Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine Swaps

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
This is the topic for sharing information on engine swaps.
Have you done an engine swap? Share you story!
Thinking about doing one? Ask questions here.

kirstie_h
Roving Host
Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• vw4me623vw4me623 Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 2001 vw golf 2.0L 4 cylinder. I was wondering if it would be at all possible to swap this engine for the vr6. I know there might be complications with the computer and space in the engine bay but would this car be able to accept this new engine?
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    contact Tectonics tuning (http://techtonicstuning.com/) - these guys have everything already set up for swapping just about any VW engine into a VW it wasn't originally meant for - I used to live near the place, and talked to these guys on many occasions - good folks.
  • fdiggarfdiggar Member Posts: 3
    CAN NOT SEEM TO LOCATE TRANSMISSION DIP STICK ON AUTOMATIC PLEASE HELP
  • fdiggarfdiggar Member Posts: 3
    POWER WINDOWS FUSE BLOWN DONT HAVE MANUAL ,WHERE IS FUSE LOCATED AND PASSENGER WINSHIELDWIPER DOES NOT WORK IS THAT A SEPARATE MOTOR?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi, and welcome to the Forums.

You're in the wrong board. This is Speedshop, for discussing only modifications/tuning/aftermarket accessories.

You should be posting in our Maintenance & Repair Board.

You can also use our "browse" or "search" features to the left of any page on the Forums and use keywords like VW.

Once you've found a forum that is suitable for your question, you can "subscribe" to that forum, and then when you return to the Forums on another day, just use the message center tab to see all the forums you subscribed to. That way you'll never lose your place.

thank you

Host
    Speedshop Message Board
  • golfactorgolfactor Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone added the VW factory performance exhaust to there Golf or Jetta?

Does it really make any difference?
    Other than resale value.

115hp is ok, but I want something unique, other than tinted windows and chrome inlet lewvers. The Factory part has a lifetime warranty, but $500.00?
    https://www.1stvwparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=64_80&products_id=809&PHPSESSID=- -
    If that thing is actually behind the catalytic converter, no way you are going to get much HP for that $502. Even with a free-flow cat and a free-flow exhaust you'd be lucky to see 4-10HP and most likely on the low end of that range for most cars.

Why don't you see what ANSA is offering for that car? I put one on my car at less than 1/2 the price of fancy pants OEM and it sounds GREAT...don't think it added any HP but sounds good, looks good, I'm happy for $226 installed as I needed a muffler anyway.
  • golfactorgolfactor Member Posts: 5
    Thanks....I'll give it a look.
  • turbodude84turbodude84 Member Posts: 26
    I am swapping my vg30 for a RB26. This going to be a good one. We are going to be putting this monster in my 84 300zx. We are hoping for the best in pro street tire car.. I will keep info up to date if I can remember..
    Later
    TurboDude84
    I recently saw a 1978 280ZX with a VG45 swap....in Japan, in a magazine, of course, but how cool is that?
    Here's an early Z car with a Chevy 350. Some say blasphemy (I tend not to like to do this to "classics") but there is that 270HP for your right foot.

That is very cool. That all you would want to I bet
    executed Chevy small block swaps - they can look great, too, and not have major issues for handling if you go with aluminum heads, electric fans, relocated battery, and other weight saving ideas.

I tried like crazy to convince my youngest son to do a 350 (or Ford 5.0) swap on his 1990 Nissan 240SX, since there are kits for both, but he was all about that JDM thing...
    Wow in a 240! I thought i was nutz putting a skyline motor in my 300zx. But WOW!!!!
    had a Mustang 5.0, 5-speed, and a beefed Nissan rear diff so they could keep the IRS...

