Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine Swaps

Comments

• killakakillaka Member Posts: 1
    i have an 88 lincoln mark 7 that im going to top out when i get back from basic my only problem is that i want to ditch the h.o. 302 and automatic trans thats in it right now. i need a larger engine and better transmission for what i want to do. i will even put a chevy engine and transmission in it if i have to. i want a 400 cubic inch motor or larger only i cant find any swap out websites where someones done that to a car like mine. what kind of engine and transmission should i look into on a budget of 3000 dollars. i want to get everything fom the salvage yard so i can build it myself. i want the engine to be carberated. what should i be looking for if i want to be able to have at least 400 hp and be able smoke the tires for blocks on end?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I believe that engine has a huge selection of bolt-on mods, given the large number of Mustangs out there. You sure you want to go through all the trouble of engine swaps when you have so much aftermarket support already?

-juice
  • bmw85bmw85 Member Posts: 5
    http://www.personal.kent.edu/~wbainey/BMW.htm try this copy and paste in browser
    Ed
  • pcapillopcapillo Member Posts: 1
    I finished my sr swap about six months ago. Now I need something with more torque. I'm thinking about a rb26dett in a 91-98 300zx. How hard is it, and what do I have to change.
  • moon_dawg55moon_dawg55 Member Posts: 1
    i am interested in info about the 5.0 swap into a 240sx.
    thank you
    greg
  • w3racingw3racing Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a '89 Nissan 240sx with a blown engine.
    I,m very interested in a kit to install my small block chevy into it.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • jwmpoppyjwmpoppy Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum. I need the same info. I don't know how to get the info you will receive.Could you e-mail me a good reply on all you need to make the swap. Thanks!!!!!
  • rll2rll2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently pulled a 455 c.i. with extended tail turbo 400 transmission out of a 1970 Buick Electra. I'm planning on putting this combination into a 1979 Buick Electra which currently has a 350 buick engine and a 350 turbo-hydramatic. My current list of questions includes 1)best motor mounts to use for this swap. 2)are the older style motor mounts (1970 vintage) going to line up with any of the numerous predrilled holes in the frame? 3)the best transmission cross member to accomodate the dual exhaust system (the current cross member only accomodates a single exhaust on the passenger side) 4)I'm using the stock exhaust manifolds on the 455, it looks like there should be an acceptable amount of room, but it's a close call. 5) Is the factory rearend in the 1979 durable enough to handle the significant increase in horsepower and torque.(the car will see very little drag strip type duty). I do realize that the drive shaft will need to be shortened, but is there anything else that I've overlooked? I would greatly appreciate comments from anyone whose done this particular swap. Thanks-a-bunch RLL2
  • brownboibrownboi Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1997 neon i want to do an engine swap, but i dont know if an h22 or a b16 would fit. also what is the biggest engine i can fit in it. i need help so if you know any thing me know.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah you can cram the 2.4 dohc engine in there. This site tells you all about it:

neons.org

But before you get into all that, here are LOTS of suggestions for improving what you have in there now:

http://www.allpar.com/neon/performance.html
  • justuscjustusc Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a 85 cherokee can anyone tell me if I can swap the old 2.5 with newer 2.5 and keep the engine carborated?
  • skyline2025skyline2025 Member Posts: 1
    I need to know which engine will suit me better in all around basis. I want my car to do everything to a daily drive and then take it to the track and run some good laps while having a decent 1/4 mile time. I know the RB is a heavy engine and that it will offset my weight, but that thing can make good power. Yet, the SR is a pruven moter just like the RB just two cylinders less but has the same potential. Can you help on making a choice that will help as well as converting it to rear wheel drive???
    Thank's, Pavol
  • brownboibrownboi Member Posts: 2
    would a h22, b16 or a b18 fit in a 1998 doge noen?
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I don't see why not. However, you may have to switch over more than just the intake manifold.
  • xero1xero1 Member Posts: 1
    would it be possible to fit a twin turbo JZA into a 1998 eclipse GST? And would i have to switch the drive train from FWD to RWD?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    correct me if i'm wrong, but that's the Supra engine, right? Yes, you'd absolutely need to switch to RWD. And, given there is no transmission and driveshaft tunnel ... not to mention space for the differential, etc, under the car, then I don't think its likely you can do it for any sort of reasonable price. If it is the engine I'm thinking of, its a straight 6, so there is no way its going to sit sideways in the eclipse in order to drive the front wheel.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• markbr549markbr549 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone did this swap before and can you tell me anything about motor mounts and maybe even headers that will fit...I am using the olds tranny so the drive shaft and tranny mount should be okay...or not?
  • viperracerviperracer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Nissan Pickup. I want to know if anyone out there knows if an SR20DET will fit right in, or if I need any major mods? Do you know of any good shops who will do this swap for me? I live in Jersey. I would Perfer the shop in NJ. Thanks.
  • _civic_cx__civic_cx_ Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: this is for a 88 honda civic dx hb i wanna swap in a rebuilt crx motor will i have to modifie anything at all?????????
  • xsentrikxsentrik Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 1999 Mercury Cougar, 100% custom. I have put quite a bit of money into this car and now I am looking to swap the motor for something with a hell of a lot of pep.

