Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 450h

Comments

• jekodajekoda Member Posts: 2
    Placed a deposit on a black/cashmere GS450H several weeks ago – I am #3 on the list in my area. The dealer called last week to inform me of the price – $59,8 something.

Given there are now approximately 8 people on the list behind me, should I choose to purchase (and I’m 99% certain I will) I fully expect to pay full sticker price.

Is it naïve for me to think I have negotiating power? If the answer is no, please enlighten me.

Thanks.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would say it depends on how many on that list drop out after seeing & driving the car. If all of a sudden you are number 1 and you have not seen two cars go through the dealership. You may have some bargaining room. Or you can wait 6-8 months and get deals like those on the RX400h.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    I find it interesting that US Lexus website does not have pricing for the GS450h. This car is due in Canada in May and the Lexus.ca already has all the info for it.
    Btw, I think you probably have 0 negotiating power for the next 3-6 months given the limited supply of this car. I believe Lexus will sell every single one of these cars easily.
  • thedon1thedon1 Member Posts: 15
    Look at it this way, Neiman Marcus customers are paying 65k for probably the same package that you're buying. No negotaion there. Buy it! You'll love it!
    Do you have XM radio on your NM Edition?
  • nmlnml Member Posts: 7
    my husband has ordered the neiman marcus edition and is next on the list in our area to receive one.....does anyone know the interior color? it never mentions the interior color in any of the descriptions....is it black? also, you mentioned pictures of the neiman marcus model? where can i look at them, or rather where can my husband look at them?
    What city and state are you in? The interior color is indeed black. You should've received a picture of the interior months ago when they sent you the silver key tray for Xmas. So far, the only ACTUAL picture of the car is posted here on edmunds.com by the first person I've heard that received it. http://www.carspace.com/gs450h

Our vehicles are coming any day now. Enjoy! ;)
  • brianlbaileybrianlbailey Member Posts: 22
    You are doing well to be three on your list. I put a deposit down in December and was number three.

We would all like better deals, but with people in line behind you, it is an MSRP car. There is limited production on the car as well.

Here is a thought though for you.
    1. Wait until next calendar year and save, maybe $1000. This years projected tax 'credit' for the 450h is $1550: http://go.ucsusa.org/hybridcenter/incentives.cfm#Fed
    Credits 'could' be gone next year.

By the way... What options did that price quote cover?
    Thanks.
  • jekodajekoda Member Posts: 2
    "Wait until next calendar year and save, maybe $1000."

Yep, you're right. My hyper anxiousness would spew $1,000 over sticker before I'd wait 6 to 12 months to save $1,000.

"By the way... What options did that price quote cover?"

Fully loaded.
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    Hey how big do you think the demand is for this car? I am curious to see if people will buy the car and then try to flip it for a profit? If someone were to do this do you think they could profit substantially(5-10k?)? (I am in a business school so my mind never stops thinking) I think as gas prices creep up, that the demand will increase. Thoughts anyone?
  • anelfnamedwallanelfnamedwall Member Posts: 4
    I e-mailed my local dealer here in Tampa and they said they already presold one Marcus Edition. They said they would e-mail me back Thursday if they knew any more on how many they were getting. My question is that is the there any point on trying to get this vehicle, or would you assume there all gone? I believe there is/was a waitinglist for this vehicle, however I would like to just double check my odds.

-Thanks
  • gs450hgs450h Member Posts: 49
    There should be a reasonable chance of getting a new non-Neiman Marcus version later this year, although intial production will be limited. The Neiman Marcus versions were offered last fall at a specail 800 number and they sold out in 45 minutes. They only produced 45 of them. Perhaps when my lease is up in 3 years I will sell you mine...for a million dollars! ;)
    I was driving in DC this morning and some guy was stopped next to be and asked me to role my window down and when I did, he asked me what color my car was because he was so fond of it. :shades:
  • waiting450hwaiting450h Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard when the Lexus 450h will be available in Westport, CT. I'm high on the list at Lexus of Westport and they don't seem to know much. As I read this blog I see they are starting to come in in NJ, VA. etc. Also, does anyone know the colors that are coming in first....appreciate some info....appears people on this forum know more than Lexus. Thanks.... :confuse:
    Correction:

They only produced 75 of them. :D
  • brianlbaileybrianlbailey Member Posts: 22
    I'm high on my list in Raleigh NC and it is very frustrating how little information you can get from the dealer.... And they depending on who you talk to, you can get a different story.
    The dealer I'm stuck with will have information this Thursday. I gather their stock comes in at the Jacksonville SC port. I would imaging CT dealers source to a different port. In any case, the initial colors are white, black, and silver.
  • waiting450hwaiting450h Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your input. We are trying to see when other people are getting their cars since we are #2 on the list up here. I went on the list in March of 2005, so it's been a long wait. I've asked the dealer for a silver with black interior, but with the way things are going I better take what they give me. Appreciate it if you'd let me know what your dealer tells you....I fully realize it may only be an educated guess....Thanks
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    I have a black on black. I was number one on the waitlist. For the first three months there will ony be black coming out. I spoke to the lexus guy at the nyc auto show and he said around the fall you will be able to order your gs450h anyway possible, but as of now, only black on black. If you really want one I would start lookign around to see if anyone is trying to sell theirs (ie ebay or cars.com). GoodLuck withyour searchh and/or new car.
  • thphthph Member Posts: 1
    Looks like Lexus got a few pointers from the Henry Ford playbook, at least here in California.I've been holding on to my old GS300 waiting for the H to come out and now that its here I find out both from the local dealers and Lexus that you can have the car in any color "as long as it's black"! I got this straight from the Lexus 'customer satisfaction representative. And, although they have a list of probably 10-12 option codes for things like the navigation system and trunk mats you will only be able to get the car with one of two $10K+ option packages. I don't know what they were thinking. Do I want to be driving the model T of luxury cars, waving to all the people I see driving by in their identical black on black GS's? No bleeping way. After all this wait, this marketing blunder by Lexus has pushed me to seriously consider going back to driving a BMW.
  • nmlnml Member Posts: 7
    my husband just ordered a white gs450H with tan interior with a delivery time of 90-120 days......here in washington, d.c. - lindsay lexus of alexandria - you also can get silver with black interior, not just black....
    Lexus now has the GS 450h on their website, but it is a bit confusing. Under "price/options" they include: "- Lexus Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - $2,850
    - Active Stabilizer Suspension System - $3,400", however when you go to "build your own", it does not include these as options. Is it really possible to get the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Active Stabilizer Suspension System with the GS 450h? :confuse:
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    "Is it really possible to get the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Active Stabilizer Suspension System with the GS 450h?"

Yes, these options and all available ones came on my 450h which I took delivery of about 2 weeks ago. I have read that most if not all of the early delivered ones will be fully loaded this way, probably to take advantage of the waiting demand for the car. If a waiting buyer wants fewer options then one might have to wait a few months, at least that's the speculation.
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    Mine didn't come with the DRCC. I have a switch for normal vs. sport suspension, although I don't know if that's the suspension option mentioned above.
    The DRCC is packaged together with the pre-collision system (PCS) and as was stated is together a $2850 option. The window sticker actually references the PCS option so if yours shows that then you also have the DRCC. The sport button is different than the active vehicle stabilizer option which is an always on feature. These two options cost $6250 so they really drive up the cost of the car. The sticker will spell out what's on the car but you can tell from the price too. Fully loaded MSRP is just under $66K with delivery fees included.
    Thank you for this clarification. I don't believe the Neiman Marcus versions came with the DRCC or the active vehicle stabilizer option. DRCC is neat, but not sure it is worth $2850, unless you use the cruise control a lot. What is the funtion of the active vehicle stabilizer option?
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    What is the funtion of the active vehicle stabilizer option?

I could not find any reference for the above, but according to the info on Lexus Canada Website, the AVS (Adaptive Variable suspension) which available on on GS450h is:
    AVS is a computer controlled suspension system that continuously adjusts for ride comfort and handling precision. It went on further:
    AVS allows the driver to select from four suspension settings - comfort to sports firm – at the flick of a switch. Computerized sensors also monitor steering and wheel speed to eliminate dive, squat, lean and roll.

Also, the car comes fully fully loaded at one price. There are six available colors to choose from.
    gs450h, sorry I had forgotten you have the NM model and I don't believe either of those options were part of that package. The PCS/DRCC radar related package is for pre-collision response (preparing brakes and tightening seat belts, etc.) based upon the bumper sensors reading that a collision is imminent and then also for automatic speed adjustments while in cruise control, also based upon information received by the sensors. This is an available option for the GS cars and is not unique to the 450h but it seems that many of the early "regular" 450hs are coming loaded with the PCS/DRCC option.

As far as I know, the active vehicle stabilizer is an option that is unique to the regular 450h and is intended to keep the car relatively flat in cornering activities. I have only driven my 450h which does have this option so can't compare to one without it but the car certainly does stay quite flat without the usual leaning while corning around sharp corners. It doesn't appear to adversely affect the ride of the car as it remains very comfortable in taking corners and bumps
  • ptpro3ptpro3 Member Posts: 5
    Did Neiman Marcus buyers end up paying exactly $65k? Just curious.

