Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 300ZX

Comments

• ddunlapddunlap Member Posts: 8
    I bought my great "Z" new in '87, and now need to replace some rusted body parts - mainly starting with the hatchback. ( got some great water leaks). Anyone point me in the right direction to find a good one at the right price. The best auto-body shop in the area will repair mine for $1000 with no guarantees - "choke".! I seem to be able to find tons of parts for the running gear, but little to nothing on major exterior body parts. :cry:
  • myputtputtmyputtputt Member Posts: 4
    AMB refers to ambient out side air and temp refers to internal temperature.
  • ddunlapddunlap Member Posts: 8
    O.K. If nobody knows whre to find a replacement hatchback, does anyone know where to find major body parts? Maybe there's a parts house specializing in 300ZX's somewhere. Tweeks in Indianapolis used to deaal in Porsche and 300ZX's - but now only Porsche. Any help would be greatly appreaiated. Thanks. Dave :confuse:
  • murrademurrade Member Posts: 1
    What major body parts are you looking for? I live in Indianapolis.
  • uk300zxttuk300zxtt Member Posts: 1
    Try cleaning the air flow meter ! my car had the same symptons if this doesnt work then most likely an air leak ,ie air being sucked in somewhere its not supposed to , if cleaning air flow meter doesnt work then check all the vacum pipes around the engine bay , maybe a cracked or split pipe !! hope this helps!! let me know how you get on . alan :)
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    Need suggestions on where to find the orig Bose speaker (front door rt) for the 1992 300zx 2dr coupe Surely. there must be a online board somewhere that has info on parts/availablilty & -if need be- salvage for the 300z.
    Thanks
    ronaries
  • pete18pete18 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find a speaker? I have a 95 TT and need a driver door speaker. Just lost a bid on one on e Bay

Thanks, LP
  • myputtputtmyputtputt Member Posts: 4
    Welp, finally this nasty problem is solved. AND I DON'T HAVE TO FORK OUT $800 BUCKS TO FIX IT!!. The fix for this is simple but takes some time and a visit to the auto wrecker. Turns out that the Turbo model was manufactured with a vacuum pump!! Soooooo I pulled the pump off a Z I found at the wrecker and installed it in my non-Turbo Z. The pump has a 2 line electrical connection. The trick is to wire it so the pump only comes on when you push the A/C button. I found a relay under the hood that is electrically tied to that button. One line goes to ground and the other to the relay. The vacuum line from the pump is Tee'd into the heater side of the vacuum tank. The pump provides sufficient vacuum to prevent the Climate Control from fail safe -ing to the heater. The system is designed to turn on the heater when the vacuum drops below a preset level. Unfortunately this happens when manifold vacuum can not make up for line losses caused by an old system. Bottom line - it works!!!
  • snyderhouse2snyderhouse2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1984 300zx (non-turbo) for my son and we have a couple of problems. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain for info. One problem is with the AC unit you're talking about in this forum. It seems the heat is always on. It looks like you've narromed it down to a vacuum problem. Please tell me more. Another problem I have is the power antenna doesn't work. It might be the way I wired the new sound system, I'll have to re-check the wiring, but I thought I wired everything in.
    A problem that I used to have was the intermittent dash. Sometimes the fuel gauge worked and sometimes not. Actually most of the digital display was intermittent. What I found (from another forum) was a driver/power supply box under the dash needed to be re-soldered. It had cold solder joints. The box is silver and it's located just above the right knee, under the dash.

