Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Corvette Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    It is nice to get the exact car you want if you can. There is also nothing wrong with going for a bargain but make sure you will be happy with it long term. If you are going for an automatic then the 06 A6 is a better choice than the A4 in the 05; if you are the type who wants to control the gear selection at times.

Also note that you will take about a $10K hit (off MSRP) as soon as you drive off the lot in a new 05. So don't be afraid to ask for a better price.
  • jdanieljdaniel Member Posts: 4
    Your last point was something I was thinking about this afternoon, so I ran the numbers on NADA. Average retail equals what this dealer is quoting me if I enter the imaginary mileage at 8K. With only that theoretical "first mile", (or actually anything up to 8K), the retail value is $450 higher than they are asking.

I think I am going to pass on the automatic idea; now just trying to decide on the magnetic ride or Z51, and the color. The '05 has the Z51, and is black, and I don't know if I don't want a little more comfort, and a little less detailing needed! :)
    The main performance feature of the Z51 that you will notice off the track, besides the firmer ride, is the tighter gear ratios for the MN6.

I had some initial reservations about the F55 but after a year I have no regrets. The mag shocks really do work as advertised.

I find silver to be pretty low maintenance; the car can be pretty dirty and still look respectable from a distance. I still have a soft spot for white. White has proven to be one of the least popular C6 colors though.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Question on Z51 vs Mag Ride comes down to what you expect to do with the car. I got Z51 on my '02 and didn't have any idea that I could take the car to race tracks, except for maybe the Drags which I did a couple times. But, having the Z51 on road courses is amazing compared to the alternatives, not quite Z06 but close. If you believe that you aren't going to do any track driving beyond maybe one or two driving classes (and don't think you will get hooked) and only want to tour in the car the Mag Ride would be great.
    Randy
    and the winner is...

the new '05!! (choice #1) Picked it up this morning, very nice!!! :)
    Congratulations on the new ride, enjoy the experience and let us know if you get it out to any driving classes, for me it developed a lot of confidence in knowing what to do next without having to over think the process. They are a blast but can get away real easy if you aren't watching what you do. I had to try to get a kid on track yesterday to switch from thinking of the throttle as an on/off switch to treating it like a woman, keep it happy and you will get long term dividends. :blush: Have fun!
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I am in the process of looking to buy a new 06 or even an 07 Corvette. I live in west Tennessee and have been talking to a few Chevrolet dealers. I would like to ask you guys a few questions, such as how much over invoice is a fair amount to give for a new Corvette and is the museum delivery pick up worth the extra price. This is my 2nd Corvette and I need all of the help I can get. I thought about going to kerbeck Corvette and buying one but I will have to fly up there and drive it back which would be a good road trip for me and my son to do. I know things have slowed down for GM and feel now might be a good time to buy. Thanks for your help.
    There seem to be dealers on the internet that are taking orders for less than MSRP so paying local over MSRP seems to be less than an optimum solution. As far as going to pick up the car, I've done it twice and find it to be a good way to get the breakin done all in one exercise. Then again it doesn't make much difference where geographically you order if you decide to take delivery at the CM. All I hear about that is positive and makes it that much more special, especially if you share it with family. Do a few web searches on Corvette and I'm sure you will find several resources for big dealers giving discounts.
    Randy
    Does anyone out there know any specific Corvette dealers web pages and do you think I will have any trouble getting service done on my new Corvette from my local dealer if I buy from another dealer?
    The problem with responding to question 1 is that the Edmunds TOS don't like you mentioning other message boards so you are sort of on your own. The dealers I'm aware of from other sources are Kerbeck, Maxie Price and Les Stanford.

