Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Credit Scores and Vehicle Financing

Comments

• Options
    holm100holm100 Member Posts: 11
    Does a credit score effect the money factor when leasing a car?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    Are you sure on all of your numbers. When you say "on the lease" do you mean the contract? Are you looking at the Cap Cost or the Residual?

Reason I ask is because all of your payments total right around $2k. So I'm wondering if the total cap cost wasn't $13k and residual $11k.

I don't know what rate you got, but you basically paid $5660 over the life of the lease. Maybe $800 of that was fees. I have no idea if you paid a security deposit. I don't know what your tax rate is, etc. So pretty much impossible to know if you "got screwed."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    yes.
    same as a finance rate.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    yes.
    same as a finance rate.

Worse than a finance rate actually.
  • Options
    sorry. meant to say your credit affects your MF, just as it does with financing.

Unless you mean to say your credit more adversely affects MF than finance rate? Sooo... put simply, if your poor credit score adds 2 points to your finance rate, it may add 4 points to your MF? If that's true, I didn't realize that, and its interesting to know.

• Options
    Let's put it this way, if your score is under 650 a bank isn't going to lease you at all.
    But, that same bank would offer you a finance rate.
  • Options
    interesting.
    and good to know (not for myself, but others that ask me for car advice).

• Options
    holm100holm100 Member Posts: 11
    Okay then, if I am getting lease money rates and residuals for various car models on line (edmunds for example), how do I determine what mine will be if I have an excellent credit score. I know that I have to have all this information in hand before I go to the dealer. Thanks
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    All the numbers that Car_man quotes in the Lease Questions forums are the best possible rates. Those are the base rates for top tier credit..

If your credit is excellent, those are the rates you should be asking for.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    basscadetbasscadet Member Posts: 146
    This is not true, strangely enough. BMW is at least one that will lease a 600+ score. (equifax).
  • Options
    This is not true, strangely enough. BMW is at least one that will lease a 600+ score. (equifax).

We are talking about banks, NOT the captive lenders.
  • Options
    weverhatweverhat Member Posts: 17
    I am in the market for a new Subaru. I see they are currently offering 4.9% oac. Checking the rates at banks and credit unions, it looks like their best rates start around 6.5%, so the Subaru financing looks pretty good. I find out that to qualify for the top tier you need a FICO above 700, and that Subaru will use whichever of your three FICO scores is the highest. I check my scores from Myfico.com. My highest is 716. Great - I think I qualify.

I am ready to go ahead and the dealer checks my credit. He says my highest score was 645 (which puts me in the 6.9% tier). I tell him I just checked Myfico.com and my highest score is 716. He says the "auto score" is sometimes different.

So I search online and discover that the three credit bureaus also maintain "FICO Auto Industry"/ "Auto enhanced" scores which place greater weight specifically on your auto loan history.

So here are my questions -

- Why is my "Auto enhanced" score lower than my "classic" FICO score? The only reason I can think of is that if it places greater weight on my auto-loan history, it is very short. I have only had one auto loan which I paid off over 12 years ago and I have kept that car ever since. So my auto-loan history is very short compared to my complete credit history which includes 15 years of never missing a single payment on any of my credit cards, student loans, utilities, etc.

- What do most dealers use to qualify you, your "classic" FICO score, or you "auto enhanced" FICO score? If they only use the "auto enhanced" score, I feel like I am actually being penalized for paying off my car loan early and keeping my car for so long.
  • Options
    Most lenders use the Auto Score exclusively.
    It's not a dealer issue, the dealer isn't approving your loan.
    The dealer has to use whichever score the lender requires.

Auto lenders ARE primarily concerned w/ your auto repayment history, not so much your credit cards or student loans.
  • Options
    jsmith25jsmith25 Member Posts: 2
    I checked online and paid for my scores from equifax and transunion, they are 742 and 775, should I be able to lease a 2009 subaru impreza at the best rate? Does anybody know what their cutoff is for the best rate?...We have lease many cars, 2 mazdas, and 2 jeeps...I think these are good ratings, but worried...Is the rate that I paid for to see the rate that Subaru sees? What agency do they check in with to get my score?
  • Options
    The score used depends on what part of the country you are in.
    Here in AZ, most lenders use Experian. So, your Equifax and Transunion scores don't matter. Occasionally, a lender will accept a bureau other than the one they routinely use, but it is rare.

