Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus X Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Bob,

Long time.

I agree buying and keeping a car is the real way to save money, but I would rather buy a car at half off the MSRP instead of paying $500 over invoice (plus fees).
  • smeanssmeans Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am interested in getting a new 2008 ford taurus x. After reading this forum for the last several weeks -I found out I should wait until after the 18th to buy. I thought I had done all my homework getting the tmv of the car and also getting a trade in value for my 2007 envoy.
    We went to several dealerships in our area and both of them want to give us the employee pricing and the 1500.00 cash back. They also both mentioned the 500.00 from ford for financing through ford. Neither dealership wanted to discount the car any further than the incentives they were receiving from ford and the both wanted to give me "wholesale value" for my car.
    Since when is the trade in value of my car wholesale value???

Any info here would be appreciated so I can decide rather to keep trying or not.

Thanks!
    Smeans,

Agree, this car is not a good value with the current pricing plan. Since the car is being discontinued, I would wait and see what happens. When they killed the Freestyle, Ford offer huge discounts to get them off the lots.

As for your trade, SUVs are out!

Dealers have always (with few exceptions) used the wholesale value for trade-ins. They tell many people that they are giving them more for their trade, but make-up the numbers in other parts of the deal. Much depended on how good the used car market was for that model.

With wholesale prices so low, they cannot afford to overpay for a car. Under the employee plan, the dealers are making a pre-established % of the sale.

If you added up the saving of the employee pricing + rebates + the dealer's set %, this car is still not a good deal!!!

Good Luck!
  • smeanssmeans Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm still confused though then as to why there is a trade in value that can be found here on your site. What is the purpose of that? I thought that was supposed to give me an idea of what to expect to get out of my car on trade. The numbers they were giving me for wholesale were thousands below trade in value...

I understand what you're saying about the taurus, but I'm interested in this trade in value in case I decide to go a whole other route.

Thanks!
    Smeans,

The Edmunds trade-in numbers are just a guide.

The dealers generally do not use the trade-in values found on these sites, instead they track the weekly wholesale price average of the car auctions.

This is a supply and demand market; your SUV is out a favor with the market.

You will most likely be better off keeping your current car.

Good Luck!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I am interested in getting a new 2008 ford taurus x. After reading this forum for the last several weeks -I found out I should wait until after the 18th to buy. I thought I had done all my homework getting the tmv of the car and also getting a trade in value for my 2007 envoy

The first question I have is why get rid of an '07 Envoy for a '08 Taurus X? Even if the Envoy averages 15MPG vs the TaurusX 20MPG (which is generous) than after 20,000 miles of driving at $3.00/gal you'll only save $1000/year. With gas under $2/gal you gas savings will be even less, especially if you're not able to average 20mpg with a TaurusX Based on how much you'll lose on trying to get rid of your Envoy you're probably better off keeping what you have. If you don't really have a need for 7passenger CUV/SUV, then it probably would be worth selling it for a smaller, more efficient car.

On the other hand, if you really just want to buy one then go ahead and buy it and don't worry about the trade in loss because you'll make it up on the lower price of the Taurus X. It' really just a mental thing. A few years ago you'd get a few thousand more for trading in a 2 year old SUV, but then you'd pay a few thousand more for buying a new big CUV...so there's no real difference other than the feeling that you're getting ripped off on your trade in. The fact is that if you're going to save thousands more on buying a new or used, then expect to lose thousands more when selling or trading in yours.

It's like the whole housing market thing. People go to buy a house and want many thousands off the selling price and then balk when they try to sell their home because people want them to take thousands off their selling price. Just like many folks were stupid in thinking that it was great when their house value would go up 20% in price each year but then when they sell it and buy a new one all the profit from the first house went to the downpayment of the next house, since that also had been going up in value faster then it should.

So don't wait, buy now because the longer you wait the less you'll be able to get for your Envoy.
  • lew8lew8 Member Posts: 9
    Deal or no Deal...

Here are the details.

2008 - Taurus X
    11,000 miles
    EB
    AWD
    Automatic
    Moon Roof
    Heated Seats in Front
    Sync
    $19,400 + $400 delivery + $700 dealer handling + TTL

or

2008 Taurus X
    6,000 miles
    EB
    AWD
    Automatic
    DVD
    Heated Seats
    SYNC
    $19,995 + TTL

or

2008 Taurus X
    Limited
    10,000 miles
    AWD
    Automatic
    SYNC
    $19,995 + TTL

All of these vehicles are so close in price, however, maybe they are all rip offs? Please advise...

D
    Any deal with delivery and dealer fees is NO DEAL!