As to getting service, I brought two C5's an '02 and an '04 home from Fichtner Chevrolet in Montana to the San Francisco Bay area and neither of the dealers I've gone to for service ever had any issues. That was even true of the extended GMPP warranty that I also got in Montana.
    Randy
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    On the issue of Museum pick-up, I would highly recommend it. Although I did not get mine that way, I have done volunteer work at some events held at the Museum which is about 75 miles from where I live. Gary Cockriel and his crew that do the Museum delivery have been universally praised for their work. All whom I have talked to have been extremely pleased with the process, the tour, etc., that comes with picking the vehicle up at the Museum. If I get another Vette it will be via the Museum program. See the NCM website for more details. :shades:
    I have been shopping all of the local Chevy dealers for about a week and the news is not very good. All but one say that they only sell MSRP. The dealer I have bought many cars and trucks from say they well sell me one for $2000.00 over invoice and as far as they know I will be the first one that they have ever sold one at that price. And on top of all that most say they are not sure that they can even get one. I sent a request to Kerbeck but haven`t heard anything yet. I thought GM was on hard times but you never would know it from the experience I am having. HELP!!
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    If you can get an 06 C6 for $2k over, you should RUN, not walk, to the dealer. I monitored Kerbeck prices for the past year and the only time they came close to $2k over was at the end of the model year (and I don't think you'll find anybody cheaper than Kerbeck). Good luck!
    You can always find a better deal but the question is how much time you have to spend to get it.

Based upon the past, it is about time for GM to come up with some new incentives. The C6 supply has exceeded the demand in most areas to so a $1000 incentive would warm things up a bit.
    Time is one thing I have plenty of so I will just wait a while a see what happens. Maybe I will run upon a good used Vette but I tell you after driving a C6 I don`t think I would be happy with anything else.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    The Kerbeck site says $3500-$4500 off on 2006 Vettes. They have them up the wazoo number wise. Even CorvetteConti has some discounted on his site.
  • palaltpalalt Member Posts: 25
    Thought I'd give you guys some feedback about 06 pricing in the Chicagoland area. I've recently been shopping for a new 06 Coupe. On reasonably loaded, in stock Corvettes, ($54K MSRP) I had two dealers in the $4500-$5000 discount range. After the gremlins in my head keeping me awake for two nights, rationalizing spending $50K for what would actually be my 5th vehicle, with annual use being in the 2k mile range, I made a less expensive decision.

I just purchased a 2004 C5, Commemorative Edition Coupe with only 7K miles for $35K. I have the original $52K window sticker, Mag Sel Ride, Electron Blue with Light Oak Interior. Fell in love with the interior color. I felt this better served my desire for another Corvette yet minimized my potential depreciation. Seems like 2001-2004 C5's are advertised within a few thousand $ of each other.

Just thought I'd add my experience as a discount reference for anyone shopping for new 06's and wondering about available discounts.

Also, their seems to be available, a number of used 2005's that are GM Buybacks. It was explained to me that these cars were replaced due to lemon law type conditions. Obviously, the dealers claimed the problems were resolved and the cars had full remaining warranty, but I was reluctant to get involved. I found two of these at one dealer alone, along with a Cadillac CTS-V that was interesting. The cars came from a GM Auction and it seems the dealer was legally bound to expose their history. A good thing for consumers, as a buyer can't help but wonder why a 5 month old vehicle with like 4K miles is for sale.

Happy Motoring fellow Corvette lovers!!
    Correction to my previous comment. My 04 is LeMans Blue, not Electron Blue. It's a Commemorative Edition, to the 24 Hour at LeMans win for Corvette.
    Can anyone tell me why the only interior color you can get on a new corvette coupe is ebony?
    Ha! You seemed to notice the same thing I did while looking at 06's. Corvette's actually are available with Ebony, Cashmere, Titanium, or Red interior. I've seen both the Cashmere and Titanium and both are very nice. My thought is that most dealers either order the majority with Ebony because they think the majority of buyers want Ebony, OR, everyone is buying all the lighter colored interiors and all they're left with is Ebony! My thought was that any car I saw with Ebony interior, either Titanium Grey or Cashmere (Tan) would have looked better. Keep looking!
  • ajpbf7ajpbf7 Member Posts: 92
    Does anyone know the money factor and residual for an 24 & 36 month lease with 10 or 12K per year on a base corvette? Just want to see if they have changed from about 7% and 54% residual. Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Hi, ajpbf7..

Car_man is the expert on leasing..

Ask your question here: Chevrolet Corvette: Lease Questions , and he will be sure to see it..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• romiebromieb Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 C6 convertible with 3LT pkg.,power top,magnetic ride,polished wheels for $55,499,MSRP was $60,570.I traded in a 2001 Miata SE and paid $42,500 difference.It only took 5 minutes to make the deal and I'm extremely pleased.A few 2005 leftovers for $6000 off MSRP was available at a different dealer.
  • txasylumtxasylum Member Posts: 1
    Is there a site online where I can enter a VIN and find out what the actual costs of the vehicle are? Also, what the dealer holdback and all is.

