Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Miata Problems and Solutions

Comments

• miatergirlmiatergirl Member Posts: 1
    The plastic backwindow is brittle (10+ year old car) and upon putting it down the other day I heard a snap...it is cracked. Should I replace it before winter or just leave it for now? I also noticed there are small tears starting in the vinyl top. Should the entire top and window be replaced? Can the new glass window be installed as the replacement? Can I do both replacements by myself (no previous car repair experience)? [I'm new here and am hugely appreciative of any information, not knowing any Miata owners.]
  • kymikekymike Member Posts: 115
    Top replacement is not for the faint of heart, but it is doable and there are instructions online. I would replace both the top and the window. No reason to replace the window and chance needing to replace the top next year.

One alternative is to buy a top and frame (together) from a 1999 - 2005 model from a salvage yard. With the top already attached to the frame, unbolting the old one and bolting in the new one is a relatively simple task. This will give you the glass rear window. Quite often, this option is cheaper than a new glass-window top that you still have to install on your existing frame.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I agree with the post above, you should replace the whole thing. The vinyl is only going to start to crack more, and if you get leaks your interior will start to smell musty.

10 years is about right, I replaced mine just before it turned 11.

And yes, you can get a glass window. There are many choices for tops, actually, the hard part is choosing an installer. A lot of them will only work with tops that they are familiar with.

So I'd shop that way, call installers in your area, looks under "Automobile - Upholstery" in the yellow pages. I got quotes for $700 to $1200, depending on if it was a vinyl or glass windows, and if it had a rear defroster (not really necessary I've found).

Bolting the rain rail is very, very hard. It took me one full day to remove the old top, one full day to install the new one. I was sore for days, even bruised up. I think for a beginner it's best to hire an upholstery shop to install it.

I don't think I'd do it again, put it that way. If you feel very brave, try to find a local Miata owner that is willing to help you out that has done this before. But it's not easy labor by any means, and if you screw up you might end up tearing or ruining a $460 top.

Good luck.

-juice
  • kajamie2kajamie2 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 94 mazda miata mx5 and i cant see out of the back window can it be replaced with glass or new plastic can you clean it
    Before you replace it, you should buy some plastic cleaner and polish made specifically for the plastic windows in convertible tops. I use the Meguiars products. You will be amazed at what they can do. If they will not work, then yes, you can replace just the window with glass or plastic. Go to an upholstery shop for quotes on replacement.
    You can, but in the long run it's not worth it. If the plastic is in bad shape, the rest of the top is probably also. The vinyl gets hard and brittle, next thing you know you'll see a crack or a tear in it.

To install a new window, you gotta take the top halfway off, including the rain rail. It's a lot of work.

I had a broken rear glass window, and even with a brand new top I found it was not worth replacing the glass alone. It was only something like $90 less than a whole new top for the glass + rain rail pre-installed. And again, not much labor saved either.

I really suggest you replace both. The $90 you save won't seem worth it in 3 months when the top starts cracking and leaking.

10 years is par for the course, tops don't last much longer than that.

-juice
    http://www.gomiata.com/robsoftop.html

OK, so here are some options, they all come with rain rails because customers were ruining tops by doing this wrong:

$365 - Vinyl, zippered, plastic window
    $449 - Vinyl, No zipper, glass window
    $495 - Vinyl, zippered, glass window

Glass only replacement is $359! Ouch.

As you can see, replacing the glass section alone is totally not worth it. You'd be much better off with a whole new top and a vinyl window for about the same price. Or spend just a little more and get the no-zipper top, which is what I did.

The no-zipper basically converts your top to work like a '99. The back does not open seperately, but when you fold the top down, the glass slides out of the way automatically. I'm happy with it, since it takes less time to take down.

Warning - the work is hard to do, it took me two days, one to remove, one to install the new one. Get help, preferably from someone who has done it before, or get it professionally installed.

Good luck.

-juice
  • crayolacrayola Member Posts: 1
    2000 Mazda mx5...Started with checking gas cap, air filter, plugs, plug wires, changed converter. It run great but than you will start it and it seems like air mix is wrong, check engine light will come on sometimes blinding. After a few min. something kicks in and run just fine. It seem to do it only when starting..
    You need an OBDII scan tool. They're about $100 and up, but I was told AutoZone will scan codes for you for free (hoping to sell you whatever parts you'll need to fix it).

