Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander

Comments

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Just got back from the dealership to look at the Commander. I like the shape as it makes it stand out from the other brands. I've owned two Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited's ('96 and '99).

When it was time to trade the '99 Jeep, I was wanting a third seat and bought a 2002 Mercedes ML500. The third seat has worked just fine and now that I'm ready to trade again, I've found out that the new ML's don't offer a third seat. Mercedes wants you to move up to the new R-class. It's nice but a loaded R-class will be close to $70,000.

The Commander that I saw on the lot today was loaded with the Hemi and listed for about $41,000. It didn't have the nav of which I'm assuming is an option. I haven't read the brochure yet but will read it cover to cover tonight.

The third seat in the Commander wasn't that bad, about the same as my ML, although my ML has a little dip in the floor-board to put your feet. Also, exiting the 2 row seat is typical of Jeep products... the wheel well intrudes which narrows the exit space.

All and all, I am strongly considering the Commander. I want to test the 4.7 vs the 5.7 HEMI. Also, I don't want the ride to be like a log truck, my last Grand Cherokee was quite smooth. The ML's ride is rather rough.

I read briefly that the 5.7 HEMI has the ability to cut off 4 of the 8 cylinders at highway speeds..... I can't help but think of the Cadillac Sedan DeVills of the early 1980's (the V8-6-4)...what a catastrophy! Also, I had bought a GM diesel in 1981.... I won't go there. :mad:

Looking forward to reading more about the Commander.

Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Hey Mark, let me be the first to tell you that the Commander is light-years ahead of your '02 ML. Sure the Merc has the brand and prestige that upper crust consumers expect. However, it never quite had the performance(except for the ML55), ride quality, and interior materials to compete with the likes of BMW and even Jeep. You'd think since these 2 trucks are virtually cousins that they'd have some similarity. NOT. I almost made the fatal mistake of purchasing a ML500 when we outgrew our '02 Overland. Boy am I glad I didn't do it. Every one complains about the stiff ride and the cheap interior. And this is a Merc. So I just ended up leasing a Yukon Denali XL for the wife. Oh, don't get me wrong, I kept my faithfullness to Jeep. I also bought a '05 JGC 5.7L HEMI fully loaded for my own personal transport. Then Jeep kept sending me brochures in the mail about the Commander. Needless to say, we turned the GMC in and I traded my JGC in on the Commander 5.7L HEMI 4X4 with navi. All told, it's an awesome vehicle with huge bang for the buck. I'd strongly consider getting the HEMI over the 4.7L. While the 4.7L is a great motor as it was in my '02 Overland, it just doesn't have the gusto the HEMI provides. Remember, the Commander weighs over 5,000 pounds so the more power the better.

P.S. Don't let those salesmen make fun of you when you unload that burden of a SUV ML500 off on them. I'm pretty sure they'll make fun as you are trading a Merc in on a Jeep. We'll see who gets the last laugh.:)
    Blkhemi, don't miss understand me, I'm a previous Jeep owner. Believe me, I look closely at interiors as I have 5 Mercedes and one Rolls Royce in my household... so I know about interiors. The new Jeep is not quite the level of my ML but close. The grey plastic on the dash is a little cheap looking but I can live with that. All of the other aspects of the interior are OK and acceptable at $40,000.

My ML500 has a 5.0 with 288 hp which is nice for the size and weight. I appreciate your opinion of the 5.7 as I would like the 330 hp.

My third seat is a little more comfortable but I like the flat folding third seats of the Jeep. It would be nice if the new ML had a third row seat. The unibody would definitely make it ride smoother.

The only draw back with buying a Jeep is that it brings back memories of my previous Jeeps... the '96 had to be towed in three times and the '99 had to be towed once. The ML has never had to be towed at almost 4 years of ownership.

I'm hoping that Jeep has improved there quality now the Mercedes owns them. I like what I saw in the Commander and appreciate your feedback.

One thing that I noticed is that the front passenger seat will not move up and down. And, they don't offer front "parktronic", only rear for the Jeep. I do like the opening rear glass separate then the lift gate. I'm not sure if the gate can be automatic or not. The Mercedes offer a cleaner looking "rainsensor" at the windshield. Every car has their positives and negatives.

