Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• sacmtnrsacmtnr Member Posts: 15
    Just returned from a trip to Florida from Northern Virginia. I was curious what the mileage for the entire trip might be so I didn't reset the mileage tracker until we returned home. The trip covered approximately 1900 miles. About 1400 of these were highway, with the rest being just general sight seeing and quite a bit of beach driving (aprox. 60 miles). Also sat in one highway backup on the way home where we only traveled about 5 miles in 2 hours. The total average mileage was 20.8. I was actually very surprised it was that high. I would have expected that for just the highway part of the trip. Will also mention that the vehicle always had 4 people in it.

A note on the transmission issues with the 6 speed, it's been about a month since I had the latest flash update (from late November/ early December actually) done and it still seems to be shifting slightly better. Like I said in an earlier post, it's not perfect but the latest update did seem to make it a little better so might be worth a try for those of you that haven't done it yet.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Good report. Thanks for the update.

While the tranny issues, minor and isolated as they seem to be, make be glad we went with the V6 in our '06 Explorer I think we'll get the V8 if we get a Mountaineer next year when the leas is up. Our best highway mileage came last Summer on a trip from Pittsburgh to the OBX where we averaged just under 22 mpg. Seeing that the V8 gets similar mileage it would be worth the extra $$ just to have the extra power. The hills around here make the V8 slightly strained at times.
    There is definitely a big difference from the V6 to the V8. A friend of mine has an 06 Explorer with the V6 and when I drove that it was easy to see that it wouldn't take much to put a strain on it. Short of trying to pull your house down the street, there is not much that would stress out the V8. I have pulled an enclosed motorcycle trailer (800lb motorcycle inside) and the only way you can tell it's back there is because you can't see out of the rearview mirror. Power and passing speed is very impressive. In my opinion V8 is the only choice.
  • allieoop1allieoop1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 V6 Mountaineer with 43000 miles on it. Since my first oil change at 3,000 miles the car has had what I call a "flutter" that lasts from about 30 mph to 50 mph whenever I'm accelerating. It sounds similar to the sound you get when you put a playing card in the spoke of a bicycle tire. I've complained about it to the dealer every 3000 miles when I take the car in for oil changes but they haven't been able to figure out the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Were you able to get it fixed?

Thanks
  • gldnbr2gldnbr2 Member Posts: 16
    I just returned from a trip from Chicago to Memphis and back and I did average slightly under 21 mpg on the highway. I thought this was good for the V8.

I have pulled a 3100 lbs trailer with this Mountaineer and found the V8 more than capable of handling that weight.

As for the transmission, after the November flash it has worked better, but not perfect. Too bad this problem has left such a sour note with me towards Ford Motor Company's ability to recognize and admit there is a problem and satisfy their loyal customers.
    There is definitely a big difference from the V6 to the V8.

I actually did drive my father-in-law's '06 EB V8 up and down a couple of side streets once. The power difference was noticeable but his gas mileage was pretty poor compared to what others get. I've rode with him so I'm 100% sure that discrepancy was due to his driving style. He drives like my wife, who is the primary driver of our family hauler, so that kind of worries me. She'll be getting the minimum EPA rating or less no doubt.
  • consumerightsconsumerights Member Posts: 4
    Hi, Did you ever get your problem with your Explorer resolved? I have an 06 Explorer that hesitates and lunges too. No one seems to know how to fix it and we are trying a different dealership to see if their mechanics are any better.

My Explorer hesitates, lunges and shakes. It happens sporadically, however the mechanics have acknowledged the problem and tried to fix it via computer codes and replacement of the throttle body...twice within the warranty of the part.

Please let me know what steps you took to get your car fixed or if it wasn't fixable. My car has been back numerous times for the same issue. The diagnosis is always the same thing...computer codes or not having the correct computer codes. If anyone else has had the same issues, please contact me.
  • dave1309dave1309 Member Posts: 16
    Yes I did get the problem resolved for now (feel like I should knock on wood) from the dealership. First time was to reflash the codes. Second time a new TSB came out and the dealership replaced the valve body with a new one that had some changes made to it along with replacing the filter and fluid. The TSB also contained another, newer, code flash that seemed to make the difference. Before I left the dealership the mechanic did advise me that he removed all the stored memory from the adaptive learning module. He said it may act up again briefly but his suggestion was to drive it about 50 miles (round trip to a small town near me and back) and that should reset everything.

