Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Breathe Easy: Int. & Exh. Headers + Mufflers and Pipes

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
This is the place to discuss various exhaust systems on the marketplace, what works bestin which application, and for which cars. You are also invited to post your questions or share your expertise in this area.

Comments

• toymannntoymannn Member Posts: 1
    Help.... Trying to locate a performance exhaust for a 97 V6 T100 4x4.
    Have tried several web sights .. They have nothing for these trucks.
    JARDINE discontinued the system they produced...
    PLEASE HELP
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    SEMA has a lot of aftermarket companies listed at this link. You may want to scroll through that list for possibilities.

Steve, Host
  • tiffypoo222tiffypoo222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Kia Sephia and would like to put an exhaust system on it. I would like it to have a deep rumble. I do know a few things about this subject but am having some trouble finding what I am looking for. :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I believe Flowmaster makes a muffler for you car, Series40, and Eastern Manufacturing makes a free-flow catalytic converter. You could Google for these or similar products.

You will get a nice sound but don't expect a lot of power increase for the money you spend---if you use both the new Cat and the Flowmaster, you might pick up 3-5HP or something.
  • drewnastydrewnasty Member Posts: 1
    i installed a flowmaster muffler on my s10 truck. it made it louder, then i cut the tailpipe off that left the end of the muffler. it made it louder again, is there anything else that can be done to make the exhaust even louder without buying more stuff?
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    And by the way, LOUD has no relationship to POWERFUL or FAST - just LOUD....like decals/stickers....
  • darren1darren1 Member Posts: 3
    Thinking of putting a full stainless system on my 99 accord 2ltr es v tech(including down pipe).Does anyone know if I should leave the cat on or off.
    Coz I thought the engine needed some back pressure but without it , it has none.
    Also if I leave it out will it affect the running of the Ecu and v tech system.
    You mean an exhaust with no mufflers at all? I don't think that's a good idea, no.

It's hard to know the effects unless you dyno both ways. Also you'll have to plug a couple sensors here and there, and of course you'll be totally illegal.

I think that unless you are doing something fairly radical on the OTHER end of the engine (intake, cams, etc.) that you'd be better off with a nice free-flow catalytic and a custom exhaust from the cat back. That should give you a little more HP (not much, maybe oh 4-6 HP) and a nice sound and you'll be legal and happy. Straight pipes with no muffler may indeed cost you HP and it'll make you daffy after a while listening to it on road trips.
  • golfactorgolfactor Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone added the VW factory performance exhaust to a 99-and up Golf or Jetta?

Does it really make any difference?
    Other than resale value.
    We have a very tough inspections in Maine. You can add a performance muffler but, it must be quite at idle
    The dealer has one with a lifetime warranty, but $500.00? See link.
    https://www.1stvwparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=64_80&products_id=809&PHPSESSID=- - -
    Thanks Mr shiftright for your help but am still not to sure what way to go. Heard so many stories over here in Scotland its hard to see what way to go. Theres the cat then the back box on my system so I dont know if just the back box would provide enough back pressure. As for the illegal side of things once the car has passed what we call an mot we then take the cat out leaving a straight through system with just the back box. Do you know of any Honda only sites where I could ask. Cheers Darren 1
    I don't think there's any easy answer for you. You'd have to check on a dyno to see what has happened. But I can tell you with some confidence that with an engine of the size of your car, with exhaust on or off or in the middle, it's not going to make a lot of difference and might, as you say, decrease your HP. I'd say the best solution if you don't want to dyno test and you were say racing off road, would be a well-designed free-flow back box and no cat.
  • cca05cca05 Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody installed Dynatech Headers on a Magnum that would be willing to discuss the installation. If you're thinking about installing a set, what do you know about them?
    You might shoot this question to Skip Barber Racing Schools as they run Magnums in their programs and may have breathed on them.

www.skipbarber.com

But also hang around here and we'll see if anyone has tried this. It's a pretty specific question on a new car, so you may not get a response right away.

