Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

FORD F-150 SUPERCAB BUYERS - II

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited April 2014 in Ford
This topic is a continuation of Topic 761....

RECENT FORD F-150 SUPERCAB BUYERS. Please
continue these discussions here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• seacrowseacrow Member Posts: 22
    The one with the lid is the ashtray and it should be removable. The cupholders are much better with the captains chairs option.
  • delcamdelcam Member Posts: 9
    Seacrow,

Since I don't smoke, missed that one. Are you serious about it being an ashtray? Very small, and if it does not come out you'd need a shop vac to clean it. Well, if that is the case, I guess the mystery is solved.

The center fold down console cup holders are nice as well.

Steve
  • seacrowseacrow Member Posts: 22
    The pre-2000 cupholder in the fold-down armrest is a single as opposed to a double. It sucks. The double came out mid-year 2000 with a redesigned armrest.

Next time I will get captains chairs. I have learned my lesson.
  • floridasquish1floridasquish1 Member Posts: 6
    Yesterday I went out to test drive both a 2000 Tundra 4x2 Limited and a 2000 Ford F150 4x2 Lariat with 5.4L V8. Both trucks were quite similar and awesome. For this test-drive they both handled equally well. I think the Tundra’s ponies were a little livelier off a stop than the F150. Did I miss something or does the Tundra sound system indeed have only a volume control and NO bass, treble or balance controls? I noticed that the Ford’s bed seemed to be deeper than the Tundra’s. But the Tundra did have fog lamps whereas the F150 did not in the 4x2 version. I liked the Ford’s gimmicky overhead console with compass and outside temperature. I live in hot and humid central Florida (where summers are 6-months long) and both trucks’ A/C’s nearly put icicles on my eyebrows. Ford offered me invoice + 100 dollars on any in-stock F150 at any time. Toyota offered $1000 under invoice only if I drove the truck off the lot NOW. I guess I blew that one but I hadn’t driven the Ford yet. I believe I can still get a Tundra for invoice + 100. So help me out. What do I do? Flip a coin? They’re both great trucks.
  • page62page62 Member Posts: 30
    I had to make the same choice. I chose the F150. Why? For starters, the Toyota dealer treated me like dirt, "Take it or leave it." The Ford dealer was pleasant and low-key.

Also, the Ford was a hands-down better value. I got a loaded F150 (just below Lariat -- didn't want leather) for about $1500 below the price a minimal option Tundra. (And don't get me started on the Toyota's stereo.)

The F150 is also much roomier inside than the Tundra. I didn't have anywhere comfortable to stick my left arm in the Toyota. In the Ford, I can rest it on the armrest or windowsill. And the Ford is bigger overall (bigger is better in an accident -- and we've got some MEAN freeways).

It's been over 6 trouble-free months with the Ford. I have no regrets.

But what I guess really clinched the deal is that I had a pair of excellent Pioneer speakers that would fit in the Ford but not the Toy. :):):)
  • branham1branham1 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about ordering a package with the above combination. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has the same combo and how it works. I guess I'm mainly concerned about the effects on Gas-mileage and performance. Was the upgrade worth it? It would be much less expensive for a 4.6 and 3.03 axle. I would be hacked if I paid for the upgrades and didn't receive much benefit. thanks-Hootie
    Thanks Page for your input. I too noticed that the F150 was roomier. And I'm glad to hear that your Ford is trouble-free thus far. I think it's great to have a choice between two very nice trucks. God I love this country!
  • f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    I will start by saying that I don't think the Tundra is a "bad" truck. There just isn't "enough" truck for my money. Too much standard equipment on the Fords that are options on the Tundra and also more total options and capabilities available on the Fords that you can't even get on a Tundra.
    I have a loaded F150 with 5.4l and paid well under invoice on it. When talking with the Toyota dealer, a "Limited" Tundra, which "was" quite "limited" was about 3,000 more than a F150 with way more equipment, heavier, bigger, etc. I just couldn't see why anyone would pay more for a smaller truck with less equipment. I guess they have their market. There are some on the road, but they will never reach the demand of any of the American made trucks as long as they keep delivering based on the less for more principle.