-juice
  • mmwiesmmwies Member Posts: 1
    I have this same problem - 1993 Miata - I had a local mechanic look at it and he could not determine the problem. He called the Mazda dealer and was told the key may have lost it's memory and a new key may be required. I do not have a spare key so I can't test this. Does anyone know if the 1993 Miatas had the theft-deterrent keys?????
    I have a '93 C package (most loaded model besides the Special Edition) and my key looks pretty normal, just metal and round black plastic.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Dealer is not correct. 93 key has no memory. Why would the car start but not continue to run if the key was bad. Do you have an 03? Find a good independent that specializes in Miata's and have them take a look.
  • rob1gonrob1gon Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 miata with a 5 speed manual transmission. Whenever I let the clutch out from a dead stop, I feel a very uncomfortable shudder in the car. Sometimes associated with this shudder is a little clanking noise. If I rev the engine higher than normal when I engage the clutch, I can get the car to accelerate smoothly. However, If I pop the clutch, the car shakes violently. I had the clutch replaced and the mechanic said there really was not much wrong with the old one. I jacked the car up in my garage and had my son repeatedly engage and disengage the transmission. The shudder was easy to replicate, but I can't figure out what is causing it. There are no cracked mounts anywhere. I was however, able to isolate the "clanking noise" to an area of the transmission beneath the shifter (behind the clutch area and in front of where the drive shaft slides into it). Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?
    I'd heard that complaint before but I thought it was '99 or '00 models. Hopefully someone else will have more details.

-juice
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did you mechanic re-surface your flywheel? You should also check the driveshaft u-joints to make sure they operate smoothly in all directions. (pull shaft out, wiggle joints slowly in all directions, feel for binding or sticking).

Also check transmission mounts and engine mounts.
    There was a TSB on 01-03's for clutch chatter. Did your mechanic use the new parts?

http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb05-001.03.html
    Well that doesn't say very much but they do require flywheel inspection, so something's up with that.
    The mounts are all in tact. No hint of any problems with the u-joints either. Mechanic did not resurface the flywheel. I decided to purchase a new aluminum flywheel. Hopefully that solves the problem. Thanks!
    I had an after market performance clutch installed, but did not change the flywheel. Mechanic mentioned that he did a visible inspection of the flywheel and did not find anything wrong with it. Nevertheless, I decided to purchase one of those fancy aluminum flywheels. Hope this solves the problem. Thanks for the help.
  • terriejterriej Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Miata with 80K miles on it. Recently, I have started experiencing a brief power outage while driving. The headlights go off, the radio stops and there is a sudden deceleration that actually throws me forward in my seat. However, the power immediately comes back on again and everything is back to normal. It all happens within a second. So far, this has only happened while driving at high speed, around 70 mph. Other than that it appears to be totally random but has happened 4 times in the last week. The battery and cables are fine. This is a 5-speed, manual transmission, no cruise-control. Any ideas?
    I'm thinking it's a bad alternator, or at least a slipping alternator belt. Did you check the belt tension?

-juice
    Nah, even without an alternator the car should run and the lights should shine...it's a good guess but I'm guessing maybe that the battery post is loose inside the battery or he has a bad ignition switch.
    I'm not sure if those still have the gel batteries like my '93. From 90-93 they used to put the battery in the trunk, for better weight distribution. At some point they stopped, though I'm not sure if it was for '94 or '99.

-juice
    Yes, the battery is still in the trunk. I just had a new one put in in 2003 and the battery and connections were the first thing the mechanics checked. Thanks to all for your ideas.
    There aren't many things that can shut your headlights off and kill your engine at the same time. If the battery wasn't load tested, you really can't tell anything about it.

Do your headlights go off when you switch off the ignition? If so, I'd look there next.
    No. I have to manually turn off the headlights.
    Pretty much has to be battery or cable related then I would think. Maybe the connector at the fuse box?
  • flygal2flygal2 Member Posts: 1
    check with dealer regarding a recall issue where they replaced these HORRIBLE LATCHES. :mad: :mad:
    What are you clutch symptoms? You may need just a clutch slave cylinder, and even that can be rebuilt with a kit. Mine cost $10.74.

If the clutch pedal has slack, goes stiff and then soft, and the fluid level is low, it could just be that. It was for me.

Got a kit, $10.74 plus a little brake fluid later my clutch is still fine. The fix was 2 years ago and my clutch is OK.

