (like those infernal door panels and handles!)..... Anyway, I'm in, and liking it.
  • Options
    rwvtexplrrwvtexplr Member Posts: 6
    I am new to this forum and have read through most every entry. Getting ready to replace my '96 XLT with an '07 and was getting really exciting reading everyone's satisfaction with the '06... that is until I noticed the forum on the down shift problems. Appears there are some problems that are seemingly difficult to get fixed and some are even discussing invoking the lemon law! What is the story?
  • Options
    Everyone - I just added two more photos.

The Crutchfield adapter harness has an orange wire for the IP illumination connection, but the harness in the Explorer does not have a wire in the corresponding slot. The screen was very bright last night, so I realized my error, opened it up today, and connected the orange illumination wire from the AVIC-Z1 to the IP illumination wire on the HVAC controls (blue with brown stripe). Now the screen dims when the lights are on.
  • Options
    I've also been following this forum for quite a while, and don't recall that much of a deal with down shift. Please add a pointer to what you are referring to. Just have 4k so far, but haven't seen the problem yet. Trans. was a little tight for the 1st 1,000, but so far so good.
  • Options
    I have a 2006 Mountaineer 4.6L V8 (6-Speed transmission), with over 13,000 miles. This is the best-shifting automatic transmission I've driven in over 40 years.

If there is a shifting issue, it's very likely that it can be fixed with a PCU (Powertrain Control Module) re-flash ... a simple procedure.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Don't not buy a V8 Explorer or Mtneer over fuel economy concerns, the V8 has comparable economy.

The V8 is basically the Mustang GT engine, only with a cast iron block. It also gets you the Six Speed tranny.

Mark.
  • Options
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f01a3!make=Ford&model=Explorer&e- d_makeindex=.f0f01a3

this is another Ford forum specifically addressing the downshift issue
  • Options
    Right! My V8 Mountaineer gets 21 MPG at steady 70 MPH.
  • Options
    cdcrumbacdcrumba Member Posts: 1
    Having just bought a used 06 Mountaineer, one of my few complaints is - tada! - the door pulls. I don't mind the door latch as bad as the pulls. I see they have fixed this ergonomic nightmare for 07 and it looks like some have looked into replacing their armrests. I supposed this is very expensive?? Does anyone know?

This is the first Ford product I have ever owned (I'm 52), but we won't go into all that history. At any rate, I am very impressed by the ride and solid quietness of this vehicle. So is my wife - after she almost divorced me when I bought this instead of using her deceased father's GM employee discount to get a Trailblazer.

I do have a couple items that concern me however and I do have an appt for the dealer to check them out. First, the transmission seems to shift very hard at times. It feels like a manual shift action. I have the 4.0 V6 and I think that includes the 5 speed transmission, right? I am just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas to contribute. Secondly, it does stumble a bit upon the first cold takeoff of the morning (or whenever). I have asked the dealer to look at this as well.
  • Options
    Have you read through the discussion thread on "downshift problems"? below is the link..

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f01a3!make=Ford&model=Explorer&e- d_makeindex=.f0f01a3
  • Options
    you might want to read the "downshift issues" discussion thread...
  • Options
    I believe this issue is on the six-speed. The V6 has the five-speed.

Shift quality will improve with "training". Once the engine and transmission are thoroughly warmed up ... at least 30 minutes of driving, make several of the shifts that are troublesome to you. (at the same speed and throttle) This should improve the shift quality.
  • Options
    You will quickly adjust to the door pulls, I find its easy to kind of grab as you jump in.

Heaven forbid you are are ever in a sideimpact, but I'm sure that if it happens, your unbroken ribs will thank you.

Mark
  • Options
    Ditto.
  • Options
    panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    2006 Explorer XLT, 4wd V8, leather, heated seats, audiophile sound, rear air, 3rd seat, tow hitch, 16" wheels, Michelin Cross Terrains. Traded a 2004 VW Touareg.

Average mileage is about 15.5 to 16.5 mpg on regular. About 19 to 21 on trips. Definitely nothing to write home about, but the v8 motor is smooth, powerful and is an important part of the fun-to-drive factor for the car. The six speed auto is good, but not great. It could use a little sportier shift program (not too much), and the ability to select gears would be nice. The car is quieter and as smooth to drive as my Touareg was, and a hell of a lot cheaper. The seats and driving position are excellent. The seat heater has only one speed, HI. Handling is definitely not too sporty, but oh so much better than the earlier versions of explorer. Steering is very good, very un-fordlike, from my experiences 30-40 years ago. I find it very agreeable to drive, and I appreciate a sporty car. My other car is a Caddy CTS. The audiophile sound system is worth it if you like music. The heating and air conditioning is good, but I wonder why a $36K sticker price car does not have climate control. It aint rocket science to put climate control on a car. Set it and forget it. Defrost is troublesome at the windshield because of the little hump in the instrument panel. It keeps the wipers icy cause the defrost heat cant get to them. Seems kind of weird for a car that was presumably designed in Detroit where the weather really gets lousy. The door pulls are stupid. I understand that's been taken care of in the 2007 model, but I have not seen one yet. Could be as simple as putting a little groove in the armrest to grab onto to close the door. Watch out in the wind. Theres nothing to grab onto when you open or close the door. I absolutely hate the seatbelt chimes but all cars have them now. When I am off-road (for work) I am in and out of the car alot, and it would be nice not to have to wear the belt. Nannyism is not my bag.