Mark

PS. It would not have been a a fatal mistake in buying the ML.... it's just a preference. The GMC's have enough problems and quality issues of their own.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    You're right on the GMC's. Mine died on me 6 TIMES throughout the lease. Once when I had just put $96 of GAS in it. I know about all of the Jeeps quality issues during the late '90s and early '00s. However, with Mercedes name riding on these new products rolling out of DC, I seriously doubt they'll risk their reputation for stellar build quality. However, Mercedes is not without fault. I bought my wife a 2003 S55 brand new. The motor went out in it @ 6,000 miles(before the first oil change). The car set idle at the local Merc dealer for 102 days because AMG didn't have any engines allocated for the U.S. for 6 MONTHS. Needless to say, if we'd paid for the repair it would've been $28,000. So after they got it fixed, the wife was a little reserved in driving the car that left her stranded at 3:00am on I-15 between Las Vegas and L.A. I eventually got her a CLS55 last month and still got $88K for the 2yr old Benz.( it only had 8100 miles on it)

I agree with you that the Commander's interior is a notch below the Benz, but it is still acceptable for a $40K truck. Was the Commander you looked at Limited with the Yuma Brown leather? If so, the passenger seat should move up and down. Bummer about the Parktronic, but the front overhang is so short, you'll be able to see everything. Let me put your fears aside of the usual intial problem's Jeeps have. I got about 9600 miles on the odo, and have nary a problem. I acheive about 17.7 mpg, and this is with the HEMI. The cylinder shut-off is seamless in operation. You can't hear anything.

The latest DC offerings are tops among domestic carmakers. I took the Commander in for the usual oil and lube change at the dealer. I told the service manager that I had to go to session and couldn't wait on the truck. They had a 300C for a loaner car. This car is a Merc in Chrysler clothes. It's performance and ride quality is characteristic with a Benz. After all, It borrowed the E-Class' rear suspension. Check it out if you haven't.

J.P.S., ESQ
    The Commander that I sat in was on the showroom floor and was a Limited, red with tutone tan leather. The drivers seat would not operate at all, the passenger seat would move forward and backward but not up and down. I'm really hoping that they offer fully automatic seats and this was just a very, very rare incident. ;)

I did see a silver Limited on the lot that had the yuma saddle leather seats. I like the color of the leather but it looks like they pulled the seats out of another vehicle as the doors, carpet, dash, etc... are all a light grayish color, not really matching the seats. That looks a little funny to me although I like the saddle color.

I'm surprised about your "S55" situation... very rare I'm sure but extremely frustrating. The Mercedes dealer should have given you a car to drive while yours was incapacitated, hopefully they did.

You have picked a beautiful car for your wife to drive, the CLS is really attractive. My Mercedes' have been really good except with a few small gitches.

I've never driven a 300C but I find it to be attractive and a good seller for DC.

Keep us updated on how your Commander performs, I'll decide early December on what I want to trade for. I'll have about a month to look at other contenders before I make my final decision.

Ciao, Mark :)
  • horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    Hi Johndodge,
    I have a question for you regarding the possible Diesel engine in the Jeep line up. Since Mercedes-Daimler bought Detroit Diesel where did the "DELTA" V6 Diesel engine go?
    This baby is perfect for all our needs here in Canada and in the USA.This engine was developed and built by Deetroit Diesel.The vital signs are as follows: V6 Diesel, direct injection( fuel rails), four valves per cylinder, single and twin turbo charged engines. 235HP and approx. 375 foot pound of torque @ 2000RPM for the single turbo charched version. Did Daimler Chrysler kill this marvel of a motor? If so WHY?. Can you shed some light on this please. Thank you very much,
    Horst
    The Yuma leather does look funny with that gray interior. However, my interior is a dark hue with the Yuma and it really dresses it up. Merc gave us a choice of a G55, M55,S600, SL600, or a E55. She chose the G55. If not for the kids, pretty sure we'd ended up with the SL. Funny how this is supposed to be a Commander post, but since you're a Merc guy, I was really interested in purchasing 1 of the last S65's remaining before they introduce the new S63's next month. I haven't read any reviews on it, but I have driven the SL65 and that thing was ridiculously fast. I just thought if I purchased the S65 I wouldn't look like I bought it for fun. Any thoughts? Oh, and the dealer quoted me $143K for it. The window sticker on the one I'm looking at is $171K. Good deal or not?