Registration is required to view this photo album, but if you have those symptoms it's worth it:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4289876491

Pic 1: how I bled the system
    pic 2: old and new slave cylinder contents
    pic 3: hydraulice lines once slave cylinder was removed
    pic 4: old slave cylinder (rubber gasket was spent)
    pic 5: turkey baster used to remove brake fluid from clutch master cylinder reservoir

If you can bleed brakes, you can replace a clutch slave. It's pretty easy, though access is tight and you need a 2nd person to pump the clutch pedal when you bleed it.

-juice
  • billcoffbillcoff Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2001 Miata from a local dealer about three years ago. I have only put about 10,000 miles on it. I took it in yesterday to have two recalls taken care of. I also asked them to do an oil change and tire rotation. She called me back and said they couldn't do the rotation, because they couldn't find the key to the lug nuts. I don't recall ever having a key. I haven't had the wheels off since I bought the car. What do I do? Is there any way to get the wheels off?
    Just tell them to break the lock nuts off and replace with standard lug nuts. You will be charged a small labor fee to remove and then for the cost of replacement nuts. No other choices here that I see.
    Check in the glove box, the center console, and all around the trunk. It's probably in there somewhere.

The previous owner would have been foolish not to have it in the car somewhere - if so he could not have changed a flat!

-juice
  • nativetx58nativetx58 Member Posts: 1
    Well, my 1999 will not start. :sick: It only makes a wherrrling sound and will not turn over. Does not seem like it is the battery but I could be wrong. So, if it is the starter, just how hard is that to replace? I am a novice when it come to the mechanical side of the car, more theory knowledge than actual experience. Is this better left to the dealer to do or do I have a chance. Or, could it be something totally different?

Any and all help is appreciated.
    I would ask for a local indy mechanic reference from a family member or friend, particularly one that owns a Mazda.

We found that Mazda OE parts were pretty pricey, so our bills for the old 626 piled up quick. Wife had all the work done at Gaithersburg Mazda.

I work on the Miata myself, though.

-juice
  • charmadzacharmadza Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Madza Miata, my first problem has happened. It over heated, after checking I found the fan was not working. MY Question is at 120,000 miles I'm I going to start having more and more problems with switches, electrical, etc. I really do not want a car that is going to be come a money pit. So is there more to come.
    Well any car in the world will start to exhibit a certain reasonable amount of failure of "expendables" -- supsension parts wear out, belts and hoses get old, cooling systems corrode, etc.

As your car ages, you have to step UP the maintenance, and not just sit back and cross your fingers.

For instance, if you haven't done any of these recently on your Miata, get to it:

spark plug wires
    check all drive belts and hoses
    flush cooling system
    flush brake system and clutch hydraulics
    inspect front suspension for wear (alignment shop can do this).
    Inspect for coolant and oil leaks

How old is your battery?

AAA tow truck drivers report that most breakdowns are from very minor items that are overlooked in normal maintenance.
    120k miles and 13 years is a lot!

spark plug wires - absolutely, stock lasts 30k
    check all drive belts and hoses - replace worn ones
    flush cooling system
    flush brake system and clutch hydraulics - clutch uses same fluid
    inspect front suspension for wear (alignment shop can do this) - consider shocks if it rebounds more than once
    Inspect for coolant and oil leaks

I'd add a few:

* transmission oil (75w90)
    * rear differential oil (75w90)
    * fuel filter
    * PCV Valve
    * O2 Sensor

This is in addition to the usual stuff, oil change, air filter, things like that.

I did most of that when I bought my '93 at 28k miles, and I'm about to do it all again now when I hit 60k.

It's not so much my mileage, it's the age, on mine.

I did not spend that much to do myself, FWIW. I don't think it cost me $200 even, less than half of one car payment.

-juice
  • rubysohorubysoho Member Posts: 3
    Eric -

You would be my absolute hero; my knight in shining armour if you had any idea how to do this on a 1992 Mazda 929. I recently replaced the battery, and I even know the code, but for some reason "Err" stays up, and I was told to shell out $85 dollars at the dealership. It's the factory radio/cassette/cd changer combo. I'm having another problem with the radio, but as for right now I can't even operate it. Please, please, if you have any idea how to do the same thing you noted here back in October on a 1992 Mazda 929, you'd be the love of my life - or at least my hero.

Cheers,

Inez
    Must be some kind of radio security code.

When you connect the battery on my Forester, I have to lock and unlock the doors with my keyless several times before the lights stop flashing. Must be something similar with your alarm?

Just a guess.

