Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine Swaps

12345679»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Well you can put any engine in any car with enough $$$$.

I'd say it's doable but you not only have the physical swap, since you are going to a FI car, you'll need to build a wiring harness for the 77 olds to accomodate the Impala engine.

-mike
  • screwynoodlescrewynoodle Member Posts: 2
    Another thing to consider may be an aftermarket FI kit, like the one Edelbrock makes for the Chev SB V8. Before buying, though, make sure the 350 in your Olds is a Chev engine, and not the 350R Olds Engine. Both were used, but the mount angles on the intake, as well as the bolt pattern are different. The easiest way to spot the difference is a quick peek at the water pump. If your water pump is flush mounted to the block, you have a "Rocket" engine, and should opt for a Chev before going FI, or get ready to rewire the entire car. Modding an older engine should be more cost effective than transplanting a 96 engine, though.
  • justoianjustoian Member Posts: 1
    i own a 92 toyota paseo and want to swap out the 5efe motor with the 3sgte mr2 or celica motor. does any one kno y i would need a costom axel with this swap and where i could get one done close to the ny jfk airport area
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    sounds like fun.

My quick search online found quite a bit of info on similar swaps at dedicated toyota message boards. Start by googling 3sgte toyota paseo. Sorry I can't be of further help without doing alot of research.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• amigogirlamigogirl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1993 Isuzu Amigo that seems to keep having engine problems. About three years after I got it it blew a head gasket. Got that fixed 6 months later, another head gasket. This time it was recommended to replace the engine. Got a used engine. About 4 years later, cracked head. Decided to replace it with a rebuilt. That one lasted about 3 years and it now knocking unbelievably. After looking various places online at used Amigos for sale I have found that many of this generation of Amigos say "engine knocks" or "needs new engine" so I'm thinking the best bet would be to replace it with another type of engine, possibly a Chevy? Can anyone tell me the best option for an engine swap and if there are conversion kits for this sort of thing or if I would be on my own with this? Thanks!! :sick:
  • amigogirlamigogirl Member Posts: 2
    Sorry forgot to mention my Amigo is 5-speed and it is NOT 4WD. Thanks! :sick:
    I've seen a few that have Chevy 350s in them and the V6 out of an S10/Blazer.

It's not easy and you really need to love your Isuzu to do it but it can be done.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    I just have to wonder "why keep it?"
    I mean, the first used engine was a stretch, but once that head cracked, I would have sent it packing. It is time to cut your losses and buy something else.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Some Isuzu fans are die hards. They do make a great platform for offroading so that would be a possible reason to keep it, but the OP has a 2wd so not sure.

-mike
    so buy another isuzu. I'm just saying, this particular one has had one foot in the grave for a LOONNNGG time.

Some people like projects. Like I said I've seen several 350s and 4.3L V6 engines swapped into Rodeos, Amigos, and Troopers over the years. Solid axle swaps are also popular for offroaders.

-mike
  • bullboybullboy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 92 k1500 with a 4.3 and I would like to replace it with a 305 I took out of a 1985 chevy van. what all do I need to do and can I use the computer for the 4.3.
    I'm almost positive the computer will not work. We're talking a fuel injected 4.3 to a TBI (carburetor with electronic injectors tacked on top) 5 liter, ain't we? I know the 5.7 of that year was TBI, so I'm assuming the 5 is, as well. Not to mention, of course, V8 vs V6, etc. The computers shouldn't even be remotely similar.

Good thing is, the '85 engine shouldn't be so overly controlled by electronics that you can't swap it all into the '92. I'm just not sure what any other consequences would be.

Check the legality, usually you can install a newer motor in an older car but not the other way around. I also agree that the ECU for the V6 won't work on the V8.

-mike
  • butchw1982butchw1982 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 1997 mercury cougar with a 3.8 liter v6 with only 145 horsepower. i am thinking of doing a engine swap with a small block 350 or 383, but will something like that fit into my engine bay? also will i have to put in a new transmission and a new ecu? any help will be appreciated. thanks
    I'm not sure how legal swapping in a larger engine would be in terms of emissions.

I say stay with ford only cause you may be able to use the harness or adapt the wiring harness easier sticking with the same manufacturer.

-mike
    I that the RWD or FWD couger?

My guess would be you'd want to stick with a Ford Motor. You'd likely need a new ECU, possibly wiring harness, and possibly a transmission as well.