As for the CLS, I've driven it once and that was from the dealer the day we bought it. It is a hoot to drive. I'd like to see BMW and Lexus respond to this one.

Hopefully the competition isn't strong enough to steer you away from the Commander. There is a lot of value associated with this SUV.

P.S.-- As I've learned about 2 hours ago, the early production Commander's seats weren't fully automated. But now all Commander Limited's seats are fully automated and work with the memory settings. I guess I got one of the first good ones.:)
    I think the Commander is a strong contender as I want to look at the Land Rover LR3, Volvo XC90, Volvo wagon and even the Mercedes R-class. I'm just not crazy about the R-class as it looks too "Van-ish" to me. I'm sure it's a good driver but the looks hold it back.

I'm glad to hear about the electric seats in the Commander, the passenger seat did not have the function of raising and lowering. I'm sure the Jeep dealer lots will be full by December when I make my decision.

I don't usually like to buy the last model of any brand. The new 2007 S class will immediately depreciate the 2006 as the '07 will come out in March (from what I've read).

Also if you are considering paying upwards of $150k for a car, you are in Bentley territory. I looked at the new Bentley Continental Flying Spur in Newport Beach and it is one nice looking vehicle. The wait is 6-8 months so I may consider a 2007 model. The list was $190,000 fully loaded. And, I'm sure they are going for list right now until things settle down. You can get a Bentley Arnage at a decent discount. A buddy of mine just bought a 2003 Arnage, black with tan leather, rear picnic tables... gorgeous... 11,000 pampered miles.

I know we need to stick to the Commander topic, I could talk cars all day.

Mark :P
    Blkhemi, are you sure that your passenger front seat is fully electric? I'm looking at the brochure that the dealership gave me and it shows the drivers seat is an 8-way electric and the passenger seat is a four-way electric.

Also, how long have you had your Commander? How many miles do you have on it?

Mark
  • taketheoffertaketheoffer Member Posts: 26
    My JGC Overland has been in the dealer's service shop as a regular since May. What Junk.
    Finally, the dealership's GM has stepped in and offers to take me out of my lease 4 months early. Great. (isn't that the point of the "drive ahead" program") And get this he will give me a GREAT price. Wow.

Limited 4x4 with Navigation (thats it for options). He offers me a rock bottom sales price of a $37500 for a Base 4X4 Limited w/ Navigation.

Question after researching this site... Isn't that above invoice? & without the $1500 cash back? The Lease #s are $540 a mo. PLUS Tax, tags & 1st Mo at driveoff. This doesn't seem right. Isn't there a DCX executive that was lurking here that I can speak with. I was ready to walk away from the brand (after 2 JGCs in a row 3 total) and was enticed back with an "incredible deal" for a Jeep loyalist & to compensate for me driving a loaner all summer (at Overland prices).

Should I be disapponted? What does anyone else think of this.
    You probably got a early-release brochure. I had the same one. My passenger seat is a 6-way, including up and down. I've had my Commander since 9/12/2005. I've already made a trip from Malibu,CA to Vancouver and back. And this past Sunday we got in from Vail, Colorado. Already have 9600 miles on it and lovin' it. I went to Bentley of Beverly Hills the other day to check out the Flying Spur and the car is drop dead gorgeous. When asked if I could purchase the car they had on the showroom floor, the rep said sure as long as you've got $210K. WOW. I thought these things were supposed to open at $170K. I was later informed that they've just recently came down to list on the GT's. They had plenty of Arnage's on the lot "discounted".

I think I'm probably going to wait to make a huge purchase like that until I see the new Maserati Quattroporte. I believe that someone on the forums said they're already for sale, but I've checked both East and West Coast Maserati dealers and they said that they are all on stand-by to recieve the cars. I've got a Audi A8 W-12 that I can be in style in until then.