We are on the list for a Flint Mica, and the dealer said he would talk to the factory about getting grey instead of black leather. He said DRCC/Pre-collision and the [non-permissible content removed] were unavailable, so I was surprised to hear that hendjaz got those options, that's pretty nice.
    Yes, NM cost was exactly $65K.

My dealer also said that these additional options were not on the cars being delivered at this time.
    My NM ended up costing $65,650.00 They charged me extra for the XM Radio
  • bushsux1bushsux1 Member Posts: 6
    I've been told by several dealers that the gs450h will only be avasilable in white, black or silver. I wanted a black with ash interior, but was told by two dealers that the black would be available only with black or cashmere interior.

Also, the only configuaration available is Mark Levinson with Navigation, rear spoiler and run flats.

I pick up my black on cashmere tomorrow.

:D
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I've read that the GS450H trunk is SMALLER than the Camry Hybrid (TCH) trunk.

True or False?
    The trunk is quite small, because of the batteries. But I have been able to get 4 sets of golf clubs in my trunk, so what else matters?! ;)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The trunk is quite small, because of the batteries. But I have been able to get 4 sets of golf clubs in my trunk, so what else matters?!"

Man, I hope you don't shop at Costco.

The Camry has a larger trunk. But not by much.
  • trungustrungus Member Posts: 4
    I drive an SC 430 and my wife drives the RX 400h, and we both love our cars. Recently, we decided to test the hybrid's power and CVT against the convertible. At 60mph side by side and with both cars punching the gas at the same time, her RXh actually pulled away from my SC initially until the V8 caught up to the hybrid at 85-90mph. I couldn't believe the RXh's passing power! From a standstill, the SC is faster to 60mph, but passing power is more important in everyday driving anyways. All this power and she gets 26-28mpg in mixed driving around the DFW area while I get 19-20mpg! By comparison, her previous RX 330 only got 20-21mpg. I definitely think that the added power and the increase in mileage definitely outweigh the cost differential even though most car experts say that it might take 4-5 yrs to recoup that cost differential.

Now for the latest hybrid in the family. My dad just took delivery on the new GS 450h NM edition, and he paid $66K because window tinting and Sirius satellite were added. The unique paint scheme changes color depending on the light. This sedan is scary fast and extremely quiet! Definitely way faster than my SC. You don't know you're doing 90mph unless you look at the speedo.

He recently tested the mileage by driving from his hometown to Dallas, a trip of 225 miles at 70mph on cruise control with a full gas tank, then he refilled the tank and it took only 7.5 gallons to fill it up. By my calculations, that works out to be 30mpg! Even better than the posted 25mpg city and 28mpg highway. Unfortunately, on the rare occasion when I get to borrow his car, I tend to have a heavy right foot and only get 18-20mpg according the the car's computer. The acceleration is intoxicating and addicting. I can't wait when I get to trade in the SC for a GSh next year.

Keep in mind that the Lexus Synergy Drive system is geared towards performance, and not efficiency. However, these cars (the RX 400h, GS 450h and the upcoming LS 600h) are green in that they all have the SULEV designation.
    thanks for the info

have your dad e-mail me when he is ready to sell it!!

:-)
  • flidflid Member Posts: 11
    I am waiting for black on black. Has anyone heard of color availability other than white, silver and black? For those already enjoying your 450h, what kind of mpg are you experiencing? Any feedback on bluetooth phone useage? Best phones to use? Anyone using Treo?

Any other feedback appreciated as well. I am eager to own this vehicle!
  • ewpiyoewpiyo Member Posts: 2
    If you go to the lexus website they have several different colors of the gs450H i just have no idea when they are coming out. I was hoping to hear more reviews from people who bought the car and have been driving it.
  • trungustrungus Member Posts: 4
    There is a black on black with every available option offered on eBay Motors... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-GS-GS450h-2007-Lexus-GS450h-799-MO_W0QQitem- Z4647308076QQcategoryZ6299QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My dad's NM 450h is getting 25mpg mixed driving now. His Treo 650 works well with the car as does my RAZR phone. You can have up to 6 bluetooth phones and even name the phone on the "choose the phone" screen.
    I am using a Treo and the bluetooth works fine.

