Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi RS4

golfmdgolfmd Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Audi
Any ideas of the approx US price of the upcoming RS4?

Comments

• raven72raven72 Member Posts: 1
    There is no official word for the US model yet, though Audi has officially released the pricing of the European version. Rumor has it that it will sell in the US for somewhere around $60k base, with the S4 still being priced around $47k. It probably won't get here until early 2006, too, with pre-ordering maybe starting 6 months before that.

I don't know if you've seen this article:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_1070.shtml
  • bmk666bmk666 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in Houston, I went to the dealership today to place a deposit on my new toy... the 2006 RS4, the price was $74K... I think it is worth the money.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's chat with Marc Trahan - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/audia4chat040605.html

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hal6hal6 Member Posts: 5
    I CHECKED WITH THE DEALER LAST WEEK. THEY ARE TAKING PRE-ORDERS WITH DELIVERY THIS TIME NEXT YEAR-NO PRICES/OPTIONS AVAILABLE YET. MUST BE WAITING FOR MORE INFO ON THE NEW M3
  • oceanblue1oceanblue1 Member Posts: 3
    The RS 4 is being released (open for order), in Great Britain for approx. L49,980 (British Pounds). Available this Fall for Delivery. If that helps any not sure on the exact conversion rate (1.5/1)...hope this helps (a little)...
  • hal6hal6 Member Posts: 5
    IF THE PRICING OF THE RS4 IS IN THE 70'S, IT WILL BE A TOUGH SALE CONSIDERING THE M3/M4 V-8 WITH AROUND THE SAME 400 HP WILL BE ABOUT 55-60. THE QUESTION IS WILL THE ALL WHEEL DRIVE BE WORTH THE $15-20000 THOUSAND PRICE DIFFERENCE?
    ANYONE?
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Hal

Turn off the Caps Lock, OK?

I feel like I'm reading a Fox News (oxymoron) breaking headline!
  • aec11aec11 Member Posts: 13
    Try $1.90 to the pound, or about $95K!
  • daveycdaveyc Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, I'm new to this forum but I just checked with my dealer last night and got the #2 spot for this time next year. Pricing is in the low to mid 70's. So I've got at least another six months to change my mind about a hundred times.
  • ian666666ian666666 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, Just put an order on an RS4. I have had a holding fee on it for about 8 weeks but Audi are now taking full orders. Cost was around £55K with all the bits and bobs on and i've been told I should get it in September. My dealer has already taken 6 orders on the RS so if you want one you have to be quick because apparently their will only be between 200 to 400 released in the UK. No demonstrators will ever be available as every car coming in will be pre-sold. Not sure if its a sales thing but even the dealer seems excited by the car......must be something special.....I hope..!
  • joemama1joemama1 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, Audi has three major problems:

1. Pricing. Audi does not have the cache to command premium pricing in the USA. If they want to beat the M3. They have to have a car that performs better in all categories AND cost less. Is this fair, no, does Audi put a lot more in their cars than BMW, yes. Should they be able to charge more, yes. But the reality is that BMW can command premium pricing...Audi cannot. Audi will not catch up to BMW until it can solve this issue. I think they cannot unless they move production out of Europe.

2. Front Wheel Drive. Audis are FWD based cars with RWD added. The weight balance (and over all weight for that matter) on BMWs is far superior to Audi. Audi has said they will never have RWD-based vehicles. Any serious sport sedan buyer will insist on a vehicle that doesn't have 60% plus of the weight on the front wheels.

3. Reliability. Audis are so complicated, they are extremely unreliable and are terrible as long term cars. I asked my mechanic who's parts cost more and he said Audi and VW are far more expensive than BMW. Sure if you go to a dealer, BMW parts are expensive, but go to a reasonable mechanic who works on Audis and BMWs and you will see the Audi parts cost a lot more.

