Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus X Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• ron48164ron48164 Member Posts: 8
    At this point the wife prefers the Edge. She's wanted the Freestyle the past couples of years but we always leased something else due to price.

The Freestyle is hard to find in SE Michigan, there are several in Denver.

I didn't know about the trans. Good reason not to go that route. If I extended the lease or my Explorer for 2 months (way under on mileage) I'll compare the X and the Edge. My salesman friend tells me the lease on the X is high right now.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi ron48164. Ford is no longer providing lease support on the 2007 Freestyle. It only has lease support on the 2008 Taurus X. So for now I will give you an idea of what the lease programs are like for the '07 Edge and the '08 Taurus X.

Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD are 0.75% and 61%, respectively. As you can see, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $1,250 lease cash that is currently available on it in your area.

Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Taurus X SEL AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 1.5% and 59%, respectively. Ford is currently providing $1,000 lease cash on this model.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • ron48164ron48164 Member Posts: 8
    I found out about the lack of lease support. Made it back to Detroit and spoke to my long time salesman.

I ended up getting a Edge SE-AWD In Denver. FMCC added an extra $500 here on 8/23, but not in Detroit. $1750 in rebates, 64% residual on 10,500/yr lease, .75% lease rate. $26000 on z-plan, $295/mo before taxes.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Post your best deal in terms of below invoice price:

07 Freestyle ???? below invoice.

08 T-X ???? below invoice.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Sort of a strange post...Why do people think that dealers will sell cars below the price they pay for them on a regular basis? Just curious. The final price always depends on financing, trade-in, etc. I don't expect any true replies to this post.
    Bobw3,

Sorry, I do not find it strange. Below invoice pricing is standard operating procedure for savvy car buyers.

Based on your comment, I make the assumption that you are in or affiliated with the car business. If not, then you know very little about purchasing a new car. If that is case, then sites like this are good places to learn.

Good Luck!
    Wrong on both end, but we'll see how many dealers respond to the post ;) nevermind...I see you're spamming several forums with the same post.
    The board is not designed for dealers but rather savvy buyers. I am not asking a dealer to respond to these posts.

I get the feeling this is a sensitive issue for you, I am sorry, we are just savvy buyers trying to save some money.

Yes, I am monitoring the market on a number of cars that may interest me. The invoice price is a good reference point. For most cars (depending on supply and demand) getting below invoice is very easy, the real question is how much below invoice can you go.

The current auto market is soft and as the housing market continues to decline it should become softer. I see that you are a Honda man, we would welcome your input!
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    Bobw3,

If you read more of the edmunds car buying tips you'd know that below invoice pricing does not mean the dealer is selling the car for less than they paid for it. Look up 'Dealer Hold Back' and you'll learn a lot more about this.

Chad
    Now, back to business.

07 Freestyle ???? below invoice. There should be some extremely good deals on this car.

08 T-X ???? below invoice.

Good Luck.
    I see you must be new to these forums. Are you expecting dealers to respond to your post? And if so, why do you think a dealer would respond to such a post that could be coming from anywhere in the country. Edmunds forums are not the place for dealers from all over the country to start selling cars. Maybe the Host can explain provide you some education.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    ... let's reserve the Prices Paid forums for reports of actual Prices Paid.

And, those posts about the format you'd like to see in each post? After two posts, they fall down the list and no one sees them, anyway..

So, if you are interested in Prices Paid, just sit back and read.... and then ask specific questions, if you feel a post needs clarification.

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    I am considering trading for a certified 2007 Limited (9 months old) with 23,000 miles and trading in my 2006 SE (2 years old) with 27,000 miles for $7,500 out the door. Does that seem reasonable?

The Limited has several advantages: side canopy airbags, leather interior, better stereo system, new tires, 2007 warranty and Ford certified, and so forth. Any thoughts?
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    The only meaningful question is are the additional features you get with the Limited worth $7,500? Personally I think not but that is dependent on your priorities.

Chad
    Even though the one you're buying is certified, does the wawrranty still run out at 36,000 miles? $7500 seems like a lot to pay for leather, side airbags (I thought they were standard on all models?), a better stereo and tires.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "side airbags (I thought they were standard on all models?)"

I believe they are standard now, but for 2006 you had to order the safety package to get 2nd and 3rd row canopy airbags (which I guess is what he meant).

I think front side airbags have been standard on all FS since 2005.
  • kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    The bumper-to-bumper would still be 36/36000. There are no side air bags on the 2006 SE model that I have.
  • francishsufrancishsu Member Posts: 13
    We've decided on purchasing a 2008 Limited FWD at the X-Plan price, which was about $400 over invoice. Combined with the $1000 cash incentive, ended up $600 below. Salesperson was great and the only one that suggested we test drive it by ourselves (and even let us have it for a couple of hours).