Nothing quite like the looks from people when a clean, not gussied up, 240 rolls by and you hear a 5.0 talking through Flowmasters - pretty eerie...
    It's supposed to be a nice clean fit, too.
    is an even better fit....maybe I can find one....I'd want a coupe instead of a hatchback...
  • atvdraggeratvdragger Member Posts: 26
    I have an '89 Mustang GT convertable with over 270,000 miles on it and I want to freshen it up. I want to install a 347 stroker with AFR 185 heads GT40 intake, and all the other mods that must go with it to do it right.I've been told that a 347 makes a good race engine but wont hold up for daily use.Is there anything to it?All I really want to do is not to have to worry about any average 4 cylinders and make about 450bhp.
    That sounds pretty awsome.That sound like some of the stuff that I've built.I call myself atvdragger because thats what I do for fun, dragrace atv's that is.I'm currently running a suzuki 500 quadzilla frame with a beefed up Hyabusa engine in it.You should see the looks and comments.I know, enough about bikes this a car forum
    and other uninformed "experts"..... "makes a good race engine but wont hold up for daily use"

The folks who told you this probably built one on their own, then proceeded to run it at 10,000 rpm after not doing a break-in. Any engine is only as good as its builder.

This kind of talk drives me nuts - sorry. Central Coast Mustang has been selling several stages of their 306, 327, 331, 347, 358, 392 and 408 stroker motors for many years and providing a warranty - can't beat the deal, its all assembled with your choice of heads and cam. There are several other Mustang engine gurus that can hook you up with a stroker long block for $2500-4000, depending on how trick you want to get.

I've had three close friends buy from them with absolutely no glitches, and these cars are NOT babied, by any means. One has a Vortech with a charge cooler, one it a carbed drag car, and the other uses a GT40 intake and is a daily driver and autocrosser.

Not a problem, hook it up and have some (more) fun.
    I am wondering. I am thinking that you guys are in the over kill mode.. Is there a reason why a 4 cylinder can not produce 400+ HP and still be able drive it ever day? I think that its a little over kill.. Just my thought...

Later Derek
    I just hope that somebody does something to the suspension and brakes on that Mustang BEFORE the 450HP goes in ;)
    Absolutely! As a matter of fact that has already been addressed. It's got a 4-wheel disc conversion, coil over's and heaveyer sway bar's.I would go with the five lug conversion but I want it to be a real sleeper.
    Over kill?? Not a chance!! Actually that is being real modest. You can reliably get that kind of power out of a well built 302 naturally asperrated. A 347 can do much better with NO power adders. If you add nitros, or a K-B blower, or turbo you could possibly hit 800hp or more (might not be quit so reliable then thou.). As far as a 4 cylinder goes , sure you can get 400+hp but it cost so much more and has much less torque.Regaurdless of your preference it's all fun.I just can't afford to built a 4 banger.
    Oh believe me, I am all about making something crazy.. But for me i have more fun making my 2.6 liter straight 6 run in the low 8's in the quarter on street tires..
    well one thing is for sure I'll can hear you coming. ( just joking) I am motorhead all 250 lbs of and I always will be. and for the torque issues the weight is a lot less in those smaller 240's
    I didn't think we were....low 8s on street tires?
    no really.. low 8's high 7.90 in the 1/4
    I have a RB26 from a skyline in a 84 300zx backed up with a turbo 400 w/trans brake
    run twin T61/T4 Turbos and a 104mm throttlebody on a single 100hp shot of nos
    Oh he's on the juice...that explains it....
    nope just need a 100 shot just to wake up those 2 big turbo. My shot only last til the turbos get to 20psi then its off and it all turbos after that.. And you bake an engine if you dont know what you are doing... Dont take that the wrong way i am not trying to tick you off or nothing
  • rbillieuxrbillieux Member Posts: 36
    where is my answer about Saturn--posted on quick answer and on maintaince see message but no answer how do i get it Bob B
    See? We have more in common than just a need for speed ,I also weigh in at 250lb. That's a darn fast 2.6 liter. I wish I could see it in action. Oh well. By the way Fox boded mustangs weigh less than most people think. My GT vert is only at 2800lb's all dressed up. The coupe is at 2600lb's.

p.s.-If you don't mind me being nosy. How much did it cost to build that 2.6? If you wish to be discreete drop me a line at j.tyler@washingtonemc.com. If you'd rather not say I'd understand.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Bob, here's the link to your post:

rbillieux, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #1345, 21 Apr 2005 2:26 pm

You can also navigate there by going to the Maintenance board using the Browse by Board drop down box on the left or Search Forums for Quick.

