Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Compact SUV

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
Will VW find a market for this compact SUV?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    If it's cute like a Volkswagen, then people will buy it for 23k no problem. A lot of people love German cars, and the 356 should be a nice alternative to the usual Escapes, Rav4s and CR-Vs.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    think people would buy the small SUV from VW...

it should have better interior and exterior than the X3, for it to succeed...

also solve some of the issues that have been plagueing it quality...
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yes a small VW SUV would be a hit and is arguably what they should have done before the Touareg anyway. VW will have the segment beat on interior treatment if the new Jetta is anything to go by. There is a picture in a recent (in the last 2 weeks) issue of Autoweek. I think they said the name will be Bendin or something like that. Cute little thing like the newest little Hyundai sport ute.

M
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Looks pretty good. If its too expensive it won't be a hit though.

Otherwise, VW has a hit on their hands.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yeah VW seems to have a deep disconnect between their marketing and product people. One group designs, builds luxury products (i.e. expensive) and the other wants to sell these vehicles in great volumes and can't understand why their sales are falling. I don't get it.

M
  • vwdriver2vwdriver2 Member Posts: 54
    Here is a link to a first drive of the 2009 VW Tiguan...looks great...I can't wait for it to get here next year!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0708_2009_volkswagen_tiguan
    I am very sure it will. I also own a Toyota RAV-4 which does it's job well, but is just missing something. My expectations are that the Tiguan can provide that extra something for about the same price range. If VW delivers some of the things on the prototype (e.g. hard disk storage, 2.0T with 6 spd dsg trans,i-pod) I think it will actually sell pretty well. Of course it won't sell as many as Toyota or Honda, but VW is getting back to what it does best, produce cars for the people. I personally love the Toureg, but it is outside my price range and gas mileage isn't so great. I already have my mind set...can't wait for next year!
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    The Tiguan, yes looks great, IS Diesel. What about caste-iron reliability we all can expect from Honda, & Toyota By 2009 we WILL have a bluetec option from all the manufacturers. Meanwhie, Tiguan ---looks the best, will be here first, and I'm tempted.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    The pics look bland..hopefully it'll look better when its officially out.

The 2.0 Bluetec Diesel sounds real interesting...anybody have any idea what the fuel mileage ratings might be for the usa??
  • fenris2fenris2 Member Posts: 31
    Latest I heard was low 40s highway... No idea city. I also recall reading it may get the 170hp varient of the basic 140 hp 2.0 CRD...
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    there is a 170 hp variant? because i know the tiguan is supposed to get the revised 2.5 engine with 170 hp, but i thought the diesel would simply be bigger rather than higher output.
    I was just wondering. Does anyone know WHEN is Tiguan is due to arrive in the US ?
    When do 2008's usually arrive?
    Edmunds pictures of the Tiguan ARE bland. So too, are its' pictures of the Mini Clubman. Meanwhele,NOTHING about EITHER are bland.
    Visit b>other sites for the German Videos of Tiguan...and you'll be hooked. Still, does anyone know where it will be made, and has Volkswagon improved reliabily-wise than in years past?
    Some say summer while others say fall...so probably somewhere in between...although it is scheduled to be out in Europe later this year. It will be made in Germany. I have owned an 2006 Passat for about 2 1/2 years now and so far no problems...I would say they are improving on quality.
    Here are some of the latest pictures. I will definitely wait for this one! Wish it had the chrome front end though, but still looks great.
    http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_2032.shtml
  • fenris2fenris2 Member Posts: 31
    There are indeed 140 hp and 170 vesions of the 2.0. But whether we get that, or a 2.5, or just the 2.0 140 is anyone's guess at this point I suppose. I would assume support/training/parts alone would favor the 2.0 choice, but then again I am not as odd thinking as VWoA lol.

