Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 300ZX

tap3009tap3009 Member Posts: 1
I have always wanted to get a nissan 300zx tt.

I have been looking at a 95 nissan 300zx tt with 55k miles on it... the car looks great and is asking for 21K..

The edmunds site gives me a fair value of 13-15K and i can't figure out why the owner is so far from the edmunds price range..

can you help with what i should be thinking of and advice on how i should price a car like this..

Thanks
T

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The problem is that the car is not for sale. The seller is either out of touch with reality, or greedy, or he is looking for a sucker who will pay about 50% over market value. He can't possibly really expect to sell the car at that price.

Blow him off. There are plenty of these cars around if you look hard enough. True the miles are low, but you can't give yourself an $7,000 bonus for miles.

Or ---if you are really hot for this car, offer him the $15,000 right there right now. That is MORE than generous. If he walks away from a bona fide $15,000 on the table, he's a fool.

Let someone else pay $7K-8K over retail for a car that will only continue to depreciate anyway for some time. Not you.

Host
  • guyguyguyguy Member Posts: 4
    hi!
    I'm new around and I didn't figure out how to post my own new message...someone can help me?

About the 300zx, I just bought one for $11000 Can.
    It's a '90 and it has 66000 miles.
    They're pretty rare so they keep their price!

I have a question about the Climate control.
    I have 2 readings on the LED panel...temp and Amb. What does mean AMB?
    There is no sliders of any kind to control the air through the vent paths.
    How do I proceed to let it go through the defrost ones or at the feet or right on me?
    By playing with the temp on the control, it varies the paths but I don't master it very well. Is that the only way?
    thanks
    GuyGuy
    Since we don't have an active forum for the 300ZX and since a few questions have come up about them, I'm going to change the original title of this forum slightly so as to generalize it for all 300ZXs.

GUYGUY: Sounds like you need to invest the $25 or so and get an owner's manual at the dealership.
    Hi!
    I alrady ask my Nissan dealer about getting an owner's manual.......it seems impossible to get since it's a '90 car...
    do you know where I could find one?
    Guy
    Oh, he's just blowing you off. Of course you can order one.

But if he WON'T order it, try eBay. I'm sure you'd find it there.
    hi again!
    I'll try to contact directly Nissan to get it.
    On Ebay, there's only manual for the 80's models.
    GuyGuy
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    is an abbreviation for ambient
    Well on eBay set up a "search" for the 90s manual and they'll notify you when they spot something on auction.

Last resort, start up a conversation with a 300ZX owner next time you have a chance, and make a copy of the manual and buy him (or her!) lunch.
  • zenithzenith Member Posts: 1
    There are a number of Z sites. For example: twinturbo.net zhome.com 300zxclub.com
    There is an online service manual at 300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi
    The advice regarding the value of a low mileage twin turbo is dead wrong! Ztt's with 20-30K miles are selling in the $20,000 range. You simply can't find low mileage and unmodified Ztt's anymore. It is the law of supply and demand. The car won almost all sports car comparisons with its 1990-1995 models. Today, with its super HICAS steering and handling (4-wheel steering)300HP, slick shifter, pefect ergonomics, classic great looks, T-roofs, roominess, quality build, adjustable suspension, etc., this car remains competitive with todays' sports cars that sell for $35-60 thousand - and no longer is depreciating in value.
    Prices given weren't for extraordinary low mileage cars, which are kind of freaks. The $10K-$15K price range are for very sharp cars with normal mileage, as was the information that they are continuing to depreciate (that is, the older they are the less they cost, unlike "collectible" cars, which cost more as they age usually.)

