Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Software Problems

Comments

• telemanteleman Member Posts: 1
    Just Googled "Prius software problems" and found this board. My six-month-old Prius died last night in the rain as I got on the Interstate. Same problem as others describe: engine suddenly died and all of the warning lights lit up, including the one that means "take to Toyota service immediately." I have to say that Toyota roadside assistance was extremely responsive. I just heard from the dealership. They acknowleged that the 04 has had a software problem, but claimed that they loaded updated software that should prevent this from happening again. How do I confirm this is the case and that new software has been developed by Toyota, or if they just reinstalled the old problematic software and lied to me? Does it do any good contacting Toyota about this, and should I get in touch with the NHTSB?
  • joebeattjoebeatt Member Posts: 50
    I would put Toyota to the test and ask them if they did a recall for the 04 Prius to update the software and if not, why not. I would report to the NHTSB also. It can help to make cars safer and more reliable.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    There is a recall or TSB (not sure of which) that addresses an issue with the gasket that lines the hood. Rain/water can enter here and cause problems . This MAY have been what caused your problem. Though I do think there CAN be software issues, then why aren't more cars effected? Isn't the software the same in all the cars?
  • joebeattjoebeatt Member Posts: 50
    It could still be a software issue. It is very difficult to predict when software will fail. A hidden bug might stall the vehicle, but only when a lot of different external conditions are met. Also the order in which these conditions appear might influence the process. These external conditions and the correct order to trigger the bug might happen only once in a million "car-years".

It's a little bit like the aerospace industry. In 1994 a Boeing 737 suddenly turned over on its back and crashed straight into the ground for no reason. Everybody was puzzled what had happened. Finally it turned out that all 737s had a design flaw related to the rudder. The 737 came into service in 1967, and every day thousands of 737s are taking off and landing safely, so it is very weird that the flaw went unnoticed for all those years. Still it did. But finally, when all the external conditions were met, the accident happened.
  • eprupiseprupis Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2004 with navigation--one year old and 16000 miles. Today my touch screen stopped working. The info screen dropped the mileage number, the mpg calculation, and the current mpg plus the outside temperature. The energy screen showed the diagram but no movement of energy. The audio and map screen did not function and the climate screen showed a message that the air conditioner was not connected. All the steering wheel controls functioned and the air conditioning responded to those controls as did the audio system. The green dash info stayed functioning and the car drove normally in all other respects. I did get the display screen to come on and hit the display off button and now the screen will not come on at all no matter what button I hit. I have seen software operating failures on this board but this is a new problem I don't recall reading about. Of course I'll bring it to my Toyota dealer ASAP, but they seem to be clueless abouty the Prius' unique features. Any ideas?
  • toyrunnertoyrunner Member Posts: 1
    There is a tsb about this problem take it to your dealer and they will order a new screen to correct this problem
  • sunny9sunny9 Member Posts: 4
    I don't believe I have yet seen a posted response to your query: "are there continuing software problems with model year 2005?" Did anyone respond back?

I am also very interested in learning that answer, as well, particularly after reading no less less than 15 pages, at the National HighwayTransportation Safety Board site (NHTSB) devoted to complaints, defect investigations, and service bulletins, on the 2004 Prius.
    The problems cited did not appear to be trivial and let's face it, repair costs are only part of the dilemma the owner has to deal with when malfunction happens--and often at the most inopportune times.

While it is impossible for a consumer to dodge all the problematic auto "bullets" out there, it is outrageous for a manufacturer to remain silent/not respond to consumer complaints on cars that have been out in the market for close to eight years now.
  • parklandtoadparklandtoad Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Toyota Prius computer malfunctioned right in the middle of the most dangerous intersection in my city in clear, dry daylight conditions. Every warning light came on and so did a big "problem" message light. The car continued to drive, using mostly the electric motor, and I was able to reach a local Toyota dealer a few miles away. They told me my computer had to be "reset" and asked if I had gotten notice of a recall for the computer on my vehicle. The answer is "no" to the recall question, but now I am concernied that there is a recall out there for the computer on the 2004 Prius.
  • khskhs Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Prius (3300 miles) suddenly beeped and warning lights came on, inlcuding red triagle, engine warning, etyc. Took to dealer--ECM reprogrammed. Service person told me "this has happened to almost all "Prius' they sell. If happens again, just drive to Toyota Dealer--nothing to worry about--no explanation." I just finished reading these messages. I plan to pursuewith Toyota and file a complaint with NTSB
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Service person told me "this has happened to almost all "Prius' they sell.

