Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazdaspeed3 vs. VW V GTI vs. Civic Si

Comments

• gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "I agree about the MS3 being too rough for a daily driver. But the interior layout and quality easily surpasses the insanely cheap honda interior."

Blueguy--my experiences test driving both cars mirror your own. I was going to buy either a MS3 or Civic SI, but elected to go with the much tamer Mazda3 hatch with the standard 2.3 engine.

I also found the SI interior "wanting" although it certainly felt sufficient, if spartan. I did prefer the seats and seat material of the Civic SI, which felt both more padded and more durable. I really wonder about the longevity of the seat material in my Mazda3. My 94 Civic seats were unbelievably durable--or at least the fabric was.

I really liked both cars, but didn't feel I could live with the MS3 as a daily driver and the SI doesn't come in a hatch, which I really wanted. I'm not much of a high rever anymore and would probably have gone with the greater grunt at lower rpm of the MS3 if I wasn't such a pragmatist(and so cheap).

What do you guys think of this trend toward completely integrated dash stereos? Not much chance for any kind of aftermarket unit without cutting some ugly hole in the dash. Is this the wave of the future? Doesn't bode well for companies like Crutchfield although I guess buyers will still want amps, subwoofers and speakers.

Gogiboy
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Any one check out the latest Car and Driver? It pitched the Subaru WRX TR, Sentra SE-R Spec V, Mini Cooper s, VW GTI, and Mazdaspeed3 against each other. The Mazdaspeed comes in first, with the GTI in second. Check it out.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The Cooper S came in after a GTI? Was this one of those stupid/worthless comparisons that weighs price as a factor for "winning"?
    No, but, "Gotta Have it" roared it's ugly head again.
    What's gotta have it?

Curious as my search has narrowed me down to the Cooper and GTI. I'm leaning Cooper mainly because it's smaller, lighter, has better resale, looks far better and I can stay in the BMW family until I get a 1/2 series. Additionally, my lease payments are only about $10 more with a Cooper while I'll also get free service for a couple years thus making it cheaper to maintain.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    They were absolutely ecstatic about MS3. Every sentenced screamed "buy this car - it's fantastic"! I was surprised, I thought they'll do their "more civilized, therefore - GTI" dance. I think they didn't include Si out of compassion,
    It's funny that they would push the MS3 so hard; when it comes down to it, would they be willing to live with it daily? Doubtful.
    Yeah, they excluded the Si. I really do not know why. I would think the Si sedan would have been a better fit then the Mini
    Say what? The GTI, MS3 and Mini Cooper S all start in the low 20s and run into the high 20s with nice options. The Si is a one price car basically.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    The Cooper S came in after a GTI? Was this one of those stupid/worthless comparisons that weighs price as a factor for "winning"?

actually no, the cooper was cheaper i belive, they tested a 4 door gti with like, every option possible.

I'm suprised at this post; you must have had a quick change of heart, i expected that you wold be happy at this fact!

C/D loves the gti, i don' blame em ;) from what i understood it scored well with the everday driveability, the best all around daily driver, with less of a performance edge than the ms3, hence why it was second.

Subie was the bottom feeder, the nissan was too.
    I'm leaning toward the Cooper S at the moment. Right now I'm in contact with a dealer: car on the lot I like. If the numbers come back, I'll opt for that over the VW. VW reliability/resale scares me; plus my fiancee has the A3, so we essentially have the Mrk V chassis but in a prettier/nicer/less sporty package.

I figure the Cooper S is a good car to get for the short-term (~2 years) as its residual is stratospheric. Plus my experience with swapalease proved to me I should be able to move a car when I get bored with it. Finally, the lease numbers for a nicely optioned Cooper S v. GTI DSG base come out to about $10 more per month but with less upfront out of pocket for me (no security deposit as I have a BMWFS lease already, no acquisition cost, etc.) And of course maintenance is free; that does make a difference as I expect the GTI will cost at least 300-400 in maintenance over two years.