Anyway, I think the point everyone was trying to make was that the true "market" is based on the largest number of sales, not the extreme highs or lows.
    Hi!
    As I can read, I believe that I made a good deal with my 300zx...
    It has 66000 miles and it's mint. I paid 10500$ CAN.
    Is it logical to think that the 300zx will become collectible very soon since there's not much of them on the road?
    GuyGuy
    It doesn't show any signs of doing so, no. But any older car with power and style will always be worth something--just don't expect the value to go up and up as if it were a Hemi Cuda or something because it is a Japanese car and in the end and they don't become collectible in the real sense of the word. This has never happened with a mass-produced Japanese car--that it went to a "first-tier" collectible status. However, a clean well-cared for example of any handsome Japanese sport coupe will always bring a decent Book Value or even higher than book in some cases.

But even a pristine original 240Z would be lucky to hit $15-17K, even after 35 years. They are desirable but not "hot" market items. I think the 300ZX will be about the same in the future.

Use it up and enjoy it, that's the way to treat a 300ZX. Storing it or waiting for some pot of gold just isn't logical in this case.
  • 91zxtt91zxtt Member Posts: 2
    Hello to everyone, i have a 91 300zx tt stage 2 car with manual trans with 112,00 miles and in excellent condition, i have a question about the turbos just recently the boost gauge doesnt go past 0 and the car still runs but the turbos arent kicking in anyone know what the problem could be?
    Sounds like maybe some of your turbo piping is leaking...has the idle changed or do you stall if you suddenly take your foot off the gas?

If you really aren't getting any boost, the car should be running like a complete dog, regarding acceleration. There should be a dramatic loss of power, unless your boost gauge is lying.
  • 91zxtt91zxtt Member Posts: 2
    the car is running like it has no turbos and as for the stalling it runs and idles fine just no boost, if the turbos were gone and the wastegates were as well the car wouldnt run at all right, im hoping its a simple and inexpensive fix
    Hmmmm...turbos don't usually just "stop"---they whine and howl in protest and then seize up...but the wastegate could be dumping all boost, that's true. If it's not stalling and is idling well I don't think you have a piping leak on the intake side at least.
  • omegagenomegagen Member Posts: 67
    I too have been looking for a 300zxtt, but the prices on low mileage Z's is ridiculous! I found what looks like a pristine silver '91 300zxtt with 19,250 miles, but the guy is asking 23.5K!!!! The NADA value is $11349?! What gives?? I've been looking for a nice Z since last year, but the owners must be smoking crack because the prices are waaaaayyyyy over retail. And don't even think about looking for a Supra-tt, nicer ones cost $30K and up!

Which leads me to wonder how does Edmunds, NADA, KBB derive the value of cars such as these?

Who? If anyone buys these cars at these prices? I want a 300zxtt real bad, but I REFUSE to pay $20K for any Z!! 15K is the max and I feel that's too much!

Here's the link to the one I'm looking at:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=175148923&dealer_id=55697043&car_year=1991&se- arch_type=both&make=NISSAN&model=300ZXTURBO&transmission=Manual&distance=0&address=28451&a- dvanced=&certified=&max_price=&min_price=&end_year=1995&color=&start_year=1991&color3=&col- or2=&isp=y&engine=&lang=en&cardist=984

I need to sell my 1998 Mustang GT first, but I'm sure he want sell it anytime soon.

Thanks!
  • toddmtntoddmtn Member Posts: 1
    Yup...my 84 has gone thru about 4 alternators and 2 batteries in about 4k of driving. Anyone else have this problem with their Z-car? If so did you remedy the situation and if so further, what didja do to correct it?

Thanx...