-juice
    Sorry. Miata.net is for Miatas. Could try the procedure listed there. Don't know if the 929 had the same radio manufacture. I would guess they did, but the procedure may be different. There isn't much internet support for 929's. If that doesn't work, I'd try an idependent mechanic you trust, or is recommended by someone you trust. Someone who can access the Mazda's technical information.

On my P5 when I changed the battery, I had to use the keyless alarm to lock and unlock before the car would start. The radio worked fine though... well, I had to reset the presets.
  • rubysohorubysoho Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, it doesn't work because the procedure listed there includes the pressing of a "clock" button, which my system doesn't have. Thanks anyway. Unfortunately I live in South Central L.A., going to school, where mechanics who will tell you they can fix anything are a dime a dozen - in the end you're out $50 or $100 bucks and the problem still isn't fixed.
  • flutemanfluteman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 MX5 Mazdaspeed and the left rear wheel squeaks loudly (brakes or no brakes) The dealership is telling me that they hear the noise on all 4 wheels and can't find anything wrong. They say it must be the tires that are squeaking because when they put it up on the rack it stops. I was born at night but not last night. I called Toyo and they agreed that it can't be the tires. Has anybody experienced this problem?
    Are the pads glazed? You can scuff them if they are, but make sure the parking brake is set approriately or it might happen again.

I just did the rear pads on my '93, there was an adjustment screw to release the rear parking brake and then adjust it. Not sure if it's still used for the '04s, but my money's on that being the issue if it still works that way.

-juice
  • jrsax2000jrsax2000 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a 2004 mazdaspeed mx5 and was looking to get some feedback from present owners. also am wondering why they did not come with cruise control and is there any problem installing an aftermarket cruise control ,, any advise would be greatly appreciated..JRsax
  • baileyk1baileyk1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1991 Miata and a couple of weeks ago I began having problems getting the stick into gear. It seemed that it happened only after it had sat a a day or so without driving?? Once I got it into gear and going for the day, it wouldn't happen again until the next morning or a few mornings after when I really had to force the stick into position. My brother told me to pump the clutch a couple of times and then put it in gear and that worked for while. I now have a bigger problem. This morning trying to get it into gear and it absolutely would not go as long as the motor was started. I checked the clutch fluid reservoir and it is full. Is there anything else I can check? Without starting the car the gears shift fine and I don't understand that. The clutch is way too easy. One of these days I will learn how to fix my own cars. :) Thanks for you help. Kim
    Could be a leaky clutch slave cylinder. I had one, but my fluid level went down, and you said yours hasn't. Still, any kind of leak in the system would give you a spongy pedal and possibly make it hard to get in gear.

You might just have a worn out clutch, though. It's 15 years old now. That's probably it.

-juice
  • miata06miata06 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. The only other problem is that I'm broke. Any low cost solutions that I might try? The fluid is all good but the car is still rebelling. :sick:
  • johnchunjohnchun Member Posts: 20
    35k miles on a 2004 MazdaSpeed in 8 months driving ;) (race boats, cars, motorcycels, jetskis) Hi All, Regular fuel is okay if you don't floor it under 4000 rpm. :P Stress on the fuel will cause knocking with cheap gas. :sick: Above 5000 rpm driving I would not use cheap fuel. So... if you drive soft, cheap fuel is okay :blush: . If you drive agressively, spend the extra 10-20 cents per gallon! It's better than "damaged" pistons or valves! We have 16 valves to damage you know! :P
  • johnchunjohnchun Member Posts: 20
    John the Repo Investor/Paralegal here! 36k miles/8 months 04-MazdaSpeed turbo all over Ca Or Canada Wa Nv Az Nm Tx La Mi Al Fl buying Hurricane real estate. Fantastic car! Beats my Motorcycle on turns and safety! 30+mpg with WalMart Syn Changes/3k Miles! 32k=FalkenTires@27psi! Added: ALARM, CLUBLOCK, TRAILER HITCH4BIKE, RADAR, GPS, CELL PLUG, AA-batteryCHARGER, 3PLUG=12V=Adapter, 120V=inverter, 3lb Sony Viao Notebook, HP4215 4In1(color printer, fax, Color scanner, Color Copier) 4lbs, solar 12v trickle charger. Have 100,000 mile extended warranty($1500). No complaints except "cruze"!! Right foot does get "stiff" after 2-3hours! Did tighten drivers door window motor/parts(warranty). Give this car a 90% Smile! :)
    Sounds cool. Got any pics on-line somewhere?

-juice
This discussion has been closed.