Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus X Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Taurus X Sales

September: 1,105 3,065 -63.9

YTD: 19,578 30,411 -35.6

Buyers beware, this car is not a good value!
    Wholesale prices are falling, we are getting close to 1/2 of the MSRP.

Do not buy this car, bargain prices are ahead!
    New Wholesale Prices:

Taurus X Limited Models:

Factory Lease Car $16,800 12,891 Avg Condition SILVER

Factory Lease Car $16,700 7,415 Avg Condition BLUE

Do not pay over $17,500 for an Avg Limited, $17,000 for a EB, and $16,000 for a SEL.

Prices continue to fall each day!
  • rainmakrrainmakr Member Posts: 16
    I'm looking to purchase a new Taurus X Eddie Bauer or Limited, AWD. Depending on the configuration I find, the MSRP is between $34,500 and $35,500. With the current rebates at $3,500, I'm curious if you think that $10,000 off of sticker asking too much?

Thanks,
    John
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    Don't start with the MSRP. For better accuracy on the deal possible, start with the Invoice price which may be $5K below MSRP, depending on options. You can get Invoice from many places, including Consumer Reports for a few bucks.

Last year, I bargain hunted between dealers and eventually got my Taurus X FWD Limited at $300 below Invoice. But in today's tough economy, you may be able to get $1000 below invoice, especially at the end of the year clerance with a lot of the Taurus X's going into the recycling bin out back. Then ask for the cash back deals on top of this. Also, if you're willing to wait, you can get another $500 off by being a member of American Quarter Horse Association for 30 days. Go to www.aqha.com and check on the deals and become a member.

In my opinion the Taurus X is a steal of a deal, especially with the discounts. I've had mine for 8 months now and am still extremely happy with the car every time I drive it and use another one of use all the great features.
    John,

I have already turned down $6K+ under invoice deals on this car (that is about $8K off the MSRP). This is not a bad car, it is just a very poor value when compared to others on the market (go back and read my posts for the reasons why). I doubt the dealers would take $10K off at this point, but it cannot hurt to ask. I would wait until more rebates and factory to dealer cash is make available.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the replies. As expected, none of the Ford dealers will touch $10K off sticker. We might hold out for the November Taurus X discounts. I do know to deal off invoice. The discount I'm seeking equates to about $10,000 off sticker and is easier to calculate.

We're also looking some Mazda CX-9s that a local dealer has. Build date on some of the CX-9s is more than a year ago and the initial reply to my e-mail inquiry was $8,500 off. I suspect there is more there as some folks in the Mazda thread are reporting $10K off.

John
    John,

This is a good car, but not a good value.

The wholesale price on a used 08 TX is very close to 1/2 of the MSRP.

If you wait a couple of months (maybe less), you should be able to get a nice used one for 1/2 price.

Without a doubt the CX-9 is a better value.
    Wholesale EB models are going for as low as $15.5K, the average is around $16.3K. We are getting very close to 1/2 of the MSRP.

Prices are going lower each week!

WOW! This car depreciates about 50% in its first year!
    My wife received a call today offering us $9K off a $39K sticker. We were looking at models that stickered around $35,000 for which we wanted to spend $25,000, so we passed. A few hours later we drove out of a Mazda dealership with a CX-9. Details on that deal are in the Mazda forum.

John
  • butchsanbutchsan Member Posts: 3
    Will someone please tell me what EB means.
    Thanks Butchsan
    Eddie Bauer

TX Trims:

SEL $

EB $$

Limited $$$
  • bronco1977bronco1977 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a used Taurus X Limited AWD.
    There's only a few in my area for sale:
    http://www.denverdirect.com/detail-2008-ford-taurus_x-limited-3360255.html
    http://sill-terhar.vinmanagersites.com/AutoDetails2.aspx?ID=2935216
    What do you think is a good price on these?
    Or should I buy new with all the rebates and discounts out there?
    Bronco,

Neither have Sync (these early 08 models).

Both are rental cars. The white one was purchased from the auction in late August, average prices were about $18K at the time. In October, TXs were selling at auction for around $16.5K for a car with that many miles.

Based on my research, it is very likely that both cars are marked up about $2.5K each, this is normal for most dealers.

As for buying new or used, I recommend waiting. TX is a very poor selling car. Ford is likely to increase incentives, while the wholesale price of this car is falling weekly.