What do you know about these cars?

Low mileage TXs like the ones in your post (but FWD) went for about $16 -16.5K ath the auctions. The AWD will be add about $500.

If they are recent purchases from the auction, then they are most likely marked-up $2.5 to 3.5K.

Good Luck!
    This weekend, I saw an ad in the newspaper stating that new 08 Toyota Highlander Sport models can be purchased at $8K plus off the MSRP.

Ford must do better than the current EP/$1500 off offer on the TX if they want to clear its huge inventory.
  • forddad90forddad90 Member Posts: 16
    I don't think those deals are too bad at all except for the delivery fee as seloo mentioned. It all comes down to what you want in the TX. The Limited comes with memory seats, heated seats and reverse sensing system as standard features. Are those features you prefer over a DVD system or moonroof? That's for you to decide. Good luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large business magazine would like to speak with consumers who downsized from an SUV to a crossover or minivan to get better fuel economy. If you downsized for better fuel economy, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, November 24th.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

On a top of the line TX the current EP + Rebate + $500 (for financing) the savings is roughly $6K off MSRP (EP is % price based, so the savings will be lower for cheaper models) This is a classic shell game pricing scheme designed to confuse the uninformed buyer.

When compared to others (Mazda, Toyota. etc..) and the poor resale value, this is not a deal.

NO DEAL.

A used model at 50% off the MSRP may be a deal!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,691
    Let's leave a little room here for members to report Prices Paid, or offers received..

Any number of new models have poor resale, but we need some numbers for new sales, so that others can compare.. Some members might want a Taurus X, regardless...

thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

HI all - Lew here again....

So I haven't bought a car yet. Here is why...

I can't help but think that Ford will come out with excellent end of the year incentives in the next month to clear TX at the end of 2008. Does anyone have an idea if this will happen or if I should just take the best deal out there on a used low milage one like those I listed above.

I just don't want to buy now and be sorry in three weeks if Ford starts giving them away.

Any guesses or advise would be appreciated. I would really like a new Limited Loaded but cannot justify the price difference between the low mileage used TXs.
    :blush:
    Lew,

I'm not sure why you're holding for a new one if you're concerned about the price difference. You should already know that the value of the car will drop like a brick once you drive it off the lot even with an increased incentive. A used TX is a year older or a little longer depending on service and I think they are an absolute bargain depending on where you look at. What exactly draws you to the "new" car over a "used" car? How much value is it to you to be the original owner of a TX? Only you can decide, so good luck.

On another note, a friend of mine told me that a completely loaded Limited AWD w/ 7K miles at a Ford auction was listed at $21K. By completely loaded, he meant every option available on the Limited including navigation, dvd, power liftgate, etc. Hope that helps anyone.
    Ford Dad (Cute name by the way)

Yeah - I think the used TX is a better bet because I really don't care about being the original owner.

I am having a difficult time getting access or finding someone who knows how to access the auctions. Any chance your friend could help me? I cannot seem to find a loaded X like you mentioned above. Heck, I would even drive that car home if I had too but cannot find a loaded X with low miles anywhere at auction.

Can you help? If I could buy that loaded TX I would.
  • danallandanallan Member Posts: 32
    I'd take that loaded Limited AWD for $21k in a heart beat....where do I pick it up?
    Come on Ford Daddy - Hook us up!!! Please:)
    I wish I could, but it is closed to Ford franchise dealers ONLY!! Even if they opened it up to others, I am not eligible to purchase it as I have to be a licensed auto dealer to enter the auction. Like you, I would have bought one myself!
    So I have been working with a dealer to get one of these frachnise cars. Can you give me more details (location, vin #) so that my dealer might look into the vehicle more? I don't want to compete with your friend so if he/she is buying it forget this request. Details????
    Taurus X:

1,234 2,728 -54.8 (Down 55% for the month, a slight improvement)

22,141 37,343 -40.7 (Down 41% for the year, a slight increase)

With a glut of inventory; Ford must find a better incentive plan to sell this car.

Without a doubt a slightly used TX is the only smart option for this car.
    Posted on Edmunds site: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=137210

It never got the attention it deserved from Ford in terms of marketing. After all the marketing efforts they put into the Flex, it only managed to sell 2,203 of them last month. Considering that the Flex costs a few thousand dollars more and has virtually the same gas mileage and seating capacity, this was not a smart move by Ford. Now they don't have a cheaper alternative to the Flex. *sigh*
    Limited Model:

Miles: 13-22K (Price Range: $13.9-$15.2K)

Miles: Less than 13K (Price Range: $15.8-$16.3K)

EB Model: About the same prices

The Limited may be the better value (more options), while the EB has better name recognition and lot appeal (two tone paint).

