Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I wonder if they will have a "real" one at the show in Detroit next week ?
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    The dealer website listed Chevy Truck Events
    where prospects and competitive owners will have the opportunity to get a close look at the Avalanche. Detroit was not listed - however Chicago is on the schedule for Feb. 9 - 18. I would expect that a production vehicle will be prominently displayed at the Detroit show - wouldn't you?.
    We are talking about GM here. Who knows what the hell they are ever thinking. They made the Aztek didn't they?
    The salesperson wanted me to look at that model - I said no thanks - I just had lunch. Dealer info has the base camp all pumped up as the ultimate tailgater. This begs the question - why did they call it the Base Camp? They lost the concept purpose on the concept vehicle.

I think it will be difficult for the General to sell 100,000 Avs in any model year, let alone the first. And, with the 1500HD Crew available for order now - some sales will go that direction. Will the 1500HD have the Duramax as an available engine?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    kbb.com

has price listings for the new 1500HD CC. 6.0 is the highest engine availability. You can only get a GMC as of now though no chevy.

Ryan
    No MPG ratings as the GVWR is over 8500# (8600).
    If the higher GVWR isn't necessary, Av still has the ride advantage with the five-link suspension vs. leafs. It will be interesting to sticker these two against each other.
    Same engine availability as the Sierra.
    Silverado 1500 CC wasnt yesterday
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    I worked for the company developing the seals for the Avalanche and I was oneof the engineers in charge of sealing the back og the truck. I left the company about a year ago because it was very poorly managed and I was tired of the customer chewing my rear everytime a vehicle flooded in the water booth. I can't tell you how many times we filled the interior of the Avalanche with 6 inches or more of water in less than 2 minutes. I do have faith that they may get things to seal, my concern would be how well it will seal after a few years of use. Just from my experience on the program I am very interested to see how the truck fares.
    Your speculation pans out. I'd like to know what the seals consist of, and if the leaks are around the window or in the midgate area. How were the tests performed? The Borrego concept is to have inflatable seals for the interchangeable tops - are these a possibility for the Av? I think I'd ask for a long-term written guarantee before buying one of these puppies.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    the Avalanche....forget it. I can just hear all the wind noise now....not to mention the water when it rains.
  • shar3411shar3411 Member Posts: 1
    I have driven my 1990 GMC Suburban 4x4 for over 10 years, have put 187,000 miles on it and would never have thought anything could replace it. But I think it's getting to be that time and I am seriously considering the Avalanche. We have a 1990 Toyota besides the Suburban and we can now combined the convenience of both the Suburban and a pickup. I hear the side cladding is not as severe on the sale model as in the show. Anybody hear anything about that? All in all it looks like a very retro, clean looking vehicle in my opinion (but everybody know about them).
    The water tests I was involved in were performed in a water booth at the GM proving grounds. It's basically a large shower with the exception that it pumps 9,000 gpm onto the vehicle in the form of mist. There are spray nozzles in a grid both over the truck and on both sides. The biggest problem with sealing this truck are going to be 2 things. 1 - Anytime you try to seal a T joint, you will usually get a small leak and 2 - The way the midgate is constructed, it will allow some movement over sharp bumps so unless the chassis is very stiff you may get intermittant leaks.

The seals we were developing when I was there are nothing more than your standard rubber seal, nothing fancy. There are drains at each corner of the back window to keep puddle from collecting against the window. The versatility of the truck is quite inspiring, how well GM can pull it off leaves me curious.
    What are the problems with the seals on your 'rado XCab?