Welcome to the forum. At least the Service people were honest about the occurrence of the problem. Many act like it is a fluke and have never seen it happen before. Did the car quit or just all the Warning lights came on? Did you buy the extended warranty? How do you like the car? Would you buy another one? Good luck with getting an answer. I am sure that Toyota is aware and working on it. It does not hurt to make the NHTSA aware of the issue.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Be sure to file a complaint with the NHTSB... it is the only way to get Toyota's attention.
  • pamsmompamsmom Member Posts: 1
    I was stopped for a crossing guard and it just stopped. I have 12,500 miles on it. The Exclamation point in a triangle was there and I could not get it turned on or off - just all the warning lights. I had it towed to the dealer, although it eventually turned back on long enough to get it into neutral for the tow truck.
    The dealer mentioned there might be water in the gas. Sounds unlikely after everything that I've read here. I'll give them this website. Thanks. It's really scary when your car just dies in the middle of the road. I couldn't even push it out of the way until I managed to get it into neutral. It's a really neat car, but if you can't rely on it, it's not worth much.
    Anyhow, thanks for the advice.
  • ncarolinancarolina Member Posts: 4
    (This is my first posting... also did a search for prius computer problems and found this thread). I Dear Eprupis: You are not the only one. I also have had every single one of the exact same symptoms as well-described in post #67 "Screen Failure". The failure has occured about 5 minutes at a time, several times in last few days. Most of the time it seems to eventually correct itself. I'd like more info about the TSB that suggests replacing the screen #68). I've emailed the dealer with a link to this, and we'll see if they can fix it. FWIW, it seem to me like a software issue rather than hardware for this reason: when it has locked up and I have pressed a few buttons like Display, then Audio, then Climate it seems just like a windows-pc with a hung-program: after about a minute, the computer finally seems to process the minutes-old button pushes that were stacked up, displaying the 3 screens rapidly. Occasionally I see the "Air conditioner not connected" message upon first starting up in the morning, before hitting any buttons at all.
    If not software, then maybe faulty inputs due to moisture (hood seal). Or perhaps due to the pine pollen that coats everything like a green dust this time of year in North Carolina: I wonder if it is conductive? :sick:
  • ncarolinancarolina Member Posts: 4
    I just found a probable fix in 2-28-2005 posting at http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-log183.htm
    namely, a stuck "Climate" button may be all that is causing the "Screen Failure" and "A/C not connected" as described in my posting in 76 and that of eprupis (68)

John does not describe any fix other than unsticking a Climate button. Since it's happened a few times to me, I think I'll try to clean around the button and lubricate with a litte wd40 or dry-silicone drawer-glide lubricant to try to prevent the button from sticking in the depressed (down)_position.

:blush:
    I've heard that Toyota will replace the screens as there appears to be a problem. Not sure if a stuck button is the answer. It appears to be quite isolated from other sites I've visited.
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    Toyota uses that same MFD screen on other vehicles, and the lockup is occuring on all of them. The TSB covers replacement of the screen, which fixes the problem.

For those interested in parts prices, apparently the touch screen new costs around $2K and a remanufactured one costs around $400 if you were paying for it yourself.

If you have access to it, the TSB is EL002-05 "Multi-Display Functions are Inoperative"

Warrantee time to replace the display is .2 hours so it's not a biggie.

I'd post a link to the TSB but it would be deleted. However, if you search around you can find it posted a number of places.
    "I'd post a link to the TSB but it would be deleted. However, if you search around you can find it posted a number of places."

NOTE FOR THE HOST: Would posting a link to a toyota website violate the Edmunds link policy? (of course, he may have been thinking of posting to a different forum).
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You can post a link to the Toyota web site. You just can't post links to other forums.

