Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Corvette Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Golfing buddy is looking to cut a deal on an '05 coupe. He's thinking of driving from SW OH all the way the Atlantic City (I guess that's where this dealer is) and back. Has anyone bojught from them and are they really that good? Just curious!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I only have web feedback and the contacts have been made through a Corvette specific site so can't say for sure how they respond to those over the phone or who drop by. From the http://www.kerbeck.com/ site they have lots of verts but very few coupes left from the '05 production that they are offering big discount on. The Coupe inventory is larger than what they say gets the big discount, so it's all about negotiation. Personally I've loved getting the deal set over the web and then only doing paper work in the dealer showroom, being held hostage when they are trying to squeeze the last nickle is really a pain in my book.
    Randy
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Congrats, take deep breaths and practice smiling to loosen up the muscles because you are going to be doing a lot of smiling when you start driving that vert.
  • glhendr1glhendr1 Member Posts: 33
    that's right...6 weeks and 2,000 miles later and I haven't even thought about breaking my smile. The looks and attention is awesome and I love the comments that keep coming from everywhere. Only one draw back: Every young kid on the road, whether they are driving a honda, mustang or mercedes wanna race me. While I've been tempted, I'm to old for doing stupid things like that anymore.
    the wife loves it when the young boys are grinning and point out the Vette while getting in or out of the MB or BMW. It's almost like performing a public service and letting kids know there is a 'Dark Side', from the perspective of their parents. :)
    That's where the after market exhaust and x-pipe come in handy. ;)
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Zowie--I was just looking at Kerbeck and they had a 2005 Coupe for $39.9K or $5k off a Vert. Wow!! Who says size doesn't matter? lol It does in the car business. :shades:
  • trdemilletrdemille Member Posts: 1
    what dealership did you order yours from? Thanks, Tami
  • dkp33dkp33 Member Posts: 1
    In August of '05 I gave my local chevrolet dealership a $1000 deposit for a 2006 corvette convertible. At the time, the 06 pricing was not available so a deal was worked for $2500 off whatever MSRP was going to be. I checked in with the dealership a week ago and all they could tell me was that chevrolet had accepted the order and that they could not give me a build date. The dealership guaranteed me that they had allocation and that it would be 8-12 weeks for delivery. My question is what can I do to ensure that I am not getting jerked around? Is there some kind of tracking number or build number that the dealer should be able to give me? I am getting concerned due to '06 convertibles showing up at other dealers although the only '06s that they have received is one coupe and one Zo6
    The dealer gets a report that shows what allocations they have coming; I think it is over 30 days out. Ask to see the report, they know when they will get a C6 allocation. Every Thursday the dealer gets his assigned/scheduled C6 allocation(s) for the next target production week (approx 4-6 weeks in the future) and the order has to be placed by the following Tuesday or he loses the allocation(s)

Your order number has a status/event number assigned to it by GM that changes as your order moves through the production process

STATUS EVENT CODES
    1100-Order placed at dealer
    1101-Order accepted by GM
    2001-Order generated to dealer
    2005-Order replaced with GM Prospec order
    2050-Order changed
    2500-Order sent to production, preferenced
    3000-Order accepted by production control
    3100-Order available to sequence (now the tpw becomes more stable)
    3300-Order selected for production by assembly plant
    3400-Order broadcasted for production
    3800-Vehicle produced
    4150-Vehicled invoiced to dealer
    4200-Vehicle shipped
    5000-Vehicle delivered to dealer
    6000-Vehicle delivered to customer

Note, that 1100 and 1101 just means the order was entered into the system. Any dealer can enter an order even if they will never get an allocation. GM doesn't do anything to stop this practice. As you can see things aren't real until you get to 3000 which means the dealer has an allocation, it was assigned to your order, and the factory has scheduled it to be built. So if your order gets status 3100 on Tuesday if will take 30 days to show up.

I went through the order game with a local dealer. They took my order telling me they had an allocation hoping they could pickup an allocation from another dealer or stall me until the end of the year when they might get another allocation. After 60 days of pounding sand I figured out the game. Luckily I was able to find a better deal with another dealer on an in-stock car.
  • flugelflugel Member Posts: 34
    Can one buy a corvette new with the "GMS" program now? someone in our group mentioned this but my local dealer said that all employee prices for all customers ended on Sept. 30th and "Corvette was never on GMS program!!