Sharon - The Av cladding is probably pretty close to what you see on the Chevy website. My thoughts on the styling are that the Av is aggressive, progressive, innovative and a gamble on GM's part. They have to get these new features working right. The care they may be taking could be an explanation for the lack of news releases, drives and reviews on this model.
    Is this at the base of the window? Does the cargo cover allow water to pool up against the window and where do the drains channel the water? What leak produced the 6" of water in the vehicle?
    The last I saw, the drains are at each corner of the back window, kind of in the fast back hoop. At first they were to small and the water didn't drain fast enough, now though the water doesn't pool there at all. The big leaker was the crossbar, midgate, glass junction. There is just so much going on there, but keep in mind it's been a year since I left the compnay that was designing the seals so a lot may have happened.
    Sorry, a T joint is whenever you have a seam, like between 2 of the cargo cover panels (there are 3) and the side of the truck. Imagine the line made running crossways on the truck between the two panels and then imagine when the meet up to the side of the truck, it forms a T and they were having a real hard time getting a seal in that type of situation.
    Why did I even let myself wish that things would be different with this vehicle. For some reason, I was hoping that maybe they had a couple of sharp guys working on this thing to get the complicated seals done properly. Looks like the sharp guys left.

I'm sure I'll still take one out for a test drive when they show up sometime this summer, but I can already see myself laughing hard as hell at the wind noise it creates doing 75 on the freeway.

Oh well. Maybe I'll just bypass the truck purchase completely this time around and just go with my new Vette instead. I'll let my wife be the truck driver of the family. LOL.
    GM promoted this as dressing up structural components. I think it may have also been designed to keep wind and water off the glass and midgate joints.
    The rear door requires great effort to close as well as the passenger front. Once secured, the wind/road noise is rather loud on the freeway. Something like leaving the door partially open.

joelis

How are the seals on the vette?
    I'll let you know in about 3 months.

So far, I've only driven the Convertible version of the C5, so seals are irrevalent, if you know what I mean.
    So far not a mention of the Av at either show. Will it be shown as a new model at these shows?
    Its gonna be in chicago (feb 9-18)

Ryan
    I got an interesting little brochure in the mail a few days ago. It shows all color options and all the "tricks" that can be done with the different layouts in color pictures. They are small pictures though.

I still like its functionality potential, but its the quality part that scares me.
    of the Ave will be suspect? LOL!!!

Could it be because of GM's previous track record?
    Did you get the 14 page brochure? I've seen it as a pdf file - resolution wasn't that great.

Babs: They show the Av as scheduled for 33 events starting with the LA show on now. But it hasn't received any commentary to date. LA is the first and Chicago the second Chevy Truck Special Event.

Maybe the waterfall that the production models will be demonstrated under at these shows is still being assembled. They may nip that quality question in the bud. LOL?
    Ya, but they are only 1/2 size pages though. Good pictures, but small.

Looks like they reengineered those storage units in the rear quarters. Decreased the storage space, but added grab handles on the rear corners.

Also, they put lighting on the inside of the box panels (good idea) but I bet that you have to go all the way to the instrument panel to turn them on and off. LOL.
    http://www.chicagoautoshow.com

Anyone else going?

Ryan
    I would like to see the Av at a show - but evidently it hasn't made a showing at LA or Detroit. On the GM Experience Live, you can view all of the models displayed. The Av is MIA! In between basketball tourney games this past weekend, I took the family and one other boy to test drive the SCrew Lariat and the Suburban LT (closest you can find to the AV for now). The SCrew, while nice, was more truck-like in ride and handling (expected). Best feature - adjustable pedals. Detractions - difficult step-in height for smaller folk, seats were a little short in the thigh. Sub - excellent ride and handling - big difference on washboard, etc. Heated seat a winner for the wife. The kids thought it offered a little less rear legroom. I want to see the Avalanche, but will not make plans for a show until it will be there for sure.
    You have to look, but you can find the Av in Detroit. They are showing the grotesque Base Camp and a Z71 in white. The top box storage does look very different, as noted by joelis earlier.
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    March last year. Had the red one there. way up, couldnt see into it. Major dissapointment.

Prediction: 2003-4 Chevrolet Avalanche SS 6.0L, maybe dropped.

Can't wait to climb all over one of these things at a dealership/car show!

Does anyone know if the interior can be sealed with the "midgate" down? i.e. tailgate closed, box tonneau in place, rear glass in place but seats folded and box exposed to interior? It would be nice to have a way to open up the cargo box to 8 feet and still seal yourself COMPLETELY from the outside like a regular cab pickup. Oh well. Still a very nice truck.
    Sealed cargo area with the midgate open and the glass in - is possible. Whether it seals tightly, well, that's the open question right now.
    I can't even get my Silverado to seal properly, how can they expect to do it with a semi convertible Ave? LOL
    Joelis - Dean has seen this, in case you haven't - from the Silverado Problems topic...

