Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Miata Problems and Solutions

Comments

• papaipapai Member Posts: 4
    The check engine light was due to the gas cap not closed tight!!! DUH
  • jccwalpolejccwalpole Member Posts: 5
    I own a 99 Miata (55,000 MI) that I have cared for very well. I recently did an oil and filter change prior to a trip from NH to DC. For the first time I used Walmart brand filter and oil 10W30. Perhaps a poor choice. On the trip home after 400 miles of highway speed 65-80 MPH I stopped at a rest area for a break and when I re started the engine there was a loud snap that I mistook for a backfire. I looked around and then drove off. In about 2 miles I started to hear the bearing chatter during acceleration. I looked at the oil gauge and it was at 0. I shut down the engine and coasted to the side. The engine had been running normally prior to the rest stop. It was a little rough after the stop and "backfire". I am having an oil analysis done prior to any mechanical work. does anyone have any thoughts or related experiences that would relate to this failure. I assume that the engine is destroyed. Prior to this incident it ran perfectly with no oil consumption in 3000 mile change interval. Oil pump failure, bad oil/filter, failure of connecting rod lower end bearing cap? I love this car and I am loosing sleep just thinking about this problem. Thanks John
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did you determine how much oil was left in the engine? Sounds like an oil starvation issue, but of course, no way to know unless a real engine expert disassembles the engine and examines it---and even then he might not come up with a "first" cause. But if it was oil starvation, that's pretty easy to spot.
    Crankcase was at normal level but oil was darker in color. about 700 miles on oil. I have taken a sample for testing.
    Well if you burned out the bearings chances are you had a drastic and sudden drop in oil pressure or a very severe overheat condition.
    I'm not sure when the oil pressure droped. I assume it was when I heard the snap sound on starting however I am always looking at OP gauge and I think I would have seen it.
    Sometimes you can never know until you break the engine apart. I'd sure look at the oil pump for starters.
  • clayton8321clayton8321 Member Posts: 1
    Just replaced the starter on my 1994 Miata. At first it made a loud metalic whirling noise (apparently from the starter) and the car started as normal with the noise going away. After that the car did, and continues, to do the same whirling noise but it wont start! Darn! It took forever to change! :mad: Any suggestions! Please! Thanks! :cry:
  • ltlblultlblu Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 10th Anniversary MX-5 Miata that is making popping and groaning noises when I apply the brakes to slow and stop the car. I have taken it to the dealer's service dept. on four different occasions and they are mystified and unable to find the cause. They say it is definitely not the brakes (they've taken them apart, cleaned them, and put them back together) and it's not the shocks. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, were you able to determine the cause and how was it fixed? Please reply as soon as possible as I am leaving on a long trip mid-May and would love to have this resolved before I take off. Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Not sure what's causing either problems, but...

With those brakes, could the calipers be seizing up? Do you feel any resistance when you hear the noise? If so I'd replace the calipers ASAP.

-juice
    I found a news item about 99 Miata engines. Apparently the thrust bearings on many of this years model were not fitted properly and there have been many failures. Mazda has chosen not to recall the units but deal with them on a one at a time basis if the owners complain. If they manage to learn about the built in problem waiting to fail. I have contacted mazda and informed them that I have learned of the problem and await there resolution of my engine failure. We'll see if they still stand behind their product now that they have big brother Ford looking over their shoulder. The dealer had no awareness of this thrust bearing failure problem.
    Must not be too common if the dealer had never heard of it.

Ask aviboy, he's in the CX7 threads and works in a dealership.

-juice
    audia8q is another member that works in a Mazda dealer. They might be good resources to ask.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Thrust bearing failure on the 99 and some 00's is a well known issue. Thought to effect less than 1%. Usually in vehicles with lower miles than yours. When buying a 99/00, you should always check the crankshaft endplay. This is a video on what happens when there is too much crankshaft "slop". http://www.sallerson.org/video/endplay.wmv

Here are the TSB's on it.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/tip_6_99.html
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/tsb014_00r.gif

You'll have to prove to Mazda that it was a thrust bearing failure. They might replace the engine. They have done some out of warranty. I wouldn't count on it though, with a 99 and 50+k. Have a good mechanic who will testify on your behalf check it out, or have the dealer check it out and see if they will get Mazda to cover it. My guess is that the service writer didn't know about the TSB.
  • ltlblultlblu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input! I assume the dealer checked the calipers, but I ask them to be sure. Also, when the popping noise is really loud, I can feel it under the mid-section of the car.
    interesting.

here's some more info on thrust bearing failure and how it manifests itself:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/eb50331.htm
  • kidchellinkidchellin Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone used the two bags set up for the trunk and how is that?
  • dagmarackdagmarack Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone
    I have recently moved from North to South and my 94 Miata (120 000 miles) seems to keep up just fine, except that I am now hearing a noise, pretty much all the time while driving, like an airplane. Kind of a howling or like the noise I heard, when a big truck is passing me on the highway. I had my oil changed and switched to high mileage oil as recommended by Jiffy Lupe. Could this maybe be a reason? Or what else could the noise indicate is broken or going to break? :mad:
    Also, now that I will be living in the Florida for the summer I would also need to have my A/C repaired… I guess it’s broken, never really used it before… is this an expensive matter?
    Thanks for everyone’s time and thanks to the brains behind this website, its been a great help. :D:D:D
    Try to narrow it down a bit. Does it only happen at certain speeds? Coasting or only when you're on the throttle? When it's cold or only when warmed up? Do outside temps or humidity have any effect, or is it all the time? Is it speed-dependent?