I did as he advised and have not had any problems since ro maybe I should say so far. As a result of this problem I purchased an extended warranty just in case and I've never had to do that before.

Everything the dealership did was under warranty and didn't cost me a dime. Guess I was lucky that the dealer was willing to go the extra mile and the service guy told me up front the first time I was in that they had been seeing this type of problem frequently. He said Ford was supposed to be working on the problem and a new TSB was coming out along with a redesigned valve body (the one I mentioned earlier).

Good Luck trying to get it resolved.
  • dayday1111dayday1111 Member Posts: 1
    hi i own 2006 mercury mountaineer awd v8 when i come to stop my transmission kicks hard in to gear like i have been hit from behind does anyone have any fixes for this
  • gsharrowgsharrow Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know of any extension towing mirrors I can get for my 06 Mountaineer?
  • RPOHOUTXRPOHOUTX Member Posts: 1
    how many people have had the problem with the od light coming on, the message transmission light comes on, transmission slips, up shifts, then it just started slipping, i had only 88,000+ miles on vehicle, transmission was checked and had to be rebuilt, there was a a bad design somewhere, when a piece of equipment wont even last 100,000 miles, it just gives you doubts about ford products. all maintenance work was kept up through ford dealership.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    What engine and transmission does the Mountaineer have? It is hard for me to have doubts about (all?) Ford products because your (one) Mountaineer has a problem. I've had Ford products that gave me wonderful service and some that weren't so great, but I never thought that I could make a blanket statement about all Ford products.
  • camatt1camatt1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking at an '07 Ford Explorer (4WD) in the V8 & wondered what are some
    of the problems associated with this years model,...especially from current owner's
    out there. My impressions is that the '06 experienced more reliability issues than
    the '07 Explorer but I don't have an factual data or knowledge if that's true, especially
    involving the transmission. Any comments regarding reliability, what to look out for
    and if the '07 Explorer SUV (4WD) V8 is a good vehicle to pursue in the "used"
    marketplace? Anyone recently purchased one, in the Eddie Bauer Trim, and
    what was the final deal price?
    There are many nice things that I like about the 06 Mountaineer, but I would not buy another used or new. The transmission in the 06 is horrible. From nearly day one through today it slips and hesitates at slow speeds. It takes a second or more to engage which can be dangerous if you need sudden acceleration. the transmission also suffered an astounding problem of clunking when slowing down to a stop. It felt as if the vehicle was struck from behind. After over a year Ford came out with a fix that has actually limited this problem. My mountaineer still will clunk on a rare occasion, but luckily much more minor then before. Many other aspects of this vehicle are exceptional. If deciding to buy be sure the transmission has had the latest fix for the transmission. I would test drive by slowing down to nearly a stop and then re-applying aggressively the accelerator to see if the transmission lags and doesn't engage quickly and smoothly. There should also be no feeling of a jerk or clunk. Good luck.
    It takes a second or more to engage which can be dangerous if you need sudden acceleration. the transmission also suffered an astounding problem of clunking when slowing down to a stop. It felt as if the vehicle was struck from behind.

Like you said there is a software fix for this from Ford. Most who have had it done seem to think it did the trick.

There's a good explanation of the problem by a Ford engineer somewhere on a Ford forum I frequent. It's not a problem with the transmission exactly but rather a side-effect of the new tranny design. Something about it not using a clutch pack or something like that. It wasn't intended and is, IIRC, inherent to the design. I believe the software update changes the shfting algorithm enough to smooth that "bump" feeling which is supposedly not harmful to the tranny at all.

I have an '06 V6 with the 5-speed tranny and it's as smooth as butter so far. However the V8 does get slightly better FE and has a lot more power if you can live with the "bump" or have it fixed and live without it.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    My 2006 Explorer EB V8 with rear wheel drive has 52,000 miles on it and has been a wonderful vehicle. It is a work vehicle, and has no third row seat and no factory subwoofer, thus making the rear storage area wide enough for my 15' Little Giant ladder and various tools and supplies used for inspecting and testing for toxic / hazardous materials. I installed an pioneer AVIC-Z1 navigation and sound system, with XM, XM Navtraffic, Bluetooth for wireless cell phone use, and a rear view camera, plus four speakers, just after I bought it.

