Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 BMW V5 Midsize Wagon

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
edited March 2014 in BMW
Will the upcoming V5 be a hit or a miss?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Hmm, a BMW minivan ("MPV")? They will have to outdo Honda, who has nearly a decade more experience making the world's best minivan.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I read in one of the European magazines that there is an old joke in Germany. It goes something like "BMW's product planning is carried out in Stutguart (Mercedes-Benz). Whatever Mercedes does BMW has to counter is what they were trying to say.

Lets see:

Mercedes M-Class 1998, BMW X5 2000.

Mercedes B-Class 2005 BMW V3 on the drawing board.

Mercedes R-Class, BMW V5 on the drawing board.

Then again - BMW Z3 1996, MB SLK 1997.

Was the European 1-Series done because of the A-Class? Don't know.

Hmmmmmm....

The big thing here will be to see if BMW can apply their dynamics to such a vehicle.

corvette,

This BMW won't be competing with a Honda. I doubt that it will be a straight minvan either. It will be more like a crossover thingy. You know like the R-Class or Volvo XC90 or RX330, but with the promise of being far more entertaining to drive than any of those, especially the RX.

M
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    ***This BMW won't be competing with a Honda.***

I sort of knew that, because it will probably be double the price.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I've read about it.

It just goes to show you that BMW has sold out. What a joke.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I bought an August issue of Car and Driver a while, and they have a little bit of info about the V5, as a preview.

It's primary competitor will be the Mercedes R Class. This makes sense considering the estimated price is between $45,000-$55,000. This not a traditional minivan with sliding doors, rather a tall wagon or as they call it "sports tourer".

It will be based on the 2007 X5, which is based on the current 5 Series.

The engine choices are the familiar 3.0 liter inline six, producing 255hp as well as 4.8 liter V8 giving off 362hp. I believe that is the same engine used in the 7 Series. A six speed automatic is available.

The picture they have only shows the front end, which very closely resembles the 5 series, although the 5 series is getting it's own wagon.

As I hear, it will be built at the Spartanburg, South Carolina plant along with the X5 and Z4.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    What is the point of the "V5" when they have the X5?

Why a V-8-powered V5 yet no V-8-powered 5 series wagon?
  • arvin1arvin1 Member Posts: 9
    It looks good :)
  • bobbobobobbobo Member Posts: 8
    V5 is a totally different car - and that's the first difference - its a car not an SUV. BMW doesn't yet make a vehicle for someone that has more than 2 kids (the X5 isn't even a good choice for 2 kids due to its limited storage. Until the R Class Merc came out (or maybe the Caddy) your choices were an SUV (which is stupid if you never go off road - excess wasted weight, compromised driving dynamics, poor fuel economy, high step in, inefficient storage) or a minivan. I have an Odyssey right now for that reason - with 3 kid car seats there is no non SUV option that isn't a minivan - and the Odyssey is good for minivan, but its not a luxury vehicle and its driving dynamics suck (particularly braking). I would trade in the Odyssey in a second for a V5...

The V5 is about space where the X5 is about SUV style (cause' as an off road vehicle it really can't compete with real off road vehicles) - an X5 hauling capacity is a joke, its driving dynamics (while laudable for an SUV) are always going to be a compromised because of the high center of gravity and the xtra weight of the off road suspension bits. A V5 (one hopes) will be about those customers that prioritize maximizing space and driving dynamics over off road "sytle" but can't cram their family into a 5 series or e320 wagon. As such it should handle better than X5, be lighter, haul more, and ultimately be safer than an X5 too boot.

As for the V8 question - the V5 is going to weigh more because it will be large (expect 4600-4800 lbs - the Merc is something like 4900+) - but you are right they should have a v8 version of the 5 series wagon... that and an M version (which I hear is coming.. fingers crossed)...
This discussion has been closed.