Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine Swaps

Comments

• porschevyporschevy Member Posts: 9
    Well, the 928 is supposed to handle a 1000 horse straight from the factory. When my car was built (it's an 82' Euro) it was delivered with 300 hp. MOst were around 240 to 350 depending on year and trim. The chevy motor minus the blower is actually 200 pounds lighter than the stock 928 motor, with the blower I am basically spot on. The main problem with the stock 928 is they don't accelerate as fast as one would hope. They are sickening quick when accelrating from 50 on, but typically 0-60's aren't that impressive. I just g-timed the car this weekend, and with about 150 ft of tire tracks (not alot of grip with the Kumhos) I managed a 0-60 in 4.2 (this is the yellow car). I will be picking up some sort of drag radials and hope to get in the mid to high 3's. Will find out sooner or later. As far as braking, thankfully I havent had a problem yet, but I'm not exactly racing it all the time either. Its just nice to know that the power is there if I ever need it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well a stock 928 S4 will do 165 mph and with a good sharp driver 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. This is fast enough for street work I think and isn't begging for an engine swap.

But an older 928 isn't that fast off the line, that's true, maybe a mid to high 6 second car. So an engine swap is tempting if the stock engine is ailing.

But the stock 928 engine will run hard all day long and usually if you can't outrun some cars you can just put the needle in the red zone and outlast 'em. 928 engines are very strong but alas, sooooooo expensive to fix.
  • porschevyporschevy Member Posts: 9
    Yeah, the Porsche is ALMOST bullet proof, but there are always those circumstances where something may go wrong, and as you know and say, very expensive to fix. The motor as I have it set up is extremely streetable, can run all day long, of course I am not running that much boost. I wish I was mechanically inclined enough to setup the engine, but I'm not, and this was a learning experience for my mechanic so last summer I ended up going through three complete overhauls, with the final one being a replacement of literally everything below the blower. Of course top speed is all about gearing and horse, and my gearing is the same, horsepower is just doubled, so I should top out around 190 or so.

If you guys are ever in the Minneapolis area, I would love to take you for a ride so you can feel the difference between this and stock.
    I'd LOVE to do that, but I'm not going 190 with you unless you show me your creds--LOL!
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    I'll no longer be a part of the Edmunds "family" - I wish everyone the best, as I've made several good friends here - those good friends have contact info for me. I've enjoyed what Edmunds has done for me through very trying personal times, including my son's cancer diagnosis, the loss of both my parents, and my sister's recent death. That, and putting up with 42 lawyers on a daily basis.

Good luck, friends, and Godspeed.
  • jheldjheld Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for anyone who has swapped a 996 engine into a Boxter.
    I think he'd have to be a good welder but I'll check on the feasibility for you. the 996 isn't a great engine, you might want to have someone think twice about this.
  • bznyabznya Member Posts: 4
    hi, i was wondering how this swap went,im looking at doing a rb26dett with a 6 spd into my 240z and was just wondering how it went for you?
    thanks
    bznya
    just looking for some info on a swap into my 240z ,has anybody done this ? or heard of it?
  • johnstonjohnston Member Posts: 1
    I am putting a 1.8 mitsubishi motor in a 94 eagle talon that had a 2.0 in it. Will the computer handle this??
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I've heard of a few RB25DET swaps into the old Zs, but the full GT-R motor and the six-gun would require even more work than those. Not a project for the faint-hearted.
    thanks,yeah figured it would be a task but this motor! and a six speed would make a nice rocket,did you beef up your frame rails or conect the front to the back?
  • pfootpfoot Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if any of the late model (computer-controlled) Dodge automatics share the bellhousing bolt pattern with the 426? :confuse:
  • 97jettapimp97jettapimp Member Posts: 1
    whats up i have had my jetta for about a week it is fast but not fast enough any web sit ideas to help.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    You can try this, but weight and balance might be a problem.

Failing that, I'm fairly certain Neuspeed offers a supercharger package for the 2.0 (which is what I'd guessing you have in your Jetta.) I'm guessing that might be a money issue, though, since apparently you can't afford punctuation marks. I think maybe just starting with the basics...a proper tuneup, maybe a K&N filter, a freer-flowing exhaust, the realization that '97 Jettas are slow by nature, that sort of thing, might help.
  • horsey23horsey23 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 1990 integra rs that needs a new engine. I was wondering if anyone knows the engine #, b? i think,also is there any other car that has an engine that will fit in, maybe honda? Thanks for any help.
    T
  • josh8josh8 Member Posts: 1
    can i put a vtec in a 97 dodge neon
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    You probably can, but you may have to change/modify some of the following:

Wiring harness
    Engine management computers
    Motor mounts
    If you plan on using a VTEC with a Neon transmission, you may have to fabricate a custom bell housing to attach the engine to the transmission (the easier way to go would be to get the VTEC engine and transmission as a unit)

...and the list goes on and on.