Score is only 1 component of the banks decision on rate tier. The car you are leasing matters(some captive lenders have special rates for certian cars and crappy rates for others, banks tend to have 1 rate for all cars) how much you are borrowing. Are you putting money into the lease? At elast start up fees that is.
    Are you trying to bury any inequity?
    What is your debt to income ratio?
    Do you have any late payments or a prior BK?
    all these questions factor into the rate you will get.
  • Options
    jsmith25jsmith25 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Canada...I don't know what my Experian score is...it seeems you cannot get it online...but I have the other 2 scores. It is a Subaru impreza 2009, and we are looking at leasing. I just hear that sometimes the score that they see isn't what you see or think you have. Debt to income ratio acceptable. No late payments or prior BK...
  • Options
    You should be fine.
  • Options
    dch_dudedch_dude Member Posts: 3
    I have a 637 beacon (equifax) then a 642 and a 645 (exp & tran). I was recently approved for a new honda through american honda finance but changed my mind. I want an 04 Merced C Class. Should i try mercedes financial or another bank.
  • Options
    joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    The terms will be allot different on a 5 year old car then a new.

Go to your bank see what terms they affer then shop that term at the dealer.
  • Options
    Financially, you will be better off w/ the new Honda.
    The rate is gonna be much higher on the 04 Benz,not to mention insurance,repairs,etc.
  • Options
    dch_dudedch_dude Member Posts: 3
    I have an 08 volvo for my reg. vehicle, this is just a toy.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Financing aside, I'm not sure that I would consider most Hondas to be good "toy" vehicles. They are a lot of things, but "toy" isn't high up on the list.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Financing aside, I'm not sure that I would consider most Hondas to be good "toy" vehicles. They are a lot of things, but "toy" isn't high up on the list.

Yep. Although I wouldn't consider a C-Class much of a toy either. Unless it was an AMG.
  • Options
    neuralfraudneuralfraud Member Posts: 2
    Ive spent hours looking through the forums here, and from what I see there's a lot of variance in people's comments regarding credit score. What I'm looking for is anyone with a score between 630-660 who's recently (in the last month-3) purchased a new vehicle?

What kind of interest rates were offered? How many years? I honestly don't know what to expect. My current vehicle was purchased in '04 and my score was in the gutter - 527. I have a 23.25% interest rate which sucks.

Based on the good credit advertised rates, I'm kinda expecting between 9-12%. I have a very low D/I ratio and recently paid off some debts that were negatively impacting my credit.

I went to the dealer today with my most recent report from Experian (643) but unfortunately being saturday I was told to come back on a monday. I figure this means the In-house lender said "NO THANKS!" - but if they try and offer me anything highre than 12% im not interested.

My history isn't perfect but I haven't had a late payment in over 18 months and I've been with my employer for 2 years now - so I'd like to think that those two coincide positively..

Thanks for any info!
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    "...I have a 23.25% interest rate..."

Ouch! Is there any way you can pay off that loan first before you get another car. That rate must be killing your wallet. Just the thought of paying more than DOUBLE the purchase price on a 5 year loan would keep me up at night.

I haven't borrowed since the you know what hit the fan but I think getting rid of as much debt as possible will improve your score and reduce your rate.

There have been rumors that anyone under 700 is having a hard time borrowing money.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Score isn't everything.
    Debt to income and payment history(esp car payment) is just as important.
    Also, how much you are borrowing in relation to invoice is important.
    If you are dealing w/ a captive lender you should be under 12%.
    However, a bank may put you over that mark.
  • Options
    neuralfraudneuralfraud Member Posts: 2
    12% ? ratio of debt to invoice? I'm not sure I understand that. Why would anyone only finance 12 % of the actual invoice?

On the other hand, do you mean I should have offered at least 12% DP?

I just got a call saying that the banks would "like to see some additional household income".

I make a good amount of money, much more per year than the cost of the vehicle I want to buy. I did not need a cosigner with a mid 500 score to buy a $10,000 vehicle at 23.25% interest so even in today's market, that seems like BS to me. Ive got a solid payment history on my car loan and other loans - only negatives were collection accounts that are now clean.

