Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2006 and newer)

shadow19shadow19 Member Posts: 1
hey what do you think that the CLK 2006 will have of a difference.I haven't heard anything just yet I was hoping if someone knew.

Comments

• bigbwbbigbwb Member Posts: 12
    At the Milwaukee auto show, the MB rep told me the '06 CLK will offer the new 3.5 V6 along with the 7 speed auto trans. Pricing should remain very similar to the current model also.
  • ajb723ajb723 Member Posts: 61
    Any idea when the 2006 CLK will be introduced?
  • bigbwbbigbwb Member Posts: 12
    Actually, my Mom just ordered the 06 CLK (was the 1st on the list) at a dealer in the Milwaukee, WI area. The dealer gave her a window of any time between September thru January.
  • dbs8dbs8 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if the CLK Cabrio will change to 350 at the same time as the coupe?
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    Yes, every car in the line that was running a 320 drivetrain will become a 350 drivetrain.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Hi everyone, I am new to the Mercedes forum. I am currently in the market for a new car and am considering the 2006 bmw 330i fully loaded. My hesitation currently is that the sport seats are not very comfortable but I would still have to have the sport package.

My brother has a mercedes and told me about the 2006 clk coming out with a 3.5 v6. Does anyone have an idea of the hp and torque? The current 3.2 version seems anemic compared to the other German 3.2's offered by audi, bmw etc.

Are there any other good forums to get on to learn about the 2006 clk, i can't find any info on edmunds, mercedes usa site etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The 2005 CLK350 will have the same 268hp and 258lb-ft of torque as the E/SLK 350 models. Not sure when it will go on sale. Sometime between June-Aug I'd say.

Try these forums:

merc1, "Mercedes-Benz CL- and CLK-Class" #183, 30 Apr 2005 2:16 pm

Clicky here

and this is the official info:

Clicky here

M
  • iancariancar Member Posts: 31
    The official site has the new 2006 version picture posted already. A subtle changes range from interior trims, grills, electronic, to engine update.
    http://www.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom/international/international_website/en/com/internationa- l_home/home/products/passengercars/clk-class/clkclasscabriolet.html
  • rich67rich67 Member Posts: 5
    Hi: Drove the 330i on a test track for an hour or so a few weeks ago. Was really disappointed in the tight uncomfortable cabin and performance. Got back in my 2004 Acura TL and marveled at what Honda can offer for a little over 30k..with all options and 270 hp.... go drive one before you decide.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I imagine you may not be in the majority w.r.t. your comments... you don't sell Acura's, do you? ;-)
  • gte864fgte864f Member Posts: 2
    Well, I've been waiting and waiting for someone to post some info about the CLK2006 but no one has. Well I went and got the information myself. Anyway, here is what I was able to uncover. If anyone has any other infomation please feel free to add it.

MY2006 CLK-Class Face-lift
    Key Product Features
    Prodcut Enhancements - CLK350
    3.5L V6 engine with 268 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque
    25% more horsepower and 13% more lb-ft of torque than the outgoing 3.2L engine
    7-speed driver adaptive transmission
    All-new 17" 5-splite spoke staggered width wheels
    More aggressive front apron with larger intakes

Product Enhancements- CLK 500
    AMG chrome-tipped dual exhaust
    More sporty interior featuring: Black Ash wood trim, single-tone seats and sportier instrument cluster
    The standard interior for MY05 with Burl Walnut wood trim will remain as a no-cost option

Product Enhancements-ALL Models
    Striking new front grille
    Re-designed high brilliance tall lamps and brake lamps
    Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination- New ooptional equipment
    Electronic Trunk closer- New optional equipment

Changes to Opotional Equipment
    To ease dealer trades, stand alone options have been reduced by 5 from model year 2005 to 2006 and more value added options packages have been created.