...Todd
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Could the high prices indicate that the previous generation Zs, and Supras, will eventually become classics? That's an intriguing prospect, since Japanese cars virtually never achieve classic status; collector status, sometimes, but not classic.
  • 96zguy96zguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 300zx NA. Recently I have been having problems with the
    horn going off when the headlights are on. The nissan dealer service
    shop traced the problem to a faulty diode (near the glove compartment)
    with some exposed wires. It seems any time the wires are hit by any
    moisture, the horn goes haywire. The problem only happens when driving
    in the wet. The service shop said the problem required around a week's
    worth of work to dismantle the dash and fix the faulty diode. They
    also recommended taking it in to a body shop to fix any leaks in the
    body so that water does not spray into the diode compartment.
    Before going ahead with this obviously expensive repair, I was
    looking to see if anyone here has any suggestions on a cheaper
    alternative. Has anyone else had this problem and if they did, were
    they hit with a big repair bill? Thanks for any advice.
  • turbotroubleturbotrouble Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased it, the turbos are not working (I think) no boost after 3000 rpm or anything noticable, no turbo sound, and turbo meter does not move :sick: ?
  • goodman3goodman3 Member Posts: 3
    I just signed in and read something about site inactivity.
    It's an enjoyable site for me .
    Also I may need to sell my 91 twinturbo (need to carry 4 pple.) and was hoping to get guidance from members.
    Never thought I'd get sentimental over a car,but it happened after owning it for 14 years. Like a good companion. So,I want it to go to someone who really knows how to take care of it.
    Should I describe it here? Thanks
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Welcome, goodman3!

I think the remark about inactivity was made before the title of this topic was changed to include all 350ZXs. You might want to go to Edmunds.com. Click on the TMV symbol part-way down the page to figure out how to appraise your car to get the best price.

You're welcome to ask for advice from the members here too, but selling/swapping/trading is not allowed in the Forums. If you're interested in selling your car online, click the "Sell Your Car" link at Edmunds.com to place an ad.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    for finding a "good" home for your TT when it comes time to sell it. I'm in the same situation with my '94. After 11 years, the last thing I want to see is my car in the hands of some ham fisted hack who wants to put a 767 wing on the trunk lid and cover the thing in stickers.
    Thanks to both of you. Good to hear someone else who doesnt want to see years of caring wasted. Scanty, I'll try Woodland Hills CA for local club-.Do you know of a national club.?
    I'll start a new thread describing my somewhat unusual car to see if there are any ideas.
    Some article said autotrader was biggest, then cars.com then eBay.
    If I learn something that might be useful in selling yours-it will be reported here.
    Reading you guys makes me wonder if the car is a bit special.
    Everything is original with 76 k mi. and semi-perfect pearl paint .It has no cat converters(legal because i paid a fine and the State of California returned me ?200$ a year later-strange) and someone said that yields 320 hp on a dyno. I suspect he's exaggerating.
    I'll try to find a local club, but I'm unsure what to ask because the range of national averages is meaninglessly wide. I was thinking of 12.5 k, but posts here suggest I'm wrong.
  • dwinndwinn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1986 300zx other than a slightly bent frame, needs rear axle bearings and electric windows dont work. Just over 100k on engine and tranny. good running engine and tranny. Any ideas on where I can sell it cheaply and quickly? Its no longer suitable for my needs being only a two seater.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    to see if there is a club near you. zhome

Autotrader, cars.com and ebay are big, and I had good luck selling on autotrader ( '92 Taurus SHO) and buying on ebay ('99 Pathfinder), but for the Z car, I don't want to put up with a bunch of BS from tire kickers and joyriders.

The books and the guru's might think that $12,5 is too high, but for an all original, one owner, never wrecked TT, you never know...
    dwinn, you can sell your car with AutoTrader by going to Edmunds.com and clicking the "Sell Your Car" link.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

You can always ask $12.5K and see what happens, or you could try eBay to test the market.

That is, I have to admit, a whoppin' high asking price but as they say, you only need one buyer. My gut feeling is that the car could sell at $9K or thereabouts but if we split the diff between your opinion and mine we might end up with an achievable price.

so the deal is, if you ask $12.5K or put that reserve on it in eBay, and nobody goes for it, then the general public has given their opinion as to the worth of your car.
  • martinhuemartinhue Member Posts: 2
    HELP, my 90 300zx just got back from the mecanic. took it in because after shifting into drive engine stalled. was able to restart but stalled again after re-shifting into drive. Mecanic said car checked a-ok with NO problems, drove the car day and a half and it did it again. anyone has any ideas? ...note: if i rev engine, step on brake, drive off with engine revving sometimes it stays on mostly stalls. thanks, any help greatly appreciated
    Welcome to the Forums, martinhue! You might also want to post your question in the Idle or Stalling Problems: All Vehicles Forum.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