How does a Commander supposed to compete with the cars that we're all ranting about???:)
    Blkhemi, yes, I may have received an early release brochure but the Commander on the showroom floor must have been an early release vehicle as the passenger seat button didn't move up or down. I'm hoping that the future Jeep Commanders have the six way power seat as you do.

I have seen the Quattroporte driving around and they are nice looking cars. I think they list for about $160,000 or so. I will not, EVER, pay over MSRP for any car, it just goes against my grain.

Edmunds says that TMV for the Commander is list price minus the $1,500 rebate. I was hoping to get at least $3,500 off in December, maybe I'll get more off, we'll see.

Did you get a discount on your Commander, Blkhemi?

Mark :D
  • wpawpa Member Posts: 4
    :lemon: Just bought one and it has hit the shop three times in less than a month. The fourth will be next week when the factory engineer comes down to figure out the problem. I have a loud whistle sound coming from the front windshield area. Also the A/C duct does not seal properly. Drove another model and it did not have the same problems. I purchased the V-6. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Would love to hear the troubles out there. However it rides great. Like the style.
    Mine listed for $43,185 BEFORE:
    $1500 Rebate
    $1000 Military Cash
    $2000 Owner Loyalty
    And because I was paying cash, my out the door charge was $35,900. Even got them to pay the taxes and license for me.

Trust me Mark, there are deals to be made as we are in the middle of a energy crisis.

I think you are making a great decision in waiting until December to buy. The end-of-year deals are fantastic, especially on domestic makes.
    I'm sorry to here about your mis-fortune with your Commander. Seems like your windshield wasn't sealed properly. Hopefully after all is said and done, your truck will be perfect. Mine has been flawless. And trust me, I look for things that the average consumer wouldn't even notice. Other than the huge gas bill I get because I like to hear that HEMI roar, it's a great ride.
    They resealed the window and I made the Sales Manager ride with me and it started to howl. Who knows. Thanks for the feecdback.
    Is the HEMI worth the hype when compared to the Limited's standard 4.7? Obviously the cost isn't a factor (1200ish) I was more concerned with:
    1) Reliability of a high-end (high maintenance?) engine. I don't want to hear about cleaning injectors, carbon deposits, O2 sensors and fuel additives.
    2) Fuel:MPG & the fact that I will be compelled to drive a HEMI like I stole it (great sound at mid RPM) and see the instant MPG go to 0. On my current 4.7HO I average 13.3 MPG since new (52K).

Also does the HEMI require premium grade?
    Dear Take.... I have the same concerns as you, especially, the reliability part. The fuel economy on the 4.7 and the 5.7 HEMI are the same (15 city, 19 hwy). This is accomplished because the HEMI engine will run on 4 of the 8 cylinders at hwy speeds under low demand. Also, the multi-speed transmission contributes to the higher mpg's.

Blkhemi, what kind of fuel are you putting in your Commander HEMI?

Mark
    I'm averaging roughly 17.9 MPG with about 65%city and 35% highway which really doesn't matter because as you know Mark, us SoCal living folks sit in idle traffic constantly. To put the reliability part to rest, Ward's named the HEMI one of the most sophisticated and reliable engines on the marketplace today. This same engine see's duty in almost a dozen DC vehicles, so they have to be reliable in order to survive. Over half of all Ram customers opt for the HEMI. 61% of all 300's are HEMI equipped. The Durango is sold with 47% HEMI-equipped models.It so bad with the Charger/Magnum DC is considering scaling back production of V6 models to just 21%.

DC recommends mid-grade fuel for the 5.7 however regular is acceptable at a 5-10hp lost(big deal) And as I've stated before, the MDS works flawlessly. I use premium simply because I'm so used to putting premium in all of the Benz's and Audi's I've owned that it's like second nature. My brother uses regular and he tells me that he has never experienced any bucking or stalling and that the engine runs the same as when he bought it.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Today took one for a test drive. I can't believe how flawlessly it floated. I drove the HEMI and it was as quiet as my Lexus and darn near as torquey.

Here is the question. The dealer told me that at Jeep, NAV can be traded in and out of cars. It is not a factory option. I thought with the antenna and all, that it needed to be a special order, but he said they swap then in and out all the time.

