Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Flex

Comments

• Or Jeep having the Compass and Patriot??? (Not to mention the Dodge Calibur.) At least the Flex is roomier than the FS and not as dull. Therefore why not have both?
  • cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    A theory I have is that with the introduction of the Flex, the Freestyle will become a Mercury.
  • cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    A theory I have is that with the introduction of the Flex, the Freestyle will become a Mercury.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    That's not entirely out of the realm of possiblity as I see it too. Ford did announce that the Freestyle would go Mercury at one time then changed their mind. Now they've introduced the Flex and confirmed a curvier Lincoln version that we haven't seen yet. So what does Mercury get out of all this I also ask? A re-designed Freestyle sounds pretty logical to me in some ways.
  • Ain't gonna happen. That idea was killed long ago, logical or not. Besides, Mercury doesn't need a warmed over Ford station wagon that isn't even selling under the Ford name. The Taurus X will either be redesigned soon after the Flex debuts...or it will go away. They don't have a plan for Mercury yet. It'll be just rebadged Fords in the interim.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    The Taurus X will either be redesigned soon after the Flex debuts...or it will go away.
    Whered this redesign idea come from? Was just redesigned. TX will definitely go away. But seeing the Flex, i don't know if I like that idea as much.
    Ain't gonna happen. That idea was killed long ago, logical or not.

So you have proof of this? There's a new CEO now in case you haven't heard and he's bringing things back from the past. I don't imagine ideas are off limits if nameplates weren't.
    Good question, I have no idea why they do it either, it doesn't work
    Oh it works- or else Impala and Grand Prix and LaCrosse wouldn't exist. Not to mention Camry and ES350- and countless other examples.
    The more I see the Flex in the news, the more I like it. I guess if Ford doesn't get rid of the Taurus X, then they will have a decent line up. Probably not a huge single seller like the GM Lambdas, but splitting one crossover into two/three isn't too bad. Like Toyota has lower midsizze Camry,and larger midsize Avalon. Pontiac has lower midzize G6 and larger Grand Prix and on top of that, Bonneville(Deceased). If they really push exclusive top of the liness from Taurus X, then they will recieve major sales. But they better price it right.
  • So you think the new CEO may decide a slow selling Ford will be better off as an even slower selling Mercury? Well, sure, it could happen. But I'm not betting on it.

FS/Taurus X is not one of Ford's better ideas, but it is a decent vehicle that can address a niche, so Ford will continue to sell it awhile, and get some more sales back in relation to its tooling costs. After all, it's not a total bomb like the Aztec.

But at the same time, the only way the Taurus X could make a splash in the marketplace is by being redesigned. The new grill and better engine will help, but it remains the old Freestyle with a better or at least more recognizable name.

The Flex is aimed at the minivan crowd, and who knows? It could have appeal way beyond that. Ford doesn't have a direct competitor with the GM CUVs, Veracruz, Tribeca, etc., since the Edge is a five seater and the X will be seen as too station-wagon-y. However, the Taurus X architecture (same as Flex) would provide a fine basis for a well-styled 3 row CUV, if Ford wanted to cover that base too. Taurus X is an obvious stop-gap. The question remains, will it go away in a couple years or morph into something more saleable? It may depend on how well the Flex goes over.
    But at the same time, the only way the Taurus X could make a splash in the marketplace is by being redesigned.

I think the CEO could decide to do that but I'm not ever going to say he will. It's a possibility that I feel can't be ruled out. A lot of that feeling comes from the statement above that I quoted from you. It could very well be redesigned as a very attractive Mercury that does not share a Ford or Lincoln badge with the same sheet metal.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that the Taurus X needs a final home, or resting place ;), at some point in the next few years. It will be interesting to see where it ends up and as what.
    FS was not a total flop. The only two things it lacked were power and style. In 2008 it gets one and a decent amount of the other(you know which I'm talking about). Besides that, It exceeds the numbers of both Midsize and fullsize SUV's, and even though it's a station wagon, has good ground clearance. This being said, Taurus X will not be getting a redesign any time soon. This is the FS's freshening. Who knows if it will even exist after 2011?However, the Taurus X architecture (same as Flex) would provide a fine basis for a well-styled 3 row CUV, if Ford wanted to cover that base too.
    It's called the FLEX!!!
  • Apparently you only read bits and snatches of things. I pointed out that the Flex may actually turn out to be more than a minivan replacement. In which case Ford doesn't have to do much but update it regularly. However, Ford could easily make a well-styled 3 row CUV out of the architecture if the Flex isn't tearing up the sales charts.