Standard equipment offerings have been re-evaluated with a focus on supporting the sporty positioning of the CLK while being mindful of competitor product offerings. The following equipment is now optional:
    Auto-dimming mirrors-(CLK350)
    Garage Door Operner- (CLK350)
    Rear Side Airbags- (CLK350 & CLK500)
    Premium Sound- (CLK350 & CLK500)
    Heated Windshield Washer Reservoir- (CLK350 & CLK500)

I hope this helps somebody!!!
  • mkcabmkcab Member Posts: 3
    With the increase in hp for the 350 cabriolet, is the 500 really that much better? I also understand that this might be the last year for that 500 engine, that it will be beefed up in 2007. I currently drive a '99 CLK 320 Cab and I'm ready for an upgrade to allow more power, handling, navigation, iPod control. I've also read differing opinions of Comand Nav system. Can it be that much worse than a portable Garvin?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..the CLK cabriolet doesn't have anything that remotely represents a sport package with a sprot tuned suspension, short throw 6 speed manual and other handling enhancements.

I am getting dangerously close to spending $90k to $100k for a new 911 or 911s Cabriolet because it is the only sports car that gives me the option of a mini rear seat for my daughters. For whatever reason, the M3 just feels too much like a sedan.

On the other hand, it's probably unrealistic to think that Mercedes will ever make "sport" a priority. After testing the $55k SLK against the $32k S2000 and $62k Boxster S, it comes in a distant last place as far as driving dynamics, albeit an improvement over the previous generation.
  • ajb723ajb723 Member Posts: 61
    I'm now 3 months into my 2005 CLK320 and overall I'm pleased. I couldn't wait for the 350 to appear. Yes, it could use a little more punch and it doesn't handle like a sports car. But it is smooth, comfortable, and has enough speed for my needs. Have no complaints at all about the Nav system which is quite easy to use.
    the CLK cabriolet doesn't have anything that remotely represents a sport package with a sprot tuned suspension, short throw 6 speed manual and other handling enhancements.

Well they did add a sport suspension option for 2006, but that manual tranny didn't make it.... ;)

M
  • whosyourdaddywhosyourdaddy Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 06 CLK 350...Beautiful damn car. Very comfortab;e and lots of power. 267 horses and 283 ftlbs of torque. Don't make a mistake on the Beamer...well worth what you pay for the Benz...
    You got a few extra horses and a little more torque..... ;) Actually its 268hp and 258lb-ft of torque. Unless MB is using the SAE method and got some extra torque and lost one horse?

M
  • starbucksstarbucks Member Posts: 13
    Anyone have any opinions on the Mercedes-Benz CLK350 Coupe? I plan on purchasing one, but wanted some info first.
  • mkcabmkcab Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of a CLK350 Cab about 3 weeks ago and it's great. Even though I'm in the 1000m breakin period and have been driving in Comfort mode it has great reserves of power and it hugs the canyon roads (much better than my '99 CLK Cab). I've driven it hard in Sport Mode and can't wait until I hit 1000m.
    It looks sharp both inside and out. It's Cadet Blue/Ash loaded with Keyless Go, Premium Stereo (just OK), Active Ventilated Seats (subtle, but effective), Lighting Package.
    Since the Cab is heavier than the Coupe I think you'll get better performance. I was considering the 500 but I wanted better fuel efficiency and a more nimble car.
    Good luck with your decision
  • starbucksstarbucks Member Posts: 13
    I test drove the 350 on Saturday, and I was impressed at the great styling and comfort, but I found out that my insurance would nearly double from my Jeep. I'm thinking that I might just buy a brand new Wrangler and save the extra money. thanks though
  • bwitchdbwitchd Member Posts: 2
    I'm going to be a 1st time Mercedes owner. I ordered the CLK 350 Cabrio in Storm Red Metallic. The color has delayed availability. Anyone have any idea as to when the color will be available?
  • jpouchetjpouchet Member Posts: 38
    If you haven't dropped the big coin on the Porsche and you still want plenty of room for four then give the Audi S4 Cabriolet some consideration.

Recent comparison tests have picked the S4 as the class winner well ahead of BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Dollar for dollar it is the category leader in performance and comfort. Styling is pretty sharp too.