I have always owned Ford trucks and never had major problems with the trucks or with Ford. Am I lucky? Maybe, I don't know. I say stick with what works, not necessarily the latest trend. I wouldn't trade my Ford for 2 Chevy's, a 4 Dodges, or a dozen Tundra's. Just nothing better than my Ford for me.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I've got a 99 F250 4x4 XLT supercab light duty truck(light duty same front and body style as 150 with 3/4 ton capabilities and heavier towing loads 8300lbs)with the 5.4 and 3.73 lmited slip.I've added a superchip,K&N fipk kit and a gibson split rear exhaust system.The best milage I've ever gotten was 23 mpg on the highway I probably avreage around 15 to 18 in the city stop and go traffic.The truck flat out hauls and would probably beat any other truck other than lightning in street racing, btw I traded a 99 lightning for this truck that is the ultimate in performance.The only problem I ever have is spinning my tires a little to much gas on acceleration and I'm smoking up my tires.
    The truck listed for $32,000 got it to $26,000 added about $650 in mods.Don't think you can even get a Tundra loaded like mine for close to that price.
    I KNOW you can't get a loaded Tundra for less than that. Although, it seems that the Tundra's turnout in sales hasn't come close to the projected so Toyota may start giving them away to circulate the models (meaning huge incentives and rebates). Even still, if you bought one, you wouldn't have as capable of a truck as the Ford.
    They are already discounting them up here in Boston and have even seen a lot of used 2000's for sale.Like I posted a few times already Toyota already screwed themselves with an overpriced Tacoma now what do they do? They lower the Tundra price to much and they lose Tacoma sales to the Tundra,They'll have to lower pricing on both trucks and come up with a new strategy or maybe a real full sized truck.
  • gregntx2gregntx2 Member Posts: 5
    I've narrowed it down to these two trucks. I really like the F150 best but lean towards the Tundra mainly because of Toyota's good record of reliability. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    Did you really mean "Supercrew" (the 4 full-sized doors Ford F-150)? Or did you mean the "Supercab" (the F-150 more comparable to the Tundra "Access Cab" in interior space)? Well actually, even the F-150 Supercab has more interior space than the Tundra Access Cab. You'll find a significant difference in price between the two different F-150 models and probably in availability too.
    You will pay premium dollar for that 1970-1980's era myth. Just read the topics here and several other boards. Tundras, with not even 100k units on the road (about 1/10th of American trucks), have plenty of reported problems. If your only reason for considering a Tundra over an F150 is the Toyota quality myth, you will be very disappointed.

Tundras are not a bad truck, but you get much less for your money and they still have problems like any other truck.
    If you are assuming the Tundra is more reliable think twice about that,it is having its share of problems like any other vehicle.It also shares a lot of the same parts as the Tacoma which in the long run won't hold up on a fullsize truck.
  • gregntx2gregntx2 Member Posts: 5
    I'm calling my Ford dealer now. Thanks for your recommendations.
    If you plan on buying a Ford you picked a good time,there having a rebate $1000 I think, and there's low financing rates.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    because the Tundra seats are too close to the floor. The F-150 is also much more comfortable for the driver than the Chevy Silverado. The local
    Chevy dealer bought a new F-150 Supercab last year
    and had it next to the Silverado extended cab for comparison. I asked the salesman why they did that because I (who owned only Chevy Astro and Pickup at the time) felt the Ford was by far more comfortable for the driver and front passengers
    At the big auto show we sat in all vehicles and the Ford F-150 was winner in front seat comfort for pickups with no serious competition.
  • noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    I guess everyone is over at F150online.com.

Anyway.....

Any one here have any experiences with the "piston slap" issue in the Windsor-build motor?

How about the cracks/rust on their doors?

I have neither in my '99 5.4 XLT SuperCab, but I've only had it a couple of weeks. It's been too warm to really listen for the knock.

Lets get some discussion going!

Greg
    '96 Triumph Thunderbird
    '99 Ford F150 5.4 XLT
    '00 Lincoln LS8
    Wichita
    I wouldn't worry about the piston slap or door cracks. Ford stands behind their product. If your truck gets them, they will replace the engine or the doors. I have not heard anyone that did not get Ford to take care of either of those two complaints.

I guess I am lucky. I havn't ever had any major complaints with my Fords. Even the petty things, Ford and it's dealers have taken care of without hassle.

Only 2% of all Ford trucks sold developed the piston slap and Ford replaced the engines in those trucks. Post 2000 year trucks should not have any of those engines. If they do, Ford will replace with new engine.

As far as door cracks. I still havn't seen or known anyone that had them. Again, probably a very small percentage of owners.
    I bought my '99 used with 30K on the odometer.

It's just about out of warranty and is just a little over a year and a half old!.