It's not impossible - but it is potentially a very expensive and time consuming task. On top of all that, you should expect to be without your car for a few months..
  • z24blacknblackz24blacknblack Member Posts: 3
    I recently picked up a 2002 Z24 2dr coupe and am looking to swap a bigger engine in her and go from there. Im lookin for any advice or comments.
  • bazalbazal Member Posts: 1
    i have recently bought a 1995 vr6 highline and have just found out that the engine is finished. so i need to get my hands on a new engine. if any one knows of one please let me know. i live in manchester. but i will travel if needs must.thanks
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    ...according to Google Maps, there are Manchesters in:

Alabama
    California
    Connecticut
    Georgia
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    New York
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington
    Wisconsin

Not to mention the Manchester that started it all, in the United Kingdom. You're going to have to be a bit more specific, I think.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My bet's on the original, which would explain why no other info was listed.

Steve, Host
  • 3499guy3499guy Member Posts: 3
    I want to build a golf VR6 engine to put out around 500hp. I am wondering where to start, what parts to buy, what problems I can expect when shooting for this much hp? I realize it wont be inexpensive thats why I need some direction before dumping a ton of money into somthing.I want this to be a race car so any mods I need to make to the body/interior is fine with me.
    Well I can tell you right off for that much HP (and I'm not sure it's even possible for that VW driveline, but I guess so if you throw enough money at it)...anyway...for that much HP you are going to have to rebuild and drastically strengthen the engine. I would expect a minimum of new pistons, special rods and much stronger engine studs to hold the heads. You'll also be using turbo or supercharging. Maybe even a rebore and nitrous.

500HP is going to be extremely expensive, and really you then need to work on the suspension and brakes and certainly your transmission and axles or you'll be driving a death trap--to say nothing of a car that will tear its own guts out.

Also I'm not sure what class of VW race car needs this much power. HP can get in your way, too, since you'll have a lot of trouble putting that power on the ground.

I think you need to define your goals first about racing--you may find that you are choosing the wrong car for the job, or if it's the right car, that you are building it all wrong.

Last of all, unless you are talking about drag racing, you'll need some awesome driving skills to push a 500HP car around a track safely.
    As you can tell I'm totally new at this whole high performance upgrading thing. I've done bodywork most of my life and not much mechanical so I need all the advice I can get. I guess I'm just looking for a VR6 that would be a ton of fun to drive not necessarily 500 hp. Maybe an older VR6 that needs some bodywork and paintwork.Can a guy supercharge a VR6? That would be cool! How much can a guy expect to spend on something like this? New suspension, brakes, rotors, tires and rims?
    Probably a really well designed, totally pro supercharger kit would cost you $3,500 on up to $5K, presuming you did the labor yourself, and figure another $3,000 for some suspension and brake goodies. I don't know whether the VW driveline would handle the say extra 30%-40% increase in HP you'd get from a blower but at the very least you'd need a heavier clutch. I'd say you could build a fairly ferocious VR6 in a good handling Golf for maybe $10,000. I'm sure somebody already racing a Golf could give you loads of info...but again, it depends on what kind of racing you want to do, whether SCCA, auto X, drags, rallye, etc.
    thanx for the advice
  • eddie2310eddie2310 Member Posts: 7
    You are better off to drop in a 6speed SR20DET into it. (from an S15 Silvia)
    The engine is alot lighter and cheaper so you will have more money to spend on mods. The RB26DETTs tranny is AWD so you will have to use a 5 Speed Tranny from a RB25DET (single turbo skyline GT-S) (the S15 has the same HP as the GT-S skyline and its only a 4banger) The Skyline drift cars and Z drift cars use the SR20DET engine in them because they can make loads of power with little mods plus are light weight.
    Try getting a B16A engine for it, it has more power and should drop in with little mods. or just get a newer integra engine from a GS or RS they are 1.8Ls with enough power to get around town.
    I dont see why it wouldnt work but why dont u just get an old 4G63 engine for it they are about a grand and have well over 200hp w'stock boost.
    If you have the 2.4L engine then get rid of it, and drop a 2.2L ecotec in.
    its already bullet proofed so you can give it a nice turbo, plus the tranny can handle over 400hp.( the 2.4L gm tranny can only handle about 200hp)
    I have seen one Z24 with a GM V6 in it at a car show but Im not sure what type it was.
  • merk5merk5 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 87 camaro with a 2.8L EFI engine with a 5 speed manual trans, and want to switch to a 5.0L or even a 5.7L. I also would like to keep my 5 speed. What conversions are necessary and where can I get an adaptor kit (if available)
    Thanks,
    Merk5
  • merk5merk5 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Shifty is out appraising car collections or something this week. Stay tuned...