No - I do not work for nor sell Audis. I did buy an A4 after going through much the same search as you. I tried to buy a Mercedes but could not handle the price tag for the poor performance, which includes less than stellar fuel economy and of late less than excellent build quality either. The BMW was just boring and you see a young kid driving one on every street corner.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congats, bwitchd! Since the folks in the Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion are in the midst of researching deals for this vehicle, they might have the answer to your question about color availability.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• rohardrohard Member Posts: 1
    Took Delivery Saturday (2006 CLK 350), back to the service bay Wednesday, they are going to have to put a new top on. Problem around the rear window. When the window goes to the 90 degree position for the boot to lift, it apparently stretched both the fabric and the rubber weather seal to much, and ripped it on both sides. Any one else had this problem?
    (MBUSA and the dealer could not have been more helpful. They have given me three options to chose from. I have no complaints, only complements to date, just do not want to keep a car that has endemic problems, since I currently have options available.)
  • luvthsrydluvthsryd Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the 2006 CLK 500 convertible about a month ago. This is my first experience with this car (other than drooling over it for a long time) so I do not have much to compare to. With that understood I can field questions.

Bottom line is that I love this car! There are only 4 areas that concern me at all (or would redesign if I were MB):
    1. There is only one cup holder and it is located on the passenger area next to the glove.
    2. There is a wind guard that is provided in the trunk. To utilize you must get it out of the case and install and uninstall every time you have back-seat passengers.
    3. The DVD navigation does not seem to play DVD movies. (Have not tried it personally - little scared). It seems dangerous, but with kids it would be a nice to have. Seems a little silly to bring a portable when the screen and function is already installed.
    4. The important one - the dealership recommended that I NOT purchase the phone package as the technology is about three years behind and they have a lot of problems with it. So now what? They recommended blue tooth integration. I have looked into this and been told by everyone thus far that they can install it, but it will not work with the current car features (accessible on audio/visual screen, broadcast thru stereo, utilize car microphone and steering wheel accessibility). This is quite a waste. If anyone has a solution I would love a recommendation! Until then, I think that I will purchase an external blue tooth adapter and wait.

Other than that, this car is the love of my life! I opted for the 500 series based purely on huge difference in power. That was a great choice I soon discovered since all of the features that I would have added came standard (like chrome trim).

DVD Navigation: I can see where this feature is a nice to have and then the novelty wears off. I, however, have kids traveling all over the place (always a new area) and as long as I continue to go place that I have not been this will continue to be a great feature.

Keyless Go: Was not planning to get this at first, but it was on the car that matched the description of what I wanted, so I kept it. GREAT FEATURE. I love this! I keep the key in my purse, it tells me if I leave my purse in the car and I never have to search the purse for the key. The nice thing is that it does not scratch up the dashboard with the other keys on the key chain.

Anything else that I can answer, let me know. And if anyone has a phone recommendation please share....
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, even though the Audi S4 and BMW M3 will beat the 911 Cab hands down for rear seat room and comfort, they are not sports cars - and that's what I keep returning to. The lighter RWD M3 comes closer to the "feel" I am looking for, but the 4,000 lb AWD S4 is hardly a "nimble" sports car or roadster. I might be more inclined to replace my current sedan with a new M5 or even 550i 6-speed than augment it with a two ton convertible coupe.