I actually did not think of the 2.5 since the 2.0 has a 195hp version for Audi, although I think that is just show car.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    From what I read, we'll get the 2.0 gas turbo first, then the 2.0 diesel. The diesel is 140hp and 200lbs torque. That should be plenty. I'm hoping maybe 35mpg? If so, it will have no competition.
    Ford has made a Diesel "Kuga" (looks like RAV4) and of course it's for.... the UK. Toyota, Ford, Honda; everybody and their brother know how to do Clean Diesel. Why aren't they giving us (USA) a Zillion options in SUV clean Diesel for 2008? We're ready.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    t is a pity that the VW Tiguan “Track and Field” 5-seats will be no imported to the US next year. This vehicle has proper off-road characteristics that can be activated manually when the situation arise. It has an angle of 28-degree (approach) and 25-degree (departure), good fording depth, good lateral inclination and good climbing ability. The Tiguan has a sophisticated hardware and electronic mechanism that made this to happen. The mechanism affects the AWD and the front and rear suspension. VW America said that will only import this car if there is enough realistic demand for the car. So you see there is a car that can have realistic off-road capability and on-road car smooth behavior. You will see that this design approach will be copied by the competition (Asia) on the next 5-years. Only the Land Rover LR2 comes near to the Tiguan (not quite near). Shall we start to organize a petition?
    Hey Batman47, I'm all for it. How far beyond the price range of the Clean diesel Tiguan. My priority is to have the clean diesel with enough torgue (sp) for towing my boat (18 feet) . The approach & departure would be much appreciated....but can VW electric be counted on in the near years to come? heard their reliability was improving.
    I was in the Frankfurt car show this year and the Tiguan was an instant hit. The car in its 3-models will be sold from February 2008 in Europe. Petrol and diesel is the norm. For the moment VW is offering the 2.0 litres only but it is expected to increase the size of the engine. The 2.0L is turbo and produce neat 200HP. Only the Track & Field has the angle 28-degree the other two has only 18-degree. Price will be near the $20,000 and has a good petrol consume above 27 miles per gallon.
  • quipsquips Member Posts: 9
    The vehicle looks like a brute really ... comes across like a Mercedes too: a real German look. Besides that I'm hoping that it is as sturdy and reliable as it looks. VW has had a problem with that in the past.
    I'll wait until the diesel versions of both the Jetta and Tiguan come out to decide on whether to buy one or the other or neither.
    I've heard Subaru may come out with a diesel too.
  • quipsquips Member Posts: 9
    My choice will be based also on versitility and value, i.e. mpg and comfort. I'm looking for good performance on the roads, but no rocket ship or anything close to that.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Will the Tiguan be at the NY Auto show this year? The NY autoshow site does not seem to show it? last year it was a no show as well. Does know?
    Thanks
    The Tiguan was shown at the LA auto show Nov 2007, I think. I think VW is thinking how to make sense of the very high price of this car in Europe (more than $40,000) and sell it here in US at $25,000-$30,00. Big dilemma indeed. Perhaps VW of America decides not to import this car. Let's see.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    It's to bad they will not be shipping the Diesel variant here in the US. It would have been the top of my list for a commuter SUV. More than likely its not a clean diesel engine. Hopefully they'll reconsider and possibly ship one with Bluetec Diesel.

I saw the Tiguan at the LA auto show. It looked great. The aesthetics in German Engineering beats its japanese rivals by quite a bit. Nice ute!!
  • smpoolsmpool Member Posts: 33
    I also would love to see VW bring the Bluetec diesel here. It would be #1 on my list too.
    Last i heard it (diesel)was coming to the U.S....about 6months or so after the initial debut in a few months.
    Could you please state when this car will be for sale in the US and prices?
    Here's some info bits:

The Tiguan is arriving late to the crossover party. When it goes on sale in May (08)next year with pricing starting in the mid-20s.

U.S. models will come ashore with VW's tried and true, 200-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbo. We've been told the automaker's 2.0-liter turbodiesel (set to make its U.S. debut in the 2008 Jetta) is all but assured as an eventual option.