Let me know if you can help with my problems.
  • rhuegrhueg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 300ZX 2+2 and all around it's a sweet ride I only have one concern, while driving when i get up around 40 mph I begin to notice a slight vibration and it seem to be coming from the rear differential area although i'm not 100% sure. The car has just over 102,000 miles in it. I'm actually the third owner, the second owner had alot of the normal interval repairs done ie: Timing Belt at 60,000 Has anyone else experienced same or similiar situation and if so any idea's on what it might be?
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    that the vibration coming from that location can be a worn out bearing or u-joint in the two-piece driveshaft. The easy way to diagnose is to get it up to the speed where you can feel the vibration, then put the car in neutral. If the vibration stops, you've found the culprit. If it doesn't stop, it's probably a wheel imbalance. A replacement one-piece driveshaft is not that expensive.
  • buzdar7buzdar7 Member Posts: 1
    hey i have a 93 2+2 and i have the same problem...from 20-40 mph it vibrates..ya it seems like its coming from the back.....please email me or post msg if you fixed it or know what to do..thnx guyz
  • lad300lad300 Member Posts: 1
    on my 93 tt, 5 spd. with 132,000 miles the turbos have quit working, the boost gauge goes up to zero but wont get above that, a mech. says the vacum and sensors are good but that he has heard of this before but doesnt know the reason new member needing help plez :cry: e thanks from e. tn.
  • marcd2marcd2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '86 300zx. I have taken the car twice to the garage to find out why the battery keeps on running low if the car is left idle for a couple of weeks. The last time, the garage replaced a low-beam switch, changed the battery and checked the alternator. When I get in the car and start it, there is often a "clickety" sound that comes either from the driver's door or from under the dash board. Has anyone experienced similar "symptoms"? (and, if so, have they found a solution?)
  • kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    Agree with scanty, most likely culprit is a worn out u-joint in the two piece driveshaft. Replacement one piece runs about $120 + $50 for labor. Very common replacement on higher mileage/aged Z32's. Just google "one piece driveshaft z32" and the various places that sell it will come up. If you can turn a wrench, estimate about 2 hours if you know what you're doing.
  • jazpianojazpiano Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me where I can buy a really great clutch
    kit for my 1991 300zx twin turbo. I just puchased a "Center
    Force Dual Friction kit for almost $700.00 and it has started to slip with lest than 16,000 miles of normal driving. I'm looking for a kit that has smooth engagement, long life, and no slipping for at lease 80,000 miles or more. Please help. I'm willing pay a little more to get a
    kit really gets the job done. jazpiano Seattle,WA. :mad:
  • tompoptompop Member Posts: 1
    have a 90 300zx no turbo, need to repl factory mufflers. Prefer to go with a stainless system, but don't want to go any louder than factory - any suggestions?
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    I have a '92 300zx na, 48k miles, white/tan coupe. Had similar issue & had to replace the driveshaft - I really got ripped... found out later it could have been done by re-doing the universal jts for about $300 or so.
  • dorneydorney Member Posts: 1
    I've had two mid-80s 300ZXs. Both had vacuum leaks at the vacuum accumulator located above and behind the right headlight. The hoses split at the accumulator fittings, which are plastic, so be careful. There are three hoses: one is engine vacuum source, one goes to the heater/air-conditioner assembly, and the third goes to the hot water valve.
    This can be the easy fix.
    If this doesn't work, a cheap fix is to tie-wrap the vacuum-operated hot water control valve near the firewall. Tie it in the retracted (closed) position to shut off the hot water. Re-open it in the winter. Yes, a crude fix, but might be better than paying a dealer $800.
  • allbadallbad Member Posts: 1
    need to know in my 92 300zx i have the 3.0 none turbo. the lower end is shot so i found a tt motor will it bolt up to my trans?
    :confuse:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Based on the excellent experience I've had with my '88, in terms of quality, reliability, and driving satisfaction, I feel the '84-'89 generation of 300 ZXs deserves more recognition. This is particularly true when one considers what was available in the '80s.
  • 300driftking300driftking Member Posts: 1
    My 92 non turbo Z needs a new clutch and i was wondering whats hot on the market. I want it to be a stage 2. I have seen a few that sparked my interest. Has anybody heard of Gripforce F1 clutches? You can also E-mail me. If you know clutches please help.
  • nissan_babenissan_babe Member Posts: 2
  • nissan_babenissan_babe Member Posts: 2
    my nissan turbo 300 zx has a bad gas problem...if u think u can help me please i beg of u email me ... sekceyangel@hotmail.com .. i need to fix it and i don't understand the problem :sick:
  • s008seps008sep Member Posts: 1
    my 300zx needs a new right rear end muffler. I have been trying to find a actual OEM part replacement for it and couldn't able to find one. There are lots of online retailer's selling "Bosal" Muffler for $155. According to the dealer the original nissan muffler cost around $350. I really need some help in finding a store where I can by the original mufflers. The left side is the original and as good as new. This is the second time the right one has blew a hole on to itself. Can anyone recommend any after market stainless mufflers,which are the same same noise well as the original and in the same price range. Thank you very much for your help. The part number for Bosal is H5000-39863