I really hope Audi can figure it out and learn to compete with BMW, however, until they solve these issues, I think they will continue to get beat by BMW/Mercedes/Lexus.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I think your're absolutely nuts with those 3 comments.

First off...Audi has made an incredible comeback in the US over the last 5-7 years. In Europe, It's AUDI who is considered the premium brand and in some segments, Audi Outsells BMW and Mercedes combined.

Audi is thousands...sometimes 10's of thousands.... less than BMW and Mercedes high line cars.

The Bangle editions of the 5 and 7 series have been a small disaster in the states. BMW is tarnishing it's image by having to literally give away their 5 series cars with sub-vented leases because they can't command the premium pricing they once could. They don't have the prestige they once had.

And E class pricing is absurd. $65,000 for a 4 matic V6 E class? Gimme a break!. I can buy a 340hp V8 A6 quattro loaded with every option for under 60 grand. And the reliability of Mercedes over the last 5 years has been horrible. Mercedes WON"T even pay for maintenance anymore.

You can't compare most AWD systems w. Quattro. Audi's Quattro is a pro-active system. It's a true 50/50 power split with all 4 wheels getting power. It can put up to 70% of the power towards one specific wheel.

Many AWD systems on the market are not as pro-active as the Quattro. They are bascially rear or front wheel drive cars, with the other wheels getting power only when the others are slipping. It's not pro-active like quattro, but reactive instead.

Please do some more research on your claims. You make general statements, but when you look at real numbers and facts, they don't make sense.

Audi has one of the best line-ups of any high-line car company right now.

The new A3, A4, A6 & A8 are as stong as any high-line brand right now.

The RS4 is on the way and people are already putting deposits down on cars that won't even be out for a year. AUDI will sell every last one of them at 70 plus grand, and there WON'T be enough to go around.

Audi has the best-looking wagons in the business and the new Avants are on the way. The Q7 is coming, too, and it looks awesome.

It's great to be Audi right now!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    In Europe, It's AUDI who is considered the premium brand and in some segments, Audi Outsells BMW and Mercedes combined.

As a brand? I don't think so. In any one segment? Not. That research you spoke of is seriously in order here. While Audi does enjoy premium brand status in Europe so does BMW and of course Mercedes does.

Also, Audi's reliability is nothing, nothing to write home about. Some improvement in one 90 day survey doesn't say much about long term reliability and Audi is in the same boat as Mercedes.

M
  • krzys2krzys2 Member Posts: 1
    Audi wants 75K for RS4? I can't believe it. M5 is supposed to be mid-80's. A car that will annihilate RS4 is supposed to cost only 10K more? On the other hand, the new four-door M3 is supposed to be mid-60's. There is no chance in hell I would go for RS4 in those circumstances. It's gonna be either M5 or M3. Audi are out of their minds.
    Mid 80's for an M5?...we'll see. You know how BMW is with their pricing.

I wouldn't doubt if the M5 came in about 90 grand or so. A 15k difference is pretty substantial to the RS4 in the low 70's.... if that's the case.

People were complaining about the high prices for the RS6 @ 85 grand back in 2003 and were afraid they would lose their shirt if they bought one.

But the market value of a used RS6 right now is still about 65k for a nice one with low mileage. I've even seen dealers on the net ask $70,000 for a used RS6's.

I think that speaks very highly of Audi to have that high of a resale on the RS6.
  • joemama1joemama1 Member Posts: 2
    Absolutely nuts?

I think that is a little strong. I'll defer to the experts on pricing. Edmunds itself in several reviews comments on the high pricing of Audi's in the high end. I'm talking about the RS4, RS6, A8, not the A4 or A3.

In my opinion, RS4 sales (funny how if you hold the caps lock down it becomes RS$) will get spanked by the M3 just as the RS6 (didn't they stop selling that one in the US...hmmmm) will get spanked by the M5. Let''s just wait and see ;-)

I really could care less how Audi's sell in Europe. In America, reliability is terrible, parts are rediculously expensive and Audi does not have the cache of BMW or Mercedes. BTW: I totally agree with you on Mercedes...beautiful junk!