One last thing: a cooper lease leaves me open for yet another BMW lease in 09-10.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Out of compassion for whom? The GTI and Cooper S? LMAO! :sick:
    Blueguydotcom: I hate to trip your trigger my man, but a Cooper S is a girl car if there ever was one. This is not only my opinion, but everyone I know has the same opinion. So if this is what suits you? Well go for it. ;)
    Don't you own a Civic? The high strung economy car without any luxury features? Nice halogen headlights...

I'm not part of the Orange County Fast and the Furious crowd. I have no desire to drive a tricked out Honda or be associated with the folks who do.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    OK, what other explanation can you offer? Perhaps, Honda, didn't want to subject its car to a negative review in a comparison?! Nothing wrong with it either - if it sells well why have extra negative press. Last time C&D reviewed MS3 it said (quote): "it'll slap Si silly".
    because they know that in a test that's performance biased the Si will get its bell rung repeatedly for lacking in 0-60, quarter, 30-50, 50-70 in top gear WOT, top speed, interior, panache, styling, etc.

Really only the handling will wow them. Overall it would have come in maybe 4th or 5th.
    i like the mini. wether you think its a girl car or not, and wether many would agree with you or not , still makes it an opinion...wether you think so or not.

I highly doubt that everyone you know are the only people who have an opinion of the mini, therefore assuming its a girl car based on who YOU know is kinda silly.

Go interview everyone who ever looked into that car and then your post will be less subject to posters frowing at thier screens when they read it. ;)
    i think that if the wrx were out, they would have made it 4th above the nissan. If it were the 4 door, it may have come up above even the mini, depending on practicality and price and how they play into the test. But i wouldn't put it at 5th. Its simply a better car than the se-r.

I havent been to SD in a long time blue guy, hows the weather? (i'm orginally from orange county too. ;) )

I can see vw reliabilty scaring you...but mini is nothing to write home about either. And even though they don't hold value like mini's do, resale on vw's is actually quite good!
    Supposed to be in the mid 70s today. I guess that's okay for spring. Feels a tad warm but thankfully May Gray and June Gloom are coming and with them, nice cooler weather.

Mini reliability isn't great. But the free service, the free mini with service...those things make it a little easier to stomach. My car breaks down, I'm not stuck waiting for some awful shuttle to take me to my office.

Strange thing right now regarding GTIs - every single San Diego dealer lists only the Fahrenheit GTI via online inventory. There must be some kind of collusion going on as the Fahrenheit isn't selling well. Frustrating for me as I need to make my decision on the Cooper S tomorrow. My fiancee will be at a wedding shower for a friend tonight so I was going to take one last look at the GTI. Give the ole VW a last chance to win my business before I signoff on another BMW product.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...but a Cooper S is a girl car if there ever was one."

Interesting.

I have a family member who sold his C5 Corvette for a Cooper S Works GP. He did so because his wife loved her Mini and he felt, when HE got to drive the Mini, that it was a lot more fun than the C5.
    weather sounds nice!

I like the mini too, don't get me wrong, my wife wants one, just a base not the s. I tried to convince her otherwise!(they both req premium right?)

Free service sounds awesome! Thats kinda wierd about the gti inventory thing though, the fh is a cool version, but its REALLY expensive, like 27k out the door. Kinda high for a gti. Depends on how bad you want bragging rights...and if you like the color.

Hope all goes well, keep us posted.
    Exactly, it is my opinion. It looks like a little toy car. The speedometer is a big as a plate. It rides extremely rough, like a go cart. Of all the cars mentioned it would be on the bottom of my list. I would never even consider being caught riding in it let alone owning one! As far as poster "frowing at their screens" don't bother me one bit, this is an "internet" forum and we all have opinons. I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me. And believe me, I won't lose any sleep over it! ;)
    Carfanatic,

You've never driven an 07 Cooper S. How can you argue something when you lack any tangible experience?
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Again, the germans can't make HP without a turbo in a small displacement engine).

and the [non-permissible content removed] cant seem to make torque with a naturally aspirated one.