It may be worth driving a couple of hundred of miles to get a better deal from another dealer!
    Average Wholesale Prices:

EB $15.3 - $16.3

Limited $16.4

The prices are falling weekly.

We are very near or at 1/2 off of MSRP.

I had a recent conversation with a person that is part of the car market. Sales in her area (South) are down as much a 75% for some dealers. She stated that prices will continue to fall in the next few months.

Time on our your side!
  • bmmillerbmmiller Member Posts: 9
    Average Wholesale Prices:
    EB $15.3 - $16.3
    Limited $16.4
    The prices are falling weekly.
    We are very near or at 1/2 off of MSRP

I'm new here so sorry if this is a bad question but how do I use this info to get a better deal on a new 2008 Taurus X?

Thanks
    Bmmiller,

Please go back and read previous posts so you can get a full understanding of both the new and used car market for this car.

As a new car the TX is not a good value!!! But, I am not saying it is a bad car.

Ford sales numbers will be released today.

New Ford incentives should be out tomorrow.

There are thousands of new 08s still on the lots. The 09s are ready for delivery. Additionally, the wholesale value of the slightly used 08s is nearly 50% of the MRSP.

Other crossovers in this market are selling for $10K off MRSP, to date Ford dealers have not been willing (due to low incentives from the factory) to drop the price that low.

It will be interesting to see November's customer incentives and the factory to dealer cash.
    First of all thanks for the quick and nice response. After I posted, I did go and read old posts and realized I should have done that first. I guess this info can't be used to get a better deal on a new TX, but more so it should make me realize that I shouldn't buy a new TX. I have two friends that work for Ford and each is giving up their current TX for a new one so I have two used ones to pick from right now. If I go with the TX that is what I will do. I am choosing between the TX, CX9, Flex and maybe the Traverse.
    I have a friend who works for Ford and is turning in his 2008 TX Ltd with 9000 miles this week. He told me the price on it would be 22k. I know it has SYNC and a DVD player but am not sure about other options. Seems a little high to me. Any thoughts on that price? Is that price negotiable? Would there be any incentives that would bring that price down? Thanks.
    I think $22K is too high! A few months ago a Ltd with DVD was going for $18K at auction.

Today, the average auction price for a Ltd is around $16.5.

Keep looking!
    Wow, this is bad!

Taurus X 1,329 4,204 -68.4 (Monthly)
    20,907 34,615 -39.6 (YTD)

A decline of more than 65% for three months in a row and a 40% decline YTD.

Sales for this car are DOA.

It will take huge incentives to move the excess new 08 TXs still on the dealer's lots.

It may take $10-12K off MSRP to make this car a decent value.
    November's customer incentives remained the same.

The key is to find out what the factory to dealer incentives are for this car.

Unless we are talking at least $10K plus off MSRP, this car is a poor value.

Do not be in a hurry to buy this car!!!
    Average Condition EB: $14.9 to $16K depending on mileage

Average Condition Limited: $13.9 to $15.5K

Prices are falling a like a rock!
  • forddad90forddad90 Member Posts: 16
    How long before we start seeing prices fall on dealer lots? I've been looking for one for the past month....I'm hoping that it'll happen soon.
    Hang on, rumor has it that customer incentives for new 08s will increase dramatically on or about 18 Nov.

As for the retail price for used cars, prices on the net are falling every week. You must understand that some of these cars were purchased months ago at auction when prices were higher. Most dealers have these cars marked up $2.5 to $3K. Most would like to get $1K profit on these cars, but some (depending on business) are willing to sell them close to or at cost.

Find out how long the car has been on the lot. If it is a couple of months then offer $3K below the asking price and see what happens.

Good Luck
  • freestylephilfreestylephil Member Posts: 7
    Paid $15,000 for a 2007 Freestyle FWD CVT with 22K from L&M Motors in Loveland, CO. It has F & R temp control, 6CD player, 3 rows of seats and I think that's it for options. The thing drives flawlessly and on one 350mile trip averaged 30.8mpg driving mostly 65-75mph with AC on about half the trip. City driving is about 21mpg. Have only put around 1,000 miles on it but could not be happier! OK, heated leather seats would have made me happier. ;)
    Thanks for the heads up! How likely is it that the increased incentives for new 08s will have an impact on the price of used 08s sitting on dealers' lot? If the incentives are right, then I might just opt for a new 08 instead of buying a used one. I appreciate your willingness to share this information.
    It is my understanding that the incentive maybe $6K or more on a new 08 TX. We will have to wait and see.