I've known several Audi (and VW) owners and the response is always the same. When the car is new and hasn't broken yet, they love it. When it is old and out of warrantee, they hate it. One of my neighbors got rid of his Allroad because it kept breaking and even though it was being fixed for free under warrantee, the inconvience it caused was too much.

A few more points. Audi Quattro: Wonderful system, probably the best. In California or out of the snow belt people could care less. Oh and it also weights so much that the gas mileage is terrible. Isn't it interesting that the Audi USA site no longer shows the window sticker for the S4 when you configure it? Maybe they don't want you to see the $3000+ gas guzzler tax? Or maybe I'm just paranoid ;-)

In my opinion, Audi will win the US just like VW will beat out Honda and Toyota (or maybe everyone will stop buying the Lexus LS430 and start buying the Pheaton for more money). It could happen, but I doubt it.
    You tend to be a bit extreme in a lot of your comments, as the gas guzzler tax is not $3000 +.

The guzzler tax is $1300 for the auto, and $1700 for the manual, if I remember correctly.

And yeah, you are paranoid!
  • revenreven Member Posts: 1
    I can't talk about the US much but I'm livinbg in Germany and orded the RS4 for 76.
    Now that's not really expensive .... I mean what else do I have ? The M5 selling for 95... if you want it with the same configuration as the RS4. (it has lots of stuff already in it.)

The new M3 ... when ever it comes. (I'm sure it will cost around 65-70 cause the model right now already costs 60.... way to much for that kind of car...)

Another point is, that I would never buy such a ugly car like the BMW 5 or 3....

So that I think the RS4 will sell fantastic in Germany.
    To the reliability I can say that the last two years audi was better than BMW and Mecedes here.

Chris
    (I'm not only an Audi fan .. I have an Mercedes G55 AMG and had an BMW ... but right now Audi is way ahaed)

P.S. The RS4 has 40%/60% on his back wheels. So it's going to be fantastic.
  • tkenesstkeness Member Posts: 1
    u can not compare the rs4 and the m3 like that, for the mere factor that ther rs4 has AWD, i am purchasing the rs4 next june for that reason alone.
    in new york u can not drive an m3 all year rou8nd however an rs4 with its insane handiling and awd is great for the snow, so the m3 isnt really an option at all..
    not to mention the natrully aspirate 420 h.p v'8 wait untill i twin turbo that hmmm....500 h.p. 525 lb tq. caint wait...
  • teds1teds1 Member Posts: 180
    You are right the m3 is not adequate for our lower new england/upper mid atlantic state whatever it is. A lot of that is due to tires however. They do sell winter tire packages for M3's but like the rest of the car, they aren't cheap. Good traction and maybe an esc sytem can be just as good as the heavier audi in snow. I would totally buy the rs4 though if I had the bucks... 4 doors man! you gotta share that power with some friends
    Autoweek just had a write-up on the RS4 in this weeks issue. They had the base price @ 78k. Considering the old RS6 was about 86 grand or so, that's pretty steep pricing for the RS4. But I have no doubt that Audi will sell every one of them, and may not have enough to go around even at that steep price.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    There are a lot of conflicting reports on price for this thing. Some say 55K, which doesn't seem believable with the current S4 being very close to that. This RS4, not that I've read more on the specs etc. is an awesome machine that I don't think will have much trouble fetching 70K. That price kinda puts it in between the M3/C55 and E55/M5/CLS55. The burning question is whether or not Audi will do a RS4 Cabriolet when the Cabrio gets its facelift early next year.

M
    That 55k is a major typo. A regular 340 hp S4 with Navigation can hit 55k.

Figure on 75-78 for the RS4. An RS4 cab would indeed be nice!
  • captain23captain23 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure how credible this is, but a recent article from car and driver stated that the new RS4 would start around 55K when it comes on our shores next spring. It does sound too good to be true though.......

here is a link for the article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=9642
    I'm a long time C&D subscriber...they're wrong, too, about the price.