Highway mileage is great, about 30+ MRG. City is averging about 24
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview current hybrid owners who purchased a hybrid within the past year or two. The reporter is wanting to know if you have been satisfied or not with the gas savings you’ve been receiving. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of your hybrid vehicle.

------------------

A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who are looking to purchase a hybrid vehicle and are looking at it from a financial standpoint, hoping to save money from the high cost of fuel. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the hybrid vehicle you are considering.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    The Total Horsepower is 340 i thought it was 339
  • ptpro3ptpro3 Member Posts: 5
    Yea I just checked the specs on the Lexus website. Did they change it to 340?? I'm positive I saw 339 before on that same page.
    Anyone have an experience yet with using regular vs premium gas in the GS 450h? :confuse:
    wondering what the latest is on MPG? How are you guys doing?
    If there are any GS450H owners in the Palo Alto area, who would be willing to take me for a short drive, I'd really like to experience this car. I just don't want to go through the nonesense with a dealer. I am not buying, and I don't have to DRIVE YOUR car, but I'd be thrilled to experience it. I'll buy you a latte or lunch.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You'll notice new discussion starting to pop up in the 450h group here, like:

Lexus GS 450h: Accessories & Modifications
    Driving Tips & Tricks for the GS 450h
    Lexus GS 450h: MPG-Real World Numbers

If you have an issue or problem that you'd like to discuss about the 450h, and you don't see a specific discussion on it, please feel free to start one. I'll be pulling some posts from this general discussion to start up some new discussions, but as issues arise with the vehicle, I'm sure we'll see even more created by those of you driving them!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The posts about being on the waiting list, deposits, etc, were moved to the Lexus GS 450h: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.

Please remember to check the topic list for the appropriate discussions before you post.
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    This is quoted from a blurb on the 2008 GS in Europe. In contrast to the USA the GS450h is quite sucessful.
    "With global sales exceeding 100.000 units to date, the success of the GS has been further bolstered by the launch of the GS 450h, which introduced the company's Lexus Hybrid Drive technology to the model range in 2006. Reinforcing the significance Lexus customers place on hybrid drive technology, the GS 450h occupies an increasingly prominent position, currently representing over 40% of European GS sales.
    GS 450h"
  • jhowjhow Member Posts: 6
    Since purchasing my GS450h I have been experiencing tingling in the hands and feet, numbness in the face, stinging sensation in the eyes while driving. These symptoms occur only when driving the Lexus GS450h, and at no other time in no other car.

The dealer and I worked months to rule out a number of possible causes without success. Finality, without another working theory about what the problem might be, I began to investigate electromagnetic field radiation (EMF) coming from some part of the hybrid system as a possible cause. The hybrid motor and generator in your GS450h are located right next to the driver and front passenger, a unique (and, in my opinion, dangerous) design among hybrids.

After making my own measurements, I asked an engineer who specializes in EMF mitigation in medical labs to take measurements. Using professional instruments he reported that the driver and front passenger were being exposed to up to 100 milligauss (mG) of electromagnetic field radiation (EMF) being generated by the hybrid system’s motor and generator.

Sustained exposure of 100 mG makes driving the GS450h, aligned to some of highest levels of occupational exposure. Although there isn’t scientific consensus about the effects of EMF on human health, high levels of EMF exposure have been associated a numerous negative health effects. And, although there are still areas of scientific uncertainty, is it responsible for Lexus to produce a product that exposes its driver and passengers to these levels of sustained exposure?

While it is true that some household products can generate high levels of EMF there are key differences that make the GS450h more problematic. For instance, at 6 inches away a high intensity florescent light can create an exposure of up to100 milligauss of EMF, at 1 foot away the exposure drops to 30 mG, then at 2 feet 8 mG, then at 3 feet, 4 mG. This rapid dispersal of the field and subsequent exposure is typical, which might explain why these high exposure levels seem to be unique to this vehicle. (Front and four-wheel-drive hybrids limit exposure by placing the motor and generator in the engine compartment at a distance from the driver and front passenger.)

The EPA advises “prudent avoidance” related to exposure to EMF. How is this possible for the driver or passengers in the GS450? The EMF source is right next to you----you can’t move away as you can form a hairdryer, microwave, or other household source.

To my knowledge, Lexus made no serious effort to test this car for EMF. Their position is they cannot “replicate the problem,” whatever that means in this context.

I believe that at the very least, the need for further study of this vehicle for potential health and safety issues.

Although I cannot drive this car, I will not sell my GS450h before I have done all that I can to ensure that this vehicle is not a danger to others.

If you are experiencing similar symptoms, or want this vehicle to be investigated further you can contact NHTSA at: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/