Is this true. Have they made NAV that easy of an option??
    If you ever notice on Chrysler vehicles equipped with nav, they don't have antennas poking through the roof. That is because the antennas on them are integrated within the nav system, so it's not satellite based. And yes, I've heard of them swapping out systems, even for none nav cars. However, you can get a factory equipped Commander with nav. Just ask me.:)
  • conservtvconservtv Member Posts: 1
    With the 3" lift, can you go to 33" tires? Any trouble with rubbing?
    I pretty sure that you could get some 33's under there. A buddy of mine has 31's and he tells me that he could put the 33" BFG's on it without a prob. And he too has the 3" lift. I had 285/65/18 Yokahoma Geolanders on mine and no rubbing or anything happened. And a 285 section tire is pretty wide.
  • tayotayo Member Posts: 3
    Been reading through tons of posts---great stuff.

We will soon be purchasing a new car. The early contenders were the Commander, Pilot, & Highlander. We have 2 small children, a 85lb dog and need something for everyday use plus vacation travel which, for us typically indicates 3000+ miles round trip. We also have a large, pop-up camper which we would like to be able to tow long distances as well. 3rd row is a requirement, however we accept the fact that no adult sized human will want to sit back there for an extended period of time.

We eliminated the Highlander. I was REALLY excited about seeing this one. I have heard great things about Toyotas and was keen on the gas mileage. It was a bit smaller than I expected which was disappointing and I was worried about the tow capacity. Hours of research and unconvincing arguments by the salespeople led me to believe this vehicle would not suffice.

At this point, my wife and I are struggling to decide whether to go with the Pilot or Commander. I know in some respects this is not a direct comparison, but both have some appeal.

The Pilot we tested was a nice, smooth ride (very much like a car). The 3rd row was the most comfortable of all vehicles we tested and the second row had much more space as well. My wife could sit comfortably between 2 car seats. From what I have read it has adequate power and should be capable of towing 3500 lbs or more. My main concern is that I have seen a few posts, articles, reviews, etc claiming the Pilot had Average towing ability at best. 3500 should be fine for this camper, but it is a beast and did put some significant strain on our Cherokee (V6).

The Commander appealed to us because we are experienced Jeep owners. My wife has always loved Cherokees so in our eyes, the Commander looks great. We also like the feel of the interior as it is simple and spacious. The second row seat did not have as much space as the Pilot and the 3rd row was much less suited for adults. With the 3rd row up, the cargo space is VERY limited. With the V8 engine and up to 6200 tow capacity I would feel extremely comfortable pulling our camper with the Commander.

We are not hard core off-roaders by any stretch, but tend to be a bit more rugged than many SUV owners.

I really like both of these vehicles and would appreciate hearing your thoughts. Probably make a decision this week.

(apologies if this was the wrong place to post)
    Can anyone confirm November rebates (Oct rebates) were:
    1) $1500 Rebate
    2) $1000 Loyalty OR Pull Ahead with DCX financing (4 month max)

$2500 total.
    Blkhemi, I stopped by the Jeep dealer (different than before) and looked closely at three Limited's, one HEMI and two with 4.7 engine. All three had a "four way" power passenger seat, meaning, that it only moves forward and backward, not up and down like the driver seat. Are you sure that your passenger seat moves up and down? If so, you have the only one so far.

Mark :)
    That sounds about right. I heard through the grapevine that the end-of-year deals are going to be fantastic. Wait till then.
    I guess I do have the only one. Mine even has a tilt function like the rest of the Jeeps.

I'm going to ask my order specialist a DC if this is in fact the case. I'll post what I found out from him.
    I was in the same boat you are in when needing a bigger vehicle. I looked at the MDX(which is a dressed-up Pilot), and while nice, it just didn't offer everything I expected in an SUV. The MDX/Pilot's may have more polish than a Commander, the Commander did indeed ride smoother, and when equipped with a HEMI, accelerated better than most SUV's in it's class(JGC is faster yet). It all comes down to what's necessary. You mentioned that you tow a pop-up every year. Even if you opt for a Commander with the 4.7L, you still get a 6500 pound tow rating compared to the Pilot's 3500, respectively. Then when you add the wife and kids and the dog and all of the vacation gear, you're talking a lot of weight here. The 5.7L HEMI's tow rating is 7200 pounds and it gets the same mpg as the 4.7L due to its MDS, which shuts down 4-cylinders in a variable fashion under light loads and acceleration. It's sort of like the Honda system that is used in the current Oddessey. I manage to get 17.7 MPG, and that's good for me.