Please give me more details. I'm in D.C. area.

One other question, how bad is it getting in and out with top up for someone who has serious back problems (and sciatica) and who is about 60 lbs overweight?

I'm thinking that the side bolsters will probably be my biggest obstacle?

Thanks, Reddog
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I just took delivery of my asiatic blue Z06 today. I ordered this car back on July 6. I personally drove to Bowling Green and picked out everything I wanted on it. When I placed the order, they said they were backordered 2 1/2 months. Here it is October and I'm just taking delivery. That aside, I love this car. It's light years ahead of the my '04 Z06. Just sold it for $37,000 with 9100 miles on it( it to was a factory order.) My new Z06 cost me roughly 70k with all the extras. they knocked a few grand off for paying cash. A guy pulled up next to me as I was coming from the dealer in his wimpy 911 Turbo S and decided early not test his luck. I've already got the Borla exhaust( I know it already has a decent exhaust, but it's never enough, right fellas?) and the K+N coming as I type this post. Hypertech says they will have the Programmer 4 ready in about a month. I'm looking to make around 600hp without superchargers and all that crap. I'll keep you posted .
    Don't you mean 40k more. Yea, because the other 20k will go into servicing that money pit. I should know as I've owned 3. All were great vehicles--- When they ran

Porsche-- almost laughable.
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    Ernie Von Schledern in Random Lake WI.
    We received a order number from the dealer that does seem to match the numbers in the posting.
    The number we received is JNXC29
    Just for the record, I too had an order number for several months, the real issue is the status code that says the order is being worked on at the factory. The dealer 'sequenced' my order, but they did it right behind the orders for what they wanted to fill out the show room stock and mine never got to the factory, so I pulled it.
    As noted already you need the status code assigned to the order number.

Any GM dealer should be able to look up the status code using your order number. Your dealer should give you this code if you ask for it.
  • monzrphmonzrph Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am ready to buy my first brand new corvette.. i had the dealership order the car for me and was told it was going to take 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. i asked about financing and told them i have a perfect beacon (sp?) score. i want to pay what they pay for financing.. they told me the lowest %age i would pay is 5.9 .. with my exc credit, shouldn't i be able to pay what they pay? they told me the rate is set and they can't change it..
    Who did you finance through? If it was GMAC, then the dealer has to go by what GMAC financed you at. I would get a second quote from my own bank. Depending on which C6 you get and the cost, 5.9% may not be so bad after all. A close friend of mine got a C6 Z51 conv. and the cost was $56,600 and he is paying a rate of 6.3% through GMAC. His Beacon score was a 740. However, you can also have to much credit, as was the case with him. $1,600,000 home, $22,000 in credit cards, $210,000 RV. It all ads up. However, if all is paid on time, you should have no problem.
  • monzrphmonzrph Member Posts: 2
    i haven't financed yet.. just getting a feel for what the dealership will offer me.. it was at potamkin chev in hialeah. the sales manager whipped out a book of percentages for each chev and showed me that the corv was "STND" which meant standard. I shouldn't have to pay more than what they pay if i have a perf score, right? i don't have too much credit either. also, how much should i haggle with the msrp? i'm such a rookie at this ;)
    You can haggle a bunch but at a local dealer you are bidding against the next guy who wants that production slot and he may be willing to pay. On the internet you can find dealers that will discount if you take the time there instead of letting the local salesman take up time you could use getting a much better deal.

As to paying what they pay based on credit score, I'm betting they are trying to make money so are going to get a spread, large or small, they want something. There are no rules so it is a matter of research and finding the best source, like a Credit Union is some cases.