I live in snow country and like to go off-road. Because the auto 4wd clunks into 4wd every time a wheel slips, it is kind of annoying. My recommendation is when it is slippery, just keep it in 4wd hi and leave it. I also do not really appreciate the stability control (it is very intrusive in snow), so I turn it off. It might appeal to the timid drivers, but as a well-trained, old-school driver, it pisses me off. That said, I'm still not a complete devotee of anti-lock brakes, but there's not much I can do about that. The brakes are pretty good, no complaints.

This is not a Jeep. Ground clearance is poor, as is approach angle front and rear. Keep the 4-wheeling to easy stuff. Too bad because the motor is really very tractable and controllable. The Michelin cross terrains are good tires, I would choose them over the others that seem to come on explorers. Kind of wish I had the 17 inch wheels, but I can live without them. We've never used the 3rd row seat, I've never even seen it. What a waste of $900. The rear heater will light your fire. If you are tall, forget the sunroof.

It's a company car, it had to be a Ford, and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Overall, thumbs up. It is definitely more comfortable and nicer to drive than an Expedition. It has never been back to the dealer, although someday I will talk to them about the clunkiness of the auto 4wd system when it senses slip. Seems awfully crude. I've had lots of 4wds that were less obtusive when they kicked in.

I can see why Ford is in trouble. They dont give these things away (although we got $7k off sticker), and for the money there should be a few more features and less stupid stuff like the armrests and windshield defroster. Every Explorer on the lot was packed with 3rd row seat and rear air/heat. Neither item is too essential. If you need a minivan, buy one, you will be better served. I would have rather they spent that money making the rest of the car perfect, and I would have gladly spent it.
  • Options
    thanks for the comprehensive review.
    i have an '02 model.
    i think the 4wd keeps kicking in because of the michelin tires. they make no noise, but are not grippy in bad weather. mine replaced the noisy, rough goodyears it came with. the goodyears never slipped or hydroplaned. can't say the same for the michelins. i had to dial my driving back a bit in bad weather. overall, i like the michelins because they are silent and smooth, although the ride is squishier and they don't have the driving feel of the goodyears.

i prefer rwd, but needed 3 rows of seats. any minivans fit that bill?

if you check the owner's manual, there might be directions for disabling the 'belt minder'. i'm guessing you are referring to the continuous ding-ding that starts after 15 seconds or so. it's worth a look.
  • Options
    "the ability to select gears would be nice."

It's there, and it is nice. Any gear can be manually selected. Starting from rest can be done in 1-st 2-nd, or 3-rd.

The O/D can be turned off. Manual downshift to any gear that won't over-speed the engine can be easily done.

I need help understanding your comment.
  • Options
    There are six speeds in the transmission. Yes, you can start out in 1, 2 or 3, and you can downshift to them. Also, you can block out 6th with the o/d button. However, you cannot run through the gears sequentially (except for 1,2,3) and hold them, nor can you manually downshift through the gears, nor can you select any gear and hold it, except for the first three, kind-of. It's not a big deal, but for a couple of dollars, Ford could have put in the hardware/software to do this. The rest of the car world is doing it. I would have gladly traded the chrome-plated plastic grill for it.
  • Options
    No, the clunking is clearly the front axle hooking up in a slip situation. I've had lots of experience with that through the 30 inches of new snow we have been driving through for the past few days. The vehicle has handled the snow very well. Really, I have no complaints with the way the Michelins handle in any weather or situation. They are not off-road tires, but then again the Explorer is not much of an off-road truck.

I too prefer rwd. It's just that minivans give you more room inside for the amount of real estate they take up. Also, they are much easier to load (live) bodies into. If three rows, rear drive and the ability to carry seven is important, I would definitely look at the next larger size vehicle, the class of which is currently the Tahoe/Suburban.