I can see where the door arcs out when you roll the window all the way up, and can understand how that would cause cracks.

Can't tell yet if my engine knocks, because it's been too warm in the morning, and the truck has new oil in it. I sure don't want any problems as I am the second owner, and it it nearing end of warranty. I'll never get it fixed if it shows up after 36 K miles.

I've had experiences in the past with Ford warranty work at just 400 miles outside of warranty (key switch on a 94 Mark VIII) and I had to pay. They asked if I bought it new, and I said no, so they say "pay up."

I shall watch it closely. There are TSB's (or special service bulletins) on both subjects.

Greg
    Wichita
    Do you plan on doing any mods to your truck? I've done a few and performance has gone up a lot especially with the Superchip.
  • gryphon627gryphon627 Member Posts: 2
    It looks great. It drives great and feels like it is made just for me. I love the F150 XLT Lariat supercab but...my palms get sweaty when I consider making such a large investment in a Ford. Do I have ...FORD PHOBIA???

Maybe...when you have been a GM customer all your life and you take a chance on a Ford Taurus LX, touted to be the best-seller and an offering of high quality, then have the entire thing self destruct 2000 miles out of warranty...hmmm..perhaps there is such an animal..

First the instrument gauge went berserk. The service manager told me it was because Ford had some errors in how the gauges were manufactured but the dealer would not help. $300 repair bill and much anguish. Then as soon as I get it back, the climate control goes out. $650, a new compressor and lines, much labor, and a cardiac arrest later, still no help from the dealer. Then, I get a letter from Ford stating my model is likely to have a blown head gasket very easily. A few weeks later..POOF blown headgasket. Although the work was no charge, the dealer was uncooperative and I was without wheels for about four days. Nothing else can go wrong right? Wrong. A month later I get another letter from Ford stating that the engine supports in my model had been found to prematurely wear and break, dropping the engine out while driving...

I kicked that sucker to the curb and traded it in on an Oldsmobile. No Ford have I purchased since until now. So folks tell me...is it better with trucks? Should I give Ford another try?????
  • sophie21sophie21 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get valid towing information for the f150? I'm interested in V8 vs V6 and manual vs auto transmission. The dealer is telling me that the manual v6 has a greater towing capacity than the manual v8. I find that hard to believe. He also said that the auto transmission can tow almost twice as much as the manual. I want to buy a F150 s/c xlt soon for my ranch and I need to be able to tow a cattle trailer. If I can do that with a v6 manual i will as it will be less expensive.
    Barlitz:

I don't plan on doing any performance enhancing mods on my F150. When the air filter needs replacing, I will put in a K&N, and I may try to fit a different muffler (like the one on the Lightning), but that would be all. Maybe, just Maybe, a TransGo shift kit to try to make the tranny last a little longer.

I did the Superchip on my Lincoln Mark VIII and was upset that it helped ruin my 4R70W transmission (93-96 Marks had inferior internals for a 300 HP car). Also, I like running regular gas.

After all...it's a PickUp, not a Mustang.

sophie21:

I test drove a V6 F150 prior to purchasing my 5.4 liter '99. There is no substitute for cubic inches. We had a V6 Mazda MPV and drove it to Vegas from Kansas. Hated it. It would not stay in 4th gear when bucking a headwind. The F150 is a big heavy truck and needs at least a 4.6 V8 for normal driving just to feel like you have a motor, not a wound up rubber band.

For towing livestock, you will probably be very unhappy with the V6. Get the V8, and I'd get the big one, the 5.4. Towing capacity of a vehicle takes into account many things: brakes, transmission, radiator, springs and shocks, and the motor. The capacity of a vehicle to tow is not just measured by the engine size.

It's possible to configure a V6 to tow more than a V10, if you put all the towing packages on the V6 and not the V10. It will run in a lower gear (third) on the hiway, and shift into second on hills or into the wind. They make more than 200 HP, but they make it up high above 4000 RPM. This relates to more engine wear, and much more fuel consumption.

The big motors, like the 5.4, make their HP and more importantly their torque down low. The 5.4 makes most of it's torque at 2000 rpm, which is 70 MPH with a 3.55 rear gear. This means you can tool on down the hiway at 70MPH and your truck will not be working terribly hard to try to keep up.

Beter gas mileage and longer engine life result.

I couldn't afford a new 5.4 XLT, nor a big engine Chevy or GMC, so I kept looking for a nearly new model and found a used '99 with 30,000 miles. Not really a bargain a $19k but better than $28k.