68 3 & 4 door problems by salesrep Jan 19, 2001 (03:46 pm)
    I had previously reported that I would pass on the Chevrolet part numbers that will fix your hard closing problem in cold or cool weather of the rear doors on the ext cabs Silverado.

#15057687 Latch, #15057688 Latch, #15063698 Striker. The Chevrolet TSB for this problem is 00-08-64-016 Located in section 08 under Body & Accessories.

Both right and left door are affected by this TSB.

Up till a week ago Chevrolet totally denied any knowledge of a door closing problem. In one week they have manufactured parts and written the TSB. Amazing!!!
    Ordering that was to commence in Jan. will now be Feb. They will not see a production vehicle in the 1st qtr. as originally scheduled. Units to hit showrooms in April/May. (MAYBE?) Meanwhile, the Lincoln Blackwood is available for ordering and F150 SCrew continues to rack up the sales. Can you say "behind the curve"?
    I noticed the movement of this topic into the "hot" category, and, like a bad car wreck, I had to gawk (when talking Aztek, not to be confused with gack, LOL). A post that may be of interest:

"By the fall, dealers will start seeing the 2002 Aztek models with exterior modifications. Anything plastic on the exterior (front/rear bumpers, side skirting, protective cladding, grille, front/rear lighting will be changed and (with the exception of the lights of course) will be painted the color of the vehicle vs the gray we have now. The cladding over the wheels will lose the flat look and become round so as to make the wheels look larger."

Not knowing the validity or credibility of the claim or the party that posted the above, doesn't this have a familiar ring? A vehicle, with overly aggressive styling, cheap looking plastic cladding available in one color, and wheel flares encompassing a flat styling.

Is GM analyzing the results of the Aztek debacle and embarking on a campaign to make the production Av more appealing to the masses? Remember, Aztek sales were forecasted to be in a range similar those forecasted for the Av. Those forecasts were scaled back 25% or more soon after introduction and many dealers have their first and only models on their lots as the plant is being shutdown.

My take - 1) GM is overly optimistic with a sales forecast of 100,000 units/year. 2)Salespeople/Consumers are nervous about the pricing of this vehicle, yet to be published, to the point that it should settle below expectations. 3) The Av will need to share more parts and looks with the 'rado and Sub to sell near expectations and be more profitable for the General.
  • guru101guru101 Member Posts: 15
    I completely agree with you timfarn on all 3 of your points. I totally fit into #2. I want an Av, but I think the $$$ will be too high. Looking at the market, anything above 26k for a base is too high. If I could get a 4x4 for less than 30k I think I would. Otherwise, I'll buy a Santa Fe.

My prediction is that the Av will suffer a typical GM demise. They'll make them for a few years, realize there are engineering and profitibility issues, and can it. The Av will be another Fiero, Impala SS, Lumina MPV, etc. You can add the Aztek to this list too.

If GM really wants to sell 100,000 Avs, they should make it look exactly like an extend cab 'rado, except a little longer.
    Since the Av is a derivative of the Sub, it would be natural for the truck to look like the ex cab 'rado. Using common doors, trim, etc. helps profitability. I think the Av will have "legs" especially as compared to some of the models you mention - just not at the sales levels projected by GM. Can you believe they were advertising the Aztek during the Super Bowl!? Either a colossal waste of advertising $ or a last ditch effort to give some life to a doomed product.
    Yeah, not only did GM advertise during the Super Bowl, but I've seen commercials during the new Survivor series too. I just read that Pontiac has only sold 11,700 Azteks since June. That's terrible. I don't see how GM could have missed the mark this badly.

I live in the Detroit area, and I see several Azteks daily. Its my belief that outside of GM employees in South-East Michigan, GM has managed to sell very few Azteks. I don't see how they can afford to keep producing them. I think its going to be redesigned very quickly.
    Its also going to be the Pace Car for the Daytona 500. Unbelieveable, GM pissing money away on that piece of junk.

