Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is the Lupo 80MPG/3L a "hybrid" car?

electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
edited March 2014 in Toyota
It has the ability to turn itself off when stopped, but the electric starter/motor does not move the car or provide assist.

Does that make it a hybrid? Or not?

Why?

troy

Comments

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    If it has a battery pack which stores REGEN energy and uses that electricity to provide some functionality to the car or the owner, then I'd say it's a hybrid car.

Hybrid does not necessarily mean "propel the car with more than one drivetrain" does it?
    from dictionary.com:

"an automobile with more than one power source, such as an electric motor and internal combustion engine or an electric motor with battery and fuel cells for energy storage; also called hybrid vehicle"
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    The Lupo doesn't store anything (no regenerative braking). It merely shuts itself off.

troy
    If it does not store power and has only one power source, then I cant see how it meets even the mildest of hybrid requirements.

I guess merely putting an ISG in a car does not make it a hybrid.....:)
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    Check out this 240 mpg car. It DOES have regenerative braking, although it uses a kind of flywheel mechanism instead.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/gw/vw1litre.htm
  • loraxlorax Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there are any loopholes that would allow one to import and drive a Lupo in the state of California? Are there exemptions for research or any other angles
    that might work?

I'm interested in going to biodiesel but would prefer a higher efficiency vehicle.

fmc
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would send a letter to CARB & the governor. It is a long shot, but who knows what will happen..
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I would send a letter to CARB & the governor. It is a long shot, but who knows what will happen.."

It doesn't matter what the CARB and the Governator say. Federal law restricts imports to those that have gone through the EPA and safety testing. Many of the small cars of Europe would not pass the crash testing here in the USA, or would require extensive modifications to pass. These mods typically add weight and expense to the car; most auto manufacturors either design "world cars" that match US and international specs, or just don't import the cars.
This discussion has been closed.