Bob
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Well, you can get real close. Edmunds can get you an invoice number and MSRP of any car with any given options on that particular car. They won't do it by VIN #, though.

GM's holdback is 3%. I wouldn't plan on making that part of the deal, though. Unless you are at the end of a model year, or the new 'vette coming down the pike is a major redesign (like the '05s were), I've yet to see any dealer go back of invoice for a 'vette. Matter of fact, I haven't seen one go for invoice (except when there's a major redesign and factory money on the table).

A new 'vette deal will be above invoice.

Depending you where you're located, the best new 'vette prices I've seen are at Kerbeck.com. They're around the Atlantic City area.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Does anyone think that GM will have any discounts at the end of the year on Corvettes or low intrest rates? I`m not sure if there were any last year or not.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... ** just purchased a 2004 C5, Commemorative Edition Coupe with only 7K miles for $35K ...**

You did good on that purchase ... real good, enjoy.!

Terry.
    Kind of depends on the economy and other unknowns, like how consumer confidence is going, war, etc. While the big dealers are discounting there are still Vettes on the showroom floor at local dealers with markups and they are moving them, at what price points I wouldn't guess. The C5 didn't start discounting big until after 9/11 and the economy tanked so I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. As long as the volume dealers will take them from the GM plant and move them at dealer discounts, then GM has no real pressure to add incentives. This is only the 2nd model year on the C6 and it is getting good press still while the Z06 is back ordered up to a couple years at some dealers. Maybe '07 will bring better deals. IMHO

BTW, Congrats on the low miles LeMans model, great deal.
  • tenzotenzo Member Posts: 24
    hi..
    I am in Chicago land and ready to buy a 06 C6. you said you found two dealer which offered you 4-5K discount. Could you tell me who they are and name of sales person plz?
    Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The two Chicagoland dealers quoting the discounts were:
    Bill Jacobs in Joliet & Ogden Chevrolet in Downers Grove. Both consider themselves high volume Corvette dealers and have a variety of late model used as well. Ogden was the one that was pushing the GM Buyback cars.

BTW. Thanks to all that have commented favorably about my 04 Commemorative Edition purchase price. I'm really happy with it. My seventh Corvette since the early 70's.

This weekend is the Chevy/VetteFest in Chicago. Good place to spend more money.
    If you are looking for a very clean, used, 'vette, as an alternative to taking it in the shorts from a local dealer, you should check out Corvette Palace here in Austin, TX. I did not go that way, but only because I bought my leftover brand new '05 at almost $8000 under invoice. :)

CP has a website, and some phenomenal cars, very low miles, and good prices. The owner stated that 95% of his business is out of state, so getting it to you would not be a problem. Check out the pics of some of his sales....
  • lemanns06convlemanns06conv Member Posts: 2
    Hello, cp website? What is that website addy? $8000 under sticker is the best deal I have heard. Wow. I have been researching, $4k off coupes and 5 off convertibles is the best I can find -- Kerbeck and (Les Stanford Chev). I will be purchasing this summer. I would appreciate any ideas from those who have experience ordering the c6. Someone posted the idea that 07's maybe cheaper? Does anyone know of any changes to the 07 model year? Thank you in advance for any info.

Folks, don't bother with your local dealers if you are looking to order. Most don't have the allocation, and they are a huge ripoff. :(
  • lemanns06convlemanns06conv Member Posts: 2
    Found website. Reread your message 8K off an 05, now I understand. Forgot to add in my previous message. A broker I spoke with promised more like $4600 off MSRP for a coupe. Haven't heard yet how much off for conv. Doesn't make sense to me that a broker could get a better deal for me than a high volume dealer. Any ideas? Has anyone out there ordered from Kerbeck or Les? kerbeck hasn't returned my calls. How was your experience? What kind of real delivery times are there?

I will most likely do the museum delivery, but up here in the northland, our vette driving days are limited to 6-7 months, so if I can find one for a great deal I will pull the trigger on it. Also 07 production begins in July so ordering now, may result in me picking up the last 06.