The RS4 is reported to have 414 hp. The S4 has 340.
  • rrswitchrrswitch Member Posts: 2
    I am anxiously awaiting the '06 RS4, and have set up with the local dealership to pick mine up when it arrives.

In response to your staetment on adding a twin turbo, you will be hard pressed to pull that one off. The engine's compression is up around 14. You'd have to de-tune it to add turbo or to supercharge it, if I'm not mistaken. Quite a task for ANY aftermarket tuner.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I attended a motor show today and has was lucky enough to sit in the RS4. Obviously I couldn't drive it but I did evaluate it in other areas.

First of all, the sport seats are great and hold you tightly. My back was tired after walking around the displays, and the firmness of the seats really feels good.

I have never sat in Audi cars before today, so I must agree that materials quality is just as good as the reviews describe it. I sat in the A3, A4, S4, A6 and A8 and all had superb materials. Everything in the RS4 feels soft and well built.

The steering wheel has a flat bottom and looks and feels great. Very thick and it feels great when you grip it tightly.

The shifter is amazing. Short throw and feels great in your palm. It is covered in carbon fiber trim, which by the way covers everything else and looks great.

The stereo and climate controls buttons feel great but look more complicated than the Japanese cars I sat in earlier. But then, all German cars seem that way.

And the rear seat is nearly useless. Im 5"11 and couldnt really fit. The driver's seat wasn't even pushed back. The rear seat shouldnt be used, or if it is, only for small kids and cargo. An RS4 coupe would be neat.

Finding a comfortable driving position was no problem for me.

I'll post pictures soon.
  • noodlebikenoodlebike Member Posts: 1
    Word of advice for the not so rich: Buy an economical sensible family car for everyday use, and a Suzuki Hayabussa motorcycle for your thrills. This combination will cost about £8k for good second hand of each. I can annhilate any m3 or rs4 on my bussa with 0-60 in 2.8 seconds and top speed of 190mph. In fact I am quite a sick puppy because when I see M3s I play with them for a while B4 ANNHILATION, then laugh when I think how much they paid for it. The word MUG comes to mind. There is nothing more thrilling than hearing an M3 on the rev limiter just as I begin to go into the power band!!!!! :sick:
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Can I be the first to call you noodlehead after you put your bike onto a tree at 160 mph? :P
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    How do you hold on? say three seconde to sixty...Man that`s fast Tony
  • _matty_matty Member Posts: 28
    That bike had better be faster than my S4 or I may be inclined to bump into your bike and send you flying. Motorcycles are extremely dangerous when sharing the road with cars etc. and I don't know anyone (including myself) who hasn't wrecked on one at least once. Of course motorcycles are faster. Pound for pound they have much more power; but they lack basic comfort because you're hunched over all the time, they lack doors to keep you buffered from other vehicles and a windshield to keep the rain off your face. It snows where I live as well and if you want to take that bike out on a snowy road be my guest. Bikes vs. cars is a silly comparison.

As for the RS4, I would love to own one but there are 3 major issues that will keep it from happening.

1) The price is in Porsche territory and you might as well just get a Porsche if all you're looking for is a fast car that's not for every day use.

2) It's not an every day car. The terrible gas mileage will translate to something in the neighborhood of a $4,000 gas guzzler tax. EPA tests say the RS4 gets 10/20 mpg, but in reality that translates to more like 8/18 which is right down there with the vehicle only a true jackass would drive- a Hummer. It's not the type of car you would want to park in a grocery store lot, though it is more subtle than a bourgeois "look at me" Mercedes or BMW.

3) Reviews concerning road tests say that the overall ride leaves something to be desired, especially at high speed.
    What kind of 414 hp AWD Porsche can you get for 75-78 grand?