Get the 5.4 liter, with the trailer tow package (trans cooler, 3.55 rear with limited slip, and Class III receiver hitch) and you will not cuss the power to pull your livestock trailer.

gryphone627:

Any modern auto manufacturer will have problems. My experience with GM ended with the third in a row poorly built and unreliable vehicle. I had a 75 Camaro that squeeked and squaked, 79 Malibu Classic V6 that was junk, then a 84 GMC s-15 pickup that came with two recalls in the glove box and coupons for two more!

My recent experience with Ford products bought new was great. A '94 Crown Vic was flawless till I traded it after 4 years and 40K miles. My '94 Ford Ranger 4 banger 4X4 also was flawless for 5 years. My new '00 Lincoln LS has some fit and finish problems, and a recall on a hose in the gas tank, but sure is a nice car. My "new" used F150 has perfect fit and finish, and may or may not have a defective engine (piston slap or cold engine knock) and the doors may or may not crack. My Mk8 was a Mustang in Lincoln dress. Fast and luxurious. Lots of stuff to break and go wrong, but it never really needed lots of work. Just the transmission at 65,000 miles.

But still I prefer the ergonomics, looks, and overall quality of the Ford name than GM. Visit the GM and other makers boards here at town hall, and you'll see they all have similar problems and complaints.

Finally, most folks that are happy, keep their mouth shut. Forums like these are a place for peply to vent their frustrations and anger. Happy folks may visit here, but usually just lurk, once in a while they post their good experiences, but the folks who feel burned or hurt will really sound off.

Some folks get cars that need lots of work, others get cars that never need a thing. Life is like a box of chocolates....

Greg
    '96 Triumph Thunderbird
    '99 F150 SC XLT 5.4
    '00 Lincoln LS8
    gryphon627: A planned minivan purchase has kept me participating in those topics here at Edmunds for over a year now. I knew that there were a lot of Ford Windstar haters over there, mostly folks with some very bad experiences both in engine/transmission problems and in bad responses to those problems from Ford. My personal experience has left me unimpressed with Ford fit and finish in general.

So, when we began contemplating a pickup purchase and being most attracted to the Ford styling, I went straight to the "versus" topics here. I figured that any strong negatives about the Ford pickups would be hashed, rehashed and re-rehashed ad nauseum by the proponents of the competing models. Much to my surprise, I found very little criticism of the F-series pickups and even fewer complaints relating to their quality. Maybe I am naive, but if the vociferous defenders of the competition cannot find anything much bad to say, the Ford pickups must be pretty darn good indeed!

We bought a leftover but new on the lot (47 miles on it) 1999 F-150 Supercab XLT 4.6L, 3.55, 16 inch aluminum wheels with General OWL tires, Toreador Red conversion (meaning they added front-side window tinting, running boards, wide gold lower trim stripe, fender flares, front "spoiler", fog lights -- actually driving lights, bed liner, and a Sony CD stereo). We have only bought the locks (wheels, spare and gas cap) and our Eurolid hard tonneau cover comes in this week. With only 1300 miles or so on the truck, we cannot give first hand confirmation of durability, but we love it so far and have found nothing whatever to complain about.

IMHO you can relax and make your purchase. Good luck!
    we paid $21,500 + TTL.
    There is no way to completely eliminate the risk of having problems with ANY vehicle. Just because you had an unfortunate experience doesn't make Fords a bad product. Never had any major problems with the many Fords I have owned.

Buy a Ford...Don't buy a Ford, it doesn't matter. You won't find a truck with any less likely hood of having problems so buy what you like best.
  • jambojambo Member Posts: 28
    On paper your Ford deal stinks at any discount. Your resale value is bad. The story telling is way out there i like the F250 above that claims speed with a 5.4 engine??? like the rear end is going to help?
  • jambojambo Member Posts: 28
    There is nothing wrong with buying a truck that is a little less expensive with less value.
    " There is nothing wrong with buying a truck that
    is a little less expensive with less value. "

Well I agree that you bought less truck and paid more money for it. What does that have to do with the F150? You keep saying bad things about the F150, at the same time you belittle the truck you have. After all, Toyota "tried" to cheat and copy the best selling truck for the last 22 years (Ford), but Ford caught them stealing and put them in their place. That is why the Tundra is so much less truck and more dollar. Toyota has been that way since they started. Since they couldn't steal the F150 design and claim it as theirs, they ended up with another Tacoma sized truck with full size envy.