It was a challenging process and we were under a time crunch due to my old car being borderline unsafe to drive. In all, we considered/test drove the Rondo, Mazda5, Pacifica, Taurus X, CX-9 and the Outlook. My wife did most of the test driving, in some cases without me, since she was going to be the primary. Here's our take on each:
    Rondo - wife didn't like the look, which reminded her of the minivan she didn't want. I was impressed with how it could seat 7 given the relatively compact size.

Mazda5 - liked the looks better than the Rondo, but underpowered for our taste. Annoying, creepy salesperson who thought he should adjust the height/recline of my wife's seat for her. Ended up going to a different dealer for evaluating the Taurus X as a result.

Pacifica - good driving experience and features for the dollar, excellent financing and incentives. did not like the lack of headroom for third row and my wife hit her head twice trying to enter the vehicle.

Taurus X - good driving experience. Ended up a bit more expensive than the Pacifica due to financing and incentives. Impressed with the overall size, seating and functionality. Not the best at everything, but the only thing we didn't like about it was the excessive chrome in the interior. The salesperson was great and the only one who encouraged us to drive it by ourselves and let us have it for a couple of hours.

CX-9 - nicest drive and looks, but price pushing the limits of what we could afford. Did not like the smaller windows and blind spots. Front passenger seat does not fold down.

Outlook - did not test drive, but also expensive like the CX-9. Looks huge and probably would have met our requirements, but we felt the size was overkill for us.

It pretty much ended up being between the Taurus X and CX-9. Both met our requirements, but we would have had to sacrifice some features we wanted or pay thousands more for the CX-9 and the slightly nicer driving experience was not worth it for us. We'll be picking up our Taurus X tomorrow.

One thing that was frustrating was the options dealers ordered for their inventory. Options like chrome wheels and Sirius/XM radio for almost all of them, which I did not want. I wonder if dealers order those only for additional profit, forcing customers to get those extras in addition to the options they really want.
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    "I wonder if dealers order those only for additional profit, forcing customers to get those extras in addition to the options they really want."

hit squarely on the center of the head with that assessment...

If you could have waited they could have ordered you one without but the incentives may have been less or not at all on an ordered model as opposed to one they have and are "stuck" with to move off the lot. It's a toss up some days as depending on the deal sometimes you can get a few more "features" for similar money witout the waiting period for it to be made.

regardless, enjoy your new T-reX
    Did you pay any additional fees, such as a doc fee?
    We had to pay a fee for the license transfer from the trade-in car.. about $25 I think. The doc fee of $180 we did not have to pay because Ford reimburses that to the dealer for X-Plan purchases.
  • tmltml2tmltml2 Member Posts: 20
    Ford doesn't reimburse document fees, because they are pure profit to the dealer. less the minimum wage they pay to their runner to take all the documents of the day to the DMV.
    Oh, so the guy was feeding us a line about the reimbursement I guess. Regardless, he crossed it off and we did not have to pay it. But I wonder why he eliminated the doc fee if he did not have to do it.

UPDATE: Google search revealed that Ford prohibits dealers from charging the doc fee for X-plan purchases.
    That's correct. When I bought my '05 Freestyle on the X-Plan there was no doc fee.
    Current Update

07 Freestyle ???? below invoice. There should be some extremely good deals on this car.

08 T-X $600 below invoice.

Good Luck.
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    Ordered it today to get it with SYNC by Xmas (maybe).

Taurus X Limited, Ice Blue, Camel Leather
    Nav system, DVD entertainment system, aux climate, satellite radio, Limited Conv. Group

MSRP: $35175
    Got it for Invoice: $32700
    Plus there'll likely be some rebates in December.
    Advertisement fee (FDAF) of $443 included.
    Doc fee of $50 and tax, license on pickup.
  • essiencessienc Member Posts: 6
    I got my Limited for 20,000.00 out the door. I traded in a van that they gave me 4,500.00 for, the MSRP was almost 32,000.00
    very tickled with my deal and the car. buying towards the end of the year and the end of the month is a big motivator for the lots to make deals.

very pleased
    Please post all deal details under the Freestyle Prices Paid board.

Include all details, such as trade-in (how much did they make on the trade?), doc fees, price paid before TTL, and invoice price.

There should have been somewhere in the neighborhood of $3-5K of factory to dealer and factory to customer rebates for this car.

On the surface, this sounds like a pretty good deal.
    What year/mileage/make van did you trade?
    I think they did away with that board, just post it here.

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Actually... this is the Freestyle board... we just re-named it... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I traded a Dodge Grand Caravan 1999 with 110,000 miles. The van was in pretty nice shape.
    Seloo,
    Thanks, I think I worked a pretty good deal as well. It took about 6 weeks of negotiating, using very helpful information gathered at Edmunds and other sources to bargain with.

I had determined early on that because the Freestyle is being renamed the Taurus X there was no reason for me to take the huge hit in depreciation. Normally I wouldn't want a car that was being discontinued, but my thoughts on it are that Ford is counting on this vehicle and the 500/Taurus to rejuvinate Ford's sales, so it's safe to say that if Ford is banking on this vehicle, so can I.