As I've mentioned in past post, Jeep's reliability has come a long way, in both mechanical and ergonomics. I've put my Commander through the torture test, and it hasn't even broke a sweat(it may be sweating gasoline because I forget sometimes that I'm not driving my Z06 Vette!)

Feel free to post any questions or concerns.:)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Although it's the Commander's unique flat flanks and sizable wheelwell flares that grab your attention first, it's the details that make its exterior so interesting."

Full Test: 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4x4 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Just asking, but have you considered the Trailblazer/Envoy XL, Pathfinder or an Explorer? Sounds like they would meet your needs.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    To post #130.

Unless you have the 2.8 GMC V6 in your Cherokee, you do not have a V6. You probably have the 4 L. Streight 6.

I would not buy the Honda. Their quality of engines is going down. They do not have the power or 4X4 system good enough for towing. Get the Jeep.

I have had many jeeps. No problems at all.

My 1993 Grand Cherokee 318 V had 189K on it when I got my 2000 GC. The 93 was running great when I sold it. My 2000 has 90,000 on the 4.7. No problems.

I have a 91 Cherokee with the 4 L 6 cyl. It has 194K and is going strong.

My 98 Wrangler has the 4L 6 also with 132K and is going great.

My son has a 89 Cherokee with 289,000 on his 4L 6 and it's going great!

The 4 wheel drive systems with run circles around Hondas. Get a Jeep.

I have over 500,000 in Jeeps and have yet to wear out and engine or tranny. The wranger is a stick all the rest are autos.

A 2 speed transfer case (when your pulling a trailer) or not, can get you out of a lot of situations a Honda couldn't even dream of getting a little red wagon out of.

Good luck CK
  • tayotayo Member Posts: 3
    Thx all for your replies.

After conducting much more research (esp regarding tow carpacity), driving some SUVs and reading your posts, I have reached a few conclusions. First I agree with all of you, that the Jeep would easily outperform the Pilot or Highlander based on my needs. However I also realized that I am was not looking at comparable vehicles in any sense....Sure they are mid-size SUVs but as some of you have stated their purposes are quite different.

So now the questions becomes Commander vs. 4Runner vs Pathfinder vs ??
    I think these comparisons make more sense.

We drove a Commander again today and being Jeep owners my wife and I both really wanted this test drive to seal the deal, but afterwards we were not sold. In my opinion this is a very nice vehicle and I liked so many things about it, but we were not big fans of the theatre style seating and thought that rear view visibility was a bit tough.

Plan to test a 4Runner and Pathfinder as well.

Thx again everyone.... and for the Commander owners, congrats I think you have a great vehicle, I am just not sure it works for us right now (but hey ya never know).
    Again, my opinion still stands. You can't get more bang-for-the-buck than in a Commander. I test drove the following:

Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V-8( a complete waste of time)
    GMC Envoy Denali
    Acura MDX
    Mitsubishi Endeavor Limited( better than I expected)
    Nissan Pathfinder LE( and you thought the 3rd seat in the Commander is useless, wait until you see it.)
    Toyota 4-Runner V-8 Limited
    Subaru Tribecca( just for fun)

Maybe with the exception of the 4-Runner, all of these vehicles were lacking in more ways than one.
    The 4-Runner's deal breakers had to be it's rough ride and low to the floor seats. It's almost as if you're riding the ground and when you hit a bump, watch out. Oh, and it's third row is useless mainly because of it's relatively low roof line. Other than that, it was a great SUV , just not better than a Commander.

You being a previous Jeep owner should know that it's the quirkiness in the Jeep's that keep us coming back. It's a Jeep thang....................you know the rest.

P.S. As for the theatre seating, I had to get used to it also. The vision outward with the seats up can be a pain. But when they're not in use, fold'em down. With third row seat folded, the view out is as normal as any SUV.
    If the Jeep Nav system is not satellite driven, then how does it know where it is?