What about when you are parked, idling? If so, you could ask someone to pop the hood and try to trace it to the source. Could be a loose intake or something simple like that.

-juice
    OK, now I'll bring up an issue of my own. Mine is a '93, just 60k miles, probably time for a throttle body service/fuel system clean up.

Basically when I get on the gas, I feel a slight stutter/hesitation, it tends to happen at low rpm, only when I'm accelerating. It's fine coasting or at high rpm.

Our 626 did this and it was a dirty fuel system, time to pony up for the same thing on my Miata? Opinions please?

-juice
    New plugs and wires?
    I changed the wires, but I guess it has been about 3 years. Maybe it's time to do them again? They are notorious for giving out after a while.

Guess I should do the full 60k service, first, and see if that addresses it. If not I'll do the fuel system.

-juice
    It started out after I've been driving for a while, but now I can hear it as soon as I start driving... slow or fast... its fairly consistent. I don't think the outside temp has anything to do with it, but am not 100% certain.
    When speeding, the sound pitch gets a little higher and faster... if this makes sense? When the car is parked I do not hear the noise, but will have someone listen this weekend, if the noise is existing when pressing the gas pedal. Tx.
    If you only hear it when it's moving, and not when idling, it could be something like a differential or a CV or axle boot. Let us know when you find out more.

-juice
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    If you only hear it when it's moving,

I wonder if he checked for those mysterious black helicopters? :P
    checked for those mysterious black helicopters... couldn't see any
    Though have figured that the noise is related to speed, but not to hitting the gas pedal...
    I want to thank you, for being generous with your time and knowledge and helping me to narrow this down... hopefully I can drive the car many years to come, even though FL has been quite rough on it in the few month I have been here.
    Well, you motivated me, so I went out this weekend and did most of the 60k service, including:

* new plugs
    * new plug wires (30k miles on the old set)
    * new air filter
    * new PCV valve
    * new fuel filter
    * new coolant

The oil and filter were already fresh. I still have to do the gear oil in the gearbox and in the rear diff, but that'll be another day.

Boy, the fuel filter is a PAIN IN THE :mad: ! Took longer than all the other stuff combined. It's underneath the car, so you have to jack it up, crawl under, remove a dust shield, a clamp for the filter, two screws that hold the clamp in place, and then remove and reconnect two fuel lines which are incredibly hard to get off. Yikes, I made a mess of myself and am sore a day later.

I did it once before, but I guess I blocked the trauma from my memory. I said I'd never do it again, yet I did, and now I'll say I'll never do it again one more time! ;)

Only drove it a short distance, but I'll take a longer drive to see if the stuttering/hesitation goes away.

-juice
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Hey Miata gurus...I need your expertise. My girlfriend has a '96 Miata, with the base 14" steel wheels (which I like...so old-school).

One of the wheels has lost some of its paint, so I want to touch it up. Problem is, I don't know what aftermarket silver spray paint brand/color most accurately matches the color, and would rather avoid the trial and error method.

Any thoughts?
  • ctxctx Member Posts: 50
    Juice,

This may or may not be the issue but I had something similar happen to my '93. At the time it happened I had already eaten through several spark plug wires so was befuddled. I believe what you described were my symptoms also.

It turned out to be the airflow meter. Dealership wanted an arm and a leg to replace but I ended up getting a refurbished one from a local mechanic.

Anyhow, just something to check if the problem doesn't go away.
    Duly noted, thanks. These wires I put on when I had about 28k miles, so they lasted more than the normal 30k interval. I know that Miatas basically eat wires, you gotta feed them once in a while.

As long as I get 30k, I'm happy, but if they start to act up again before 90k miles I'll replace the airflow meter.

Thanks for the tip. :)

-juice
  • dave213dave213 Member Posts: 1
    Not really a tech problem per se, but I recently bought a 2001 Miata from Carmax with "Silver Series" emblems on the front side panels and stitched into the seatbacks. I have throughly scoured the internet and cannot find a single reference or available car anywhere with this trim.

Just wondering what the significance of it was if anyone has ever heard of it. Thanks.
    I bet it was a dealership's special package. All it takes is one call to an upholstery shop and maybe another to a sign shop.