So far I've had this done to it:
    6pc V-Style Body Kit (front & rear aprn, skirts, front fenders)
    FBSS Air Bag Suspension
    Custom Interior
    Pearl Underflake w/ Burgondy Overlay
    Rockford Fosgate Custom Fiberglass System
    Custom Hood (opens outward from middle)
    Drop forward front clip (like the big rigs)
    18" Ferretti Chrome Racing Rims / Tires
    Custom Top (converted to a roadster NO TOP!)

Now I am looking to put a motor in this bad boy that will rip up the roads and make the tires smokeeeeeeee. Currently it has the stock I4 Cougar Engine. It's a FWD automatic. I am wanting to convert to a manual and drop a better engine in it.

What kind of motors would you recommend that would fit into the Cougar and give me the power to burn up the streets? It has to be compatable with the FWD and able to do the conversion to manual. Any help would be GREAT!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I would consider the SVT Contour's powertrain, perhaps. It's a tuned 2.5l V6, and the Cougar got a variation of that Duratec engine so it might be a good fit.

-juice
  • fixeddicefixeddice Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about the VW one, but I added the Neuspeed Cat-Back Exhaust System to my VR6 and I could both feel the better acceleration and it sounds like a beast!
  • bryanr7317bryanr7317 Member Posts: 1
    My friend and I have transplanted a 5.7 into both an 85 s-10 pick-up and it was just put into a 95 s-15 blazer. Is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive? The difference is the oil pan. @ wheel you can use any A- body oilpan but the 4 wheel requires a $300 oil pan. The mounts can be purchase relatively cheap and they are needed to relocate the mounting forward. There are also special headers for this application that have a wide loop that the steering shaft passes through on the drivers side. A radiator from a 2.8 will not work but one from a 4.3 donor will match but i would reccommend the unse of an electric fan also. The biggeswt requirement you have is getting a transmission for either a 4.3 or a rear wheel drive GM car or truck with the short tail on it. The swap is relatively easy and the fun value is welll worth the effort.
  • iaminunowiaminunow Member Posts: 1
    I have an 88 civic dx 3 door with 1.5 liter and 4 speed trans. ,and I would like to know if I can put a 2.0 with a 6 speed into it? And what might be the oldest honda or acura that has a 6 speed in it ? Please someone let me know.
  • chuff1026chuff1026 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I have a 99 cougar. I wanna see a pick of that roadstar,..

marc
  • perrimcpheeperrimcphee Member Posts: 2
    Hey, i'm new to the VW world and i know this isn't quite the right forum but i'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm going to look at a 2003 Jetta GLi next week and the dealer i've spoken with is claiming that it's stock turbo-charged. From what i can find the GLi, isn't turbo charged. Can someone let me know whats true or not? Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • 95chevy4life95chevy4life Member Posts: 1
    HI. I have a 1995 Chevy Caprice with a 4.3L V8 265cid (baby LT1) My engine looks almost identical to the engine in an Impala, with the exception of the oil filler cap. I was wondering if I could buy a rebuild kit for the 5.7L V8 350cid and install it on my car. I'm looking to achieve 400hp-450hp after I'm done with it. I'm really not trying to race it.............. honestly! I swear! Can anyone help?
  • 91montero91montero Member Posts: 1
    AMYBODY OUT THERE KNOW IF I CAN SWAP OUT MY SOHC 12V 3.0 HEAD OUT OF MY 91 MONTERO LS WITH A NEWER DOHC 24V HEAD?
  • vvvvroomvvvvroom Member Posts: 1
    I had a contour svt. I wrecked but the engine and tranny may be in good condition. Its in town at a towing location
  • tencentcaddytencentcaddy Member Posts: 1
    I am gonna put a 32 Valve Northstar V8 Cadillac motor in my lowered 1988 Chevy S10. My question is, What 5-speed transmission should i look into getting to bolt in behind this 32 Valve motor? Maybe what it is and model number, and possibly years of cars it was in............ Also what would i need to bolt this motor into my 88 S-10? Any help on this matter, would be helpful...........I am doing this all on my own, and i want to get this stuff right............Thankzzzz peeps.......
  • adamniaziadamniazi Member Posts: 1
    Hey, i need some help with my car. I currently own a 1994 VW golf CL stock. I want to turn this car into a track racing car, but i don't know where to start.i know the first thing is to get a VR6 engine and work on the suspension but i don't know where to get he engine or the parts. I live in toronto, ontario and if someone coud help me, i woud greatly appreciate it. thanx
  • thev6banditthev6bandit Member Posts: 1
    i swaped a 1.3 litre striaght 4 for a 2.0 v6 sierra engine a had to swap the gearbox and the dif 2 tho but now it goes hell for leather.
  • msclcrmnmsclcrmn Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to do the same. Let me know how it goes. As far as a 5 speed, you will have to have a custom flywheel, as the northstar never had a manual trans. But fiero guys have been doing this for years. I believe the northstar has GM's corporate front wheel drive bellhousing pattern. The 2.8 that was used in the s-10 share this pattern. I think I read something about needing to modify for the nose of the starter in the bell housing. Would have to check. you might try
    http://www.fierosails.com/fierosecrets.html#Engine Conversions, V-8s
    or http://www.design1systems.com for more info.