Retail prices are starting to fall as the lower priced cars hit the lot!

Good Luck!
    Dealer mark-ups on recently purchased TXs from the auction are huge!

Example: TX EB Sold at auction for $14.3K Dealer Asking Price $20K.

WOW!

-------------Update------------

This unit was just marked down to $17.9K. It is still too high, but this example illustrates why buyers need to understand the used car market place for this model.

Good Luck!
    Is this the average without installed options? I'm assuming that the low end of the range is FWD, correct? Thanks for sharing.
    Forddad90,

As you know the FWD Ltd already has a lot of standard options (minus the extra options like: DVD, NAV, Power Tailgate, moonroof, etc.. )

I have seen extra options like the DVD and NAV on some of the models, they tend to be on the higher side of the price range. On occasion, I have seen models with low mileage and an above average condition code go for $1K above the price range. I assume they may have more of the extra options.

I have not see anything close to $21K, since early summer.

I hope this helps.
    Here's what I found out from a friend of mine and the numbers are based on auction prices sold between 12/02 - 12/04.

Avg LTD wholesale price range: $15,700 - $16,700

Above Avg LTD wholesale price range: $18,700 - $21,800

From what I understand, the avg LTD are usually without options, but some may have a moonroof. The above avg LTD are the ones that have lots of installed options. The highest mileage for the average was 32,543 and the lowest was 12,644. For above average, the highest was 20,500 and the lowest was 7,037. Hope this information helps. Another thing to note is that there are fewer and fewer Taurus X showing up at the auction, but that may be temporary due to lower demand at this time of year.
  • all32all32 Member Posts: 2
    I would pull the trigger on one of these if I could just get a little more off. These are 08 limited's.

Truck A is silver birch w/black leather. All packages except DVD and Nav. Was quoted at 27,440.

Truck B is silver birch w/med stn. All packages, including DVD, but no nav, stickers at 36XXX, was quoted at 28,640. I've been at this for around 2 weeks and it feels like I'm reaching the bottom. What do you think about these prices? Any advice?
    Forddad,

Are these cars AWD?
    All32,

When Ford stop making the Freestyle, large incentives were put in place to clear the dealers' lots.

My friend in the business tells me that he expects huge discounts in Feb/Mar on 08s and 09s.

If sales do not improve, they my come sooner.

Go back and read some of the earlier posts concerning the current incentive.
    Yes, they are all AWD models.
    Currently, I am seeing a $3-4K markup on these cars recently purchased from the auction. Wholesale prices are declining much faster than the retail prices.

Do your research.

Good Luck!
    A friend just purchased an EB with 10K miles an above average condition car for about $17K (SAT Radio, Reverse Sensors, etc...)

Average condition cars are going for $1-2K lower.
    EBs: 15K to 10K miles around $16K

26K miles around $13K

Bottom line: Lower mileage cars right at 1/2 off MRSP, more off for higher mileage cars.

Bid very low for these used cars.

Good Luck!
  • jgirjgir Member Posts: 6
    I'd like to buy a low miles 2008 SEL and am pretty happy with the options except that I'd like to have Nav. Is it possible to replace the radio with a nav unit? If so, do I have to go to a dealer for purchase and/or instal? I'm pretty handy with tools.

Also, I've heard that the 2009 Nav has more features. I'm particularly interested in getting real time traffic and weather reports superimposed on the GPS map.

Thanks.
    It is possible to have a Nav system put in place and I know of others who have done it with the Freestyle. However I'm not so sure you would be able to do it with a second-gen nav system. I know it needs to be programmed to work with specific vehicles depending on options, but I'm sure there is a way. The 2009 TX model does not have the new nav system, but you should get the part from the 2009 Ford Explorer as the dimensions are identical to the FS/TX model. If you have success with it, please do share it with us.
    Will do. Thanks for the response, forddad90. You've cleared up several questions and misconceptions on my part.

Thanks.
    Taurus X

December sales were down 80% from a year ago and 45% YTD.

With all the unsold 08s and the new 09s hitting the lots until February, Ford needs to significantly increase the incentives on this car to clear the lots!

The wholesale price of this car continues to fall.
  • yahwehyahweh Member Posts: 2
    I have been watching the prices steadly decline on 08s and 09s. As well as monitoring this forum the members sharing trends has been very helpful.

Seloo and Fordad90 your knowledge of sales number and wholesale price movement is impressive.