-mike
  • butchw1982butchw1982 Member Posts: 4
    my car is rear wheel drive. i would like to stick with a ford motor but i am not strict on it. i am looking around for anything i can get my hands on leagally and cheap. i was thinking that i would have to get a new transmission and ecu since everything with the motor will be new and different. any other info you can give me is appreciated.
  • zeeker260zeeker260 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone done this swap already as I need some direction as to how to mate the 1.6 L chassis harness to the 1.8 L ECM . We are installing a 2001 1.8 engine with variable timing into a 92 Miata that had the1.6L engine. The 1.6 all seem to have the same problem after 60KM they start to tick and it is the piston skirt that is going bad. Then boom, new engine time, The difficulty is making sense of the two wiring diagrams and inter connecting them.
    Any help is appreciated. :
  • schwhackschwhack Member Posts: 2
    hey everyone,im doin an engine swap from a 96 rs 2.2 4-speed auto to a 97 rs 2.2 3-speed auto car. does anyone know what all is involved in doin the swap,as far as electronics and shifter linkage type stuff. whould it be easier or better to change transmissions on the motors? im not sure the 3 speed trans is good.i have both cars side by side.
    i would appreciate any helpful info.
  • laffennnlaffennn Member Posts: 1
    would it be alot work to switch a golf 1.8 engine with a vr6? i got a very cheap donor vr6 golf with engine and all intact, just need a new frame as most of the original vr6 car is damaged at the rear.
    to make the question more simple, is there a guide somewhere about swapping engines in general or from 1 golf to another?

all help is greatly apprecciated
    what kind of car?

-mike
  • schwhackschwhack Member Posts: 2
    its a cavalier,ive already got it swapped.had to change the trans,axles,shifter,shifter cable,engine bay harness and the ecu.
  • maverickjmaverickj Member Posts: 16
    Yeah, I have seen couple of 240SX with 350 Engine Mods in them at car show. It's a lot of work but turns out great.
    Later.
  • darts1darts1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 87 bronco11 with 2.9 v6 what engine interchanges with it without changein the aoto tranny plz e mail me at darts56@hotmail.com thanks
  • bullboybullboy Member Posts: 2
    I recently had some as***** who broke into my garage and stoled my carb,dist,intake and all the chrome off my engine. I had this engine built for me and I do not remember what cam it has and I would like to mach everything up. So I would like to know is there any way I can tell what cam it is without pulling it out . I would appreciate any input
    Thank you
  • dtbirddtbird Member Posts: 3
    I posted this same question on a different board in this forum, then I saw the title "engine swap" & thought I should post it here.
    Anyway my question is, would it be possible to put a fuel injected 5.0 from an '86 Grand Marquis (actually I put this motor in & the guy I bought it from said it was out of a T-Bird or a Mustang) and put that motor in a '86 T-Bird with a throttle body injected 3.8?
    What do ya think????
  • cliff85jcliff85j Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 honda passport with a 3.2L V6 that has some maintenance problems. I also have a 91 Chevy pickup with a 4.3L V6 and am thinking puting the 4.3L inth the Honda. I was wondering if anyone knows how hard it will be to match the engine the the transmission, computer, wiring etc. Both vehicle are manual trans. Or am I better off looking for another Isuzu engine? I know Isuzu makes a 4.3L V6. The Honda passport was manufactured by Isuzu for honda.
  • oreocreamingoreocreaming Member Posts: 2
    if you have any questions your more then welcome to e mail me at oreocreaming@yahoo.com. ive got a 350 in my 92 rodeo. simple swap.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for or offer to give "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
  • errorerror Member Posts: 1
    How can I find out if an engine from a 1998 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 with Auto Transmission fit into a 1993 Ford Ranger with 2.3L I-4 with 5sp trans.
  • junebug13junebug13 Member Posts: 1
    i am putting engine out of 1994 3.2 into 1997 3.2 body can any body tell me if the
    wireing harnace will work one has the coil packs no each plugs and the other has coilpacks on top of engine what kind of problems am i faceing .

please help jc
  • jokingjoshjokingjosh Member Posts: 1
    I was told that an 02 Kia Sedona engine would fit in 03 Kia Sorento. It would require me to switch out the exhaust manifold. Is there any other install issues that I need to know about before I attempt this job. Such as motor mounts, sensors etc.
  • jliotjliot Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