When I destroyed one of the factory tires, I replaced the factory tires with the excellent Pirelli Scorpion STRa tires, a substantial improvement.

All of the negative comments regarding the transmission really seem to eb comments regarding specific dealer mechanics. My 2006 EB V8 had a problem with a rough downshift to first when coming to a stop, but it did not bother me much. I only had it fixed just before the warrantly expired to take advantage of the free service. The mechanic at Santa Margarita ford kept it for several days, and took it apart twice to get it right.

I lock and unlock the doors many times on a typical day, so was not surprised when the power lock on the driver's door failed last week. I removed the door latch on Saturday, dismantled it Sunday, found a small gear worn at one end, flipped the gear on its shaft, and lubricated the mechanism. It should bb good for another 50,000 miles..
    My 2006 EB V8 had a problem with a rough downshift to first when coming to a stop, but it did not bother me much.

That's the one everyone is talking about. I'm not sure why your dealer was taking the tranny apart because there is a software fix for it. They should be able to take care of it in less than an hour.
    Have to agree with Baggs.

I had the same problem and the fix was two stage. First time a new code was released to flash the system but I still had problems. Second time (several weeks later) another new code was released along with replacing something called a Valve Body that evidently had a new design.
    After the second trip the mechanic told me he cleaned out all the adaptive learning memory and suggested I drive it normally for 50 miles (short trip down the highway) and give it a few miles to readjust. First five miles it had some mild shift problems then it seemed to adjust and have not had any problems since.
    Lucky for me this was all under warranty however I did buy an extended warranty just in case.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    My sister has an '04 Explorer XLT and the exterior panel (plastic, I think) located between the rear hach glass and the license plate recently cacked into two pieces! Since that happened, I've spotted at least four other Explorers with the same broken panel...so I'm guessing this isn't an isolate incident?

Does anyone else know about this issue or perhaps you've experienced the same problem? I'd love to find out that Ford will replace it (even though the warranty is long gone), but I'm wondering if it was a defective part altogether that they should be paying to replace?

Any advice will be appreciated!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    I've read about your cracked hatch problem before. IIRC, Ford does not fix that under warranty unfortunately. Others have stated they had to pay for it out of pocket. That's not to say you can't try if you still have some kind of warranty working for you though. I've only read about it a few times.
  • bernie19bernie19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with the same problem. I took it to the dealer and was told [non-permissible content removed] was a design problem. Dealer repaired with no cost to me.
    When did they repair it at no cost to you? I'm just wondering if Ford finally realized what was going on and decided to pay now. I wonder if they are reimbursing those who did pay previously?
  • jdhjdh Member Posts: 19
    I am considering buying used 2008 explorer ltd. Vehicle has 18" tires and do not know how they will do in snow compared to 17" tires. Can anyone give me any info on this.
    Jack
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    My '06 EB 4WD has 18 inch tires, and other than the cost to replace, I have had no problems with them. The wife hit a curb at about 5,000 and the one tire was close to $200. I'm hoping they have come down some since I'll have to look for a new set in about 10k.

They were gret this winter in snow and ice, and it was a worse than average winter.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    this looked like an oversized taurus x... i was hoping the new explorer isn't going to be like this. i saw a photo in car and driver mag of the 2011 explorer and i liked that much better.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe they got their test mules mixed up. :)
  • jdhjdh Member Posts: 19
    has anyone tried to pair a pantec breeze cell phone to their 2008 ford explorer.

jack
    I have a 2007 Mountaineer and it's about ready for new tires. It came with Michelin Cross Terrains and they have been a great tire. I have been told by Michelin that they are being phased out and replaced by the Michelin Latitude Tour. However, you cannot get the Tour in the 235-65-18 size. It is available in the 245-60-18 size which is extremely close in overall dimensions to the 235's and is in fact almost exactly the same overall dimensions as the standard size (18's are optional) 245-65-17's that come on Mountaineer's and Explorer's. Was just wondering if anyone else has opted for the 245-60-18's and if so how do they like them. I have heard very good things about the Latitude Tour but was just wondering if there was a specific reason it didn't come in the optional Explorer and Mountaineer sizes.
  • skthomeskthome Member Posts: 1
    I am hoping you can help me as I also have a ford explorer 2006 that has the same problem (you described it well). I bought it used and it has 72k miles. Do you know what they did to fix yours?
    Steve
    The Ford or Mercury dealerships have a "flash" fix for the transmission. It's some type of computer download that they install onto the computer on your vehicle. I think they have finally figured the correct download to help reduced the transmission issue. I know longer own the 06 Mountaineer, but the last "flash" that was done on it, seemed to make it work better. Good luck!
    Same for mine when I had a 2006. Dealer reflashed the codes twice and replaced the valve body on the transmission. Was still under warranty so no cost to me. Shop mechanic said he cleared the adaptive learning module and told me to drive it for 20 miles or so at different speeds etc. Had no further problems after that.
  • lorchanianlorchanian Member Posts: 12
    I have 2007 Mountaineer also and tire rack has both Michilin Tires for the Mountaineer, the Lattitude and the Cross Terrain. So I would get the one I'm most comfortable with and you don't have to worry about switching sizes.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    edited October 2010
    My 2006 Explorer EB V8 RWD continues to be trouble-free. It now has 99,061 miles on it.