Thanks
  • Options
    12% is interest rare, not LTV.
    Ideally, you should be financing less than the ivoice of the car you are buying, including TTL

Since the banks want more income then, in their judgement you don't make enough money to afford the new car PLUS all your existing commitments.
    Also, your past histry DOES matter. Collections, late pays all work against you, even if they were all in the past.
    Please keep in mind that the rules have changed since you last bought a car.
    Banks are scared to loan money to people in your situation.
  • Options
    jspence83jspence83 Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all, I have a few questiong. But, first off would like to thank everyone for there advise. I have a 2003 Explorer and looking to trade it in on a truck for my husband for Christmas. I think my credit score is around 680 o 690, depending on which credit organization(sp) you go to. I do have some credit cards with anywhere between 20-75% on the total credit limit. Which we plan on paying most off in the next 3-4 months, he is in sales and get mostly get huge commission for 3-4 month periods. The payoff is just about the total value of the car, I might have about 1500 from the positive equity in the Explorer to put towards the new used truck. I am going to drive his car that is paid off, and edventually sell or trade in sometime next year and get myself a newer car, I dont want to spend 25000 but somewhere between 14,000 to 18,000. To still keep our 350-380 dollar a month car payment at possibily 48 to 60 months. I dont have any money to put down, just the Explorer. I was wondering weather or not I will have a problem getting a loan, and what kind of rate I can expect. I make about 40 grand a year, and i have about 30 grand in student loans that I will start paying back towards the end of next year. Trying to get us both decent cars, before then. Any help or advice???...

Thanks.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Now that the average price of gas is under $2, why not keep the Explorer for another year or so? it will give you a chance to pay off your credit cards which will improve your credit score. Also with no credit card payment, you can put more toward the Explorer and possibly pay it off early. Or save money for a down payment.

Right now, you may get approved for a loan but no dealer wants your Explorer on their lot. This means you will be lucky to get what you think the Explorer is worth. Explorers haven't sold well since 2004 and no one knows how long these low gas prices will hang around. Also you have student loans starting up soon. Why get strapped into a car loan before you have to start repaying the student loan?

My advice is hold onto the Explorer as long as possible. Take care of the credit cards first then work to pay off the Explorer. Save up for a decent down payment
  • Options
    Now that the financial counseling is over I will answer your question :D

I see no problem what so ever with you getting a loan as long as your household income is enough to continue servicing the debt load you already have.
  • Options
    Sorry, I had to toss that advice in there. I knew one of you finance guys would "answer" her question.
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Joel0622 did not "answer" the question, he answered the question.
  • Options
    Whatever..
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I happen to think your advise made good sense.
  • Options
    mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I have 07 accord and i JUST avoided a repo what happen was i moved back to ohio and to my shock ohio has a upfront sales tax on leases and the amount $1055.00 now i was in the south and ive had on and off employment my spouse has been holding it dwn. 30 pst due days twice at got the lease 7-07 it ends in 8-2010 so i was paying my note only to find out i was not i was paying
    the dam tax so what happens i turn out to be dam there 60 days pst due. So they got there $$$ and im like what the ??? So im asking when i do pay off this lease with all the mess ive been through and paying it off & on time will i be able to get another honda , toyota before this i had FLAWLESS CAR CREDIT WILL THIS STOP ME GOING AHEAD THANKS.
  • Options
    Depends on what you do with the rest of the lease. Any more slow pays and I would say you will have a problem.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Have you called Honda (or whoever the lease is with) to explain the situation? I had something a few years back where I had health things going on and it backed up my loan payment because I wasn't paying attention. I basically said if they'd take the last month I owed and move it to the end (in effect turning a 48 month loan into a 49 month loan with a month skipped) that I could take it from there and not screw up with late payments. They thought about it for a minute and agreed.

My credit score is up in the 700s so I guess I survived. I think it's always best to try and straigten theings out. Maybe they'll accept breaking up the payments for you.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Talked to them yesterday and honestly really its my fault if i had NEVER came back north i would not have been in this so lesson learned. let me ask this this besides the upfront tax on leases if you move within the state you live is ther ANY FEES, Taxes etc. besides renewing stickers on a lease? i do not want this to happen never again so im on a misson to find out help me out guys thanks. Ps reminds me of one kurtis blows rhyme you get up and start you day and the finance man tows your car away. As long as i can help it i am not NEVER GETTING MY CAR REPOED ITS NOT FUNNY WHEN IT CAN HAPPEN.
  • Options
    If I purchase a new Honda and trade in my current leased Honda, I've read that I could still be responsible for personal property taxes. I've already paid an upfront tax in OH - is that the same as the personal property tax? I know about the registration, etc. but are there any more charges that I should be aware of?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    As far as I know.. Ohio doesn't have a personal property tax on vehicles. Some states do (KY for example).