IMO a teenager race boy toy

wether you want to hear it or not, wether you want to belive it or not, the civic and the si are more closely associated with the 'boy racer' image than any of the other cars we are discussing here. That isn't an opinion, it just how it is!

Funny you mentioned this, when I was driving down the Interstate this morning in my 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta 1.8T, I saw a pair of headlights rapidly closing in on my rearview mirror, and lo and behold, some guy was driving a 2007 Civic Si. He was just about riding on my rear bumper, so I decided to create a little distance between us. I accerated from 80 to 100mph, and he was still on my bumper. So I decided to floor it. Next thing I know I was hitting 125mph, and the Si was suddenly struggling to keep up while the distance between us increased. So I slow down to 90, and the idiot is right up on my bumper again. So I floor it again to 125, and once again he had trouble keeping up (the process is repeated not twice - but four times). So I slow down again, to 90, and he pulls up beside me trying his macho "boy racer" challenge. So we both floor it. And I dusted him a 5th time.

To make a long story short - I must have made my point, because I decided to go back to an 80mph cruise, and he finally passes me - slowly.

There's no substitute for torque - The Si needs to wind to 5800 rpm to reach its the peak torque (139 ft/lbs), while the peak torque in my 180 horsepower 1.8T engine (173 ft/lbs) starts at 1950 rpm and holds steady until somewhere north of 5500 rpm - and with the turbo, I still had plenty of oomph left at the upper end of my rpm range.

I'm planning to up the ante in the near future by going to a VW tuner and having them install one of their power packs. I'm deciding between one of following power packs:

Stage 1 - 215 horsepower/225 ft lb of torque (from stock engine with a filter and ECU upgrade)

Stage 2 - 225 horsepower/245 ft lb of torque (Stage 1 plus stainless steel performance exhaust)

Stage 3 - 245 horsepower/275 ft lb of torque (Stage 2 plus turbo upgrade)

Stage 4 - 290 horsepower/296 ft lb of torque (Stage 3 plus larger injectors and high performance turbo)

All four kits are designed to boost the performance of the 1.8T while maintaining drivability as a daily driver.

I'll probably go for the Stage 2 kit to put me in the output neighborhood of the current Audi TT.

Japanese cars are cool and all, but I'd rather avoid the whole "boy racer" image thing altogether. That's one of many reasons why I prefer German cars... :shades:
    :P Not that I street race, but, an SI would definitely beat a 1.8t Jetta. I had a GTI 1.8t, they die above 4,500 RPM. Not to mention the SI has a higher top speed, faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times by a margin of 1 second to 1.5 seconds than a 1.8T Jetta. So this kid was playing with you. Your not in the same league. The new Jetta GLI, sure, but not you. Your also the guy who had a 1987 Golf GT for what, 450,000 miles? You must be a true wonder of modern engineering. I also had a 1987 VW Golf GT that I purchased on Okinawa thru the exchange system and picked up in Dayton, Ohio. It was made in PA. A true dog and worthless automobile. Remember, these are MY OPINIONS, SO don't take it personnal. ;)
    Hey, I gotta challenge for you. I live in Ohio. Lets take our cars to the track and settle this man to man. Stock to stock? What do you say! No street racing, only on a track. And no mods to your car. What about it? :)
    Actually in top gear on the freeway the Jetta would run away if the guy in the Si didn't have enough sense to downshit.

He was talking about underway - the vehicles are already moving. In those circumstances torque plays a major role. 0-60 there's no doubt a Civic Si would pound the daylights out of a Mrk IV 1.8T. Given the massive weight advantage, more aggressive gearing and how freely that engine spins, I can't see a stock Mrk IV keeping up.