I'm getting the impression you really like to pick nits and arguments. Whatever floats yer boat, doll.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    I'm probably wrong(just ask my wife), but there are very few, if any owners of the FS that I have ever heard talking about it as underpowered. I've had mine for nearly 3 years now, and still love it. 0-60 is fine, and only feels slow to folks that are not used to the CVT. In fact, thats likely to be what I would miss the most on the Taurus X.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    If you notice it's only the magazines and folks who do paper comparisons who say the 3.0L is underpowered with the CVT.
  • And the FS's decent 0-60 times are beside the point...the point that it doesn't sell in sufficient numbers to be a real contender.

It's far from the first instance of a good vehicle not selling very well. When that happens, no amount of pointing out its attributes is going to solve the problem.

A combination of things came together: a lot of people might have been put off by how the CVT sounded in that class of car. The styling is innocuous to the point of being boring and old school station-wagony, when everyone else is going for a more current CUV look. AND it looks too much like the Explorer, another great vehicle that unfortunately was redesigned to keep looking like its old self...until it almost passe-ed itself out of existence.

The Taurus X will pick up sales now that the Explorer front end is gone, and the dumb name (easily confused with the mediocre Freestar) and CVT are gone. But it still looks like a station wagon...or a Freestyle with a different grill.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Taurus X seems to be update in Taurus station wagon. Yeah not as stylish as original (and even redesigned one) was. But thats Ford - they now think bland in USA.
    This really doesn't seem to be a reply to my message.
    But in this case- why would Ford try to spend even more money to upgrade and replace an upgraded replacement. I highly doubt they will make another SUV off this architecture. This is already number 2- with another 1 or 2 on the way. My comment was that the Flex doesn't seem to be a huge improvement over the Taurus X. The new TX is a good vehicle. Why not copy Dodge and the Avenger and slap styling cues form the Fairlane concept on it? i haven't seen a lot of advantage from Flex-yet. As for Flex restyle- yes- if sales are a flop, then an update will help and not be hard to do.
    Argument Picking? Didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. :P I just want people to think.
  • Got it. No problem from this end. :)
    But now, Ford has two large three row crossovers with only styling to set them apart.
    This doesn't make sense? Pontac had the large Bonneville and Grand Prix for years. THis helps give some diversity. At least they don't look the same.
    What's going on? Is there nothing to be said about this crossover anymore?
  • Apparently not until someone sees it or tests it or gets more detailed information. Ford is announcing this puppy awfully early.
    I think they're desperate for some good PR. It does show that Ford is changing their ways with all the features that will be available. The only thing missing is a more powerful engine option.
    Hey- don't complain! Fords old Duratec 6 made 200hp. The new 3.5 makes 265. That's enough improvement for me!!!
    I didn't say that the 3.5L wasn't powerful enough. For me it would be fine but having a V8 or (more likely) twin turbo 3.5L option would satisfy the media and would be a good PR move.
    Where is this twin turbo coming from?
    I bet Ford has made the Flex able to hold a V8...
    Where is this twin turbo coming from?

The latest Lincoln concept, named the MKR, has the "Twinforce" twin turboed Duratec35 in it. According to the link I provided it is going to be in a Lincoln someday soon. It is direct injected and makes 415 HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque.

If you read Ford's press release on the Duratec35 they state that it was developed with turbocharging in mind as well as other technologies like hybrid and so on. It is a very versatile engine, according to them, and capable of much more than 265 HP which is what you're seeing in their vehicles now to start off with.

There is also rumor of a bored out Duratec37 to be available in the Lincoln version of the Flex, yet to be named, which we should see at an auto show next year I guess. I would guess that one will deliver roughly 300 HP out of the box. A simple google search for the Flex at the auto show will likely take you to an article describing both future models.
    The Twin Turbo 3.5L has also been running around Detroit in a F150 for several months now. This engine is also supposed to replace the 4.4L Yamaha V8 planned for the MKS.

More power than a V8 with better fuel mileage.
    Can Livcoln do it? Can they build a real Lux SUV competitor that is as appealing as the Enclave? I don't know. That MKX is looking a little shabby...
    Can Livcoln do it? Can they build a real Lux SUV competitor that is as appealing as the Enclave?