How can it function without the aid of teh Satellite system.

Your saying it's not a GPS system? Again, then what is it and how does it work.

Thanks, CK

PS I have an internal system that I was born with. Didn't you ever wonder how I knew where I was going every time I left the phone booth? ;)
    Funny guy, Superman!! Hey, how's Lois doing? Any kids yet? Anywho, the NAV system is not GPS. This is what explains why you can't get this option in Alaska or Hawaii, just the lower 48. It's DVD based, meaning the software is already packed with all of the current routes. Now most foreign cars are Sat-based, hence the antenna's on the roof. GM's vehicles are also Sat-based in cahoots with the Onstar system. They too have antenna's on the roofes and rear glass.
    As you guys probably know I'm looking seriously at the Commander as my next vehicle.

I looked at the Volvo wagon and the third seat is just for kids.

I also looked at the Volvo XC90 and I really liked the vehicle. When I told the salesman that I'm down to two vehicles (Volvo XC90 and the Jeep Commander) he mentioned it to his sales manager.

The sales manager asked if I have ever driven a Commander and I said no. I could tell he was there to "dog" the vehicle that I was comparing the Volvo to. He said the Jeep was very difficult to see out the back (aren't all SUV's hard to see out the back?)

The thing that caught my attention is that he said that the Jeep Commander was an extended chassis of the Grand Cherokee... is that an awful thing???

When I did look at the Commander I wanted to see where the spare was and looked under the vehicle. I could see the two big beams coming from the axle that didn't appear to be attached to the frame. It looked funny to me and I know nothing about chassis's

Is there a problem that the Commander is built from the Grand Cherokee frame?

The Volvo similarly equipped to the Commander was $10,000 more ($54,000 vs. $44,000).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Commander being a derivative of the JGC's chassis. This is the chassis that Volvo wish they could come up with. DC decided to go with the chassis for two main reasons:

(1)To keep costs down on development and consumer
    (2)To reassure the buying consumer that the Commander is capable of completing the Rubicon Trail as well as ride splendidly well on the highway.

What the Volvo guy probably omitted was that the XC90 is an extended platform of the S80, which is an almost 8-year design compared to the JGC's 1 year.

Mark as you know I brag on my Commander a lot. A whole lot. This is because I absolutely love it. I think of it as a bloated JGC with a third seat. It looks big but it is extremely light on it's feet. It has the tightest turning radius of the class(except JGC, which is 36.4ft compared to the COMM's 36.9.)

SO to sum it up, it's a great thing that Jeep used the awesome JGC platform.
    Now it is a fifth time my Commander is going into the shop for a loud windshield whistle and a right side air duct problem. I believe V-8 may be better but if your considering a V-6 I would not recommend. Seriously under powered and the vacum system must not be as good. Trying to get it fixed but no luck. I would go with a vehicle that has been in produvtion a few years also before considering the Commander.
    blkhemi, Thanks for asking about Lois. She and Jimmy Olson are doing just fine. Jimmy is just as childish as he always was and Lois, Well She's no superwoman but she is a real super gal.

OK, the nav system is not GPS OK. Its DVD driven OK, How does it know where it is? I know it has all the routes so does a GPS. But how does it know where it is without communication with the sats. for it's position?

Thanks, Clark
    Ok, I worded that wrong. It all goes back to the intergrated antenna that does receive signal from a SAT. IT was all explained to me a couple of hours ago. But my rep at DC said that it is not GPS because you can't take it of America's lower 48. This is unlike the Onstar(Lexus Link, Audi's, Volvo, Acura, BMW all purchase their GPS through Onstar-GM) which can virtually be picked up everywhere through GPS tracking.