I'll check on disbling the ding, but I have my doubts that's possible.
  • Options
    "However, you cannot run through the gears sequentially (except for 1,2,3) and hold them"

Make that 1,2,3,&4. I fail to see any advantage to going beyond this. I have over a year's use on my Mountaineer, including off-roading and 4,000 miles of towing a 5,000# travel trailer. I've yet to see a need for more manual gear selection than what is provided.

By the way, the O/D button blocks out both 5-th and 6-th, the two overdrive gears. 4-th gear is direct.
  • Options
    wesleydmawesleydma Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about going the other way - from a 2002 explorer to a v8 Touareg. Which one do you think is better?
  • Options
    pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    My wife and I ordered a 2007 EB Explorer to replace our '04 Mountianeer. We opted for the seats with the suede inserts because it provides a surface that feels more like cloth (neither one of us care for leather/pleather).
    My concern is the "care" needed to keep these looking good. With the suede insert, you don't get an option on color and the suede insert is a very light-colored material which makes me a little worried about how it's going to look a year from now.
    If you have these seats, please share your experience with how they are holding up, if you have had to clean them, or if you found something to 'treat' them with to protect them from getting dirty that works well.
    I'm hoping that we're worried about nothing. But that light, non-smooth surface, looks like it won't take long to look filthy.
    Thanks!
    Pete
  • Options
    I fail to see the fascination with the Tow-rag myself, but people seem to like 'em. However, I would advise ya to check the Edmunds forums on Touareg problems first - they are a nightmare of a car, like most VWs. Nobody ever buys a second one.
  • Options
    Suede is not intended to look "brand new" after it's broke in. These inserts are intended to "wear in" as used, and they get just so dirty under normal use, which is supposed to be very "attractive".

You can use a suede dry cleaning solution on it, but it won't ever look like it does new. It's not intended to.
  • Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    That's what ext. warranties are there for.

Interestingly enough, the same vehicle(Porsche Cayenne) has little to no probs. How so? The same could be said about the Mountaineer over the Explorer.

I was interested in an '07 Explorer but passed it up on a new Chrysler Aspen as our Jeep Commander was totaled two weeks ago by, you guessed it, a self-distracted driver on the cell phone.

Pound for pound, the $44k Explorer Limited 4.6L V8 4X4 was not as appealing as the $41k Chrysler Aspen LTD HEMI 4X4. It just did not fit the bill, and the final tab of $37.5k also did little to entice me as I paid $35k for the much more roomier fully luxed-out Aspen.

But the Explorer does appeal to many, but that number is decreasing rapidly as witnessed by the Explorer's rather tepid sales numbers of late, may lend credence as to why it lost it's #1 moniker.

I personally like the Explorer as it does most things right. They finally fixed the arm rest fiasco and the interior materials are a huge step up from the '02-'05 models. Had the price been right, I may had been talking a different tune.
  • Options
    but that number is decreasing rapidly as witnessed by the Explorer's rather tepid sales numbers of late,

I'll still stack the Explorer sales up against the Jeep Commander and Chrysler Aspen sales combined, if you want to make a point about desireability.

The Chryslers/Dodges are always cheaper than the GMs and Fords it seems. Compare a Durango with an Expedition, same thing. Yet, the Durango has all the same stuff in it. They just go for thousands less. Yes, they have drum brakes in the back, a live axle, but they have DOD, which gets you up to 2 mpg more on level ground. It's all in what you like.

I think the biggest Explorer killer in 06 was the lousy door panel. I'd fire the engineer who designed that faster than Donald Trump. But, there are a lot more SUVs on the market now than ever before, making it more difficult to make that #1 number every year.

I'm sure the Aspen is a great truck, based upon what it's made from. However, couldn't they have found a better name for it than "Aspen"? Because too many of us remember the Aspen/Volare twins of the 70's that started actually rusting on the showroom floor.....MISERABLE cars.....
    I couldn't own an Aspen......just couldn't. :sick:
  • Options
    I could go on for hours on the subject, but I won't. If you appreciate German cars, and understand their issues, mainly to do with high maintenance costs and dependence on computers and high tech stuff that are prone to glitches, go for it. You will get a vehicle that handles everything with comfort, speed, and grace. I loved my Touareg (a V6) but VW does not care for their owners nearly as much as Lexus and other customer-oriented manufacturers (not Ford). You will pay big bucks for a vehicle that depreciates rapidly. There is no other car on the road like it. Despite what their owners might tell you, the Touareg is every bit as good and nice as a Porsche Cayenne and a hell of lot cheaper. Looks better in my opinion. Two months after I sold my Touareg, I find that VW now offers a pre-paid maintenance contract for either 3 or 4 years. Based on my experience, I think that would be a good idea. Read up on the Touareg site, although most of the bitching you will see is about 2004 models, as I had. Back to comparison, the Explorer and Touareg are completely different approaches to SUV. If you want an American vehicle with decent utility and room, the Explorer is a good choice; you may want to look at all the other choices out there too. As I've said before, the Explorer goes off-road, but ground clearance is not too good. If you want a sporty SUV that will actually tow a big boat and go off-road, the Touareg is pretty much it. If towing or off-road is not important, you may want to look at the BMW's and Infinity. The new Tahoe is pretty nice too, not very sporty, but will tow and go off-road. If you go with a Touareg, make sure the dealer is going to be there for you. You will get to know your service writer on first name basis. The little things like making sure you have a loaner or rental, communication, etc are important with VW ownership.
  • Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    "I'm sure the Aspen is a great truck, based upon what it's made from. However, couldn't the have found a better namer for it than "Aspen"."

