Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Taurus X Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Options
    passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    The rebate is between Ford Motor and the buyer. The dealer merely passes it along, but it doesn't come out of their end of the deal. If you buy a car for $250 over invoice, and there is a $1,000 rebate from the manufacturer, you are still paying $250 over invoice as far as the dealer is concerned. It is misleading to then say that you paid $750 below invoice when in fact you did not.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    But if the invoice is $26,000 and you paid $25,500 then you DID pay $500 under invoice, but if you're posting this information you should just indicate that it included a $1000 factory rebate. Whether or not the dealer gained or lost $500 on the deal doesn't change the fact that the buyer bought the car for $500 under invoice.
  • Options
    oldgretscholdgretsch Member Posts: 7
    Eddie Bauer Package w/ Aux climate controll, heated seats, back up sensor. Black w/ tan interior

Purchased 10/12/07 Silver Spring MD

List $30,155 + 750 Dest. = 30,905
    Invoice $28.193
    Less $1,500 rebate
    Paid $26,693 + 750 Dest. = 27,443

My X replaces a totaled '01 Escape :sick: . This is a nice daddy mobile, not too station wagon like. The EB package makes the X much more, well manly :) The first tank of gas netted me around 17.5 mpg, not bad since most of the driving was city/suburban stop and go. When I first filled her up and reset the computer, I was up to 30 mpg on a 20 mile stretch of interstate...I can't wait to get her out on a nice long trip.
  • Options
    david101david101 Member Posts: 6
    I am about to close on an '08 Taurus X AWD Limited, with DVD, Power Moonroof, Chrome Wheels, Limited Conv. package, Satellite Radio and Limited Wood package. I am looking at a lease payment of $452 month, for a 39 month, 36,000 mile lease. No CAP cost, taxes, title and fees paid upfront. This is based off of an x-plan price of $33,267 with a $1000 rebate (I think I could get another $500). Any thoughts out there on whether or not this is a good deal. I am located in NY.
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I don't know about the X discounts, but I paid $6000 below MSRP last March on an 07 SEL, power package, convenience group and moonroof. MSRP price $29060, I paid $23060. I know that's not invoice price, but it was too deep a discount to pass up
  • Options
    selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Can you provide some more details concerning your deal.

Based on the options you provided, I am having a hard time matching your numbers to the Edmunds site.

Also please provide information on any extra fees you paid for this car. Did you have a another car to trade?

Thanks
  • Options
    EB base price $28,970
    Aux climate 650
    heated seats 240
    reverse sensing 295
    Total 30,155
    Dest charge 750
    MSRP 30,905

The invoice price is from the Ford web site. I used the search dealer inventory option and it listed the invoice price for my X. If that was the true invoice price, I don't know, I didn't check it against Edmunds site.

I did not trade in my Escape, it was totaled before I got a chance to go through that fun process with the dealer. I do know that I got a lot more from the insurance company than I would have if I traded it in. I financed it privately so I did not use FMCO. The only extra fee I paid was the $100 dealer fee that Maryland allows the dealerships to add. The dealer did fill up the car with a tank of gas and I got a couple of years of free oil changes.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions....
  • Options
    "The invoice price is from the Ford web site."

Huh??? Since when does Ford give out invoice prices on it's web site?
  • Options
    Did you see the dealer's invoice?

Look at the Edmunds' site:

Your base price is about $1K below the Edmunds base price.

Aux climate is right.

Heated seats are standard (unless it is the 2nd row).

Reverse sensing is also standard.

Strange?

Using the Edmunds' numbers (base + aux + des)28,902 - $1,500 (rebate) + $100 (fee) = $27,502 which is very close to your final number. ???
  • Options
    Every day my friend. Have you every used the ford website to look at the dealer's inventory? If you click on a car it will give you a pop up on the side that gives you the vehicle info, window sticker, cash back offers, get an internet price and invoice. It is all right there.

Let me know if you see it, you may have to allow pop ups for this website....
  • Options
    I am not sure about your info but per ford's website, heated seats are optional on the eb package....