I sense I am going to end up with a Boxster S and accept that it's not a family car, but the 911 Cab S is still in the running.
  • gte864fgte864f Member Posts: 2
    Hello luvthsryd
    Thanks for the post. I do have one question. Can you see the DVD Navigation system during the day? I've heard of a lot of people saying that the Nav system is hard to use. Please let me know your feelings on the easy of use of the Nav. System.
    Thanks
  • rontiderontide Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 2003 or 2004 CLK 500. Can anyone give me their gas mileage stats since I know it has the Guzzler tax added. Know of any significant problems, complaints, etc? I have a Cadillac STS and its a great car (99) and average over 20 mpg and repairs have been minimal. Thanks for your input.
  • jerry kjerry k Member Posts: 45
    This may or may not help. I have a 2004 CLK 320 Cab - which thus far has been trouble free. Around town (combined highway/city) - I get about 23/24 MPG. Strictly highway driving is about 30 MPG.
  • tom26tom26 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a very low milage 04 CLK500 for my wife. We get 18 mpg in town and 24 hwy. This is supposed to improve as it breaks in. No problems have surfaced, the car has 2,200 miles on it now. The only thing that bugs me is some odd sounds at start up and idle that come from the engine compartment. I'm told there normal. The car performs better than I expected. We have a Brabus exhaust system that my wife loves, she can feel it, not hear it (her words). It sounds great when she drives away and looks good. I did some research before purchasing and was warned of many things that go wrong with Mercedes vehicles. So far I've got no regrets.
  • luvthsrydluvthsryd Member Posts: 2
    I have not experienced any difficulty in seeing the Nav System. I have noticed it getting brighter suddenly even during the day, but not had any trouble. I love it.
  • bskseattlebskseattle Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2006 Clk 350, and they told me that I had to wait about 2 months for them to deliver it to me. I paid 51,096 for my car which includes nav system, heated seats, premiume pakage, lighting package, sports suspension, and rear seat air bags. Then I was checking out the Mbusa web site and saw that they offered a 7 or 8 % discount if I ordered it from Europe. Even though my car is being shipped from Germany, do I qualify for this discount?
    No. You need to order it through the European Delivery program and pick it up yourself in person at the factory. It can then be dropped off, shipped back to the States and will arrive at you domestic dealer in another 6+/- weeks.
  • skpinkskpink Member Posts: 1
    Would like some imput on package price of 2006 Clk Cab. Quoted price out the door with metallic paint and premium pkg is $56,665.00 MSRP, with $2000 down and 39 month lease for 779.00 a month. Is this reasonable? Appreciate input.
  • rdubsrdubs Member Posts: 11
    Hi skpink,
    Don't have a direct answer for you, but one of the best resources to use to find your answer is the Excel spreadsheet you can find and download on carbuyingtips.com. You can find all the invoice prices for the options on edmunds.com. I used it to negotiate a great price on my 06 CLK350 which is being custom built.
    Go to "buyer's offer spreaadsheet"
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/download.htm
    hope that helps.
    Rich
  • avguyavguy Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a CLK 320 but bfore I do I need to have an understanding of the maintenance schedule. I've never owned a Benze before I remember the ones my father owned during the 80's seemed to cost him a small fortune to maintain.

I need to know when they are scheduled, what gets done & an idea of what it costs. While I haven't decided on a specific year & model I have found what I feel is a great deal on a 2002 with 33000 miles.

Thanks for the assistance
  • dlukdluk Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery of a 2004 Black Opal CLK500 two weeks ago. 22k miles, great condition, paid $38k. I think I got a great deal on the price and the car is just intoxicating to drive!

It is an absolute rocketship on the highway, and quite capable in the twists. It was also a delight on the highway for my long Xmas drive to my parents house.

My only complaints are a bunch of niggling issues in the interior (it's no japanese car when it comes to little things going wrong) - i.e. the cupholder doesn't slide out, the glovebox doesn't close without a firm and inelegant smack, the passenger vanity mirror light doesnt' work, etc.

A couple of bigger issues that I'd welcome people's opinions on: (1) the engine makes a weird noise at idle, which I've read is normal for this car, and (2) the transmission seems to sometimes upshift way too early under part-throttle acceleration and/or coming out of a turn, to the point where it feels unnatural. This scares me a bit but also might be that I'm used to
  • z5470z5470 Member Posts: 28
    Just got back from a Mercedes dealer. I looked at the exact same car you did with the same msrp. HOWEVER they wanted 39 mo 10K per year with 4100 down and 844 per month.
    Where did you get this deal and how many miles a year? Also they said they were charging 8.25% because of the 65% residual value.

Thanks
  • z5470z5470 Member Posts: 28
    Just got a quote for sticker price MSRP 56665 Lease payment 844 with 4000 down which includes bank fee first month and taxes. Only extra, premium pack and heated seats. 10K per yr and 39 month lease. I have never paid MSRP before on any car. The bank rate was in the 8%+ range which I though was too high but was told Mercedes gives 65% residual
    Would like to hear the deals that others have made as this does not seem to be a good deal.
    This site has really helped me in the past, so I look forward to hearing from you all.
    Thank you.
  • theonecartheonecar Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know if it's possible to install an SLK hood and grill on the CLK? I love the SLK styling, but I need a four-seater.