I would appreciate to hear any real build times others have experienced. Dealers promise 6-8 weeks, but who knows.
    Thanks again -- Corvette is the ONLY true American sports car, and I am anxiously awaiting my C6 :D
  • lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    In regard to your question about delivery times, it depends on the allocation provided to each dealer. I ordered my 06 on 2/7/06 via the internet with Spitzer Chevrolet (Corvette Conti), car rolled off the line on 3/14, title transferred from dealer to me on 3/29, and picked up at Corvette Museum on 4/5. Cars are held at factory for 2 weeks for a quality hold time. I had to wait a week for a delivery slot. So 5 weeks from order to roll of line and 7 weeks for earliest delivery at Museum. I understand if the car is delivered, they have to wait until the transporter if filled for your dealer area. So this may also be an addition time to wait. However, it seemed like an eternity for me!

Mine is a Monterey Red coupe, 6 speed auto, F55 Mag suspension, polished wheels, 3LT, Navigation, On Star. Love it!
    The big factor is the dealer's order slot. If the dealer has a current order slot then things go as quick as noted above but if they either have other sales or are using slots for the show room floor then you can get shuffled to the back of the line. The dealer I've used twice in Montana, Fichtner does about 2 per month which is a large allocation but nothing compared to the really bid dealers. Some local dealers here have less than one allocation per month.
  • brianapalbrianapal Member Posts: 18
    You get the choice of 4 interior colors. Ebony (black), grey, red, and cashmere (light brown).
    I just ordered an 07, 3LT, LeMans Blue ext and cashmere interior. For 07 you can get dual colored interior. For 06 that was only available in the Z06.
  • toquinhotoquinho Member Posts: 28
    First I want to write that its wonderful to have honest support about Corvettes. I'm already impressed with you Corvette owners and am eager to join the club

Second, I'm looking to buy an 07 manual coupe since I can no longer order 06s. I'm leaning towards a stripped down model as I don't feel many of the interior upgrades warrant the extra expense, but... I want to hear from you.

Is the Z51 package a good investment for someone who will not be racing his car? My only racing is onto/off freeways and an occasional burst for the thrill of it. I'm leaning towards buying the Z51 as I don't think the ride is too harsh and every review I've seen of the car is with the Z51 package and I'm worried the standard will lose some accelaration.

Third, I'm leaning towards 1LT interior, but like the extra air bags and support of the 2LT seats. Is that worth an extra $1k?

Fourth, let's talk prices... I'm in the San Francisco bay area. Dealers here will go down to $2k off MSRP quickly on existing 06s. Seems like they'll do the same on upcoming 07s. I've have internet offers at $3500 off an 07 (pre pricing -- pricing is not yet released). I'm waiting to find $4500 to put down money for the pre-order. Thoughts?
  • jmzootjmzoot Member Posts: 7
    I was quoted like 41500 on a car that retails for 45740...for an 06.. and the discount should be very similiar on an 07 if you can find someone who accepts GM Suppiler discount....

Look into getting a certificate and finding a dealer who accepts it.. I believe Rick at Les Stanford Chevrolet accepts it... check the corvetteforum and you will find tons of info on GMID discounts.... That 41500 was for an 06 with only auto option.. but as you add in more options you can get even more off MSRP...but I don't like the options being all bundled together....
  • toquinhotoquinho Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll look into the supplier program. I'm not aware of my employer being a GM supplier (Apple Computer), but maybe that doesn't matter. If anyone has more suggestions, please do share. :-)
  • jmzootjmzoot Member Posts: 7
    Check around the corvetteforum.. look up a name Richard Ott..he seems to give out alot of GMID certs... I used to have a share available...not sure if they expired...but if I do I would be glad to hook you up
    Just some thoughts, since what's above is good direction for other sources. I have a Z51 manual and here's how I got there. I figured that over half the cars are still sold with auto trans. Of those that go to manual they want some performance and the Z51 makes the car sort of fit together in my opinion, ie., might get better resale as a future 6 speed buyer may want that setup. I too didn't see much beyond going up on ramps as the reason for getting the Z51 but when I took one driving class I was sure glad I had it, and driving classes are recommended.

As to other options, I don't think if you get the HUD you will be disappointed, it makes a difference. After 3 days in my car the next thing I drove I was looking for the HUD and bummed that it wasn't there. The sport seats are worth something extra and I don't think you can be too safe so extra air bags would always be worth it.