Randy
  • socalh2oskiersocalh2oskier Member Posts: 8
    Try CapitalOneAutoFinance.com I just bought a 2006 Vette financed through them and my rate was 5.25%. Total time to complete the application was less than 5 minutes, and approval came less than 10 minutes later.
  • socalh2oskiersocalh2oskier Member Posts: 8
    Check around. I placed an order with a dealer who gave me $500 under MSRP for late November delivery. Then I started looking on the internet and found the exact car I wanted and purchased it for $2300 under MSRP. I found plenty of dealers out there who were willing to go at least $2000 under MSRP.
    Just looked at a site and saw a 2005 Blue and a 2005 DSOM convertible that were around $6k off MSRP. Dealer got them from dealers unable to move them and I expect they were up on snow country. Deals are out there if you look.
    Randy
    Ordered on 9/12/05 and the car was delivered on 10/29/05. The dealer Eric Von Schledorn (EVS) was delivering four others that day. They also had drop shipped cars in Maryland,Florida and Arkansas the same week.
    They are the largest Corvette dealer in WI. They are located in Random Lake WI. approx 40 miles north of Milwaukee.
    The discount off MSRP was $3170.00
  • rootboy66rootboy66 Member Posts: 3
    I've got the hots for a low-optioned, automatic, yellow, 2006 coupe and have never bought or ordered a new car. Dealer reduced price $3,000 from $46,600 down to $43,600 without my asking. Are sales slow and do I have more bargaining room down to about $41,500 - $42,000? I've studied all 80+ msgs on this forum, many thanks for advice. It sounds like a dealer's Corvette allocation from GM is based on prior year Corvette sales. Is that true?
    If they unload a low demand unit then they can try to get a higher demand unit in the future and get a better return. For pricing I'd compare to Kerbeck Chevy, links above since that is the highest volume dealer in the country. Most local dealers aren't even close on discounts, so if you are in the ball park it sounds like a pretty good deal. You can always make an offer and if they don't accept tell them to let you know in a week and if they call but want you to come up, let them know your offer stands but won't be as high next time. Question always is, how much do you want it?
    I think sales are slower and as already mentioned, you got nothing to lose but time if you make an offer. I got my 05 in April for $5K off but it has Mag ride, nav, and dual tops so the invoice was a little higher.

I personally like yellow, I really haven't found a color I don't like on the C6 though.
  • maukaonyxmaukaonyx Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

I'd dearly love to get a C6, but can't get one brand new. I am wondering what you think the coupe with MT and low miles (under 10k)would be selling for in maybe two years? Basic 04's are in my price range of $30k-40k right now. It would be great if that would be the range for 05 or 06 C6 coupes two years from now. For me anyway! Your thoughts?
    You could get a basic '05 now for $40k. The dealers are discounting these heavily. I read that someone got $5k off of one. A base '05 C6 with no options opens at $43k, so you can deal from there. Why wait two years when you can get one new?
    I agree the C6 is nice but it still is having first year issues that may still pop up. The C5 on the other hand is fully sorted and since I got the wife's for under $40k new a year ago I see them as more affordable by a pretty good margin. Also there are always good garage queen, show cars available from those trading up if you take time and look around. Except for the pop up headlights on the C5 I like it better than the C6's I've come across at this point. Then the gremlins in the new keyless locking and starting system would keep me on the side lines for awhile yet. Nothing bad that I know personally but seems the system can be quirky and they may sort some of that out, yet.

As to price differentials in two years, figure on what I call the cost of a Vette, about $5k per year decline and that drops some after the first couple years. Then again it is more a function of the economy, etc., than Vette specific.
    I don't disagree with the pricing but since a very small % of Vettes go out with no options I'd be wary of getting one that way unless you have a specific target use, like the track, and plan to keep the car until it dies. The prices you see for used Vettes are mostly for highly optioned cars since that is the way most ship in the first place.
    Randy
    That's correct. However if a person truly wants one, they could search dealers inventory nationwide, especially since the '06's are rolling in daily. Neighbor bought a '05 at Chuck Hutton Chevy in Memphis for $37500. 6 miles on the odo and 6-speed. He drove from Maine just to pick it up. It is difficult to find a "stripper", but it can be done. His C4 and C5 were base models. I think he's just in it for the thrill and no frills.:)
  • isgtisgt Member Posts: 1
    I've had them both, a loaded c-5 and a stripper c-6 the c-5 was great when everything worked, I feel that the c-6 will have much less electrical problems and the regular seats are better than the sport seats. I drive mine for work in all of the weather but snow. The value is a well maintained used Corvette with some miles, you'll get a great car for a lot less money . these cars eat up miles.
    Try finding a used stripper, thats the ones with the lest problems.
    I bet your C6 stripper is much nicer than the C5. It has more content just not all of thrills. IMO, a lot of the frivilous options take away from the driving experience. The C6 stripper is much harder to detect than the C5 when looking on the outside, especially at night with the new HID headlights.
  • g2369g2369 Member Posts: 60
    Does anybody have some leasing experiences they would like to share? I'm in the market for either an '05 or an '06. What are you guys paying monthly? How much did you have to put down? Etc.....
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    What's everyone think? 05' Targa top, pwr seats, heads up display, leather, polished alum wheels, XM radio, 1900 miles for $35K?
    Get the Carfax, and if all checks out, go for it. If at all possible, try to negotiate more on the price. $35K is sweet, but $33.5 is awesome. Good luck.:)
  • g2369g2369 Member Posts: 60
    Does anybody have some leasing experiences they would like to share? I'm in the market for either an '05 or an '06. What are you guys paying monthly? How much did you have to put down? Etc.....
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for your response. I'll shoot for a lower price for sure.
  • vettecrazyvettecrazy Member Posts: 2
    I'm next in line at my dealership for my Z06 delivery which is estimated to be after the first of the year. Is there a way to inquire online using my order number to keep posted on the status? I would like to not pester my dealership until I need to for service, etc. JRRCC6 is the order number.
  • vettecrazyvettecrazy Member Posts: 2
    Every time I looked into leasing, there were many costs that were buried. The details are many and too numerous to list. If you get all of the figures and then look at what it will cost you at the end of the lease (calculate true estimated worth of the vehicle at lease end) you can carefully weigh the comparison to buying. Everyone I know that has leased, did not have a good experience.
  • blueracerblueracer Member Posts: 2
    Any chance of getting a dealer to honor the GM supplier program?