On the freeway/road at 55+ mph, the Jetta will spring forward in a way you simply can't achieve with a Civic Si unless he rolled up ready to pounce (3rd gear for instance). Get to a few corners and that Mrk IV will be sucking the Si's vapor trails. An entire track...oh that'd be ugly.
    Agree. I realize that in a Honda you have to downshift, beleive me. It is quite fun once you do it all the time. Quite entertaining. I just found his fantasy tail quite amusing. Now, getting two drivers in two different cars can end up any different ways. It depends on driver skills, car ability, etc. I'm not bragging, but, I know how to shift and downshift quite well. I have had the VW's with the torque. I remember quite well how they kind of "died" after 4,500 RPM. I think the new 2.OT is probably better, but, I don't really know.
    Hey, I gotta challenge for you. I live in Ohio. Lets take our cars to the track and settle this man to man. Stock to stock? What do you say! No street racing, only on a track. And no mods to your car. What about it?

My goodness! I really struck a nerve on this one!!

The Honda will definitely best my Jetta 1.8T from 0-60. But the fact that I pulled away from it in top gear acceleration (more of a real world driving condition than doing the "boy racer" dragstrip thing) tells me otherwise.

B.T.W. - My top speed is speed governed to 132 mph. Any of the performance upgrade kits I decide to install removes this limit. Without the limiter, the top speed (in stock form) would be more in the neighborhood of 145 mph.

And if you think you're challenging my manhood, as an Air Force veteran, mechanic, aviator (and now a System Engineer) who's been flying missions to hostile countries packing a 9mm, getting beat at a racetrack will be the least of my worries. I consider losing at a track at the same level as losing a game of marbles... So sorry, at the age of 45,
    I've outgrown this childish game of "challenge".

We probably wouldn't be having this discussion if the Civic Si driver didn't tailgate me this morning like the "boy racing" idiot that he was.
    I was content to drive with the cruise control set at 80mph, if not for a Civic Si driver with self-esteem issues...

Enjoy your Si. It's an excellent ride - just don't drive stupid like the guy I encountered today...
    Not that I street race, but, an SI would definitely beat a 1.8t Jetta. I had a GTI 1.8t, they die above 4,500 RPM. Not to mention the SI has a higher top speed, faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times by a margin of 1 second to 1.5 seconds than a 1.8T Jetta. So this kid was playing with you. Your not in the same league. The new Jetta GLI, sure, but not you. Your also the guy who had a 1987 Golf GT for what, 450,000 miles? You must be a true wonder of modern engineering. I also had a 1987 VW Golf GT that I purchased on Okinawa thru the exchange system and picked up in Dayton, Ohio. It was made in PA. A true dog and worthless automobile. Remember, these are MY OPINIONS, SO don't take it personnal.

An automobile is what it's driver makes of it. So if you think your cars were worthless, who am I to argue.

My personal experiences suggest otherwise...:-)

B.T.W. If the guy was really playing with me, the look of frustration on his face was a dead giveaway.... :shades:

As an East Coaster (originally from Jersey, now living in Maryland), I have better things to do around here than racing at a track. I understand if there aren't as many entertainment options in Ohio (other than racing at a track). I have no desire to go to Ohio except when I'm just passing through... Remember - these are MY opinions, don't take it personal :shades:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sounds like the guy was trying to get on your nerves, and by accelerating to twice the regular speed-limit on interstates where I live shows that you let him get to you. A 125 MPH ticket would be near $1000 I think. A friend of mine got pulled over for 96MPH in a 65 zone in Georgia - the outcome was $725 after all was said and done, since it is speeding AND reckless.

Just don't let em get to ya. If you are uncomfortable with them being close, try what I do and just coast until they go around. Trust me, if you drop your speed by 20 or 30MPH they'll get off your bumper. But doing 125MPH isn't particularly smart. He provoked you, and you took the bait.
    Car fan, just because a car only rev's to 6500 and not 9000
    usually doesn't justify calling it a dying engine.

I doubt the kid was playing with him. Usually its a smug smile and not frustration that give this away.

We all know what your opinions are of vw's, but i would hardly call the mk4 'not in the same league as the si' 600kgolfgt has proven it by his experience.

You know what? The amount of people nowadays who buy performance hondas, like the new si, seem to ALL be like this kid; little knowledge of anything BUT honda, therefore thinking he owns everyone.

