Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    is not that bad. And it's re-useable. But when you buy the whole intake system then IMO you've spent too much. Which I did on an AirAid. (Approx. $300 for 10 hp and 20 lbs. ft.)
  • investedinvested Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone have a link to the Chevy bulletins? The one I bookmarked from geocities is no longer avalible.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • dcontedconte Member Posts: 4
    Ok,

I need helping in narrowing the buying decision. I want the Av, but I am not sure what model, the 1500, or the 2500.

I have tried the pro and con list but I need advice from those who have experience with the Av.

I do a ton of camping and MTN bike Riding, I tow a Coleman Tent Trailer, about 3500 lbs loaded, I live in California and I am in the snow 5 to 8 times a year. I commute a short distance but love road trips.

Should I go with the 1500 with the 4.10 axle, even though this hurts gas economy, or go with the 3.73.

Should I go with the beef, 2500 with the 8100.

Also should I go with the Z71 package or just the standard 4x4 package. The Z66 does not interest me, I want a 4x4, I have Durango now, and I love it, but the Av has the versitlity I long for.

Also is ther an aftermarket chip that will improve performance, such as bumping up the horse power.

I know you guys can help, thanks
    DC
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    DC - For everything you get with the Z71, hands down it is the way to go. The 1500 will handle the 3,500# trailer easily, take your pick of the 3.73s or 4.10s. If you have a short commute, you might go with the 4.10 as the Av is so heavy, it will make it feel a little snappier. On short trips, the MPG penalty will be negligible.

Now, as to the 2500, are you a bigger is better freak? I haven't driven the 2500, but the ride has to be compromised some by the rear leafs. Wheels/tires/suspension are not enhanced by a Z71 package, but shields are available. MPG in low teens max - min = ? 1500 should get the same or a little better than your D'ango.
    I did a chip on my '92 Jimmy in order to run a cooler thermostat without having to worry about running in open loop. Chips can change shift points, quicken shifts, optimize fuel/air at WOT, etc. - but they are not a magical horsepower booster. The HPIII will give these benefits, but it's not like turning up the pump on a diesel.

Gandolphxx did a major change - whipple, headers, and more - true horsepower gainers.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Buy what you can afford.

The 2500 has to have less comfy ride due to the harsher suspension..

The trailor weight you mentioned is nothing for any avy setup.

Good Luck
    I believe I have my answer,

I am going to go with the 1500 Z71 with 4.10.

Any thoughts about leather packages, I have full leather now, and love it, summer in California gets hot and my legs if sticky on the seats at times, is the leather -cloth combo the better choice or stay with the full leather.

I already spoke to the dealer, whatever, I decide I am going to get it at invoice.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    DC
    DC - No experience with the cloth/leather; we have leather w/the heated seats for our cold Midwest winters (that's what sold the wife on getting the truck). I also prefer the leather for cleaning.

Have you demo'd both? IMO, GM has some of the ugliest cloth on the market, along with Ford and Dodge.
    I test drove both full leather and the sport cloth leather seats.

The leather is better plus you get more power controls!!!!!

Oh the heat yes go leather!!
  • outdoorplacesoutdoorplaces Member Posts: 31
    Dude - go full leather. I've got it in my Avalanche. All the magazine reviews rip the cloth/leather combo for being low quality. The full leather seats are high quality, give you driver/passanger power seats with power lumbar and side bolsters as well as rear-end warmers (OK, not a big deal in So Cal).

They're a lot better though and you get more features for your bucks - I'd say it's the only way to go.
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    Don't forget there is very little leather in any of the Big 3's leather seat. You'll notice it says leather seating surfaces. The only part of the seat that is leather is the center part of the seat that touches your butt and your lower back. Sometimes there is leather on the armrest and on the door panel. You pay a couple thousand extra for about 4 square feet of leather and the rest is vinyl. The whole rear seat and seat backs are vinyl. If you ask me, the leather should be a discount
    a company, "Classic Soft Trim" that does interiors, sunroofs, etc. for Dealers. Your best bet here is to buy one with cloth and have the Dealer take it there to have the leather done. Not much diff. in total cost and a better grade of leather. I used to work right next door and asked about doing my truck but they stick it to individuals.
    I checked this out pretty closely when paying over a grand for the leather upgrade. The seating surfaces - everything that touches your backside - are leather on the Av. Sides, backs and armrests are vinyl. The rear seat is also all leather on the seats, again everywhere your butt and back contact. Our F150 Lariat rear seat was all vinyl, and I believe the GM X-cabs are as well, but this is not the case on the Av.
    It still rocks with all the power controls!!!!!
  • gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    Do you feel personally offended or insulted when a person in this forum calls your truck "ugly"?