The local dealers are not interested, although willing to negotiate a price below MSRP, but not as low as supplier pricing.

I have contacted some of the largest dealers and they have not returned calls or emails as of yet. It seems that the demand has slowed to the level where some may be interested in supplier pricing, although perhaps only on in stock coups.

Love the car, want the deal.
    Several of the large dealers that work the internet are accepting GMS and GMID. Sales are slower than last year and they have big inventories with more cars on the way. So check out the "corvette forum" and you will see the dealer ads. Some of the dealers will do an order others want to sell from stock. So for orders you can fly and drive home, courtesy delivery to a local GM dealer, or do the Corvette Museum delivery and drive home.

If I ever get another new Vette I am going to do the Museum delivery.
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    Are the cars delivered through Museum Delivery the same as the ones you get at a dealer?
    Same cars, some say the predelivery inspection the cars go through during the Museum Delivery process is as good as it gets though. Anything that isn't up to their quality standards gets fixed before you get the car.
    Interesting thing about Corvette delivery. To most people it is still just a car, but to some Corvette delivery is a major part of the experience. When you order a Corvette you can get the production number info from the dealer as the car goes through the plant. When you take delivery at the Museum or from a dealer that is into Corvettes they point out all the places, like on the tires where there is a specific number that corresponds to your production order. That is the way the plant keeps the different order options straight as it flows through production and gets you the car exactly as ordered.
  • davenichedaveniche Member Posts: 1
    Jmess:

I am sorry to hear about the problem you posted yesterday regarding your Z06. I hope things work out for the better -- or even the BEST. I know how you feel, as I have been GM's guinea pig (sp?) for the original C5 in 1997. I was among the first to find two of their eventual recall items.

Here's why I am writing. I've been reviewing a bunch of info regarding the recent pricing of the 2006 Vettes -- NOT the Z06s. This isn't my first ride in the Corvette Purchase Rodeo and it won't surprise you to hear that the prices I've paid for different vettes over the years -- when compared to their sticker, changes radically based on Economics 101 ... supply and demand. At this time of year, are you hearing that actual prices being paid are flexible (i.e. below sticker) and if so HOW FLEXIBLE -- $3K or $5K or maybe at the end of a month when its been raining for about 6 weeks $22K? !!!! ? How can I find out the city where a "glut" of supply may be sitting?

A long time ago I bought the first C-5 to hit the Southeast US. I literally bought it sight unseen and before even driving a C-5 at all. Then, since it was the first year of the new body style, I paid "Sticker" PLUS $6K. I help Chevy iron out several bugs and later bought a 2002 for roughly $4K below sticker. Each time I have stroked a check on the spot.

The picture you posted as message #25 several months ago is THE EXACT car I'm looking for.