1990 300zx 2 seater non-turbo

~ Em
  • charliejoemomcharliejoemom Member Posts: 1
    alright. i have an 84 300zx and for the past two days i'll turn my headlights on and they flip open, turn on and turn RIGHT back off. does ANYONE have a problem with that also? or knows how to fix it. and i have a digital dash and my spedometer doesnt work half the time. it keeps going out. could that be a fuse? or is it more electrical? :mad: :confuse:
  • kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    was there an issue with the vibration on your car? there was no reply message in the window
  • brianpalbrianpal Member Posts: 2
    Go to 300zxclub.com, on the first page you will see a thread that you can download full manual. I did and then printed all 1262 pages then put in binder. Nice to have around.
  • brianpalbrianpal Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a JDM engine to do a motor swap in my 1990 non-turbo 300zx 2+2. Do I need to use my old exhaust manifolds from my old engine or can I use the ones that came on JDM engine. They look Identicle to each other JDM's much cleaner and fewer miles,but I thought someone mentioned I would have to change if I was to purchase a JDM (this was b/4 i actually bought one).
  • turbozxturbozx Member Posts: 3
    Try a Genie exhaust, which is made in Australia. It use to be imported and sold by JWT, Jim Wolf Technologies. You probably have to buy used as I believe these sytems are no longer being imported.
    A TT motor will fit the tranny, but it will take a lot of parts, work and time to get the TT motor to work in the car. Check out the information at www.twinturbo.net.
    There are a ton of high quality aftermarket systems that can be had. Check out the information at www.twinturbo.net. Also check out www.specialtyz.com
  • rodan1rodan1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to sell this 1984zx turbo 5speed that only has 11,000 original miles.
    It has been garage kept for show quality. Can I get some idea of its real value?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, rodan1,

While buying and selling aren't permitted in our Forums, you can get an idea of how much your car is worth at Edmunds.com's appraiser: What's Your Car Worth?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• biddo85biddo85 Member Posts: 2
    hi all i own a 1984 300zx 2+2 5 speed and im having trouble with my heater core. does anyone know where i can get moulded carpet from because it seems no one makes them
  • biddo85biddo85 Member Posts: 2
    i had the same problem when i bought mine. i took it to an electrican and found ot that the prob is on your light switch in the car.what happens is the connections on the switch wear out so all you have to do is find the best connector and make that connection for both of your headlights to the one. the connectors are just behind your steering wheel.
  • gavingriswoldgavingriswold Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1990 300zx 2+2 at . It has a miss fire more when it is cold it gets better when it warms up , but doesn't go away ,I was told it was #6 injector . How hard are they to R&R ? Also have serious vibration coming from center console area ? and several other problems . speedo cuts off when the car warms up and heater fan switch comes on at times then goes off . I had purchased the car at a very low cost , I have mech. skills but have never worked on a 300zx ? Can you help ?
  • jenny6jenny6 Member Posts: 4
    I own an 84 300zx with turbo. I've owned it for 3 yrs and it has run like a dream. I tried starting it and it wouldn't start so i jumped it. It flooded out really bad and ever since then it wouldn't start. I think i might have gotten water in my tank so i took out the fuel filter and it was a gooey green. I replaced that and it didn't help...my dad tried replacing the heads and sparkplugs but it still won't start. Does anyone have any tips they could give me?
  • kenji1kenji1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 91 zx. im having a hard time finding an electrical problem with my car. when iam on the brake pedal everything is ok, but when i release it my parking lights come on. has anyone had this problem before.
  • corvette8corvette8 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has a 93 300ZX, and we are experiencing a
    problem every now and then with it starting. At times
    when she goes to start it, it stalls and
    dies....almost
    like it is sucking for air or gas. Then it starts
    normally on the second try.