Steve, Host
    Now here's an engine I could stuff into my Porsche 928:

http://www.race-cars.com/engsales/other/1098459638/1098459638ss.htm

RE: "Baking" an engine---I think you misunderstood....I didn't mean you were "frying" it, I meant it was being "cooked" in a good way...
    That would be sweet.You could also go to Robert Yates or Jack Roush Racing and aquire a reconditioned NASCAR engine and do about the same power for about the same price.Either way.....REAL NICE!! :shades:
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    Back to that small block in a 240Z - there was an outfit that used to sell those conversions called Scarab, if my memory serves me.
    so far around 4000. 3800 was the motor and 200 on rods so far.. The intake and exhaust was free so he could get his name out in the public.. So not to bad so far..
    Man....tough to beat thous numbers and get thous times. Nice job! :shades:
    I have a lot of friends in the industry and they have alot of parts that they dont use any more or are willing to help out to get there name out there to public..Over the weekend at the NOPI event in Va. i watch one of good friends go 8.05 with a stock RB26 in his pro rear car.. The car was an all tube car and liberty trans and one big GT40 turbo.. here are some pics of the intake and turbo manifold.. Granted the they are on a Supra but the same guy built mine...Dang i will have to find them and put the link on the next post..
    Later Derek
    here you go. Remember its on a Supra for your look..
    [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/TurboDude84/sup6.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/TurboDude84/sup3.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/TurboDude84/IMG_0172.jpg[/IMG]
    these pics should help. This will show power that can be produced
    Later Derek
    I hope this link will work
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y188/TurboDude84/
    Later Derek
    When I go to that link, it pulls up your account and promts me for your password. Oh well, that's ok. Thanks anyway for you effort. :confuse:
    I think I needed to log out. Give it another whirl
    Later Derek
  • porschevyporschevy Member Posts: 9
    Both my dad and I have swappe 928's, here's a link to check them out.

link titleSuperSharks
    O.M.G WOW i thought i did some crazy stuff. that is off the hook.. One thing how does it drive..
    Later Derek
  • porschevyporschevy Member Posts: 9
    They drive excellent. There is a slight obstruction of view in the yellow one, but they handle great.
    Still no go.
    SWEEEEET!!! I don't know anything about porsche but I would have thought they would not have needed any help in the engine department. How does the extra weight feel? I could only imagin that Porsche finatics would "poo poo" at you.(give ya the finger that is.) Also are there any problems with the chassis handling the extra power and torque? I mean, the first time I put a crotchrocket motor in an atv I realy had to reinforce the frame and swing arm. No problems like that?
    Oh Ok I wasn't sure what you meant.. In my business there are a lot of people that doesn't like the idea of a power adder of any sort.. So i wasn't sure what you meant,
    But its all good here..
    Later Derek
    My younger brother shoe horned a 460 in to an old '85 stang last year just because he could. He found the v8 coupe minus engine + tranny for $300. He also happened to know where a '76 Mercury Grand marque was at for $100 (Donner car for the 460 and C6 tranny) He rebuilt both and simply stuffed em' in. They actually fit real nice. It cost him less than $1200 total Including the paint! (called in a lot of favors)
    Porsche 928 chassis is very good and can handle a lot of HP. Most of the car is quite over-built; however I think bigger brakes would be a good idea.

This engine swap is something you might do to a 928 not so much for the power, because the cars are already powerful, but to avoid having to rebuild a 928 engine, which can be very expensive. A late model 928 is already way fast but an earlier 928 only has a 4.5 liter V-8 and could easily handle another 100 HP from a built-up Chevy motor.