Would i take a mk4 over a new si? no. I like the new civic and would probably enjoy a newer car; but numbers and torque don't lie; sure 0-60 and what not, but when you are already moving, there is simply no substitute for torque. Even if the si's advantage is in higher speed rpms' the fact that torque come in so early is clearly and advantage. But to each his own.

Your proposition to have ANY kind of race, even if friendly, perfectly emobides the same attitude that kid had; and why it makes many people, unfortunately, steer away from honda. Posting a challenge on a public forum? I'm 22 and a honda fan, and even I think thats cheesy. :blush:
    you can find the link in the civic forums, i'm too lazy to post it here. :P

Anyway, i thought i'd throw this in, this looks like a much more serious competitor to the ms3, even thought it wont be here anytime soon. :(

The JDM civic looks much nicer than ours, and i like ours, and this car is getting the full on type r mods that one edmunds reviewer said the civic would need to compete with the ms3. Some of those things would be:

a 220 horspower k20a engine with 158lbs of torque (wow we actually get torque now! {even though our redline is now 8500!})

Brembo everything as far as brakes go

18 alloy wheels wrappe in sticky potenza re70 summer tires

Agressive front buckets, special interior, typer r suspension tuning, projector headlights?(in some of the pics the lights coming out are blue, hey that would solve your prob blueguy! ;)) and even bluetooth connectivity to retain its civility.
    But doing 125MPH isn't particularly smart.

No it's not - unless you're very familiar with the roads, traffic patterns, best time of day to travel, and potential state trooper speedtrap areas. Oh yeah, having excellent vision and a good radar detector helps, too... :shades:

Besides, I wouldn't do this on a road I'm not familiar with (especially down in Georgia, as in "Son, you're in a heap of trouble")...

He provoked you, and you took the bait.

Bait, hell - those brief blasts to triple-digit speeds was fun - and it woke me up on a Sunday morning. Besides, the pissed-off look on his face was priceless - it's downright embarrassing getting schooled in top-gear acceleration to my piece of crap Wolfsburg Jetta. :lemon:

I own THREE VWs (the cars that car mags, critics, and people alike love to hate) - I have no ego... :lemon:
    The fact that you actually endangered other peoples lifes while racing a kid shows some lack of common sense (to put it mildly). I get reved on constantly and just ignore them. I'm sorry you own 3 VW's, VW must appreciate your business. ;) :lemon:
    The fact that you actually endangered other peoples lifes while racing a kid shows some lack of common sense (to put it mildly). I get reved on constantly and just ignore them.

Common sense died on this planet a long time ago - didn't you get the memo???

Pretty hard to endanger other peoples lives early in the morning on a stretch of eight-lane highway where I saw maybe two other cars besides ours? Come off your high horse. Tell me you've never done this before and I'll tell you you are full of it. If you truly haven't done this before, you may rightly apply for sainthood...

I'm sorry you own 3 VW's, VW must appreciate your business.

Don't feel sorry for me - some people can handle owning three VWs (or any other car for that matter) - and some can't - not everyone can be an astronaut, or CEO.

Besides, I only take my cars to the dealership for oil changes and the occasional warranty work. I have a private VW mechanic to do the heavy stuff which requires a lift, and the rest I do myself.

I can follow the rest of the crowd, play it safe, and buy a Honda, but that's not me. Some people don't like to stray away from their comfort zone and take on challenges - I'd rather take whatever challenge life throws at me head on.

Now let's quit beating this dead horse and move on, shall we? :shades:
    Come off your high horse. Tell me you've never done this before and I'll tell you you are full of it. If you truly haven't done this before, you may rightly apply for sainthood...

My Honda is trouble free. My halo, however, must be in the shop.

I've never topped 100 MPH. The thought of having a blowout at that speed, or hitting an animal, or simply having another driver pull in front of me, tells me driving 100+ MPH on US roadways is terribly risky at best, quite dangerous at worst.
    I've done 150 on the autobahn and cruised through most of Europe at well over 100 last April. Shrug. That's what the car (a 330i) is built for.

Here - save for trips to Vegas where 100+ is the norm) - I rarely peg 100 for more than spurts (wide open freeway, late at night, can see for miles).