I'm just wondering.... Always been a mystery to me why people make negative comments, and I was wondering what kind of effect these comments would have on you.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    "Always been a mystery to me why people make negative comments"

Either jealousy or some sort of inadequecy
    about how the (My) Sierra grille resembles a large mouth Bass. Remember that "eye of the beholder" thing?
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    Truck Trend does not care if people call this (IMHO) awesome and very beautiful Father of the Pontiac AZTEK vehicle - ugly. It has been named MOTOR TREND'S 2002 TRUCK of the YEAR in the March/April issue.

Regards to all Truck loving people.

Andy

PS Been checking out this truck for some time. I may swap my lil 'ole '00 Reg cab C2500 for one.
    and feel free to do the same.
  • gandolphxxgandolphxx Member Posts: 19
    The 2500 rides like a 2500 Suburban - pretty smooth for 6500 lbs of truck. Don't guess, drive one.

On chips and or HT III - wait for it - they aren't ready yet - try Jet Performance SCU2000 for the speed limiter and tire size - cheaper.

Before the TOG headers, NGK TR6, Nology wires and WHIPPLE:

60': 2.564   1/4 mi 16.863 @ 81.88

AFTER:

60': 2.346   1/4 mi 15.088 @ 91.49

with Firestone Steeltex tires and 6500 lbs to move.

mods @ http://www.gandolphxx.com

tx - Just so people won't think it was my largemouth comment. I don't remember the post, was it another thread? BTW, I prefer the GMC grills to the bowtie bar - I wish GMC had an Av sibling.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    It was another tim....
    Apparently he has a sarcastic sense of humor (much like me). At least I'm assuming it's humor. It was awhile back on one of the Silverado or Sierra threads.
  • rmack311rmack311 Member Posts: 4
    had a kenwood dvd tv installed in my av its great but I have two questions, 1- any good sites for auto/tv stuff, I am trying to find a boomerrang antenna...
    2- where can i get nice license plate covers...
  • outdoorplacesoutdoorplaces Member Posts: 31
    Well, the folks at Edmunds have put me on notice I can't mention a certain unmentionable website.

I'm working on setting up Avalanche - Cadillac Escalde EXT cruises/meets between May and July in the following metro areas:

Boston
    New York
    Philly/Baltimore/DC
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Miami
    Memphis
    Detriot
    Chicago
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Denver
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Houston
    San Antonio
    Phoenix
    Seattle/Tacoma
    San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland/Sacremento
    Los Angeles/San Diego

Right now people are signed up in Boston, Philly/Baltimore/DC, Chicago, Memphis, Seattle/Tacoma, San Fran Bay Area, and Los Angeles/San Diego.

If you're interested in meeting other Avalanche or EXT owners to go on a cruise (no 4X4 off-road stuff) and have a good time - as well as discuss regular meetings - well we can talk about it here.

Folks that use the site I can't mention - don't bring it up - lets respect Edmunds.

Thanks!
    Didn't you see it coming? With promoting the cruises, etc. you'll be off Edmund's soon. An unmentioned fan club has taken the traffic here to nil.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Your still left Tim, looked at a caddie this weekend 51K with no options, add a power moonroof($1550) and diamond pearl white paint ($990)put it up to 53.5K. I gotta admit I like the color coded sides better then the gray plastic, but thats a lot of money for a dinner date.
    had a kenwood dvd tv installed in my av its great but I have two questions, 1- any good sites for auto/tv stuff, I am trying to find a boomerrang antenna...
    2- where can i get nice license plate covers...
    Well,

I am disappointed that the main discussion has moved to that other site not to be named.

Much of the info is critical, and if people come to this site and are not aware why the traffic has stopped, will they really take the time to figure out why? I know I would frustrated.