Good Luck!!!!!
  • 95capguy195capguy1 Member Posts: 1
    ur 4.3 has 200hp u can easily make it 300hp with tweaks injectors and other such things u dont need to swap the lt1 only has 60 more hose than the 4.3 plus it weight more because it's at abigger displacement 400 for street use come on my buddy has an impala lt1 and he can roast the tires on that thing with stock power
  • brookesbrookes Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a VR6 engine adapter to a Borg Warner or BMW 5 speed transmission (rwd configuration). I have checked with Kennedy, but they don't support that conversion. HELP
  • andre_tandre_t Member Posts: 1
    I drive a '97 Jetta GT and was wondering where i could get ahold of a VR6 engine for it. Does anyone have any ideas of where i could get one? I live in Mansfield OH, and would also like to know a rough estimate of how much i should pay for one. thank you
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You should google for wrecking yards in your area. Most yards are hooked up with either an older call system or by computer to other yards that might supply the engine. As for prices, once you get a quote from 2 or 3 yards you'll have an idea. What you want is an engine that has been removed, cleaned, tested and bagged up, with a warranty from the wrecker.
  • sw1zzl3sw1zzl3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1985 camaro, v6 2.8L, and I am thinking about puting a 350 engine in it. Is there a kit that I can get that has everything that I need in it or am I gonna have to make things myself and buy things seperate?
  • west_gtiwest_gti Member Posts: 1
    i was recently driving down a backroad where there were no "construction" or "bump" signs and hit a bump in the road really hard and dented my oil pan really bad. wanted to get as far as i could, after a block i heard a repeating thump sound then after another block my oil light came on and began to ding. i immediately shut it off and pulled over. MY QUESTION IS, has this happened to anyone else before, do u know what is broken, and what is the most inexpensive and fastest way i go about fixing it? thank you for your reply's.
  • redlancer02redlancer02 Member Posts: 7
    i got a 2002 mitsubishi lancer es. i was wondering if any one knew what is the engine designation and what other types of engines you can swap out with it..??
  • fiero1fiero1 Member Posts: 2
    i am doing the v8 conversion to my 88 fiero. does anybody know what flywheel to use and what car to get it out of thnx
  • dcovic05dcovic05 Member Posts: 6
    Im looking at this Eclipse I want and I was wondering if anyone knew of any successful or at least extremely possible engine swaps. It has a 2.0L L4 SFI DOHC 16V engine right now, but I obviously want bigger. Let me know anything. Thanks
  • 96golfer96golfer Member Posts: 1
    I just acquired a lowered '96 Golf with cat back exhaust. To my knowledge, these are the only modifications that have been done to the car. Anyhow, I would like to engine swap this vehicle to a VR6 and I had a few questions. I have a willing and able mechanic ready to help me once I acquire all the parts I need.

1. Which version of the VR6 should I look to get?

2. What are all the components I need to go along with it?
    (such as motor mounts, transmission, etc)

3. I am assuming I will have to change out the suspension to accomodate the weight of the new motor, so should I go with the stock springs from a vehicle that had the VR6? or will I have to get new lowering springs designed for a vehicle that had VR6 to maintain the current ride height and look of the vehicle?

4. Which is better for this motor: Turbo-charging, or super-charging? what are the pros/cons and approx. pricing.

5. The car currently has drum brakes in the back .. anyone know of a disc-brake conversion??

6. And lastly, would you recommend doing a clutch and header upgrade to this?

Any other recommendations or suggestions are appreciated as I will be taking my time to do this right. Thanks!
  • joltoentjoltoent Member Posts: 1
    does anyone if can swap 95' eagle talon engine with a 94' supra turbo engine or a 02' skyline gtr engine :shades:
    I'm certainly no expert in this arena, but I'm pretty darned sure the engine compartment of a Talon is not going to accept either of those engines.

The Talon starts life as a transverse FWD 4-cyl. Those other 2 are RWD straight-6s. Its just not going to happen without MAJOR reconstruction.

Why not just track down a TSi engine?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• b420b420 Member Posts: 1
    i need to know if a 2.0 v-tec will fit in a crx with a 1.5 liter engine.
    maybe with more info i could wager a guess ... what year CRX? You want to swap engine and tranny? or are you asking if the 2.0 will bolt up to the 1.5 tranny?

• bardfastbardfast Member Posts: 1
    An engine doesn't weigh more because of it's displacement. A 350 small block weighs the same as a 400 or a 283.
  • 59fiat110059fiat1100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1959 Fiat 1100 103D.The motor on that only pumps out about 84hp and I dont wont to have it bored out because its a lemon :lemon: It 1089cc 4 cylinder. What can i swap with it?? P.S I am willing to move the mounts as long as the new motor is not to much bigger.