Thanks for keying me in on Lois.
  • meganbmeganb Member Posts: 14
    Hi blkhemi -
    I read a post that said you were in SoCal. Would you mind telling me what dealership you purchased yours at? i keep checking inventory at places and no one has what i really would like. thanks. :)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    the explorer is an incredibly efficient design and has been since 2002. the third row easily fits adults. it does it in a package about the same length as an accord or camry. it is not a stretched something else. it has a great drive system.
    how about being more specific with your dislikes?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Meagan, I didn't get it at a dealership. I ordered it through DC directly. However, I've got a friend who went to one of the dealership in OC. He got a Limited fully loaded @ $38k(it stickered for $44k). Sorry I can't remember the name. Which model were you looking for? Limited or regular?
    You'd have more luck finding Limited's as DC pushed them out first. If you look hard enough, maybe in the Valley or up north past Malibu, you may find a base Commander. I would also check the dealers in San Diego. Not to far of a drive and probably better deal$.
    Here are just a few:
    Flaccid ride
    Underacheiving Engines
    Less than stellar accomodations and ergonomics
    And the biggest one of all, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. No exclusivity.

Never said the Explorer isn't competent. It indeed is. But nothing else. No frills. Just plain boring. Some people can live with that, others can't(I'm one)

BTW, the Commander isn't streched. The Envoy XL,Trailblazer EXT,Ascenders 7-passenger are all streched versions of the GMT360 platform. The Commander is all it's own. It only rides on the JGC's platform, just like the Mercury Mountaineer rides on the Explorers.

The Explorer is a nice multi-purpose vehicle. With the new '06's revisions it should be even better. It's just that you can get better vehicles at the same price point(ie: Toyota 4-Runner,Saab 9-7, Commander and JGC, Dodge Durango, Acura MDX/Honda Pilot, and Ford's own Merc Mountaineer) just to name a few.
    I'm sorry to hear that they still haven't gotten it right for you. Have you considered another dealer. Some dealer service departments are better than others.
  • applexisapplexis Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am buying a new SUV and I am between the new Jeep Commander and the BMW X3. What do you think? I need some advice. Thanks!

:confuse:
  • jeepkbdjeepkbd Member Posts: 4
    Hands down, Commander all the way.

I picked up a 2006 Commander Limited 5.7l Hemi a couple weeks ago. Best decision I've ever made.

The Jeep handles extremely well, and has awesome 0-60 speed.

The only thing that bothers me, is the 3rd row seat room, and difficulty seeing out of the rear window with the 3rd row up.

Other than that the Commander can go anywhere do anything.

I drove the BMW x3 & x5. I still say the commander out - performs them hands down.

:)
    jeepkbd, it's good to hear from another owner of the Commander. Personally, I would never have thought about comparing the BMW to the Jeep as the previous poster mentioned. They are different size vehicles, etc.

My quandary is that I'm comparing the Commander to the Volvo XC90. Both are very, very similar with amenities and options. I don't think the Volvo's have tire pressure monitors. The sun visors on all Volvo's don't adjust once you swing them to the side, that's a problem for me.

The small negative to the Jeep is that it's a new vehicle with no history.

Do you mind if ask you if you were able to get a discount and if so, was it significant?

Thanks, Mark
    Comparing these two are like comparing apples and oranges. It comes down to what you are looking for in a SUV. The X3 can't compare to the Commander. Fully optioned, it costs more(around $46k) than a Commander Limited HEMI 4WD(around $44k) and isn't nowhere near as powerful or capable. The X3 is in class with the likes of the Liberty and Land Rover Freelander, both of witch are better than the Bimmer, IMO.

Truth is if you want a do all vehicle in a relatively modest size go with the Commander. If you want a BMW 3-Series with a SUV body, go with X3. And there's nothing wrong with that as there are a lot of people turning towards the compact ute market, with likes of the RX330, FX 35/45, and the BMW X3/X5. They're just not my cup of tea,however they do serve their intended purpose well enough.

My Commander thus far has been a wonderful ride. A family member of mine kisses the ground that Bimmers drive on has been through 2 X5's in 4 yrs. And the second one is giving him pain now(tranny issues.)

My 6 previous JGC's have been above average in the reliability department. The '98 JGC 5.9 Limited had to have a new transfer case-@132,000 miles! That's was the only major thing out of all of them. I say this because the Commander is based on the JGC's chassis and drivetrain, which has received good marks during the first year of inception.

Before purchasing either, do your homework on both. Be sure that the X3 isn't to small or that the Commander isn't to big. Also check the X3 and X5 forums for reliability issues(there are plenty)