Steve, Host
    You might talk to people who regularly modify Camaros, like these folks:

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/home_page

Sometimes one phone call leads to another source and before you know it, you have a good idea of what's involved.

Personally, and just speaking for myself, I think this is going to be an enormous amount of work, especially if you want to use an injected, computer controlled motor. If you want to go to a carbed crate motor you will still need most of a donor V8 car so you can pick parts off it for the conversion. I think you'll also need a new transmission and you'll have to re-spring the car, as your V-8 motor will be heavier than your old V6.

I really think you should just go out and buy a V8 Camaro, and take your time shopping for a good one. You'll never recover your investment in time and money converting an 80s V6 to the V8. It's definitely not a "drop in" type of job.
    hi, thanks for the info i was wondering what i was going to do about the tranny,the wonders of ebay,thanks again
  • pakalikapakalika Member Posts: 2
    Ok i have a question, im getting a civic and i have alot of work im planning on doing. The one thing is the motor but i just want to know the benifits of swapping out the old motor and rebuilding a accord v6 motor from the ground up? is it worth it or is there something better i could do cause this motor will get done right.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Ok i have a question, im getting a civic and i have alot of work im planning on doing. The one thing is the motor but i just want to know the benifits of swapping out the old motor and rebuilding a accord v6 motor from the ground up? is it worth it or is there something better i could do cause this motor will get done right.

If you do sucessfully shoe horn a V6 in there, you will be the first one to do that. Good luck with the weight bias!

You might want to try a smaller but potent B16 from Si, B18 from Integra, or H22 from Prelude.

What year and model of the Civic are you getting that you plan on putting V6 in? Why stop at V6, how about ole 350 V8?
  • pakalikapakalika Member Posts: 2
    ok its gonnan be a 94 civic dx or a 99 civic si but i dont know yet and yeah i thought of something like that but i didnt know what i wanted to do cause im still torn between this car and my camaro.
  • bmw85bmw85 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard of a chev or ford engine swap into a 1985 bmw 320i? A swap kit??
    How about a intake manifold for a carb. to replace the fuel inj??
  • bogey2bogey2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm putting a 95 Dodge Dakota engine in my 92 Dodge Dakota what wiring harness should I use 95 or 92? and what other problems will I find? :confuse:
    You'll probably have to use the '95 harness and computer. I don't see how you can avoid this. You have a job on your hands, too. Always use everything from the donor vehicle in an engine swap unless of course they are identical cars. Even then....
  • ponypowerponypower Member Posts: 2
    has anyone swapped a 350 in to a hyundai pony before if so can u give me sum pointers please
  • 99sonoma99sonoma Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone, im new here and have a quick question...has anyone ever taken a 3800 motor from a newer (90+) car and put it in a rear wheel drive car? If so how much did it involve?

thanks
    Here's a guy that is putting one in a Toyota truck. He also gives you an idea of costs and labor involved.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/buick_v6_swap.html
  • 99sonoma99sonoma Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply...the 3800 im talking about though is the SFI series I out of a 92 Pontiac though, but i think the trans's may still bolt up to both so ill use some of that advice i think. Thanks for your help!
    How about an LS67? (Did I get that # right? The SC engine?)
  • cavyracingcavyracing Member Posts: 2
    i was just wondering if it was possible to use the new 2.0 supercharged ecotec from the new chevy cobalt ss model and put it in a 97 chevy cavalier , thanks
  • greg48336greg48336 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1985 Camaro with a 2.8L V6 and 4-speeed automatic. I would like to replace the engine and transmission with a 5.0L V8 and TH350 from a 1976 Camaro that I also have. I know I can purchase a B&M conversion kit for mounting the transmission.

What other issues will I encounter? I know the radiator and supports will have to be obtained for use with a V8, but I don't know the differences between the 305 V8 from 1976 versus 1985. Which car should I use the power steering pump from? How about the belt driven versus electric fan for the cooling? Also, the 1976 car does not have A/C, and I am debating whether or not to remove it from the 1985 car also.

The 1976 engine has a mechanical fuel pump, but I believe the newer ones had electric pumps back in the tank. Can the electric pump feed the mechanical one?

Also, the emission equipment will be totally removed. What about the computer in the 1985 car?
    Well this is going to be a lot of work, and since I don't think many people have done this, you should really search out a "pioneer" who has gone before you and ask them what they ran into.

One snag I can think of is that your car will be totally illegal regarding your state's emissions laws. You aren't allowed to "downgrade" a car by installing an older engine, and you '85 falls under all '85 laws, not '76 laws.

I think you're pretty much stuck with using the accessories off the '85 but I doubt everything is going to bolt up to the '76 block so you'll be doing a lot of fabricating on this job.

ANY engine can be put in ANY car with time and money.

I'm wondering if you wouldn't really be better off finding an '85 V-8 car and building it up to the way you like it.