For instance I am on the verge of buying but questions have come, like is the Tahoe really better choice then the Av, and what is the story about the Northface edition, and what are the colors that look good with that interior look, and can we buy the instrument cluster of the Northface, etc...

Now I need to go to another site, that is not right, just like people bashing people rather then a free flow of opinons, and they are just opinons, no need to make topics personal, now the serious Av owners have moved on, what has all this accomplished?

DC
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I am also interested in buying an Av and have questions, and also have considered a Tahoe or Suburban. This past weekend I got into an unlocked used 2001 Tahoe on the local dealer lot to check out the interior. I was not impressed with the condition of the interior. Either the vehicle has poor quality or the first owner beat the vehicle up (it only had 17,000 miles on it). The rear doors squeaked when opened and closed, the rear inside door handle was loose. The seat material seemed flimsy and I envision they would wear out having to constantly lift up the seat bottom and then fold down the back rest on a regular basis. The running boards seemed to be in the way. Maybe for shorter people they are useful. Also, how can you access the rear seat when the floor is flat and very high (obviously not a problem in the Av)? Seems like you would need to be a kid to crawl back there, or step on the back of the middle row seat and get it all dirty and worn over time. Additionally, when sitting in the middle row seats, it was difficult for me to swing my feet out the door because of the door sill. I don't remember if I experienced that problem when exiting the Av.

Since the Av's cabin is based on the Tahoe/Suburban, I'm wondering if there will be problems with the interior quality or functionality. Or was this just an isolated case of car abuse by the Tahoe owner? Any thoughts?
  • wingsitwingsit Member Posts: 2
    Well I will tell you alot of the questions you ask are personal opinion. Colors and style are what you want and like. If everybody liked the same, think how boring life would be. As far as the quality goes in any new mass produced vehicle it is all in maintenance by the owner. I believe in 1990 the Lumina APV was rated below average in CR in about every category. However it still has the same engine and tranny at 200,000 and other than 2 sets of brakes and an alternator is all I had to put into it. Now my 1996 grand caravan had to have a tranny at 105,000, and you know the reputation they have. I have a White Z66 with leather and think it is the best looking and functional vehicle on the road, but that's my opinion.
  • tmltml Member Posts: 10
    I have looked at the Avalance extensively and basically like the vehicle - but I have two questions.

1. Has anyone seen a 2500 series Avalanche yet?

2. Why would Chevy design the truck so you can't fit a decent size four wheeler (ATV) in the bed. When I took measurements at the dealer and then measured my Polaris - my four wheeler is 3" wider than the brackets for the hard tonneau cover. Is this just a major engineering screwup?

I also recently drove a Silverado CC 4x4 with the 8.1L and Allison and could not believe how much power that truck had! What an engine!!
    "1. Has anyone seen a 2500 series Avalanche yet?"

Yep lots
  • skidmarksskidmarks Member Posts: 47
    If there would have been a moderator for this site the main traffic wouldn't have flowed to a certain unmentionable dedicated Avalanche site that from here forth shall be unnamed. Thanks go out to f1jules and other spoilers like him!
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    I'm sure nobody went to other sites with a gun to their head, I'm not an AV owner, like many people that cruise in & out of this forum, but to say certain people forced others out, thats going a bit far. I myself I have 3 or 4 vehicle web sites I visit. The down slide from Edm. went when they changed to the new format and it has never quite recovered.

I have owned gm products in the past and the interior has held up to alot of abuse, if you take care of your vehicle, then it should last. If something breaks get it fixed, wheather it's under warranty or not, if you let it go, chances are it will have the domino effect and cause other related problems.

As for why gm designed a truck that an ATV doesn't fit in, they do, but just not the AV, in my opinion the AV was built for the family person, that needed the occasional 8 ft bed. It has the towing capability to tow a trailer with your ATVs. If you want an ATV in the bed, you need to buy a regular pickup, be it a reg, ext or a crew cab.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    Chev interiors-I have noticed that the interior of GM vehicles is not very durable. I went to the L.A. Auto Show last year and remember getting into a Corvette and I noticed that the interior was a shambles. The leather was creased and looked horrible. I also have noticed this on many used Fords I've looked at-specifically the Explorers. Under 60k miles and the interior looks like the vehicle has 120k miles on it.
    its all in how you take care of it