Seeing that the as yet to be named or seen Lincoln version of the Flex will be roughly the same size as the Enclave, have a larger engine, and more luxury features (most likely) I'd say yes. The design has been said to be more "curvy" than the Flex according to articles I've read so we'll just have to wait and see.
  • blacklab4blacklab4 Member Posts: 12
    Will the Flex be available in the early summer? June 2008?
    That's the rumor.
    Do you think late summer or early fall? What is your opinion? Thanks
    I think early summer but that's strictly a guess.
  • davestitzdavestitz Member Posts: 1
    Hey All.. I was driving to starbucks this morning when the new Ford Flex drove right in front of me! What a sweet ride! The sighting was in Los Angeles. This will be a really cool vehicle when it comes out!
    Have you heard of a release date for the Ford Flex?
  • rcegglrceggl Member Posts: 31
    This looks like a vehicle which will be pronounced "dead on arrival". I simply cannot figure out what Ford was thinking with this design. I can picture their design people sitting around looking at a brick, when suddenly someone says, lets put four wheels on it and call it a flex.
    What do you mean by "dead on arrival"?
  • His message actually means this one has a chance of being a real hit. He is hating it. That means it is polarizing. A few polarizing designs mught just save Ford again. The original Taurus was polarizing. It quickly became mainstream as people warmed to its unique (for the time) look. Think Chrysler 300 v. Ford 500. People either loved or hated the 300, but no one even noticed the Ford.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Design is similar to Mini Cooper and Scion xB. It is interesting what blacklab4 thinks about those cars. There both were a greate success
    I love the look of the New Ford Flex. It reminds me of the old Surfer Cars ("the Woody's). I plan on test driving one when they arrive in the showroom. I postponed buying a 2007 Ford Explorer (Ironman edition) because of the Ford Flex.
    One person commented that it would be "dead on arrival", I thought they were going to kill the Ford Flex off, and take it off the market.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Looking at the specs and pictures, I don't see much difference on the interior between the Flex and current Taurus X. They both look to be about the same dimensions inside and out. They both have the same flip and fold 3rd row that raises up the floor creating a low cargo area. The TaurusX at least can hold 3 in the 2nd row, and from the photos on the Ford website, the legroom in the 2nd & 3rd rows looks about the same too, as does the cargo area behind the 3rd row.

So other than the exterior styling...what does the Flex have over the current Taurus X aka Freestyle.

Seems like Ford is just rebadging the same car...Freestyle-TaurusX-Flex. Sort of like the Windstar to Freestar minivan naming.
  • The Windstar to Freestar is not a good analogy. Ford recycled the exact same body (with some minor trim variations) to the Freestar, and it was a stupid move.

The Flex is actually longer in the wheelbase than the FS/TX. Thus, it has significantly more second row legroom. It is also wider, so interior width is a bit more as well. Overall volume will be up.

The other way it is not a rebadge is the body itself. The TX is an anonymous-to-blah design, whereas the Flex is polarizing (love it or hate it). That by itself will get the Flex more sales than the FS ever saw. And with the Taurus X as likely to fall flat as the Freestyle (free of style), I doubt Ford will keep it on the market a long time. But it is ready now, and the Flex isn't.
    Even though it's wider, it still only shows in the photos seating for 6, so if that's the case, there wouldn't be any real improvement for passengers on space, since 2 passengers in the 2nd or 3rd row aren't bumping shoulders anyway in a FS. It would help a little with cargo space though. The TaurusX/FS has a lot of 2nd row legroom (about 42" I think) with 33" in the 3rd row, so I wonder how much more the Flex will have?

It's true the styling is different, although I don't know if the shoebox styling is any "better" than the "boring" style of the TaurusX/FS.
    It's better styling simply because some people absolutely love it and others absolutely hate it. As opposed to the Taurus X which seeks not to offend anyone and ends up not being loved, either.

The Flex is considerably larger than the Taurus X AND will have many more features not available on the Taurus X.
    Anyone know the projected MPG and cargo space behind the 3rd row?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    if Ford will discontinue the Taurus X when the Flex hits the markets. The car seems to be rather dead end anyways...
    No - the styling and size is different. However, I think the Taurus X will bite the dust when the redesigned explorer goes Unibody - supposedly on the D3 platform with FWD/AWD. See the Explorer America concept at the upcoming Detroit auto show.
    I think the Flex will be Ford's minivan replacement and the Taurux X will remain Ford's 7 passenger SUV, with the Edge being the 5 passenger CUV.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well, although I would prefer a CX-9 in my garage for my wife to drive, I can assure you, the FLEX will be there instead, because it has a keypad on the door, and nobody but Ford has it. She will keep her old Mountaineer if I can't replicate the keypad.......

I don't know if there is anybody else like her out there, but this, I know....
This discussion has been closed.