So we don't derail this discussion - please don't respond to this message about policies or the Membership Agreement. If you want to discuss it, email me.
    I brought my 04 Prius in to the dealer and they gave me a loaner car and called me in a few hours to tell me I needed a new screen and thet it would take 2-3 days to come in but I could keep the loaner or return and take my car. I kept the loaner to save a 40 mile round trip and the car was repaired in the time frame promised. It's now 10 days and the new screen is working fine. No cost except time, gas and annoyance. Eprupis
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    "the new screen is working fine"

I bet you now have a new feature too.

See if the Info button on the Steering wheel doesn't now toggle between the two Info screens.

On the Pre-TSB screens it didn't, but on the Post-TSB screens it seems to.
    After reading the posting of tempusvn, I pushed the info button on my replacement screen and sure enough the screen changed back and forth. It is interesting that neither the dealer or Toyota advised me of this new feature. Are there other new features? Who knows!
  • ejbeckejbeck Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I bought a new Prius in early March of 2005. My wife was coasting to stop (around 5 MPH) for a stop sign and when she put her foot on the brake the car started to accelerate. She came to a stop after hitting another car head on. Before she hit the car (she also sideswiped another car) she was able to look at her feet to confirm that she was indeed pressing on the brake pedal. We have contacted the Dealer and Toyota Product Liability and have been given a case number. We were told the inspection alone can take up to 30 days (it has been 3 weeks since the brake failure incident) and have had to rent a car at our expense to get us through. We live in Los Angeles and like all Prius owners, we were thrilled when we took delivery of the car. We will also notify the NHTSA about this.
    This is the first case I've read about this. Sounds like the Audi problems from 20 yrs ago. I don't doubt your wife, but it just seem very odd for that to happen.
  • raj786raj786 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my Toyota Prius 04 (14250 miles) yesterday.
    I was driving on a Freeway (not fast just about 50mph) and all of a sudden all the warning lights came on (red exclamation mark in a triangle , engine failure with exclamation mark, another exclamation mark in a circle and some other scary signs). I immediately pulled over on the shoulder of the highway, and stopped the car. There was also only one bar left for the battery( again in scary red color).I checked the owner's manual to make sense out of those signs and it said "DO NOT drive and contact your Toyota Dealer immediately", so I did. The car was towed to the Toyota dealer and the Dealer had it for a day. The dealer had it checked and told me that the software needed to be upgraded. He told me that Toyota was aware of the problem and the upgrade was already out. I think It is a very serious problem. Now I was searching on the internet for more information on this Prius software problem, I found that there are many incidents of this type where all of a sudden the software crashes.

Thanks for the information about NHTSA, I already reported the problem.
    "This is the first case I've read about this. Sounds like the Audi problems from 20 yrs ago. I don't doubt your wife, but it just seem very odd for that to happen."

Yes, but the Audi 20 years ago didn't have a computer program transferring power directly from an electric motor to the wheels. I suppose that (in theory) modern throttle-by-wire systems could also be subject to this kind of software problem, but those are far simpler systems - turn on the power, turn off the power. The Prius computer has to merge the two power sources together - much more difficult and complex. Complexity leads to more potential programming errors.

I'm not saying this was a programming error - it could be mechanical - but it is possible.
    A nasty thought just occurred to me. I think it would theoretically be possible for a hacker to use the Bluetooth to introduce a virus into the Prius. The BT is used for communications, but it must have some access to the central computer system. And the BT protocol has sufficient range to allow access.

Of course, the likelyhood of someone finding out how the Prius is programmed is remote, but I doubt that Toyota put in any protections against virus programs...

Highly unlikely, but an interesting if troubling concept...
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    Does anyone here have good experience contacting Toyota and getting meaningful response? I just receive cryptic useless message when asking about problems on our cars. As I do not yet own a Prius and only have 1 on order, I will stay on topic on Prius.

Given all these "upgrade" problems, Toyota should implement a simple and well known Software SCM process targeting its customers.

It should identify software version on Prius screen so owners know when to upgrade. Toyota should announce upgrade to dealership or direct mail to owners so people know to go in for upgrade.