Maybe the Tundra will at least be a little bigger in future years. It will probably always have cheap and uncomfortable interior, but at least maybe someday they will actually make it full size.
  • tony446tony446 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned several pickup trucks, both Chevy/GMC and Fords. I owned a 96, Ford, XLT, auto, 5.0, and I think that was probably one of the best pickups I ever owned. With the exception of the doors and panels. As far as the engine and transmission, nobody made a better truck in my opinion. In Jan. of 2000, I bought my new XLT, SC, 4.6. The jury is still out, since I only have 7000 miles on this truck, but no complaints so far. I was raised being told that Ford was junk. Well, I'm a Ford person now. I think they make a good product and are less expensive then GM products, which I have had my share of problems with.
    If I had listened to all the bad talk of Fords when I started driving, I wouldn't have had the benefit of 20 years of great Ford driving experience. I didn't listen to all the lies and used my own jusdgment.

I am glad I did. Until proven otherwise, Ford is #1 for me.
  • gryphon627gryphon627 Member Posts: 2
    Well, everyone, I did it.

I confronted my inner fear of buying a Ford and have thrown caution to the wind; torpedos be damned, full speed ahead!!!

My F150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 so far has gotten many compliments on its styling...I like the feel, fit and finish of the interior..this truck gets better gas mileage than my other car, an Olds Aurora! Given, my glee is cautiously muted, with the dark cloud of my prior experience with Ford quality and service looming (I try to stay alert looking for old man Murphy), but so far I am happily motoring along. Great torque, even with the 4.6L, ample towing power, nice amenities, and a better handling feel than what you would expect from a truck like this. My only gripes are nit-picky (one example is that even though this thing has a CD changer the stereo sounds tinny and cheap). Also I got a little down the first day after losing count of how many F150's I ran across on the road that were just like mine, but like I said before, how can all these people be wrong??

The jury is still out, but with the price of these behemoths becoming more and more stratospheric every model year, the Ford appears to be one of the best values on the truck market. Keeping fingers crossed, I will report back in about 10,000 more miles..lol!
    The piston problem is resolved in 2000 and very few people ever had the door cracks to begin with. As always, Ford has publicly taken ownership and acknowledgement of these problems and is making all trucks right by replacing engines and doors.

Compared to the competition, these two things are extremely minor. Even the piston slap doesn't produce any longevity or performance issues, only an annoyance.
    I will let you know after I contact my local dealer. If they at least say something to the effect the they know about the piston slap, I will be happy. In my experience, they will look at me like I've just discovered the very first case of this concern, and tell me repeatedly that they don't know of any other trucks with the same problem.

Also, I've started looking at every F150 I walk by and so far I've counted 22 with cracks and 13 without.

Mine does not have cracks now, but I'll bet you and extended warranty that they will develop.

I wonder if I buy an extended warranty it would cover door cracks.

Greg
    Wichita
    '99 F150 5.4 XLT SC
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    F150
    "As always, Ford has publicly taken ownership and
    acknowledgement of these problems.."

not necessarily. Ford is not as golden as you make them out to be. They are the same as everyone else. perfect example: faulty ignition modules put in 20 million vehicles over about a 8 year period that started fires...took 8 years to 'fess up to it after consumer protection agencies and federal boards mandated recalls. Faulty cruise control wiring modules caused several accidents, due to cruise control suddenly causing hung full throttle. Uncovered by media reports and evidence, with techincal proof that it happens, investigation by NTSB, Ford calls all of the accidents driver error.

The tire thing as of late: Ford didn't do ANYTHING, until the report came out that ALL Explorers had these bad tires.

Money drives everything, and Ford is no different. You can list all the other manufacturers problems you want, thats not my point...just becuz you've had a few good Fords doesn't mean they're the 'monks' of the auto industry. not anymore than my sparkling history of Chevrolet reliability and great dealership service means that Chevy's are invincible.

That is great if Ford is replacing engines, especially if there is no proven harm to engines. My family has a couple of '94 350's, both had cold start knock, both engines still running, getting close to 150K miles. I think its something that got blown out of proportion by new truck buyers that wanted these huge engines to act just like their 4 cylinder Hondas...
  • tmalonetmalone Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading townhall's pages, I have a 99 F-150 s.c. this is the first time I've heard about
    piston slap or door cracks please fill me in about
    the slap and where the cracks can be found!
    go to www.f150online.com and check out the message boards.
    Yeah, I guess Ford is no different than the exploding side fuel cells on Chevy and GMC trucks that GM tried hiding. It may look that way to you, but I still think Ford does a great job of taking care of issues as these. Ford owners rarely complain of Ford not backing their product. I hear of many that complain about GM and their typical brush offs like they couldn't find a problem. My Dad has been victim of that too many times. He deserves the treatment though, he continues to buy the products even after how he is treated. I would guess it could be a lot of the dealer he deals with, but their are only so many within reasonable distance and he exhausted all of those very quickly for a problem that everyone on the Internet with his model truck had the same problem with.