Guru, are you serious about buying a Hyundai? Why?

You get what you pay for you know. Cheap junk and ugly too!
  • pavelkpavelk Member Posts: 2
    Saw the avalanche at the Portland boat show on saturday. They had it on platform so I could not check out the midgate up close in the truck. However, there was a cut-out of the midgate on display. I was able to close it, but could not figure out how it opens - I could open whole thing with the t-bar when window was removed, but not the gate with the window in place - there must be some trick to it.
    This must be a display from pre-production testing or something - there is a 1/8 gap with light coming through near the top of the t-bar. I could easily slide finger to the other side near the t-bar at the top - gasket is soft. Imagine the wind noise at 70mph...Seal is very simple, except the part around the t-bar, where it is pretty ugly. The latches are pretty simple too - but they required me about 50 lbs of pressure/push to lock. Imagine twisting your back and trying to lock it inside when you are standing outside...dangerous for your back to twist and push at the same time.
    I got disappointment at the top boxes too - they are wiggling since they are only supported at center by a lock. All that plastic near front is very soft - I thought the grille would me metal not cheap soft plastic. Cladding has a rough texture - it will provide good grip for all the dirt to hold. I think it will leave scuff marks, too.
    They are marketing it heavily - I guess someone is afraid it would not sell. The MSRP was verbally quoted (uncomfirmed) at low-to-mid 30 grand. Too much for this kind of truck.
    Not too impressed overall - It does look okay sideways (I do not like edgy front end, but it's ok). GM will probably take 2-3 years (when people start taking them back by lemon laws) to get the seal right (if they ever get it air-tight). Some more advanced locks would be better - something that will pull the midgate to the gasket tightly, perhaps by threaded rods w/handles or something.
    Since this was a separate display of midgate, not the actual one in the vehicle, I do not know if it is the same in production truck. I hope not.

On the separate topic - I liked the 2500HD Crew-Cab GMC and Chevy trucks - some had Duramax.
    I'm planning on attending 2/12 - this is one of the designated Chevy Truck Special Events and Chevy is supposed to come through with passes to see the Av up close.

PAVELK: What color was the truck on display in Portland? Were the top boxes that you commented on in a display or on the truck?

If GM can keep to their targeted pricing in between the Ext. Cab 'rado and the Sub, this truck could be a good buy (goodbye if they don't get the new parts right).

Guru, it is definitely three or four tiers above the Sante Fe - no comparison.
    Definitely the Av is several tiers above the Santa Fe. I totally agree with that. But here's my logic: If I can't get what I really want, then I might as well get the best value.

My lease is up in June and I want to buy a 4X4 with 4 doors and at least a V6. Av is my 1st choice. However, 30k is my limit. I think this should be reasonable because an extended-cab Silverado 4X4 is in the 27-28k range with mid-level equipment. So, if GM says the price is 30k I'll buy one.

Otherwise, my Chevy options are Tracker, Blazer or Tahoe. The Tahoe is way to $$$. The 4X4 Blazer runs 26-28k compared to 21k for a Santa Fe, and they're actually fairly similar feature wise (only major difference is Blazer has a real frame).

Comparing the Tracker to a Santa Fe, the Santa Fe is bigger, has more hp, a much better warranty, more equipment and actually costs less. So, no reason to buy a Tracker.

To sum up, I'm not saying or even trying to suggest that a Santa Fe in any way compares to an Avalanche. I really do want an Av, and I think that GM products are solid and reliable. As testimony to my opinion, My wife and I are leasing a 98 S-10 and we own a 99 S-10, a 97 Z-28 and an 87 Firebird (152k mi and still going). But, I find a Santa Fe to be a very tempting deal. Loads of equipment, decent size, strong V6, and even if parts fail on it the warranty is outstanding. Only major drawback is the terrible depreciation. Based on the high demand for the Santa Fe right now, I think its safe to say I'm not alone in thinking its a bargain.