Also, you can "google around".
  • wpu2007wpu2007 Member Posts: 1
    just by a flowmaster muffler and get custom 2.5" piping and throw on a tip. maybe u can help me out now, do the AIT sensor resistor add horsepower or waste time and is a throttle body spacer worth the time to put in. thanks
    I don't see the point of the throttle body spacer if you aren't doing intake work.

No muffler "adds" horsepower. You'd probably get the most horsepower by throwing the muffler away. But a larger throttle body with a custom intake and a free-flow exhaust, that could give you some HP.

I'm not keen on these spacers. The machining has to be really good as does the fit...anything sloppy and again you are probably going to lose HP.
  • golfactorgolfactor Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your input. And I thank you again, for your help.
    Hi Mr Shiftright Darren1 here.Am still not sure what to do but am tryin to locate a Honda mechanic over here that might be able to help (Maybe some inside info)I'll let you know the outcome if there is one.Haha.Thanks again.Darren1. P.s If you have any ideas of someone I could contact over here let me know Thanks.Darren1 !!Scotland!!
    A Honda in Scotland? Why didn't you buy a Scottish car? (Yes, they used to make them, but that was a while ago) :P
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    For all those out there that are talking about removing the CAT (using a straight pipe) and mufflers. These mods can make your car extremely LOUD. This means breaking noise ordinances and getting tickets, and you most likely will get annoyed with the noise after a while.
    We get cars with straight pipes and no mufflers that come to race all the time and they 're extremely loud. Most autocross and motorsports clubs' rules say all cars must be muffled. They will fail a car at tech inspection if there 's no muffler on a car that's racing in one of the normal car classes and not a 'race' class. A car with no muffler and no CAT is rediculously loud in any car.. which is ok if it's a trailer queen or used for racing purposes only, but if it's a street driven car or a daily driver, forget about removing these.
    Get a free flow CAT and the aftermarket exhaust you buy will come with a less restrictive muffler. Custom 2.5" pipes with no muffler and no CAT and all that are if you 're going to be racing the car or only drive it on the street to get to and from the racing events (like me) and be very easy on the throttle as to not attract cops, but even then it's pain in the neck.

Although the removal of these does add HP, there is no doubt about that, (and the back pressure stuff is a myth, to an extend. Today's exhausts & CATs are very restrictive), they are illegal in many states and if you have emissions inspection in your state or county, (or Scottland) you won't pass. In the county I live in they have no emissions inspection, but by law they have to put the car up on the lift and if they see that you have no catalytic converter on the car they immediately fail you.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • purrnakpurrnak Member Posts: 4
    Okay, so the first thing people tell me when I ask how I can improve the performance of my car is "Buy a better car"

Well I like modifying things (anything really) and when it comes to cars all I really find is crap parts if you have a crap car.

I have a 1986 Hyundai Pony (yes this is where you laugh) Anyway, I'd like to toss a new muffler on it to give it a bit more power or at least a better look.

Currently there is a tiny stock muffler that's been on there for at least 5 years on the end of it is a 4 foot long pipe that hangs out the back of my car. Don't get me wrong, it's all well mounted and I think the muffler is still in one piece and the piles coming off the engin are in pretty good condition.

So 2 questions really:

1. Can I toss on any performace muffler or am I stuck with what is made for this car, and

2. How does the tip affect .. anything and could I just weld on anything that looks good?

I've studied a bit of what a muffler does and how it works and I have a couple ideas for tip modifications to displace and distroy some of the sound so the tip isn't a big deal but I'd like to get a muffler.

~~~~
    little extra question: Is there a good forum or place where a newb like me can learn basics to modifying cars that don't have mod parts available? hehe just image a pony with a body kit?
  • joe53joe53 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an '05 Sentra Spec-V, and was looking online for a cat-back exhaust system and a cold air intake for it. It doesn't seem like I have a whole lot of options besides the over priced Nismo parts. I did find a pretty good price on a Magnaflow exhaust system of about $400. I was just wondering if anyone had any recomendations, or if one brand worked better than another with this car.
    is to visit Nissan or Sentra specific forums and talk to people that have different exhausts on their cars. Some exhausts are better than others but the only difference you 're going to notice is the sound or noise they make in the price range you mention.
    Most exhausts don't make a noticeable difference unless you pay $800-1K for one. Then you 'll be able to tell the difference. $400 doesn't sound like a lot for an exhaust. Most decent exhausts are $495-600 and the good ones like I said before are big $$! You will not get the most out of your exhaust without a header, especially since you 're getting a cold air intake. The intake will increase HP and torque, but you 'll need a header to quickly dispose of that extra air you 're bringing in to the intake manifold. A header always makes more noticeable power than an exhaust. With an exhaust alone, many cars especially 4cyls, loose some low end torque but gain some at the top end of the RPM range. The header helps restore that and even add some in the mid range, especially a 4-2-1 design, and makes better use of your aftermarket exhausts to realize even bigger gains. Think of it as one big continuous pipe. What you 're doing is making the beginning bigger, leaving the middle the same, and again enlarging the end of it. Another fact is, that you will make more power with an Intake & header alone, than with an Intake & exhaust, unless your exhaust is extremely restrictive which I don't think it is on the Spec-V (isn't your exhaust bigger to begin with than the base Sentra's?).
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • corollercoroller Member Posts: 3
    Is it bad to put a short ram intake with a heat shield on my 01 corolla s?
    You mean the type that mount on the firewall?
    i can't explain it but this is what it looks like image thats how the intake looks like and the heat shield image so is it ok to put that in my engine?
    Yeah, I think it's okay but I'm not sure how much benefit you'll get. It kind of depends on how restrictive your normal airbox is, and also if this new filter ends up anywhere near a colder air stream than usual. I believe you gain about 1 HP for every 10 degree drop in temperature, so if this filter still sits under the hood and isn't way up front and down low, it's not going to be appreciably cooler. If the idea is to ram more air into the engine rather than try to cool it, that can also work up to a point, but again, don't expect to have your head jerked off or anything by some sudden rush of horsepower---not gonna happen.

Best thing is to keep this filter clean as you can. Whether it works or not no one can say unless you actually put it on a dyno before and after. Sometimes the HP stays the same, sometimes you can gain 4-5 HP on the upper end of the rpm scale, and sometimes if the thing isn't designed very well, you'll actually lose HP.

But have fun and I hope it works out for you.
    This is what its going to look like imageimageimage
    Yeah, the kind that mounts near the firewall, that's what I thought. I've seen 'em but havent' read any tests on them. Definitely not a cold air intake but the theory is that it will force more air than the stock airbox. You'll probably get a few HP out of that, I'd guess a maximum of maybe 6-8 and it could be less.
  • sudan1sudan1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I would like to know if I can add and modify the intake and exhaust system on a 1979 450slc? If so what brand should I use and how much am I looking at?
    I don't think you'll find anything off the shelf for such an old engine as regards the intake system. Perhaps you could rig up some kind of cold air intake or short tube ram air from another car but that engine compartment is so crammed I rather doubt it.

On the exhaust side, you might look into brands like Ansa and Borla or even perhaps Flowmaster, but again, the age of this car will limit your choices. As usual, anything custom made for Mercedes will be expensive, so you might have to get creative and speak to a muffler shop. I use an Ansa on my 1980 Porsche and am quite pleased.

This is kind of a slow heavy car so I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish--perhaps better fuel mileage?
  • sudan1sudan1 Member Posts: 2
    I want to add speed and agility to this old car. I'm planning on restoring this old machine with (hopefully) some new technology. Thank you 4 your quick response.