As a buyer who has no time pressure, it makes no since to purchase until you see some leveling off on the downword price trend right? Also, can I purchase a vehicle at Auto Auction or is that Dealer only ground?
  • supermsuperm Member Posts: 16
    That wouldn't happen to be anywhere within 200 miles of Philadelphia, would it?

So far the "best" I've seen was 17,8 for a low-spec EB with 25k miles and evidence of a prior accident. In fairness that was a trade in they've had for 3-4 months so it seems reasonable that those numbers are in the ballpark of what they have in it.
    I think you can do much better.

Good Luck!
  • dl_caldwelldl_caldwell Member Posts: 2
    A local dealer had a lightly used TX Limited FWD 18K miles with NAV and DVD for $20K. It didn't have AWD so we passed. I wanted to cry, but we passed anyway. The car sold a few days ago.

There are a few REALLY NICE new 2008s that have been on the lot since summer of 2007 - but I see no enthusiasm on Fords part to sell them.
    Don't lose heart! You'll find one that you want which is important. I've been busy the past month, but I did buy a used 08 TX last month. It has all of the options included (NAV, DVD, SYNC, Moonroof, Ultimate Package, Limited Wood package, etc.) and AWD as well. I purchased it for $21.4K and it had 19K miles on it. It was originally purchased by the first owner on May 08 and the car practically looked new because the second row and the third row looked like it was never touched or used.

I bought it from a dealership that basically shopped around for me and got the car that I wanted. It took them two weeks to find one and I'm very happy with the vehicle.

I understand what you mean about Ford dealers not being in the rush to sell the TXs and I've seen another local dealer that has been stuck with 10 of them since fall and they're still being listed for the same price. From what I understand, they're busy selling other cars that they're not really hurting for business. It was hinted that they may evaluate the selling price once March comes as it is one of their best months for sales.
    FordDady - It sounds like you found a dealership that was willing to work on finding a car that you wanted not what they wanted to sell you. I have had a difficult time with dealerships and all I want is someone to find what I am looking for and allow me to pay them $$$ to do it. Did you have a good experience with your purchase and if so could you give me a reference?
    I stopped by a dealership to check out his TX stock and asked a salesman about installing a nav in one without. He told me that the units were completely self-contained and pretty much a drop-in for the radio. I'm sure he left out the part about the programming.

Neither was he clear about the antenna which he thought was also in the Nav unit. Perhaps it is, although I can't see how it could get reasonable sat signals, being buried in the dash structure. Does anyone know where the antenna is on the TX? Also, does anyone have any signal loss issues the factory nav?

The salesman quoted their sticker estimate of ~ $2K for a dealer installed unit. I saw one on Ebay for ~$500. Before I'd go this route, though, I'd want to make real sure that the unit wasn't ripped off from some poor victim with a TX LTD!

Thanks.
  • fathertedfatherted Member Posts: 7
    Starting looking at cars today and tbh, I never heard of the Taurus X, what a nice car, took one for a test drive. The price on this new '08 Limited AWD with conv. package, sirius, sunroof but no Nav or DVD was about $28.5K, in CT. I've read through some of this thread and maybe there will be better deals soon but is this a good deal?
    Agree, it is a good car. When compared to other crossovers CX-9, Veracruz, and others (where deals are as much as $10K off MSRP). The TX is not a good value new, but a used one at the right price may be a good deal. Read this thread in detail, to get a better understanding of this car.

Monthly sales for this car are really slow, I would wait.

Good Luck!
    Currently, the wholesale market is a little slow due a lack of volume.

Prices are generally the same.

Retail prices are falling, many 08 TX SELs are listing for $14-15K, $1K less than just two months ago. I saw one for $13.9K.

The average dealer mark-up is around $3.5K we have seen a few at $5K.

There are 50% more new TXs on dealer's lots than there was at this time last year.

The current Ford deals are not good value and customers know it, just look at December's sales for this car.

If you are buying new, wait awhile, you you are buying used then bid very low, your goal is 50% off MSRP!!!!
    2008 Limited Taurus X
    Every Option Available including Heated 2nd Row Seats, DVD, Navigaton, Moon Roof....etc.

21,000 Miles
    Put into Service 02/2008

$21,600

I think this is a deal but any advice would help. I have been following the threads for about 6 months and think I have finally found a deal.

What are your thoughts?
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    Sounds like a great deal. I can't imagine the car getting much lower.

A year ago I happily paid $32K new for my slightly less equipped T-X Limited (everything but moonroof and second row heated seats). And I'm still extremely happy with my Taurus X, even at that price.

Being used, buy a good all-inclusive extended warranty. The warranty price is the same no matter how many goodies you've got installed.
This discussion has been closed.