At 88,205 miles I replaced the worn-out Pirelli Scopion STR-A tires with Pirelli Scorpion STR tires. Shortly thereafter, I had it aligned, and the transmission fluid and differential lube changed at Santa Margarita Ford.

The transmission was serviced under warranty. It will still seldon downshift roughly to first, but the key word is seldom, or very seldom. I can't discern any patttern, and it is barely worth mentioning.

The electric door lock motor has been the only problem part, but I sometimes lock and unlock the doors many more times per day than most people. There is a plastic gear on the motor shaft which contacts a metal part, so this is just a bad design. Replacing it was not difficult or expensive, and gave me an opportunity to really scrub s stain froma spilled drink off of the plastic door panel.

I weigh 210, but think it is probably time to replace the seat cushion foam, esopecially to be sure it stays as comfortable as possible sitting in southern Califorrnia traffic!
  • gusfareco1gusfareco1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury with 53000 miles. When I put it into reverse it delays like i put it into neutral and then it bangs real hard into reverse like I got rearended. What is the problem.
  • yooper66yooper66 Member Posts: 4
    I have a oil change message every time I start my 2008 Mountaineer!The thing is I only have 2000mi. on the oil.I keep pushing the reset button that only last until the next time I start it. Is there any way to reset it so it won't come on again?
    Last week my airbag (drivers) warning light would come on when the vehicle was first started and then remain on. It would only do this when first started in the morning. By the weekend it would come on and stay on all the time. After searching many online forums I saw many posts saying this is usually caused by a weak and/or almost dead battery. Not sure how these two things are related but over 3/4 of the posts about the airbag light coming on said it was due to a weak battery. So I replaced the battery and low and behold that did the trick. I'm sure it is some type of software glitch with the computer system that went unnoticed for several years until the batteries started going bad. And of course Ford isn't going to tell anyone about it since it leads to most people bringing their car in to service the airbag. I just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else was encountering the same issue. Not saying it's definitely or always going to be the battery but it does seem to be a very common occurrence. And if your battery is 4 or 5 years old it's about time for a new one anyway so it might be worth a shot before taking it to the dealer.
    My XLT has been in and out of service for FOUR YEARS without Ford finding out the source of my problem. All the codes have been updated numerous times, throttle bodies have been replaced and recently a mechanic thought it may be the radiator getting too hot and slowing the car down. When I step on the gas, it feels as though I am in neutral. This happens in both drive and reverse, while driving at speeds of 30-45 mph and from start up from lights stops signs, etc.
    Ford is saying that they have not seen this problem in any other cars and they do not know how to fix it. I purchased this car from Ernie Haire in Tampa, Florida with about 19k miles. I am now at 83k miles with an expired extended warranty.
    If anyone else has had this problem, please contact me as I do love my car and would like for this issue to be resolved.
    I can't imagine an engine being so difficult to diagnose that NOT one person can figure out the problem. The problem is intermittent . A VDR was installed but I believe that they are most likely dinosaur technology as we could not get one to work once installed.
    This week, I am supposed to go in again for another attempt at diagnosis via some type of computer. If this doesn't work I may have to call the psychic hotline...lol. I look forward to hearing if anyone else has experienced any of my issues with an 06 Explorer.
    Hi,
    It seems that you and I are going through the same thing. I switched dealerships as well but the latest one cannot determine the problem either. Switching dealerships is not a bad idea however, does not guarantee a solution. Did you have any luck?
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    Great note....I have a 2006 Explorer V-8 purchased used in January 2010. Car was put in service in February 2006, so my battery is approaching five years old. I have recently (last couple of months) had this same issue with the airbag light. Generally, if the car is sitting overnight or longer, the airbag light will stay on when you first start and drive. If you run around doing errands, and stop and start the car again after a short drive, the airbag light will go off when started. If I use is several times in the same day, the light will normally go off.