VW's optional, redesigned touch-screen navigation is a major improvement and features a neat 3D pullback effect. Other interesting techno bits include an electronic park brake with a hill-holder feature that we found came in handy when using the six-speed manual, a backup camera, and a park-assist function that automatically aids in parallel-parking maneuvers. Of course, many of these options will likely push that mid-20s pricing into the 30s fairly quickly, but they're the kinds of features you'll normally find on vehicles far higher up the luxury vehicle food chain.

If the Tiguan takes off in the States, we may see the 28-degree mud and the off-road feature at some point, but it won't be available at launch. Instead, we'll get the base, S trim similar to what VW calls Trend & Fun in Europe, along with the up-level SE trim, aka Sport & Style. Front-drive and 4Motion models will be available. VW's latest-generation 4Motion system uses a Haldex clutch mounted at the rear axle that keeps 90 percent of the power to the front wheels during normal driving and moves it to the other wheels when the system deems necessary. The 4Motion system will be available only with the six-speed automatic for the U.S. The Tiguan will not come with VW's DSG as a transmission option.

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan
    Base Price $25,000 (est)
    Vehicle Layout Front engine, FWD/AWD, 5-pass, 4-door SUV
    Engine 2.0-liter/200-hp/207-lb-ft DOHC 16-valve turbocharged I-4
    Transmission 6-speed manual; 6-speed automatic
    Curb Weight 3400 lb (mfr)
    Wheelbase 102.5 in
    Length x Width x Height 174.3 x 71.2 x 66.3 in
    0-60 MPH 7.5 sec (MT est)
    EPA City/HWY Econ N/A
    CO2 Emissions N/A
    On Sale In U.S. May-08
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    At the NAIAS in Detroit, the literature stated that prices would start at $23,490..

Of course, I would assume that is FWD, manual trans, and without destination charges..

In reality, since the 4-door GTI starts at around the same price, I'd say most examples with AWD and automatic will be in the $26K range... with loaded models being $30K-$31K...

It is very nice looking in person.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• firehouse46firehouse46 Member Posts: 19
    Please help.

1. When with the Jetta Diesel in automatic be vaailable in the USA

2. What will be MSRP on the Diesl/Automatic

Thanks!! :confuse:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi firehouse46 - since this is the Tiguan discussion, I'm going to send you to the Volkswagen Jetta TDI discussion instead, where you're more likely to get answers. If you type "TDI" or "diesel" into the search box, you'll get a list of other diesel-related discussions.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• beckstervwfanbeckstervwfan Member Posts: 1
    I just called the VW info line 1 800 DRIVE VW - the rep told me that the Tiguan is expected out this summer, but that they don't have any date for a diesel rollout. The new Jetta with the new diesel is coming out this summer. I would hope they would make a decision to offer the Tiguan diesel sooner rather than later -- hoping for that improved MPG!
    OK:

Can some customers request to a VW dealers to order a Track & Field (off-road) Tiguan directly from Germany?