Well, I am off to enjoy a nice ride in my X...beer fest time. Designated driver of course :(
  • Options
    Current Update

Post your best deal in terms of below invoice price:

07 Freestyle $4900 below invoice.

08 T-X $1400 below invoice.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Yes friend, I have probably used that website longer than yourself, and have used every feature that is available there. I say again.. there are no invoice prices given out on fordvehicles.com. At least not where I live. Perhaps local dealers do not want Ford sharing this info here.
  • Options
    http://www51.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/Dispatch.jsp?__action=&__action2=&.Curr- entState=SearchServiceZipCode&DispatchBindingSet=zipcode&zipCode=45401&processZi- pCode=ToVLS&statetoken=

I just checked and if you click on the buttons to search a local dealer and select a specific car, they list the total invoice cost. If you click on the word "Total Invoice" a pop up appears stating,
    "Total Invoice:
    Total Invoice is the amount that Ford Motor Company charges its dealer for a vehicle. Total Invoice may not represent the actual dealer cost, as there are holdbacks, floor plan financing assistance, dealer advertising fund fees, shipping, and charges for gasoline that may be included in the total invoice. Additionally, there may be future rebates, allowances, discounts, and incentive awards provided from Ford Motor Company to the dealer. This data is provided for informational purposes only and actual pricing information "
  • Options
    Hmmmnn... I don't believe that "Total Invoice" is an available option where I happen to live. I can see everything else that has been mentioned when I click on a vehicle.. but not that. It must only be in certain markets that Ford is experimenting with this.
  • Options
    I actually tried a couple of different zip codes, and some give Total Invoice while others don't.
  • Options
    humblecoderhumblecoder Member Posts: 125
    I just wanted to give independent confirmation that I am also able to see the invoice price on Ford's website.
  • Options
    Apparently.. it's up to the dealers in a particular area as to whether or not this information is shared with the public over fordvehicles.com. No dice in my area.
  • Options
    It's actually pretty smart for the dealers to post it, since there already are a number of websites you can go to get the information. Since it isn't secret, by posting it the dealer indicate a sense of openness and honesty.
  • Options
    essiencessienc Member Posts: 6
    Granted, I'm very new to this forum, but I'm picking up quite a bit of hostility from a poster or two.....the last two deals listed ( mine included) have been called out and one poster actually came out and said that basically we had to be lying because these deals couldn't be right...then a pissin match over invoice price from another person getting a deal..

Am I missing something.is there some sort of prize at stake that has people's blood pressure up, or are some people just argumentative.....

I must tell you.I was a bit offended by people questioning my deal simply because I hadn't read over 300 posts to know what information to put out there............then another person posted that they highly doubted the veracity of the deal..................huh???

Why would I lie.........I'm very excited about my new car and my first big deal and I am admittedly a new member here and I'm met with a bit of hostility......what's up with that?

Do I need to scan the freakin paperwork from the dealership?

just let me know......I'm not used to having people doubt my word, in person or online......basically I'm really trying to figure where it's coming from.....

sheesh :confuse:

p.s....I just noticed this came up as a reply to bobw3.............this is not directed at him.other forums I use allows you to hit the reply button on the last message to carry on the thread...my bad
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Don't sweat it...

Members in the Prices Paid forums tend to be very detail-oriented.. If they see a great deal, they want to make sure they have all the numbers, before they make a fool out of themselves trying to get an impossible deal.

I don't think anyone questioned your honesty (we frown on labeling other members as liars.. ;) ).

It looks like you got a very good deal... Thanks for posting your experience! Stick around and join in the other Freestyle/TaurusX discussions.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

P.S. You'll always find posts that you don't like.. Just use the scroll wheel.. (I have to read them).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Exactly like the host said. I don't think anyone thinks someone is lying, but they just want to get all of the details.ou

For example if someone tells me that the dealer dropped $5,000 from the sticker price the first impression would be...hey, great deal. But then after getting all of the details you find out that they spent a couple of thousand more then they needed to on an extended warranty, and they only received $2,000 for a trade that was valued at $10,000, then the $5,000 off sticker isn't as impressive sounding.

Another thing about car buying is that car prices are similar to house prices, in that in different geographic areas you can find different prices for the same thing. Maybe not as extreme, but if you're in Southern California, you may find that a Taurus X will cost you a lot more than if your dealership is outside of Detroit.

And it will vary by lot. You may get a great deal at the end of a model year from a dealer who's just trying to clear their lot. Or from a dealer who only needs one more sale to meet their quota. Or from a dealer where you've bought cars from every 3 years for the past 30 years, so they're willing to give you a good deal.

Bottom line is that just because someone is posting that they bought a Taurus X or whatever for $1000 under invoice will have very little to do with the price you can expect to pay. And if you end up paying $500 over invoice for your Taurus X, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're a stupid buyer who go ripped off, because there could have been many factors in the deal where the guy got $1000 below invoice that don't apply in your case (eg georgraphic location, dealer inventory, history, specific incentives at the time of purchase, etc).