I was going to take it to the dealer, but of course thought I would wait until the light stayed on most of the time, as the dealer would probably not find the problem, unless they kept it overnight and started it only one time in the morning.

Thanks.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • kendrab1967kendrab1967 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Ford Explorer Sport Trac & last night when I pulled out onto a highway and tried to excelerate, the truck slowed down. It did this for about 15 minutes. I parked it for about 10 minutes & when I drove it home, it was fine. I'm taking it to advance today to have them hook their machine up to it. My friend seems to think it's a sensor going bad. When I find out the cause, I'll let you know....unless you finally figured out what the cause was. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • jhggjhgg Member Posts: 2
    It is happening exactly the same to my 06 Explorer XLT. Is being doing it for 2 month already. I tooked to AAMCO but when they tried the explorer, it didn't show the issue. I went and change the transmition fluid, by the way dark brown in color, and the issue disapreared for a few days; two weeks later it was back doing the same: 12 or 15 miles after start there was a decreasing speed and making a sound like it was accelerating but not gaining on speed. I have been noticing that the antifreezer is going dry very often. I am to tell you that my experienced as a mecanic, for cars, is "zero" and I can be wrong, but let me tell you what I found. At the moment I changed the fluid, the antifreezant tank was empty; they filled out; I opened the hood and saw that once more antifreezant was empty, and filled-out; right after 30 miles, explorer stop doing it, acceletating (like in neutral). Does someone know if somehow there is a conection between the transmission and the radiator (antifreezant unit?) or if getting heat the computer starts failing or sending wrong commands? Is being about 3 days since I did it and explorer is running with any problem.
  • jhggjhgg Member Posts: 2
    It is happening exactly the same to my 06 Explorer XLT. Is been doing it for 2 month already. I tooked it to AAMCO but when they tried the explorer, it didn't show the issue. I went and change the transmition fluid, by the way dark brown in color, and the issue disapreared for a few days; two weeks later it was back doing the same: 12 or 15 miles after start there was a decrease in speed and the noise too, like it was accelerating but not gaining on speed. I have been noticing that the antifreezer is going dry very often. I am to tell you that my experienced as a mecanic, for cars, is "zero" and I can be wrong, but let me tell you what I found. At the moment I changed the fluid, the antifreezer tank was empty; they filled out; three days ago, I opened the hood in the explorer and saw that once more antifreezant was empty, and filled-out again; right after 30 miles, explorer stop doing it, acceletating (like in neutral). Does someone know if somehow there is a conection between the transmission and the radiator (antifreezant unit?) or if getting heat the computer starts failing or sending wrong commands? Is being about 3 days since I did it and explorer is running with any problem.
  • prodriver4uprodriver4u Member Posts: 1
    Wow! You're right about the thermostat housing. I didn't realize that was the problem with my acceleration until you posted this. A few months ago, all my antifreeze leaked out & I almost ruined my engine. After figuring out where it was leaking from (the thermostat housing), my mechanic replaced it for me, and since then I haven't had any more trouble with the truck bogging down on me when I accelerate. I haven't had any other issues since then, (knock on wood), so I think I'll hold off doing those other repairs you mentioned. Especially since I can't afford it right now anyway. Thanks for posting this!
    Yes, I know what the connection is now. After filtering all the "intentional misinformation" for 5 long years from 2 dealerships, I have finally found out what is wrong with these crappy Ford and Mercury vehicles. Your story sound just like mine! You are losing antifreeze because you have a crack in your THERMOSTAT HOUSING.

When I was at the Veteran's Ford Dealership in 2010, the service mgr told me to make sure that I kept putting in coolant. I thought that was odd. He went through the whole talk about what color I should buy and to make sure that I check it often. Hmmm, it all makes perfect sense.

Are there any attorneys posting on this site? We need to ban together and ensure that this matter is fixed for all of us, even if our warranties have ended.