I'd be willing to plunk a few grand on an SLK hood, though I haven't been able to find hoods for sale on the internet, and I don't know if an SLK hood could be made to fit on a CLK. I doubt it can, but thought asking can't hurt ;)
  • mstrebemstrebe Member Posts: 1
    Maintenance on all benz models is at 10,000 to 15,000 intervals depending on your driving (this is the oil change, filters, etc.). The regular scheduled maintenances run either $250 or about $500 and come up once per year or so depending on how much you drive. They're actually quite cheap to maintain comparitively.
  • tonyw1tonyw1 Member Posts: 1
    My new 2006 CLK500 ran well the first 3200 miles. The car then stalled twice while I was driving on the road. The two incidents happened within 120 miles. I was so lucky that I did not get into any accidents even though both of the steering wheel and brake were without power at that time. After switching the gear back to Park, I was then able to start the engine again. But as of today I am still driving the loaner car from the dealership. After putting about 200 miles in my car for the last seven days, the dealership told me the problem has not yet been found. But they are ordering two parts for my car anyway and try to wrap it up in a week. I sort of know that Mercedes cars have minor electrical problems, but I never thought it was the type of problem that put my life in danger.
  • danzoedanzoe Member Posts: 1
    hELLO, i REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR POST BUT WOULD NEED SOME INFORMATION. I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 350 CLK CABRIOLET AND HAVE RIPS ON THE BLACK LINER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE TOP NEAR THE BACK WINDOW. tHESE RIPS ARE NOT IN THE ACTUAL SOFT BLUE TOP BUT IN THE LINER BELOW IT. IS THIS SIMILAR TO YOUR PROBLEM? I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE THANKS SO VERY MUCH
    DAN
  • rme78rme78 Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking at the 06 CLK 500 but am debating on waiting for the 07 550 to come out. Its going to have a much larger engine. I haven't been able to find out any info on how much more those extra horses are going to raise the price. It might be a better deal to just get a great price on the 06 and just sacrifice getting the bigger engine for the best deal? Any info from anyone on what they've heard??
  • rabidpandarwrabidpandarw Member Posts: 1
    I have recently been given the choice of a 1999 clk 320 or my current 2001 S60. The s60 has more mileage, about 110k and the clk has about 70k. The major thing is that the s60 has a ton of great features- tiptronic, cd, buttons on the steering wheel, heated seats- that the clk doesn't have. Of course the clk is a mercedes. If you guys had the choice, which would you do. The help is much appreciated!
  • petroleumtimespetroleumtimes Member Posts: 2
    Any of you MB Clk owners know whether the on board computer that controls directional stability can be manually turned off my the driver the same way as say an Infiniti or is the MB one always on whether the driver wants it or not?
  • platinumgirlplatinumgirl Member Posts: 2
    I am currently in the market for either a ’02-‘03 CLK 430 Convertible or a ’02-’04 M3 Convertible, both with preferably less than 40K miles. I’ve always admired the sleek and luxurious style of the CLK, and the handling and performance the M3 commands. I’m torn between the two. Any feedback (positive or negative & especially on maintenance cost) from current or previous owners would greatly be appreciated, thanks!
  • tla1963tla1963 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 06 clk500 cab. The 5.0 liter engine puts out about 305hp and if you look at the stats for the 07 it's similar. I have a 04 audi s4 along with the clk and the clk pulls almost as hard as the s4 so I would look for a new 06 clk and save yourself some BIG$$$$
  • tla1963tla1963 Member Posts: 8
    I have a new 2006 clk500 cab. Now just seven months old with 7500 miles the top jammed while going up. The rear window was jammed against the inside storage compartment. The weather strip was ripped and the window cracked. The whole top is being replaced as well as all moving parts.
    Anyone else having any top problems?? :sick:
  • oahu50oahu50 Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove pretty extensively the 2006 clk 350 and the 500. I had the same question you had. I'm debating which car should I purchase. Tell you the truth from a traffic light to traffic light starting from a complete stop, I could'nt tell the difference in the speed, except around the 60-80 mph range, that's when the 302 horses kick end on the clk 500, but the sound of the 500 had me grinning from ear to ear