    Well I think you should give up the idea of speed (car is too heavy and engine is too lazy) but what you can do to "go faster" is better tires and shocks and perhaps a front sway bar to firm up the ride. You'll enjoy driving it more. A freer flowing exhaust would make it sound nicer too I think.

If you want an SL that is quicker and more agile but still looks like your car, you really want a 560SL. But I think trying to make your car faster would be very expensive and very frustrating in terms of results. Some engines are just not designed in that way.
  • mattsopmattsop Member Posts: 1
    After stumbling across this site and stumbling across this post, I have to say - be proud of who you are, there are too few of us around that will admit it!
    I too am the owner of another 1986 Hyundai Pony, and I know all too well of the troubles you face when trying to go out and pimp your ride, so hold faith, because you are not alone!

In reply to your question, my 'expert' opinion would to be go ahead and giv'r. A lot of mufflers are universal fit, and built only in korea and canada still counts as universal, i suppose. You might have a bit of work fitting it to the exhaust pipe, though, I think it's something disgustingly small like 1 1/4" or something. But im acutally planning on rigging up a performance muffler on my next trip into the city, so i can keep you posted on what happens here.
    As to the tip, i dont think it makes too big of a difference, expecially on the Ponies. As long as you dont put something on meant for like drag cars that will give you no backpressure at all (although the rest of that 1 1/4 exhaust should give ample anyways) you should be fine.

But if you ever come across anything in your travels regarding getting a body kit on a pony i would love if you could send it my way - i want one so bad!

keep fighting the good fight, we're a small crowd out there - we should swap pics/tips sometime
  • purrnakpurrnak Member Posts: 4
    So I went an took an honest look at my Hyundai pony. Damn these things just won't die.

List of things wrong with it:
    1. Head gasket was "repaired" with some goo the previous owner put on it. It's needed replacing for the last 3 years.
    2. The tires are bald to the point where I have to put air in one of them daily.
    3. The shifter knob broke off my second week of driving it and replaced it with a shift knob that didn't fit right.
    4. Windows have a plastic edge that pops up and scares the hell out of me when it's warm
    5. Ball joint on the right is gone (that's the tire that needs air daily)
    6. Gas gage only works when you slam on the breaks
    7. Everything leaks. YOu name it there's a drip
    8. Back left break blew a gasket and the break fluid ate away the breaks. Now I stop with pure force at times.
    9. If you look under the hood at night with no lights you see little blue sparks everywhere... FUN! this was fixed by putting in new spark plugs and cables.

Okay getting to the point. The cars a piece of crap but it runs and it's sooo easy to tune up.

I'm doing what people told me to do. I'm buying a car on Saturday 2 days (I'm going crazy) I'm getting a car that I have loved since the first time I saw it. I test drove it last week and I fell even more in love. A 1992 Talon. Beautiful car.

I'm taking it to a garage for a full inspection so I can see where I need to put money in. I'm wondering if there are any points I should look at carefully.

So far the known issues with the talon are the timing belt (Should be replaced every 50,000 miles or less or you get hit with a $2000 job. Anything else I should know.

Last question: Anyone know a good forum specifically for this car? I want to do a lot of mods over the next few years on it and wouldn't mind a place to fall back on if I have questions. (The engine looks like a pain to work in compared to the pony, but after looking at the engine on pages for days and days, it doesn't look that bad.)
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    Actually, if your Talon has the 1.8 liter engine, a broken belt will only leave you stranded. It is not an interference engine. If you have the 2.0 liter, then you really want to stay on top of belt maintenance, as it is an interference engine.
  • anndruu12anndruu12 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an '05 VW GTI 1.8T and am looking to put an aftermarket exhaust on. I have always been into the Japanese Import Scene but am trying to get into the Euro scene. I am looking for an aftermarket exhaust of high quality and a good sound. I don't want any buzzing and a loud annoying exhaust noise. I had been looking at a few and I will post links.
    1.) http://www.stratmosphere.com/milltek_exhaust_for_vw.htm The one on there is of course the only one that fits the Golf IV.
    2.) http://www.ghlmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=GHL&Category_C- ode=vwg_t_tb
    I was looking at the 2.5 inch turbo back
    3.) http://www.eurosportacc.com/exhaust.htm
    The second on the page
    4.) http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_list.asp?app=31|G4&type=5&ltype=ns_euro
    I do not know which system there would be best for my car.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help and guidance.
    You will have even worse luck with your '92 Talon. They 're nothing but trouble once they get up over 100k mi. I know because my neighbor has one, 2 of my friends had one and my best friend owns a garage and says the old Eclipses & Talons keep him in business sometimes.