The issue at hand, non acceleration of Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers is a KNOWN defect in these models, occurring in the years 1997-2009 caused by the THERMOSTAT HOUSING UNITS in these vehicles. (you can verify this info from a REAL MECHANIC, not one at the dealership).

I was recently almost killed in Sept of this yr. when my 06 Explorer would not accelerate past 25 mph when pulling into traffic. I barely escaped a large truck crashing into my car.

These THERMOSTAT HOUSING UNITS that Ford uses are made of cheap plastic ... the equivalent to a 1 gallon jug of water/milk. We all know how thin that plastic is...drop one and it cracks in an instant.

Please go and get your THERMOSTAT HOUSING, THEROMOSTAT ASSY, SEAL AND 0-RING checked out. You are losing coolant because of this product defect. When the car gets hot, it doesn't allow the acceleration to take place. It is some type of safety that is built into the car so as not to destroy the engine.

Do not take your car to the dealership to be fixed. Shop around. My mechanic charged me $110.00 less than the dealership quoted me for the repair. Anyway, the dealerships service depts say they can never find the problem, so how in the world would they be able to fix it? Start shopping around and never go to the dealership again for these types of repairs.

Ford does not consider this to be a safety issue so NO RECALL will be announced. I don't know about you readers, but I think it is a safety issue. Cars not accelerating when we need them to accelerate certainly seems to be a problem...it's kind of like being a sitting duck with traffic coming at you in all directions.

I sure hope there haven't been any death related accidents due to these cars not accelerating...any body want to research Explorers/Mountaineers? If we can find out that these cars were involved in accidents that led to deaths, we can then research if these cars had the same issues as our cars. It would only take talking to others, finding out if their cars had histories/paperwork of their cars not accelerating. We could ALL start posting on blogs to find out the stories and we would could easily document all the info we would need.

My non Ford mechanic gave me some info about additional things that need to be fixed. Here is what needs to be fixed and hold onto your wallets because you have to go back to Ford to get these things fixed.

Ford needs to RECALIBRATE the POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE. The info is printed out in a report by ALLDATA online. "Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC's P505/P0506/Hard Start, is the heading of the report. Have them look it up for you so you can see what needs to be fixed.

Supposedly only mechanics can get this info and Ford can ONLY calibrate as they have the computer codes.

This report has all the info on what is wrong with your cars...non acceleration...drive away hesitation...etc.

The powertrain control module PCM) needs to be reprogramed to the latest calibration...something to do with a "sludge problem in the throttle body".

There is a note in this report stating that the procedure has to be followed exactly, to the T. If it is not followed the reprogramming will FAIL. It says that some of the cars have to be driven for several days for the transmission to fully adapt.

Supposedly the IDS (integrated diagnostic system) goes into a sleep mode.

So I believe that this is going to be the problem. You can take your car in to be fixed but if the mechanic doesn't know what he is doing, he can say he reprogrammed the car but he may not have followed the procedures correctly and you car will not perform properly. I've experienced that ... I had certified Ford Mechanics reprogram my car for 5 yrs and none of them could ever get it right.

Finding the right mechanic is just as hard as trying to find a dentist who really knows how to do a root canal.

The info above includes the following cars:

Ford 05-07 Crown Victoria
    06 Mustang
    04-06 F-150
    05-06 E -350, E -450, F- Super Duty
    06 F-53 Motorhome Chassis
    06-07 Explorer Sport Trac
    Lincoln:
    05-07 Town Car
    06 Mark LT
    Mercury:
    05-07 Grand Marquis
    06-07 Mountaineer

Good luck and stay safe!
    On my 2006 mountaineer the blinker sound (the blinkers work fine) and the other chimes (keys in and door open etc. ) have stopped working. Is there a fuse for this or a speaker that needs to be replaced? Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot?

Thanks,

Greg
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Greg
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Those chimes are totally unrelated. However, I can't tell you how to restore the door and key chime to work again. Other than a fuse, I wouldn't know where to look either. Sorry.
  • donnaw5donnaw5 Member Posts: 1
    When I get to about 45mph my car sounds like it is going over a series of speed bumps. The guy at the dealership tried to tell me it was just shifting gears but it is doing it way to much. Especially on a hill. Does anyone know what this might be.
  • kade_wolfleykade_wolfley Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with mine as well. When I turn the OD off it doesn't seem to do it. The RPM's are roughly 1100 to 1300. Anyone have a clue at what it could be?