Please, the new Cayman will be about 70 grand decently equipped. It's very easy to spend 100-110k on a 911, and your talking 120k to get 400hp and AWD out of Porsche.

Car magazines test pre-production versions that will undoubedtly be tweaked before final production.

The 4.2 V8 on the RS4 will have direct injection, which helps in fuel economy as on the A4's and A6's.
    Actually, upon further consideration, who am I kidding. Of course I want an RS4. It's one incredible automobile. I was glancing at Porsche prices the other day as well and the base price on many of the new models is around 78K. That's the number I saw not realizing that with options (and they don't even sell them without tons of options) they do end up costing 100k+.

I'll ask the dealer about the price as I'm still planning to buy a '06 S4 later this month, and if they say that the RS4 will only be about 10-12K more you bet I'll sign up for one right then and there. If they tell me something like 80K FIRM though I'll wince for sure and it will be a real tough decision.

As far as the gas mileage, I guess that if I can spring for a car like the RS4, money for gas is a non issue anyway.

If someone here gets quoted a legitimate MSRP for the '06 RS4 please let me know. So far all I have heard are guesstimates.
    According to a Consumer Reports magazine I read at the store today, the estimated price for the RS4 is 65K. I can only assume this is a base price, but I would hope that optional features in the S4 would come standard on the RS4. This is just wishful thinking though because if the RS4 is 65K loaded I will sign up for one tomorrow. If I could get one for 70K or less out the door I would be thrilled.
    The 25 years of Quattro S4 is 62k. No way you're going to get the RS4 for less than 70k. 75-78 is my estimate.
  • njoy1njoy1 Member Posts: 1
    Just a small update... The Audi RS4 is going to go on sale in Germany for a Price Tag of (69,000 Euros).. Of course this excludes the few thousand Euros that you may want to spend to add a few small features such as the DVD-Navigation-Etc. Package which is about 2000 Euros.... But another thing that you may want to look into which i am doing myself as i am really finializing my pick on this car to buy soon as it comes out is the rear window option... I read that it is standard manually operated rear windows... I hope i can pay a bit more and get it automatic....

But finally and surely said,,, I would rather have An RS4 over An M3 anyday... another thing... The RS4 should not be compared to a regular M3... That would be the S4
    But for the RS4.. It goes in Class with M3 CSL... And I think i would still take the Audi since I know it has far more advance Technology and A 4.2 engine... :P... So BMW will have to be in my rear view for the time being...

NJOY

(( IF ANYONE KNOW IF THE OPTION OF THE REAR WINDOWS CAN BE UPGRADED TO AUTOMATIC. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.. AND YES THE PRICE IS AS ACURATE AS BEING IN THE AUDI DEALER SHIP IN GERMANY ))
  • audiman74audiman74 Member Posts: 1
    Just a reminder that in Europe, the pricing scale is not at all the same as the North American. Just to give you an idea. A few years back (1992) I paid $24,000 for a fully equiped Honda Accord and the same model sold for $55,000 in Europe.
    Audi released a memo to dealers about pricing, and it said the car would be priced in the low 70's for the US. I don't know what the gas guzzler tax will be on the RS4.

There won't be many options, probably just the navigation and a few others. So 75-78 grand seems right for the RS4.

I'm disappointed that US RS4 won't have the cool-looking flat bottom steering wheel. Black is the only color choice for the interior from what I hear.
  • wjsmileywjsmiley Member Posts: 7
    Based on the current exchange rate:

69,000 Euros = 81,300 US Dollars
  • munchenturbo1munchenturbo1 Member Posts: 2
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can only by Rs4/6 in automatic in North America?
    The new 2007 RS4's will be 6 speed manual only (as of right now) for the US market. The up-coming S6/S8 will be automatic only in the states.
    I couldn't wait. I bought a new 2006 S4 Sedan at the beginning of December. It came with DVD, sunshades, premium package, audio package, cold weather package, carbon trim and high performance tires. I paid $52,800 + tax. The dealer said that the 2006 S4's with a manual tranny have a 60/40 rear/front differential, same as the new RS4. While at the dealer, I asked about the RS4 and they said there would be a significant dealer mark-up on it and to expect the sticker price to be near 70K with options when they come out. Add sales tax and that $81,300 figure posted above is not too far off. You could find one for 75-77K, depending on the sales tax in your state, but if you wait until later in the year that dealer mark-up will be gone and you may be able to get one for closer to 70K. That was what the dealer said, by the way. I know I'll be perfectly happy with my S4 for now, but I will certainly be test driving an RS4 as soon as it becomes available, if only to see what it's like. I can already tell that it's not an every day car though. Road tests have said that it's not as smooth as the S4 and a long trip in the car may be a little rough on the behind. As of now though, my S4 is the only car I own and I'm 100% happy with it. 2 things though-

1) Think really carefully before you buy a black car. I know, everyone has heard this before, but they really are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to keep clean. They do look good when they're clean, but I think this will be my last black car.

2) Why anyone would ever want an automatic S4 is beyond me. You NEED to have full control of a car like that unless you don't like driving over 70mph. If that's the case though, why buy an S4.

The up-coming S6/S8 will be automatic only in the states.

That REALLY sucks. High performance cars with automatic trannys are a sick joke.
  • mig21mig21 Member Posts: 3
    RS4. 3rd on the list! Mine is coming in late May. Daytona grey. Dealer (Champion Audi of Coral Springs, FL) says that all the cars they're getting are coming with black on black interiors and totally loaded (the only choice I had to make was between XM and sirrius– for satellite radio). They are telling me the price (loaded) is in the "low 70's". When I pressed them on this, they said under 74K.

I have owned an M3 for 4 years and had lots of problems with fit and finish. I hear Audi does a much better job with quality of interior finishes. Plus the M3 sounds like a tin can. The 420 8cyl. in the rs4 should solve that problem!

Can't wait to drive the rs4!

Psyched!
    low 70's. just paid the dealer today. delivery in may
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    In reply to your post, they actually DO have a car that performs better than a competing BMW AND costs less.

This car is the A8/A8L. Although it has a horsepower disadvantage next to the 750, it is still a significantly more luxurious, light, technologically advanced*, and timeless automobile. It is also a quicker car because of its aluminum space frame- it weighs roughly 400 pounds less than a 750i/li. The A8 costs $68K, while the 750i costs $71K. The A8L costs $71K, and the 750li is $74,000. Although not significant for this class, it is a nice difference in cost.

;)
    Just in from a few gossip websites...

Audi will be introducing the RS4 Avant, of course, AND the new RS4 CABRIOLET, to the U.S! The Cabriolet should start in the high-70s, and the Avant in the mid-70s. Both new models have the sedan's engine, with the updated front and rear fascias on the Cabriolet. They all have the new 19" rims, and the Cabriolet has a five-second reduction on the soft-top operation compared to my '05 S4 Cabriolet.

I was drooling... maybe I can get a used one in 3 years!

;)
  • bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone have a no kidding delivery date? Even the Audi dealerships I've talked to don't seem to know when it will be here, but they're happy to take a down-payment. I saw some of the posts about pricing, but it doesn't appear that's locked in either??
    I'm getting the first car in Florida. May 20th
  • needrs4cabneedrs4cab Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    Could you tell me where you got this info. I'd really like to order an rs4 cab as soon as possible. thanks
    The base price will actually be very low $60,000's, which is translated from a European magazine. The Cabriolet will actually be less than the Avant- at around $66,000 and $69,000, respectively. The sedan should be out next month or so, with the Cabriolet and Avant out in early to mid summer. (These are from an article on the Geneva Show)

The Cabriolet especially is a bargain next to the CLK55 AMG Convertible, which is $82,000, and not as fast.
This discussion has been closed.