Trying to hide software problems never works and will only hurt customers. If Toyota is doing this to avoid litigation (by not admitting anything) or control cost, it will eventually end up with a big class action anyway and have its thus-far stellar reputation drag through the mud.

I think Toyota does not yet realize hybrid system relies on what is called "MISSION CRITICAL SOFTWARE SYSTEM". This sometimes means if it fails its mission, people die. There is no way to hide and to shirk responsibility in such system. Toyota, just like it learnt from Chrysler about how to make minivan, should learn from Boeing or Lockheed or Airbus or NASA on how to produce, manage and maintain mission critical software.

I am now nervously waiting for our new Prius.
    One last note.

In mission critical application, such as flight system, everything has a back-up. When the fly-by-wire system fails, there is normally something mechanical that serves as back-up. The 747's have up to 5 main systems on-board backing up each other and 20+ for everything. In the end, the pilot can still fly the aircraft by hand if necessary under "flight control jammed" conditions.

May be hybrid auto manufacturers should consider such a back-up.
  • sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    Impossible.. already been tested and tried.
    "The 747's have up to 5 main systems on-board backing up each other and 20+ for everything. In the end, the pilot can still fly the aircraft by hand if necessary under "flight control jammed" conditions."

Yes, but it has mechanical flight linkage controls. Newer airliners have all electronic controls ("fly by wire"), and if the computer goes, and the backups go, you'd better hope you have a parachute, because that plane is not staying in the sky.

The Prius is also all software controls.
    "Impossible.. already been tested and tried. "

Great news! Can you please provide a URL so that we can all see the study that was done, and examine the methodology?
    For those who don't know, "SCM" = Software Configuration Management.

I'm surprised to find that Toyota doesn't include a software version number on the screen at startup...
    Here ya go Stevedebi

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/
    Thanks for the link, but this does not prove anything other than the Prius won't respond to Symbian OS threats. I could have told you that.

Your article confirmed my fears: I noticed that the Prius did respond to cell phone commands at one point (to reject them), which means that the software is open to manipulation by someone simulating a cell phone attempting to synchronize.

As I said in my original post, it is not likely to be a big problem, since it would require in depth knowledge of how the Prius computer is programmed. That is Toyota "inside" information.

In any case, I don't think hackers are into this kind of thing - too few cars to make it worth their time. So it is not worth worrying about...
    Well.. it may be worth worrying about as more cars with bluetooth come online. I definitely agree that it may be a concern sometime down the road. I wonder if there is a way to disable bluetooth in cars that come with it?
  • pri4uspri4us Member Posts: 2
    The Federal Government is collecting information on the Prius stalling problem. The problem is finally making the news.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Industry/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_May_16_2005.S173.A862- - - - 4.html

"Are Priuses Stalling Out?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has not launched a formal investigation yet, but it is compiling complaints from Toyota Prius owners that the cars can stall or shut down while on the road. The agency has logged 13 reports in which 2004 Priuses have shut down at highway or slower driving speeds; a TCC staffer's personal car experienced the problem late last year. ....."

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Your posts helped with this story!
    Toyota Attributes Prius Shutdowns To Software Glitch

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kippy2kippy2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I just found out about this Forum in an article in the Wall Street Journal entiteled "Toyota Attributes Prius Shutdowns to Software Glitch". The article describes incidences exactly like what occured to me, and you; driving home from work my Prius came to a halt, and I stopped and started it numerous times until I finally creeped home (luckily, I was only a few miles from home). All the dash lights went on during this incident. I had also had two prior incidences where the car was dead in the morning and needed towed. I have had the care for 9 months and it has been in the dealership at least 5 times for this. I am getting the runaround from the dealer, and no one seems to have any technical expertise. I am going to report this to nhtsa, but I have lost confidence in the car. I want to return it. Does anyone know what legal recourse we have?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    kippy2:

Your best legal recourse should start with documenting your concerns by writing a letter to the manufacturer. Send it via Certified mail, Return Receipt Requested. Here are two possible addresses:

Toyota Motor Corporation
    25 Atlantic Avenue
    Erlanger, KY 41018-3188

Toyota Motor Corporation
    19001 South Western Avenue
    Dept. WC 11
    Torrance, CA 90509-2991
  • refieldsrefields Member Posts: 18
    My girlfriend recently bought a Prius which she loves. But this lockup issue where the car stalls is very unsettling as she drives hers through some bad areas all alone. The absolute last thing I want happening is for her to get stranded in a bad neighborhood.