After 100k mi., you will have expensive repairs not like that older car you were talking about. You 'll have check engine lights come on, you 'll need a new tranny, new computer, electrical problems, etc. We 're talking big $$ to keep your Talon running. Good luck, you 'll need it.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • bginsberg1bginsberg1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking for ANY WAY to increase my gas mileage and I'm thinking of putting a Gibson performance muffler on my truck. From what I've read, it should increase my mpg by maybe 2-3?

Has anyone else out there done this to a similar V-8 engine and if so, can you share what, if any, benefits you're seeing now?
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    I seriously doubt an exhaust is going to raise your MPG by that much. That's, what, a 15-20% increase? I'd be surprised if there a difference you could detect at all.
    You'd have to have potatoes stuck up your exhaust pipe to have such an increase with a new muffler. I agree, it won't make any difference, especially if your car has a catalytic converter.

If you bought an efficient and complete "cat-back" exhaust system with free-flow catalytic as well, you might get 3 or 4 horsepower and perhaps a teeny bit better mileage.

If mufflers could increase mileage 20%, manufacturers would have installed them years ago obviously.
  • mossyoak1012mossyoak1012 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 V6 toyota tacoma and i was wondering what the best exhaust system i can get for it.what kind sounds the best with a V6
    I'm not sure if this company makes an exhaust for your particular vehicle but strictly for sound I really like ANSA systems.
  • knightsball24knightsball24 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have the Greddy SP2 Exhaust on my car and i was thinking about purchasing the Blitz Nur Spec exhaust and was wondering if anybody knew how it sounded on this car or if they know that it sounds good with this vehicle and i was also wondering if i put headers and a down pipe on the car will it make a big difference in the way the exhaust sounds therefore i wont have to change it please write back if you have any suggestions or if you konow thanko you
  • bajookbajook Member Posts: 1
    Will cutting off the catalytic converter help give my car more power. It is a 1997 honda civic dx. I would like to find any web links where i can see where i could and how to get it done.
    I think you'd be much smarter to install a high-flow catalytic converter. Taking yours off has unpredictable results since your car's engine management system may be linked to your catalytic and cause possible loss of power, increased fuel consumption and the engine light to stay on all the time.

A high-flow cat with cat back exhaust might give you something like 8-12HP total.

Also as you may know, removing your catalytic is totally illegal.
  • icetre4icetre4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Cavalier LS Sport. I work for my Dad who is a small dealer and we bought it with the intention to sell but after driving the car for awhile I decided I'd buy it. When we bought it it already had a cold air intake and headers. The previous owners also had put in a cat back exhaust but with no muffler. Needless to say, it was soooo loud. So we took it to the muffler shop and got a magnaflow performance muffler on it and that made it much quieter and acceptable. But as I've driven it more it's either gotten louder or I just forgot how loud it used to be, but either way I am annoyed with the noise, mainly on the highway at high speeds. So I've been looking for ways to quiet it down and I read about resonators. My plan is to get a resonator installed somewhere between the converter and muffler, and maybe get an exhaust tip that is also a resonator. While they're welding things I thought I might as well throw in a high flow cat and see if that would help my power at all. My question is: The high flow cat has no sensor socket. The resonator does. If I plugged the sensor into the resonator which would be down the pipe a bit, would it still pass emissions like it should? Would I be risking that or getting a check engine light? I don't know much when it comes to exhaust and things. Please help and sorry for the long story.
    That sounds like a question that could only be answered by experiment. There are too many variables I think to make a prediction as to what would happen. I wonder why the high flow cat has no sensor socket?
  • 88302tbird88302tbird Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i have a 5.0 88 tbird only thing added to it was flowmaster exhaust was wonder how much hp / torque that adds plus how to make it fast n quick and does anyone know how much this car weighs
    I depends a lot on the car but probably no more than 8-12 HP.

There are tons of things you can do to that engine. Time for some homework to plan your project!

Here's a book you might enjoy looking at. It's cheap from Amazon: It also lists other books you might find helpful.

Engine Tuning 5.0 Liter

MrShiftright
    Co-Host
  • hockey3hockey3 Member Posts: 1
    I have to replace my stock 2001 MDX muffler & exhaust due to car accident. Is there a replacement aftermarket that will improve performance either HP or fuel economy.
This discussion has been closed.