Please provide me with some details regarding a couple of matters. I'm directing my inquiry to you because you seem to be a regular "poster" of messages on the web and you seem to be up to speed on a variety of issues. Understand that I know the car (the 2005 and 2006 Vette) inside and out. My questions are:

1) What is your feel for the current supply and demand situation at this very moment. I know it varies from city to city, but as a 3,000,000 miler with Delta, I'll hop on a plane and have a pleasant cruise home in a heartbeat.

2) I've decided not to buy a Z06, as a result, I'm having difficulties figuring out whether or not the Z51 Suspension Package is a must or not. I completely understand what it is and how that effects the handling, but I'm also told that the new drilled rotors are loud, eat pads and that the combination of all the Z51 components absolutely EAT tires. What's your opinion.

3) Wonder why the middle grade suspension (the magnetic adjustable ride)is SO hard to find. All I can find is either the Z51 or the standard base package -- which by the way -- ain't chopped liver.

4) Even if I don't get the Z51 Suspension package, don't I still want to get the 3.42 Ratio Rear Axle?

I've got more questions, but will spare you the agony and would be grateful for any answers you are willing to provide for the 4 questions listed above.

I'd also appreciate the names of some of the other people you "chat" with who you think have a good working knowledge of vettes in general. If you don't know the answer to any of the stuff I've listed above, perhaps they will be able to provide some insight.

I'm thankin' ya in advance!

Regards,

Daveniche
    I don't have Z06 so that wasn't me talking about problems with one.

If you check out "forums corvetteforum com" and "DigitalCorvettes com" you will see what the big internet dealers are offering ($5K off in most cases). You can do better if you can find somebody to set you up with "GM Supplier" or "GM In Your Driveway" discounts.

If you have the time I think doing the factory tour and museum delivery would be a lot of fun. I thought the whole idea was sort of silly until I had mine for a few months. At some point I started to realize what a piece of automotive art these things are. It is pretty hard not to be impressed with all the history and passion that surrounds these cars. I think I have fallen in love with the dam thing. Even my wife digs it which is even more surprising to me.

I personally like the F55 setup (MagRide) in my car. I have noticed that there aren't as many F55s around. But you can easily order a car with F55. I think they have cured most of the brake squealing in the Z51 with some updated pads. I think tire wear is the most common complaint I have seen about the Z51. Some find the ride to be too stiff on a day to day basis but most who bought the Z51 seemed to understand the trade offs; beside you can stick aftermarket Z51 badges and stickers all over your car :-). A Corvette is a fun car to drive no matter what suspension setup it has.

I have also noticed that in my area the dealers are stocking a lot of lower optioned cars to keep the prices down; now that supply has exceeded demand. When I bought my car in Mar 05 all the C6s available in my area had MSRPs in 52-56 range.

The standard M6 and Z51 M6 have the same 3.42 axle but different gears.

• jdanieljdaniel Member Posts: 4
    About to buy my first 'vette, and not sure of which direction to go. I have a '03 Z71 Tahoe I am going to trade in, and these are possibilities.

- New '05, at $7011 under invoice, ($48,869). They have offered $23K for my Tahoe, which has a trade in value range of $21,925 to $25,200, lowest being Carpoint, highest being NADA, with Edmunds being right in the middle. I think this is a good trade value, as I used "Excellent" in my valuations, (which dealers hate to see), and the new '07 Tahoe is out already.

- Buying a new '06, using the GM Supplier Discount. Have had a number of dealers in the Austin/Houston area refuse to accept that, but a few in the Dallas area haven't said no, and are looking for a car that fits my parameters. The prices would be about the same as the '05, if I used the discount, but the car would be a year newer, and I may be able to get pretty close to exactly what I want, (color/transmission/magnetic ride may be changed from the '05, but I could live with everything that is on that car). The catch here is what I would get on a trade form one of these dealers that is potentially already losing some income from the supplier discount, compared to selling it to someone that doesn't have the discount.

- The third option would be to work with a very good used Corvette dealer here. He has some beautiful cars, and is close to the $23K on the trade, as the result of a brief conversation on Friday. He may be able to get a couple thousand below the price of the new '05, and has an '05 with auto/magnetic ride, with 5600 miles, and about $900 less than the new '05, with no negotiation so far. Not sure how much warranty is remaining on that one, the new '05 would have the complete package.

As usual, I am trying to see all the angles, and am having paralysis analysis. Guess I am wondering what you folks thought about the situation... Thanks for any help.