By the way, I was at the Detroit Auto Show a few weeks ago and there were 3 Avs. A pewter one, a white one (ugly color combo IMHO) and a weird yellow color one that was in full BaseCamp trim. All 3 were on platforms and you couldn't get close to any of them. I asked about pricing and was told anywhere between 25k and 35k.
    The 2002 Trailblazer in LS trim may meet your criteria, also. Guru, what were your impressions of this and the Envoy from the Detroit show? I think they will be tough to get in the first several months of production.

The GM Experience gave views of just the Base Camp and the white Z71 at Detroit. Was the Pewter the same as what's been featured on the Chevy website or was it in Z71 trim also?
    Have you owned a hyundai, or know anyone who does. If so, just ask them first. Just trying to save you from a bad experience.

My wife had a 97 Sonata lease. (I would never let her actually BUY one). We live in the snow belt, and it was the worst winter vehicle I have ever experienced. You could never get the windows to Defog (especially with more than 1 person in it). Very cheap build quality (the doors are so thin, they shut with a PING sound instead of an expected THUD. Major road and wind noise too.

And the worst part, with the 3 year lease, after the first year, it was worth LESS than the payout price. She tried to get rid of it, but couldn't, and had to ride out the whole 3 years. (I gave her 2 years of "I TOLD YOU SO" - I'm surprised she's still around).

It doesn't matter how good of a deal it appears right now, the depreciation will kill you regardless. Remember, when looking at price differences, you are comparing a hyundai to a real car.

I think a Tracker is crap too, but I'd take it over a Hyundai any day.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    You'll be surprised to discover how much BETTER their '01 models are.
    Trailblazer is definitely a consideration. I had forgotten about it. I was impressed with this stretched version of the Blazer. Very roomy back seat and it seemed very solid. I'd like to test drive one to see how it accelerates and handles. I'm a little concerned about the fuel economy, but the featurs were really attractive. I liked the styling too.

I didn't really look at the Envoy. I prefer the Chevy look over the GMCs.

The pewter Av was a Z-71. It was a part of the "We are family" show GM had put together. I really liked the looks of it, so much so that if I do get one it will be either pewter or black. But, the closest anyone could get was 25 feet away. And it was elevated at least 10 feet. I couldn't even guarantee that it was a complete truck (other than the body which you could see).

I know that a Hyundai will depreciate more quickly than a Chevy, but they end up in the same spot. 10 years down the road neither will be worth much (only a mere fraction of their original values). I'm taking a while to make my purchase because I want it to last a long time.

I examined the Santa Fe very closely, and I was actually impressed with the build quality. The doors were heavy and closed with a deep thud. And again, that 10 year/100k engine & transmission warranty is very tempting. I've been reading the owners forums and many have only good things to say about it. They have gotten MUCH better since 97.

As a fun fact, my brother has a 00 S-10 that had major engine trouble 6 months ago. The head cracked (defective from the factory, it happens) and it was in the shop at the dealer for almost a month. What did the Chevy dealer give to my brother as a loaner....a Hyundai Accent. So, I don't know anyone that owns one, but a month is a pretty good trial period.
    ...is that it will be over the $30k threshold. You might be able to pick up a stripper for under 30, but not much.

Hyundai improved - that's what they said in 1997 too, in comparing it to the old Pony rustbuckets they used to make. Sure it was an improvement, but its like saying that the Escort was an improvement over the Pinto.

I guess its just a personal thing, but as the old saying goes - "burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice..." well, I for one, will never be burned by hyundai again.
  • pavelkpavelk Member Posts: 2
    The truck I saw was silver mettallic. Top boxes were on the truck.
    I took some pics of Av and new trailblazer as well - email me if interested at pavel@ece.pdx.edu and I can email them to you.
    Was the Silver Av the one featured in pictures on the GM website? Is it the light pewter? There is a darker pewter that looks good - maybe the color Guru saw in Detroit. The ligther color (silver) just doesn't work with the gray cladding, IMO. I would like to see the flares rounded and smaller in a two tone color including the cladding - indigo over pewter would be my choice. I'll send my address for the pics.
This discussion has been closed.