Don't know if this is the right place for info, but here goes:
    I have a 4.2 l (I-6) Envoy motor that I will be fitting into a 1/2T GMC pick-up. The problem I have run into is that the Envoy 6 cyl motor has a unique 8 bolt pattern to connect the flex plate to the flywheel. Normally, this would be no problem except I want to put in a standard transmission. I want/need some transmission speed sensors to keep the computer happy and I really want a transmission whose case will closely bolt up to the 4.2 motor. I have narrowed it down to an Aisin 5 speed from a Canyon or Colorado. Hopefully, the flywheel will interchange and the trans case will bolt up. I know that this transmission is a bit light on the torque requirements, but I am a fairly modest driver.
    Can any of you offer me any help on this project? I am committed to do this, so please don't give me any "can't be done" replies. Thanks for your help.

Jeff
  • injectinject Member Posts: 1
    I need any and all help with my ranger V8 conversion.I have a 96 ford ranger im trying to put a 97 Explorer
    302 in it.Im running into clearace issues putting the engine in.I bought different motor mounts for a mustang cov.
    I also have the double sump oil pan off a mustang.Im using the mountaineer tranny with transfer case.
    I origanally wanted to use the transfer case that I took off but it uses 5 bolts to bolt to the tranny.
    so i had to use the mountaineer transfer case that is four wheel drive all the time :(.Im still not having sucsess
    matching the engine with the motor mounts i bought.Any feedback is appreciated
  • rregardlessrregardless Member Posts: 1
    Can a 4A-GZE engine from a corolla fit into at 91 toyota tercel?
  • mpm55mpm55 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1988 trooper and I wanted to swap the 2.6 v4 for something more powerful, perhaps a 3.2 V6. i wwas wondering what would mate with the current transmission it already has in it. would putting a3.2 require ALOT of remodeling of the engine mounting brakets and what not? any ideas? thoughts appriciated, thank you.
  • markhudmarkhud Member Posts: 3
    I always assumed that replacing an inline-4 with a V6 would be harder to swap than just another inline-4.

I feel for you since my inline-4 trooper is dog slow also. I'm thinking about an engine rebuild and new carburetor to pep it up.
  • l0stl0st Member Posts: 2
    I have a '01 gmc jimmy I want to know if a 4.2l I6 will fit. Will I have to buy a new computer for it? Is it the same wiring from a trailblazer/envoy? Will I have to do big modifications for it?
  • l0stl0st Member Posts: 2
    The 4.2l is from my buddy's trailblazer, it can rear end and the insurance claim it's salvage but the engine is good with 55k
  • 724nova724nova Member Posts: 2
    I am building a 72 nova in which I am planning on installing a 5.7 litre vortec out of a 97 silverado. I have the entire truck, so I plan on using the 460le transmission and the computer. Any suggestions on making this as painless as possible?
  • jeep_drifter1jeep_drifter1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1993 Cherokee with a auto in it with the 4.0 high output 6. i also have a 1990 Cherokee with a auto and the 4.0 inline 6. but not the high output its got the old computer in it. what i want to know is i want to put the motor from the 93 into the 90 will the computer harness from the 93 plug into the firewall and work in the 90 Cherokee? so basically i need to know can i put a motor and computer from a 93 into 90 jeep and just plug and play?
  • hillmanbillyhillmanbilly Member Posts: 13
    As the title says, I'm thinking about putting a new motor in an older chassis. I'm sure custom motor mounts would have to be made, right? Does anyone make new mounts to weld on?

And what about the trans? I'm assuming the bell housing's are different.

Anyone got any nuggets of wisdom for me?

TIA-
    Really? No help here? Didn't get any love on my Dodge van problems either. With as huge as this site is, there's gotta be some knowledgable folks on here that don't mind helping out...

Thanks-
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking over in Edmunds Answers. It gets a different crowd.
    cool. thanks, steve.
  • morrisonmanmorrisonman Member Posts: 2
    It really wouldn't be worth the motor swap if you want a single overhead cam motor realistically an integra isn't the car to look to. They had an entirely dohc engine line-up and it would really be kind of pointless to do the modifications to drop in a sohc engine from a civic or something similar. The stock nonvtec hp or an integra is more than any vtec sohc motor they make, honestly if you want a solid chassis for racing look into a 90-96 civic hatchback. the 90-93 versions or ef chassis are very light, easily modded and almost any d-series sohc motor is a direct drop in. I've seen them as high as 11 second cars on a sohc vtec motor due to the weight of the car.