Does anyone know how to reset the software/computer in the Prius in case of lockup? I'll let her know about the software issue but would also like to be able to show her how to get the car running again if it does happen.

Does anyone know?
    Are you considering buying a Prius but turned off by the idea of the software glitches reported at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef64fbc/0? If you are reconsidering your place on the waiting list or other efforts to shop for a Prius, and are willing to share your perspective with a journalist, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 20, 2005 with your daytime contact information and city/state of residence.
    Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    Have her bring the car to Toyota for the software upgrade. If it happens again, document it. You definitely have recourse to return the car in certain states (lemon law). I would not tolerate that from any dealer. If you can't fix the problem, they should buy the car back.
    I must apologize if my earlier post misled anyone. Edmund PR thought we/I have decided to not purchase a Prius as a result of the software glitches discussed in this forum. There is apparently a magazine interest in people like "me".

Although I would love that 2 second of fame in a magazine, the truth is we still do intend to purchase our Prius which is on order and should arrive in 1 week. We are even looking at the Highlander Hybrid now.

If the Prius is experiencing a failure rate the same as that of a certain domestic manufacturer's minivan (1995-1996), I would cancel the deal. Thankfully, that is simply not the case. As a long time buyer of domestic cars (Dodge Charger, Chevy trucks, Mercury and Ford cars, trucks and vans), we are recent convert to Toyota (Sienna van) and have had no regrets after 100K miles.

Yes, we are still looking forward to joining the Prius "generation" and will remain prudently optimistic that Toyota will take care of its customers before something really tragic happens.
    That's great! I'm sure they're still interested in talking to you about why you have confidence. Your earlier post said you were wavering on the decision, but I'm glad to see that you know the facts and still decided to purchase. Congratulations!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Yep, I agree that going ahead is a reasonable thing to do...

Toyota:

A) stands by their cars and
    B) has sold a few hundred thousand of these cars since 1997, so the "software failure rate" is about as low as it can reasonably get, considering the complexity of the hardware on board.....

Good Luck !!!
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Yeah, compare that failure rate, to the one on your Windows computer! ;)
  • refieldsrefields Member Posts: 18
    Actually it hasn't happened yet. And we'll be talking to the dealer ASAP to find out if she even has the problem - good chance though since she picked hers up the end of March. She might not be able to get it in soon though and just in case, I wanted to know how to do the immediate fix to be able to get her back to driving. I'm hoping we can get it taken care of this week but we're on tight schedules and might not be able to. That's why I wanted to know if there was a simple reset method that would get the car powerd back up.

It's obvious this isn't that frequent of an occurance but does seem to happen enough that until she gets the software upgraded, I want her to have a way to get going.

It's also my opinion that every Prius owner needs to be made aware that they could suddenly lose power just so they could be prepared and not be caught totally off guard.

So the question stands - anyone know how to reset a Prius?
    I don't think that 23,900 defective 2004-2005 vehicles out of whatever they have sold of the Prius II is a LOW failure rate. And that is the number that Toyota claims are in need of updating. Why are people still having this problem if Toyota has sent out a TSB and updated the affected cars? Why are you so sure that Toyota will take care of the problem when they rank below average on customer service? I am glad to see you admit that it is a very complex vehicle.
    So the question stands - anyone know how to reset a Prius?

That is a good question. I was corrected in my thinking that it is a computer reset that is done by Toyota service techs. It is a software reload that is done. Making it nearly impossible for the car owner to do anything but return the car to the dealer.
    Unfortunately cars are becoming more and more complicated. Didn't you read about the folks that are being stranded in their VWs with auto trannies. There have been six reports I've read so far. Interestingly Toyota has NOT sent out notices because my brother-in-law has an early model '04 Prius and never received anything about it! He hasn't moved, but luckily he has 27,000 trouble free miles. He is going to bring it in to check it out.
This discussion has been closed.