• bromley22bromley22 Member Posts: 10
    Have you listed this car anywhere? I agree 12.5k sounds high but I have started looking myself for a TT.
    Thanks
  • ladydi9080ladydi9080 Member Posts: 1
    After paying $980 for a brake job for my 91 ZX, 3 days later I had a minor accident when the brakes failed. The brakes work fine in a normal stop but pause for about two seconds during a sudden stop before engaging. The repair shop said this is symptomatic of older ABS brakes. A 2 second delay normal? I Don't think so but he insisted that I just don't know what I am talking about. I think even if the ABS failed, the brakes should still work. What advice do you folks want to give me? THANKS!
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    Well ABS brakes have changes a lot over the years. I currently have a 350Z and brakes are much different than my 88 Corvette ABS brakes were. I remember the Vette couldn't stop on a dime then again it was 10 years old just like your car is old too. I used to have to give myself a lot extra time and distance before stopping in the Vette. I am not sure about some kind of 2 second delay, but would just assume that a 91 300ZX isn't going to stop on a dime.
  • nbarnettnbarnett Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I bought my 300ZX not running. I put a transmission, mass air flow sensor, replaced distributor, new battery, changed out all the hoses and belts, put a new crank angle sensor,and all new spark plugs. It was starting but wouldn't idle RPMS would spike and then die spike and then die and then the car would die. Now it wont even turn over. I have taken it to two mechanics and no one has clue. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
  • leet2leet2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I’m looking for some help. My friend, who past away last June, has restored and upgraded a1990 300zx turbo. The car is in excellent condition and has close to 48,000 miles on it. He used all Stillen parts for the upgrades. He purchased the car for around $13,500 and from all the receipts I have the upgrades come to around $30,000. I know there is a problem with the air flow or it’s running to clean (too rich). When the twin turbo kicks in its dragging. Anyway, I live in South Georgia and I can’t find anyone within 200 miles that can help me with this car. The shop that did the upgrades was in Tallahassee and is closed down. My friend’s sister wants me to keep the car. I would love to keep the car but with no one anywhere around that can check out the car for me I really don’t know how much to offer her. I know this is an expensive car to keep. I need to find someone who can help me with the car and I also need to know how much to offer my friend’s sister. I want her to feel good about things but I don’t want to pay a lot to her and then have to turn around and put a lot back into the car. The car definitely needs to be running at its prime. I’ve driven the car when everything was set right and all I can say is “What a rush.” I really need some suggestions. Thanks.
  • netscape22000netscape22000 Member Posts: 2
    Owner of a 93 300zxtt with about 140,000 miles and getting some pretty heavy blue smoke out of the left exhaust upon starting and this continues for some time until it seems like it burns off and their is no more smoke. Will get it again if the car sits for some time and then it's started up again. Car also is very sluggish and does not seem to have full power. Looked at the plugs and found oil on some of them. Am I looking at a possible overhaul of the heads?
  • repairman982repairman982 Member Posts: 1
    I got my 84 300zx from the recycler under the freebies section. It wasn't running but hey what can more can you want it was free.
    I think one of the turbos is worn out and allowing oil to leak into the intake manifold. Seems to me if the heads (valve guides or stem seals) were worn you'd be getting smoke on both exhausts. I'm not sure how you do this but you need to check boost on both turbos. If the left one is lagging, this explains all your symptoms I think.
  • netscape22000netscape22000 Member Posts: 2
    Previously posted a message on getting some blue smoke on start up of my 93 twin turbo when disappears after the car runs for some time leading me to believe it's burning off oil. Was getting smoke mostly on left side of exhaust but now getting smoke on both sides. I am hearing that the car could need a entire head job which could run about $5000.00. Anyone else had anything similar happen to theirs that could give me any information? Car has about 140,000 miles and this is the first major mechanical issue.