I asked myself that the first time I saw it. I went, Aspen? Not to fond memeries.

But the truck is an awesome piece of machinery. It's bascially all in a league it's own. Smaller than the Expedition(exterior only as the 112cu.ft of interior cargo capacity ups the Expeditions 108, and also Tahoes) but bigger than the Explorer/JGC/TrailBlazer. It rides argueably better than them all due in fact to higher weight. And judging from the awesome fit/finish of the Durango, the Aspen should do just as well.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Quote: "I'd fire the engineer who designed that faster than Donald Trump"

Why would you fire Donald Trump for the armrest fiasco???

Heh, heh, heh, heh.....:):):):):)

Sorry, had a few minutes to kill, and you seemed like the one to pick on... :P ;)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'd fire the engineer who designed that faster than Donald Trump.

I understand that Mr. Trump is into giving people second chances these days. :D

tidester, host
  • Options
    Oh, that's funny!!! Well, I wouldn't. And I'd fire the whole committee that let that door panel get into production - it is the most assinine thing I've seen in decades - and it's so ridiculous because the Explorer has always had one of the most ergonomically correct cabin around - this thing should actually be recalled IMO.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Only if you are female, beautiful, sexy, and young...

If she looked like Helen Thomas of the White House Press Corp, she might be wearing cement overshoes, never to be heard from again...

Actually, back in 1994, in the movie True Lies, when the terrorist from the Islamic Jihad was hanging from the Harrier side-mounted missle, Arnold says, just before launch, "You're Fired"...beat Trump by almost a decade...
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Only if you are female, beautiful, sexy, and young...

Unfortunately, we don't have a physical desrcription of the engineer. ;)

tidester, host
  • Options
    You are only annoyed with it because it is different. If you had a chance to get used to it, you won't notice it.

Incidentally, if you were ever in a side impact and had your ribs cracked by a hard plastic door handle I bet you would run to the court house to sue Ford for putting the handle where it could crack your ribs.

Mark.
  • Options
    I read elsewhere that Ford showed employees a next Explorer based on a Volvo vehicle. I wonder if that is the XC-90, or more properly, the next generation XC-90 based on the upcoming next generation S-80? If Ford is reading - a V8, rear wheel drive, and an independent rear suspension are my requirements for any and all future vehicle purchases (perhaps a super or turbo-charged 4 would be OK, as in teh C230 we now own, but the V8 is really best).
  • Options
    I've owned and driven a lot of different cars and trucks over 35 years. Never had anything with a door handle this stupid. My ribs could be whacked very efficiently by the armrest as it sits, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. If they had simply put a deep finger groove in the armrest for "grab-ability", that would keep me from complaining about the almost useless door handle. There's no way I will get used to it, I just won't be able to use it. I'm 6'4" with ape arms and I still can't reach it comfortably. I'm quite sure there is an elegant solution that would keep the product liability attorneys from preying on poor Ford for a few cracked ribs.

I agree with a previous poster; If Ford really wanted to make some points with people, they should offer all of us 2006 owners new door panel assemblies. In my business, admitting a mistake and making it right nearly always cements a customer for life. As I said before, this is a pretty satisfying SUV on most other counts.
  • Options
    I'll second that emotion. 4mos and 4,000 miles later, it is the only thing I dislike. I love the rest, by far the best of my 3 explorers to date, and the 1st 2 were great. I drove the '07 first, and the recess in the armrest made all the difference in the world. I like the door handle fine, and the grab bar is pretty much useless. I bet they could even come up with a kit allowing the recessed cup to be fit in the existing armrest without too much trouble.

BTW- bought the '06 because at the time it had 0% and the '07 did not.
  • Options
    I don't blame you for taking the deal on an '06 instead of the '07. I would too; actually I did. I guess I was not as specific as I should have been in my last post. The handle that opens the door is odd, but OK, the armrest is good, but the door pull is stupid. It actually intrudes a little on the side of my left shin at times. Good motoring.