I sure like my Ford.
    broke down with their Windstars (circa 1995) and bad head gaskets. They irritated and forever-alienated a whole lot of customers in that fiasco.

As far as the Firestone tire problems, taking into account the recalls they did in prior years overseas, they really should have acted sooner here. Having said that, I must compliment them on the current openness and accessibility to the public on this issue. Now that they have moved on the problem, they are doing so in an unprecedented way. Last night I watched a truly historic event as Ford Chief Executive Officer Jacques Nasser himself spoke to customers about the Firestone problem and what Ford is doing about it in a national TV ad. I can't remember any other large corporation ever doing anything close to that. A good thing and a long time coming....
    All the manufacturers hesitate before acting on such things. It isn't right and I am not saying that Ford acted fast enough that they could have acted faster. What I say is that based on all manufacturers out there, Ford seems to be the best at it than the rest. Of course that is my subjective personal experience and opinion.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    exploding fuel cells? One accident in history. never proven to be the cause. It WAS however proven that NBC rigged a GM truck with explosives, and filmed side impact test with the truck exploding, just for ratings. GM got a nice settlement out of that.

My biggest complaint of the saddle tanks was that some gas stations didn't have long enough hoses to reach the far side when fueling. Major pain in the butt. the reason for them was saddle tanks gave GM trucks more inches in ground clearance.

In my work experience I seen Ford dealerships that treat you the same way you describe ALL GM. I worked for a company that had a fleet of 40 Ford and GM vehicles. Company owner had to learn the hard way to buy trucks from one particular GM dealer and one particular Ford dealer, who were competent to support him. It wasn't a corporate policy from either company.

Sorry, I just don't agree. I think my experience with several fleets with different manufacturers and different companies out weighs your experience with yourself and your dad. Not flaming, just think i've seen more.
    I just purchased an F150 4x2 supercab Lariat, 5.4L. I chose it over the Tundra convinced the F150 simply gave more truck for the dollar. Don’t even have 100 miles on it but had my first unexpected yet pleasant surprise on I-75 outside Tampa, FL. I’ve always had a heavy foot so I gassed it to pass the fellow on my left who refused to allow me to merge as I entered the expressway. Before I realized it, I was at 85 and that SOB was just a shadow in my rear view mirror. No one told me I was supposed to get this kind of passing ability. Is it because the truck is new or will I always get this kind of no-load hi-way passing performance? So far I am very happy with my F150.
    Well, we each have our own opinion. I too disagree, but can do so respectful of your opinion and choices too. Subject dropped.
  • nighthawk11nighthawk11 Member Posts: 4
    How can I tell if an F150 XLT Supercab
    is a SB or an LB model? It doesn't
    mention anything about it on the window
    sticker. If it seems like normal bed
    size, is it considered LB?
    Thanks in advance!
    It should be pretty obvious in that a Short Bed at 220.8 inches long (18.4 feet) might fit in your garage. It would fit mine only if I was willing to "kiss" the interior wall with the front bumper; a risky procedure when driving close to two tons of V8-powered truck. The Long Bed at 244.1 inches long (20.34 feet) will pretty obviously require something more like a barn for interior parking. ;-)

Personally, I've never noticed a Long Bed F-150 Supercab on any dealer's lot in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Since most, if not all, of the ones you will see will be Short Bed, then I think a Long Bed version would stand out (literally!). FWIW
  • sprgldsprgld Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 99 F150, SC, XLT, 4x4, 5.4L, ORP, tow package, 17in tires, RED. It is an amazing truck and I am very pleased. I have 2 questions for F150 folk. The axle is a 3.73 but how do I tell if it is a limited slip axle? The axle code is B6 (from the door sticker and on the VIN printout at the dealer) but the dealer could not tell if the axle was limited slip.

I think that I have decided to get a SnugTop camper top and like the Cab High XV model. It has a full glass door and this makes me a little nervous in that it may be more easily broken. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.