Appreciate any info.....
    leaking turbo seal can do that, too, then engine vacuum sucks oil in through the turbo to the intake system.
  • zookeeper30165zookeeper30165 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I bought an "86 and hope to bring it back to life. A couple of immediate concerns
    are:
    1: occasionally when I shift to 2nd gear the engine will bog down as though
    I have depressed the clutch for a sec or two and then it will run normal.

2: The temp runs hot when I run the ac. I have been told that the cooling system and thermostat is ok and the problem may be the radiator may be the problem. It does not leak or appear to loose any antifreeze.

Any advise(other than shoot the car) will be greatly appreciated!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Regarding your second concern, the radiator could indeed be the problem, and if it's the original one it is likely the problem. I changed the original one in my '88 (naturaly aspirated) a couple of years ago, at 150,000 miles.

Please let us know what you do.
  • andydelmarandydelmar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 300ZX, with 63,000 miles, normally aspirated with some aftermarket additions- Stillen headers, HKS filter & exhaust, Dinan chip. I've owned the car since new and have always had a low idle problem. The car idles at 650 rpm and keeps searching for a higher idle (drops to 650 rpm, kicks up to 750 rpm, drops, etc.). It all effects a rough idle. IF I put on the A/C, the idle kicks up nicely to 900 rpm and is smooth. The dealer just keeps saying the computer checks out fine with no error codes. Any suggestions? Note- I've tried the 'idle adjustment screw', as has the dealer, and it doesn't fix the problem.
  • dpawelkadpawelka Member Posts: 1
    we have to replace the brake hardware on our 300z, I ordered and got the parts but since previous owner had some brake work done...the cooling hardware wasnt replaced back on. I have the hardware but cant figure out how to install correctly!! Anyone have a diagram or have done this???// HELP!!!!! Donna
  • sirev1sirev1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1995 ZX is an Automatic. I am looking to do some modifications to spice it up a bit. I read replies on another forum regarding a KABOOM 20,000 miles after a(kick [non-permissible content removed]) performance modification and that is EXACTLY what i am afraid of happening. I was thinking about adding a performance chip, exhaust system and maybe a cold air intake. Or maybe upgrading the turbos or the intercoolers. I have been looking for any information and recommendations about performance modifications and their long-term effects on my car. I love driving my car very much and hope to have it for a long time with the least amount of problems and damage as possible. But like I said, I would like to spice it up a bit.
  • timeischaostimeischaos Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 1984 300ZX and it was working for about a week then the ignition would not turn.. it would get about halfway between lock and off just far enough that the steering wheel would unlock i tried almost everything and thinkin i might have to replace the ignition wat do i do?
  • myputtputtmyputtputt Member Posts: 4
    It seems that 1985 through 1987 Z air conditioners are prone to a very specific type of problem. When manifold vacuum drops, the air conditioner switches from cold air to hot air. The bad news is that most A/C shops will charge $800 and up to fix it. The problem is typically caused by a vacuum leak under the dash. The control baffles and vacuum lines eventually degrade and leak. I've had 3 300zx's and they have all had this problem. After several trips to the wrecking yard I've worked out a way to get to access the baffles and vacuum controls. The final obstacle is the duct work. When I've worked it out, I plan to post it here but in the mean time I'd like to hear from anyone who has found a way to replace the baffles without cutting through the duct.
  • myputtputtmyputtputt Member Posts: 4
    I've had 3 Z's from 1985 to 1987 and they have all had a problem with cold air switching to hot air when manifold vacuum drops. The AC shops charge $800 and up to fix the problem but I'm working on a cheaper solution. After several trips to the wrecking yard I've worked out how to get to the vaccuum lines and baffles under the dash. The last obsticle is getting access to the linkage without cutting through the plastic air duct. Today I'm heading out to the wrecking yard to continue my quest. Thought I would post this and see if anyone has been able to fix this problem without having to do remove the display unit behind the steering wheel.