-juice
    I just replaced the engine with a new one. After taking apart the old engine I found that there was a LARGE HOLE in the oil pickup screen. The screen looks like it had been punctured with a screwdriver since some of the screen wires were pushed inward and some faced outward as if it had been thrust into the screen and ripped out. All the ends of the screen wires were worn smooth from contact with the bottom of the pan. The oil pump had picked up a piece of steel and had shattered in the process. The piece of chewed up steel looks like a jaw from a pop rivet tool. This engine was a time bomb waiting to fail at the time the metal scrap was picked up by the sump pickup. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening?
    Sounds like the old engine was not unmolested. Were you the original owner?

-juice
  • lwirthlwirth Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2002 Miata SE and the car is great except for the way the front license plate is attached to the front end. This is a terrible oversight by Mazda in my opinion. Since I live in NYS and need to install a front license plate, has anyone out there come up with a good solution. The rubber grommets have come off and I have two ugly holes in which the screws rattle around in. Thanks.
    I have a '93 but was just as unhappy as you are now.

Mine was mounted on an elaborate Z-shaped bracket, and stuck out in front of the bumper. If any thing even tapped it, it would bump up against the bumper and create two dimples.

Oddly enough, I reversed it, hammered one section flat, and now I mounted it pointing down instead of pointing up. I flipped the plate upside down, of course, but now if it gets pushed in, it goes down and under the bumper instead of up and against it. It works as a curb feeler, too.

Doesn't help you much, I guess, but I just wanted to share. Some times a crafty and creative solution is the way to go.

-juice
    erics6, You got one hell of a deal on your new 2005 MSM Grand Touring. I've already done the deal on the 2002 SE at $14,000, including an extended warranty with 4 years to go. Not as good a deal as you got, but I think it is OK, all things considered.
    No MSM for me, although I wouldn't mind one. I own a 93 like juice. I owned a 99, but prefer the original Miata. I feel sorry for people trying to sell the MSM's... They're asking $20k+ and I've seen dealers asking around $17k.

The NB (99-05) seem to be undervalued, while the NA (90-97) are maintaining their value. I guess it's supply and demand. Fewer of the older ones around, and still a good supply of the newer ones.
    New ones are cheap. I wish I needed to buy one! :D

My '93 is fine, the hesitation/stutter is gone after I put in new wires and plugs.

Neat little license plate idea. I'm not sure I'd want mine to swing like that, but still.

-juice
  • tom5942tom5942 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to change the bulb in the fog lamp of a 2000 Miata LS. I can't see where to get access to the lamp, unless it is from under the car.
    Don't know, but my guess would be from the bottom and behind the bumper, there must be access to it. Just follow the wires.

-juice
  • tnbtnb Member Posts: 3
    Hi there,

my new MX5 GT is looking quite dirty after a few week-end trips in the mountain, and I was wondering what kind of Car Wash experience you guys may have had with your convertible. The manual specifically recommends not using automatic car wash, and I also don't want my leather seats ruined by a cheap shop employee. Also, is car waxing needed, and how often ?
    I am in the LA coastal region.
    Thanks in advance.
    TNB
    I would appreciate any recommendations for fixing paint chips on the front bumper of a 2002 Miata SE. I know that the paint code is 26S but don't want the repair to look even worse than it already does. I also have paint dings behind the front license plate due to poor Mazda design, but will probably let them go for now. Thanks for your advice. LRW
    I flipped my license plate holder upside down, so that it bends away from the bumper instead of towards it. It look a hammer and some elbow grease, plus it's mounted lower now.

-juice
    Juice, I got a new plate holder on the internet which is much better than the standard Miata holder, but --- do you have any advice on repairing the paint chips that I can still see on the front bumper. My Miata SE has blazing yellow mica metallic clearcoat, code 26S paint and I want to do something that will blend in with the metallic paint and not look bad. Thanks LRW
    Chips are tough... I've done it, but it doesn't look perfect. There are plenty of "how to" touch up websites out there. If you want it perfect, you'll have to get it repainted. Good luck.
    I have a lot of touch-ups on mine, but to be honest, it doesn't look that great. My car is 13 years old, so I'm OK with it, it actually looks good for its age!

-juice
  • bast2000bast2000 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, need some serious help!
    Bought a 2006 MX-5 in Texas and now moving back to Canada. I am aware of to significant requirements in order to be able to import the MX-5 into Canada . These requirements are from the RIV:
    1) Daytime Running Light: The MX-5 does not come with DRL in US and must be adapted. I am not sure what the solution is, I believe a module is sold to fix that.
    2) Bumber 8km/h requirement: The law in Canada requires a 8km/h no damage to the bumper requirement. I have asked the dealer in the U.S. and they believe it is already compliant with the 5 miles per hour requirement. However, the RIV list the 2006 Miata as requiring changes to the bumper to meet the requirement. And that's where I am, I am not sure what is needed and what the cost would be involved.
    Anybody out there can help?
This discussion has been closed.