On the road it drives perfectly, even to speeds of 85
    mph. This problem does not happen on every new start,
    but perhaps every 4th time. Then there are times that
    it will do this 2 or 3 times in a row.

I have changed the fuel filter thinking the fuel flow
    was restricted. I have changed the spark plugs,
    thinking that I may have a fowled plug or bad plug.
    The fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator check out OK
    as well.

Not knowing a lot about the temprement of these cars,
    I am lost on this starting problem. Can you give me
    any insight as to what I should look at? Any info
    would be great! I am even thinking it could be a
    computer board/chip problem as well.
  • kvlovekvlove Member Posts: 1
    The car really needs tires bad, and when I took it to my local shop today they explained to me that there is a wheel lock on the tires. I called the owner and he no longer has it. The tires on this car are bald and I can't drive it until I find a way to get this lock off. Does anyone out there have any ideas. This sucks. I want to drive my new baby. The wheels on it are call progressive and I have a picture of the lock I took today.

Someone please help a lady in need.
    Kirstin :cry:
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    If it's those locks that have a desigh that you have to have the matching design to get them off they are a joke . I get them off for people all the time. Get a socket about the size of the lock. I have more luck with a deep socket but I have done it with the regular socket. The deep socket will flex more to geab the lock. Put it on the lock wack it a couple of times with a hammer so itr grabs the lock and off it comes. My system has never failed me.
    GOOD LUCK
  • steve86zxsteve86zx Member Posts: 4
    I have just bought a 86 zx. The AC does not come on at all. I have worked on many manual damper AC units but this one is different. The blower does not come on, however It does run if a jumper is put in to the battery. Same with the compressor. It runs if jumped and the lines get cold. I am assuming I have the vacuum problem mentioned in other posts because all I get is hot air from the defroster. Any help with getting the blower to start??? The fuses are all good. Any other suggestions?

Steve
  • skylineryanskylineryan Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Infiniti '94 Q45 hubs are interchangable with Z32 hubs?
  • skylineryanskylineryan Member Posts: 2
    there may be a switch on your brake pedal assembly that your brake pedal hits when it is not engaged and the pedal may not be hitting this switch when it is dissengaged.
    Fixed the vacuum problem and the now dampers work. Still cant get the blower to start. I have to jump it to the battery.

Any suggestions???

Steve
    I had a simlar problem. Started off like yours and got worse over a year or so. Turned out to be a bad connection on the mass air flow sensor.

Steve
  • my_300my_300 Member Posts: 2
    i have recently bought my zx with very few problems. as of late it has started to back fire alot when i give it gas. i can feel that it wants to go and when it slowly get to about 3 grand rpm it takes off with the odd cough but at low revs and when the car has warmed up its a real mess. you can be doing 80kmph and floor it and it goes nowhere and starts to back fire. its alright in idel, main problem is taking off and at low rpm. i have checked the injectors, dizzy and spark plugs but i really have no idea. any help would be great.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    steve86zx, have you tried the Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars topic in our Maintenance & Repair Forum? The folks there might have some input that you can use.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• corvette8corvette8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply Steve! Now it is taking its time to start (turning over several seconds before starting), and the problem with the smothering out has stopped. Can you tell me where to find the Air Flow Sensor...not sure where it is located.
    Thanks
    Mike