If that is the case, you should be able to purchase a TX at $8-9K off the MSRP. Still not sure if that is a good deal considering the extremely poor resale/wholesale value of this car.

Wholesale prices are starting to go below 50% of the MSRP. 55% below MSRP would be a good price for an average condition low mileage 08 TX.

Good Luck!
    I just read that Ford may be initiating the employee discount on Nov. 19. If that is the case, does that mean it will be the only incentive for the Taurus X or will that possibly include other incentives such as cash back? I don't think that the employee discount is enough to win me over for buying a new vehicle especially what you said about the resale/wholesale value of the car. I know this kind of deal doesn't do any favors for car dealerships so it makes me wonder if they might be more compelled to offer better deals on a used 08 TX.
    We will have to wait and see what the incentives will be on the 19th.

As for the used TXs, it depends on what the dealer paid for the car. Prices will come down, but dealers do not like to (but will in some cases) sell at a loss to get the car off the lot. In most cases, the decision to sell at a loss or not sell is linked to how the car is financed (either the dealer owns the car or it is financed by a third party).

Do not be in a hurry, more bad news for the auto market is coming. The next 90 days is one of the slowest times for car dealers.
    Wholesale prices continue decline:

Average Condition EB with average miles:

As low as $14.5K

Average Condition Ltd with average miles:

As low as $14K
    Ford to offer employee pricing, cash incentives.

This starts on the 19th of November and ends 5 January 09.

The incentives must be really large to make a TX a good deal (at least $10-12K off the MSRP). One-year-old TXs sell for less than 50% of the MSRP at the wholesale auctions.
    I agree that the discount must be high for it to be considered a great deal due to the poor resale value of the car. I also just read that the TX is getting the axe soon with its final production in January along with Sable. Too bad though, it's a great car but largely neglected by Ford's marketing team.
  • danallandanallan Member Posts: 32
    Obviously, most of us Freestyle owners love the car. I shake my head at the brainiacs at Ford HQ for deciding not to promote this car. Their latest venture is the Flex and they tout it as getting a wonderful 24 mpg. Well, my Freestyle gets over 28 mpg highway. Is it any wonder they are going broke? It isn't a beautiful looking car, functional, but it is no Pontiac Aztec either...now that was ugly.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    There is a plain Jane X that I have been eyeing for a couple of months now. Currently a $3500 rebate i s available. Hoping that Ford may kick that up to about $5k and then we may pull the trigger at 2k below invoice. That would price it at about $18k for a FWD with no options. What do you think Seloo? Too much? Not enough? I do have a friend that I can get x-plan but I think it needs to be more highly discounted than just x-plan and rebate. Maybe I am nuts.
    It cost toooo Much!

Wait until the 19th.

Better yet get a used one for much less.

You need to read the entire thread!

Good Luck!
    Currently a $3500 rebate i s available. Hoping that Ford may kick that up to about $5k and then we may pull the trigger at 2k below invoice.

You should be negotiating from invoice (keep in mind, invoice isn't always what the car cost the dealer). If there is a $3,500 rebate, you should be paying at least $3,000 under invoice. And, since these cars are selling so slowly, you I would push for the full rebate under invoice ($3,500 under invoice with the current rebates).

Keep in mind that Seloo has indicated increased incentives next week, so it may be prudent to wait.

John
    If you are looking for value, this is most likely not your car, the CX-9 (at $10K off) or the Veracruz (with a big discount) are better values.

This is your basic rental fleet car with an extremly poor resale value. On the other hand, it is a simple and practical mode of transportation, basically a down-sized mini-van or beefed-up station wagon.

The TX is a refinement of the 07 FS, but the FS gets better MPG. My Ford connections tell to avoid the CVT (the FS transmission) it can be difficult to repair.

Based on the Reuters' article employee pricing (which is below invoice) plus rebates are part of the new incentive package. When negotiating, I would take the employee price - the full rebate and - an additional $1.5K as a starting point (with no fees). Be prepared to walk away and leave your contact information. Sales for this car have been down of 60% or more for the last three months. There are thousands on the dealer's lots.

Good Luck!
    Word on the street is that the TX rebate maybe going down.

If that is the case, employee pricing with a lower rebate is definitely not a good deal!

This sounds like it could be the old bait and switch trick. Buyers Beware!