The price of a used '07 is approx. 23,000, so that's a steep drop for a car in the same year of release. And as I said before , it's because of the name change, but all the same, I didn't want to eat the difference. I waited until the '08's were being paraded on the lots and just kept working the deal.

I think they gave me the deal just to get rid of me ;)
    Okay, not including your trade, and adding in any extra fees, how much under invoice was this deal?

Please post the numbers. Thanks.

08 T-X $600 below invoice.

Good Luck.
    Ford's added an additional $500 cash incentive (can't be combined with financing incentives), at least for my region. So X-Plan purchasers who do not opt for special financing should be able to get it for over $1000 below invoice.
  • humblecoderhumblecoder Member Posts: 125
    Seems like there aren't many being purchased, judging by the lack of postings!

The Taurus X is on my "short list" of vehicles that I am considering for my next auto purchase. Top safety pick, roomy, good value (especially since I am eligible for X Plan pricing). If this board is a barometer of sales, I guess we should expect $3000+ incentives in the coming months. I think I am going to hold out for $3000 cash back PLUS 0% financing on top of my X Plan price.
    seloo.new to this forum.sorry about not having all the paperwork right in front of me.just got back from my first road trip (great drive, btw)

here's the breakdown

Car has pretty much every feature except electric pedals, DVD player and Nav

original MSRP 31,295.00
    my price 23,995.00
    trade in 4,901.00
    transfer fee 279.00
    sales tax 572.90
    LTT 55.00
    total cash price 20,000.00 out the door

7300.00 below MSRP

Found another Freestyle about 20 minutes away that was 6000.00 below MSRP. Both cars had comparable features. Liked the color better, but not enough to pay 1300.00 more.

Don't know if it's because I live in an isolated area, but at the end of the year you can really get great deals..I guess there's not enough traffic compared to larger metro areas.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    "I think I am going to hold out for $3000 cash back PLUS 0% financing on top of my X Plan price."

I think you may have a very long wait. The "X" has started to sell in my area.
    $4900 below invoice

$4000 worth of combined factory to dealer and factory to customer incentives.

Is this correct?

Please refresh me, how did you do on the trade?

Thanks
  • humblecoderhumblecoder Member Posts: 125
    Personally, I hope you are wrong about my "very long wait" to get $3000 incentives. I am not sure what area you are in, but in my area (NYC metro), they are already offering $1500 rebates, and this is near the beginning of the model year.
    I think he said that it was $7300 below MSRP, not invoice. And he traded in a 1999 Caravan with 110,000 miles and got $4901.
    Understand, about $4900 below invoice.

Looks like he did okay on the trade.
  • david101david101 Member Posts: 6
    I am about to close on an '08 Taurus X AWD Limited, with DVD, Power Moonroof, Chrome Wheels, Limited Conv. package, Satellite Radio and Limited Wood package. I am looking at a lease payment of $452 month, for a 39 month, 36,000 mile lease. This is based off of an x-plan price of $33,267 with a $1000 rebate (I think I could get another $500). Any thoughts out there on wether or not this is a good deal. I am located in NY.
    I have to comment again on my first road trip...great ride. Went through the mountians of W Va and Pa. Smooth transmission, plenty of pick up.

seloo.....sorry I didn't put up the right calculation...I hadn't read all the previous threads to see the formulary being used to base the bottom line upon.

Not sure how my numbers stack up to all the others, but I'm very pleased. This was my first "all on my own" car purchase.

And this "he" is a "she" ;)

My husband has always done the dealing, and I think I did well for my first time out the gate.
    Post your best deal in terms of below invoice price: Please include any extra fees and discuss your trade if you had one.

07 Freestyle $4900 below invoice.

08 T-X $600 below invoice. (We should have some better deals on this car)

Good Luck.
    You did very well! Congrats on your purchase.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    "07 Freestyle $4900 below invoice."

"08 T-X $600 below invoice."

I find both of these extremely unlikely. Someone is posting misinformation.
    Actually, with the rebates, and the fact that the new TaurusX is on the lots, I'm not surprised by the$4900 below invoice just so the dealer can clear the lot of an old Freestyle.

Plus they have $1000 cash back on the Taurus X too.
  • david101david101 Member Posts: 6
    I am about to close on an '08 Taurus X AWD Limited, with DVD, Power Moonroof, Chrome Wheels, Limited Conv. package, Satellite Radio and Limited Wood package. I am looking at a lease payment of $452 month, for a 39 month, 36,000 mile lease, no CAP reduction, taxes, fees, title upfront. This is based off of an x-plan price of $33,267 with a $1000 rebate (I think I could get another $500). Any thoughts out there on whether or not this is a good deal? I am located in NY.
This discussion has been closed.