Think of all of the information here as a very rough guide. The simplest thing to do is go to a couple of different dealers. That way you can test drive the vehicle you're looking for a few different times and have a few different prices that you can compare.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    We want you to feel good about being a member here..

So, apologies if some of us come across the wrong way.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I gotta agree. I didn't think I would be questioned on my deal from the folks in here like I do from my auditors at work about my accounting techniques :surprise:

But I also understand a healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing. It does help flesh out the numbers. I guess it is all how the questions are asked. And the responses to the answers. At least now everyone who reads this forum knows that you can get the invoice price from some Ford dealers off the Ford website. I thought the invoices were listed for all X's on the Ford website and everyone could view them...not.

For those that have not purchased their X yet, good luck with your deal. I looked a just about every car in the X's class and felt the X was the car for me. Now that I have owned the X for 10 days, I still feel the same way :)
  • Options
    francishsufrancishsu Member Posts: 13
    Wait, is destination charge supposed to be included or not for the "best deal" numbers?

The $1400 below invoice for the Taurus X was before the $750 destination charge right? I assumed we were including the destination charge.
  • Options
    It was very confusing but, we included the Des Charge in the invoice equation.

Note Post #357: Using the Edmunds' numbers (base + aux + des)28,902 - $1,500 (rebate) + $100 (fee) = $27,502 which is very close to your final number. $1400 below invoice.
  • Options
    Going by post #351, he paid 27,443 (26,693 + 750)

I looked up the invoice on Edmunds with the options he got and the Total w/options and destination charge is 28,485 (26,703 + $566 aux climate + $257 reverse sensing + $209 heated seats + $750 destination)

So he paid closer to $1000 below invoice?
  • Options
    It's extremely unlikely that anyone is paying "below invoice" for a Taurus X. Any rebate from the manufacturer is a separate transaction and does not figure-in to what you are actually giving the dealership for their car. I think some are confusing purchase price with the "out-the-door" price,(i.e. after rebate). Anyone claiming to have paid "$1,400 below invoice" should clarify that they are figuring this in a very non-traditional way, and in a way that only end's up confusing most who read this thread.
  • Options
    Good catch.

I was looking at a Limited not the EB, agree it is closer to $1000 below invoice.
  • Options
    Current Update

08 T-X $1000 below invoice. (Correction)

Good Luck.
  • Options
    It may be "non-traditional", but it's simple to compare what the customer pays after all rebates vs. some fixed benchmark amount whether that is dealer invoice or MSRP. Maybe you would personally feel more comfortable if the prices paid are compared to MSRP?

Ultimately I think people want to know most what they can expect to pay out the door compared to some standard price. And I would expect the '07 Freestyle price comparison to show thousands in savings compared to the '08 Taurus today. By your argument of ignoring factory incentives, this would not be obvious.

And by the way.. the current best price is about $50-100 over what an X-plan purchaser would have gotten that for.
  • Options
    I'm hardly in favor of "ignoring" factory incentives. To the contrary.. what I am advocating is that they should be spoken out-loud and called as such. Those who say they "paid below invoice" for a car without mentioning that they in fact paid above invoice before the rebate was applied are intentionally misleading us all.
  • Options
    I don't know, I paid w/ dest $27,543 including the $100 dealer fee. The invoice on the ford site was $28,943. Back out the current $1,500 incentives and you end up with $27,543. Not hard math. Really. Plus I have my paperwork right in front of me. No one else seems have any real documentation to backup their opinions other than a few brave posters in here. Sorry if anyone is a nonbeliever about the deals folks are getting on their X's, get over it. To prove my price, why doesn't someone go buy an X using the internet price process off the ford site and see what they get. It is that simple. Sure would quiet some in here. Plus they would be getting a great vehicle.
  • Options
    The Ford site total invoice price and MSRP is different from the Edmunds numbers. So it's really a matter of choosing an agreed upon way of doing these calculations and sticking with it.
  • Options
    :confuse: I am about to close on an '08 Taurus X AWD Limited, with DVD, Power Moonroof, Chrome Wheels, Limited Conv. package, Satellite Radio and Limited Wood package. I am looking at a lease payment of $452 month, for a 39 month, 36,000 mile lease. This is based off of an x-plan price of $33,267 with a $1000 rebate (I think I could get another $500 in rebates). Any thoughts out there on whether or not this is a good deal. I am located in NY.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Ask about these programs to see if you qualify:

Retail customer cash= $500 - program #11424

Swap Bonus Customer Cash = $1,000 program #11422

A/Z/D-Plan Customer Cash = $500 program #90220

Not sure if you qualify for the last one, but for sure you should get the first 2 unless you opt for special financing from Ford.
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    The current way to state that deal, then, would be to say that you paid invoice, minus a $1,500 rebate.