Let's wait until Wednesday.
    Another word on the street is that employee pricing may only apply to 08' models, not 09'. If the rebate amount does go down, then I'm waiting till I find a good used car deal on the TX.
    Do not buy a new 08 TX, it is not a good deal!

Ford has changed the plan in order to appeal to the uninformed buyer.

If you want to know more, the read the older posts.

Why buy a car that will be worth 55% less as soon as you sign the papers!

Buyers Beware!
    I totally agree!! I was very disappointed to see that this deal really wasn't that much better than the previous incentive. I'm sticking with my plan to purchase a used 08 TX.
  • lew8lew8 Member Posts: 9
    So Sello has mentioned a number of times how great the price is for used cars as the used market is falling. So How do I purchase a car from an auction? Can I? Do I get a broker? HELP :confuse:
    Lew8,

Find a dealer that recently purchased a TX at auction (the dealer's cost is much lower on these models) or one that really needs to clear some inventory.

Most of these cars are marked-up $2.5K to 3K.

Or find a dealer willing to purchase a car for you at auction on a price + (fee) deal.

This is about money, on one is going to roll over and give you a good deal, it takes work on the part of the buyer.

Good Luck!
    The Ford Taurus X will be discontinued February 2009 when the 2009MY balances out. The cancellation of the Taurus X will allow us to provide a singular solution to our customers needing a seven-passenger crossover with the Ford Flex, a great vehicle that is both safe and stylish.

Action:

Please take note of the below key wholesale dates to mark your calendar and be sure to take advantage of the final Taurus X production.

Final Taurus X Wholesale: November 25-Dec 5, 2008

All final orders are due no later than Friday, January 16th, 2009
    Last day of production will be Friday, February 27th, 2009

Source
    Good Post!

Like the Freestyle, Ford should extend huge factory to dealer cash to clear the remaining 08s and new 09s.

Additionally, I would guess that Ford would offer some great fleet prices for this car.

The wholesale price for this car should continue to fall!

Bottom line: Do not buy this car, yet!
    Dealer mark-ups on recently purchased TXs from the auction are huge!

Example: TX EB Sold at auction for $14.3K Dealer Asking Price $20K.

WOW!

Problem: there is a lot of old inventory on the market that was purchased at the higher wholesales prices; this is inflating the current retail price average.

Ask to see the CarFax report, so you know when the car was purchased from the auction and then compare that to the average wholesale price of the car during that time period.
  • lew8lew8 Member Posts: 9
    Lew here again,

So, I am in the market for a Taurus X and love this car. I originally looked at the new market because of the "awesome incentives" only to find that the incentives were not that "awesome." So then I began looking at the used market and found a better price but having read this thread, I feel ripped off at the thought of purchasing a vehicle for $20K with a huge profit margin to the dealership. (Don't get me wrong, I know everyone needs to make a buck, but...)

If you can, please advise specifics with this new info from Ford. I don't need a car tomorrow or the next day, etc. I have the ability to wait - but don't know how to navigate through this situation. Obviously, sitting on my hands at home won't do me any good - but how do I proceed????

So glad I found this thread - otherwise I would have bought one for way too much already.

Thanks in advance.

Lew
    Lew,

I agree, forget a new model (unless we are talking $10K + off deals)

Do you know what trim you want? SEL? EB? Ltd?

How many miles?

Options?

Color?

The longer you wait the cheaper the car is going to be at the wholesale level.

Start with autotrader and search for cars near your location.

When you find a car that interests you, then get the CarFax on that car. Most are rental/fleet cars, watch out for accident or flood information.

The average mark-up is around $3K. Some are lower and a few are much higher.

Currently, many of these cars are selling at auction for about 45% of the original MSRP. Your goal show be at or very close to 50% off the MSRP.

Edmunds new car site can give you the MSRP information. Check this information yourself, others might provide you misleading numbers.

Please share.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    personally I'd not buy a used fleet/rental vehicle no matter what the price because I don't trust how it was driven or maintained, especially if it's only a year or two old. I'd rather spend more for a new one and keep it for 10 years, then buying and replacing used ones every few years. My '05 FS has over 60K miles, mid20s MPG and no problems. People should be less concerned with resale value then buying a good vehicle that meets their needs. It's not depreciation that costs most folks money, but selling and buying every few years. Buy and keep is the way to go to really save money.
This discussion has been closed.