Not sure where you live but on our lonely highways 80 mph is the lower edge and 90-100 mph is common. Hell the 405 late at night and super early in the morning feels like a raceway.
    I'm in Alabama. For interstates, Metro Speed Limits are 50MPH. Suburban interstates are 60MPH, and rurals are 70 MPH. Many of these interstates have hills, and several times a mile are wooded areas that troopers can hide. On I65 from B'ham to Mobile, 80 is the norm as well, but people don't typically go above 90. 100 is something I maybe see once in a 250 mile trip. Not the norm, I assure you. In my typical commute, 70 MPH is about the norm.

The autobahn is kept in much better shape than the US interstates, and is made for speeds well-above 100 MPH. Its drivers also go through much more rigorous training procedures, and drive that much better (something I know you witnessed when you were there - people actually move over out of the left lane when you approach them quickly, what a concept! ;) )In the U.S., it's lucky to have someone move over from the fast lane when you flash your lights.

It's not the speed itself that I think is a bad idea, it's the fact that nobody in the U.S. is prepared for it.
    i agree with 6kgt, part of being an imperfect human being justifies taking up someone on revs. No it may not be the safest thing, but if we had to base all our actions on what other people do and how they may react to it, then we'd all be sitting at home. (or actually working instead of posting on carspace. ;) )

I drive over 80 EVERY DAY. And thats at the mercy of other drivers, i could probably get better mileage if i didn't have to go that fast. And thats driving in the slow lane.
    An article stressing the importance of securing your vehicle - featuring a Mazda 3, but it applies to every make and model of automobile:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3444

and the automotive companies lack of concern to properly address this issue...
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means Mazda chat night. If you haven't joined us before, stop in tonight for a little fun with the group!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    Shrug, not sure what difference the lock thing makes. Or any other security measure beyond one simple rule: never leave anything in your car you can't afford to lose.

My cars are so devoid of anything that many friends/co-workers assume I don't use the car daily.

FWIW, a dealer recently tried to rook me in with their stupid lojack system. I laughed and told him his $700 device wasn't worth any amount to me. If someone steals my car, please, don't ever bring it back. Get across the border with it and get it shipped to eastern europe/asia, please. I don't want a recovered stolen car.
    If someone steals my car, please, don't ever bring it back. Get across the border with it and get it shipped to eastern europe/asia, please. I don't want a recovered stolen car.

I hear ya, blueguy...

Or if someone steals my car, please drive it off a cliff or something so it gets so smashed beyond repair, the insurance company will have no other choice but to total it...
  • jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    If someone steals my car, please, don't ever bring it back. Get across the border with it and get it shipped to eastern europe/asia, please. I don't want a recovered stolen car.

Amen to that.

My Chrysler Cirrus was stolen not once but twice while I was in college. (It was nothing special - a clean stock 4 cylinder that was apparently wicked easy to get into) The guy who stole it the second time apparently drove it into a wall or something totaling it. It was the best scenario considering I'd have taken a bath on selling a car that had been broken into twice (even if it was sad to see the first car I owned like that)!

A good insurance settlement and a week later I was sitting in a GTI. Not sure things could have possibly worked any better!
    I remember watching a James Bond movie where a couple of the bad guys tried to break into his Lotus by smashing the driver's side window. The minute they smashed the window, the car blew up (taking out the bad guys in the process). That's one heck of a theft deterrent device... :shades:

That would make a nice factory option, and deter car break-ins at the same time...pretty good deal, I'd say.... :)
    awesome. an theif deterrant auto blow-you-up feature. :)
    Just a thought.
    Ok, Ok - so there may be a few flaws in that theft deterrent design - but it DOES present a one-time opportunity (and only ONE TIME) for the would-be thief.. :shades:
    Really, if a thief want's to steal a car, he will. My friend had his '00 Si (with about $25,000 of work done) stolen out of his drive way, with an alarm, engine imobilizer. It was found 3 days later, stripped to the shell.

Professionals will steal the car no matter what.
This discussion has been closed.