Did they use any leather treatments? Conditioners? Manual for my moms blazer states i forget once or twice a yr to use leather conditioner on her seats. After 2.5 yrs they still look new
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Check out www.lear.com
    They make interior parts , seats, etc
    for ALL brands of cars and trucks.
    Check it out you will be suprised !
    Do you think they make toyota plastic
    parts better than the ones for GM ?
    I think not. Price prob the same.
    ........Geo
    BTW: I think the AV 2500 is awesome
    and wish it was offered in May 01
    when I got my new Pickup !
    All I know is that this was a brand new Corvette. People are getting in and out of the auto show cars all day long and the seats on that Vette looked like crap. That stood out in my mind is all I'm saying. I don't remember any other car interior looking as bad or as worn as the seats in that Vette.
    This is not my only experience with GM cars by the way. I could name countless other examples of poor workmanship and cheap materials but I'm not going to. Just take my word for it.
    It doesn't take long. Leather durability - almost 14k and the interior still looks like new, but I do take care of it. The 2500s are out there - why only 16" wheels? I have had an ATV in the back of the Av - a difference in dimensions between models and mfrs. The Av is versatile, but it can't do everything.
  • avalanche1avalanche1 Member Posts: 5
    Well with the current $2002 rebate & financing I bought a red Z71 a few weeks ago. It came with the sport leather interior, convenience package, and 4.1 rear differential. I am absolutely thrilled with this vehicle in all areas: ride, power, design, and especially fit and finish. My last new car was a 95 Astro which has proved very reliable but the fit & finish was disappointing. Not so with the Avalanche. I am glad to have opted for the sport leather which includes fabric inserts on the door panels as well as the seats. The seats are extremely comfortable and the cloth helps negate the need for heat. I struggled with the Z71 & convenience packages but am now glad I have them. Anyways, just a five star review for anyone shopping. Regarding leather seats, they need to be taken care of with conditioners to stay looking good over the long hall. The 4.1 rear ratio will cost a bit in fuel but I love the get up and go and it will really come into use towing my travel trailer over western mountains this summer.
    with leather and other than some creases, which any seat is going to have if you sit in it, they look really. The drivers seat is the only one thst even has creases as it's usually just the Wife in it. I've only treated the leather a couple times in 40k miles. And to stay on subject, I hope your Avs are as good as our Explorer has been. Can't get her to trade it for a Yukon.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Check out any 6-7 yo car. No matter
    what brand. They all look creased
    and cheap esp. cars in the sun belt !
    The leather in my 96 caddy is wrinkled!
    Not ripped or anything...But Comfy too.
    Woman wants new car with NO leather !
    Prob. www.lear.com made them too !
    She loves the cloth seats in my truck.
    If she didn't want a new car this year
    i would trade my 01 2500 pickup.
    for a 2500 AV with plow prep of course !
    Syracuse NY winters are brutal on cars....Geo

BTW: Txyank I had a 94 Yukon loved it and
    plowed with it too ! But needed a pickup
    and had to get one !
  • mars04mars04 Member Posts: 2
    Question:
    I have been looking at the Avalanche for a few months now. I have driven one twice, and even took one home overnight a few weeks ago. Both my wife and I love it, and intend to use it as a family vehicle. The only question I have is if I should buy the 2WD-Z66, or 4WD-Z71?

My question comes down to this: Does anyone know how well the Z66 package with traction control really works? I live in Ohio, so most of the time we could probably do without the 4WD and save a little money. Just not sure how well the Z66 traction control and differential lock would be? Anyone actually have a Z66 that has had it in the snow or mud?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    with GM's cloth seat (other than the ugly prints on the light-colored Chevy's) is it's like sitting on velcro. You have to raise up off the seat to shift position! Does help keep you from sliding around in those "esses" though.
    I too am moving to the other better website, when ever i post a message no one answers me......
  • brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    I'm one of them. My wife and I wanted the extra horses and capacity for the to-be-purchased trailer. We did opt for the more fuel economic 3.73 rear (hmmm, 11 vs 12 mpg :). My boss has the 1500 with the Z offroading package. We both love the AV.

I check both this and THE OTHER AV web site. More traffic on the other site. :)
  • mars04mars04 Member Posts: 2
This discussion has been closed.