If you haven't paid that tax on cars you've owned, you won't pay it on your leased car.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I have 07 accord and i JUST avoided a repo what happen was i moved back to ohio and to my shock ohio has a upfront sales tax on leases and the amount $1055.00 now i was in the south and ive had on and off employment my spouse has been holding it dwn. 30 pst due days twice at got the lease 7-07 it ends in 8-2010 so i was paying my note only to find out i was not i was paying
    the dam tax so what happens i turn out to be dam there 60 days pst due. So they got there $$$ and im like what the ??? So im asking when i do pay off this lease with all the mess ive been through and paying it off & on time will i be able to get another honda , toyota before this i had FLAWLESS CAR CREDIT WILL THIS STOP ME GOING AHEAD THANKS

Are you sure these were not property taxes on the vehicle. Few states have them, CT, OH.....

If these indeed were sales taxes, I would look into the taxation laws. Most states don't collect sales tax on vehicles that have been registered in other states for 6 months to 1 year prior to arrving to the state.

$1055 sounds like property tax, not sales tax on a lease.
  • Options
    al_2003al_2003 Member Posts: 26
    I've had some credit problems in the past year, mainly due to some serious health problems at home (not me). My income is good, my D/I isn't bad, but because of the bills associated with the health problems my FICO is in the mid to upper 500s. I also have 2 late pays over the past year between my 2 car loans. My car does need to be replaced this year, unfortunately. I already stretched it a year or so past when I would normally have replaced it.

The dealers keep telling me to fill out an online credit application to start the process, but I think I'm giving the dealer too much leverage right out of the box.

Does anyone have any workable advice here? I think I'll need to borrow around $25,000.

Thanks in advance... :)
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Sorry to hear about the health problems.

You need to borrow $25,000? That's a lot of money. One thing you don't mention is how much you have to put down. Do you have any negative equity on your current car?

I'm thinking you should be looking at cheaper cars.
  • Options
    al_2003al_2003 Member Posts: 26
    I'll probably put 10% - 15% down. That's what I need to spend because I need to deal with disability aspects (wheelchair, other gear, etc.). Cheaper vehicles are not really options at this point, unfortuantely.
  • Options
    In your case, it isn't a question of dealer leverage.
    It's a question of you getting a loan at all.
    Banks don't want 500 level credit right now.
    I'd find a car you like and go thru the loan process and see what happens.
    Regardless, you are gonna pay a high rate IF you get done.
    You could also try to get pre-approved without a dealer. Either with a Credit union or through an on line lender like Capital One.
    That way, you would know going in what you are looking at.
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Ahh, I understand now. Volvomax has good advice. Best of luck.
  • Options
    sharronmsharronm Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am currently in the market for a new used car. I plan to use my car as a trade in -- worth approx. $10k-$11k but still owe $9,000 on it. My credit report is very good with a FICO score of around 760. However, my debt to income ratio is around 41-42%. The amount I am seeking to borrow is around $15,000 for 60 months. I'm just wondering - during these hard economic times, have lenders imposed stricter rules when it comes to DTI ratios? I'm just wondering what the odds are of getting approved for a car loan with what some may consider a high DTI ratio.
  • Options
    Yes, lenders are getting much stricter on debt to income.
    However, you aren't borrowing a lot of money, not much more than you currently owe.
    given your score, you should be ok for a loan provided that your other factors(time on job, homeowner,repayment history) are all good.
  • Options
    sharronmsharronm Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your response. Yes, these factors seem to be in good order (I have been employed with the same organization for 26 years, a homeowner for 20 years, and my repayment history is perfect).

Interestingly, I am having a difficult time finding the model in which I have selected (2006 Hyundai Azera Limited) - my Internet search is within a 75 mile radius of Albany NY. Perhaps the economist are right - people are holding on to their cars longer!!

Thanks again.