You did NOT pay $1500 under invoice. I've been floating all over these prices paids boards because we're not sure what we want, and that's the way the most of these discussions define terms.
  • Options
    Thanks the first two are already baked in. Not sure if I qualify for the 3rd. Regardless, do you think the numbers I provided sound good? I spoke to the dealer yesterday and he informed me that the lease actwaully went down to 444 per month. I would appreciate your thoughts.

David
  • Options
    David - I wish I could be more help, but I have never leased a vehicle so I am not sure if the monthly payment is good or not. One suggestion would be to break down the transaction into it's part (vehicle price, interest, residual value, terms, etc)and compare to other lease deals.
  • Options
    Current Update

08 T-X $1000 below invoice.

Prices include rebates.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    akousenakousen Member Posts: 8
    Don't forget to look at Residual Value... A good lease deal is one where the residual value is your favor. You have paid $17,628 over the course of the lease, you will need to see what impact that has made on your residual value.

In May of 2007 I bought a 2007 Freestyle- Limited with every option imaginable, lease terms were not good, but rebates were excellent and loan was for 0.0%, and I decided to buy the car. At the end of 60 months I own it.

PS I love the car!!!
  • Options
    raezmom3raezmom3 Member Posts: 20
    I haven't driven the taurus x but have read all the reviews and expert opinions. I am either going to buy online or with a military car sales. Has anyone purchased a car through military car sales? Do they really look for the best price
  • Options
    Get a quote from the military sales store at the PX and shop it against some dealers. In the "old days" you could get some great deals from military sales, especially on BMWs, Volvos, etc...

With so much competition, I do not think this is true today.

Depending on the state where you register the vehicle once you return to the US, you may be able to avoid sales tax (AZ is one, GA is not one). States like TN/KY allow military members to purchase cars without paying any sales tax if you are assigned to Fort Campbell.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings david101. The fact that you are able to purchase (or in this case lease) the Taurus X that you want through Ford's X-Plan basically guarantees that you are getting it for a good price. You can always double check that the dealer you are working with is using Ford Credit's base lease rate of 3% to calculate your monthly payment, but other than that you should be in good shape.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    Current Update

08 T-X $1000 below invoice.

With $2000 in rebates, at a minimum current deals on 08s should be at least $2000 below invoice.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    akousenakousen Member Posts: 8
    Check out the residual value and all the other terms that Ford is asking at the end of the lease. The Reserve value identifies what they think the car is worth at the end of the lease term, and its also the cost of the car if you decide to sell it or purchase it when the lease is over.

Check out "lease traders . com" and see what previous owners experiences are. I have leased several cars- BUT always negotiated the residual value to make sure I was not going to be gouged at the end. My company offered a buying plan for vehicles.

If you are a COSTCO member, they have a car purchasing program- it could be they have a dealer willing to negotiate better terms in your favor.

I own a 2007 Freestyle, AWD, Limited , with options similar to yours (Sat radio was not available with the entrtainment DVD). In May, I was able to get $7000 off the sticker, plus the DVD removed from invoice. (Ford Sticker was 31,000 + $4600 in options) The dealership is a gem.
  • Options
    larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    My San Jose, CA dealer just told me that my Taurus X ordered in August with Sync (job 2) will not be delivered until February as "retail Taurus X production is on hold through the first of the year."

Does this make sense to anyone?

I may cancel my order for the TX, and wait to see what's available next year. I've not been happy with it's mileage or interior.
  • Options
    I suggest you do a dealer inventory search in your area to see if there are any equipped as you want. In the Dallas area some have arrived at dealers w/synch.
  • Options
    larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    Yep, I did that already. None with Sync were found in the SF bay area. I suspect it's a zoning problem, which my dealer also said. None with Sync are making it to CA any time soon.

And the TX Limtied I did find, even without Sync, had much less of the other features I wanted, and many I didn't want.
  • Options
    It's too bad.......I owned an 05 Freestyle Limited and now have an 08 TX Limited w/o synch and I think they are great vehicles. The dealer also had a black Limited w/synch on the lot, but I don't like black and didn't need the synch feature. No doubt there is a lot of competition in this segment, but the TX is an all around excellent performer for the money. I looked closely at the CX9, but chose the TX because it was more value for the money in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.