For example customers in the UK can order through a UK dealer a LHD Tiguan Track & Field without problems. I have been informed that a Track & Field Tiguan is not still in the UK but can be ordered from Germany if the customer wants it.
    How does the Tiguan compare with vehicles like the 2009 Subaru Forester or 2008 Mitsu Outlander in price and technology?
  • akbossakboss Member Posts: 10
    I would also be interested in comparisons for these SUV's: 2009 Tiguan vs. Oultander vs. Forester. I want a sporty, safe and economical 4x4 that is somewhat inspiring, and these seem like the best options. Just tried out a Rogue the other day, almost barfed. Honda Element is actually a very cool truck, but its slow. Maybe VW can inject some interest in this ubiquitous market...lets just hope they've figured out how to work electrical.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    I called VW USA to confirm that the Tiguan will be shown this year, they siad it will be there . I have had 2 Passats and despite the few problems I have had I seem to come back as there is no drive quite like it. My 2.0T purrs when it is warmed up and drives extremely well EXCEPT in the snow. I have test drove the Rogue. A nice looking product, priced right, nice options, but the engine and the CVT transmission I did not care for.It was much to noisy and I like feeling the gears shift.
    I also hope that the Tiguan will be the one for me. I hope to get mid - upper twenties in gas mileage . My FWD Passat gets 30-32 on long trips.I also hope that I can get an Auto dim mirror as it was not an option on the 2.0 in 2006.
    I am also going to consider the newly designed outback. The CRV is out due to poor seat comfort. The Rav4 is out due to that Wheel on its back. The Santa Fe AWD is out due to low MPG( 17-22 on a good day)
    My main complaint about the current compact SUV segment is that rearward visibility is in most cases reduced, and in some cases downright hazardous. This was my biggest complaint with the Rogue, the thing I liked best about the Element, and another reason I think the Tiguan will do well.
    After waiting for over two years, I finally got a first hand glimpse of the Tiguan at the Chicago Auto Show. VW brought two Tiguans, one was fully loaded (panaromic roof, 18' wheels, nav, pretty much everything) while the other didn't have as much. One was grey while the other was liquid gold or something like that. I have to tell you, it looks even better in person! I spoke with some reps and they confirmed the May release date. I am kind of concerned because I heard that there was great demand for the Tiguan overseas and there was a waiting list so we will have to see. Knowing VW, the date will probably be pushed back...but I will definitely be getting one as soon as I see one! ">
  • vwtiguanfanvwtiguanfan Member Posts: 1
    Would you happen to know if the VR6 or the other VW V6 will be offered in the Tiguan at inception, at a later date, or not at all? Thanks.
    No, the only two engines that will be offered are the 2.0T and the TDI. I am sure that VW is doing this to keep fuel efficiency as high as possible. The 2.0T is rated at 200hp as is more than enough for such a small SUV.
    I was looking forward to the tiguan as much as anybody, but just got back from the toronto auto show and was disappointed in the fit and finish of the vehicle. For the price, it should be noticeably better equipped and feel of a better build quality than its competition (Rogue, CR-V, Outlander, etc) but first impressions revealed the opposite. Is this the product of VW's cost-cutting measures? Hopefully not, and I'm still positive that a real-world test drive will bring out qualities in this truck that seem to be missing. It also seemed 'cramped', especially in back where it feels like a sub-compact. One of the more impressive vehicles in this area was actually the Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 4x4, loaded its the same price as an entry Tiguan. Its been around for a while, but it still looks great and it never even crossed my mind to consider this vehicle until I had the chance to compare.
    I was able to place an order for a Tiguan last night. The should start arriving some time in May.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    What sort of options and MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

touchscreen Nav, Pan.Sunroof...I can't remember the exact MSRP, but it was between $26-$27K. Pricing hasn't been released yet, but the info was given to me from the dealer rep. that attended a meeting a few days ago.
    I want a Tiguen IF it is tier2 Bin5 and priced reasonably

when do we get tier2 bin5 and how horrible are the VW dealers to work with?
    It doesn't compare. Not if your interested in Tier2 bin5 diesel.

Subaru meanwhile is the best when it comes to AWD (not 4X4). Subaru does AWD better than any car on the road. Too bad they aren't offering Clean Diesel. they are the second most reliable car on the road too. Own the Outback.

I wouldn't look at a VW except for the Diesel factor, I just want to know when it gets here and how much it will cost.
    There is no comparison if what you're waiting for is the Diesel.

Someone please tell me ...for what other reason would you buy a VW unless it was for it's Diesel?
    Just got back from the NY International Auto Show.
    One of the vehicles on my list to checkout was the new Tiguan. I found it kind of bland looking.Boring wheels and tires. Interior isn't to bad looking.Was hoping for an aggressive looking off road version...Also interested in the diesel version when it finally gets here eventually. But the way diesel fuel prices are going, its gonna have to get a real high number. Looks like i'm going to pass on this.... :(
This discussion has been closed.