I too am near SF and the local dealers don't seem to do as well as going on the internet. I've gotten both mine and the wife's Corvettes at Fichtner Chevy in Laurel, MT. Even with the cost of the trip I still saved plenty and after getting mine that was one of the factors in my wife wanting one, another trip back through Yellowstone which we did slower and enjoyed more. Good luck!
    Randy
  • ssmerocketssmerocket Member Posts: 6
    I have inquired about a 2006 coupe with 6 speed 3LT, chrome wheels,On-star,& NAV with a list of $53,875. The local dealer is offering it for $49990 (3885 off)which seems to be a good offer for a local car.(no transport costs from NJ or Ohio). Invoice would be $47,693 and dealer holdback is $1311. Anyone have any experience pushing a little harder on a deal like this? I have seen mention of $4500 off and I know Kerbeck has that advertised but I'm sure local dealers differ. Thanks!
    I would think any offer above invoice would get their attention. The 07s are on the way and in 2-3 weeks the 06s will officially be last year's model. Make a low ball offer and negotiate from there if you have the time and want to play the game. Drag it out over a few days.

I would say 5-6K off is more reasonable for a car that will be a year old next month.
    FYI,

If you live near Wisconsin one of the internet dealers is going $7K-7.5K off remaining 06s in stock. They have a bunch of coupes and verts (25-28 cars).

Ernie von Schledorn Chevrolet

Sort of gives you a market vs demand reading in that area of the US. You can always fly in and drive a new C6 home. The GM warranty rides with you.
    Dealers like that, which may not have set up to market outside their own area, are the source for many agressive dealers who market over the internet. The cars sit for some time without extra sales effort and then move to dealers that look for ways to expand their allocations by getting another credit for a sale. Also, they had to get the allocation in the first place so they may have lost someone that was leading that effort and don't have anyone in place to follow-up. Jumping on deals like that can save a lot if you can find the right mix on options.
  • ssmerocketssmerocket Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the input! I was able to get just under $5k off. The car is the exact color and equipment I would have ordered. As you know searching inventories for the exact car you want can be tough. So I got a custom ordered car without the hassle of allocation and wait time or out of state pickup(I live in Florida)! I take delivery today, and plan a road trip to Georgia next week with my son.
    (or should I drive my 2001 Maxima??)
    ... or should I drive my 2001 Maxima?

Always love a sense of humor. You may not realize yet how many smiles you have ahead of you. Enjoy the trip!
    :shades: Glad you got exactly what you wanted.

I have a road trip scheduled for this weekend. Should I take my van or the C6 :confuse:
  • ultraman19ultraman19 Member Posts: 24
    I ordered my '06 Convertible on May 2, 2006 and took delivery on May 31st, 2006. The build date(week) was May 22, 2006. I have owned 18 new and used Corvettes and this is the best one of all. Before ordering, I had never driven a C6.

I have never been in a Vette that is as comfortable, quiet, and so much fun. I'm impressed anew with every drive. I ordered a 3LT, Z51, 6sp. and paid $50,780(MSRP $57,280). The '07 new pricing would have the MSRP at $60,090 for the same package-however,power roof is included with the 3LT in '07.

My wife doesn't like 6sp. cars(can't drive and doesn't like the shifting motion) and so I've always been the only driver(usually alone). Cars are utilitarian to her, BUT she loves this Vette. Almost daily, she shares how pretty this one is. It's Victory Red with Cashmere Interior. What makes this so interesting is that all but one of my Vettes has been Red/Ebony and she's never made a comment on their beauty before this one.

At least to this point, I have not experienced any problems with shifting, brake or tire noise or even much cabin noise. My last Vette was a Z06 and it was dificult to have a peaceful, umwinding drive, because the road noise screamed in your ears.

I'm still "breaking it in" so I'm not driving hard, but it does not seem to have the performance of the old Z06.

I wish I would have ordered the power top.( Before ordering, I talked to six current owners that have had problems with their power tops and each one said they wished they had ordered manual tops. They got stuck in mid operation and they could not get them to go up or down. They continually had to use the cabling in the trunk and all were livid).

Is the C6 Z51 package the same as the standard suspension on the old Z06's?

Does anyone have experience with a supercharger on a C6?